User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 557 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary."

eh11111 December 20, 2014

For Depression: "This is by far the best antidepressant I have ever taken. I took 10 mg brand name only and it completely took away my depression. It wasn't a "happy" pill; it just helped me to cope with the normal ups and downs of life like a regular person. It helped me to see that things that used to send me into suicidal despair, were really not the end of the world. I was more confident and assertive, it helped me to take baby steps out of the black pit I was in before, and try new things and be social again. It did turn out that I had some kind of allergy to the pill, which is the only reason I quit taking it. I would highly recommend trying brand name only, start out on a low dose and hang in there for 6 weeks before you decide if you like it or not."

PsychGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2014

For Depression: "First 3 weeks on the medicine and I felt worse, I started self harming and experienced suicidal thoughts (though apparently this is quite common), I got worried so went back to doctors who upped my dose to 40mg. 40mg gave me headaches, made me feel quite aggressive, lost a bit of weight due to decreased appetite and kept me up at night. Went back to the doctors and told him side effects so he dropped it back down to 20mg to ween me off it so I could try Mirtazapine. A couple of days after speaking to the doctor, I started to feel a lot more positive and happy and touch wood, a week later and I feel the same! I was meant to start taking the Mirtazapine today, but I think the Fluoxetine has slowly kicked in so Im sticking with it!"

Kitty93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on fluoxetine for about 7 years or more now and I can tell you it has been the best decision I've ever made. I was put on for OCD and depression as well as anxiety and the constant hand washing is a thing of the past! When on it I feel like a happier person wanting to do more things and have become more outgoing! As like any medicine, there are side effects at first, but funnily enough I don't think I had any. Don't worry if you feel horrible when you first get on them, you sometimes have to go down to come all the way back up!"

Rakel Ann (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2014

For Depression: "I've been on fluoxetine for 8 years plus for depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I thought I can do without it so I stopped several times in my 8 years and I can tell you that was a mistake. I have severe depression and my anxiety goes through the roof and death would be a welcoming concept. But I know I can't live without the medicines. It makes me think categorize my thoughts and I think more logically without compromise."

Blove21 December 9, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I am one of the few people who doesn't suffer from some mixed form of depression & anxiety; I'm straight anxious. I have been on 10-20 mg Prozac for about 7 months now - starting was a little rocky in terms of heightened anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea, but those leveled off after 3 wks. Now, in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and daily mental work, I have to say that this medicine really has helped me get to a place where I can actually implement permanent habits and positive thought cycles and RELAX, whereas before I had a lot of trouble not being stuck as a result of my ruminating, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc. It's also been really great for my marriage, and my husband has been a big teammate. It's been good."

EmBo333 December 8, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was prescribed fluoxetine for premenstrual dysphoric disorder. For the last 5 years I took Remeron for depression, in which did nothing to help with PMDD. I gained 60 lbs within a 3 month period of being on it. Well 2 months ago my doctor switched me to 10 mg fluoxetine. The side effects were a nightmare for the first two weeks. Excessive drowsiness, nausea, increased anxiety especially in the morning, diarrhea, completely lost my appetite. Well I'm glad I hung in there because the side effects went away, my mood improved tremendously, and on top of that I lost 20 lbs in the first 1.5 months. My appetite has improved. Very happy about the weight loss, but I feel that 20mg would be a little more effective in treating PMDD symptoms. Overall its great."

Supermom77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I finally had the guts to mention my depression to my doctor, Thank God! I was depressed for years and was at the point of uncontrollable crying, missing work because of it. This was not the wife and mother I wanted to be so I finally asked for help. It has changed my life. No more depression and many things that used to cause me stress bother me much less or not at all. Not many side effects except fatigue, appetite loss, and a spacey feeling that only lasted a few days. Please don't wait to ask for help. I wish I had done this long ago."

Momshappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "Didn't work at all, found it only made me feel worse."

Rose1379873 November 29, 2014

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Was prescribed fluoxetine and have been taking for about 6 months. Was prescribed this for my perimenopause moodiness. Everyone was getting on my nerves I just wanted to scream every time one of my co-workers asked me a simple question. This has been life changing for me, things don't bother me like they did before. I wish I would have told my Gyn about my moodiness with PMS would have been nice to take this for that."

ljj2014 November 26, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've battled depression for five years and anxiety since I was a kid. The first two weeks on Prozac, everything got ten times worse. I couldn't function or stop crying or hating myself. But after that, the depression subsided. I'm more confident, calm, and I shy from negative thoughts and sadness rather than welcoming those things like I used to. It has helped my depression an incredible amount, but I have seen a little less improvement in the anxiety (even with cognitive behavioral therapy). Side effects for me are lots of yawning and loss of appetite."

rach-mae November 18, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've taken Prozac a few times starting at 22. That 1st time was a nightmare! I literally lost time- only remember crying all the time...I don't even remember how long I took it! But that WAS 25 yrs ago. So I was deathly afraid to try it again til about 6 yrs ago. That time it was a lifesaver! I felt my mood lift alot after a week, then even more after a month. These results lasted for several yrs with some sexual side effects, but less than with Zoloft & Lexapro (which also caused waking WIRED every 4 hrs). After a few yrs it felt like I was on nothing at all so I switched to Pristiq which again, saved my life. Now I'm back to Prozac. But I'm sure it's more about what's going on in my life. Nothing works without situations improving as well."

