User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been having anxiety and other symptoms such as weight loss. I was diagnosed with OCD and started on 10mg prozac. I battled with side effects for the first month of increased anxiety, nauseousness and sleeping problems. At about the 5 week mark the negative side effects went away and I started to feel some relief from the anxiety caused by the OCD. I was increased to 20mg which seems to be enough for me. I have now been on it for over a year. I feel so much better. Like a weight is lifted off of my shoulders and I no longer worry and obsess. I have gained some weight but the anxiety had made me lose weight so I think I am able to eat now because I feel better. I don't sweat the small stuff in life anymore!!"

OCDin PA (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

"I started taking Prozac in 1993. I actually was suicidal and depressed in 1972, but the kind of treatment prescribed was to see a shrink, which I didn't talk to. I tried to kill myself (unsuccessfully) many times. I just didn't want to live anymore, a very terribly sad feeling of not belonging, even in family gatherings. In 1993 I started 20 mg of Prozac, first week was great...I was very energetic and I didn't feel like eating, but after that it evened out and I felt better. I then went up to 40 mg. Two years ago I started pulling my hair out. Went up to 80 mg, but was too much and my doc kept me on 60 mg. I still can't stop pulling my hair out. Does Prozac cause this OCD? I thought it was supposed to help it."

Suicidal In High School February 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had to switch to this after sertraline didn't work when I tried to go back on it. OCD blew up as soon as I stopped my previous SSRI and I ended up sick. Always consult your doctor and if you have severe OCD, it's an SSRI for life... Fluoxetine had the usual side effects: suicidal, anxious, worsening of depression and tiredness. Unfortunately you just have to work through this with these meds. After a few weeks I started to see some slow progress and my obsessions decreased. I was still severely depressed and I augmented this with risperidone. That too made me a bit crazy for a few days but after a couple of weeks I was able to return to work after 3 months off. These meds take time. 18 months on I'm just on fluoxetine 60mg and feel great!"

Gregocd February 15, 2016

"I was on Fluvoxemine (Luvox) starting at age 7, took it for 3 years. I am not 24 and I have been on fluoxetine for almost 7 months,and just recently got bumped up to 40mg ( 2 weeks ago). I have such bad depression and anxiety that it barely makes a dent, but it does help with my intrusive thoughts a lot. I notice as far as side effects, all of the initial ones have gone away by about month 3. All I have left is very minor short-term memory loss, and talking in my sleep. I'm not as sleepy as I used to be either. I would recommend staying away from caffeine altogether while on fluoxetine. I wish there was another way. I spent 14 years dealing with my severe Pure-Obsessional OCD without treatment. Some of us need this medicine."

Chris DiPaolo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "First week was hell, more anxiety and panic attacks. Had to leave work early one day for the anxiety, also left a family event early. But now... Starting second week and starting to feel like myself again! As long as things continue this way will be happy on this drug! Without the first weeks' side effects would give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had all of these horrible thoughts racing through my mind for 5 weeks before I started Prozac. I kept thinking about dying, my family dying. I feared time and death and could not stop the racing thoughts no matter what. I thought I would never get better, but then a week after starting Prozac, I no longer had any racing thoughts! It has brought me back into the moment. No more intrusive thoughts :)"

Julian1227 November 5, 2015

"Glad I stuck it out, My prozac started working really good in the 7th week..Before that, confusion{ do I spell my daughters name with a y or t, etc}}short term memory loss, severe anxiety, I was walking the park 5 hrs a day trying to get balance...wanted to quit prozac, but I knew prozac magnified all these problems"

tall tree (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

"I've taken a lot of different medications over the years which never really made me feel much better. I've been taking fluoxetine 60 mg for 2 months now and have noticed a big change for the better!! I am so much more relaxed and less stressed at work. "

Anonymous October 3, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on prozac now for a while as I suffer from ocd and ptsd also. I feel as if it has made me crazier, if thats possible. Some days I can't stop twitching, feel full of energy and experience nausea. Other days my bones hurt, I feel not fully awake and just odd. Keeping in mind that daily, I have a high levels of caffeine and smoke marijuana. and not daily, but weekly I drink quite a bit of alcohol. I have noticed alcohol and prozac really don't mix. but nevertheless, I am still taking 20mg daily (which i do not think is enough) but then some days I want to stop taking it altogether? I do not although prozac doses shouldn't be skipped but evidently the only words I can use to describe this drug is odd and weird and idk???! uuGh"

buffalo soldier October 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I wasn't sure if this drug was helping with OCD. When asked I would reply, "it seems to make it easier to deal with it". Then my Doc decided to lower my dose in order to take me off it. When I got to 60mg I lost it. The obsessive thoughts were out of control. Compulsions increased as well. I am back on 100mg and feeling and thinking much better. The med helps a lot, but doesn't fix me completely. I challenge my compulsions every day so I can reinforce that I do not need them."

