User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I have just started to use Fluoxetine. I was rather apprehensive at first but I am pleased I have taken this first step as my OCD was affecting my life as a whole. I will share any feedback as to how the drug is have an effect in the near future."

Cliveyboy (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2015

"I have OCD and I've been on Prozac for a short time, but it is so, so helpful. It's stemmed my obsessions a lot, to the point where I can actually focus in class and get my schoolwork done. I've had a few side effects such as weight gain, irregular appetite, and some weird moods, but it's all worth it."

Nimm (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): " Recommend using Lovan 20mg the generic brand of Prozac. Break in half to start at 10mg a day. Your looking for small signs of success. Keep a daily journal of your time taking it so you can look back TRUST ME this helps when spotting reaction patterns and finding right exact dosage amount. For some LESS Prozac is more benefit. Mania / sweating / twitching muscles was part of my first 2 months but settled down. Alcohol leaves toxins in your blood for 2 days that stop the medication working fully. Sex drive gone by 80%.** I have still had to apply daily mental awareness techniques and being aware of my thoughts to get great results. Not been a cure all but is brilliant"

Hugo. Depressive episodes. Ocd. Tourettes. Anxiety April 25, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac really saved my life 6 years ago when I was suffering from major Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Insomnia related to it. Tried to stop it few times but always had to come back. No sexual side effects even at 40mg/day. Unofortunately it seemed that the medicine had pooped-out on me after 5 years and I currently started taking Paxil."

Jeff235235 March 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!"

piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD."

Nord January 21, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Saved my life."

Raya1128 October 22, 2014

"I went from 20mg to 60mg and felt tip top. It curbed my obsessive compulsive disorder and it no longer ruled my life completely. Unfortunately I was feeling that good I started drinking, TO OFTEN, which stopped the medication working. I then convinced myself it would no longer work even though I stopped drinking. I then went onto citalopram, which did nothing for me at all. I then missed a docs appointment and then decided I would get through it all without tablets. I was ok for a while until the anxiety, OCD started to bully me again, I was a nightmare to live with, countless arguments with my missus, I couldn't handle anything shouting, screaming at my children. I'm back on fluoxedtine now, and really regret coming off it like I did."

Dr jeckle (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal."

Southern Summer September 15, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have Obessive compulsive disorder which causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Prozac has improved my quality of life I'm now a calm happy person with a great family of my own after being on Prozac a year. It really helps me focus on the real problems in my life and reaching a resolution instead of just feeling overwhelmed. It also greatly increases my energy and focus! It does not make me a zombie to emotion but it does prevent me from obsessing and lingering on how things make me feel. I still feel sad anger etc but in normal amounts like everyone else. Aside from very detailed dreams I've had no negative side effects. "

RayS45672 June 14, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Side effects are bad initially but now I am able to cope with side effects from this and I feel better now, less anxious and more calmer and happier!"

lyn tan December 27, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again."

DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been taking 60mg of Prozac a day for the last 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)when I was 14. Have lived with OCD and anxiety ever since. I'm now 32 and for the last two years since taking Prozac I feel normal again. I have experienced no side effects but did quickly realize that alcohol does not mix. But, I'd rather give up alcohol than go back to a mental institution."

fishcake dai October 11, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking fluoxetine after running through a lot of SSRIs. My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder was so severe it was debilitating. I tried Zoloft and Seroquel as well as, Luvox and Anafranil (Anafranil awful side effects). After taking 300 mg of Zoloft and just not feeling right I went to my doctor and we switched to fluoxetine. I WAS 100 PERCENT better in 5 days. This saved my life. However, please be patient it may take some trial and error to find the right medicine for you. Don't give up, keep at it."

