User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

6.1
Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.8
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 439 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Review by bradstreetbassler:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication saved my life!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by dannyboy35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been depressed, with high levels of anxiety for ten years. I tried several different medications and I finally settled with an anti-depressant to help with sleep, and also was taking 3 Klonopin a day as well as trazodone at night for sleep for seven years. So I'm really thinking I may be on all these medicines for life and maybe be put on disability. So the doc finally put me on Prozac. It's been 2 months now and my anxiety has gone way down, I am less depressed, I no longer worry about things and am off trazodone and don't take Klonopin anymore. I have great dreams and wake up every morning with happy songs in my head, and I'm much more social. Prozac has just been a blessing, probably saved my life as I had lost all hope.

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Free-at-last:

For Panic Disorder: I started on fluoxetine ~4 yrs ago in high school. My panic attacks came sparingly and I fought it out for around 6 months. I noticed a difference 2 weeks into starting fluoxetine. I used to get a panic attack and almost always throw up. This is not the case anymore. I'm on 20mg and I do great. I'll get heightened anxiety maybe once every couple of months. The best I can describe panic attacks now is a "buzzing" feeling in your brain. Most of the time I can just breathe and it will go away. I have noticed no side effects.

December 3, 2013 11:19 PM

Review by Better now (taken for 10 years or more):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: It obviously affects everyone differently. I've been taking Fluoxetine for about 10 years 20mg per day. Yes it has some side effects which are difficult to anticipate and manage, it can make me overly excited, and at times a little euphoric, which arrives quickly making it difficult to contain. On the other side I suffered from manic depression and I used to happily go into a black hole in a blind rage, and the medication just stopped that completely so I feel like it's a very positive trade off. I do get very sleepy, and tired so honestly I just sleep more? I tried reducing my dosage a couple of times over the years I've been taking this but could not handle the withdrawal.

December 3, 2013 3:39 AM

Review by tough start but now happier:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was suffering from anxiety and stress primarily but also from depression. I have been taking fluoxetine for about 5 weeks. The biggest thing for me has been some pretty heavy side effects in the first two weeks. The side effects were headaches, nausea, insomnia and less so, some agitation. I started on a 20mg daily dose for nearly two weeks, but when I complained about the side effects, my doctor cut the side to 10 mg per day. I took 10 mg for two weeks after that and was then able to go back up to the 20 mg dose. The side effects have subsided to a very minor level. I have also noticed a decrease in my anxiety and stress levels, I started noticing an improvement in symptoms after 3 weeks.

December 2, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by Pascal83:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder ever since I had my period. I would cry for no reason, lose focus at work, get anxiety attacks. It affected my daily life with mood swings, I would be this way for around 14 days before starting my actual period. The doctor prescribed me fluoxetine 10 mg to take 14 days before my period. I had taken Prozac in the past for what I thought was depression which was really bad PMS PMDD. So I took the Prozac for 14 days before my period and I was feeling much better. Prozac truly does help.

November 25, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by Ashb2000:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had very bad anxiety and was prescribed Prozac. I found the initial side effects very difficult and didn't feel quite right for some time and was constantly doubting the medicine. However, after eight weeks of taking it, the side effects have subsided and I feel back to my usual self. What a relief. If you are finding it tough, hang on in there, I'm sure you will get there.

November 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by Amy11:

For Depression: I'm 19, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and told to take fluoxetine. I have been on it for 3 weeks and since then I have stopped having panic attacks but have experienced some horrible side effects, including headaches, vomiting, heartburn (that lasted hours), insomnia, fits of giggles, lethargy, muscle aches, loss of libido, dizziness, sensitivity to light and a general feeling of not being altogether. So, the medication has stopped my low mood and constant anxiety, but has made me feel ill.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2013 11:25 AM

Review by xzombieLaura:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Doctor prescribed me Prozac & asked that I attend group therapy to help any underlying issues. My depression came out in the form of anger - EVERYTHING annoyed me for no reason. At first, I felt no different taking the medication. After a few months, my brother was the person to realize that it was working. He pointed out that we had been getting along & very little seemed to annoy me anymore. Side effects: I was in a haze. For example: I would be driving and could completely miss the street I was suppose to turn on to & wouldn't realize it until 3 miles later. Most people describe themselves as a zombie in this haze. With Prozac & therapy, I was on Prozac for about a year.

