User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Depression

"About 3-4 months of using this medicine I started to notice the way it effected my thinking. Things would come up in my life that would've normally triggered my depression. However when these things happened, I felt a fake sense of relief. I felt like I wanted to be upset about these things that were happening, but my brain wouldn't let me. It felt unfamiliar and unlike myself. It was as though I could feel a whole layer of feelings that I was unable to express. My doctor switched me over to Zoloft and I'm noticing better results."

Iamprozacnation May 18, 2016

"life saver at first made me feel tired but now i have energy and more out going"

kingac May 18, 2016

"I've been on 10mg fluoxetine for just over one week - I did take it for a few days a little while ago, it made my IBS worse, so I stopped. My doctor persuaded me to give it another go. I know it's early days, but so far it's all bad! Before I was tired, unmotivated, no concentration, barely able to wash or do the simplest things. Now - I'm like the walking dead! Even more tired, even less motivation, brain fog - you name it. And possibly more depressed! I also had terrible joint pains - I have arthritis anyway! The joint pains seem to be lessening, the others aren't- so far! I just hope it's a case of getting worse before it gets better, cos atm it's almost unbearable!"

OldCrone (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"I was depressed since I could remember, always low energy and just wanting something to kill me didn't matter, but Prozac helps me a lot. I still have my bad days but they aren't as severe of frequent. Thanks Prozac!"

DragonsSong (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

"Given my experience on this medication, I should probably give it a "1", but I'm going to give it a 4 because of my initial response to it. I've had depression for 20 years, and the symptoms have never remitted, which eventually lead to my choice to seek hospitalization last year. However, a week after I went on this medication, my symptoms were completely gone. All of the cognitive, impulse control and executive functioning deficits related to my partially remitted depression disappeared. HOWEVER....the medication made me manic in about a month. I started experiencing paranoid delusions and had to admit myself to the hospital again. I'm heartbroken that it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others."

Lucy33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"I started taking Prozac since I began my hospitalization at a mental facility in March. I am on Prozac for approximately 1 month now. The first week was still awful for me, but Prozac did make me feel better. The following two weeks I began to feel progressively "happier", and I started participating in activities more. Lots of people commented on how I became more bubbly after my hospitalization. However, I am beginning to feel down again recently. Hopefully my psychiatrist can figure something out."

Lolip585 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

"I have had depression and anxiety for several years, and have been on many anti-depressants and none have been as effective as Prozac has been for me. I was previously on Celexa and although it did help my depression it also made me gain a lot of weight. Since being ok Prozac though my appetite has went down tremendously and I feel amazing. I have never been this happy even before depression hit me."

Emmetilee May 1, 2016

"This medication has literally saved my life!! I was severely depressed and had horrible anxiety and almost committed suicide. The first week on this drug was awful and I was very sick....then a miracle happened. After only a couple of weeks I suddenly realised that I felt 'normal', my thoughts were clear and organised, I was able to laugh, focus, I didn't feel like crying anymore, my fun-loving personality was shining through once more and I became a better version of me. Everyone has noticed and commented, I am now a great person to be around. I am able to work and eat and sleep and function like a normal young woman and it's all thanks to this amazing drug. It really has given me my life back."

Leesa87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

"I've been on Prozac 20mg for two and a half weeks. I'm still hiding under the duvet. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety. Can anyone tell me how much longer I've got to wait to feel well again."

bedridden (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I have been on fluoxetine for less than a month and it's going ok. During the first 2 weeks, I felt surprising amazing. I had a new love of life. The week after, I felt suicidal, I felt worse and I just wanted to stay in bed and never leave. I feel constantly nauseous which isn't good. This week, I have felt a little calmer. I feel 'normal'. I hope I stay like this and just level out..."

SamSx April 16, 2016

"I started this medication because I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I have been put on random depression meds since I was 14 years old and am now 24. I've tried lexapro, welbutrin, and a bunch of other stuff. I never really saw improvement as a teenager on these drugs, but it could have been my hormones at the time. I tried prosac at 23 years old and it seemed to make a real difference for me. I think I started to feel the difference within the first week, but that might have been a placebo affect. After at least 2-3 weeks is when I think it really started to work and I could feel a difference. My anxiety levels started to drop pretty drastically and I was no longer afraid of things like the dark."

