User Reviews for Fluoxetine (Page 4)

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Bulimia 25 reviews 7 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 757 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking Prozac now for 20 plus years. Originally was told by MD that it would be temporary but my experience has been after trying to be off it for several months, that I need to go back on it. I put myself under depression but I had anxiety, too, after the birth of my first child. I developed a real neurosis about sleep, i.e., I couldn't shut my brain off at night and had insomnia, became afraid I'd never sleep again. Being on the lowest dose of Prozac helped me I would say, completely. At three weeks I despaired of ever feeling normal again and by the fourth week saw a real improvement, by six weeks was very happy and relieved. It may be losing its effectiveness somewhat after all these years."

Goodbyeblues January 5, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I've been on fluoxetine 10 mg for a week . I get panic attacks . My doctor first gave me lexapro I felt so sick with flu like symptoms. He changed me to prozac so far the symptoms are a lot lighter . My problem is I'm still having to to take xanex to stop the shaking . The doctor prescribed me 1.0 of xanex twice a day I spread it out cause it just makes me sleep . I don't want to just exist - I want to live . I hoping to see changes soon"

Yonaza (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I combine thid pill (20mg) with adderall 20mg and it has really helped me with the aderrall's withdraw (anxiety/desperation/bad mood/even suicidal thoughts). At first I didnt felt like it was doing something to me, but I have observed during this month that I no longer have panic attacks that adderall used to provoke in me"

College student (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This pill worked for me. I experienced tremendous weight loss. 216lbs to 204 in a month without trying. Happy every day. I can tell when the pill wears off because I get stressed. Pop a pill and 20 minutes later I can cope again. I have energy galore and I'm motivated to do everything. Total change from the depressed me. I feel like I'm myself again. A better me. No side effects except excess energy. I have a harder time falling asleep because my mind races with things I can accomplish or work on."

Aaron C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2015

For Depression: "Was on lexapro 10 mg for 3 months then 15mg for 2 month. Lexapro reached a point of not working. Switched to 20mg Prozac. No twitching or headaches or sick stomach. Find appetite has increased."

Alex Thompson (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for over a year, I finally decided to look for help because I was feeling really numb and hating my life, just feeling like a failure. I am on my 5th week and I am still waiting for my mood to improve, I read some people say it might take 6-8 weeks to start kicking in and I cannot wait to feel better and have positive thoughts again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated."

Latindude41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "About 2 years ago, I took 20mg Prozac for suspected depression for approx. 4 months. I experienced the slightest lift in my mood for about 3 days during the course of treatment. Otherwise, I experienced severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, random bouts of euphoria, and, worst of all, incredibly gruesome nightmares. I have no military experience and I am not in a medical/emergency field. I have never been exposed to blood/gore through anything except basic cable and an occasional scary movie. But, I just want to warn as many people as I can that this drug can cause the most brutal, disgusting nightmares a person can experience. I woke up sweating and crying/trying to scream hysterically. I stopped taking it and never looked back."

Amanda J December 15, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have taken prozac for one year and three months. It has helped me a lot. Right now I am weaning myself off of this drug slowly, but lately I have felt mild anxiety due to no sleeping. And also mild stomach problems. I'm not sure if its part of the withdrawal process."

chela31 December 12, 2015

For Depression: "I notice immediate results with taking generic prozac. It helps with a weird skin rash I had for years on the palm of my hand due to stress and it couldn't be treated. Also it helps with my hip pain. Helps me to think more rationally and calmly. It help me to lose noticeable weight loss and I can sleep through the night now. Which I hadn't been able to sleep through the night since I was a small kid if my memory serves me correctly. I am more up front and not as fearful and anxious. It almost I don't have to over think what iI want to say now. The only side effect I have had that I didn't like was I get a Little jittery while sleeping if I am waken by a loud noise. Or a strange noise. I think it may make me more alert."

FreerNmyMind (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am 18 years old and I am on this 40mg a day, I faint a lot at school and only at school. It took a while for the doctors to give me this. I have been on it for more than a year now and it does help sadly I haven't stop fainting but I use to go 8 times a day now I only go about 1 or 3 so I am glad this has helped me."

unknow December 11, 2015

For Depression: "I've been taking the meds for about about 5 months now and I can honestly say I first I was so happy, I felt like my live had purpose. More chatty, as before I suffered form major depression where I didn't leave me bed in 2 months and constantly tired to kill myself. But I could see everything much clearer. But I got too over happy on this drug and by about 9 weeks of taking it I felt depressed for a week but I carried on taking it, I went to the doctors as one day I was really happy and the other day I was really unhappy, and threw taking the medication I was they diagnosed with manic depression (bipolar disorder) worst thing I ever done?"

Lauriejones December 9, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started on 20 mg and increased to 40 mg for anxiety and depression. I cannot praise this drug enough for how calm it makes me feel. I feel like I can handle any problem, big or small with a clear head. Thank you Prozac for giving my life back to me."