November 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by Daniellebb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Worked for about a month then I started sleeping 13-15 hours a night and lost all motivation.

November 14, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by DPenn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had my first major depressive episode in the late 80's when my first child was a toddler. I was put on 20 mg of Prozac and felt like I got my life back. However, it seemed to quit working and the next 20 years I went through almost every SSRI there is as well as a couple of common anti-anxiety drugs and none of them seemed to work very well. About 4 years ago I went back on Prozac and this time I was taking 60 mg for ocd. It has worked quite well but I think my body is getting used to it again. My doctor wants me to consider changing to Lovox. I had thought I had already tried that in the past but I have to do something because I feel like I am slipping into the abyss again.

November 13, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I absolutely loved Prozac. It helped me immensely! I noticed an extremely positive change in my mood and behavior after my body adjusted to the medication. Friends and family were surprised to hear that I was even on medication because of how relaxed and happy my disposition became. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I built my way up to 60 mg a day for almost a year. However, my body has become used to it over time and I'm having to change medications.

November 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I had been on Celexa for 2 years which caused weight gain, low motivation, sleepiness, and my anxiety came back full strength. Now 1 week on Prozac and I feel like myself again. High energy, good appetite, alert, no anxiety-basically I feel great! I was drinking 5 alcoholic beverages a day now I am not interested in drinking more than 2 a day. I am over 45 and my vision was beginning to slip when reading items close up. ever since I started Prozac my vision has improved and I can see things less than 6 inches from my face. Not sure why that happened but it did. Give it a try-you will get your life back.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Review by Slippers and pjs:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a teenager and I have had pretty severe anxiety for about 3 to 4 years. It stopped me from doing normal high school things, like going to dances, making friends, and going to parties because those kinds things terrifies me. I went to a psychiatrist and since my anxiety has been negatively effecting my life she prescribed me 20 ml of prozac once a day. This has seriously changed my life. I've tried all the natural medications and techniques that claim to work but nothing had worked for me. It took a while to kick in but once it did I became a whole new person. I've been so happy and can do things without worrying!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 9:57 PM

Review by Scottie Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I've suffered most of my life with a condition I thought was just one of those things. My mother took me to the doctor when I was in my teens and asked her to do something with me. In those days I was given Vit B complex, which did nothing. In my 40s the condition worsened again, and thinking nothing could be done, I ignored it. Out of sheer desperation and knowing that this really can't be normal, I approached my GP and was put on this medication. I didn't think it would work, it's an anti-depressant, how much difference could it make? I'm 2 months in and I wish I'd gone to my GP years ago. If you are reading this and wondering about this medication, then please at least try it. I have my life back and I love it.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by 1Taskin234:

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm 14. I started using prozac because I have OCD and anxiety. I am on day 4 with prozac and I feel like I've lost all my emotions and I feel a bit dumb. It's a wierd feeling. I really don't know how this medicine will turn out but all I can say is that right now I feel worse than I probably ever could. I cried three times yesterday. Is this normal to feel dumb and feel so sad and anxious and why does the medicine do such a thing at first? I know that my body is trying to get used to it and all but I am really curious about how this medicine works (tecnically). What is it trying to do? and will it destroy my emotions???and will I have to use it for my whole life or smth?

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by Wickedsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I just switched to Prozac and it is a life changer! I am no longer tired and my anxiety is controlled. Day 4 for now, and I feel 100% better than a month ago....

