User Reviews for Symbyax

Learn more about Symbyax.

Depression 12 reviews 75 medications

9.2
Bipolar Disorder 21 reviews 48 medications

8.6
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Symbyax reviews 33 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Symbyax

Review by dw1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was self medicating myself after my mom passed away. I was abusing pain pills, I had panic attacks and stayed depressed. I was mean and thought everyone was out to get me, bad with money and did not have time for my wife and two boys. I stayed ill but after a week of taking it I changed on happy no more mood swings. My wife said she can tell a big difference we always together now and I get along with everyone feel way better the only bad it's hard to get off during sex, everything works fine just can't finish not sure why.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 3:17 AM

Review by krissyb (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medicine is wonderful so far and only been on it for 4 days. I already see improvements. I gave it a nine so far because I am still having some brain fog and headaches but hopefully that will go away. I have tried numerous medicines for major depression that has been going on 9 months with no relief. Well this has totally helped. I just hope things keep getting better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2013 10:28 PM

Review by LunaB (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: This medicine is really a lifesaver. Nothing worked. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. A stint in a psychiatric hospital left them fighting over whether I was borderline or bipolar. I went through a real bad, horrid suicidal period. I just sobbed to my doctor, and he put me on this. I think I may have felt tired on this medication at first. But the changes were AMAZING! I could stay up all day, laugh and smile like I USED to! I had energy and motivation! This medication changed my life so radically and made the dark cloud go away! I stopped crying all the time. The suicidal thoughts went away. Just beware, I was very skinny and gained 83 pounds.

August 31, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I don't get majorly depressed any more or suicidal. My only problem is being so tired all the time. I used to work a lot and be up for days sometimes and required only 3-5 hours of sleep per night. Now sometimes I do nothing but sleep for as long as 5-6 days only getting up to eat, shower and use the bathroom. My energy level has gone from 9 to 3 on a good day. Marriage is in trouble too. I've had dosage adjustments all over the place and am back to my starting dose of 3/25. 6/50 was the worst. Now taking an additional 20mg of fluoxetine during the day but it doesn't help so I'm stopping that. I'll stick with the lowest dose and start drinking coffee or something to get me going. I'm a 52 year old male in good shape. No reason for the tiredness.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2013 1:01 AM

Review by Hanging in there.:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medication for over 4 years now. I was able to go to Nursing school and have been working in the field now for almost 2 years. I'm less anxious, I don't get frustrated. I'm calmer. I did gain almost 60 pounds. This has been an issue for me. I also noticed that I'm not in tune as much spiritually which is an issue for me. I stay on the medicine because I have never functioned as well on anything else. I don't cry much, seems like my emotions are hidden somewhat. I'm not sure I like that. I have thought about getting off of the medicine for a while just to see what happens, but afraid of what might happen, so I continue to take it. All in all it has been a good experience.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by Mr.Satisfied (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: After years of feeling as though I were slowly losing my mind to ruminations, agitation, depression, lack of focus and general brain-cooties, it finally dawned on me that I was bipolar and I sought treatment. You may read the other positive reviews on here and think they could be written by manufacturers, but you may be underestimating the efficacy of this medication, it is truly amazing. I feel like I did when I was a younger man, before mental illness took hold in my life. My mind is unencumbered and clear. I feel normal! I still can get sad, I still get annoyed by things, I still feel enthusiasm, but it's tempered, appropriate emotion. Symbyax is great. Try it. Minimal weight gain, by the way.

May 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Review by pito1982:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Symbyax a few years ago for a month. It was great made me feel happy again and happy about life. Since I suffer real bad mood swings and other stress related issues I stop taking it and it and have not been good without it. Started taking it again. The only knock is you get a crazy appetite and can gain weight if you don't workout and Cotton mouth for days but other than that its a miracle.

February 13, 2013 12:53 PM

Review by ~My Girl Friday~:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Symbyax for over 5 years, off and on, but consistently for the last 3. I have found that when I'm on it, I feel like me again. I am not moody, snappy, or self-destructive. When I was manic I engaged in promiscuous activity, large spending and shopping sprees, when I didn't have the money I would turn to stealing. When I was down I could be bed ridden for days, sometimes weeks. I would not go into work, was suicidal and ultimately hospitalized on different occasions at my worst. I was started on many different medications and combinations, but also being an epileptic (also caused some depression) my Dr's and I had to be careful with medicines Symbyax, Depakote, and Trazodone worked! I feel great.

January 11, 2013 7:38 AM

Review by tbi2:

For Depression: Have been on it for about two weeks now, so far so good. The only thing it did good for the first week on my panic disorder but unfortunately the panic attacks came back. I am on the lowest dose available so hopefully if the doctor ups it, it will take care of it. As for the depression it has worked good.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2011 2:27 PM

Review by Nightshaded:

For Depression: I created this account just to tell my experience with this medicine. I literally had almost given up on life. My depression and anxiety were on a downward spiral and it was destroying my quality of life, relationships and school. I have tried almost every kind of medicine possible to include Effexor XR, Adderall, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac alone. Within a week, I have never felt better in my life, I'm a new person. My head feels clear, calm and optimistic. I take it before bed, which knocks me out. I love it because my racing mind kept me up all the time. At first its hard to wake up, but now I wake up alert and chipper, before I literally would sleep for two days straight. This has changed my life so much.