Benefited August 18, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "In 1990 (age 45) I had a nervous breakdown. I did a lot of strange things and ended up in a mental ward. Because of medication I was taking I developed a problem with simple walking. While at the hospital, I decided to re-teach myself to walk normally. I practiced all the time. I got it right by the time I left but I found it was now impossible to stop walking back and forth, I was pacing all the time. This went on at least a year. Then my doctor thought that PROZAC would possibly help me. After starting Prozac, 2 weeks into it, I sat down and no longer needed to pace.....aaaahhhhh...Peace at last. I continue to take it for depression, no side effects noticed."

venus8i8 (taken for 10 years or more) August 15, 2013

"I have been taking fluoxetine for 3 months to treat sexual obsessive compulsive disorder and I felt 100%. There has been no thoughts of wanting to be a women. I can think and feel that it is the best medicine I have ever tried."

steve 1970 June 12, 2013

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It was very disappointing when Zoloft and Ability didn't work for me, but Prozac began working within 4 to 5 days of taking. This medicine is working good for my OCD."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took (10mg a day) of the generic brand of this medication for a couple of months and I saw no difference. My racing-obsessive thoughts were still there and I had difficulty to orgasm. I decided to quit taking it right when I was supposed to up my dose to 20mg a day. I then started taking 5HTP for about 4 months and I don't think it is helping either, the racing thoughts are still there. I am thinking of giving Zoloft a try now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2012

"I've been on Prozac since April 2011. Before that I was on Lexapro for 5 years. Lexapro helped with my depression, but did nothing for my anxiety. I have post traumatic stress disorder, and a side effect of PTSD is obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, depression, trichotillomania and binge eating. Prozac has almost eliminated all of that. No more depression, very mild anxiety. My OCD and trichotillomania are under control. I have also lost 50 lbs but I do not know if this is because of the medication. The only side effect I experienced was being trapped in nightmares. This only happened the first month I started."

DaisyRae June 9, 2012

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac has changed my life. I've suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, and Depression since I was in my pre-teens. I've tried Celexa and Paxil, but couldn't sleep at all while using them. I asked my physician to prescribe Prozac on the advice of a friend and I've had amazing results. I started at 10 mg a day and increased to 20 mg a day after a month. I noticed that I was drowsy and unmotivated during the day when I took the medicine in the morning, so I switched to a bedtime dose and I haven't noticed any side effects since then. Prozac makes me calmer and much more in control of my fears. Others who didn't know I had gone on medication have noticed a positive change as well. I've been on Prozac for 4 months."

Thank you Prozac (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2012

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I love Prozac. It really helped with keeping me relaxed and in a decent mood and severely lessened my need to feed the OCD. For some reason my doctor recommended that I should try Zoloft instead. For the first two weeks on Zoloft I had diarrhea and now after six months on it I am starting to have moderate to severe pain in my legs. My leg muscles always feel as if they need a good stretch."

quetzacotl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2012

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took Prozac for 15 years and it worked great for obsessive compulsive disorder! About 3 years ago I started noticing "mania" where I couldn't sleep or sit still to even eat. After seeing several different doctors who treated it with medication for ADHD or Bi-polar it was determined that it was a side effect to Prozac so I stopped taking Prozac and all the mania stopped. Google shows two side effects to Prozac are 1) can't sit still and 2) can't sleep at night. I wanted to share this unusual experience to help any others who may be experiencing mania and can't figure out why. If you too are on Prozac then it may be a side effect but check with your doctor. "

Anonymous March 9, 2012

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've only been taking Prozac for a very short while but once it started to kick in, it was like waking up from a three year-long OCD/major depressive nightmare. I feel like myself for the first time in forever. I've tried other antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines and nothing else has worked for me. I'm already having less obsessive thoughts and compulsions, and the crippling sense of dread, anxiety and panic that accompanies my OCD is lifting. I just started it recently so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the preliminary results have been amazing. I'm so grateful to feel like a human being again."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took Prozac for 6 years continually. Started at 20mg/day and went up to 100mg/day at times. My new doctor took me off of Prozac 2 years ago and put me on another medication. I have gained 90 pounds in 2 years. I am pulling out my hair again, intrusive thoughts. I had no side effects from Prozac, no loss of sexual drive. I LOVED (and still love) Prozac. As a matter of fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see about getting back on Prozac!"

Anonymous December 4, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took this medicine for OCD. It helped however I put on 30 pounds in 2 months and that's with not changing my diet or exercise. I've been off it for 3 months and the scale hasn't moved at all. "

Anonymous November 15, 2011