User Reviews for Allegra

Learn more about Allegra.

Allegra review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 559 medications used in the treatment of Hay Fever.

Reviews for Allegra to treat Hay Fever

Review by Dacamille:

After about 4 years of terrible hay fever, lasting from about September to May, I have finally found my cure! I have tried countless allergy medications, including Zyrtec. None of them seemed to work until my doctor finally told me to try Allegra 180mg. I have not experienced any side effects, except I did have a sore throat about a week after starting Allegra. I definitely recommend this product.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 4:52 PM

Review by Mother/Nurse (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My 2 yr old had been suffering from indoor and outdoor allergies since she was 9 mo old. We found Allegra suspension and it works quite well along with her taking Singulair. If she misses a few doses we can tell; her eyes itch and she gets congested. Just started to find the suspension in a larger bottle, so this keeps us from running out. Thanks!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 10:14 PM

Review by Zoboyobo:

I've never encountered hay fever allergies prior to this spring, so as soon as it all began, I decided to do some research. Allegra looked like my best bet because it claimed that drowsiness was not a side effect, and I was told it would work quickly! I decided on the 24-hr. I have yet to notice a difference and have not been sleeping very well!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2014 10:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It worked very well for my allergies but the problem was I couldn't function due to extreme dizziness to the point of vomiting. I cannot take it so I'm taking Zyrtec.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 12:16 PM

Review by mikel52588:

I've gone through Zyrtec, Claritin, Xyzal, and Allegra has been the most consistent for me. Doesn't cause any drowsiness either, although I do take it at night.

October 5, 2013 3:31 PM

Review by #clearingmythroat:

Allegra stops the drainage and the annoying need to clear my throat (post nasal drainage). But I'm dizzy these last couple weeks since I've started it. I have a mild sore throat and headache, which I experienced previously when trying Allegra. I feel tired, nauseous and have had a strange tingling in my legs occur twice this week. I'm thinking Allegra is not a good choice for me, despite its effectiveness.

May 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Review by Sebbe (taken for less than 1 month):

God bless the one who invented Allegra! I had been snoring all the time even during summer and I felt my nose was wet and tickled me all the time. I tried everything to stop that instantly snoring problem when I took only one pill it just stopped. I didn't snore or sniff a whole day, and before that, a day without sniffing would be a miracle. I didn't even have to wait one hour it just work direct!

May 10, 2013 6:42 PM

Review by Nikita Mosley (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been suffering from THE WORST hay fever for 3 months. I'd been to 5 different doctors and have been on umpteen different meds. Finally, the last doctor suggested I try Allegra. Within the first few hours I was feeling wonderful! Allegra is a fast acting, powerful medicine! So thankful for a doctor who knew his stuff! This will definitely be bought every allergy season!

April 4, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Joecr:

Best allergy medicine I have tried. Works for normal allergies, and even helps with rashes and other allergic reactions.

February 13, 2013 6:33 AM

Review by JLW79 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had bad allergies my entire life and was given many different medicines to try. This is the first medicine that actually worked for me. I took one 24hr dose yesterday at 4pm and today at 10am my nose is still clear. The only problem I had was that my blood pressure spiked up to 146/93 from a normal range of 120/70. During that time I had a terrible headache and felt extremely dizzy. I went to bed and woke up to recheck my blood pressure. It was still elevated at 127/86 and I still have a slight headache, but I can breathe.

August 16, 2012 10:55 AM

Review by Ithaca (taken for less than 1 month):

Allegra 24 hour helps my hay fever symptoms. But, this medication dries out my lung tissue to much and makes me cough. I have been off Allegra for a week and I am still coughing and have LOTS of non infectious mucus coming out of my lungs. My lungs hurt from coughing. I am 62 year old female with mild asthma.

June 15, 2012 3:30 PM

Review by Mschnicke (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking Allegra for over a decade when it was only available on prescription. Over the years my insurance company forced me to try all the allergy medicines that went OTC in hopes that they wouldn't have to continue to pay for Allegra by prescription. However, nothing ever worked for me like Allegra. The other drugs caused side effects that I could not tolerate. I have no side-effects from Allegra what-so-ever. It has been a miracle medication for me and my year-round allergies.

May 16, 2012 4:41 AM

Review by Johns47:

Allegra does not help my hay fever . I still have a running nose, itchy throat, and itchy eyes.