TracyinOhio December 8, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "For the first time I've been on Prozac. I talked to my provider and we decided it was the best this is my second week. I didn't realized I suffered from OCD intrusive thoughts Now those are gone, I feel tired and sleepy which is rare on me, I am taking other meds as well so I do not know if I should attribute this to Prozac or not. So far seems like it was a good idea. I am monitoring my behaviours being mindful about what I am doing not in a OCD way though."

gibb December 6, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on and off Prozac for the last few years. I didn't think it was working, but after I started taking mental notes, I realized that I was doing much better on it. I have been dealing with chronic anxiety and PTSD which has, in turn, led me into depression. Based on my experience, I think it's important to note that depression lifting is not like flipping a switch. It takes time for the medicine to work. Now that I've been taking it routinely and not missing a dose, I've noticed that my "baseline" mood is MUCH better. It happens subtly like a thick fog slowly lifting. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but if you're not having side effects and you've only been on it for a short time, be patient and give it a chance."

CBEARS December 2, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "hi everyone, I went on Prozac about a year ago after I saw how well it helped my boyfriend. We met two years ago and I knew he was suffering but didn't know from what. He and I were soon diagnosed with OCD. I was so weary of taking any meds and especially any that said "weight gain as a side effect" because of my obsessive compulsive behavior with my appearance. one day my bf said its okay if you gain a couple if anything you need too said in the nicest way. So I finally gave in and started at 10 mg I later went up to 20 mg and I noticed I didn't seem to be beating myself up everyday maybe only every few days. I didn't gain any weight and it even helped with my binge eating disorder. it also helped my more "intense" feelings to "normal"."

berfella (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking this for almost 2 years now and I'd say it has helped me tremendously. I was on a few others before this and it just didn't work out."

Geekdad (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2015

For Depression: "Six months ago I (57 yr male) was severely depressed, difficult to think, difficult to move. My doctor put me on 40 mg fluoxetine daily, with 0.5 mg clonazepam for the first 30 days. After five days I felt the drugs were overwhelming. I was having a lot of anxiety with hypertension and tachycardia and felt really out of it. I cut the dosage in half (taking the fluoxetine every other day). By about four weeks in I was doing much better, able to think and move again. About four months in, however, I started getting the blood pressure spikes and rapid heartbeat again and just generally felt overstimulated, so I asked my doctor for the 20 mg size, and he agreed I could take it once every other day if daily was too much. This has worked "

brglfnk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have had depression for many years and I always avoided thinking about taking medication but I just started taking Prozac and it's already helping I'm more awake and everything seems brighter it's easier to get rid of negative thoughts and the weight on my chest is gone"

Female 15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "First week was hell, more anxiety and panic attacks. Had to leave work early one day for the anxiety, also left a family event early. But now... Starting second week and starting to feel like myself again! As long as things continue this way will be happy on this drug! Without the first weeks' side effects would give it a 10."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and anxiety, I have never felt more calm and in-control of my emotions. Usually every night I'd fall into a fit of thinking of self-harm, I have thought of them no more, I still get sad, but it's sadness, not full on depression. My anxiety has decreased so much, I still get nervous, but it is not even close to how bad it was. An added bonus, is for me, it makes me drowsy, so I get more sleep. I have never been so happy in my life. Prozac is a life saver."

sunflowersareyourbestfriend November 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: "I used to constantly think about food.. My thoughts would be racing whether to stuff my face or not eat at all. When I started 40 mg Prozac, it took a while and until I realized I didn't think about it anymore! Very glad my mind is off food for once!"

Pillz_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on this medication for around 12 years 60mg a day for OCD and depression, it got me out of a very very deep hole, got me back to work able to function got me back as a normal person, u fortuantly i used alcohol and recreational drugs aswell which made me riddled with anxiety and depression, im clean and sober 8years now and am still on the prozac, iv recently had a low episode and i was self medicating with my prozac as and when i needed, obviously this wasnt the greatest ideas and this has led me back to being depressed again but im back on 40mg of prozac a day, i may feel like i have gone back to the begining of it all but i havent iv just had a little set back in my recovery, all in all prozac for me is a life saver"

Taximan42 (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I noticed a difference in the first week. It was a positive difference. And then about three weeks later i began to feel how i felt again, and I told my parents and i think that i need more than the 20 mg's that i'm on currently. But overall I think this drug works very well and you need to find the correct mg's for your body."

Looney420 November 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I lost my sexuality from the first pill, overnight it went from 100% to 0%. Was told it was a common sideeffect, so I continued using Prozac (called Fontex here i Norway), after a while I didn't want thouse sideeffect so I stopped using. But my loss of ibido and ED continued. Now 3-4 years later my problems is still the same, doctors refuse to belive me, but I'm certain, I had very high sex drive before my first Prozac/Fontex pill. No I can't keep my erection more than 5 seconds and my penis often feels numb. This pill should have been illegal. (Sorry for my poor english)"

Interstellar5555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I have been on an SSRI journey since I was 21 years old and am now 43. I was abruptly taken off of Paxil which was an absolute nightmare. However, I was consoled by the fact that Prozac was replacing it and have read that Prozac can actually be used to treat Paxil withdrawal. I am about seven weeks in and I feel like this might have been the right drug for me all along. My mood is level (if not maybe too up for brief periods) however my anxiety is way down and I find myself coming to be on a first name basis with all of the retail people I see on a very regular basis! This is huge for me as I have a thirty year history of social and generalized anxiety. That being said, I am working as well with CBT and I think more importantly meditation."

Sully2986 November 17, 2015