User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"Hi ive been on prozac 60mg for 10years the drug is miraculous it got me out of a hole, but as i suffer from ocd i decided to self medicate with drink and drugs also that led me me to a 12 step fellowship! Now 7half years without a drink or drug im self medicating on prozac which is not v good! It got to last friday i had taken probly 4 tablets in 2 weeks and just crashed! Im now back on 60mg a day but having bouts of anxiety again and thinking its not real, im hoping this is just the side affects of the prozac again getting in system, im tired headache and anxiety thinking"

Taximan42 August 23, 2015

" Recommend using Lovan 20mg the generic brand of Prozac. Break in half to start at 10mg a day. Your looking for small signs of success. Keep a daily journal of your time taking it so you can look back TRUST ME this helps when spotting reaction patterns and finding right exact dosage amount. For some LESS Prozac is more benefit. Mania / sweating / twitching muscles was part of my first 2 months but settled down. Alcohol leaves toxins in your blood for 2 days that stop the medication working fully. Sex drive gone by 80%.** I have still had to apply daily mental awareness techniques and being aware of my thoughts to get great results. Not been a cure all but is brilliant"

Hugo. Depressive episodes. Ocd. Tourettes. Anxiety April 25, 2015

"Prozac really saved my life 6 years ago when I was suffering from major Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Insomnia related to it. Tried to stop it few times but always had to come back. No sexual side effects even at 40mg/day. Unofortunately it seemed that the medicine had pooped-out on me after 5 years and I currently started taking Paxil."

Jeff235235 March 24, 2015

"I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!"

piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

"I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD."

Nord January 21, 2015

"Saved my life."

Raya1128 October 22, 2014

"I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal."

Southern Summer September 15, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have Obessive compulsive disorder which causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Prozac has improved my quality of life I'm now a calm happy person with a great family of my own after being on Prozac a year. It really helps me focus on the real problems in my life and reaching a resolution instead of just feeling overwhelmed. It also greatly increases my energy and focus! It does not make me a zombie to emotion but it does prevent me from obsessing and lingering on how things make me feel. I still feel sad anger etc but in normal amounts like everyone else. Aside from very detailed dreams I've had no negative side effects. "

RayS45672 June 14, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again."

DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2013

"I have been taking 60mg of Prozac a day for the last 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)when I was 14. Have lived with OCD and anxiety ever since. I'm now 32 and for the last two years since taking Prozac I feel normal again. I have experienced no side effects but did quickly realize that alcohol does not mix. But, I'd rather give up alcohol than go back to a mental institution."

fishcake dai October 11, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In 1990 (age 45) I had a nervous breakdown. I did a lot of strange things and ended up in a mental ward. Because of medication I was taking I developed a problem with simple walking. While at the hospital, I decided to re-teach myself to walk normally. I practiced all the time. I got it right by the time I left but I found it was now impossible to stop walking back and forth, I was pacing all the time. This went on at least a year. Then my doctor thought that PROZAC would possibly help me. After starting Prozac, 2 weeks into it, I sat down and no longer needed to pace.....aaaahhhhh...Peace at last. I continue to take it for depression, no side effects noticed."

venus8i8 (taken for 10 years or more) August 15, 2013

"It was very disappointing when Zoloft and Ability didn't work for me, but Prozac began working within 4 to 5 days of taking. This medicine is working good for my OCD."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Prozac has changed my life. I've suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, and Depression since I was in my pre-teens. I've tried Celexa and Paxil, but couldn't sleep at all while using them. I asked my physician to prescribe Prozac on the advice of a friend and I've had amazing results. I started at 10 mg a day and increased to 20 mg a day after a month. I noticed that I was drowsy and unmotivated during the day when I took the medicine in the morning, so I switched to a bedtime dose and I haven't noticed any side effects since then. Prozac makes me calmer and much more in control of my fears. Others who didn't know I had gone on medication have noticed a positive change as well. I've been on Prozac for 4 months."