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 10:07 PM

Review by stable emotions (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Prozac for about 12 years. I'm a small person (about 5 ft tall, 115 pounds). I take 10 mg every other day. My Doctors say this dosage is a placebo, but I highly disagree. I use to suffer from mild, sometimes not so mild depression. Never have had it while I have been on Prozac. It just cuts off strong emotions. No rage, no crying, and sometimes no feelings! This is the only problem, I am basically numb on emotions. I only cry when things really hit me hard. It has to be hard! I must say, I love alcohol on Prozac, it only takes one drink to lighten me up. This drug has been a life saver!

October 30, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by Ket89:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: Prozac really worked for me. It kept my depression under control along with my anxiety. Only side affects is you can forget about sex!!! I also experienced short term memory loss.

October 29, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by Virgo85:

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on Fluoxetine (Generic for Sarafem) for exactly 2 years. This medication changed my life. I was hesitant to take it (or any medication like it) because I thought I was going to feel numb to my feelings/emotions and be a completely different person. I have been suffering from depression & PPMD for as long as I can remember. My doctor never picked up on it and I never realized how much it was affecting my life. I was moody, irritable, had no patience. I would cry for no reason, have panic attacks for no reason. I would wake up in the morning with that empty/dreadful feeling. Everyday was a struggle. Some days were much worse than others. I feel SO much better now. I really wish I started taking this sooner.

October 29, 2013 11:00 AM

Review by uhhhmmmm:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking 10mg prozac for 2 days. On the 2nd day my whole body ached like the flu and my throat is sore. I took Tylenol for the body aches and pretty much slept the whole day. Around 2am I started vomitting up bile until 5 am. Cold sweats, clammy and shaking. My dr. told me to stop taking the prozac but my body still aches so bad.

October 25, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Crash and Burn:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Anger management issues and depression had plagued me my whole life. I have been fired from many a job for the problems I would bring upon myself. I've been on Prozac 20mg for 10 years and it has changed my life. I was able to perform with minimal issues and my wife didn't divorce me even though she had grounds to so. WARNING! I couldn't get a renewal from my doctor because he stopped taking my insurance. So I tried to get another doctor but appointments were months away and went off my meds cold turkey. 6 weeks into the withdrawal I was fired from my job, of which I loved, because I had a meltdown. I was yelled at by another employee and I started to loose control. The bottom line was they escorted me out of the building.

October 24, 2013 6:17 AM

Review by Living better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I suffer from chronic anxiety with periodic bouts of mild depression for 20 years. I tried everything...acupuncture, diet, exercise, and 5-htp. Had a horrible experience with Zoloft and Paxil when I developed depression in college. I tried antidepressants for 2 months but with horrible side effects. As a result, I avoided medications to address my anxiety and/ or mild depression through the years. Unfortunately, my anxiety level became unbearable this past year. I tried the following: lexapro...5-10 mg absolutely horrible. Made me extremely tired, depressed and never reduced my anxiety level. Xanax: extremely helpful but still experienced agitation, stress, irritability, and anxiousness. Prozac: 10-20 mg. a life changer. I feel relaxed.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by Oddmolly:

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Bulimia: I have suffered Bulimia for about 10 years and at different stages was binging/purging up to 5 times a day. Over the years I have tried so many medications, but Prozac is the first to really assist. I started on 20mg, which has recently increased to 40mg. This is the only medicine/therapy that has dramatically decreased my impulse to binge/purge. I am feeling so happy within myself and it has really assisted with my depression and low energy levels too. One odd side effect I have noted is that I am yawning a lot, a small price to pay to being in control of my eating and mood. This is definitely worth a try if you are having bulimic symptoms and recommend it highly. Good luck.

October 16, 2013 7:10 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been on this medication for 3 months now. Mainly taking it to reduce PMS symptoms and it is working. The first few weeks I felt really tired, not hungry, and just all over weird. After the first month, those side effects subsided. I have not gained any weight and do not have those "moments of rage" I would get before my period. I don't plan on being on it forever but I will take it as long as I see fit.

October 15, 2013 11:51 AM