User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by V-R:

I have suffered from anxiety for about 20 yrs my doctor switched me to Prozac and I have to say I'm always been anxious but now I'm anxious AND depressed! What's the deal? It's been almost 3 mos and I'm taking it religiously, are there any long time users that can shed some light? Does it get better? I've had over 4 panic attacks since I've started this medication.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by usedtobesoanxious:

Great for me! Life changer. My day to day anxiety is pretty much gone. I take 40 mg every night. A bit more tired in the mornings making it harder to wake up. Decreased sex drive. Still take 2 to 3 mg of Xanax only when giving speeches and presentations to large groups (only when needed as Xanax can be dangerous).

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Rob C:

There are pros and cons with Prozac. The pros: helped me a lot with generalized anxiety and obsessive thinking. It's a cheap medicine. The cons: made some emotions that I wanted to experience, a bit numb. My Mum passed away last year, and it was difficult to grieve for her because I couldn't feel the full weight of the emotion. Also, if/when coming off Prozac, the withdrawal can be difficult if not managed properly.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by yournickname (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Not happy, not sad, just there. Actually not even there... Everything is kind of like a daze. But it feels alot better then being crazy stressed out all the time and freaking out over trivial things, just I don't feel like myself. But the good thing is I'm living in the moment instead of the past or worrying about the future.

June 11, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by amandamariee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been on Prozac for a little over a year for depression and anxiety. I'm on 20mg since I was 14. Personally I think it was too much for my system when I first started taking it. I was like an ADHD child. Couldn't calm down. Jumping around everywhere and could barely sleep at night. And with me being a 100lb 14 year old; my mother thought so too. Now that I'm 16, I think this medication isn't working for me anymore. I'm becoming more and more depressed and my anxiety level is at its highest. I keep having panic attacks also. Prozac was amazing for me up til now. But I do believe that my body has gotten used to this medication. I'm talking to my doctor soon as possible to maybe raise my dosage.

May 27, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Gc2466:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Did not have the best experience with this medication, but antidepressants and anxiety medications react differently for each person. For the 5 months that I was on Prozac, it improved my anxiety, but every time my dosage was changed, my depression got much worse and fluctuated greatly. It got so bad that I had to switch medications. Again, every medication reacts differently for everyone.

May 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by Evie dog (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been put on fluoxetine twice. On the second time of taking it I suffered with all the stated side effects as my body got used to it. Infact I got worse for about two weeks. I would urge anyone feeling like this in the first 2-3 weeks of taking it to stick with it! I haven't suffered with any major side effects since my body got used to it but one sticks out. My dreams have become VERY long and vivid and I can recall them most nights. I wonder if anybody else has experienced this? Anyway if it's new to you and your unsure - keep going!

May 22, 2014 2:56 AM

Review by Cyrnix (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Marvellous, restored my dignity, anxiety management and sleep.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 1:50 PM

Review by wickedsmile:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Ok this is my third review in just less than a year. Here are the pros: weight loss (16 pounds lost), eliminated my anxiety issues, no more Klonopin, very calm, cool and collected attitude, improved vision and I feel great! I can give presentations in front of many people without hesitation or anxiety buildup. Now for the cons: Be careful drinking alcohol after taking your daily dose. I have experienced severe impairment after just a few drinks that I normally handle with ease. Usually it happens if I forget to take my dose in the morning and take it after work instead. If I don't give it time to metabolize in my system and drink on it, 2 beers can feel like 6. Be mindful of that and do not operate machinery/cars.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Vectron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Hi been on Prozac after 5 years on Cipralex, feel better than ever and my weight has started to come down!

May 13, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by GADGuy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking this for approximately 6 years. Started with 10mg, then 20mg, then 40mg... I'm at a point where I know it helps me but the side effects are increasing and I'm not sure if I should lower dosage or up it. I also take Xanax up to three times a day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Crayonsnglu (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I was told that anti-anxiety meds take a while to kick in but I feel like this one has kicked in sooner than I thought it would. I only take 20mg for anxiety and overall I have started to feel a lot more positive and less stressed out about things I usually stress out about. I haven't noticed any side effects besides my stomach feeling a little off the first week and lately I have not been as hungry as I usually am and get full alot faster....but I wake up in the morning starving. Weird but no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything! I hope I can continue to take this medicine because it does seem to keep me "level" with my emotions.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by awall83:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

April 3, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by EricaLikesCalculus:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM

Review by 30 years depressed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): You have to give this medicine time to work. At first it made me very anxious and nauseated. Started with 20 mg. after a month the anxiety came back so my doctor upped it to 40 mg.. More nausea and anxiety (Xanax helped this transition), but now, after about 13 weeks, I feel great. I just had a very challenging 10 hours at work and feel like a million bucks. It helped me get my gratitude back. No longer grumpy and ill willed. It made me realize how deep my depression was and how long it had been since I'd been normal-feeling: 30 years. Sleep and exercise are key. If you think you have sleep apnea, get a doctors diagnosis. If you don't exercise, get walking. These are key things that make antidepressants more effective.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 8:49 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I posted my initial experience with Prozac a few months back and it still is working great! I have lost a few pounds, still eat much less than before and my anxiety is all but gone. I no longer need Klonopin-I was taking about 5 of those a week prior to Prozac. I am on a low dosage and have not needed to adjust up or down. Bottom line-my anxiety is under control and I feel great-without any side effects.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by Thankful Tbird:

I have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for the past 4 months. My life has been transformed & most days I now wake up grateful! Thankful for the people that supported me, for God's help, strength and medication! I went through big life events over the past 2 years and the balls just kept dropping. My main problem was anxiety & not being able to get through these big issues. This lead to depression and finally I couldn't see a way out anymore. The first 3 wks I had bad side effects. NOW I can say: My relationships has improved, I find it easier to not over analyze, I enjoy my own company, my work performance is better and I ENJOY LIFE. Push through.

February 3, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by lirpa13:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by Markmck:

I have been on Fluoxetine about 7 weeks now, and I am really starting to see improvements. Before I started taking the medicine I had been affected by a painful breakup and had what could only be described as radio noise/chatter in my head, that's nearly all but gone, my appetite is back, I have interest in things again, my family said I'm happier, everything is getting easier to cope with. I have my life back. The first few weeks were difficult but stick with it. I took great comfort from the experiences of others and that I am not alone. You are not alone and we are all in the same boat and taking the first step to getting better is not easy, but I hope that people can take some comfort from my personal experience.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 8:11 PM

Review by h180:

I have anxiety and emetaphobia along with symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. I was so scared to take Prozac, especially as it seemed that everything I read about it was negative. I am so glad that I found this website, as reading more positive and balanced reviews really helped me to decide to take it and I am so glad I did. I was lucky to have next to no side effects, I felt tired and a little emotionless for a while but that soon passed. It has helped to bring down my anxiety levels a lot and while it is not a miracle cure I feel like myself again, which is really great compared to how I had felt. I feel more balanced emotionally and focused.

December 7, 2013 4:03 PM