User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

"Started 6th of May so hasn't been long. Suffered severe Post-Natal Depression with youngest child 9 years ago, got over that and have been fine up until recently. I had a miscarriage over Christmas and over the months following found myself getting very low again but most of all noticed the anxiety, hypochondria and irritation. Doctor put me 20mg Fluoxetine a day and seems to be good so far. Definately less anxiety but also definately lack of energy and I have tiredness. No matter how much sleep I get I feel like a Zombie in the morning and yawn a lot until I have some coffee. My sense of humour, libido and appetite have decreased but I am putting that down to 'can't be bothered' feeling. Sticking with it for now. Gives hangover from hell too!!!"

DottyUnicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had my 2nd baby 5 months ago and was having postpartum depression symptoms that turned into extreme anxiety. I was always irritated and very short tempered. My 8 year old had to hear me screaming and fighting with my husband and I felt so bad for her. I finally made it to the doctor and was prescribed prozac. It is literally saving my life!! I feel happier and less stressed. I don't know if it's making me tired since I have an infant and I'm tired anyway. Although it's been a short time that I'm taking it, I definitely feel the difference!"

Elated27 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Great for anxiety. I find that I like life a lot more - I like people more. Finally got off Klonopan, which I couldn't live without. The problem is major lethargy. I've tried taking it morning and night, but the tiredness is still there. I'm hoping that goes away with time. I have been on it for 5 weeks."

Anonymous May 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It works for me. Years of PMT now I feel normal."

man67 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I would have to say this medicine really saved my life . I couldn't even go through life at first , I started to believe that I would deal with anxiety forever . I highly recommend This medication to anyone suffering from anxiety . At first my anxiety got worse and I was nauseous and couldn't sleep , but after about two and a half weeks my anxiety completely vanished! I feel better than ever now and I'm only on the 20 mg . Anyone wanting to take Prozac I encourage you to"

danae_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have titled this 'anxiety and stress' but also have been suffering from major depression, suicidal ideation, Pure-O OCD, and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I'm currently on 20mg Fluoxetine, and can honestly say that this medication has saved my life. It hasn't been plain sailing. I've had periods when I felt so tired that I couldn't move, and I had the worst panic attacks and anxiety ever for the first couple of weeks. Hang in there! I purposely ensured that my dosages increased gradually (similar to the 'cranzac method'), so it's probably another 10-12 days before I get the full 20mg effect, so I am expecting even more side effects. But I feel indescribably better than before. A true wonder drug, if you can stick out the bad days."

Carrieb78 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac has been a miracle for my anxiety. My anxiety was always like a constant static in my head. This "static" has caused me to have social anxiety has well. On Prozac, I feel my anxiety (the static in my head) isn't holding me back anymore, I talk to people and I can finally be happy and free."

ddaannaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm currently taking Prozac (Fluoxetine) for severe generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic attacks. I only take 20mg a day and even though the first month left me with horrendous nausea and weight loss it subsided after about 25 days and now I find that my appetite as a whole has decreased slightly but the nausea has now subsided. My anxiety has improved so much to the point that I'm actually leaving the house for activities other than work and I'm having conversations with people I'd usually ignore because I'd feel so self conscious. I've actually had people (that don't know I suffer from anxiety or that I'm taking Prozac (fluoxetine)) comment on how well I look recently and how happy I appear within myself."

EL94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For whatever reason I began to experience social anxiety and panic attacks,now when I think back,at least 2 years ago. But I didn't understand what was happening to me. At first I thought I simply developed a bad attitude toward people. My work started to be effected. I couldn't recall work procedures, I had problems putting my words together to speak, I would get extremely nervous in social settings, scared to ask questions, fear of everyone talking about me, sometimes I just didn't want to leave out my house. I was stressed over little issues, talking in my sleep, fatigue, sluggish, slow to respond. I can go on and on. I had been on Welbutrin daily and Xanax as needed. My doctor prescribed Prozac to me three days ago. It works !!!!I"

Noosie91 April 10, 2015

"I've been taking 90mg once a week for 6 weeks now. It has helped my depression and quality of life so much. Until this last week I have been having back to back anxiety/ panic attacks and I'm not sure what to do about it yet because of the benefits..... Does this go away? My chest hurts and I'm basically vibrating now every time it happens...."

