User Reviews for Prozac

Learn more about Prozac.

Prozac Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prozac to treat Anxiety and Stress

"In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

"I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

"I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

"I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

"I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

"I have taken prozac for one year and three months. It has helped me a lot. Right now I am weaning myself off of this drug slowly, but lately I have felt mild anxiety due to no sleeping. And also mild stomach problems. I'm not sure if its part of the withdrawal process."

chela31 December 12, 2015

"I started on 20 mg and increased to 40 mg for anxiety and depression. I cannot praise this drug enough for how calm it makes me feel. I feel like I can handle any problem, big or small with a clear head. Thank you Prozac for giving my life back to me."

TracyinOhio December 8, 2015

"I've been on and off Prozac for the last few years. I didn't think it was working, but after I started taking mental notes, I realized that I was doing much better on it. I have been dealing with chronic anxiety and PTSD which has, in turn, led me into depression. Based on my experience, I think it's important to note that depression lifting is not like flipping a switch. It takes time for the medicine to work. Now that I've been taking it routinely and not missing a dose, I've noticed that my "baseline" mood is MUCH better. It happens subtly like a thick fog slowly lifting. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but if you're not having side effects and you've only been on it for a short time, be patient and give it a chance."

CBEARS December 2, 2015

"hi everyone, I went on Prozac about a year ago after I saw how well it helped my boyfriend. We met two years ago and I knew he was suffering but didn't know from what. He and I were soon diagnosed with OCD. I was so weary of taking any meds and especially any that said "weight gain as a side effect" because of my obsessive compulsive behavior with my appearance. one day my bf said its okay if you gain a couple if anything you need too said in the nicest way. So I finally gave in and started at 10 mg I later went up to 20 mg and I noticed I didn't seem to be beating myself up everyday maybe only every few days. I didn't gain any weight and it even helped with my binge eating disorder. it also helped my more "intense" feelings to "normal"."

berfella (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015

"I've been taking this for almost 2 years now and I'd say it has helped me tremendously. I was on a few others before this and it just didn't work out."

Geekdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2015

"I was on Prozac for one month...I even considered suicide. I was going crazy..terrible feelings....never again..I'm on Celexa now and it's helping a lot."

Intellbrat (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

"I just started taking prozac, and I have had this terrible migraine. Its worse than any migraine I have ever had. I've been throwing up and sleeping throughout the day. I don't feel myself at all."

Sammi1996 October 28, 2015

"20mg a day changed my life. Head pain due to stress and anxiety is gone when taking this tablet and also OCD in the form of dermatillomania (finger) completely better. I had this for about 3 years and decided to stop, the weening off was very tough, I had a good month or two of hit sweats/shakiness and agitation. However I went completely back to normal for over 2 years after that. I have now restarted Fluoxetine/prozac due to having a very stressful year and struggling to get by day to day. 1st pill and I am mellow as a mellow thing once again, goodbye stresses!"

Chlobo1991UK October 20, 2015

"I was only on this medicine for one month. It was too strong for me. My anxiety and depression went away completely, but I also didn't care about anything. I completely lacked motivation and would sometimes just lay around doing absolutely nothing. I didn't even have much interest in eating. I also became antisocial and didn't want to leave the house, even to walk the dog, because I didn't want my neighbors to see me or talk to me. It was the weirdest experience. It's like I barely existed that whole month."

Rmuffin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

"The drug works very good for depression and anxiety. It also completely eliminates my headaches. I was a chronic headache sufferer for years and ever since I started taking Prozac I almost never have a headache. I think this drug should be studied more as a medication to treat chronic headaches as it increases Serotonin in the brain and Serotonin is a major factor in headache issues."

Bill Silvers October 8, 2015

"I had been on Prozac for three years and gone through a lot of hard times. It helped when I was splitting from my ex, Lost a job, got into some legal trouble, lost my license, and had to move back home. After getting back on my feet again and getting my license and a job I decided to ween off of it...bad idea..I became more and more stressed out and had very bad stomach issues that I never had before. After about three months off 40mg a day I had a huge panic attack and days of not eating or sleeping. I have since gone back on 20 mg and hope it starts to work soon. I should have never gone off this medication it saved my life once and I hope to have the same results again. I was happy, able to take things much better and be myself."

hopefully soon (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

"Third week on prozac and I feel great. My mind is clear, I am able to focus on today and not obsess over the future, it's amazing. The first week I started on 10mg then the second at 20mg. Only side effects I had were insomnia and nausea for the first week. Still, definitely worth it for me :) I am finally present and not stuck in my mind."