tbud March 16, 2016

"Im pretty outgoing in nature...but id get depressed n aggressive from time to time. Anyway so the first 5 weeks on this med was very up and down... I slept but woke up feeling tired.. I was drowzy during the day...id feel good some days n worse on others. I was going to quit on my 6th week..I woke up n said 'I cant take this anymore' but my mom convinced me to keep taking it. It was like a miracle. .I just woke up in the morning..6th week in n felt ok one morning... energetic... happy... motivated... could phone up anyone n talk wthout feeling like it was torture.... so give it atleast 6 weeks... it should get even better than how im feeling now... tht would be amazing!"

desertflower1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"I just started Prozac again after being off it for several years. After going off Prozac the first time, I tried battling depression with alternative methods, including yoga, exercise and CBT. Recently I decided I was losing the battle using these methods alone and went back to Prozac. My experience so far is that the medication is working. I have so far not been experiencing the really deep lows while on this medication. I do feel a bit drowsier that usual, although this is not entirely unwelcome as I was having trouble sleeping before and now I find I am able to sleep and nap more easily. Exercise and avoiding alcohol dramatically helps with the drowsiness issue and also helps improve mood further in combination with the Prozac."

AdamQ February 6, 2016

"Prozac was the first antidepressant I was ever put on and it never really helped me. I couldn't eat normally for several weeks, kept throwing up and while waiting for the side effects to go away my doctor gave me a higher dose and my anxiety seemed to get even worse. About a month in, my suicidal thoughts got worse and I just got reckless with my life because I felt like nothing mattered. After an intervention with my friends I decided to just stop taking it cold turkey, and I really didn't experience that bad of withdrawal effects, I was just glad I wasn't taking it anymore. I would say it made me the most suicidal I'd been in a long time and while it may work wonders for some people it just did not work with me."

rileylane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

"I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

"My genius psychiatrist started me on this drug in the fall of 2008. The first few weeks I felt even worse than before I had started taking the fluoxetine. After many months on the drug I was eventually taking 400mg a day, and having manic thoughts & episodes. My psychiatrist decided I was bi-polar and then started me on seroquel (rather than give me a break for my nervous system to re-adjust to it's natural state), which I also ended up taking for about 6 months and at about the same dose. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken either fluoxetine(Prozac) or seroquel(Quetiapine)."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2016

"I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

"I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

"About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015

"I have had depression for many years and I always avoided thinking about taking medication but I just started taking Prozac and it's already helping I'm more awake and everything seems brighter it's easier to get rid of negative thoughts and the weight on my chest is gone"

Female 15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

"I noticed a difference in the first week. It was a positive difference. And then about three weeks later i began to feel how i felt again, and I told my parents and i think that i need more than the 20 mg's that i'm on currently. But overall I think this drug works very well and you need to find the correct mg's for your body."

Looney420 November 17, 2015

"I have been on an SSRI journey since I was 21 years old and am now 43. I was abruptly taken off of Paxil which was an absolute nightmare. However, I was consoled by the fact that Prozac was replacing it and have read that Prozac can actually be used to treat Paxil withdrawal. I am about seven weeks in and I feel like this might have been the right drug for me all along. My mood is level (if not maybe too up for brief periods) however my anxiety is way down and I find myself coming to be on a first name basis with all of the retail people I see on a very regular basis! This is huge for me as I have a thirty year history of social and generalized anxiety. That being said, I am working as well with CBT and I think more importantly meditation."

Sully2986 November 17, 2015

"I started off with 10 mg for the first week and noticed that I have FINALLY been able to get some sleep! Before hand, I could never get sleep and never had energy throughout the day. I'm more friendly. I was starting to spend more time with my husband, being more intimate and just feeling good! For the second week, I started to notice my body wants to shut down by 8 pm (which I love). I could wake up 5am for work and have so much energy to get what I need done. I do not really have racing thoughts anymore. Sometimes I catch myself still being sad from time to time, but thats only be because it takes about a month to have the full effect! Fair to say, I did notice POSITIVE improvements. I'm glad that I got help when I did."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"So i have tried prozac for depression to major depression disorder a little bit of obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic disorder.Firstly it made me more anxious and agitated about a month later me and my dr upped the dose to 40mg.Nothing,unfortunately happened,probably wasn't the right drug for me,i have switched to lexapro now and it is too soon to give opinion on it as ive only been for 3 weeks.In conclusion this drug (Prozac) wasn't effective for me.Only about 3/10 i would say."

Nickirkmab (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2015