User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 450 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by annie lou one:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I had slipped into a depression following some traumatic life events. The mornings were worse and often unbearable. I became suicidal. I was also agitated. I was desperate and went to GP and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. I have been taking them for six weeks and feel so much better. Mood has lifted and morning depression has stopped. Its saved my life. Side effects were a sore throat and cold symptoms which lasted four days. Yawning as well. Best thing I ever did was admit I had a problem and take medicines.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Ju Ra Ni (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Female, 27 y.o., 20mg, also taking Bupropion. It really helped to "lift the fog" of my depression. My boyfriend noticed my mood lift within a couple days. It all but killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight quickly; 17 lbs within a few weeks, 1-2 pounds a day. My appetite gradually returned and my weight plateaued. I experienced a different side effect every day during the 1st week. Numb; dizzy; nauseous; migraines. I quit imbibing because it only made me sleepy with a headache. That may have contributed to weight-loss and eventual regain as my alcohol tolerance returned to some degree. I still get the headaches, though less frequently, and I'll take a headache over crippling anxiety and depression any old day.

January 25, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by Ebol (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: Great for the PMDD but at what cost? My other emotions are blunted. My ability to love is blunted. My libido is gone. My husband is miserable. I have tried stopping and I got so emotional and crazy, I had to resume. I have tried only 10 mg a day, every other day, and still the side effects. I am going to back off further. It is truly a balancing act. I wish I could say something better. It helps.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by JecM:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been suffering from PMDD for years now. As I am getting older, symptoms like tender breasts, bloating, crazy cravings, fatigue, moodiness, crying, anger, have become stronger. I finally decided to talk to my obgyn about this and see if that's normal PMS or is it more serious.. She prescribed Sarafem and now I have been taking it for 2 months. I, the person that's against all drugs, am a changed person. Every day of the month my mood is the same.. I don't have any side effects most people above me stated. If you think at all that you might be suffering from PMDD, talk to your physician. It really helped me get myself back.

January 18, 2014 9:57 AM

Review by doing my best (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has literally saved my life not once but twice! The first was after the birth of my son I was on 20mg I was struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and severe anxiety. Prozac along with therapy made it able for me to live a normal life for almost 5 years. I just recently had a horrible bought with anxiety. I am finally coming out of that nightmare. I had a lot of life stressors that brought on the anxiety and caused the break, as much as I tried I couldn't come out of it so my Dr. increased my dose to 40mg. I have been on the 40mg for exactly a week today and I am so excited and cautious to say when I woke up this morning my heart wasn't beating out of my chest and I have been able to enjoy my day!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by zfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: One week ago I started Prozac and side effects have been bad for me. Fatigue, headaches, body ache, forgetful, sleepy, nightmares, yawning. My Doc told me to give it another week. Hopefully everything will work out. I am tired of PMS.

January 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by nomercy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac saved me.

January 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by lirpa13:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started to take Prozac several months back to get off Effexor. It really made that transition smooth. I take 20mg every other day. I find it helps with Anxiety but, not enough to wean off Klonopin. I know I'm normally over social and Prozac makes me anti-social. I don't mind because I'm only anti-social with people I don't need to be associated with. I believe my ability to orgasm has improved from Effexor to Prozac. I tend to sleep more than I should, but it's better than tossing and turning. My motivation is at an all time low right now, I don't know if it's the Prozac or work. I gained weight initially, but it's coming off slowly and evening out. I would recommend Prozac, it's not as feeling/responsibility numbing as others meds.

January 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by misslayla1998:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I have been taking Prozac (fluoxetine) for about a month now. I'm 15 and I am taking it for anxiety disorder and depression. So far it has been working. I have not been at all depressed for a while. It took about a week and a half for it to start making a difference. I noticed that I'm more calm when it comes to stress. I like it. I'm taking 10mg at the moment. The only complaint I have about it, is that I have noticed an increase in appetite, which I hate.

