User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

Prozac (fluoxetine): "In about 1996 I started Prozac for 13 years and then it stopped working, I was on 2 different meds since then but the last one caused excessive body sweating to the point where I could not work as I work with the public. I just went back on Prozac 3 days ago and I already feel so calm and rational. When I was on it for those 13 years my doctor said I was the poster child for Prozac as I had no symptoms. So far I do not have any. I love Prozac."

RemiB January 29, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

"I've tried Effexor, buspirone, and lexapro with no change in how I felt. I started taking Prozac last night and can already feel an amazing difference. I'm happy. I have energy... I actually WANT to participate in things. I'll update more once I'm on the medication longer, but so far I feel great."

Mercelída January 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

"This pill worked for me. I experienced tremendous weight loss. 216lbs to 204 in a month without trying. Happy every day. I can tell when the pill wears off because I get stressed. Pop a pill and 20 minutes later I can cope again. I have energy galore and I'm motivated to do everything. Total change from the depressed me. I feel like I'm myself again. A better me. No side effects except excess energy. I have a harder time falling asleep because my mind races with things I can accomplish or work on."

Aaron C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have taken prozac for one year and three months. It has helped me a lot. Right now I am weaning myself off of this drug slowly, but lately I have felt mild anxiety due to no sleeping. And also mild stomach problems. I'm not sure if its part of the withdrawal process."

chela31 December 12, 2015

"I am 18 years old and I am on this 40mg a day, I faint a lot at school and only at school. It took a while for the doctors to give me this. I have been on it for more than a year now and it does help sadly I haven't stop fainting but I use to go 8 times a day now I only go about 1 or 3 so I am glad this has helped me."

unknow December 11, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I started on 20 mg and increased to 40 mg for anxiety and depression. I cannot praise this drug enough for how calm it makes me feel. I feel like I can handle any problem, big or small with a clear head. Thank you Prozac for giving my life back to me."

TracyinOhio December 8, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been on and off Prozac for the last few years. I didn't think it was working, but after I started taking mental notes, I realized that I was doing much better on it. I have been dealing with chronic anxiety and PTSD which has, in turn, led me into depression. Based on my experience, I think it's important to note that depression lifting is not like flipping a switch. It takes time for the medicine to work. Now that I've been taking it routinely and not missing a dose, I've noticed that my "baseline" mood is MUCH better. It happens subtly like a thick fog slowly lifting. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but if you're not having side effects and you've only been on it for a short time, be patient and give it a chance."

CBEARS December 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "hi everyone, I went on Prozac about a year ago after I saw how well it helped my boyfriend. We met two years ago and I knew he was suffering but didn't know from what. He and I were soon diagnosed with OCD. I was so weary of taking any meds and especially any that said "weight gain as a side effect" because of my obsessive compulsive behavior with my appearance. one day my bf said its okay if you gain a couple if anything you need too said in the nicest way. So I finally gave in and started at 10 mg I later went up to 20 mg and I noticed I didn't seem to be beating myself up everyday maybe only every few days. I didn't gain any weight and it even helped with my binge eating disorder. it also helped my more "intense" feelings to "normal"."

berfella (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been taking this for almost 2 years now and I'd say it has helped me tremendously. I was on a few others before this and it just didn't work out."

Geekdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was on Prozac for one month...I even considered suicide. I was going crazy..terrible feelings....never again..I'm on Celexa now and it's helping a lot."

Intellbrat (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I just started taking prozac, and I have had this terrible migraine. Its worse than any migraine I have ever had. I've been throwing up and sleeping throughout the day. I don't feel myself at all."

Sammi1996 October 28, 2015

"have been on it,for over 10 years,and have taken 60 mgs every morning,its been a life saver for me."

rogr (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2015

"The first three weeks at 20 mg was tempestuous at best, however I truly felt as if I was turning the corner so to speak. I suffer from somatic anxiety more then the mental part of it. Fatigue, and headaches were common. Sleep disturbances also. I had some great half days. After increasing the meds to 40 mg a day for two months, I decided to drop back down to 20 mgs. I lost a fair bit of weight the first 6 weeks, around 6 kilos, however after 3 months I've put it back on and then some. Will be discussing other options with my Docter soon. I would also say that anxiety or manic episodes were increased during the dosage increase, which was treated with Clonazapam."

