User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Paulied:

I was on Paxil 40mg for years and my anxiety was very minimal. I switched to Prozac couple of months ago because I thought the weight gain and side effects from Paxil was too much. Now after about 8 weeks on Prozac 20mg my anxiety isn't getting better and I'm often dealing with anxiety/panic again. My Np tried to switch me from 20 mg daily to 40mg 3 days a week but I thought that was making anxiety worse.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by Relieved7:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep.

February 1, 2015 1:18 PM

Review by Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment.

January 20, 2015 4:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression.

January 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Review by Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!

December 11, 2014 8:32 PM

Review by EmBo333:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good.

December 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Savedme:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by jp. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It worked great for me.. but towards the end put on 10 pounds.. but it really kept my mind positive and stable.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by gigismom74:

I had Post Partum Depression after my baby was born and ignored it thinking it would go away..after 18 months..it blew up in my face. I had severe panic attacks was constantly in a state of fear and vertigo. I could not sit still. I would dry heave every morning or before I had to go anywhere, severe social anxiety, severe hypochondria. I would spend hours looking up a disease I thought I had at a specific time. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Xanax was helping but maybe for an hour a day. I had huge outbursts of anger. I would keep thinking negative thoughts..thought that I could not live any longer like this. I was reluctant to take it at first but then said...I can't feel any worse. I've been on it since Aug 8th 2014.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by delarla123:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg.

October 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by onalevel (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was prescribed fluoxetine for anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder about a year ago but I stopped it for around three months and went back on it around six weeks ago. I also tried citalopram but I didn't like them. I've also had treatment but I have to say fluoxetine has beaten it all, I've never been so mentally free, it feels surreal and seems too good to be true. I haven't been sleeping well and I was sweating a hell of a lot at first.

October 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Cristina908:

I have been taking this for a month now. I am taking Fluoxetine 10 mg for depression and anxiety. I am 20 years old. I have had anxiety and been having panic attacks for years. Recently, it's gotten worse and I gathered the courage to go to a Dr. He prescribed this medication for 3 months. I started feeling the effects about 2 1/2 weeks in. The daily pangs of anxiety are gone, and I feel so much better already. I am so glad I went to the Dr. and so thankful for this medication. I can describe the feeling as normal, and relieved. The side effects I have experienced have been headache while taking it on an empty stomach. Besides that, I have absolutely no complaints.

September 30, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

211 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by joey777:

Prozac has really helped me a lot. I was having all kinds of anxiety thoughts and having stomach pain caused my anxiety. I had a eye twitch for about a month that went away. I highly recommend this or Lexapro for anxiety!

August 27, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by prozac patty:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by angelolanding (taken for less than 1 month):

I have recently been diagnosed with stage l cancer (luckily it was caught early) but none the less it isn't great news. After surgery my doc described to me what to watch out for. Well ultimately I must have had a panic attack and went to the ER with intense chest pains. My doc prescribed Prozac I have only taken it once and got a headache plus I was feeling a little self conscience about it. But after reading some of the reviews I will go ahead and continue with the treatment. Because now when I start feeling stressed those intense chest pains come back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Cateliza:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Cloe w (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

After the birth of my son, I was left with post natal depression under the guise of constant severe anxiety and as many as 20 panic attacks a day leaving me house bound and useless. After 2 years of battling on I realized it was time to see a doctor. I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine once a day. After reason side effects and online reviews I was terrified to say the least! Never the less after a few weeks of extreme tiredness and weight loss (which was actually a Benefit) I am now able to say PROZAC SAVED MY LIFE. I am back to my normal self with very few side effects, and I have never felt better. I am also undergoing CBT in order to be able to come off the tablets and still be anxiety free but I cannot thank fluoxetine enough!

August 5, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took prozac several years ago, and it worked a little bit for a while. Often, though, it made me feel really lethargic, sleepy, and extremely apathetic to most things. It sort of did it's job, but not well enough, as I have now switched to something that works better.

July 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by V-R:

I have suffered from anxiety for about 20 yrs my doctor switched me to Prozac and I have to say I'm always been anxious but now I'm anxious AND depressed! What's the deal? It's been almost 3 mos and I'm taking it religiously, are there any long time users that can shed some light? Does it get better? I've had over 4 panic attacks since I've started this medication.

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by usedtobesoanxious:

Great for me! Life changer. My day to day anxiety is pretty much gone. I take 40 mg every night. A bit more tired in the mornings making it harder to wake up. Decreased sex drive. Still take 2 to 3 mg of Xanax only when giving speeches and presentations to large groups (only when needed as Xanax can be dangerous).

June 20, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Rob C:

There are pros and cons with Prozac. The pros: helped me a lot with generalized anxiety and obsessive thinking. It's a cheap medicine. The cons: made some emotions that I wanted to experience, a bit numb. My Mum passed away last year, and it was difficult to grieve for her because I couldn't feel the full weight of the emotion. Also, if/when coming off Prozac, the withdrawal can be difficult if not managed properly.

June 12, 2014 6:09 PM