User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"I have tried everything from tricyclics, serzone lexapro, Welbutrin, celexa, everthing under the sun. I just recently started on prozac about 2 weeks ago (straight from lexapro) and the results have been amazing! I sleep well, my dreams are pleasant now and my brain doesn't over analyze everything. I wake up early feeling good which I haven't in years. I have ambition and energy, get shit done and look for more to do. Finally something that works! I haven't had the opportunity to see if there are any sexual side effects yet but hopefully soon! Lol."

jraid2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"Incredible. To think a simple pill would be so life changing. 21 year old married mother of two , I've been struggling with depression and anxiety, especially social anxiety my entire life. I was at the end of my rope, starting to think depression wasn't even a real thing, it was just normal to feel like shit. Literally the first day I felt okay. A month later here I am exercising everyday in my spotless house and playing with my kids. No more emotional eating I've lost fifteen freaking pounds I have the energy and focus to do EVERYTHING. I only wish I would have tried it sooner. I thought it would make me feel like a numb robot but I still feel like me, just a better me. Really looking forward to my future on Prozac."

assleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

"I have suffered from severe depression/anxiety for 9 years now. I also suffer from PTSD. I have tried almost everything out there, and Prozac is the only antidepressant that I can take and that works for me. I am very sensitive to medication, and I'm glad I have found at least one medication that helps my severe depression. It helps motivate me and keeps me alive. I have been on 10 mg for a long time, and then recently went to 20 mg. I think I need to increase my dosage even more so. But it has been the only reliable medication I have ever taken, and for the longest duration."

etherealmoon April 28, 2015

"I had been taking this for a really long time and it worked....for a while. I take 60 mg and it seems to be doing nothing now. I was just prescribed a booster and I really hope it works. I am miserable I have moderate to severe intrusional thoughts."

1213455624572 April 27, 2015

"Been on this medicine for 2 weeks now and definitely starting to feel less anxious and I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill anymore!! Also not as afraid in social situations and ocd that someone will break in my house and kidnap me and my kids is gone and I can actually sleep at night now. I hope this continues because living in constant fear is no way to live!"

ceebeed79799 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

"It didnt seem to help me"

JuJu23 April 8, 2015

"I'm 22. Had been suffering with depression and a little social anxiety since I was about 12. I finally mustered up the courage to talk to a doctor and he prescribed me Prozac. I have been on it a month now and I'm doing a whole lot better with the depression but not so much my anxiety. The first 2-3 days were the worst I have had in a long time. But after those I started feeling great. It makes me drowsy and I'm able to have sex normally but I can never finish."

FrankTS2G (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

"Let's see. When I first started this Med was for depression and anxiety. Within a month I felt good, after two months great! I stopped taking it thinking I could manage and that made me worse after 3-6 months. I had to get back on it plus klonopin for the anxiety. Well I did it again, i started running out and couldn't afford to go to the doctor so I was talking it every other day.... I think it made it less effective. I've been so depressed, tired, anxious, dizzy etc... I was able to afford to go back the weeks ago and get my refills... So I'm three weeks in... Still feeling down and out. But I know I've got to give it the full 6-8 weeks. Just never get off!! It works well if taken right."

Melanie8890909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

"I have been battling severe depression for most of my life, and at 30 years old I finally decided to seek help. I was prescribed 10 mg at first and it has been gradually increased at different increments over the last year and a half. I am currently taking 60 mg Prozac daily. Taking Prozac has definitely helped my moods, but no pill is a fix-all. I recommend counseling also. I have had some issues with weight gain and loss of libido. I've noticed that once I have been on a stable dosage for a while, the libido does come back."

blue eyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2015

"Most of my life I have struggled with severe panic attacks, general anxiety, PTSD & moderate depression. Been on meds twice before until I felt better & then I would stop taking them. This last time it had been close to a year that I had been suffering again before I decided to reluctantly go back on meds. I tried Celexa again- it worked kinda okay in the past but this time it made no improvement for me. Saw the doc who switched me to Prozac- all I can say is WOW! Best yet- I feel like my old, happy self after only 1 month! 10mg the first week, 15 the second and 20mg the last two. Give it time to work & be patient- it might make you feel a bit off & not better at first, but it is a miracle drug. These bad feelings will pass hang in there!"

DavidKirsch38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"Been on and off Prozac for depression. Very effective for turning negative thoughts into positive ones, increased energy and motivation to get things done and get through the day, less fatigue from stress and worry, better sleep at night, better appetite, able to cope with life's stressors, feel like spending more time with friends and family and doing activities when not depressed, more social/talkative when not depressed, increased confidence when not feeling anxious or depressed. In better health, feel more in control of my life, more optimistic and positive."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

"I suffered extreme depression very much when my mum passed over and the doctor put me on these. They helped me think straight and think about all the bad things I'm still on them but only take one or two a week that keeps me happy and normal."

tomo15 February 22, 2015

"It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach."

Happy Seahorse January 27, 2015

"I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time."

lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2015

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did."

Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used to have horrible nightmares, couldn't sleep sometimes because of visions in the dark, occasional sudden bouts of intense unjustified anger, etc. I've been on Prozac more or less (I'm not great about taking the pills) for 10 years now. I probably average 20 mg/day over time. If I stop taking it for several weeks, I will notice the angry spells starting to come back, etc, and that's my cue that I need to start taking it again. It has been very helpful for me. It's not a cure all, and maybe the highs of life are not as frequent, but they still come. And I'd rather have that and contentment than the awful lows. No free rides, but I enjoy my friends, exercise, family, and relationships. Overall, a Godsend for me."

CaliforniaGuy77 December 22, 2014

"On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary."

eh11111 December 20, 2014

"I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago."

Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite."

rach-mae November 18, 2014

"I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well."

AuntiePoomPoom777 November 18, 2014

"In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again."

Lorenzo P November 14, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before."

Male 47 November 9, 2014

"I've been taking fluoxetine for 6 months now. I started taking at night after my first day due to drowsiness. I wake up periodically through out the night. My dr says it's not the medicine. But it has to be. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months! & I've always loved to sleep. The medicine works awesome though"

CamiK November 1, 2014

"I suffered horribly with post partum depression and severe anxiety for 2 years after the birth. Felt so terrible. All the time, felt like I couldn't do anything. Everything overwhelmed me. Tried Prozac and didn't notice a difference for 2 weeks, then slowly started feeling calmer and could somewhat focus on tasks and errands. I started supplements, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Felt more relief with this combination of Prozac and supplements. Noticed a lift of mood and sleep was once again welcomed instead of torture. I had severe insomnia during my Depression. All I can say is I've been on this combination for 5 almost 6 years and felt much better. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this illness."

luv1977 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm on week one and I feel a difference already. Been depressed for years on and off. Finally felt strong enough to share my story with someone and was diagnosed severe depression. I always thought the way out of depression is to fix was is bothering you and everything will be fine. 6 Years later, I missed out on fun, laughter and family. Won't let time fly by anymore. I hope I continue to want to go outside, meet people and lose weight. I will keep you posted."

LoveMiami October 20, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next