Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

Review by Kissoflife123:

It made me crazy. I couldn't eat or sleep or sit still.

September 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Worked well for a 5 years. No side effect. .

September 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by ckris:

I have been in this medicine for 7 months, first started on 20mg, now increasing to 40mg. I am taking it for depression and anxiety. It takes about a month before I see some effects. Mood was lifted and feel calmer but can't stop yawning. In the beginning, I did felt increased anxiety before this subsides...I will continue to take this medicine and hope to get better.

September 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by Amgama:

Prozac is really a life saver.

July 26, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Hv50 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Prozac for just about 3 months. At first I did not notice a difference for about a month then I started feeling more energized for a few weeks however the weight is going on as fast as grass grows. I'm seeing my doctor today and need to switch. I've even been working out, walking and have been more active. The weight gain is awful, at least for me.

June 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

I took Prozac for about 25 years with good results

June 10, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by familiaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Prozac for a month and it really helps with the depression.

May 31, 2014 9:28 AM

Review by olivia_nguyen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking this pill since grade 10 (so I've been on the medication for 4 yrs now) and I haven't experienced any bad side effects. But in my opinion, it didn't fully help me recover. Even over a year I've taken it, I would still get thoughts of suicide or hurting myself, either if it's physically or emotionally. But since last summer when I've told my youth worker about what's been going over in my life and she suggested I go to my psychologist and see if he'll up my dose or use a different medication or using therapy. I've went from 20 to 30 mg and I've been doing a lot better in my college tests and exams.

May 3, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by constance2267 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I can't say enough about how much this medicine has helped me with depression. I spent years in and out of deep depression. I was finally diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder and started Prozac at 20 mg then went up to 40mg. I knew it was helping but I didn't fully realize how much until I forgot to take it for about 5 days. Then I started to feel the hopeless feeling I get with depression and I haven't missed a dose since. I'm one of the lucky ones with no negative side effects. My libido is better than ever and I've actually lost a few pounds. I sleep great and wake up every morning feeling rested and more positive about life than I ever have before.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by gina1977:

Prozac saved my life! 20 mg. I'm on week three. I was out of work for months and couldn't think clear. Then on the third week I woke up, finally got out of my bed and pursued looking for work. Got hired that same day! Yay! I encourage you to stay on Prozac for three weeks to take effect.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Annie1975000:

Prozac is great! When you first start, you can feel a little anxious, but hang in there. It has changed my whole outlook on life after being really depressed after a divorce and trying to raise two kids on my own. It gave me the confidence to get a job and enjoy working again. Before it, I had little confidence. I love laughing again, which I do a lot now! No side effects for me, except feeling a bit weird and anxious for the first few weeks.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 7:15 AM

Review by Just a guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It works. It wasn't the magic bullet for me (Wellbutrin was it for me) but I still take this in a 20mg dose to help with things. Mainly still taking it because I was tapered down from 40mg which was giving me sexual side effects, while simultaneously upping the Wellbutrin, and have been stable ever sense so Dr just wants to let it be because it's working. Going to ask for a reduction in this next time though as I feel that the Wellbutrin is most likely enough on its own at the high dose I am currently on (600mg). This medicine is definitely worth trying and works for lots of people, just wasn't the end all be all for me personally.

March 26, 2014 4:58 AM

Review by Meooooooooooow:

I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for only 5 days. I have noticed some changes already. I have the worst anxiety and for the past 3 days, stressful situations seem a tad bit less stressful for me. I already lost 4-5 pounds on it. It makes me never think about food anymore. It makes me not hungry for hours. Even a small granola bar can keep me satisfied and full for 5-6 hours... But I force myself to have breakfast lunch and dinner. Things seem more brighter, colors are more vivid to me. Overall I think it's starting to work. I will re-respond in a few weeks to touch base.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by Zacpro (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks now, I got my script from my GP. I told him I wanted to start with 10mgs in the morning and 10 at night. That didn't work out because it affected the last 4 hrs of sleep. So I just started taking the 20mgs in the morning. At first I would feel jittery for a few hours. Into my 8th week I'm good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading about the side effect a little too thoroughly, by that I mean I read the pharmacology part for health care professionals. There I stumbled on a possible side effect that really bothers me. Alopecia! I'm a man in my early 50s, has anyone heard anything about losing hair on Prozac?

March 11, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by t a (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks, I started to feel a bit better after 10 days or so, then the last couple of days I been feeling very teary and anxious, I was given diazepam at the start to control the anxiety which I only took a couple of, but find I have had to take them the last couple of days, hope this is just part of the tablets settling and will get better.

February 28, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Kruti Patel (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

At first, when I began taking Prozac, I had a lost more "episodes". I just cried in my bedroom for hours; I can't even describe the emotions, if I could even call them that, going through me. It was like a dark part of me took over, and it wanted nothing but an end; I don't even to what. Everything was way worse; multiple suicidal thoughts per a single day were not uncommon. Gradually, I started feeling better; there was no sudden happiness or peace, but I felt normal. Now, I just don't know what's going on with me. Stress and everything is piling up on me, once again. Eating is a chore. I feel like I'm on the brink of falling apart, on the thin line between sanity&insanity. I don't want life or death. I want to not exist. I'm just confused

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by Sad for forty years (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have started taking Lovan. It has changed my life. I cannot believe it. I wish I had gone on this medication years ago. I have had severe impairing depression my whole life from the earliest age. I cannot believe the difference. I am myself but I am positive, I no longer wake up in the night worrying, I don't have that constant sadness that I could never shake. I feel happy. I feel sane. I actually feel energized sometimes to exercise but I had to take it at night not morning or I was too tired in the day. I switched to night and my life has turned around. The first month was hard with side effects but then taking it at night has changed my life. I absolutely love this medicine and I was a natural medicine freak. Why oh why.

February 13, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by vinpb90:

It's always a test of one person. Everyone will have anti-depressants that work best for them. I tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I hated Wellbutrin. Prozac gave me ZERO side effects. No sexual frustration, no irritability, and no insomnia. I'm on my 6th month and just got bumped from 20mg to 40mg because of seasonal depression and feel a HUGE deal better. I've lost 10lbs in 3 weeks because my appetite and drinking are also under control. I've also heard Prozac is associated with weight loss. If something isn't working for you, give it a try.

February 9, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by annie lou one:

I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by nomercy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac saved me.

January 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by misslayla1998:

I have been taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for about a month now. I'm 15 and I am taking it for anxiety disorder and depression. So far it has been working. I have not been at all depressed for a while. It took about a week and a half for it to start making a difference. I noticed that I'm more calm when it comes to stress. I like it. I'm taking 10mg at the moment. The only complaint I have about it, is that I have noticed an increase in appetite, which I hate.

December 28, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more):

It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM

Review by xzombieLaura:

Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by Ket89:

Prozac really worked for me. It kept my depression under control along with my anxiety. Only side affects is you can forget about sex!!! I also experienced short term memory loss.

October 29, 2013 8:38 PM