User Reviews for Bydureon

Learn more about Bydureon.

Bydureon Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Bydureon to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"When I can get the pen to work , I get great results.. but I have six pens that won't allow the plunger to dispense the med. This is hopeless."

Pen won't dispense February 8, 2016

"I started taking Bydureon 8 weeks ago. My Blood Sugars were quite erratic. They have been steady at 119 to 154. Four weeks ago I developed a dry mouth. Drinking water all day. I lost 15 lbs. I went to the dentist for my four month clean and a wisdom tooth that was perfectly normal had to be extracted. I stopped taking Bydureon and I no longer have a dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"Took byetta for a number of years and started getting sugar "crashes" around 1 to 2 hrs after injecting so had to sugar up to counteract which was rather non productive. There was some fear that I would go low for a week when first starting but that didn't happen. Very stable A1c @ 6.25 like a rock for years. Do not eat full size meals or you can experience pretty nasty nausea when your stomach won't empty and the meal "ferments". I don't call the shot the core drill for nothing. Bleeding should be expected and the time release makes nodules which can work out through the skin surface with a small red bump which lasts up to two weeks. I keep a small led flashlight to eyeball (shine through) the pen ."

Mulee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"This med is horrible! I was on Victosa but my insurance stopped covering it and I was told this was the equivalent. So wrong. This burns horribly going in and uses a large gauge needle. I would rather give myself 5 or more insulin injection a day then this."

Lori j January 20, 2016

"This med is awesome! My a1c and all my other blood work now looks perfect. I have lost 43 pounds in 9 months. The med takes away all of your desire to drink sodas and eat sugary snacks. I found that I got lumps from the shot when I did it in my leg or arm, but not when I do it in my stomach. This is the healthiest I have felt in 5 years. Wish I had been put on this med sooner!"

Diabetes miracle med December 17, 2015

"I have been on Bydureon for 7 weeks after fighting my doctor about using an inject-able for about a year. I have previously been on Metformin and Xigduo (still taking these) after adding the Xigduo my numbers actually went up. However after adding the Bydureon I have seen an amazing turn around. My fasting glucose has been between 190-210, now it runs between 113-149, depending on what I have eaten the day before. Even better is that I am down about 14 pounds. I told my doctor that I wish I would have agreed sooner, but the medication wasn't available before then. I did have diarrhea in the first couple of weeks but that has gone away. No nausea but I am not nearly as hungry, and most importantly I don't have cravings like before."

Momotwns (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

"I took this with 3 injections and had the bumps/nodules which were itchy, but with my 4th injection it bled quite a bit and I developed a rash, swelling and bruising. When my doc saw it, she took me off. That night I was very sick in the middle of the night throwing up. I have lost 15 pounds in almost 4 weeks but I do not believe it's the meds...I was still very hungry and it took extreme discipline to do this, in motivation to get off the meds. I will do anything to get back to the weight needed without meds. For now, I'm going to try metformin for the first time."

Mar58 December 16, 2015

"This drug is horrible and I'm about to go to the ER I think I have pancreatitis the doc said I'd lose weight but I've gained weight since I've been on it I've craved sugar like never before and if I don't get sugar I get super crabby and irritated and all I wanna do when I'm not crabby is sleep. The stomach pains is so severe too"

CrystalCcp8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

"Cloged needles. Just in the last two month; most be a new lot"

Hayshaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2015

"My wife started a course of Bydureon in the summer. After 3 months she had not only lost weight but her A1C went from 9 6.something. She felt healthier and had no severe reaction. I went on it when I saw how it worked for her. It affects your appetite and you can avoid junk food without and compulsion to eat it. No problems at all except for constipation. I've lost 20+ pounds in three months and have gone down a few inched on the waistline. Very expensive drug with a month's supply being over $1600 but my insurance covered it for both of us."

68 year old diabetic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2015

"This is what happen to me. On September 8th I used Bydureon Pen for the first time. Injection site use close to navel area as instructed. Produced one large bump that never went away. It is tender and can't sleep on stomach anymore. Have problems walking because it is too tender. Now will need operation to remove bump. Injection-site reactions. Serious injection-site reactions, with or without bumps (nodules), have happened in some people who use bydureon. Some of these injection-site reactions have required surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of injection-site reactions, including severe pain, swelling, blisters, an open wound, or a dark scab. Don't use this medication."

Steve51055 October 29, 2015

"All was fine first week, a little nausea. Second week was fine as well but a little redness/itching around injection site. Third week injection site immediately started to turn into a giant hive across my entire abdomen and I broke out in hives in all other areas of my body. Went to ER and was taken off medication, but it took over a week for the serious reaction to stop. Developed 1 inch knots at all injection sites which lasted for a couple months. I've been off the meds for several months and still break out in hives around my waist and on my bra line. Prior to the first hive outbreak, I had never had allergic reactions to anything."

SBinMO October 28, 2015

"On average one out of every pen will not inject into my body. They only give you one extra needle and I am constantly using it with the first injection, which leaves me with no extra needles for the other three weeks. I have gone three weeks without being able to administer the medicine because the plunger will not work. Either the needles get clogged or the plunger does not work. I am very frustrated on this medicine."

Wonderwomanliz September 15, 2015

"I've been on Bydureon for 18 months, and used Byetta for 8 months before that. I switched from the Byetta because I couldn't handle the digestive upset any more, but the results were amazing. My a1c has come down to the 5.7-5.9 level consistently. Fasting BG is in the 80s normally. I haven't had any of the stomach upset with Bydureon. The shots are a pain and I don't think I like the pen very much since I can't control the shot as well. I tend to have leakage with the pen and sometimes hit a sensitive spot and it hurts. But since I started taking this class of drug my health is so much better! I've lost 95 lbs. and the health problems from diabetes have disappeared. This could be a lifesaver for me!"

