Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

Review by Annie1975000: User Rating:

Prozac is great! When you first start, you can feel a little anxious, but hang in there. It has changed my whole outlook on life after being really depressed after a divorce and trying to raise two kids on my own. It gave me the confidence to get a job and enjoy working again. Before it, I had little confidence. I love laughing again, which I do a lot now! No side effects for me, except feeling a bit weird and anxious for the first few weeks.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 7:15 AM
Review by Just a guy (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It works. It wasn't the magic bullet for me (Wellbutrin was it for me) but I still take this in a 20mg dose to help with things. Mainly still taking it because I was tapered down from 40mg which was giving me sexual side effects, while simultaneously upping the Wellbutrin, and have been stable ever sense so Dr just wants to let it be because it's working. Going to ask for a reduction in this next time though as I feel that the Wellbutrin is most likely enough on its own at the high dose I am currently on (600mg). This medicine is definitely worth trying and works for lots of people, just wasn't the end all be all for me personally.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 4:58 AM
Review by Meooooooooooow: User Rating:

I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for only 5 days. I have noticed some changes already. I have the worst anxiety and for the past 3 days, stressful situations seem a tad bit less stressful for me. I already lost 4-5 pounds on it. It makes me never think about food anymore. It makes me not hungry for hours. Even a small granola bar can keep me satisfied and full for 5-6 hours... But I force myself to have breakfast lunch and dinner. Things seem more brighter, colors are more vivid to me. Overall I think it's starting to work. I will re-respond in a few weeks to touch base.

March 19, 2014 4:58 PM
Review by Zacpro (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks now, I got my script from my GP. I told him I wanted to start with 10mgs in the morning and 10 at night. That didn't work out because it affected the last 4 hrs of sleep. So I just started taking the 20mgs in the morning. At first I would feel jittery for a few hours. Into my 8th week I'm good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading about the side effect a little too thoroughly, by that I mean I read the pharmacology part for health care professionals. There I stumbled on a possible side effect that really bothers me. Alopecia! I'm a man in my early 50s, has anyone heard anything about losing hair on Prozac?

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 11, 2014 12:04 AM
Review by t a (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been on fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks, I started to feel a bit better after 10 days or so, then the last couple of days I been feeling very teary and anxious, I was given diazepam at the start to control the anxiety which I only took a couple of, but find I have had to take them the last couple of days, hope this is just part of the tablets settling and will get better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 3:36 PM
Review by Kruti Patel (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

At first, when I began taking Prozac, I had a lost more "episodes". I just cried in my bedroom for hours; I can't even describe the emotions, if I could even call them that, going through me. It was like a dark part of me took over, and it wanted nothing but an end; I don't even to what. Everything was way worse; multiple suicidal thoughts per a single day were not uncommon. Gradually, I started feeling better; there was no sudden happiness or peace, but I felt normal. Now, I just don't know what's going on with me. Stress and everything is piling up on me, once again. Eating is a chore. I feel like I'm on the brink of falling apart, on the thin line between sanity&insanity. I don't want life or death. I want to not exist. I'm just confused

February 13, 2014 10:52 PM
Review by Sad for forty years (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have started taking Lovan. It has changed my life. I cannot believe it. I wish I had gone on this medication years ago. I have had severe impairing depression my whole life from the earliest age. I cannot believe the difference. I am myself but I am positive, I no longer wake up in the night worrying, I don't have that constant sadness that I could never shake. I feel happy. I feel sane. I actually feel energized sometimes to exercise but I had to take it at night not morning or I was too tired in the day. I switched to night and my life has turned around. The first month was hard with side effects but then taking it at night has changed my life. I absolutely love this medicine and I was a natural medicine freak. Why oh why.

February 13, 2014 4:18 AM
Review by vinpb90: User Rating:

It's always a test of one person. Everyone will have anti-depressants that work best for them. I tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I hated Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me ZERO side effects. No sexual frustration, no irritability, and no insomnia. I'm on my 6th month and just got bumped from 20mg to 40mg because of seasonal depression and feel a HUGE deal better. I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because my appetite and drinking are also under control. I've also heard Prozac is associated with weight loss. If something isn't working for you, give it a try.

