User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by joey777:

Prozac has really helped me a lot. I was having all kinds of anxiety thoughts and having stomach pain caused my anxiety. I had a eye twitch for about a month that went away. I highly recommend this or Lexapro for anxiety!

August 27, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by prozac patty:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac took my worries away. That is all I wanted. I wasn't depressed. I used to wake up at night having bad dreams and worries that went over and over in my head. I couldn't sleep. After beginning Prozac that all stopped. It did unfortunately give me an "I don't care" attitude about what other people thought of me. My sister complained about that with me and said i was difficult to talk to. So I stopped taking it (gradually). Now I wake up every night again with terrible anxiety thoughts and dreams (mostly about things that are happening in my life). I haven't heard anyone talking about this. Any comments?

August 26, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by angelolanding (taken for less than 1 month):

I have recently been diagnosed with stage l cancer (luckily it was caught early) but none the less it isn't great news. After surgery my doc described to me what to watch out for. Well ultimately I must have had a panic attack and went to the ER with intense chest pains. My doc prescribed Prozac I have only taken it once and got a headache plus I was feeling a little self conscience about it. But after reading some of the reviews I will go ahead and continue with the treatment. Because now when I start feeling stressed those intense chest pains come back.

August 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Bradstreetbassler (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): This medication works great for anxiety stress and panic attacks, so glad.

August 16, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Cateliza:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Today is only my first day, and I have to say I got really angry with something that happened at work and normally I can shrug this off, but it's like I couldn't control it, and was super quite that morning then through the day I felt better. I've had headaches and bad diarrhea. The headache happened before the medicine so I'm not sure it's related and very slight nausea. I'll blog again once a little more time has passed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Cloe w (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

After the birth of my son, I was left with post natal depression under the guise of constant severe anxiety and as many as 20 panic attacks a day leaving me house bound and useless. After 2 years of battling on I realized it was time to see a doctor. I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine once a day. After reason side effects and online reviews I was terrified to say the least! Never the less after a few weeks of extreme tiredness and weight loss (which was actually a Benefit) I am now able to say PROZAC SAVED MY LIFE. I am back to my normal self with very few side effects, and I have never felt better. I am also undergoing CBT in order to be able to come off the tablets and still be anxiety free but I cannot thank fluoxetine enough!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I took prozac several years ago, and it worked a little bit for a while. Often, though, it made me feel really lethargic, sleepy, and extremely apathetic to most things. It sort of did it's job, but not well enough, as I have now switched to something that works better.

July 31, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by V-R:

I have suffered from anxiety for about 20 yrs my doctor switched me to Prozac and I have to say I'm always been anxious but now I'm anxious AND depressed! What's the deal? It's been almost 3 mos and I'm taking it religiously, are there any long time users that can shed some light? Does it get better? I've had over 4 panic attacks since I've started this medication.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by usedtobesoanxious:

Great for me! Life changer. My day to day anxiety is pretty much gone. I take 40 mg every night. A bit more tired in the mornings making it harder to wake up. Decreased sex drive. Still take 2 to 3 mg of Xanax only when giving speeches and presentations to large groups (only when needed as Xanax can be dangerous).

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Rob C:

There are pros and cons with Prozac. The pros: helped me a lot with generalized anxiety and obsessive thinking. It's a cheap medicine. The cons: made some emotions that I wanted to experience, a bit numb. My Mum passed away last year, and it was difficult to grieve for her because I couldn't feel the full weight of the emotion. Also, if/when coming off Prozac, the withdrawal can be difficult if not managed properly.

June 12, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by yournickname (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Not happy, not sad, just there. Actually not even there... Everything is kind of like a daze. But it feels alot better then being crazy stressed out all the time and freaking out over trivial things, just I don't feel like myself. But the good thing is I'm living in the moment instead of the past or worrying about the future.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by amandamariee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I've been on Prozac for a little over a year for depression and anxiety. I'm on 20mg since I was 14. Personally I think it was too much for my system when I first started taking it. I was like an ADHD child. Couldn't calm down. Jumping around everywhere and could barely sleep at night. And with me being a 100lb 14 year old; my mother thought so too. Now that I'm 16, I think this medication isn't working for me anymore. I'm becoming more and more depressed and my anxiety level is at its highest. I keep having panic attacks also. Prozac was amazing for me up til now. But I do believe that my body has gotten used to this medication. I'm talking to my doctor soon as possible to maybe raise my dosage.

May 27, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Gc2466:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Did not have the best experience with this medication, but antidepressants and anxiety medications react differently for each person. For the 5 months that I was on Prozac, it improved my anxiety, but every time my dosage was changed, my depression got much worse and fluctuated greatly. It got so bad that I had to switch medications. Again, every medication reacts differently for everyone.

May 22, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by Evie dog (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been put on fluoxetine twice. On the second time of taking it I suffered with all the stated side effects as my body got used to it. Infact I got worse for about two weeks. I would urge anyone feeling like this in the first 2-3 weeks of taking it to stick with it! I haven't suffered with any major side effects since my body got used to it but one sticks out. My dreams have become VERY long and vivid and I can recall them most nights. I wonder if anybody else has experienced this? Anyway if it's new to you and your unsure - keep going!

May 22, 2014 2:56 AM

Review by Cyrnix (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Marvellous, restored my dignity, anxiety management and sleep.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 1:50 PM

Review by wickedsmile:

Prozac (fluoxetine): Ok this is my third review in just less than a year. Here are the pros: weight loss (16 pounds lost), eliminated my anxiety issues, no more Klonopin, very calm, cool and collected attitude, improved vision and I feel great! I can give presentations in front of many people without hesitation or anxiety buildup. Now for the cons: Be careful drinking alcohol after taking your daily dose. I have experienced severe impairment after just a few drinks that I normally handle with ease. Usually it happens if I forget to take my dose in the morning and take it after work instead. If I don't give it time to metabolize in my system and drink on it, 2 beers can feel like 6. Be mindful of that and do not operate machinery/cars.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Vectron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Hi been on Prozac after 5 years on Cipralex, feel better than ever and my weight has started to come down!

May 13, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by GADGuy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking this for approximately 6 years. Started with 10mg, then 20mg, then 40mg... I'm at a point where I know it helps me but the side effects are increasing and I'm not sure if I should lower dosage or up it. I also take Xanax up to three times a day.

May 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Crayonsnglu (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): I was told that anti-anxiety meds take a while to kick in but I feel like this one has kicked in sooner than I thought it would. I only take 20mg for anxiety and overall I have started to feel a lot more positive and less stressed out about things I usually stress out about. I haven't noticed any side effects besides my stomach feeling a little off the first week and lately I have not been as hungry as I usually am and get full alot faster....but I wake up in the morning starving. Weird but no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything! I hope I can continue to take this medicine because it does seem to keep me "level" with my emotions.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by awall83:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

April 3, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by EricaLikesCalculus:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine): This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine): Prozac worked Well for me with No serious complications or bad side affects. A plus for me,was very good memory! I used this medication for over 20 years and wish I was still able to use it. The only problem I did have with Prozac was at the end of 20 years, I started getting terrible, horrible, headaches. So bad that I would cry! I no longer can take any SSRI's and or any benzodiazepines. I think maybe after so many years your body isn't able to tolerate it. I began having severe breathing problems! I'm now on the trial & error time again, which most of us know that it isn't fun. Good luck to everyone.

March 6, 2014 1:46 AM