April 12, 2012 8:23 AM

Good so far. This is my first use of the 180mg tablet. Since this has been a mild winter, I have been fighting allergies and bronchitis for months. Tussionex and Cheratussin neither one worked. I'm still coughing, but not at much. The only problem is, I can't go to sleep at night.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2012 12:18 AM

Allegra has done the trick for me for years. My only disappointment is the expense of the 12-hour dosage now that my insurance company doesn't cover it anymore. It's a better deal to purchase the 24-hour dose but I don't like taking a higher dose of medication if it isn't necessary.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2011 3:21 PM

Review by Larrk:

I love Allegra for my allergies because it doesn't make me drowsy. This week it went to an over the counter medication so my insurance won't pay for it anymore.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2011 7:29 PM

I used to take Seldane (worked great) until they took it off of the market and replaced it with Allegra. 180mg dose of Allegra (NOT Allegra-D) does not provide all day relief if I spend extended time outdoors during allergy season. However, 240mg dose works great. 240mg dose is one 180mg tablet (once daily) at start of day plus one 60mg tablet (12 hour product) before going outside.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2011 6:32 PM

I've suffered from allergies for years, but all other allergy medications either make me very drowsy or don't work well. With Allegra, I have NO side effects and feel 100% better after taking it. I am so glad that I finally found something that really works for me!

April 23, 2011 9:58 AM

Review by AA12:

Very satisfied. Does what it claims to do and I don't feel any side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2011 2:18 AM

Works much better than other over the counter medicines. My allergy came back this time of the year, and this year got worse. My sneezing won't stop even to the point I get nosebleed. So I tried Allegra, it did suppressed all the sneezing for hours, however my nose still somewhat congested. When they mean "non-drowsy", they really mean it. I took other over the counter allergy medicines before, which they listed as "non-drowsy", but I constantly found myself falling asleep every now and then.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2011 9:53 PM

Review by bdalbrecht:

Recently I have been having VERY bad allergies and went to the doctor. She said that I should try Allegra (not Allegra-D) and that it is available over the counter. I went to the store but could not find any adult 12 hour Allegra. This disappointed me because I knew the 24 hour pills usually don't work. I went ahead and bought the smallest package of pills I could get (5) of the 180mg dosage. I took one and it cleared up my symptoms and made me feel better but that night I woke up after about 4 hours of sleep and could not get back to sleep. I didn't take one the next day as I wanted to get a good nights rest. Yesterday I took another and the same thing happened again. I just want to SLEEP!

March 29, 2011 6:10 AM

Review by nivas:

Allegra is really good at working for hay fever but I have been using antidepressants for about two years and I am having some sleeping problems now. Using Allegra is making it hard to get to sleep early.

August 13, 2010 5:09 AM

Review by Julie's mom:

I suffer from chronic sinusitis caused by allergies. I also had a bad case of bronchitis a year and a half ago and 3 respiratory infections since. I have tried a bunch of antibiotics, Claritin D, Zyrtec, Bendryl, Mucinex, Singulair, cough syrups and other OTC decongestants, herbal supplements, steroids, and the Neti Pot. Only the Neti Pot helped me feel better for an hour or so and washed away a lot of the allergens but the sinus inflammation and bronchial irritation due to post nasal drip returned fast. I just started using Allegra 3 days ago and the difference is remarkable. I can breath again! I also sleep better and I don't feel tired all the time. I have not experienced any side-effects so far.

December 20, 2009 11:13 AM

Review by K_W:

I started having horrible allergy/sinus problems in April of this year. I was having horrible migraine-like sinus headaches every single day. I tried EVERYTHING: Benadryl, Tylenol Sinus & Congestion, Sudafed PE, Advil Sinus & Cold, prescription Claritin, and a whole lot of natural remedies such as Apple Cider Vinegar (horrible taste ugh) and Cayenne Pepper. Then the doctor gave me Allegra D-24 hour and I was cured within an hour! It was amazing! I recently ran out and on day 2 my horrible headaches were back. I went to the doctor and she refilled my Allegra D-24 hour and I was feeling normal again in an hour! I highly recommend this! (The Allegra D-12 hour did not work for me only the 24 hour version.)

November 24, 2009 11:27 PM

Review by riparyan:

Allegra is the only allergy medicine that helps me. Other prescription or over the counter medicines just seem to mask the problem, and they do not even do it that well for me. My insurance company (Aetna) stopped covering it last year and I decided to use other brands because of the price of Allegra. Next year I think I'll pay the money for the Allegra.

September 9, 2009 9:52 AM