User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Bulimia 27 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 775 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

For Hot Flashes: "I was having hot flashes every night from being peri-menopause and I recently started on 20 mg of prozac. It took approximately 3 weeks for it to start working and I swear by it by the 4th week not one hot flash. I am feeling so much relief from prozac. Not only have my hot flashes gone away but my moods are stable and I feel great!"

Floq (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've recently started taking prozac and have never been on an ssri before but have always thought I needed one for my constant worrying thoughts and random depression. I haven't been taking it for very long and already feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier and it's easier to get rid of my bad thoughts that previously consumed my life. I feel better than I've ever felt amd wish I would have tried it sooner!"

Aj2817 January 24, 2016

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I've only been on Fluoxetine now for 12 days at 20mg. I have a feeling I'll be going up to 40mg soon. Nothing much yet except I have noticed I don't "blow up" as much at everyone but it's only 12 days. You need 3-4 wks to see really. I've tried Lexapro (sleepy all time & wt gain)& Sertraline (went toxic in my body, liver enzymes went up, constant diarrhea, major wt loss) & lastly Cymbalta (helped with pain but not mentally and withdrawals were horrible). So antidepressant #4. I hope this one works! I do have loose bowels a lot in morning but take 1 Loperamide everyday. That's all really except sometimes anxiety goes up. Exercise will help."

Audlynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Prozac 4 weeks ago ... For symptoms of menopause ...... I can't take HRT as I've had cancerous cells in my cervix which is why I had a hysterectomy .. Anyway I was having palpitations panic attacks stress and anxiety forgetting words very emotionally up and down .. I also suffer from PTS from a violent childhood .. I have to say I've been so much happier and settled in my mind this is definitely working for me ."

Vicky1202 January 19, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I had a horrible experience with Prozac. I was actually very excited when my doctor decided it would be the next anti-depressant medication I tried, because it gets so much good publicity. Hell, there's even a memoir called "Prozac Nation." Upon beginning my daily regimen of prozac, I had increased anxiety (too the point that I was having uncontrollable heart palpitations, dizzy spells, trouble breathing -- I couldn't eat, and got down to 100lbs on accident) and my suicidal ideation increased to the point that I made a very serious suicide attempt. Thanks to quick intervention, speedy response from paramedics, and a life flight I am alive today. Be careful, and be aware of side effects."

afay January 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed the generic form of Prozac and at 2.5 weeks, my depression became more severe. I began feeling hopeless. Worse I have felt in a very long time. I'm glad to hear that most people find improvement, but wanted to share my experience"

Faithdeshea (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on fluoxetine 5weeks@ 20mg & additional 1week combo with apripazole 5mg. I've been diagnosed with major depression and BPD. I have flu like symptoms and restlessness. don't feel much improvement before or after combining apripazole except I am very chilled and calm sometimes too calm. I no longer have insane panic attacks or think too much over everything. I hate the crazy dreams and insomnia but love getting out of bed feeling like I can run a marathon-due to fluoxetine. The apripozole helps with appetite which is non existent and helps boost fluoxetine. How much longer need to wait for the side effects to diminish as the restlessness is getting v.distressing"

dull253 January 18, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started generic brand of Prozac more than 3-4 years ago. I started at 20mg and am still on that same dose. Before Prozac, I lost almost 50 pounds because I didn't eat. I was depressed and always anxious. I was afraid of weird things, like taking a shower because I thought I would fall and die. I was afraid to win the lottery ( never would happen anyway lol) I never had anything like this in my life! I was newly wed, and just had baby. So I guess it was normal to have those feelings. Prozac has been great. first few weeks on it I had increased anxiety. Worse thing is I gained about 75-80 pounds !!"

Matt127 January 17, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I have had PMDD since 2007 aged 27. Doc placed me on 10mg citalapram however after 5 years in my symtoms have come back - citalopram seemed to have stopped working & the anxiety came back with a vengance. I tried to increase but the side effects were just to bad. So the doc has prescribed me 10ml of liquid flx. . It's only my 2nd week and I'm 14 days into my cycle. Which is where my anxiety kicks in!! I'm hopping that the flx needs time to kick in? So far though the side effects seem OK"

posh1 January 17, 2016

For Depression: "I was put on this medication 6 years ago after being in the hospital. I will admit that I wasn't suicidal anymore, but I just didn't feel right. I felt numb and that nothing bothered me. There were situations where I should have stood up for myself and didn't because I didn't feel the person had said anything wrong even though they were treating me unfairly. The only pro I can say for it is that it got me sane enough to leave the hospital. I have been off the medication for almost a year now and recognize that I was not myself and I will NEVER go back on it again!"