Lola19 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I wouldn't give Prozac anything greater than a 1. Mainly for the fact that I have been on this now for 1 month 20 mg daily; Increased my terrible moods followed by anxiety attacks, I have become an insomniac, my pulse has increased terribly, and my appetite is zero. Without the back up "Xanax" I would still be at square 1. I occasionally drink to get drunk, but have been recently informed that this drug mixed with alcohol has a severe risk of suicide. I was not depressed before I was referred to this medicine, but now I feel that it is becoming worse. Am I miss diagnosed?"

a pill 4 this & a pill 4 that (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

"Life changer. I am so grateful I finally broke down and decided to get help with my anxiety. after all it was so bad I was having panic attacks everyday. I wasn't myself anymore and constantly was worried and sensitive to everything. I was annoying myself and I'm sure annoying other people. I was starting to recluse myself. I had horrible chest pains and was so worried I would have a heart attack. Now after 2 weeks I feel amazing, back to my old self again. No panic attacks and have finally reclaimed my life back. I'm happy bc I am able to go to the store now and not be anxious. It's so wonderful. No side effects and I am very clear headed now as well - no brain fog!!"

Katie Katie Katie September 22, 2015

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Soooo...what a ride. Started on 10 mgs and felt ok. I was getting a stiff neck at times and my back would hurt a bit. But I kept on. Now I'm on 20 mgs probably for around 3 weeks and this third week on 20mgs has been rough. It's like I sleep, but I don't feel rested. It's weird. I'm hoping it goes away because I don't want to start all over again with a new drug. I'll probably stay on for a week and write down how I feel, but if that "side effect" doesn't go away I'm done. Its helping the racing thoughts, but I can't feel tired all the time."

Ocdproblems (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2015

"This medication has turned my life completely around in about a months time. First week just felt weird and confused. Had bad diarrhea... Week two confused and not sure if I wanted to keep taking in. By week three something started to really change. Had side effects still but they were decreasing. Started feeling WAY calmer and rational, my children spend more time around me instead of hiding from me and I am cleaning and organizing things around my home that have been sitting around for six months or more. I am becoming a functional person again now for the first time in a REALLY long time. My advice, please stick with it if you can for a minimum of four to six weeks. It might just turn out to be the best thing you ever did."

Anonymous August 20, 2015

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started of on 10 mg for anxiety and depression, didn't feel any different but felt irritated and snappy at everyone. Nurse practitioner just bumped me up to 20 mg and I feel better and it's only been week! Hopefully this will take the edge off so I can more enjoyable to be around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

"I took this medicine for 7 days lost my appetite the 3rd day, worsen my insomnia, it did not help with anxiety. By the 7th day I felt even worst finally decide to come off it. This is my second day off Prozac and I still cannot eat, sleep still have bad anxiety and feeling sick to my stomach and cannot eat anything, I'm extremely nauseated, haven't ate much in 4-5 days. I hope my appetite comes back soon! This med did not work for me it made me feel horrible."

Summerly August 2, 2015

"Started with 20mg then after around 45 days increased to 40. Dry mouth, fatigue, lightheadeness, increased anxiety, headaches, were common at first, however in time slowly decreased. I now have good day time energy, I'm sleeping well at night. Confidence level is becoming stronger. I pray the next few weeks at 40 mg takes me to were I want to be. So far, so good!"

Hard Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Lexapro for a little over a year and it worked beautifully. The only reason I weaned off was because of weight gain. My Doctor prescribed 10mg of Prozac and said it should not cause any weight gain. I am on it 17 days now and my only side effect is slight anxiety and a few panic attacks. I had none of this on Lexapro. My question is, should I hand in there and when will I feel good?"

Soozieque July 13, 2015