User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

6.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 429 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Review by Slippers and pjs:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a teenager and I have had pretty severe anxiety for about 3 to 4 years. It stopped me from doing normal high school things, like going to dances, making friends, and going to parties because those kinds things terrifies me. I went to a psychiatrist and since my anxiety has been negatively effecting my life she prescribed me 20 ml of prozac once a day. This has seriously changed my life. I've tried all the natural medications and techniques that claim to work but nothing had worked for me. It took a while to kick in but once it did I became a whole new person. I've been so happy and can do things without worrying!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 9:57 PM

Review by Scottie Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I've suffered most of my life with a condition I thought was just one of those things. My mother took me to the doctor when I was in my teens and asked her to do something with me. In those days I was given Vit B complex, which did nothing. In my 40s the condition worsened again, and thinking nothing could be done, I ignored it. Out of sheer desperation and knowing that this really can't be normal, I approached my GP and was put on this medication. I didn't think it would work, it's an anti-depressant, how much difference could it make? I'm 2 months in and I wish I'd gone to my GP years ago. If you are reading this and wondering about this medication, then please at least try it. I have my life back and I love it.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by 1Taskin234:

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm 14. I started using prozac because I have OCD and anxiety. I am on day 4 with prozac and I feel like I've lost all my emotions and I feel a bit dumb. It's a wierd feeling. I really don't know how this medicine will turn out but all I can say is that right now I feel worse than I probably ever could. I cried three times yesterday. Is this normal to feel dumb and feel so sad and anxious and why does the medicine do such a thing at first? I know that my body is trying to get used to it and all but I am really curious about how this medicine works (tecnically). What is it trying to do? and will it destroy my emotions???and will I have to use it for my whole life or smth?

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I just switched to Prozac and it is a life changer! I am no longer tired and my anxiety is controlled. Day 4 for now, and I feel 100% better than a month ago....

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 10:07 PM

Review by stable emotions (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Prozac for about 12 years. I'm a small person (about 5 ft tall, 115 pounds). I take 10 mg every other day. My Doctors say this dosage is a placebo, but I highly disagree. I use to suffer from mild, sometimes not so mild depression. Never have had it while I have been on Prozac. It just cuts off strong emotions. No rage, no crying, and sometimes no feelings! This is the only problem, I am basically numb on emotions. I only cry when things really hit me hard. It has to be hard! I must say, I love alcohol on Prozac, it only takes one drink to lighten me up. This drug has been a life saver!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by Ket89:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac really worked for me. It kept my depression under control along with my anxiety. Only side affects is you can forget about sex!!! I also experienced short term memory loss.

October 29, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by Virgo85:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on Fluoxetine (Generic for Sarafem) for exactly 2 years. This medication changed my life. I was hesitant to take it (or any medication like it) because I thought I was going to feel numb to my feelings/emotions and be a completely different person. I have been suffering from depression & PPMD for as long as I can remember. My doctor never picked up on it and I never realized how much it was affecting my life. I was moody, irritable, had no patience. I would cry for no reason, have panic attacks for no reason. I would wake up in the morning with that empty/dreadful feeling. Everyday was a struggle. Some days were much worse than others. I feel SO much better now. I really wish I started taking this sooner.

October 29, 2013 11:00 AM

Review by uhhhmmmm:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking 10mg prozac for 2 days. On the 2nd day my whole body ached like the flu and my throat is sore. I took Tylenol for the body aches and pretty much slept the whole day. Around 2am I started vomitting up bile until 5 am. Cold sweats, clammy and shaking. My dr. told me to stop taking the prozac but my body still aches so bad.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Crash and Burn:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Anger management issues and depression had plagued me my whole life. I have been fired from many a job for the problems I would bring upon myself. I've been on Prozac 20mg for 10 years and it has changed my life. I was able to perform with minimal issues and my wife didn't divorce me even though she had grounds to so. WARNING! I couldn't get a renewal from my doctor because he stopped taking my insurance. So I tried to get another doctor but appointments were months away and went off my meds cold turkey. 6 weeks into the withdrawal I was fired from my job, of which I loved, because I had a meltdown. I was yelled at by another employee and I started to loose control. The bottom line was they escorted me out of the building.

October 24, 2013 6:17 AM

Review by Living better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I suffer from chronic anxiety with periodic bouts of mild depression for 20 years. I tried everything...acupuncture, diet, exercise, and 5-htp. Had a horrible experience with Zoloft and Paxil when I developed depression in college. I tried antidepressants for 2 months but with horrible side effects. As a result, I avoided medications to address my anxiety and/ or mild depression through the years. Unfortunately, my anxiety level became unbearable this past year. I tried the following: lexapro...5-10 mg absolutely horrible. Made me extremely tired, depressed and never reduced my anxiety level. Xanax: extremely helpful but still experienced agitation, stress, irritability, and anxiousness. Prozac: 10-20 mg. a life changer. I feel relaxed.

October 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by Oddmolly:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I have suffered Bulimia for about 10 years and at different stages was binging/purging up to 5 times a day. Over the years I have tried so many medications, but Prozac is the first to really assist. I started on 20mg, which has recently increased to 40mg. This is the only medicine/therapy that has dramatically decreased my impulse to binge/purge. I am feeling so happy within myself and it has really assisted with my depression and low energy levels too. One odd side effect I have noted is that I am yawning a lot, a small price to pay to being in control of my eating and mood. This is definitely worth a try if you are having bulimic symptoms and recommend it highly. Good luck.