dariley38 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Hi ive been on prozac 60mg for 10years the drug is miraculous it got me out of a hole, but as i suffer from ocd i decided to self medicate with drink and drugs also that led me me to a 12 step fellowship! Now 7half years without a drink or drug im self medicating on prozac which is not v good! It got to last friday i had taken probly 4 tablets in 2 weeks and just crashed! Im now back on 60mg a day but having bouts of anxiety again and thinking its not real, im hoping this is just the side affects of the prozac again getting in system, im tired headache and anxiety thinking"

Taximan42 August 23, 2015

"Took Prozac for many years, by right supposed to treat depression. Before taking the medication, I didn't have any Depression, but it only started years after taking it. Libido has gone. And than had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder getting worse. High irritability, and gets angry with people almost always. "

Milote July 3, 2015

"I have just started to use Fluoxetine. I was rather apprehensive at first but I am pleased I have taken this first step as my OCD was affecting my life as a whole. I will share any feedback as to how the drug is have an effect in the near future."

Cliveyboy (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2015

"I have OCD and I've been on Prozac for a short time, but it is so, so helpful. It's stemmed my obsessions a lot, to the point where I can actually focus in class and get my schoolwork done. I've had a few side effects such as weight gain, irregular appetite, and some weird moods, but it's all worth it."

Nimm (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): " Recommend using Lovan 20mg the generic brand of Prozac. Break in half to start at 10mg a day. Your looking for small signs of success. Keep a daily journal of your time taking it so you can look back TRUST ME this helps when spotting reaction patterns and finding right exact dosage amount. For some LESS Prozac is more benefit. Mania / sweating / twitching muscles was part of my first 2 months but settled down. Alcohol leaves toxins in your blood for 2 days that stop the medication working fully. Sex drive gone by 80%.** I have still had to apply daily mental awareness techniques and being aware of my thoughts to get great results. Not been a cure all but is brilliant"

Hugo. Depressive episodes. Ocd. Tourettes. Anxiety April 25, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac really saved my life 6 years ago when I was suffering from major Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Insomnia related to it. Tried to stop it few times but always had to come back. No sexual side effects even at 40mg/day. Unofortunately it seemed that the medicine had pooped-out on me after 5 years and I currently started taking Paxil."

Jeff235235 March 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!"

piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD."

Nord January 21, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Saved my life."

Raya1128 October 22, 2014

"I went from 20mg to 60mg and felt tip top. It curbed my obsessive compulsive disorder and it no longer ruled my life completely. Unfortunately I was feeling that good I started drinking, TO OFTEN, which stopped the medication working. I then convinced myself it would no longer work even though I stopped drinking. I then went onto citalopram, which did nothing for me at all. I then missed a docs appointment and then decided I would get through it all without tablets. I was ok for a while until the anxiety, OCD started to bully me again, I was a nightmare to live with, countless arguments with my missus, I couldn't handle anything shouting, screaming at my children. I'm back on fluoxedtine now, and really regret coming off it like I did."

Dr jeckle (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal."

Southern Summer September 15, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have Obessive compulsive disorder which causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Prozac has improved my quality of life I'm now a calm happy person with a great family of my own after being on Prozac a year. It really helps me focus on the real problems in my life and reaching a resolution instead of just feeling overwhelmed. It also greatly increases my energy and focus! It does not make me a zombie to emotion but it does prevent me from obsessing and lingering on how things make me feel. I still feel sad anger etc but in normal amounts like everyone else. Aside from very detailed dreams I've had no negative side effects. "

RayS45672 June 14, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Side effects are bad initially but now I am able to cope with side effects from this and I feel better now, less anxious and more calmer and happier!"

lyn tan December 27, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again."

DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking 60mg of Prozac a day for the last 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)when I was 14. Have lived with OCD and anxiety ever since. I'm now 32 and for the last two years since taking Prozac I feel normal again. I have experienced no side effects but did quickly realize that alcohol does not mix. But, I'd rather give up alcohol than go back to a mental institution."

fishcake dai October 11, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate