User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Started with 20mg then after around 45 days increased to 40. Dry mouth, fatigue, lightheadeness, increased anxiety, headaches, were common at first, however in time slowly decreased. I now have good day time energy, I'm sleeping well at night. Confidence level is becoming stronger. I pray the next few weeks at 40 mg takes me to were I want to be. So far, so good!"

Hard Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took Lexapro for a little over a year and it worked beautifully. The only reason I weaned off was because of weight gain. My Doctor prescribed 10mg of Prozac and said it should not cause any weight gain. I am on it 17 days now and my only side effect is slight anxiety and a few panic attacks. I had none of this on Lexapro. My question is, should I hand in there and when will I feel good?"

Soozieque July 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been taking Prozac since I was thirteen years old or so. I'm sixteen now, and I'm worried that if I ever stop, I'll get bad again. I have severe anxiety and had depression. The depression has gone away, but the anxiety has worsened. Not from this medication, but I believe I need a larger dose. Anyways, this drug has helped me and made me feel like it can get better. Knowing the chemistry in my brain is really helpful too, to know that serotonin is being released. I would recommend for severe depression, but not anxiety unless at a larger dose. I'm on 40mg now, but took 20mg up until a month ago."

Anon173810 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on prozac 10mg for 6 days and no change. When will I feel better?"

olegsmummy July 4, 2015

"Prozac completely changed my personality to worse. I was a worrying, anxious person and after 3 months of prozac I stopped caring about anything, starting having agressive bouts of being irritable, and also killed my libido. Regret having taken this. Therapy is the answer for me and I am sure for maaaaaaany people who take this medicine."

Annonimuss (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"Suffered from anxiety for many years mostly social anxiety that resulted in panic attacks. Tried therapy, breathing techniques, relaxing workouts, eating healthy. I really wanted to avoid medication at all costs. I was repeatedly missing work due to the fatigue of stress and decided to take my doctors advice. At this time my immune system was poor, my skin was horrible, and my whole body ached. I started Prozac 20mg once a day and have been taking it for 60 days. I did not have any bad reactions or nausea. My mood is significantly better, my skin is better, I am performing well at work, I feel happy to communicate with others and I do not have panic attacks anymore (a daily happening before). I feel so much better!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I love this medication. Im 16 and had major anxiety. I used to not wanna be around people at all. I hated so many things. Now that I'm taking the medicine I realized I also had depression. I'm a whole other person. I'm so happy and my anxiety has lessened greatly."

Musiclover101 June 29, 2015

"It killed my libido and made me emotionally numb. Still waiting for my libido to come back 2 months after discontinuing. It lessened my anxiety though, but the side effects are not worth it. I regret having taken this drug."

Bongopongo June 26, 2015

"My experience with taking fluoxetine 40 mg has been great! My doctors tried several antidepressants. I must say I feel like a new person being on Fluoxetine I was so stressed out from working in a hostile environment and going through a menopause all at the same time. The problems became so intense my doctor literally had to take me off my job. I was having severe depression, anxiety, and panic attacks that was out of control. I was put me on the medication in January 2015. I have lost 29 lbs of stress weight that I had been carrying for quite sometime. I truly thank God for having a great set of doctors. Best."

SanW June 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Took this as I was having bad anxiety and insomnia, waking up early constantly with that uncomfortable tight chest feeling and just having no energy. Seemed to work for the first 3 days, then I got really depressed. I started at 5mg and went up 5mg a week til I hit 20mg. I have been super depressed, more anxious, was extremely nauseous and could barely eat for almost 2 weeks, and my sleep hasn't improved at all. After almost 4 weeks on this stuff, I am a mess and don't feel like myself at all. Weening off and trying something else. I got up to 15mg. Tried to get to 20 but just felt too horrible."

Brett84 June 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have battled anxiety for years. I have a supportive family, a loving husband and child, and could not understand why I wanted to sleep or cry the days away, the months away, the years away..... My breaking point was my family was struggling to comprehend why I did not want to do anything we loved anymore or be active in our daily life. It hit me hard I could not walk into a room of people without going into a panic. Prozac is the 3rd medicine I tried. I feel like a million dollars now. I am me again. I was on 10mg for 1 month and now 20mg a day. I'm crying as I write this because anxiety is real. It effected everything in my life. But not anymore. My fear and panic are gone. I can run circles around my loved ones! It's great."

guest85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac helped a lot with my depression and anxiety. It helped me be more calm... The only things I don't really like is the loss of appetite and recently I have been drowsy. I sometimes feel jittery. I've been taking it for less than a month but have seen a difference."

purplebear June 2, 2015

"In mid June I will have been on Prozac for a year. It helps me think before I act but I think that It makes me overthink, which can be good or bad. I noticed I'm really irritable and extremely tired no matter how much I sleep. This doesn't help me 100% but I have been controlling myself better. I am not myself. This grouchy, lazy, overreacting person is not me. I go through the school day and then I have no more motivation. I'm just going through the motions."