LbUnforgettable March 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on this medicine for two weeks, i felt fine even a little happier, but for 3 days straight I went into a major depression, I have stopped taking it."

Kendall221 March 10, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have always had anxiety however about 7 months ago I began to have panic attacks walking to the shops by myself walking to work, I thought I was going to pass out it was awful. Then one day I just couldn't walk to work, I got half way then I was convinced I was going to faint so walked home. I then realized how out of control my anxiety had become my partner went with me the doctor prescribed me 20mg tablets (once a day). The first 2 weeks my anxiety was definitely heightened it felt like I was losing the plot. However within a month I found myself walking to the shops and work feeling fine. I haven't had a panic attack for over 2 months, I wish I had started this medication sooner I now feel normal again."

Annouska March 8, 2015

"Wife forced me to go to the doctors for work related stress and I was prescribed Fluoxetine. 4 days later she said I'd had a personality change over night. I feel so much better. No more grumps or irrtations which believe it or not, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with because I seriously didn't realise I was that bad."

Geefeye (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This is my third medication I've tried for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was first on fluvoxamine and Klonopin and those did nothing but make me a zombie. A month into Prozac while I was feeling the side effects of dizziness and whatnot everything just turned back on. Literally it's like someone turned the lights on. All I can say is it takes time, don't be discouraged. Also pay attention to what you take with it. I was on Zoloft and was getting extremely dizzy. Prozac doesn't agree with certain medications and definitely not caffeine. For the most part though I went from having panic attacks so bad they felt like heart attacks to being completely calm and "normal"."

Anonymous_0989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Works great for: anxiety, depression, OCD, PMS, IBS, coping with stress, fibromyalgia, sleeping better, low immunity from stress, headache prevention, helps you think positive rather than negative thoughts. Negative side effects include daytime fatigue, dry mouth, agitation/hyperactivity, harder to orgasm, harder to feel in love/emotional numbness, vivid dreams."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

"I was on Paxil 40mg for years and my anxiety was very minimal. I switched to Prozac couple of months ago because I thought the weight gain and side effects from Paxil was too much. Now after about 8 weeks on Prozac 20mg my anxiety isn't getting better and I'm often dealing with anxiety/panic again. My Np tried to switch me from 20 mg daily to 40mg 3 days a week but I thought that was making anxiety worse. "

Paulied February 16, 2015

"Started with awful upset stomach, but that's now passed and we've progressed to a constant nagging headache that painkillers won't touch. Also feeling shaky with it, physically gittery- but these are all common symptoms so I'm sticking with it as in the long run these symptoms will fade. I'm on 20mg daily, my appetite has vanished so forcing myself to eat. Sleep is disturbed by weird dreams and general restlessness. So overall feeling exhausted. Sticking with it, feeling positive that once my body adapts I will feel the effects!"

Katezz124 February 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep."

Relieved7 February 1, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment."

Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2015

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!"

Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good."

EmBo333 December 8, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public."

Savedme November 17, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It worked great for me.. but towards the end put on 10 pounds.. but it really kept my mind positive and stable."

jp. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2014

"I had Post Partum Depression after my baby was born and ignored it thinking it would go away..after 18 months..it blew up in my face. I had severe panic attacks was constantly in a state of fear and vertigo. I could not sit still. I would dry heave every morning or before I had to go anywhere, severe social anxiety, severe hypochondria. I would spend hours looking up a disease I thought I had at a specific time. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Xanax was helping but maybe for an hour a day. I had huge outbursts of anger. I would keep thinking negative thoughts..thought that I could not live any longer like this. I was reluctant to take it at first but then said...I can't feel any worse. I've been on it since Aug 8th 2014."

gigismom74 November 2, 2014