User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Been on this for a few weeks now and I feel no better than I did before I started taking this.. Gained weight and getting severe migraines.."

Suicidalangel May 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "It didn't work, I was up to 40mg daily and felt literally nothing. Ever since I had my son I have had panic attacks and bad anxiety so I went to the doctor and was prescribed Prozac. I was so disappointed. I almost feel more depressed now."

MadisonR May 17, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was put on prozac 5 years ago to help with severe premenapausal symtoms (ie: anxiety, night sweats, Hot flashes, depression, lack of concentration, ).I was amazed how good it felt and how much it helped with all these symptoms. The extra bonus was I was much happier, relaxed and more social than I had been ever before. The serotonin was a miracle drug. I take 20 mg 3 times a day and if I miss more than 4 days all my symtoms as well as depression kick in. I'm 51 and it's been a life savor for me."

Etphonehome777 May 4, 2016

"I've only just started taking fluoxetine but I wanted to comment that I have no side effects. I have tried Zoloft and with those side effects I thought I was going to die. I was so scared to try something new but no side effects for me."

Greenaspen22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was prescribed 10mg of this medication for the first month and felt okay, but I still had my bad days. On my 6th week, my doc upped my prescription to 20 mg, and in the week I was on that dosage, my anxiety was through the roof. I went back to my doctor with my symptoms and he put me back down to 10mg with the intent of weening me off of it. Plus, this makes you kind of emotionless, like a zombie. Even on my good days where I wasn't anxious, I just didn't have the motivation to do anything. I really don't recommend this to anyone. But if it helps you, that's good."

CJBrill (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"Only last few months been on fluoxetine and started on 20mg and then increased to 40mg a life saver. Tried citalopram before and this made me feel heavy headed and a little lack of energy. Got my life back and think I did the right thing and wont be coming off this for a while. People say if you break your leg or your body needs a operation you would go for it. If you need to take a SSR for a while, do it to get your life back on a even keel."

purplebluebell (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been off and on the prozac for over a year now. Keep reading stuff on the internet about its side effects, then flush them down the drain. But then I get back on the medicine. I can say that I feel its effects after just one dose, it feels like a pretty strong drug and I'm only on 10mg. Don't drink too much caffeine on prozac! I've had the worst anxiety attacks if I drink an energy drink after taking my dose of prozac. It does help me get stuff done and stay motivated and I guess it helps with general anxiety as well. It does kind of make me impulsive though but I'm learning to make better decisions while on the medicine. I think it helps over all and I will continue to stay on it for the foreseeable future."

greenberg333 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

"I avoided taking these drugs for 7 months. I really hoped I could fix my anxiety and constant stress by myself, I tried everything from herbal relaxation tea to meditation and talking to the best psychologist. I wish I had tried prozac (20mg) earlier, because it has helped me get rid of the anxiety. I feel energetic and happy again. I didnt gain any weight just felt a little nauseous in the first week."

Roza889 April 17, 2016

"Started this med with serious apprehension due to bad side effects of other SSRI drugs, but WOW! What a difference. It takes nearly two months for things to balance out but I feel like my self again. Euthymic (normal non-depressed, reasonably positive mood) with in a normal range and anxiety at a normal level. I have done two job interviews and started a new job with no panic attacks. Please remember that medication is only one part of recovery. I have practice mindfulness daily as well as see a counsellor to tackle the route of my problems but this medication has allowed me to function again..........happy"

Dragonballs April 8, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Started more as supplement to wellbutrin. But I got more from this so I quit wellbutrin and take this at 20mg. feel great. Calm and clear. Focused and motivated. Side effects were mild...vivid dreams and absolutely zero appetite. Eat lunch and thats it. Not hungry the rest of the day. Great for motivation and clarity."

Bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This drug saved my life. It did not work for the first month and a half but when it did! Amazing results! No anxiety! And I suffered from panic attacks 24/7. Not saying this drug alone will fix all your problems but it helped me so so much! Gave me my excitement for life back"

Sara27373628 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on prozac for a few years now. I stopped taking it in mid December just restarted today anxiety and stress are tuff to deal with let alone with out this medicine."

OAR February 22, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on fluoxetine 20mg for six months. It took about 8 weeks to notice any positive mood changes. After a few weeks of starting it I began to feel like I was living in a fog and had a difficult time concentrating but that eventually went away and turned into optimism and feeling great. Please give it a couple of months to work. It takes time to kick in. After 8 weeks I felt good and happy for a while but recently have relapsed into anxiety and depression again. My MD has now upped my dosage to 40mg. I am hopeful I will get the happiness and optimism back again soon from the higher dose."

darksideofthemoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

"Well where do I start. I went from Sertraline to fluroxetine, as I went through an episode of depression and felt that my body may have become immune to Sertraline after been on it for 5 years. I started on 20mg. My anxiety went through the roof. But my depression improved slightly after a few months. However I became emotionally numb. (I am normally a very sensitive, caring person,) And found it even hard to cry or have empathy in my relationship. My depression increased so I was out on 40mg , and although my mood lifted, my anxiety increased and I suffered panic attacks. Since withdrawing I find I have a lot of social phobia, however it is so good to be really able to feel emotions again that have been trapped for a year and a half."

Mollymolloy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

"I have been taking fluoxetine 20mg for 15 days now . I suffer night anxiety attacks and panic to the point were I knew I had to do something about it as it was ruining my life. I was in a car crash which initially set off the night anxiety. The medication has helped me tremendously. I have always been very sceptical about antidepressants and felt I could manage my anxiety myself and refused medication in the past. It caused me to lose a bit of weight and heightened my anxiety for a few days and nights but it became more bearable . I do get the odd nights when I feel it creeping back but I'm able to relax and breath it away, which I could never do before - I would just have full on anxiety. So good luck to all who try this medication."

annieboo (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Taken for 9 days now. I take this with 1mg Ativan 2x daily as needed. First few days I was tired, had a couple weepy moments, and nausea/full feeling that made me not want to eat. Day 6 I had a bout of insomnia so I'm slowly moving the time I take my meds from the evening to afternoon, then the morning. No real insomnia since - just more of a hard time going back to sleep after waking (back to sleep within 20 mins). I've noticed I'm perkier and friendlier when I talk with people, just can feel some tiredness behind my eyes in the morning usually until the afternoon. I noticed I haven't experienced as many body aches I get from my anxiety as I have in the past. I'm hoping these are all good signs this medication is doing the trick for me."

DawnBreeze (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

"I've tried Effexor, buspirone, and lexapro with no change in how I felt. I started taking Prozac last night and can already feel an amazing difference. I'm happy. I have energy... I actually WANT to participate in things. I'll update more once I'm on the medication longer, but so far I feel great."

Mercelída January 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

"This pill worked for me. I experienced tremendous weight loss. 216lbs to 204 in a month without trying. Happy every day. I can tell when the pill wears off because I get stressed. Pop a pill and 20 minutes later I can cope again. I have energy galore and I'm motivated to do everything. Total change from the depressed me. I feel like I'm myself again. A better me. No side effects except excess energy. I have a harder time falling asleep because my mind races with things I can accomplish or work on."

Aaron C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have taken prozac for one year and three months. It has helped me a lot. Right now I am weaning myself off of this drug slowly, but lately I have felt mild anxiety due to no sleeping. And also mild stomach problems. I'm not sure if its part of the withdrawal process."

chela31 December 12, 2015

"I am 18 years old and I am on this 40mg a day, I faint a lot at school and only at school. It took a while for the doctors to give me this. I have been on it for more than a year now and it does help sadly I haven't stop fainting but I use to go 8 times a day now I only go about 1 or 3 so I am glad this has helped me."

unknow December 11, 2015