JBrown92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I am beginning my fourth week on 20mg Fluoxetine taken each morning. I am recovering from a long term abusive relationship with a Narcissist. I have a head injury that predisposes me to fatigue. I asked the doctor to help me with my energy levels. I did not admit it but the underlying feeling I had was that 'everything was too much' and 'nothing matters anyway'. But nobody would have guessed how hopeless I had become. And had been for at least 10 years. Initially I experienced all of the symptoms people warn about in the first few weeks. Insomnia and occassional extreme anxiety were the worst. Now I feel enthused about taking things one at a time and am enjoying the process. I have begun to sleep normally again. So far, so good."

Blinky1 January 15, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been using 40 mg of prozac daily for almost a year now, I went from the worst I've ever been, crying all the time never being able to stop thinking about how much I hated myself life and everything about life, I was not eating, was so full of rage and hate and had the most negative mindset towards everything, like every second of my life was hell and pointless seeming, I wished I was dead (although would never actually kill myself for my families sake) and after about 2 or 3 weeks of taking the prozac everything got so much better it was like it flipped a switch in my head and the negative thoughts went away and I actually felt good and happy which I thought was so impossible to feel, taking these meds was the best thing I've ever done"

Auma13 January 15, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I started taking this medicine only 3 days ago and I already feel like I can tell a difference. I have extreme panic disorder, social anxiety, and just general anxiety. Recently I have been getting panic attacks every night around 9pm, but ever since I started taking this I haven't had a single one. I know these kind of medicines aren't supposed to start working for a couple weeks, but I truly feel a difference already. I have tried Lexapro (gained a ton of weight) and Zoloft which was giving me terrible side effects as well so I am hopeful that this medicine will work without causing other problems!"

YAY!* January 14, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had general anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it started really interfering with my daily life and relationships. My doctor put me on prozac with 20mg dosages. The first 1-2 weeks I did have a bit of nausea so it was hard eating in the mornings, but that's the only side effect I noticed. It helped me get rid of anxious thoughts that had once wrecked my life, and made me calm without ridding me of my outgoing and bubbly personality. That made me really happy. However I have now been on it for almost 3 months and I am noticing a large decrease in sex drive. It has started effecting my relationship so I'm currently looking at other options. Other than that I would recommend. :)"

jenjen199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started Prozac as one of my first anti depressants for MDD It made me horribly sick. I was nauseous all day, and wouldn't eat for days at a time. I stayed on it to try and get thorough the side effects but they wouldn't stop, I was throwing up every other day One day I woke up and I started to violently shake, This lasted for over 12 hours until I ended up in the hospital with Tachycardia. This was a horrible experience and months later I still have stomach and heart issues, I'm on new medications now, But because of my bad experience I get very anxious when I take them"

Haley_14115 January 12, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "My genius psychiatrist started me on this drug in the fall of 2008. The first few weeks I felt even worse than before I had started taking the fluoxetine. After many months on the drug I was eventually taking 400mg a day, and having manic thoughts & episodes. My psychiatrist decided I was bi-polar and then started me on seroquel (rather than give me a break for my nervous system to re-adjust to it's natural state), which I also ended up taking for about 6 months and at about the same dose. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken either fluoxetine(Prozac) or seroquel(Quetiapine)."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2016

For Depression: "When I first started taking this medication I changed from Lovan, and for about 2 weeks I felt on top of the world! I was motivated, full of energy and was actually laughing after a long period of depression. It was all downhill from there... I reached the point where my brain just didn't feel "right", I was more depressed than ever, feeling desperate and looking for a way out of feeling so low. I stopped taking the medication, initially to piss off my husband, and it was then that I realized this medication was the cause of my depressive moods, anxiety and anger. I would not recommend this medication to anyone without close psychiatric monitoring."

Cate700 January 9, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've tried Effexor, buspirone, and lexapro with no change in how I felt. I started taking Prozac last night and can already feel an amazing difference. I'm happy. I have energy... I actually WANT to participate in things. I'll update more once I'm on the medication longer, but so far I feel great."

Mercelída January 6, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for a week . I get panic attacks . My doctor first gave me lexapro I felt so sick with flu like symptoms. He changed me to prozac so far the symptoms are a lot lighter . My problem is I'm still having to to take xanex to stop the shaking . The doctor prescribed me 1.0 of xanex twice a day I spread it out cause it just makes me sleep . I don't want to just exist - I want to live . I hoping to see changes soon"

Yonaza (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This pill worked for me. I experienced tremendous weight loss. 216lbs to 204 in a month without trying. Happy every day. I can tell when the pill wears off because I get stressed. Pop a pill and 20 minutes later I can cope again. I have energy galore and I'm motivated to do everything. Total change from the depressed me. I feel like I'm myself again. A better me. No side effects except excess energy. I have a harder time falling asleep because my mind races with things I can accomplish or work on."

Aaron C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2015

For Depression: "Was on lexapro 10 mg for 3 months then 15mg for 2 month. Lexapro reached a point of not working. Switched to 20mg Prozac. No twitching or headaches or sick stomach. Find appetite has increased."

Alex Thompson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015