Thank you Prozac (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2012

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I love Prozac. It really helped with keeping me relaxed and in a decent mood and severely lessened my need to feed the OCD. For some reason my doctor recommended that I should try Zoloft instead. For the first two weeks on Zoloft I had diarrhea and now after six months on it I am starting to have moderate to severe pain in my legs. My leg muscles always feel as if they need a good stretch."

quetzacotl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2012

"I took Prozac for 15 years and it worked great for obsessive compulsive disorder! About 3 years ago I started noticing "mania" where I couldn't sleep or sit still to even eat. After seeing several different doctors who treated it with medication for ADHD or Bi-polar it was determined that it was a side effect to Prozac so I stopped taking Prozac and all the mania stopped. Google shows two side effects to Prozac are 1) can't sit still and 2) can't sleep at night. I wanted to share this unusual experience to help any others who may be experiencing mania and can't figure out why. If you too are on Prozac then it may be a side effect but check with your doctor. "

Anonymous March 9, 2012

"I've only been taking Prozac for a very short while but once it started to kick in, it was like waking up from a three year-long OCD/major depressive nightmare. I feel like myself for the first time in forever. I've tried other antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines and nothing else has worked for me. I'm already having less obsessive thoughts and compulsions, and the crippling sense of dread, anxiety and panic that accompanies my OCD is lifting. I just started it recently so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the preliminary results have been amazing. I'm so grateful to feel like a human being again."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Prozac for 6 years continually. Started at 20mg/day and went up to 100mg/day at times. My new doctor took me off of Prozac 2 years ago and put me on another medication. I have gained 90 pounds in 2 years. I am pulling out my hair again, intrusive thoughts. I had no side effects from Prozac, no loss of sexual drive. I LOVED (and still love) Prozac. As a matter of fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see about getting back on Prozac!"

Anonymous December 4, 2011

"I took this medicine for OCD. It helped however I put on 30 pounds in 2 months and that's with not changing my diet or exercise. I've been off it for 3 months and the scale hasn't moved at all. "

Anonymous November 15, 2011

"Taking 10mg for OCD and social phobia with very satisfactory results. Only side effects I've experienced are loss of appetite and mild forgetfulness. I have not experienced a loss of sexual desire, in fact my libido has increased somewhat."

Anonymous October 28, 2011

"I've taken Prozac for 15 years, started when my husband was critically ill. It was a life saver, it stopped me from crying all the time. He passed away in 1998 and continued taking it for depression..was taking 40mg a day and yes it takes all sexual desire away. I remarried 6 years ago. I weened myself off of it because of that. I developed Compulsive Overeating...that's all I thought about. I gained a lot of weight so I'm back on it. I could care less about sex. I don't like going to sleep the dreams are vivid, but it does help me with my appetite. I don't think about food all the time like I did."

madougl October 7, 2011

"I have been taking Prozac for almost 2 yrs for my OCD and depression. The medicine has done wonders for my disability but has done nothing good for my relationship with my boyfriend. Prozac has taken my sex drive completely away. We try everything to bring it back but nothing works. I had no choice but to take myself off the medicine."

Anonymous March 22, 2011

"I have been on Prozac for almost a year. Although my dose has been upped a couple of times, I feel like I have my life back. I know what quality of life is now."

Anonymous February 3, 2011

"I've been on Prozac for about 4-5 months. My doctor started me on the lowest dosage (10mg) and we had to increase it. Currently, I've been on 40mg/day for about 5 weeks or so. It seems to be helping me with my OCD somewhat. I've noticed that I haven't been quite as bad as I used to be, but I'm also seeing a counselor, which is helping as well. I've heard that for OCD, you may need to go as high as 60-80mg for people with OCD. We may change my dosage in the future."

Anonymous December 28, 2010

"I have been on Prozac for about 3 months and I must admit that it is a wonderful drug. It helps me control anger and anxiety issues that I have. My only complaint is that I seem to get tremors, but I could live with that."

OCD November 10, 2008