AleaD5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 28, 2015

"I love this medication. Been on it for a year for OCD and anxiety disorder. It makes me a normal person. Don't have nearly as many panic attacks and OCD is under control. I have lost weight on it cause I feel so good about myself. I enjoy doing activities again. Recommend for anyone who has anxiety disorders. Also,blood pressure has gone down."

Jayce84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2015

"Started 6th of May so hasn't been long. Suffered severe Post-Natal Depression with youngest child 9 years ago, got over that and have been fine up until recently. I had a miscarriage over Christmas and over the months following found myself getting very low again but most of all noticed the anxiety, hypochondria and irritation. Doctor put me 20mg Fluoxetine a day and seems to be good so far. Definately less anxiety but also definately lack of energy and I have tiredness. No matter how much sleep I get I feel like a Zombie in the morning and yawn a lot until I have some coffee. My sense of humour, libido and appetite have decreased but I am putting that down to 'can't be bothered' feeling. Sticking with it for now. Gives hangover from hell too!!!"

DottyUnicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had my 2nd baby 5 months ago and was having postpartum depression symptoms that turned into extreme anxiety. I was always irritated and very short tempered. My 8 year old had to hear me screaming and fighting with my husband and I felt so bad for her. I finally made it to the doctor and was prescribed prozac. It is literally saving my life!! I feel happier and less stressed. I don't know if it's making me tired since I have an infant and I'm tired anyway. Although it's been a short time that I'm taking it, I definitely feel the difference!"

Elated27 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Great for anxiety. I find that I like life a lot more - I like people more. Finally got off Klonopan, which I couldn't live without. The problem is major lethargy. I've tried taking it morning and night, but the tiredness is still there. I'm hoping that goes away with time. I have been on it for 5 weeks."

Anonymous May 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It works for me. Years of PMT now I feel normal."

man67 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I would have to say this medicine really saved my life . I couldn't even go through life at first , I started to believe that I would deal with anxiety forever . I highly recommend This medication to anyone suffering from anxiety . At first my anxiety got worse and I was nauseous and couldn't sleep , but after about two and a half weeks my anxiety completely vanished! I feel better than ever now and I'm only on the 20 mg . Anyone wanting to take Prozac I encourage you to"

danae_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have titled this 'anxiety and stress' but also have been suffering from major depression, suicidal ideation, Pure-O OCD, and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I'm currently on 20mg Fluoxetine, and can honestly say that this medication has saved my life. It hasn't been plain sailing. I've had periods when I felt so tired that I couldn't move, and I had the worst panic attacks and anxiety ever for the first couple of weeks. Hang in there! I purposely ensured that my dosages increased gradually (similar to the 'cranzac method'), so it's probably another 10-12 days before I get the full 20mg effect, so I am expecting even more side effects. But I feel indescribably better than before. A true wonder drug, if you can stick out the bad days."

Carrieb78 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac has been a miracle for my anxiety. My anxiety was always like a constant static in my head. This "static" has caused me to have social anxiety has well. On Prozac, I feel my anxiety (the static in my head) isn't holding me back anymore, I talk to people and I can finally be happy and free."

ddaannaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I'm currently taking Prozac (Fluoxetine) for severe generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic attacks. I only take 20mg a day and even though the first month left me with horrendous nausea and weight loss it subsided after about 25 days and now I find that my appetite as a whole has decreased slightly but the nausea has now subsided. My anxiety has improved so much to the point that I'm actually leaving the house for activities other than work and I'm having conversations with people I'd usually ignore because I'd feel so self conscious. I've actually had people (that don't know I suffer from anxiety or that I'm taking Prozac (fluoxetine)) comment on how well I look recently and how happy I appear within myself."

EL94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "For whatever reason I began to experience social anxiety and panic attacks,now when I think back,at least 2 years ago. But I didn't understand what was happening to me. At first I thought I simply developed a bad attitude toward people. My work started to be effected. I couldn't recall work procedures, I had problems putting my words together to speak, I would get extremely nervous in social settings, scared to ask questions, fear of everyone talking about me, sometimes I just didn't want to leave out my house. I was stressed over little issues, talking in my sleep, fatigue, sluggish, slow to respond. I can go on and on. I had been on Welbutrin daily and Xanax as needed. My doctor prescribed Prozac to me three days ago. It works !!!!I"

Noosie91 April 10, 2015

"I've been taking 90mg once a week for 6 weeks now. It has helped my depression and quality of life so much. Until this last week I have been having back to back anxiety/ panic attacks and I'm not sure what to do about it yet because of the benefits..... Does this go away? My chest hurts and I'm basically vibrating now every time it happens...."

LbUnforgettable March 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on this medicine for two weeks, i felt fine even a little happier, but for 3 days straight I went into a major depression, I have stopped taking it."

Kendall221 March 10, 2015