User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "When I can get the pen to work , I get great results.. but I have six pens that won't allow the plunger to dispense the med. This is hopeless."

Pen won't dispense February 8, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started taking Bydureon 8 weeks ago. My Blood Sugars were quite erratic. They have been steady at 119 to 154. Four weeks ago I developed a dry mouth. Drinking water all day. I lost 15 lbs. I went to the dentist for my four month clean and a wisdom tooth that was perfectly normal had to be extracted. I stopped taking Bydureon and I no longer have a dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide): "Took byetta for a number of years and started getting sugar "crashes" around 1 to 2 hrs after injecting so had to sugar up to counteract which was rather non productive. There was some fear that I would go low for a week when first starting but that didn't happen. Very stable A1c @ 6.25 like a rock for years. Do not eat full size meals or you can experience pretty nasty nausea when your stomach won't empty and the meal "ferments". I don't call the shot the core drill for nothing. Bleeding should be expected and the time release makes nodules which can work out through the skin surface with a small red bump which lasts up to two weeks. I keep a small led flashlight to eyeball (shine through) the pen ."

Mulee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide): "This med is horrible! I was on Victosa but my insurance stopped covering it and I was told this was the equivalent. So wrong. This burns horribly going in and uses a large gauge needle. I would rather give myself 5 or more insulin injection a day then this."

Lori j January 20, 2016

Byetta (exenatide): "As a prediabetic, I am anxious to not hit a "tipping point" into full diabetes. I asked my GP for Vitroza, but could only get insurance to cover Byetta. Three weeks later and 25 pounds less, I am thrilled. I still lap swim 3 times a week and lift weights with no hunger or sweet cravings. Also I inject in my thigh with no side effects. WHEW! Thanks Byetta!!"

upandready (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "I used Byetta just to lose weight in 2012. I lost 24pds then and really loved my size. After loosing the weight since I wasn't diabetic I got off of it. So many months later I started to gain the weight back. I decided to start back on it several times but it didn't work with the weight loss . I'm back on it again for a month now and I'm exercising with it but, hadn't dropped any weight. I'm on 10mg. I don't have nausea and when I did it lasted only a couple of days. Any one have any suggestions. Annoynomous"

Annoynomous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "This med is awesome! My a1c and all my other blood work now looks perfect. I have lost 43 pounds in 9 months. The med takes away all of your desire to drink sodas and eat sugary snacks. I found that I got lumps from the shot when I did it in my leg or arm, but not when I do it in my stomach. This is the healthiest I have felt in 5 years. Wish I had been put on this med sooner!"

Diabetes miracle med December 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on Bydureon for 7 weeks after fighting my doctor about using an inject-able for about a year. I have previously been on Metformin and Xigduo (still taking these) after adding the Xigduo my numbers actually went up. However after adding the Bydureon I have seen an amazing turn around. My fasting glucose has been between 190-210, now it runs between 113-149, depending on what I have eaten the day before. Even better is that I am down about 14 pounds. I told my doctor that I wish I would have agreed sooner, but the medication wasn't available before then. I did have diarrhea in the first couple of weeks but that has gone away. No nausea but I am not nearly as hungry, and most importantly I don't have cravings like before."

Momotwns (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took this with 3 injections and had the bumps/nodules which were itchy, but with my 4th injection it bled quite a bit and I developed a rash, swelling and bruising. When my doc saw it, she took me off. That night I was very sick in the middle of the night throwing up. I have lost 15 pounds in almost 4 weeks but I do not believe it's the meds...I was still very hungry and it took extreme discipline to do this, in motivation to get off the meds. I will do anything to get back to the weight needed without meds. For now, I'm going to try metformin for the first time."

Mar58 December 16, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "Started byetta in mid October 5mgs at first. Moved on to 10mgs from mid November. I almost finished that pen now but I have had no nausea or any other side effects, no weight loss, no difference in my food intake, no diff in my sugar levels. #sad face."

Fatzz December 15, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "This medicine saved my life sugar is now under control after major surgery and a poorly functional pancrease"

Saunde December 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "This drug is horrible and I'm about to go to the ER I think I have pancreatitis the doc said I'd lose weight but I've gained weight since I've been on it I've craved sugar like never before and if I don't get sugar I get super crabby and irritated and all I wanna do when I'm not crabby is sleep. The stomach pains is so severe too"

CrystalCcp8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Cloged needles. Just in the last two month; most be a new lot"

Hayshaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "My wife started a course of Bydureon in the summer. After 3 months she had not only lost weight but her A1C went from 9 6.something. She felt healthier and had no severe reaction. I went on it when I saw how it worked for her. It affects your appetite and you can avoid junk food without and compulsion to eat it. No problems at all except for constipation. I've lost 20+ pounds in three months and have gone down a few inched on the waistline. Very expensive drug with a month's supply being over $1600 but my insurance covered it for both of us."

68 year old diabetic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "This is what happen to me. On September 8th I used Bydureon Pen for the first time. Injection site use close to navel area as instructed. Produced one large bump that never went away. It is tender and can't sleep on stomach anymore. Have problems walking because it is too tender. Now will need operation to remove bump. Injection-site reactions. Serious injection-site reactions, with or without bumps (nodules), have happened in some people who use bydureon. Some of these injection-site reactions have required surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of injection-site reactions, including severe pain, swelling, blisters, an open wound, or a dark scab. Don't use this medication."

