User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by delarla123:

I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by prozac patty:

Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?

August 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Cateliza:

Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took prozac several years ago, and it worked a little bit for a while. Often, though, it made me feel really lethargic, sleepy, and extremely apathetic to most things. It sort of did it's job, but not well enough, as I have now switched to something that works better.

July 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by yournickname (taken for less than 1 month):

Not happy, not sad, just there. Actually not even there... Everything is kind of like a daze. But it feels alot better then being crazy stressed out all the time and freaking out over trivial things, just I don't feel like myself. But the good thing is I'm living in the moment instead of the past or worrying about the future.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by amandamariee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Prozac for a little over a year for depression and anxiety. I'm on 20mg since I was 14. Personally I think it was too much for my system when I first started taking it. I was like an ADHD child. Couldn't calm down. Jumping around everywhere and could barely sleep at night. And with me being a 100lb 14 year old; my mother thought so too. Now that I'm 16, I think this medication isn't working for me anymore. I'm becoming more and more depressed and my anxiety level is at its highest. I keep having panic attacks also. Prozac was amazing for me up til now. But I do believe that my body has gotten used to this medication. I'm talking to my doctor soon as possible to maybe raise my dosage.

May 27, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Gc2466:

Did not have the best experience with this medication, but antidepressants and anxiety medications react differently for each person. For the 5 months that I was on Prozac, it improved my anxiety, but every time my dosage was changed, my depression got much worse and fluctuated greatly. It got so bad that I had to switch medications. Again, every medication reacts differently for everyone.

May 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by Cyrnix (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Marvellous, restored my dignity, anxiety management and sleep.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 1:50 PM

Review by wickedsmile:

Ok this is my third review in just less than a year. Here are the pros: weight loss (16 pounds lost), eliminated my anxiety issues, no more Klonopin, very calm, cool and collected attitude, improved vision and I feel great! I can give presentations in front of many people without hesitation or anxiety buildup. Now for the cons: Be careful drinking alcohol after taking your daily dose. I have experienced severe impairment after just a few drinks that I normally handle with ease. Usually it happens if I forget to take my dose in the morning and take it after work instead. If I don't give it time to metabolize in my system and drink on it, 2 beers can feel like 6. Be mindful of that and do not operate machinery/cars.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Vectron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Hi been on Prozac after 5 years on Cipralex, feel better than ever and my weight has started to come down!

May 13, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Crayonsnglu (taken for less than 1 month):

I was told that anti-anxiety meds take a while to kick in but I feel like this one has kicked in sooner than I thought it would. I only take 20mg for anxiety and overall I have started to feel a lot more positive and less stressed out about things I usually stress out about. I haven't noticed any side effects besides my stomach feeling a little off the first week and lately I have not been as hungry as I usually am and get full alot faster....but I wake up in the morning starving. Weird but no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything! I hope I can continue to take this medicine because it does seem to keep me "level" with my emotions.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

April 16, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by awall83:

I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by EricaLikesCalculus:

I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

April 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM

Review by 30 years depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

You have to give this medicine time to work. At first it made me very anxious and nauseated. Started with 20 mg. after a month the anxiety came back so my doctor upped it to 40 mg.. More nausea and anxiety (Xanax helped this transition), but now, after about 13 weeks, I feel great. I just had a very challenging 10 hours at work and feel like a million bucks. It helped me get my gratitude back. No longer grumpy and ill willed. It made me realize how deep my depression was and how long it had been since I'd been normal-feeling: 30 years. Sleep and exercise are key. If you think you have sleep apnea, get a doctors diagnosis. If you don't exercise, get walking. These are key things that make antidepressants more effective.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 8:49 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by lirpa13:

I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM