User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

6.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 400 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by MovieLvr (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I took 20mg Prozac from age 16 to 27 to make sure my anxiety and depression didn't interfere with being successful in high school and college. The 20mg completely got rid of my anxiety and depression. This dose, however, was too stimulating causing loopiness, decreased concentration in conversations, hyperactivity, and extended laughing spells over silly things. This dose also made it very difficult to orgasm and numbed up my emotions where it was difficult to feel whether I was in love with someone or not when dating. I did not realize these side effects until I finally got off Prozac at age 27, could feel my emotions, and discover my true personality off meds. Orgasms great now.

August 28, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by Smi19: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I'm a 20 year old female. I was prescribed Prozac 6 months ago. For the first few weeks I felt great, everything seemed better. After 1 month I became even more depressed, my period was very heavy and lasted weeks at a time. I had disturbing nightmares everything, developed restless legs syndrome, and started grinding my teeth. I was tired constantly and ended up in hospital due to suicidal thoughts. I am now on citalopram and things have never been better.

August 18, 2013 1:13 PM
Review by Benefited: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I started taking fluoxetine after running through a lot of SSRIs. My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder was so severe it was debilitating. I tried Zoloft and Seroquel as well as, Luvox and Anafranil (Anafranil awful side effects). After taking 300 mg of Zoloft and just not feeling right I went to my doctor and we switched to fluoxetine. I WAS 100 PERCENT better in 5 days. This saved my life. However, please be patient it may take some trial and error to find the right medicine for you. Don't give up, keep at it.

August 18, 2013 9:51 AM
Review by venus8i8 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: In 1990 (age 45) I had a nervous breakdown. I did a lot of strange things and ended up in a mental ward. Because of medication I was taking I developed a problem with simple walking. While at the hospital, I decided to re-teach myself to walk normally. I practiced all the time. I got it right by the time I left but I found it was now impossible to stop walking back and forth, I was pacing all the time. This went on at least a year. Then my doctor thought that PROZAC would possibly help me. After starting Prozac, 2 weeks into it, I sat down and no longer needed to pace.....aaaahhhhh...Peace at last. I continue to take it for depression, no side effects noticed.

August 15, 2013 4:00 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I am a 60 year old woman who seemed to be depressed all the time. I was always depressed and crying, now I never get depressed and seldom do I cry and things that bothered me, they don't affect me much now, this has been a Godsend for me !

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 10, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by So Grateful (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am extremely sensitive to medications, even over the counter herbal supplements, I can't take them. I had a lot going on in my life and started having anxiety attacks. I started taking 5mg of Prozac (cutting 10mg tablets in half). I noticed a change almost immediately. I feel much more relaxed, happy, I don't dwell on things that I might have in the past, I let things roll off my back more easily, and no more anxiety attacks. I'm more outgoing (I have somewhat of an introverted personality), I'm more patient and enjoy getting out and doing things more. I was afraid of gaining weight so I put off trying an antidepressant for a long time. Its been a month and a half and I've never felt better in my life.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 7, 2013 10:47 AM
Review by EuniceAboites: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started Prozac 20 mg 11 days ago, the first week I was feeling very anxious, dry mouth, numbness in my face, but that was only the first week! Now I feel so much better I can say on the 9 day I started to feel more focus, my fears went away, and today is my 11 day and I feel good just great, thanks to God and Prozac.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 5, 2013 2:16 PM
Review by Sambaluk: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: One of the few anti-depressants I can tolerate. Most cause major sleep disorders, But with Prozac I don't have a problem. Not really sure if it helps much with panic attacks, I've tried 20mg and 40mg, sometime 40 mg seems to be a bit much.

August 1, 2013 3:36 PM
Review by Anarchia: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Anxiety and Stress: I went on fluoxetine 40mg when I was 18 for Depression and Anxiety and it initially worked wonders. I lost 5kg, it cleared my skin up and gave me a glow I had not had in years. My mood picked up heaps and I felt amazing. On the down side, it caused severe migraines and insomnia to the point I would sleep 30minutes a night. I came switched to citalopram and have recently been anti-depressant free for 6 months. I am going to go back onto fluoxetine as it really worked for me and will see how the side effects go round 2.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 28, 2013 2:07 AM
Review by Bodhisatva (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I was on Lexapro which made me suicidal and started Prozac 20 mg. It was easy to wean off the Lexapro. After taking my pill in the morning I immediately felt severe drowsiness, heavy eyelids and tiredness. I started during my holiday and took a nap every afternoon. But once back to work the tiredness was unbearable. Especially in the afternoon, I could hardly keep my eyes open and have never drank so much Espresso and energy drinks. The Espressos did not even bring me to shaking whatsoever nor relieved my drowsiness. After 2 weeks and 2 days I quit but side effects lasted for at least a week. I must say it lifted my depression.

July 26, 2013 6:51 AM
Review by Venslofsky (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

fluoxetine for Depression: I suffer from depression which has worsened with the onset of menopause. I have a son with ADHD and a husband with HF Autism so my life can be very stressful. Fluoxetine has calmed me down and helped me to see positives in my lifestyle. Drawbacks include dry mouth and initially I put 2 stone on which I have now managed to lose. I fluctuate between 20mg and 40mg depending on how testing things get. I have come off it several times and also reduced to one 20mg every other day but increased again now. I hope to be able to come off it at some point.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 20, 2013 8:23 AM
Review by Familyd3 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac Weekly (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am now able to not worry over stupid stuff and am way more cheerful!

July 16, 2013 1:11 PM
Review by amf66: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Prozac about 2 & 1/2 years ago after having a horrible bout of dry mouth with Celexa. Did some research and asked the doctor for Prozac. I felt much the same as I did on the Celexa without the side effects. No weight gain but no loss either. As one of the other reviewers stated I felt "neutral" (neither happy or sad). It did help with anxiety and stress but after about a year and a half I once again developed severe dry mouth. I started taking my 20 mg dose every other day to reduce the side effects but ended up with swelling of my face and tongue. I am no longer taking this but would still recommend trying it. Thought I would do ok without medication but will be making an appointment tomorrow to get something new.

July 8, 2013 11:31 PM
Review by Railer (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I really like this medicine it's only been about 3 weeks and I'm feeling good, but for the last 2 weeks I have had a bloody nose everyday. So I have decided to stop taking it as of today and ask my doctor for a different prescription

July 8, 2013 2:52 AM
Review by Tamakachi (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: Did not work for my anxiety and made it difficult to maintain an erection.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 6, 2013 7:50 PM
Review by Prinkey: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Has worked very well for me but seems to be less effective than it was in the beginning. I have been taking for about 5 years.

July 2, 2013 11:38 PM
Review by juzy (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

fluoxetine for Dysthymia: This medication is a God send. If I didn't get put on this my life would still be upside down. It makes you sleepy a lot of the time.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 29, 2013 6:07 AM
Review by cws176 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: They bumped me up from 20mg to 40mg. I have strong depression and anxiety. But this is a great medicine for anxiety. I do not think I will need Klonopin anymore.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 20, 2013 6:05 PM
Review by drayko:

fluoxetine for Depression: Just started taking 20 mg/day. Mine is for all my medical issues and that can be hard to handle sometimes when you are always in pain. I hope it helps with the hopelessness I feel now. I'll keep you posted.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 17, 2013 11:18 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

fluoxetine for Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Prozac on and off throughout my life. I've been on it now for 6 consecutive months and I must say that anxiety is a thing of the past. I don't want to kill myself all the time either. I also am less impulsive (I smoke a lot though). I do tend to have trouble feeling emotions sometimes. This medicine is very powerful yet it seems subtle or unnoticeable while I'm on it, but the periods that I go off it, I can easily see its dampening effect on the mind because things become really clear - perhaps too clear.

June 13, 2013 11:44 PM
Review by steve 1970: User Rating:

fluoxetine for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been taking fluoxetine for 3 months to treat sexual obsessive compulsive disorder and I felt 100%. There has been no thoughts of wanting to be a women. I can think and feel that it is the best medicine I have ever tried.

June 12, 2013 10:19 PM
Review by chandlaaz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: I've been taking Prozac 20MG for 3 weeks now. It has changed my life. I take other meds (Xanax 1MG, Depakote 1000MG, Norco 10/325MG, Nexium 40MG) For other problems. Well I take the Xanax 4 times a day as needed to help with my anxiety and panic disorder. My Panic attacks were so bad I was hospitalized for a week. I couldn't function. I suffered unknown seizures because of panic disorder. Now I can Go about my Life. The only problem I have with Prozac is that it makes me go to the bathroom very often. The first few days it made me sleepy but that went away. I'm 16. It also helps depression too, its helped mine a lot. I would recommend this to anyone who suffers from severe anxiety like me.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 31, 2013 9:23 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am starting my 3rd week on Prozac, 20 mg daily. I feel like a new person and am so grateful. I agonized over this choice for weeks, but after 6 months of unbearable anxiety and sadness, then skyrocketing blood pressure, I knew I had to do something. I visited my GP - we did the physical, blood tests, etc. to rule out other factors. It turns out empty nest beginning menopause have done a number on me. The medicine made me feel nauseous, sleepy, like being on cold medicine. On the 10th day, my appetite returned! I don't notice side effects at all anymore. The sadness - 97% gone. The anxiety - 75% gone. I also start visits with a therapist in 2 weeks. Again, I'm grateful to get my life back.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 25, 2013 2:34 PM
Review by Gambit: User Rating:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: My OBGYN gave me this for Premenstrual dysphoric disorder and it took me a while to actually take it because of the stigma that goes along with taking Prozac. I WISH I had taken it sooner as it has made such a difference. I have more patience, I don%u2019t get angry as much and am happier than I have ever been. I originally was prescribed it for 14 days a month (2 weeks before my period), but it has been so helpful that I am taking it every day. I take 20mg in the morning. The first couple of weeks I had a hard time sleeping. I would wake up in the middle of the night and couldn%u2019t fall back to sleep. That went away and I have no other side effects. I know so many people who should be taking this. Someone mentioned that it should be in the water and I agree!

May 22, 2013 1:26 PM
Review by junko: User Rating:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: So I've been on 20mg Fluoxetine for three Weeks, and I never thought I'd ever go a day without binging again/purging. I feel happier, my relationship is so much better. I can go to family BBQs and focus on them and not the plentiful food. Some cons are: delayed or nonexistent orgasm, low libido, yawning. How I look at it is I was much to depressed, hating myself, and bloated from bulimia to want to have sex anyway! At least now I feel much better in my own skin, and I'm so rarely bloated, when before I couldn't remember the last time I wasn't bloated. I was insecure in EVERY situation and in all clothing. I suffered for a long time,and to see how much relief I've gotten from just 20Mg of this tiny pill is a miracle.

May 18, 2013 7:20 PM