User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 118 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started 10 weeks ago and saw an immediate drop in my home testing glucose levels, from double figure mmol readings to 4/7mmol after fasting. I had no side effects at all for the first four weeks but subsequently suffered terrible nausea, overnight hypos, skin rash and the most revolting sulphur/egg-smelling burps (cured immediately by Alka Seltzer if anyone else has the same problem!) I've noticed no reduction in appetite (except when nausea has prevented me from eating at all) but had already reduced my intake to 1200 calories a day in an effort to lose weight. If anything, Bydureon is hindering my weight loss. I often see no loss after a week of eating like Snow White, which is disappointing. Overall delighted though."

AmandaUK (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "This is a follow-up to my review a few weeks ago. I experienced no side effects at all up until I had injected the fourth time. At that point, I began to have site itching, but I could live with that. The fifth time was two days ago, and I was startled to see that the injection site was angry and red about the size of a silver dollar. I still have itching, but the appearance of the site is alarming. I worry about future injections causing a serious reaction. There are also the lumps and nodules now. Think I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow."

KsusieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "Today was my first day on Byetta . I can't stand the nausea . Feel carsick, have a headache and jittery . I am on 5mcg hoping it gets better I'm supposed to take my metformin and glyburide too but sick. Not sure how I'm going to be able to work like this. If it doesn't get better in a day or two I will talk to my Dr"

mnorma1380 May 16, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took Bydureon for a little over 4 months. The results were disastrous. My A1c went up over 2 points, I had constant hunger, I was tired more than normal. It was extremely expensive. I had Pea sized lumps and red spots at the injection sites. I felt like I got some bad advice."

Jacktech (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've had 3 injections of Bydureon now, and after reading all the reviews, I feared I would have some of the side effects that have been described, such as nausea and vomiting, which I would not be able to tolerate. I am thrilled to say I've had NO side effects at this point, and my blood sugars have steadily been dropping. Not drastically fast, which may be the reason I've had no nausea, but the drop is noticeable. I'm very happy about that. I surely had hoped for help with weight loss like so many reviewers have said they have, but that hasn't happened yet. I have not noticed a diminished appetite, really. I try to walk 2 miles a day, which is no problem with the drug. I'm happy with Bydureon- just wish for help with weight!"

KsusieQ May 8, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydurean is working for me, albeit with a few side effects. The injection site lumps are an irritation that goes away after 6-9 weeks, only to be replaced by others. I hate the thick needle, but hate even more when the needle gets stuck and won't inject some weeks, and I need to re-inject. I get nausea when my sugar levels drop quickly, and especially go below 5.6 mmol/l , which happens after exercise. I have found this a good excuse for a beer with team mates, and have to have glocose/sweets available a period 1-2 hours after strenuous exercise (surfing especially). My weight has dropped steadily about 1kg/month without a change of diet, but I am just inclined to eat less. I have reduced insulin levels 50%, and don't use after sport."

Makaira (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "My endocrinologist gave me a sharp warning a year ago. He told me that if I did not lose weight immediately I would become diabetic and have to go on insulin. Through sheer force of will and terror I lost a lot of weight last year. My blood tests were looking fantastic. Unfortunately I just could not lose more weight this year. My doctor put me on Byetta a month ago. My mind is made up not to eat sugary foods or highly refined carbs. I have lost 4 kgs in a month. Since April last year I am 17kgs lighter and feel so many good effects. I am determined to lose another big chunk of weight this year. The Byetta definitely takes away the appetite. I literally can't eat too much. I think it's great. The side effects are minimal."

Colldoll May 2, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Started three weeks ago and great results pre blood levels 24 up to 29mmol now after only three weeks range from 7 to 15. Only side effect is slight naeusea 12 hours after injecting but nothing you can not put up with."

Lhasalady (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have used Bydureon for 2 years. It has been a God send. My A1C has went from 10 to 5.2. I watch my diet and exercise daily. Over the holidays I did eat more sweets than usual and my A1C was 5.8. So it has been a wonderful drug for me. I don't use insulin anymore. the only complaint I have is I get hot flashes like menopause. I am well over menopause by my hormone tests. I wonder if I am the only one with these hot flash symptoms? I call them my "Bydureon hot flashes""

Lindt Loo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had beautiful results on a different once-weekly but insurance company decided I needed to be shaken around, I guess, and will only cover Bydureon. Not nice. But I'm here looking for some encouragement that it will get better with time. Just started 3rd week and experiencing the following: Spiking sugars around 300, Elevated morning sugars 180-200, Unearthly hunger - all day. Feeling low sugar symptoms (hunger, shakes, sweats, vision disturbances) but readings of 170-180, Weight gain. No problems with injections or injection sites as I was told to expect. But the constant low sugar sensations is turning me into a recluse as I can't drive myself anywhere and I am very reluctant to go for walks or engage in any increased exercise."

Ramona318 April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Has anyone had hand and body tremors with Bydureon? My sugars are back in the normal range. I've lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm having tremors to the point where it's hard to hold a cup to my mouth to take a drink."

beefcake77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had to stop taking due to blurred vision; and large lumps on injection site"

peterbilt2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've been on Bydureon coming on three weeks, I just gave my third week shot today! The first week about five days and I got violently ill, abdominal cramps vomiting diarrhea. Contacted my doctor but he really thought that it was the stomach virus so he asked me to take it for one more week. Second week I had some light nausea but all went well. Just took my third shot this morning and I don't know if I did anything wrong but it burned going in and now there's a lump on my thigh The size of a pea."

