Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by danae_ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I would have to say this medicine really saved my life . I couldn't even go through life at first , I started to believe that I would deal with anxiety forever . I highly recommend This medication to anyone suffering from anxiety . At first my anxiety got worse and I was nauseous and couldn't sleep , but after about two and a half weeks my anxiety completely vanished! I feel better than ever now and I'm only on the 20 mg . Anyone wanting to take Prozac I encourage you to

April 16, 2015 10:02 AM

Review by Carrieb78 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have titled this 'anxiety and stress' but also have been suffering from major depression, suicidal ideation, Pure-O OCD, and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I'm currently on 20mg Fluoxetine, and can honestly say that this medication has saved my life. It hasn't been plain sailing. I've had periods when I felt so tired that I couldn't move, and I had the worst panic attacks and anxiety ever for the first couple of weeks. Hang in there! I purposely ensured that my dosages increased gradually (similar to the 'cranzac method'), so it's probably another 10-12 days before I get the full 20mg effect, so I am expecting even more side effects. But I feel indescribably better than before. A true wonder drug, if you can stick out the bad days.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 5:57 AM

Review by ddaannaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac has been a miracle for my anxiety. My anxiety was always like a constant static in my head. This "static" has caused me to have social anxiety has well. On Prozac, I feel my anxiety (the static in my head) isn't holding me back anymore, I talk to people and I can finally be happy and free.

April 14, 2015 7:49 PM

Review by EL94 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I'm currently taking Prozac (Fluoxetine) for severe generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic attacks. I only take 20mg a day and even though the first month left me with horrendous nausea and weight loss it subsided after about 25 days and now I find that my appetite as a whole has decreased slightly but the nausea has now subsided. My anxiety has improved so much to the point that I'm actually leaving the house for activities other than work and I'm having conversations with people I'd usually ignore because I'd feel so self conscious. I've actually had people (that don't know I suffer from anxiety or that I'm taking Prozac (fluoxetine)) comment on how well I look recently and how happy I appear within myself.

April 14, 2015 4:34 PM

Review by Noosie91:

Prozac (fluoxetine): For whatever reason I began to experience social anxiety and panic attacks,now when I think back,at least 2 years ago. But I didn't understand what was happening to me. At first I thought I simply developed a bad attitude toward people. My work started to be effected. I couldn't recall work procedures, I had problems putting my words together to speak, I would get extremely nervous in social settings, scared to ask questions, fear of everyone talking about me, sometimes I just didn't want to leave out my house. I was stressed over little issues, talking in my sleep, fatigue, sluggish, slow to respond. I can go on and on. I had been on Welbutrin daily and Xanax as needed. My doctor prescribed Prozac to me three days ago. It works !!!!I

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 6:56 PM

Review by Kendall221:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I was on this medicine for two weeks, i felt fine even a little happier, but for 3 days straight I went into a major depression, I have stopped taking it.

March 10, 2015 10:13 AM

Review by Geefeye (taken for less than 1 month):

Wife forced me to go to the doctors for work related stress and I was prescribed Fluoxetine. 4 days later she said I'd had a personality change over night. I feel so much better. No more grumps or irrtations which believe it or not, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with because I seriously didn't realise I was that bad.

March 7, 2015 12:17 AM

Review by Anonymous_0989 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): This is my third medication I've tried for my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was first on fluvoxamine and Klonopin and those did nothing but make me a zombie. A month into Prozac while I was feeling the side effects of dizziness and whatnot everything just turned back on. Literally it's like someone turned the lights on. All I can say is it takes time, don't be discouraged. Also pay attention to what you take with it. I was on Zoloft and was getting extremely dizzy. Prozac doesn't agree with certain medications and definitely not caffeine. For the most part though I went from having panic attacks so bad they felt like heart attacks to being completely calm and "normal".

March 2, 2015 8:30 PM

Review by Paulied:

I was on Paxil 40mg for years and my anxiety was very minimal. I switched to Prozac couple of months ago because I thought the weight gain and side effects from Paxil was too much. Now after about 8 weeks on Prozac 20mg my anxiety isn't getting better and I'm often dealing with anxiety/panic again. My Np tried to switch me from 20 mg daily to 40mg 3 days a week but I thought that was making anxiety worse.