Hard Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "20mg a day changed my life. Head pain due to stress and anxiety is gone when taking this tablet and also OCD in the form of dermatillomania (finger) completely better. I had this for about 3 years and decided to stop, the weening off was very tough, I had a good month or two of hit sweats/shakiness and agitation. However I went completely back to normal for over 2 years after that. I have now restarted Fluoxetine/prozac due to having a very stressful year and struggling to get by day to day. 1st pill and I am mellow as a mellow thing once again, goodbye stresses!"

Chlobo1991UK October 20, 2015

"Took it for about five days and haven't been able to eat or sleep. Had pain in my chest so I stopped taking it this morning and I've had an extremely high heart rate all day. Doctors were worried but the ECG looked ok they said. I still had racing thoughts and anxiety, Just didn't work for me."

Dustin R October 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I was only on this medicine for one month. It was too strong for me. My anxiety and depression went away completely, but I also didn't care about anything. I completely lacked motivation and would sometimes just lay around doing absolutely nothing. I didn't even have much interest in eating. I also became antisocial and didn't want to leave the house, even to walk the dog, because I didn't want my neighbors to see me or talk to me. It was the weirdest experience. It's like I barely existed that whole month."

Rmuffin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "The drug works very good for depression and anxiety. It also completely eliminates my headaches. I was a chronic headache sufferer for years and ever since I started taking Prozac I almost never have a headache. I think this drug should be studied more as a medication to treat chronic headaches as it increases Serotonin in the brain and Serotonin is a major factor in headache issues."

Bill Silvers October 8, 2015

"I suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks especially on motorways, were the palms of my hands would sweat. I would worry in advance of a journey of certain parts of the road especially flyovers as that triggered a element of vertigo. I%u2019ve been on these tablets for 6 months now. I started with Citalopram, which gave me heart palpitations, so my doctor started me off with 20MG and recently increased to 40MG as if had plateaued and saw no additional benefit of being on 20MG There is no doubt about it that this medication has helped me, I am less lethargic, more alert and my driving has certainly improved. Not yet back on motorways but will plan to phase back slowly on to wider roads. It was the driving that triggered my nervous disposition"

MAK-1966 October 8, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had been on Prozac for three years and gone through a lot of hard times. It helped when I was splitting from my ex, Lost a job, got into some legal trouble, lost my license, and had to move back home. After getting back on my feet again and getting my license and a job I decided to ween off of it...bad idea..I became more and more stressed out and had very bad stomach issues that I never had before. After about three months off 40mg a day I had a huge panic attack and days of not eating or sleeping. I have since gone back on 20 mg and hope it starts to work soon. I should have never gone off this medication it saved my life once and I hope to have the same results again. I was happy, able to take things much better and be myself."

hopefully soon (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Third week on prozac and I feel great. My mind is clear, I am able to focus on today and not obsess over the future, it's amazing. The first week I started on 10mg then the second at 20mg. Only side effects I had were insomnia and nausea for the first week. Still, definitely worth it for me :) I am finally present and not stuck in my mind."

Lola19 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I wouldn't give Prozac anything greater than a 1. Mainly for the fact that I have been on this now for 1 month 20 mg daily; Increased my terrible moods followed by anxiety attacks, I have become an insomniac, my pulse has increased terribly, and my appetite is zero. Without the back up "Xanax" I would still be at square 1. I occasionally drink to get drunk, but have been recently informed that this drug mixed with alcohol has a severe risk of suicide. I was not depressed before I was referred to this medicine, but now I feel that it is becoming worse. Am I miss diagnosed?"

a pill 4 this & a pill 4 that (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015