User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 1 reviews 6 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

2.7
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 485 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by Depressed in Vegas (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I started a very low dosage and worked upward until I found what worked for me (40mg). However, as my depression got worse and worse, the Prozac actually stopped working altogether no matter how much it was increased! It's a good medicine for mild to moderate depression, but there are better choices for major depression.

May 17, 2014 5:47 AM

Review by minnykays (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Excellent for Major Depressive Disorder, as well as some mixed anxiety disorders.

May 15, 2014 11:20 PM

Review by wickedsmile:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Ok this is my third review in just less than a year. Here are the pros: weight loss (16 pounds lost), eliminated my anxiety issues, no more Klonopin, very calm, cool and collected attitude, improved vision and I feel great! I can give presentations in front of many people without hesitation or anxiety buildup. Now for the cons: Be careful drinking alcohol after taking your daily dose. I have experienced severe impairment after just a few drinks that I normally handle with ease. Usually it happens if I forget to take my dose in the morning and take it after work instead. If I don't give it time to metabolize in my system and drink on it, 2 beers can feel like 6. Be mindful of that and do not operate machinery/cars.

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Vectron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Hi been on Prozac after 5 years on Cipralex, feel better than ever and my weight has started to come down!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by GADGuy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking this for approximately 6 years. Started with 10mg, then 20mg, then 40mg... I'm at a point where I know it helps me but the side effects are increasing and I'm not sure if I should lower dosage or up it. I also take Xanax up to three times a day.

May 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by olivia_nguyen (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been taking this pill since grade 10 (so I've been on the medication for 4 yrs now) and I haven't experienced any bad side effects. But in my opinion, it didn't fully help me recover. Even over a year I've taken it, I would still get thoughts of suicide or hurting myself, either if it's physically or emotionally. But since last summer when I've told my youth worker about what's been going over in my life and she suggested I go to my psychologist and see if he'll up my dose or use a different medication or using therapy. I've went from 20 to 30 mg and I've been doing a lot better in my college tests and exams.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Half Pint:

For Depression: No side effects. 20mg/day works well for me. My depression is a result of having Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (since 1992) and Fibromyalgia (since 2002).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by constance2267 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I can't say enough about how much this medicine has helped me with depression. I spent years in and out of deep depression. I was finally diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder and started Prozac at 20 mg then went up to 40mg. I knew it was helping but I didn't fully realize how much until I forgot to take it for about 5 days. Then I started to feel the hopeless feeling I get with depression and I haven't missed a dose since. I'm one of the lucky ones with no negative side effects. My libido is better than ever and I've actually lost a few pounds. I sleep great and wake up every morning feeling rested and more positive about life than I ever have before.

243 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by tatiana757 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Prozac saved me! I've been in and out of hospitals for 10 years. Was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. After changing Doctors and medicines I finally feel like myself again. I here no voices of worry and stress. I'm not irritated over the slightest things. I can now think clearer. After months of depression and panic attracts my new doctor recommended Prozac. For weeks I felt nausea and weakness. Then on the third week I got up and out and got a job the same day! I was no longer stuttering and confused. My relationship with my significant other is 100% better. My thoughts were very clear. I'd finally gained my confidence back! I'm very happy I tried Prozac. I feel amazing.

April 25, 2014 1:21 AM

Review by gina1977:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac saved my life! 20 mg. I'm on week three. I was out of work for months and couldn't think clear. Then on the third week I woke up, finally got out of my bed and pursued looking for work. Got hired that same day! Yay! I encourage you to stay on Prozac for three weeks to take effect.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Crayonsnglu (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I was told that anti-anxiety meds take a while to kick in but I feel like this one has kicked in sooner than I thought it would. I only take 20mg for anxiety and overall I have started to feel a lot more positive and less stressed out about things I usually stress out about. I haven't noticed any side effects besides my stomach feeling a little off the first week and lately I have not been as hungry as I usually am and get full alot faster....but I wake up in the morning starving. Weird but no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything! I hope I can continue to take this medicine because it does seem to keep me "level" with my emotions.

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by Annie1975000:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac is great! When you first start, you can feel a little anxious, but hang in there. It has changed my whole outlook on life after being really depressed after a divorce and trying to raise two kids on my own. It gave me the confidence to get a job and enjoy working again. Before it, I had little confidence. I love laughing again, which I do a lot now! No side effects for me, except feeling a bit weird and anxious for the first few weeks.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 7:15 AM

Review by Angelina205 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Prozac has changed my life I feel like I can enjoy small things like sitting outside and feeling the wind hit my face. I would have several panic attacks during the day and developed agoraphobia. Now with only 10 mg daily it helps, I have come off slowly with no withdrawals!

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by Spiven:

For Depression: I was against taking any kind of medication but after various breakdowns and my job on the line I took Cipralex which did not work for me. My Doctor then switched me to Fluoxetine which has changed my life! If you are on the fence, do as your doctor suggests and take the medicines.