September 25, 2011 6:34 PM

Review by Happy Customer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Symbyax for almost two weeks. It has been a tremendous help. Only thing I'm worried about is the cost! But this seems to be my wonder drug, I'm happier, healthier, more energetic, on and on. It's amazing! Only problem I would say is I sleep like a rock and it's hard to wake me up, so that can be a good and a bad thing. Good because I need more sleep, bad because if something were to happen you wouldn't be able to wake me up! I still love it though. 9/10 for inability to wake up and cost. I've been on several other medications for months waiting for it to take effect. On this one I felt better after 4 days.

August 25, 2011 7:31 PM

For Depression: I have been taking Symbyax for 2 years. It saved my life! The biggest problems I have are no energy, weight gain, and the cost. Would I quit taking it? NO!

July 22, 2011 2:41 PM

Review by Steve Boykin:

For Depression: I have been on oxycodone and NSAIDS for 4 years now due to chronic back pain. The past few months it was difficult to lay down and sleep. So my primary doctor decided to try some antidepressants to see if that helped me sleep. Started out with Cymbalta and that had way to many side effects for me, plus it didn't help with the sleep. Then he had me try Symbyax first at 3mg then try the 6mg. The 6mg was too much but low and behold the 3mg not only helped me to sleep but I sure could tell I was in a better mood than before.

April 25, 2011 9:17 AM

For Depression: A life changing medication! I have tried almost every antidepressant out there, combinations, the works. I never realized how ineffective they were until now. I was on Prozac alone and it wasn't doing anything but keeping me up at night. I was completely hopeless about two weeks ago. So hopeless I thought I needed to be committed. My psych doctor called this his "nuclear weapon". I didn't believe anything would help, but the difference is unbelievable. It does increase appetite so I couldn't give it a 10, but this is one amazingly effective medication for me!

February 9, 2011 7:14 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Miracle medicine. I am not the same person. My mind stopped racing, thought I had OCD but that hyperness is gone. I am easier to be with and around, sleep better. Have had no weight gain. I forget a bit more it seems but can live with that. Don't snap at people, calmer, overall just better.

February 2, 2011 8:50 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Symbyax for 3 weeks. I cannot believe the difference its made in my life. I was always against anti-depressants since all I had tried made me feel worse. I haven't had energy or motivation like this in, I cant remember how long! It is hard to wake up if I take it too late in the evening. I'm afraid of the weight gain but I think it would be worth it. I am only giving it a 9 since it is so expensive and I have no insurance.

November 23, 2010 7:47 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Helps against sadness, and strongly counters moderate urges to drink at a stressful, confusing time in my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2010 5:05 AM

Review by Mr. Ed:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking this medication for over a year. One excellent side effect is that my insomnia is gone. I almost gave up on trying antidepressants as nothing seemed to work for me. Then I was prescribed Symbyax and my life changed for the better in just a few days! This medication is definitely worth a try if you have depression or bi-polar disorder.

August 11, 2010 3:11 PM

Review by timmay:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar I, four years ago. I have been on Symbyax for two years. This medicine is really awesome but after a while it loses effectiveness. Will see about increasing dosage.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2010 1:06 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: The first couple of weeks I was flying high on this medicine. The high does eventually come down, but overall I am able to function much better in my everyday life. The weight gain is an issue. If I wasn't a pretty lean person already the weight would be an issue. Thankfully the weight gain has been good for me. The only thing is, I wish, the sweet cravings are unbearable at times. I could eat two pints of ice cream in a sitting--I know scary. For now, the medicine is working. I am not a big on medicine but I would have to say it is doing the job. Good luck to anyone who is skeptical, as I was at one time. But if life can me a little better, why not?

November 15, 2009 10:04 PM

For Depression: Awesome medicine. I was so depressed I thought I'd have to be shipped off to an assisted living facility due to my gross inability to care for myself. I am back to work, and clear minded, and don't feel as crazy as I once did. I am grateful for this medicine.

September 3, 2009 11:12 PM

For Depression: Have been taking this for two weeks. My children and husband can tell what a difference it has made, though I have been much harder to wake up in the morning. That is the reason I rated it a 9. I do sleep better, focus better, but one issue, I am having trouble remembering what I have done in the evenings after I take my medication.

September 2, 2009 9:04 AM

Review by happypillz:

For Depression: I agree, this medicine is a wonder drug. For years I thought I was going to be depressed for the rest of my life. This drug changed that thought pretty quickly.

July 6, 2009 1:57 PM

Review by Times2:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on this for several months and my mentality improved 100%. I have not felt so good in years. I was absolutely amazed by this medicine. I am only giving it a 7 for the simple fact that not only did it cause weight gain, but my ankles and fingers stayed swollen and was painful. I tried taking Lasix to get rid of the swelling, but it just never worked. I really hated to come off this medicine.

June 17, 2009 3:07 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I tried several medicines before finding success with this one. My depression and mood swings are under control, and life is manageable. My friends and family tell me that I'm much more enjoyable to be around now. I feel that this medicine saved my life. The only negative effect it has is that I'm hungrier and have gained some weight. I've just had to make adjustments in my diet to eat healthy, but this is a good thing for my overall health too. I feel so great on this medicine that the negative effect is worth it.

June 10, 2009 10:56 PM