User Reviews for Fluoxetine

Also known as: Prozac, Prozac Weekly, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra

Learn more about Fluoxetine.

Premature Ejaculation 0 reviews 0 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

2.7
Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 53 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
PANDAS Syndrome 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Fluoxetine reviews 580 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Fluoxetine

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Been on and off Prozac for depression. Very effective for turning negative thoughts into positive ones, increased energy and motivation to get things done and get through the day, less fatigue from stress and worry, better sleep at night, better appetite, able to cope with life's stressors, feel like spending more time with friends and family and doing activities when not depressed, more social/talkative when not depressed, increased confidence when not feeling anxious or depressed. In better health, feel more in control of my life, more optimistic and positive."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Works great for: anxiety, depression, OCD, PMS, IBS, coping with stress, fibromyalgia, sleeping better, low immunity from stress, headache prevention, helps you think positive rather than negative thoughts. Negative side effects include daytime fatigue, dry mouth, agitation/hyperactivity, harder to orgasm, harder to feel in love/emotional numbness, vivid dreams."

Anonymous female (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I suffered extreme depression very much when my mum passed over and the doctor put me on these. They helped me think straight and think about all the bad things I'm still on them but only take one or two a week that keeps me happy and normal."

tomo15 February 22, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was diagnosed with parasuicide and major depressive disorder. I also suffer from obsessions, rather than compulsions, and have anxiety. This was supposed to be a cure-all for me until I started having VIVID nightmares that I thought only happened because I was maybe sleeping better. Turns out, Prozac made me lose sleep and I would wake up crying with my heart pounding. My brother had died, so having vivid nightmares related to him dying and other people dying was absolutely intolerable. I would lay in bed and cry because I was afraid to go to sleep. I would force myself to stay up so I didn't have to dream. It was a living nightmare. I had no idea that that was a possible side effect, and the medicine was put on my allergy list."

Horrid dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was on Paxil 40mg for years and my anxiety was very minimal. I switched to Prozac couple of months ago because I thought the weight gain and side effects from Paxil was too much. Now after about 8 weeks on Prozac 20mg my anxiety isn't getting better and I'm often dealing with anxiety/panic again. My Np tried to switch me from 20 mg daily to 40mg 3 days a week but I thought that was making anxiety worse. "

Paulied February 16, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I was on 10mg Prozac for general anxiety and panic attacks for 2 years. I had no side effects and my panic attacks decreased tremendously. However I recently started having them again so my doc worked me up to 40mg/day. I feel happy. But I feel like it is too much. I don't feel love anymore, and I feel like my emotions are so flat that although I'm not getting the panic attacks, I would almost rather deal with them than be unable to feel emotions. I have been dating a guy for 2 years, and all of a sudden after being on 40mg daily for six weeks I don't feel like I'm in love with him anymore. I can't tell if it is because of the medication or if it is actually me. I will be talking to my doc about decreasing my dose to 20mg."

Vizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "This medicine is life changing. Was always so angry around getting my period. Mood swings, crazy thoughts, like wanting to leave my husband for no reason. It saved my marriage, so much happier now. It's a blessing."

Hilifechanged (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Helps with depression and anxiety."

bkms (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I suffered panic attacks and anxiety most of my life but started having several a day after a move and job change. I tried Zoloft 25 mg first and had extreme jitteriness, nausea and shaking (sertraline reaction). My doctor switched me to a low dose of Prozac to start with (5 mg...half a 10 mg tablet). After 2 weeks he moved me to 10 mg but I had nausea and shakiness. He said to go back to 5 mg. I had to continue Xanax as needed for my first month. The attacks slowly became less severe then disappeared. 1 month now since an attack and I only take 5 mg. This has changed my life."

panic_bug February 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started with awful upset stomach, but that's now passed and we've progressed to a constant nagging headache that painkillers won't touch. Also feeling shaky with it, physically gittery- but these are all common symptoms so I'm sticking with it as in the long run these symptoms will fade. I'm on 20mg daily, my appetite has vanished so forcing myself to eat. Sleep is disturbed by weird dreams and general restlessness. So overall feeling exhausted. Sticking with it, feeling positive that once my body adapts I will feel the effects!"

Katezz124 February 2, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I honestly feel that this medication saved my sanity and my life. After going through an extreme amount of stress in a short time, and then having a miscarriage, I started having extreme panic attacks out of the blue. I was having them almost every day; one night I was laying in the couch for four hours shaking uncontrollably and thinking I was going to die. Finally saw a psychiatrist who put me on 20 mg of Prozac per day. At first, it made me dizzy and gave me headaches, and I couldn't sleep. I was ready to give up and try something else, but finally after about 6-7 full weeks, I started to feel better and the panic attacks stopped. Haven't had an attack in over 3 months and I feel like myself again. I am also taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin to sleep."

Relieved7 February 1, 2015

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "It works really well my mood and depression are better. My only possible complaint is a constant upset stomach."