April 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Virginia1988 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I've been taking fluoxetine for about 6 months now. I was going through really bad depression/anxiety. I tried Celexa and 1 other antidepressant(can't remember the name) but they made my depression worse. I was scared to try another one but I did anyways, and I'm happy I did. I can eat again, sleep again, function again. It's not a cure, no antidepressant or anti-anxiety medicine is, but it helps to make it through the day. The real work is all on you. Positive attitude, balanced diet, exercise, and enough sleep. This medicine may work for some, but everybody is different. Pretty much trial and error.

April 7, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by awall83:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started Prozac 20mg Friday 3/28/14 its been 6 days. I feel weak, tired, anxious, depressed, and my appetite is out of control, eating all the time. I am going to give this more time, hopefully it works for me like it has for all the others on here. I would give anything to not feel this way anymore, I've struggled with it my whole life.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 9:37 AM

Review by EricaLikesCalculus:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a 17 year old girl with Generalized Anxiety Disorder which I've struggled/am struggling with all throughout high school. I've been on Prozac for about 8 months now and it's helped me get through a lot of very anxiety-inducing situations for me. Before taking this medication, it had become very difficult for me to even attend school, and often times I'd have to be absent due to panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety. The Prozac has made everyday life so much more bearable for me. I no longer feel repressed by my anxiety. It's not a "cure" but it has helped a ton for me, and I have much hope for the future now. In addition, it is also helpful with my mood.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by Just a guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It works. It wasn't the magic bullet for me (Wellbutrin was it for me) but I still take this in a 20mg dose to help with things. Mainly still taking it because I was tapered down from 40mg which was giving me sexual side effects, while simultaneously upping the Wellbutrin, and have been stable ever sense so Dr just wants to let it be because it's working. Going to ask for a reduction in this next time though as I feel that the Wellbutrin is most likely enough on its own at the high dose I am currently on (600mg). This medicine is definitely worth trying and works for lots of people, just wasn't the end all be all for me personally.

March 26, 2014 4:58 AM

Review by Alex D (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: I started experiencing panic attacks a few months ago, so bad that I thought I was dying each time I had one, my college NP prescribed me Prozac, the first month of taking it was HELL, my anxiety defiantly increased and I had more frequent panic attacks, my doctor said this was normal and to stick with it and I did! Let me tell you it has changed my life, I am able to function normally now and even though I experience some anxiety, I am able to manage it. Prozac has just made me a genuinely happier person and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety, especially with panic attacks and depression.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by Meooooooooooow:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for only 5 days. I have noticed some changes already. I have the worst anxiety and for the past 3 days, stressful situations seem a tad bit less stressful for me. I already lost 4-5 pounds on it. It makes me never think about food anymore. It makes me not hungry for hours. Even a small granola bar can keep me satisfied and full for 5-6 hours... But I force myself to have breakfast lunch and dinner. Things seem more brighter, colors are more vivid to me. Overall I think it's starting to work. I will re-respond in a few weeks to touch base.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by Paign (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medicine really seems to help me a bit, I don't much have an appetite (but I never did anyway), it calmed me down enough to think. I've been on it for almost a week and for a few days my terrible nightmares stopped, but now my dreams are back but they're just weird now. I had nausea for the first 4 days, not that's gone. This medicine has some good qualities, but for me, 4 days after starting to take it I developed a rash on my neck in reaction to the medicine. Don't let that scare you though. Only 7% of people will have this effect according to a couple of articles I've read about it. Anti-itch cream keeps it from bothering me, but I'm planning to switch to Celexa soon.

March 19, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by Suesun (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: At first I was afraid. After taking it for almost a little over a year now, I would be the opposite afraid not to. My family noticed a positive change in behavior and I lead an almost normal life.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Zacpro (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks now, I got my script from my GP. I told him I wanted to start with 10mgs in the morning and 10 at night. That didn't work out because it affected the last 4 hrs of sleep. So I just started taking the 20mgs in the morning. At first I would feel jittery for a few hours. Into my 8th week I'm good. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of reading about the side effect a little too thoroughly, by that I mean I read the pharmacology part for health care professionals. There I stumbled on a possible side effect that really bothers me. Alopecia! I'm a man in my early 50s, has anyone heard anything about losing hair on Prozac?

March 11, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by CPT Wiley (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Never made me happy but made the little things not so unbearable. Used to obsess over small problems to point of immobility. Better now but not a cure. Have been on it for about 4 years and feels like getting less effective. Really helped first few months to year. Now not sure but do notice if I miss a pill I am very angry anxious entire day

March 7, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by AmandaDA:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on medication for over 20 years to help with my mood and anxiety. Some I stayed on for a few years and then I would change. Some even less because of side effects. I went on Sarafem after doing my own research and asked the Dr to prescribe it 2 months ago. Thank goodness he did because this is the first time in as far back as I can remember that I actually feel happy every day. Less mood swings. I don%u2019t let things bother me as much as I did before. I am honestly a happier person now. This stuff honestly has changed my life.

March 6, 2014 12:28 PM