User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Crayonsnglu (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was told that anti-anxiety meds take a while to kick in but I feel like this one has kicked in sooner than I thought it would. I only take 20mg for anxiety and overall I have started to feel a lot more positive and less stressed out about things I usually stress out about. I haven't noticed any side effects besides my stomach feeling a little off the first week and lately I have not been as hungry as I usually am and get full alot faster....but I wake up in the morning starving. Weird but no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything! I hope I can continue to take this medicine because it does seem to keep me "level" with my emotions.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 3:16 PM
Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by awall83: User Rating:

I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 9:37 AM
Review by EricaLikesCalculus: User Rating:

I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 6:19 PM
Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 2:06 PM
Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM
Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM
Review by 30 years depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

You have to give this medicine time to work. At first it made me very anxious and nauseated. Started with 20 mg. after a month the anxiety came back so my doctor upped it to 40 mg.. More nausea and anxiety (Xanax helped this transition), but now, after about 13 weeks, I feel great. I just had a very challenging 10 hours at work and feel like a million bucks. It helped me get my gratitude back. No longer grumpy and ill willed. It made me realize how deep my depression was and how long it had been since I'd been normal-feeling: 30 years. Sleep and exercise are key. If you think you have sleep apnea, get a doctors diagnosis. If you don't exercise, get walking. These are key things that make antidepressants more effective.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2014 8:49 PM
Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 11, 2014 8:25 PM
Review by lirpa13: User Rating:

I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM
Review by bradstreetbassler: User Rating:

This medication saved my life!

December 7, 2013 2:05 PM
Review by dannyboy35 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been depressed, with high levels of anxiety for ten years. I tried several different medications and I finally settled with an anti-depressant to help with sleep, and also was taking 3 Klonopin a day as well as trazodone at night for sleep for seven years. So I'm really thinking I may be on all these medicines for life and maybe be put on disability. So the doc finally put me on Prozac. It's been 2 months now and my anxiety has gone way down, I am less depressed, I no longer worry about things and am off trazodone and don't take Klonopin anymore. I have great dreams and wake up every morning with happy songs in my head, and I'm much more social. Prozac has just been a blessing, probably saved my life as I had lost all hope.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2013 9:44 AM
Review by Daniellebb (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Worked for about a month then I started sleeping 13-15 hours a night and lost all motivation.

November 14, 2013 8:16 AM
Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 8, 2013 12:17 PM
Review by Slippers and pjs: User Rating:

I'm a teenager and I have had pretty severe anxiety for about 3 to 4 years. It stopped me from doing normal high school things, like going to dances, making friends, and going to parties because those kinds things terrifies me. I went to a psychiatrist and since my anxiety has been negatively effecting my life she prescribed me 20 ml of prozac once a day. This has seriously changed my life. I've tried all the natural medications and techniques that claim to work but nothing had worked for me. It took a while to kick in but once it did I became a whole new person. I've been so happy and can do things without worrying!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 6, 2013 9:57 PM
Review by Wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just switched to Prozac and it is a life changer! I am no longer tired and my anxiety is controlled. Day 4 for now, and I feel 100% better than a month ago....

November 4, 2013 10:07 PM
Review by uhhhmmmm: User Rating:

I started taking 10mg prozac for 2 days. On the 2nd day my whole body ached like the flu and my throat is sore. I took Tylenol for the body aches and pretty much slept the whole day. Around 2am I started vomitting up bile until 5 am. Cold sweats, clammy and shaking. My dr. told me to stop taking the prozac but my body still aches so bad.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 25, 2013 6:26 PM
Review by Crash and Burn: User Rating:

Anger management issues and depression had plagued me my whole life. I have been fired from many a job for the problems I would bring upon myself. I've been on Prozac 20mg for 10 years and it has changed my life. I was able to perform with minimal issues and my wife didn't divorce me even though she had grounds to so. WARNING! I couldn't get a renewal from my doctor because he stopped taking my insurance. So I tried to get another doctor but appointments were months away and went off my meds cold turkey. 6 weeks into the withdrawal I was fired from my job, of which I loved, because I had a meltdown. I was yelled at by another employee and I started to loose control. The bottom line was they escorted me out of the building.

October 24, 2013 6:17 AM
Review by Living better (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I suffer from chronic anxiety with periodic bouts of mild depression for 20 years. I tried everything...acupuncture, diet, exercise, and 5-htp. Had a horrible experience with Zoloft and Paxil when I developed depression in college. I tried antidepressants for 2 months but with horrible side effects. As a result, I avoided medications to address my anxiety and/ or mild depression through the years. Unfortunately, my anxiety level became unbearable this past year. I tried the following: lexapro...5-10 mg absolutely horrible. Made me extremely tired, depressed and never reduced my anxiety level. Xanax: extremely helpful but still experienced agitation, stress, irritability, and anxiousness. Prozac: 10-20 mg. a life changer. I feel relaxed.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2013 1:52 PM
Review by Eunice Aboites: User Rating:

I have been on Prozac 40 mg for 10 weeks now, I feel super great. I was taking Xanax too but I feel I don't need to take my Xanax any more. Prozac has been working for me just great! The first week I was feeling terrible anxiety, numbness in my face, dry mouth, fears. It was crazy but at day 9th I started to feel more focused, so now it's been 10 weeks and I feel how I used to feel before, just great. So please just hang in there, give Prozac at least 2 weeks to kick in.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2013 4:32 PM
Review by Movie Lvr (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pros: Great at controlling depression, anxiety, and stress. Cons: Feel agitated, hyper, and impulsive on it; some daytime fatigue; longer to orgasm and decreased sex drive (sexual dysfunction makes me feel less attractive and confident around my man); vivid dreams at night; numbed emotions; must have patience when getting off to avoid withdrawal symptoms (my taper was two months long!). Note: I would rather have a lowered sex drive than anxiety, stress, or depression though.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 17, 2013 8:49 PM
Review by anon1981: User Rating:

Changed my life!

September 1, 2013 2:42 PM
Review by MovieLvr (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I also tried 5 to 10mg Prozac. This dose is much less stimulating, doesn't numb up your emotions as much, and can orgasm more easily than 20mg. Orgasming and feeling my emotions are too important to me to go higher than this dose. This lower dose is just as effective for my anxiety, stress, and depression as the 20mg was. This dose also helps with headache prevention, IBS, PMS, SAD, CFS, poor immune function, and body aches caused by chronic infections such as Epstein Barr.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2013 5:55 PM
Review by MovieLvr (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I took 20mg Prozac from age 16 to 27 to make sure my anxiety and depression didn't interfere with being successful in high school and college. The 20mg completely got rid of my anxiety and depression. This dose, however, was too stimulating causing loopiness, decreased concentration in conversations, hyperactivity, and extended laughing spells over silly things. This dose also made it very difficult to orgasm and numbed up my emotions where it was difficult to feel whether I was in love with someone or not when dating. I did not realize these side effects until I finally got off Prozac at age 27, could feel my emotions, and discover my true personality off meds. Orgasms great now.

August 28, 2013 5:40 PM