December 28, 2013 7:05 PM

Review by lyn tan:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Side effects are bad initially but now I am able to cope with side effects from this and I feel better now, less anxious and more calmer and happier!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Review by Markmck:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Fluoxetine about 7 weeks now, and I am really starting to see improvements. Before I started taking the medicine I had been affected by a painful breakup and had what could only be described as radio noise/chatter in my head, that's nearly all but gone, my appetite is back, I have interest in things again, my family said I'm happier, everything is getting easier to cope with. I have my life back. The first few weeks were difficult but stick with it. I took great comfort from the experiences of others and that I am not alone. You are not alone and we are all in the same boat and taking the first step to getting better is not easy, but I hope that people can take some comfort from my personal experience.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 8:11 PM

Review by h180:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have anxiety and emetaphobia along with symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. I was so scared to take Prozac, especially as it seemed that everything I read about it was negative. I am so glad that I found this website, as reading more positive and balanced reviews really helped me to decide to take it and I am so glad I did. I was lucky to have next to no side effects, I felt tired and a little emotionless for a while but that soon passed. It has helped to bring down my anxiety levels a lot and while it is not a miracle cure I feel like myself again, which is really great compared to how I had felt. I feel more balanced emotionally and focused.

December 7, 2013 4:03 PM

Review by bradstreetbassler:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication saved my life!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by dannyboy35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been depressed, with high levels of anxiety for ten years. I tried several different medications and I finally settled with an anti-depressant to help with sleep, and also was taking 3 Klonopin a day as well as trazodone at night for sleep for seven years. So I'm really thinking I may be on all these medicines for life and maybe be put on disability. So the doc finally put me on Prozac. It's been 2 months now and my anxiety has gone way down, I am less depressed, I no longer worry about things and am off trazodone and don't take Klonopin anymore. I have great dreams and wake up every morning with happy songs in my head, and I'm much more social. Prozac has just been a blessing, probably saved my life as I had lost all hope.

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Free-at-last:

For Panic Disorder: I started on fluoxetine ~4 yrs ago in high school. My panic attacks came sparingly and I fought it out for around 6 months. I noticed a difference 2 weeks into starting fluoxetine. I used to get a panic attack and almost always throw up. This is not the case anymore. I'm on 20mg and I do great. I'll get heightened anxiety maybe once every couple of months. The best I can describe panic attacks now is a "buzzing" feeling in your brain. Most of the time I can just breathe and it will go away. I have noticed no side effects.

December 3, 2013 11:19 PM

Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM

Review by tough start but now happier:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was suffering from anxiety and stress primarily but also from depression. I have been taking fluoxetine for about 5 weeks. The biggest thing for me has been some pretty heavy side effects in the first two weeks. The side effects were headaches, nausea, insomnia and less so, some agitation. I started on a 20mg daily dose for nearly two weeks, but when I complained about the side effects, my doctor cut the side to 10 mg per day. I took 10 mg for two weeks after that and was then able to go back up to the 20 mg dose. The side effects have subsided to a very minor level. I have also noticed a decrease in my anxiety and stress levels, I started noticing an improvement in symptoms after 3 weeks.

December 2, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by Pascal83:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder ever since I had my period. I would cry for no reason, lose focus at work, get anxiety attacks. It affected my daily life with mood swings, I would be this way for around 14 days before starting my actual period. The doctor prescribed me fluoxetine 10 mg to take 14 days before my period. I had taken Prozac in the past for what I thought was depression which was really bad PMS PMDD. So I took the Prozac for 14 days before my period and I was feeling much better. Prozac truly does help.

November 25, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by Ashb2000:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had very bad anxiety and was prescribed Prozac. I found the initial side effects very difficult and didn't feel quite right for some time and was constantly doubting the medicine. However, after eight weeks of taking it, the side effects have subsided and I feel back to my usual self. What a relief. If you are finding it tough, hang on in there, I'm sure you will get there.

November 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by Amy11:

For Depression: I'm 19, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and told to take fluoxetine. I have been on it for 3 weeks and since then I have stopped having panic attacks but have experienced some horrible side effects, including headaches, vomiting, heartburn (that lasted hours), insomnia, fits of giggles, lethargy, muscle aches, loss of libido, dizziness, sensitivity to light and a general feeling of not being altogether. So, the medication has stopped my low mood and constant anxiety, but has made me feel ill.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2013 11:25 AM

Review by xzombieLaura:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by Daniellebb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Worked for about a month then I started sleeping 13-15 hours a night and lost all motivation.

November 14, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 12:17 PM