AuntiePoomPoom777 November 18, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on every antidepressant known to mankind and they were awful to me. Either the side effects were too bad or it turned me into a complete zombie to the point work was out of the question, and then my dr said we would try one more called Prozac and the reason he had not prescribed it before was because it took 6-8 weeks to reach full effect as where the others took less then half that time. I started out taking 10mg because I have always been very sensitive to antidepressants and their side effects. For about the first 2 or 3 weeks I experience light anxiety... Then finally the 6 weeks passed and still nothing, but then finally about 8 weeks into the mediation, I feel like Santa Clause on steroids! It has saved my life! "

kd3h (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had 0 panic attacks all my life until last Oct when I got my 1st one which I called 911. 2 days later I had another one in which I was taken to the ER and given Ativan they said due to panic attack/anxiety. Scared me both times felt like I was dying. The nurse said she took Lexapro so I asked my doc to let me try that one first since the nurse had great luck, but I didn't like it! My coworker told me she takes Prozac so I switched meds to try it and WOW, not anxious like I want to pass out at the grocery store or in the middle of a packed restaurant! I have been taking 20mg and my doc said since I had such success he wants me on 40mg. This medication Prozac has let me live life again and not feel like I'm going to pass out in public."

Savedme November 17, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "In 1995, I was miserable for no particular reason and was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Prozac. Great life, depression in check. In 2013, I weened myself off it because I didn't think I needed it anymore. As luck would have it, I hit a period of challenging events in life that they brain interpreted as trauma. To cope, I began drinking a little which evolved into daily. I concluded that I had gone off Prozac, decreased self control and created a personal crisis. I'm back on Prozac and my moods have leveled off and I so far have the ability to abstain. I won't go off it again."

Lorenzo P November 14, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started on 20 mg of Prozac for GAD. The first two weeks have been hell - insomnia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and anxiety. The side effects seem to be subsiding. Now more balanced than before."

Male 47 November 9, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "It worked great for me.. but towards the end put on 10 pounds.. but it really kept my mind positive and stable."

jp. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had Post Partum Depression after my baby was born and ignored it thinking it would go away..after 18 months..it blew up in my face. I had severe panic attacks was constantly in a state of fear and vertigo. I could not sit still. I would dry heave every morning or before I had to go anywhere, severe social anxiety, severe hypochondria. I would spend hours looking up a disease I thought I had at a specific time. I would cry at the drop of a hat. Xanax was helping but maybe for an hour a day. I had huge outbursts of anger. I would keep thinking negative thoughts..thought that I could not live any longer like this. I was reluctant to take it at first but then said...I can't feel any worse. I've been on it since Aug 8th 2014."

gigismom74 November 2, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder: "works"

Js94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I treated my major depression with any type of narcotics or benzos. I was so depressed just wanted to die. But I found Prozac. Now loving life clean sober and happy. Please try this medication. 40 mg 1xday. Free at local health department"

jonathon1990 November 1, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I've been taking fluoxetine for 6 months now. I started taking at night after my first day due to drowsiness. I wake up periodically through out the night. My dr says it's not the medicine. But it has to be. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months! & I've always loved to sleep. The medicine works awesome though"

CamiK November 1, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "The best SSRI, beat depression, anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder."

wer2 October 24, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I suffered horribly with post partum depression and severe anxiety for 2 years after the birth. Felt so terrible. All the time, felt like I couldn't do anything. Everything overwhelmed me. Tried Prozac and didn't notice a difference for 2 weeks, then slowly started feeling calmer and could somewhat focus on tasks and errands. I started supplements, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Felt more relief with this combination of Prozac and supplements. Noticed a lift of mood and sleep was once again welcomed instead of torture. I had severe insomnia during my Depression. All I can say is I've been on this combination for 5 almost 6 years and felt much better. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this illness."

luv1977 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Saved my life."

Raya1128 October 22, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I'm on week one and I feel a difference already. Been depressed for years on and off. Finally felt strong enough to share my story with someone and was diagnosed severe depression. I always thought the way out of depression is to fix was is bothering you and everything will be fine. 6 Years later, I missed out on fun, laughter and family. Won't let time fly by anymore. I hope I continue to want to go outside, meet people and lose weight. I will keep you posted."

LoveMiami October 20, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next