Akmals02 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Started taking Bydureon 6 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks, blood sugars were lower by 15-25 points, no weight loss but happy with BS results. Week 5, began to be very nauseous on and off, being around food or cooking for family difficult. Could only eat bland, room temp/cold foods like half a bagel, granola bar, cereal, bananas. Everything else made me sick. Week 6, nausea much worse without stopping, could not tolerate smell/sight of food, especially meat. Weekend trip with family was ruined because I could not be in any restaurants. Vomited several times. Finally called my doctor and he took me off of it. Waiting to get it all out of my system. Will look for alternative drug."

MiMiTX April 10, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I'm in my fourth week of taking the med. I'm down 17lbs, my blood sugars have been reduced to where sometimes I have to reduce my night time Lantus or I end up with a low blood sugar event. I love this. I've struggled for years, read about this online, talked with my Dr. and now I'm on my way to getting better."

Seadog92 April 1, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have a A1C 0f 6.2. I am 265 pounds. I just started Bydureon yesterday my Dr. office gave me the first one free and I gave myself the first injection. I have had some mild nausea. I have not had the desire to eat very much and in fact went to bed without eating any dinner, had an overall odd full feeling. I am nervous because I have seen so many reviews of people that had a lot of nausea and vomiting, so far so good but it still worries me. I really want to lose weight and feel better."

Dawn K. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "I dropped a Jean size. My close relatives say they have noticed some weight loss results. The nausea is awful when I eat unhealthy food. So I stick to my fruits, vegetables and lean meat. I cut out bread, white rice and other bad carbohydrates out of my diet. I only have half a cup serving of brown rice. For breakfast, I choose to eat fruits as I am a full time university student and I don't need to feel nauseated. For lunch I have a small meal, then in the evening I either eat fruits/veggies or nothing. I drink so much water...I am always thirsty lately. Again, the water seems to drain out the nausea and occasionally diarrhoea from bad food choices. I will keep you updated on my journey! In all honesty, I feel so good now ."

Thato Lethokoe (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I love it. I've been on it since July 2014 since then I've lost 17lbs down from 240 to 223 yes I'm loving it. Only downside is the thick needle but I deal with it. My A1c levels are perfect ....it's working for me."

deechoko1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "Been on it for ten years sugars are normal now. Plus the first seven months I lost 100 lbs. In the 10 years since weight has stabilized at 90 lbs loss. NEVER came back. 5'7" 148 lbs, can eat too!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 17, 2014

Byetta (exenatide): "Been on Byetta for 2 years & it is fine except the nausea in the morning after the injection so my doctor told me to have it 15 minutes before my breakfast & it works wonders. No more nausea. I also have it 15 minutes before dinner also. My weight stays the same as I am not overweight."

Helani (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide): "Took first dose. Had some mild nausea and indigestion. Took second injection and within 24 hours was violently ill with horrible diarrhea and vomiting. This went on for 10 hours. I feel awful still and its three days later. Reported it to my Dr and Astra Zeneca. Both agreed it was the medicines and have advised me not take any more. "

Lilylou9898 December 6, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide): "Just had my second injection of Bydureon. First one went fine-just little bits of nausea. The second one was two days ago. Last night I woke up sick as a dog with horrible vomiting and diarrhea. I've been ill for hours and am now missing work. That makes me unhappy. Guessing it's the Bydureon but maybe stomach virus. Will check in with my dr today. Byetta I could not tolerate at all. I'm wondering if this one is the same."

Ellen c. December 4, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide): "I'm in my fifth week taking injections. I've been on 2000mg metformin daily for 4 yrs but my A1C has been creeping up over the last year (7.3 ) and my fasting blood sugars (morning) had averaged around 160 and almost never registering below 150 and too often above 170. Over the last 4 weeks my fasting sugars have steadily dropped. Last week they averaged 116 and this week they are averaging 107. I've experienced sporadic mild nausea and a reduced appetite (not as hungry as often and I fill up much faster). I'm not a fan of the injections but they're tolerable . I've not followed my weight (definitely not gaining) and we won't check my A1C for a couple more weeks."

EyeDocblood sugars (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had taken my 4th injection of Bydureon. No problems at the injection site but after my 3 injection began to feel sick all the time. No appetite at all not even coffee. Had persistent bloating, heartburn, and bad taste in mouth. Stopped craving sweets and carbs. A1c went from 8.5 to 6.3 in in 4 weeks. Blood sugars down from 166-180 to 120-125. Love the way this medication works but can hardly tolerate the discomfort in my belly and nausea. Not sure if I can continue or not."

Anonymous August 28, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Byetta (exenatide): "Was on the 5mcg and increased to 10. Had the usual nausea and lost about ten pounds. A1c leveled out in the high 6's to low 7's. Got ugly last fall/winter and dropped another 35 lbs. BMI is now normal with 65 lbs lost from an initial 235lb start. Have been having a problem with low (50'5 and 60's) sugars within 2 hrs of injection/eating. This started 3 months after the latest weight loss. I was forced to sugar load with glucose and fruits to counteract the Byetta and stopped it last week (just too dangerous. I am going to ask to be put on the time release and then adjust the Glucophage to try to get a stable dial in. Testing like a mad dog my fingers are a mess. If the time release doesn't cut it I will try going back to 5mcg."

muleemon (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 25, 2014