User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Fluoxetine to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I thought it was just me. Me not being strong enough to just "deal with it". No one understood me. I would obsess over my health, death, relationships to a point where I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't stop freaking out. Then I had my first anxiety attack. My heart was racing and I felt like I was going to die. No one knows that feeling unless you're like me ... anxiety/panic attack. I had no idea what it was and I rushed over to my parents (NOT RECOMMENDED). I remembered nothing. I woke up the next day feeling drained. A week went by and it happened again. I decided I needed help. Prozac was discussed as a long term treatment and I've gained my life back. I'm happy. Which I haven't been in such a long time. Just happy."

9871jkkajfldkjf August 23, 2015

"I was cautious starting any type of medication when first diagnosed with clinical depression. I cannot express to you how thankful I am to have been prescribed fluoxetine. For the first time in years I can think clearly without anxious negative repetitive thoughts coursing through my head. I feel energized and look forward to my day. Yes there are times I still feel low, but I am able to see that the feeling is temporary. I know I can get through it. Fluoxetine saved my life."

Ekrpcincinnati (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "This medication has turned my life completely around in about a months time. First week just felt weird and confused. Had bad diarrhea... Week two confused and not sure if I wanted to keep taking in. By week three something started to really change. Had side effects still but they were decreasing. Started feeling WAY calmer and rational, my children spend more time around me instead of hiding from me and I am cleaning and organizing things around my home that have been sitting around for six months or more. I am becoming a functional person again now for the first time in a REALLY long time. My advice, please stick with it if you can for a minimum of four to six weeks. It might just turn out to be the best thing you ever did."

Anonymous August 20, 2015

"Had anxiety ever sense I can remember. Mostly manageable with out medication. In may I had a panic attack at work and decided to start fluoxetine again. I experience alot of physical symptoms that go with anixty so I wanted to get control of it. The 1st and second week were ok. Just a hit jittery but the 3rd and 4th week were awful!! Bizarre dreams, sweats, uncontrollable shaking and so.much crying and sick feeling. I also notice a very tight throat which is something I hadnt had before. Eventually one Friday evening all the panic from the last horrid 2weeks stopped! Then I have been.on the up ever since. I have been told that you experience a low before u get the high. Just got to ride it out! Still have very minor anxity sometimes"

Lyndie.nz August 18, 2015

"Only going into week four, however. .. I have left my house more in the past ten days than I have in the past several months. Starting to clean the house, to the amazement of my family, lol. Also amazing how much better the children and husband respond when I'm not biting their heads off every time they approach. First week. . .. just plain felt weird, kind of emotionless or with increased anxiety. Second week almost the same, almost decided to quit taking it. After two weeks of obsessing and reading probably every review in existence online of fluoxetine I decided I was going to stick it out for a minimum of six weeks. Boy. .. am I glad I did. I haven't functioned this well for about fifteen years."

Lookingforwardnow (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"I found this medication a bit difficult at first, but my doctor told me it takes 1-4 weeks for the body to adjust to this, so I held out. Am now on 80mg, and each increase took a few weeks to get used to. To anybody trying this medication and reading these reviews, make sure the reviewer stayed on it for over 28 days before posting, because after three weeks, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have energy, and motivation. I don't struggle to get out of bed. It's not hard to do my laundry - I just do it. It's great!"

Pastafarian Alpaca Queen August 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Started of on 10 mg for anxiety and depression, didn't feel any different but felt irritated and snappy at everyone. Nurse practitioner just bumped me up to 20 mg and I feel better and it's only been week! Hopefully this will take the edge off so I can more enjoyable to be around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took this medicine for 7 days lost my appetite the 3rd day, worsen my insomnia, it did not help with anxiety. By the 7th day I felt even worst finally decide to come off it. This is my second day off Prozac and I still cannot eat, sleep still have bad anxiety and feeling sick to my stomach and cannot eat anything, I'm extremely nauseated, haven't ate much in 4-5 days. I hope my appetite comes back soon! This med did not work for me it made me feel horrible."

Summerly August 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Started with 20mg then after around 45 days increased to 40. Dry mouth, fatigue, lightheadeness, increased anxiety, headaches, were common at first, however in time slowly decreased. I now have good day time energy, I'm sleeping well at night. Confidence level is becoming stronger. I pray the next few weeks at 40 mg takes me to were I want to be. So far, so good!"

Hard Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I took Lexapro for a little over a year and it worked beautifully. The only reason I weaned off was because of weight gain. My Doctor prescribed 10mg of Prozac and said it should not cause any weight gain. I am on it 17 days now and my only side effect is slight anxiety and a few panic attacks. I had none of this on Lexapro. My question is, should I hand in there and when will I feel good?"

Soozieque July 13, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I've been taking Prozac since I was thirteen years old or so. I'm sixteen now, and I'm worried that if I ever stop, I'll get bad again. I have severe anxiety and had depression. The depression has gone away, but the anxiety has worsened. Not from this medication, but I believe I need a larger dose. Anyways, this drug has helped me and made me feel like it can get better. Knowing the chemistry in my brain is really helpful too, to know that serotonin is being released. I would recommend for severe depression, but not anxiety unless at a larger dose. I'm on 40mg now, but took 20mg up until a month ago."

Anon173810 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have been on prozac 10mg for 6 days and no change. When will I feel better?"

olegsmummy July 4, 2015

"Prozac completely changed my personality to worse. I was a worrying, anxious person and after 3 months of prozac I stopped caring about anything, starting having agressive bouts of being irritable, and also killed my libido. Regret having taken this. Therapy is the answer for me and I am sure for maaaaaaany people who take this medicine."

Annonimuss (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"Suffered from anxiety for many years mostly social anxiety that resulted in panic attacks. Tried therapy, breathing techniques, relaxing workouts, eating healthy. I really wanted to avoid medication at all costs. I was repeatedly missing work due to the fatigue of stress and decided to take my doctors advice. At this time my immune system was poor, my skin was horrible, and my whole body ached. I started Prozac 20mg once a day and have been taking it for 60 days. I did not have any bad reactions or nausea. My mood is significantly better, my skin is better, I am performing well at work, I feel happy to communicate with others and I do not have panic attacks anymore (a daily happening before). I feel so much better!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I love this medication. Im 16 and had major anxiety. I used to not wanna be around people at all. I hated so many things. Now that I'm taking the medicine I realized I also had depression. I'm a whole other person. I'm so happy and my anxiety has lessened greatly."

Musiclover101 June 29, 2015

"It killed my libido and made me emotionally numb. Still waiting for my libido to come back 2 months after discontinuing. It lessened my anxiety though, but the side effects are not worth it. I regret having taken this drug."

Bongopongo June 26, 2015

"My experience with taking fluoxetine 40 mg has been great! My doctors tried several antidepressants. I must say I feel like a new person being on Fluoxetine I was so stressed out from working in a hostile environment and going through a menopause all at the same time. The problems became so intense my doctor literally had to take me off my job. I was having severe depression, anxiety, and panic attacks that was out of control. I was put me on the medication in January 2015. I have lost 29 lbs of stress weight that I had been carrying for quite sometime. I truly thank God for having a great set of doctors. Best."

SanW June 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Took this as I was having bad anxiety and insomnia, waking up early constantly with that uncomfortable tight chest feeling and just having no energy. Seemed to work for the first 3 days, then I got really depressed. I started at 5mg and went up 5mg a week til I hit 20mg. I have been super depressed, more anxious, was extremely nauseous and could barely eat for almost 2 weeks, and my sleep hasn't improved at all. After almost 4 weeks on this stuff, I am a mess and don't feel like myself at all. Weening off and trying something else. I got up to 15mg. Tried to get to 20 but just felt too horrible."

Brett84 June 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I have battled anxiety for years. I have a supportive family, a loving husband and child, and could not understand why I wanted to sleep or cry the days away, the months away, the years away..... My breaking point was my family was struggling to comprehend why I did not want to do anything we loved anymore or be active in our daily life. It hit me hard I could not walk into a room of people without going into a panic. Prozac is the 3rd medicine I tried. I feel like a million dollars now. I am me again. I was on 10mg for 1 month and now 20mg a day. I'm crying as I write this because anxiety is real. It effected everything in my life. But not anymore. My fear and panic are gone. I can run circles around my loved ones! It's great."

guest85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Prozac helped a lot with my depression and anxiety. It helped me be more calm... The only things I don't really like is the loss of appetite and recently I have been drowsy. I sometimes feel jittery. I've been taking it for less than a month but have seen a difference."

purplebear June 2, 2015

"In mid June I will have been on Prozac for a year. It helps me think before I act but I think that It makes me overthink, which can be good or bad. I noticed I'm really irritable and extremely tired no matter how much I sleep. This doesn't help me 100% but I have been controlling myself better. I am not myself. This grouchy, lazy, overreacting person is not me. I go through the school day and then I have no more motivation. I'm just going through the motions."

AleaD5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 28, 2015

"I love this medication. Been on it for a year for OCD and anxiety disorder. It makes me a normal person. Don't have nearly as many panic attacks and OCD is under control. I have lost weight on it cause I feel so good about myself. I enjoy doing activities again. Recommend for anyone who has anxiety disorders. Also,blood pressure has gone down."

Jayce84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2015

"Started 6th of May so hasn't been long. Suffered severe Post-Natal Depression with youngest child 9 years ago, got over that and have been fine up until recently. I had a miscarriage over Christmas and over the months following found myself getting very low again but most of all noticed the anxiety, hypochondria and irritation. Doctor put me 20mg Fluoxetine a day and seems to be good so far. Definately less anxiety but also definately lack of energy and I have tiredness. No matter how much sleep I get I feel like a Zombie in the morning and yawn a lot until I have some coffee. My sense of humour, libido and appetite have decreased but I am putting that down to 'can't be bothered' feeling. Sticking with it for now. Gives hangover from hell too!!!"

DottyUnicorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "I had my 2nd baby 5 months ago and was having postpartum depression symptoms that turned into extreme anxiety. I was always irritated and very short tempered. My 8 year old had to hear me screaming and fighting with my husband and I felt so bad for her. I finally made it to the doctor and was prescribed prozac. It is literally saving my life!! I feel happier and less stressed. I don't know if it's making me tired since I have an infant and I'm tired anyway. Although it's been a short time that I'm taking it, I definitely feel the difference!"

Elated27 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine): "Great for anxiety. I find that I like life a lot more - I like people more. Finally got off Klonopan, which I couldn't live without. The problem is major lethargy. I've tried taking it morning and night, but the tiredness is still there. I'm hoping that goes away with time. I have been on it for 5 weeks."

Anonymous May 17, 2015