February 9, 2014 1:37 PM
Review by annie lou one: User Rating:

I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM
Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM
Review by nomercy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac saved me.

January 6, 2014 3:07 PM
Review by misslayla1998: User Rating:

I have been taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for about a month now. I'm 15 and I am taking it for anxiety disorder and depression. So far it has been working. I have not been at all depressed for a while. It took about a week and a half for it to start making a difference. I noticed that I'm more calm when it comes to stress. I like it. I'm taking 10mg at the moment. The only complaint I have about it, is that I have noticed an increase in appetite, which I hate.

December 28, 2013 7:05 PM
Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM
Review by xzombieLaura: User Rating:

Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM
Review by Ket89: User Rating:

Prozac really worked for me. It kept my depression under control along with my anxiety. Only side affects is you can forget about sex!!! I also experienced short term memory loss.

October 29, 2013 8:38 PM
Review by Phil1987uk (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I suffered with Obsessive compulsive disorder & generalized anxiety disorder which caused depression and stress. I came on here in June looking for answers, I used to be on Sertraline but they stopped working after I had stopped and went back on them. I thought my life was over. I got put on 20mg Prozac by my Doctor, and it is the best medicine ever, I would highly recommend it, it gave me my life back, I am so happy, no more stresses. Also I have no side effects. Give it about 6 weeks trust me and you will see how this works. Unbelievable. 10/10!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2013 5:52 AM
Review by the teen (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

It gave me panic attacks.

September 23, 2013 9:29 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I was put on Prozac after 3 months of Cymbalta failed to have an affect, and a brief and terrifying experience with Geodon. At first it pretty much numbed all of my emotions up, which, after feeling completely crazy on Geodon, was a very welcome experience. Eventually this neutral state of mind began to even out after about 9 months, and I was finally able to start enjoying life again. After two years, I was able to stop taking medication completely. This pill saved my life.

September 5, 2013 11:06 PM
Review by MovieLvr (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I took 20mg of Prozac from age 16 to 27 for depression and anxiety to make sure my conditions didn't interfere with finishing high school and college. It got rid of my anxiety and depression 100 percent. The only negatives for me were that this dose made me hyperactive/harder to concentrate, harder to orgasm, and caused some emotional numbness where it was harder to feel in love.

September 1, 2013 6:20 PM
Review by Smi19: User Rating:

I'm a 20 year old female. I was prescribed Prozac 6 months ago. For the first few weeks I felt great, everything seemed better. After 1 month I became even more depressed, my period was very heavy and lasted weeks at a time. I had disturbing nightmares everything, developed restless legs syndrome, and started grinding my teeth. I was tired constantly and ended up in hospital due to suicidal thoughts. I am now on citalopram and things have never been better.

August 18, 2013 1:13 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am a 60 year old woman who seemed to be depressed all the time. I was always depressed and crying, now I never get depressed and seldom do I cry and things that bothered me, they don't affect me much now, this has been a Godsend for me !

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 10, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by Railer (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I really like this medicine it's only been about 3 weeks and I'm feeling good, but for the last 2 weeks I have had a bloody nose everyday. So I have decided to stop taking it as of today and ask my doctor for a different prescription

July 8, 2013 2:52 AM
Review by Prinkey: User Rating:

Has worked very well for me but seems to be less effective than it was in the beginning. I have been taking for about 5 years.

July 2, 2013 11:38 PM
Review by Brookewong: User Rating:

Started on 10mg while seeing a mental health professional (counselor) simultaneously. Medicine kicked in at about 3 weeks of treatment and got better when MD increased the dosage to 20 mg 6 weeks into treatment. It's been a consistent once daily oral capsule 20 mg for the past 3 1/2 months. Mood has lifted. Wakes up with clear thoughts. Lessened racing negative thoughts. Reduced anticipation of negative events and occurrences. Obsessive compulsive rituals reduced. Answer the phone with more ease and less concerned about making mistakes in front of people. Anxiety greatly reduced, lessened depressive thoughts. Definitely helps you to look forward to life. It works better to see counselor at same time so you can track progress.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 14, 2013 8:17 AM
Review by paries (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

The pill works but it make me dizzy and so sleepy.

May 14, 2013 4:27 AM