Happy Seahorse January 27, 2015

For Depression: "This isn't a miracle pill but it does help. I'm a bigger girl was very depressed wasn't focused, couldn't and wouldn't do nothing lazy but this has helped me with my depression helped me lose weight and helped with my feelings. Love this I'm so clam and happy."

Jlo Marie January 24, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I started with a very low dose to treat depression - 10mg. I also had become quite the 'alcoholic'; binge drinking right down to the last drop. Had no motivation and lots of self pity. Prozac helped me recover my lost personality; gave me hope and curbed the drinking to full time sobriety. I take 20mg a day - I would suggest that folks give it two months before giving up. I'm glad I did. Nine months of no drinking and I work full time."

lorrelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2015

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am so happy that I finally received a diagnosis and treatment! Ever since I was about 19 years old (29 now) I have dealt with depression that came in waves. My anxiety and obsessive tendencies didn't begin until I was 22 and had the military. I always thought that the high stress situation just fed into my depression and caused anxiety and obsession. I finally decided to seek help and I was shocked to find out that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder which causes depression and anxiety. I started on Prozac and within the first 6 weeks I felt a rush of relief. I no longer obsessed over the smallest things. I feel so much happier and my friends and family notice the difference big time!"

piegirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "Keeps my moods within a normal range. It allows me to experience sad feelings and happy feelings Does not leave me with a blank face or blank feelings, like other antidepressants did."

Simone1013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been off Prozac for about 4 weeks now...after starting 2 years ago for a terrible depression/sadness/menopause. Wanted to take a Holiday to see what would happen. When on Prozac side effects like decrease sexual drive and slight weight gain, otherwise it put my menopause symptoms in control Decrease my hot flashes, helped my sadness, and gave relief for some mild OCD that I have had for years. Now when I am off the medicine I notice and increase in my OCD behaviors. Not concentrating as well at work. Sexual appetite is still not that great despite a wonderful patient husband (could still just be the menopause). Hot flashes have not really returned and I do not feel overwhelmingly sad. I will start Prozac tomorrow and see if it help with OCD."

Nord January 21, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Very good treatment option it was my first SSRI and I was taking it for Anxiety and other stress I couldn't handle, as well as some therapy and coping mechanisms this medicine is great. I take 10 mg and even that is enough to get rid of anxiety however it does make you lose your sex drive and can make you completely lose Interest in any sexual activity, but all in out its a good treatment."

Melvin am (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Had Panic attacks for 3 years until started on Prozac. Stopped after two weeks. Made a wonderful difference in my anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2015

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Sarafem (fluoxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I am totally shocked, but it actually worked. Extremely well. If only I had discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend...."

Tiffanee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I can't believe it, but this actually worked. No more crazy breakdowns before my period that damage my life irreparably. If only I'd discovered this sooner I might still have a boyfriend."

Tiffers1 January 3, 2015

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "I used to have horrible nightmares, couldn't sleep sometimes because of visions in the dark, occasional sudden bouts of intense unjustified anger, etc. I've been on Prozac more or less (I'm not great about taking the pills) for 10 years now. I probably average 20 mg/day over time. If I stop taking it for several weeks, I will notice the angry spells starting to come back, etc, and that's my cue that I need to start taking it again. It has been very helpful for me. It's not a cure all, and maybe the highs of life are not as frequent, but they still come. And I'd rather have that and contentment than the awful lows. No free rides, but I enjoy my friends, exercise, family, and relationships. Overall, a Godsend for me."

CaliforniaGuy77 December 22, 2014

For Depression: "I have bipolar and was put on 750mg of Depokote and 5mg of olanzapine, I later started suffering from depression so my psychiatrist put me on fluoxetine. All I can say is this medicine saved my life, I cannot believe the difference, I am a much happier person. I tried taking fluoxetine without olanzapine and couldn't sleep so went back on olanzipine at a low dose."

Tiger beck (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2014

Prozac (fluoxetine) for Depression: "On 10 mg I stopped blushing, thought I became social. It helped for social anxiety even though I was taking it for depression. I don't know though, because I had panic attacks, muscle stiffness (dislocated my shoulder), was manic, heard vioces on 20mg. 20mg was extremely intense, blew my anxiety way up. Very scary."

eh11111 December 20, 2014

For Depression: "This is by far the best antidepressant I have ever taken. I took 10 mg brand name only and it completely took away my depression. It wasn't a "happy" pill; it just helped me to cope with the normal ups and downs of life like a regular person. It helped me to see that things that used to send me into suicidal despair, were really not the end of the world. I was more confident and assertive, it helped me to take baby steps out of the black pit I was in before, and try new things and be social again. It did turn out that I had some kind of allergy to the pill, which is the only reason I quit taking it. I would highly recommend trying brand name only, start out on a low dose and hang in there for 6 weeks before you decide if you like it or not."

PsychGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2014