October 16, 2013 7:10 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on this medication for 3 months now. Mainly taking it to reduce PMS symptoms and it is working. The first few weeks I felt really tired, not hungry, and just all over weird. After the first month, those side effects subsided. I have not gained any weight and do not have those "moments of rage" I would get before my period. I don't plan on being on it forever but I will take it as long as I see fit.

October 15, 2013 11:51 AM

Review by Phil1987uk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I suffered with Obsessive compulsive disorder & generalized anxiety disorder which caused depression and stress. I came on here in June looking for answers, I used to be on Sertraline but they stopped working after I had stopped and went back on them. I thought my life was over. I got put on 20mg Prozac by my Doctor, and it is the best medicine ever, I would highly recommend it, it gave me my life back, I am so happy, no more stresses. Also I have no side effects. Give it about 6 weeks trust me and you will see how this works. Unbelievable. 10/10!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 5:52 AM

Review by fishcake dai:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been taking 60mg of Prozac a day for the last 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)when I was 14. Have lived with OCD and anxiety ever since. I'm now 32 and for the last two years since taking Prozac I feel normal again. I have experienced no side effects but did quickly realize that alcohol does not mix. But, I'd rather give up alcohol than go back to a mental institution.

October 11, 2013 3:55 PM

Review by manding (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am diagnosed as having bipolar disorder 1 and for 13 years been suffering and have difficulty sleeping. If I did sleep I dozed for more than 12 hours and have no energy after my psych doc changed my antidepressant from Surmontil to fluoxetine. I just notice its immediate effects after 5 days. I have energy, my sleep was good. My thoughts are clear, I just hope that this effects would last as this medicine puts a smile on my face as having more motivation and being positive.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 9:32 AM

Review by Eunice Aboites:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Prozac 40 mg for 10 weeks now, I feel super great. I was taking Xanax too but I feel I don't need to take my Xanax any more. Prozac has been working for me just great! The first week I was feeling terrible anxiety, numbness in my face, dry mouth, fears. It was crazy but at day 9th I started to feel more focused, so now it's been 10 weeks and I feel how I used to feel before, just great. So please just hang in there, give Prozac at least 2 weeks to kick in.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I tried several other anti-depressants before being prescribed fluoxetine. It has really made a huge difference in my life. I used to suffer from constant anxiety, racing thoughts, depression, and suicidal thoughts. I couldn't drive a car, go grocery shopping, order fast food, leave my house, or even talk to friends and family without having a mental breakdown. Eventually, I was completely dysfunctional and hopeless. In combination with DBT therapy, I have greatly improved. I still have sad days, but my anxiety is pretty much non-existent. Life is not a constant struggle. When I first started fluoxetine, I was very nauseous and could not orgasm. After a few days, the nausea wore off, and with practice, my sex life returned to normal.

September 27, 2013 4:18 AM

Review by the teen (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It gave me panic attacks.

September 23, 2013 9:29 PM

Review by madison mom:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been taking 20 mg of Prozac for about five years for my premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It has changed my life and I will never quit taking it. Before, I was quick to fly off the handle. Ironically, I dreaded weekends because my family stressed me out so much. I'm embarrassed to admit was not a very pleasant employee/coworker. I noticed a difference after about a month of taking it when I realized that I'm a different person - for the better. When I first started taking it I was waking up at about 4 am every morning but that has gone away. I still don't always sleep very well but my understanding is that happens to everyone when they get older!

September 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Movie Lvr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Pros: Great at controlling depression, anxiety, and stress. Cons: Feel agitated, hyper, and impulsive on it; some daytime fatigue; longer to orgasm and decreased sex drive (sexual dysfunction makes me feel less attractive and confident around my man); vivid dreams at night; numbed emotions; must have patience when getting off to avoid withdrawal symptoms (my taper was two months long!). Note: I would rather have a lowered sex drive than anxiety, stress, or depression though.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 8:49 PM

Review by shutterpixel:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had suffered from anxiety for years, but was hesitant to try Prozac. As I got older, my anxiety got worse. I started having panic attacks on a regular basis, and it was getting harder for me to plan normal activities. I finally asked my therapist to put me on an anti-depressant. We decided on fluoxetine. The first two months were VERY difficult for me. I had every side-effect in the book. But I hung in there, as my doctor said to give it two months. Around 7 or 8 weeks, the side-effects subsided, and since then, my life has been SO much better. I haven't had a panic attack in a year. Little annoyances roll off my back. But I'm still me. My advice is give it time. It can be a frustrating journey, but well worth it in the end.

September 10, 2013 12:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: I was put on Prozac after 3 months of Cymbalta failed to have an affect, and a brief and terrifying experience with Geodon. At first it pretty much numbed all of my emotions up, which, after feeling completely crazy on Geodon, was a very welcome experience. Eventually this neutral state of mind began to even out after about 9 months, and I was finally able to start enjoying life again. After two years, I was able to stop taking medication completely. This pill saved my life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 11:06 PM