User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

"Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

"My genius psychiatrist started me on this drug in the fall of 2008. The first few weeks I felt even worse than before I had started taking the fluoxetine. After many months on the drug I was eventually taking 400mg a day, and having manic thoughts & episodes. My psychiatrist decided I was bi-polar and then started me on seroquel (rather than give me a break for my nervous system to re-adjust to it's natural state), which I also ended up taking for about 6 months and at about the same dose. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken either fluoxetine(Prozac) or seroquel(Quetiapine)."

seiji (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2016

"I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

"I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

"About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015

"I have had depression for many years and I always avoided thinking about taking medication but I just started taking Prozac and it's already helping I'm more awake and everything seems brighter it's easier to get rid of negative thoughts and the weight on my chest is gone"

Female 15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

"I noticed a difference in the first week. It was a positive difference. And then about three weeks later i began to feel how i felt again, and I told my parents and i think that i need more than the 20 mg's that i'm on currently. But overall I think this drug works very well and you need to find the correct mg's for your body."

Looney420 November 17, 2015

"I have been on an SSRI journey since I was 21 years old and am now 43. I was abruptly taken off of Paxil which was an absolute nightmare. However, I was consoled by the fact that Prozac was replacing it and have read that Prozac can actually be used to treat Paxil withdrawal. I am about seven weeks in and I feel like this might have been the right drug for me all along. My mood is level (if not maybe too up for brief periods) however my anxiety is way down and I find myself coming to be on a first name basis with all of the retail people I see on a very regular basis! This is huge for me as I have a thirty year history of social and generalized anxiety. That being said, I am working as well with CBT and I think more importantly meditation."

Sully2986 November 17, 2015

"I started off with 10 mg for the first week and noticed that I have FINALLY been able to get some sleep! Before hand, I could never get sleep and never had energy throughout the day. I'm more friendly. I was starting to spend more time with my husband, being more intimate and just feeling good! For the second week, I started to notice my body wants to shut down by 8 pm (which I love). I could wake up 5am for work and have so much energy to get what I need done. I do not really have racing thoughts anymore. Sometimes I catch myself still being sad from time to time, but thats only be because it takes about a month to have the full effect! Fair to say, I did notice POSITIVE improvements. I'm glad that I got help when I did."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"So i have tried prozac for depression to major depression disorder a little bit of obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic disorder.Firstly it made me more anxious and agitated about a month later me and my dr upped the dose to 40mg.Nothing,unfortunately happened,probably wasn't the right drug for me,i have switched to lexapro now and it is too soon to give opinion on it as ive only been for 3 weeks.In conclusion this drug (Prozac) wasn't effective for me.Only about 3/10 i would say."

Nickirkmab (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2015

"I can honestly say that fluoxetine has improved my quality of life to a great extent. I went from feeling extremely depressed on a daily basis, to feeling very happy and content with my life. I am a lot more open and honest with people, I feel like my inhibitions and anxieties (about some things) have been lifted. I am a lot more talkative and chatty, and for some reason enjoy trashy tv more (which I'm not sure is a good thing)! I have had several tattoos since beginning taking this drug (I had none before). I did carefully consider them though. The only negative effects to note were that at the start of the treatment I did have insomnia for a while and very intense nightmares."

Laura_loves_cats_and_pizza (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2015

"I started this in the hospital at 20 after a few days they upped it to 40. I felt weird the first week or so then somewhat normal I didn't have an appetite for the first couple of weeks The major side effect has been insomnia. I woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning. I don't fall alseep because I have to get up at 6 and my spouse will get up at 445 am I've taking my son to school and then coming home and sleeping. I tired tea, melatonin and some liquid sleep aid but morning has worked to help sleep through the night I dont want to take another medication"

bear12 October 13, 2015

"I've been on this for a year at 20mg and am so happy I chose to do so. I was so down; couldn't sleep, not present in the moment, constantly worrying, etc. I was very skeptical of any SSRI and prefer to go "natural" so I resisted. Over a year later I feel like I have a new lif, a better future, am a better employee, spouse, parent, etc. I suggest using an "all the above" approach as part of a strategy to combat depression. Involve a good counselor who has similar values, exercise, eat well, rest, be around supportive people, do something spiritual consistently. I did this and my world changed for the better. I hope it is sustainable."

