User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was prescribed Metformin 1000mg twice a day and Glicazide 40mg 4 times a day. I took this for 4 years but constantly had an upset stomach and my blood sugar readings were always between 10 and 15 mmol/L and I was gaining weight even though I eat healthy foods. I was then advised to take Actos 30mg once a day instead of Glicazide. Although this helped initially my readings were still high and I was gaining weight. I then saw a Diabetic Consultant and he suggested trying Bydureon 2mg injections once a week. I have been on these for 9 weeks now and my readings are down to 5-6 mmol/L and I have lost 1st 2lbs and feel much better. I get occasional nausea. I have to pay for the injections and they are expensive but well worth the money."

Ceryl July 27, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon helped me get my A1c numbers down. If I would just follow the rules and eat right, it could do wonders. Also, for those getting the nodules at the injection site, put an ice pack on the site for about 15 minutes and you will probably not get a knot. Works wonders for me."

Hobie1958 July 26, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "My experience has being great. I have lost about 20 pounds in 2 months. Side effects: just mild nausea if I don't eat, loss of appetite. Glucose levels of 107 in the mornings vs 160. I do have the bumps on the injection sites. I chose my belly but I think I need to change sites. I am really happy with the results and would not change it for anything else. I was having a really hard time losing weight before and now it became really easy. My doctor also put me on a lactose free diet and it s working wonders for me. No more upset stomach or bloating."

Ariesrican July 21, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I had liver damage from Lisc/hcl so I became type 2 diabetic ..My M.D. put me on Bydureon to take the load off my liver to allow it to heal...I have dropped 18 lbs , my nurse pract/bydur rep taught me how to eat properly WATCH YOUR CARBS...NOT CALORIES!!! I was only eating between 1000-1400 calories a day and gaining weight. My NP taught me about carbs my 120 calorie snack had 110 carbs in it!!! As a diabetic I was only to shoot for 150 carbs a day..I did this... the weight is melting off my liver enzyme test came back perfect! after two years of fighting!!.. the Bydureon is working!! it did give me some heart burn,diarreah ,and lumps at injection site...but I feel this is worth it !! I have been on it for 6 weeks now! count your carbs!"

Lani55 July 21, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Lowers blood sugar but causes heartburn."

et in az July 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I am on my 5th week of taking Bydureon. So far I have had no reactions to my injection sites. I usually inject same time every Monday and I am good on the first day, but on the 2nd and 3rd day, i feel so nauseous that i can hardly eat. I also find that i have diareahea alot. I have not really lost any weight but have not gained weight either. Best of all I went from 414 (my highest blood level) to 99 (my lowest level) so far. So there is a major difference in my blood sugar. I can not wait to see what my A1C reading will be when i get my blood work done in a month."

rlockett (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Its been a week and took my second injection. My hungry is practically nothing and i need to remind myself to eat. Now my morning reading is 172 from 207 and after two hours its 135-145 range. I have lost 7lbs in one week! No side effects except some diarrhea. Im feeling better day by day. Switched my diet to less carbohydrates so i do not have a rollercoaster of numbers. Feeling less tired also. Will post more in a week."

LuvCereza (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Doctor decided to take me off Glipizide and replace it with Bydureon once a week (injection). Just started it so i can only say my appetite is nearly gone and I dont think about food all day. The needle was thick and left a slight mark but not a big deal. Didn't experience any nodules like he said i might but like i said i only have had one injection. No side effects as of yet. It does take a few hours to kick in. Woke up to 213 (7am) reading and was afraid to eat but ate a high protein breakfast for a diabetic and took my Metformin with it. Blood glucose came down only to 207 but by a few more hours of feeling like crap it came down to 173 and by noon it was 109. So we will see. Doc gave me months worth free."

LuvCereza (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon worked well helping my A1C level, 7.6 to 6.5. Also sugar levels went from 120-140 fasting to 90-110. After meals levels went from 180-220 to 140-160. I also lost 19 lbs in three months. After 3 months the side effects became too much to handle. Nausea and vomiting were constant. Woke up one night so sick I could not keep any thing down. Three hours later ended up in ER dehydrated. Have stopped taking bydureon two weeks ago but it still is in my system. Still nausea and upset stomach with sour taste in mouth. Results were great. Just couldn't handle side effects."

Merln June 3, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started 10 weeks ago and saw an immediate drop in my home testing glucose levels, from double figure mmol readings to 4/7mmol after fasting. I had no side effects at all for the first four weeks but subsequently suffered terrible nausea, overnight hypos, skin rash and the most revolting sulphur/egg-smelling burps (cured immediately by Alka Seltzer if anyone else has the same problem!) I've noticed no reduction in appetite (except when nausea has prevented me from eating at all) but had already reduced my intake to 1200 calories a day in an effort to lose weight. If anything, Bydureon is hindering my weight loss. I often see no loss after a week of eating like Snow White, which is disappointing. Overall delighted though."

AmandaUK (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "This is a follow-up to my review a few weeks ago. I experienced no side effects at all up until I had injected the fourth time. At that point, I began to have site itching, but I could live with that. The fifth time was two days ago, and I was startled to see that the injection site was angry and red about the size of a silver dollar. I still have itching, but the appearance of the site is alarming. I worry about future injections causing a serious reaction. There are also the lumps and nodules now. Think I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow."

KsusieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "Today was my first day on Byetta . I can't stand the nausea . Feel carsick, have a headache and jittery . I am on 5mcg hoping it gets better I'm supposed to take my metformin and glyburide too but sick. Not sure how I'm going to be able to work like this. If it doesn't get better in a day or two I will talk to my Dr"

mnorma1380 May 16, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took Bydureon for a little over 4 months. The results were disastrous. My A1c went up over 2 points, I had constant hunger, I was tired more than normal. It was extremely expensive. I had Pea sized lumps and red spots at the injection sites. I felt like I got some bad advice."

Jacktech (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've had 3 injections of Bydureon now, and after reading all the reviews, I feared I would have some of the side effects that have been described, such as nausea and vomiting, which I would not be able to tolerate. I am thrilled to say I've had NO side effects at this point, and my blood sugars have steadily been dropping. Not drastically fast, which may be the reason I've had no nausea, but the drop is noticeable. I'm very happy about that. I surely had hoped for help with weight loss like so many reviewers have said they have, but that hasn't happened yet. I have not noticed a diminished appetite, really. I try to walk 2 miles a day, which is no problem with the drug. I'm happy with Bydureon- just wish for help with weight!"

KsusieQ May 8, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydurean is working for me, albeit with a few side effects. The injection site lumps are an irritation that goes away after 6-9 weeks, only to be replaced by others. I hate the thick needle, but hate even more when the needle gets stuck and won't inject some weeks, and I need to re-inject. I get nausea when my sugar levels drop quickly, and especially go below 5.6 mmol/l , which happens after exercise. I have found this a good excuse for a beer with team mates, and have to have glocose/sweets available a period 1-2 hours after strenuous exercise (surfing especially). My weight has dropped steadily about 1kg/month without a change of diet, but I am just inclined to eat less. I have reduced insulin levels 50%, and don't use after sport."

Makaira (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "My endocrinologist gave me a sharp warning a year ago. He told me that if I did not lose weight immediately I would become diabetic and have to go on insulin. Through sheer force of will and terror I lost a lot of weight last year. My blood tests were looking fantastic. Unfortunately I just could not lose more weight this year. My doctor put me on Byetta a month ago. My mind is made up not to eat sugary foods or highly refined carbs. I have lost 4 kgs in a month. Since April last year I am 17kgs lighter and feel so many good effects. I am determined to lose another big chunk of weight this year. The Byetta definitely takes away the appetite. I literally can't eat too much. I think it's great. The side effects are minimal."

Colldoll May 2, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Started three weeks ago and great results pre blood levels 24 up to 29mmol now after only three weeks range from 7 to 15. Only side effect is slight naeusea 12 hours after injecting but nothing you can not put up with."

Lhasalady (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have used Bydureon for 2 years. It has been a God send. My A1C has went from 10 to 5.2. I watch my diet and exercise daily. Over the holidays I did eat more sweets than usual and my A1C was 5.8. So it has been a wonderful drug for me. I don't use insulin anymore. the only complaint I have is I get hot flashes like menopause. I am well over menopause by my hormone tests. I wonder if I am the only one with these hot flash symptoms? I call them my "Bydureon hot flashes""

Lindt Loo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had beautiful results on a different once-weekly but insurance company decided I needed to be shaken around, I guess, and will only cover Bydureon. Not nice. But I'm here looking for some encouragement that it will get better with time. Just started 3rd week and experiencing the following: Spiking sugars around 300, Elevated morning sugars 180-200, Unearthly hunger - all day. Feeling low sugar symptoms (hunger, shakes, sweats, vision disturbances) but readings of 170-180, Weight gain. No problems with injections or injection sites as I was told to expect. But the constant low sugar sensations is turning me into a recluse as I can't drive myself anywhere and I am very reluctant to go for walks or engage in any increased exercise."

Ramona318 April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Has anyone had hand and body tremors with Bydureon? My sugars are back in the normal range. I've lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm having tremors to the point where it's hard to hold a cup to my mouth to take a drink."

beefcake77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had to stop taking due to blurred vision; and large lumps on injection site"

peterbilt2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've been on Bydureon coming on three weeks, I just gave my third week shot today! The first week about five days and I got violently ill, abdominal cramps vomiting diarrhea. Contacted my doctor but he really thought that it was the stomach virus so he asked me to take it for one more week. Second week I had some light nausea but all went well. Just took my third shot this morning and I don't know if I did anything wrong but it burned going in and now there's a lump on my thigh The size of a pea."

Akmals02 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Started taking Bydureon 6 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks, blood sugars were lower by 15-25 points, no weight loss but happy with BS results. Week 5, began to be very nauseous on and off, being around food or cooking for family difficult. Could only eat bland, room temp/cold foods like half a bagel, granola bar, cereal, bananas. Everything else made me sick. Week 6, nausea much worse without stopping, could not tolerate smell/sight of food, especially meat. Weekend trip with family was ruined because I could not be in any restaurants. Vomited several times. Finally called my doctor and he took me off of it. Waiting to get it all out of my system. Will look for alternative drug."

MiMiTX April 10, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I'm in my fourth week of taking the med. I'm down 17lbs, my blood sugars have been reduced to where sometimes I have to reduce my night time Lantus or I end up with a low blood sugar event. I love this. I've struggled for years, read about this online, talked with my Dr. and now I'm on my way to getting better."

Seadog92 April 1, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have a A1C 0f 6.2. I am 265 pounds. I just started Bydureon yesterday my Dr. office gave me the first one free and I gave myself the first injection. I have had some mild nausea. I have not had the desire to eat very much and in fact went to bed without eating any dinner, had an overall odd full feeling. I am nervous because I have seen so many reviews of people that had a lot of nausea and vomiting, so far so good but it still worries me. I really want to lose weight and feel better."

Dawn K. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015