Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Review by Dr jeckle (taken for less than 1 month):

I went from 20mg to 60mg and felt tip top. It curbed my obsessive compulsive disorder and it no longer ruled my life completely. Unfortunately I was feeling that good I started drinking, TO OFTEN, which stopped the medication working. I then convinced myself it would no longer work even though I stopped drinking. I then went onto citalopram, which did nothing for me at all. I then missed a docs appointment and then decided I would get through it all without tablets. I was ok for a while until the anxiety, OCD started to bully me again, I was a nightmare to live with, countless arguments with my missus, I couldn't handle anything shouting, screaming at my children. I'm back on fluoxedtine now, and really regret coming off it like I did.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Southern Summer:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been taking fluoxetine for about five months now. It has been a God send for me! I am notoriously moody, possibly from BPD, and I do have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where I have repetitive thoughts and the only way I can describe Prozac is that it feels like a vice grip on your brain that made you think about things over and over, releases completely. I feel so in control and wherever I put my focus, it stays without drifting back. I love this medication so much I will never leave it. The only complaint I have is that it does take forever to work. Forget about the 6 to 8 week rule, it will take a few months. And when it works, you will feel so amazing. For me, 60 mgs is ideal.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by RayS45672:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have Obessive compulsive disorder which causes a lot of anxiety and depression. Prozac has improved my quality of life I'm now a calm happy person with a great family of my own after being on Prozac a year. It really helps me focus on the real problems in my life and reaching a resolution instead of just feeling overwhelmed. It also greatly increases my energy and focus! It does not make me a zombie to emotion but it does prevent me from obsessing and lingering on how things make me feel. I still feel sad anger etc but in normal amounts like everyone else. Aside from very detailed dreams I've had no negative side effects.

June 14, 2014 9:22 AM

Review by lyn tan:

Side effects are bad initially but now I am able to cope with side effects from this and I feel better now, less anxious and more calmer and happier!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by fishcake dai:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been taking 60mg of Prozac a day for the last 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)when I was 14. Have lived with OCD and anxiety ever since. I'm now 32 and for the last two years since taking Prozac I feel normal again. I have experienced no side effects but did quickly realize that alcohol does not mix. But, I'd rather give up alcohol than go back to a mental institution.

October 11, 2013 3:55 PM

Review by Benefited:

I started taking fluoxetine after running through a lot of SSRIs. My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder was so severe it was debilitating. I tried Zoloft and Seroquel as well as, Luvox and Anafranil (Anafranil awful side effects). After taking 300 mg of Zoloft and just not feeling right I went to my doctor and we switched to fluoxetine. I WAS 100 PERCENT better in 5 days. This saved my life. However, please be patient it may take some trial and error to find the right medicine for you. Don't give up, keep at it.

August 18, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by venus8i8 (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): In 1990 (age 45) I had a nervous breakdown. I did a lot of strange things and ended up in a mental ward. Because of medication I was taking I developed a problem with simple walking. While at the hospital, I decided to re-teach myself to walk normally. I practiced all the time. I got it right by the time I left but I found it was now impossible to stop walking back and forth, I was pacing all the time. This went on at least a year. Then my doctor thought that PROZAC would possibly help me. After starting Prozac, 2 weeks into it, I sat down and no longer needed to pace.....aaaahhhhh...Peace at last. I continue to take it for depression, no side effects noticed.

August 15, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by steve 1970:

I have been taking fluoxetine for 3 months to treat sexual obsessive compulsive disorder and I felt 100%. There has been no thoughts of wanting to be a women. I can think and feel that it is the best medicine I have ever tried.

June 12, 2013 10:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): It was very disappointing when Zoloft and Ability didn't work for me, but Prozac began working within 4 to 5 days of taking. This medicine is working good for my OCD.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2012 2:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took (10mg a day) of the generic brand of this medication for a couple of months and I saw no difference. My racing-obsessive thoughts were still there and I had difficulty to orgasm. I decided to quit taking it right when I was supposed to up my dose to 20mg a day. I then started taking 5HTP for about 4 months and I don't think it is helping either, the racing thoughts are still there. I am thinking of giving Zoloft a try now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2012 2:07 PM

Review by DaisyRae:

I've been on Prozac since April 2011. Before that I was on Lexapro for 5 years. Lexapro helped with my depression, but did nothing for my anxiety. I have post traumatic stress disorder, and a side effect of PTSD is obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, depression, trichotillomania and binge eating. Prozac has almost eliminated all of that. No more depression, very mild anxiety. My OCD and trichotillomania are under control. I have also lost 50 lbs but I do not know if this is because of the medication. The only side effect I experienced was being trapped in nightmares. This only happened the first month I started.