Me Again!!! October 10, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Horrible experience with Prozac! Started taking it on a Thursday, and by Saturday had a buzzing in my ears, a full feeling in my head, and couldn't sleep. On Sunday, I completely lost my appetite, and became very jittery. I was barely able to work on Monday, and called off Tuesday because of generalized anxiety, not sleeping or eating. I ended up taking three total days off of work due to side effects. I literally had to force myself to eat a single slice of toast for breakfast... and barely got it down! I finally went off of it on Wednesday and went back on paxil. By Friday, I am feeling like my old self again. Plus, I had startling dreams. I won't ever take this drug again!"

Enonymous September 26, 2015

"I started taking 10mg prozac last Tuesday so it's been a week and a half and the first few days I was tired but I seem to be doing things here and there that I'd put off for a while and things I don't normally feel like doing. That is encouraging and makes me think it's working. I've had a lot of losses in my life in the last 10 years and also going through menopause which is adding to my depression and general bad feeling. My husband also gambled away my inheritance from my mom and my kids college money that his dad left for them. I just can't believe he did that and it's something I struggle with every day since we're not super financially stable. I hope this medicine continues to work better every day. I've been told it takes 2-4 weeks"

vegasmom (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2015

"It's great. I get songs in my head or find myself humming, and that hasn't happened for a long time. More random positive thoughts too. And much less of the bad ones. I sometimes feel down, but it's not often and I think unavoidable. The side affect I notice is phases of vivid bad dreams. More nightmares and more stand that are stressful and occupy my mind too much, which makes me feel less rested."

Slice6 September 20, 2015

"I started taking Prozac on Tuesday. I was very hesitant at first. I guess that was based on what I heard about dependency. I was severely depressed after a emotionally abusive relationship ended. I also terminated my pregnancy (my choice) and on top of that I am the single mother of a smart, energtic 7 year old. I guess everything was weighing heavily on me all at once. I had turned to marijuana. I have a stressful job on top of everything else. My issues involved worrying excessively, overthinking every little thing, crying spells, sleeping on my days off. I stopped doing things I used to enjoy. Scary. I never had any suicidal thoughts. I'm a few days in. Felt jittery one day but that's done. Definitely progressing. Miracle!!"

TerriblyReal88 (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

"Only been a week on 10 mg and I already feel 80%. Cannot wait for the future weeks and to be 110%. Thank you God for Prozac."

GoodProgress and more to come September 9, 2015

"If I had known it was possible to feel this way I would have started taking Prozac a long time ago. I fought myself on trying another anti depressant after being off lexapro for about a year. I guess lexapro did not work for me as well as Prozac has because I want to hit myself for starting this earlier. I feel normal, I have energy to get through the day and I can focus. I have lost some weight though as I do not eat constantly like I used too (because that's all I felt like doing)"

alyssa1276 September 7, 2015

"LIVING ALL my life and only knowing highs and lows of depression, I've taken many pills. Sure they worked at first but then the depression came back, prozac is quite a ride from when you first take it, there are so many changes. I'm at 40mg, 6 months later I have diarrhea and have lost a lot of weight. I hope I'm not dying. I was a complete idiot and delusional the last 45 years, this pill made me feel like I'm supposed to feel, it doesn't feel fake. Yes I did experience memeory loss, fatique, have to look a back and live with my mistakes before prozac, prozac made everything all clear, I feel sharper as well, it actually cured my depression. Just made sure to follow instructions as you increase dosage"

SAVED MY LIFE, NEW PERSON (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2015

"I can honestly say that Prozac works for me. This medication takes sometime to kick in to full effect and many people stop taking after they feel nothing the first week or so. That is a big mistake, if you wait the full 6 weeks you will see such a difference that it will amaze you. The way it builds in the system and it's afterlife is why it takes a while to get to optimal serum levels in the blood stream. I have battled severe depression and suicidal ideation for over 25 years now. This medication Prozac 40 mg along with Ablify 10mg have solved most of those issues. I also take Ativan 2mg as needed for severe anxiety. Talk to someone if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or just do not know what the point of life is."

Over 40 and Depressed August 7, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just couldn't shake it off anxiety depression woke up.horrid scared git feeling couldn't cook dread fear worrying constantly about dying doc ha e me propanonal sr went like a zombie 2nd doc listened to me but said I want depressed 3rd time lucky doc gave me fluoxotine it has immediately taken effect been on a bike ride and cooked a meal x"

dee15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015