Steve51055 October 29, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "All was fine first week, a little nausea. Second week was fine as well but a little redness/itching around injection site. Third week injection site immediately started to turn into a giant hive across my entire abdomen and I broke out in hives in all other areas of my body. Went to ER and was taken off medication, but it took over a week for the serious reaction to stop. Developed 1 inch knots at all injection sites which lasted for a couple months. I've been off the meds for several months and still break out in hives around my waist and on my bra line. Prior to the first hive outbreak, I had never had allergic reactions to anything."

SBinMO October 28, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "Byetta has helped me lose 32 lbs in 63 days. I have kept my sugar levels in the 100 range since starting this medicine. I was 253 pounds at 5 foot 9. Diabetes was not something I ever thought I would get but my glucose numbers were in the 300 range and fasting they were 250! The doctor put me on byetta and metphormin. I will be honest, at first, I ate the same bad foods and was throwing up every time! Now, I keep my sugar grams to 22 grams a day and 110 grams of carbs. Once I controlled the sugar and carbs, the nausea stopped! You just need to re-train your brain! My eyes wanted to get lots of food but I couldn't eat it after byetta! Just know your body and if it's too much, tell your doctor."

Kellyboo3 October 14, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "On average one out of every pen will not inject into my body. They only give you one extra needle and I am constantly using it with the first injection, which leaves me with no extra needles for the other three weeks. I have gone three weeks without being able to administer the medicine because the plunger will not work. Either the needles get clogged or the plunger does not work. I am very frustrated on this medicine."

Wonderwomanliz September 15, 2015

Byetta (exenatide): "I switched to Byetta just over a week ago from novorapid insulin after some weight gain. From the start I have had some nausea but nothing I couldn't handle and I can't eat as much as I always seem full so I am starting to lose weight already so that is a positive. The negatives are that my levels are too high and this is causing my vision to be blurry and it is making it difficult for me to drive also in the morning I feel really lethargic which makes it difficult to concentrate at work. I have also noticed my skin feels dry especially my lips . I am due to go back to my specialist after 4 weeks but I am not sure if I will continue. I am currently on Byetta 5mcg morning and night and lantus 20 units plus metformin 1000 twice a day"

JET2966 August 29, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've been on Bydureon for 18 months, and used Byetta for 8 months before that. I switched from the Byetta because I couldn't handle the digestive upset any more, but the results were amazing. My a1c has come down to the 5.7-5.9 level consistently. Fasting BG is in the 80s normally. I haven't had any of the stomach upset with Bydureon. The shots are a pain and I don't think I like the pen very much since I can't control the shot as well. I tend to have leakage with the pen and sometimes hit a sensitive spot and it hurts. But since I started taking this class of drug my health is so much better! I've lost 95 lbs. and the health problems from diabetes have disappeared. This could be a lifesaver for me!"

Cathy O (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was prescribed Metformin 1000mg twice a day and Glicazide 40mg 4 times a day. I took this for 4 years but constantly had an upset stomach and my blood sugar readings were always between 10 and 15 mmol/L and I was gaining weight even though I eat healthy foods. I was then advised to take Actos 30mg once a day instead of Glicazide. Although this helped initially my readings were still high and I was gaining weight. I then saw a Diabetic Consultant and he suggested trying Bydureon 2mg injections once a week. I have been on these for 9 weeks now and my readings are down to 5-6 mmol/L and I have lost 1st 2lbs and feel much better. I get occasional nausea. I have to pay for the injections and they are expensive but well worth the money."

Ceryl July 27, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon helped me get my A1c numbers down. If I would just follow the rules and eat right, it could do wonders. Also, for those getting the nodules at the injection site, put an ice pack on the site for about 15 minutes and you will probably not get a knot. Works wonders for me."

Hobie1958 July 26, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "My experience has being great. I have lost about 20 pounds in 2 months. Side effects: just mild nausea if I don't eat, loss of appetite. Glucose levels of 107 in the mornings vs 160. I do have the bumps on the injection sites. I chose my belly but I think I need to change sites. I am really happy with the results and would not change it for anything else. I was having a really hard time losing weight before and now it became really easy. My doctor also put me on a lactose free diet and it s working wonders for me. No more upset stomach or bloating."

Ariesrican July 21, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "I had liver damage from Lisc/hcl so I became type 2 diabetic ..My M.D. put me on Bydureon to take the load off my liver to allow it to heal...I have dropped 18 lbs , my nurse pract/bydur rep taught me how to eat properly WATCH YOUR CARBS...NOT CALORIES!!! I was only eating between 1000-1400 calories a day and gaining weight. My NP taught me about carbs my 120 calorie snack had 110 carbs in it!!! As a diabetic I was only to shoot for 150 carbs a day..I did this... the weight is melting off my liver enzyme test came back perfect! after two years of fighting!!.. the Bydureon is working!! it did give me some heart burn,diarreah ,and lumps at injection site...but I feel this is worth it !! I have been on it for 6 weeks now! count your carbs!"

Lani55 July 21, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide): "Lowers blood sugar but causes heartburn."

et in az July 15, 2015