June 9, 2012 9:52 AM

Review by Thank you Prozac (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac has changed my life. I've suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, and Depression since I was in my pre-teens. I've tried Celexa and Paxil, but couldn't sleep at all while using them. I asked my physician to prescribe Prozac on the advice of a friend and I've had amazing results. I started at 10 mg a day and increased to 20 mg a day after a month. I noticed that I was drowsy and unmotivated during the day when I took the medicine in the morning, so I switched to a bedtime dose and I haven't noticed any side effects since then. Prozac makes me calmer and much more in control of my fears. Others who didn't know I had gone on medication have noticed a positive change as well. I've been on Prozac for 4 months.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2012 9:51 PM

Review by quetzacotl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I love Prozac. It really helped with keeping me relaxed and in a decent mood and severely lessened my need to feed the OCD. For some reason my doctor recommended that I should try Zoloft instead. For the first two weeks on Zoloft I had diarrhea and now after six months on it I am starting to have moderate to severe pain in my legs. My leg muscles always feel as if they need a good stretch.

May 6, 2012 5:12 PM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took Prozac for 15 years and it worked great for obsessive compulsive disorder! About 3 years ago I started noticing "mania" where I couldn't sleep or sit still to even eat. After seeing several different doctors who treated it with medication for ADHD or Bi-polar it was determined that it was a side effect to Prozac so I stopped taking Prozac and all the mania stopped. Google shows two side effects to Prozac are 1) can't sit still and 2) can't sleep at night. I wanted to share this unusual experience to help any others who may be experiencing mania and can't figure out why. If you too are on Prozac then it may be a side effect but check with your doctor.

March 9, 2012 11:22 AM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've only been taking Prozac for a very short while but once it started to kick in, it was like waking up from a three year-long OCD/major depressive nightmare. I feel like myself for the first time in forever. I've tried other antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines and nothing else has worked for me. I'm already having less obsessive thoughts and compulsions, and the crippling sense of dread, anxiety and panic that accompanies my OCD is lifting. I just started it recently so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the preliminary results have been amazing. I'm so grateful to feel like a human being again.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 10:42 AM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took Prozac for 6 years continually. Started at 20mg/day and went up to 100mg/day at times. My new doctor took me off of Prozac 2 years ago and put me on another medication. I have gained 90 pounds in 2 years. I am pulling out my hair again, intrusive thoughts. I had no side effects from Prozac, no loss of sexual drive. I LOVED (and still love) Prozac. As a matter of fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see about getting back on Prozac!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2011 3:56 PM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took this medicine for OCD. It helped however I put on 30 pounds in 2 months and that's with not changing my diet or exercise. I've been off it for 3 months and the scale hasn't moved at all.

November 15, 2011 6:43 AM

Prozac (fluoxetine): Taking 10mg for OCD and social phobia with very satisfactory results. Only side effects I've experienced are loss of appetite and mild forgetfulness. I have not experienced a loss of sexual desire, in fact my libido has increased somewhat.

October 28, 2011 6:02 PM

Review by madougl:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've taken Prozac for 15 years, started when my husband was critically ill. It was a life saver, it stopped me from crying all the time. He passed away in 1998 and continued taking it for depression..was taking 40mg a day and yes it takes all sexual desire away. I remarried 6 years ago. I weened myself off of it because of that. I developed Compulsive Overeating...that's all I thought about. I gained a lot of weight so I'm back on it. I could care less about sex. I don't like going to sleep the dreams are vivid, but it does help me with my appetite. I don't think about food all the time like I did.

October 7, 2011 9:18 AM

Review by SarahGirl:

I have been taking Prozac since I was 10 years old. I'm 24 now and can say overall it works pretty well. It takes the edge off my OCD and the anger/frustration I get from having this disorder.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2011 11:01 PM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been taking Prozac for almost 2 yrs for my OCD and depression. The medicine has done wonders for my disability but has done nothing good for my relationship with my boyfriend. Prozac has taken my sex drive completely away. We try everything to bring it back but nothing works. I had no choice but to take myself off the medicine.

March 22, 2011 11:27 PM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been on Prozac for almost a year. Although my dose has been upped a couple of times, I feel like I have my life back. I know what quality of life is now.

February 3, 2011 10:02 PM

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been on Prozac for about 4-5 months. My doctor started me on the lowest dosage (10mg) and we had to increase it. Currently, I've been on 40mg/day for about 5 weeks or so. It seems to be helping me with my OCD somewhat. I've noticed that I haven't been quite as bad as I used to be, but I'm also seeing a counselor, which is helping as well. I've heard that for OCD, you may need to go as high as 60-80mg for people with OCD. We may change my dosage in the future.

December 28, 2010 10:20 AM

Review by OCD:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been on Prozac for about 3 months and I must admit that it is a wonderful drug. It helps me control anger and anxiety issues that I have. My only complaint is that I seem to get tremors, but I could live with that.

November 10, 2008 6:48 PM