February 16, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by Katezz124:

Started with awful upset stomach, but that's now passed and we've progressed to a constant nagging headache that painkillers won't touch. Also feeling shaky with it, physically gittery- but these are all common symptoms so I'm sticking with it as in the long run these symptoms will fade. I'm on 20mg daily, my appetite has vanished so forcing myself to eat. Sleep is disturbed by weird dreams and general restlessness. So overall feeling exhausted. Sticking with it, feeling positive that once my body adapts I will feel the effects!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2015 8:17 AM

Review by Relieved7:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 1:18 PM

Review by Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 4:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Review by Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!

December 11, 2014 8:32 PM

Review by EmBo333:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Savedme:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by jp. (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It worked great for me.. but towards the end put on 10 pounds.. but it really kept my mind positive and stable.

November 5, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by gigismom74:

I had Post Partum Depression after my baby was born and ignored it thinking it would go away..after 18 months..it blew up in my face. I had severe panic attacks was constantly in a state of fear and vertigo. I could not sit still. I would dry heave every morning or before I had to go anywhere, severe social anxiety, severe hypochondria. I would spend hours looking up a disease I thought I had at a specific time. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Xanax was helping but maybe for an hour a day. I had huge outbursts of anger. I would keep thinking negative thoughts..thought that I could not live any longer like this. I was reluctant to take it at first but then said...I can't feel any worse. I've been on it since Aug 8th 2014.

November 2, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by liked prozac (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been on Prozac for approx 25 years. Whenever I try to get off of it I never feel as good as I do when I take it. I recommend this medicine to treat depression, anxiety, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder and stress.

229 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by delarla123:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I feel good...not great...but better than before. I can't lose weight and I am on 40mg.

October 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by onalevel (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was prescribed fluoxetine for anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder about a year ago but I stopped it for around three months and went back on it around six weeks ago. I also tried citalopram but I didn't like them. I've also had treatment but I have to say fluoxetine has beaten it all, I've never been so mentally free, it feels surreal and seems too good to be true. I haven't been sleeping well and I was sweating a hell of a lot at first.

October 3, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Cristina908:

I have been taking this for a month now. I am taking Fluoxetine 10 mg for depression and anxiety. I am 20 years old. I have had anxiety and been having panic attacks for years. Recently, it's gotten worse and I gathered the courage to go to a Dr. He prescribed this medication for 3 months. I started feeling the effects about 2 1/2 weeks in. The daily pangs of anxiety are gone, and I feel so much better already. I am so glad I went to the Dr. and so thankful for this medication. I can describe the feeling as normal, and relieved. The side effects I have experienced have been headache while taking it on an empty stomach. Besides that, I have absolutely no complaints.

September 30, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by aem0020 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac worked wonders for my anxiety and mild depression. I always struggled with PMS-related anxiety, but after some big life changes, morning anxiety was more and more frequent and my motivation and drive to accomplish anything was low. I didn't want to get out of bed, even though nothing was wrong with my life. I just had an overarching feeling of hopelessness. Went to the doctor and she prescribed 20mg. Had bad nausea the first two weeks, then it went away, but I was still struggling with anxiety some mornings. She bumped me up to 40mg, and although it's only been a few days, I can totally tell a difference. I'm more motivated, happy and content. No anxiety. No nausea. Grateful for this med. I feel good for the first time in awhile.

244 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by spinelessplague:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I have been an anxiety/depression patient for 5 years now. Have taken all kinds of medicines have had stints of quitting only to fall back on the meds, went medication free for 3 full months before symptoms began to show again. can honestly say that FOR ME Prozac has allowed me to live life. At my worst I wasn't even able to go in a store even if it was only for one item. Now I can take my kids grocery shopping with no issues. Like I said FOR ME this has worked.

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by joey777:

Prozac has really helped me a lot. I was having all kinds of anxiety thoughts and having stomach pain caused my anxiety. I had a eye twitch for about a month that went away. I highly recommend this or Lexapro for anxiety!

August 27, 2014 12:09 AM