Cathy O (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2015

"I was prescribed Metformin 1000mg twice a day and Glicazide 40mg 4 times a day. I took this for 4 years but constantly had an upset stomach and my blood sugar readings were always between 10 and 15 mmol/L and I was gaining weight even though I eat healthy foods. I was then advised to take Actos 30mg once a day instead of Glicazide. Although this helped initially my readings were still high and I was gaining weight. I then saw a Diabetic Consultant and he suggested trying Bydureon 2mg injections once a week. I have been on these for 9 weeks now and my readings are down to 5-6 mmol/L and I have lost 1st 2lbs and feel much better. I get occasional nausea. I have to pay for the injections and they are expensive but well worth the money."

Ceryl July 27, 2015

"Bydureon helped me get my A1c numbers down. If I would just follow the rules and eat right, it could do wonders. Also, for those getting the nodules at the injection site, put an ice pack on the site for about 15 minutes and you will probably not get a knot. Works wonders for me."

Hobie1958 July 26, 2015

"My experience has being great. I have lost about 20 pounds in 2 months. Side effects: just mild nausea if I don't eat, loss of appetite. Glucose levels of 107 in the mornings vs 160. I do have the bumps on the injection sites. I chose my belly but I think I need to change sites. I am really happy with the results and would not change it for anything else. I was having a really hard time losing weight before and now it became really easy. My doctor also put me on a lactose free diet and it s working wonders for me. No more upset stomach or bloating."

Ariesrican July 21, 2015

"I had liver damage from Lisc/hcl so I became type 2 diabetic ..My M.D. put me on Bydureon to take the load off my liver to allow it to heal...I have dropped 18 lbs , my nurse pract/bydur rep taught me how to eat properly WATCH YOUR CARBS...NOT CALORIES!!! I was only eating between 1000-1400 calories a day and gaining weight. My NP taught me about carbs my 120 calorie snack had 110 carbs in it!!! As a diabetic I was only to shoot for 150 carbs a day..I did this... the weight is melting off my liver enzyme test came back perfect! after two years of fighting!!.. the Bydureon is working!! it did give me some heart burn,diarreah ,and lumps at injection site...but I feel this is worth it !! I have been on it for 6 weeks now! count your carbs!"

Lani55 July 21, 2015

"Lowers blood sugar but causes heartburn."

et in az July 15, 2015

"I am on my 5th week of taking Bydureon. So far I have had no reactions to my injection sites. I usually inject same time every Monday and I am good on the first day, but on the 2nd and 3rd day, i feel so nauseous that i can hardly eat. I also find that i have diareahea alot. I have not really lost any weight but have not gained weight either. Best of all I went from 414 (my highest blood level) to 99 (my lowest level) so far. So there is a major difference in my blood sugar. I can not wait to see what my A1C reading will be when i get my blood work done in a month."

rlockett (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"Its been a week and took my second injection. My hungry is practically nothing and i need to remind myself to eat. Now my morning reading is 172 from 207 and after two hours its 135-145 range. I have lost 7lbs in one week! No side effects except some diarrhea. Im feeling better day by day. Switched my diet to less carbohydrates so i do not have a rollercoaster of numbers. Feeling less tired also. Will post more in a week."

LuvCereza (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

"Doctor decided to take me off Glipizide and replace it with Bydureon once a week (injection). Just started it so i can only say my appetite is nearly gone and I dont think about food all day. The needle was thick and left a slight mark but not a big deal. Didn't experience any nodules like he said i might but like i said i only have had one injection. No side effects as of yet. It does take a few hours to kick in. Woke up to 213 (7am) reading and was afraid to eat but ate a high protein breakfast for a diabetic and took my Metformin with it. Blood glucose came down only to 207 but by a few more hours of feeling like crap it came down to 173 and by noon it was 109. So we will see. Doc gave me months worth free."

LuvCereza (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2015

"Bydureon worked well helping my A1C level, 7.6 to 6.5. Also sugar levels went from 120-140 fasting to 90-110. After meals levels went from 180-220 to 140-160. I also lost 19 lbs in three months. After 3 months the side effects became too much to handle. Nausea and vomiting were constant. Woke up one night so sick I could not keep any thing down. Three hours later ended up in ER dehydrated. Have stopped taking bydureon two weeks ago but it still is in my system. Still nausea and upset stomach with sour taste in mouth. Results were great. Just couldn't handle side effects."

Merln June 3, 2015

"I started 10 weeks ago and saw an immediate drop in my home testing glucose levels, from double figure mmol readings to 4/7mmol after fasting. I had no side effects at all for the first four weeks but subsequently suffered terrible nausea, overnight hypos, skin rash and the most revolting sulphur/egg-smelling burps (cured immediately by Alka Seltzer if anyone else has the same problem!) I've noticed no reduction in appetite (except when nausea has prevented me from eating at all) but had already reduced my intake to 1200 calories a day in an effort to lose weight. If anything, Bydureon is hindering my weight loss. I often see no loss after a week of eating like Snow White, which is disappointing. Overall delighted though."

AmandaUK (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"This is a follow-up to my review a few weeks ago. I experienced no side effects at all up until I had injected the fourth time. At that point, I began to have site itching, but I could live with that. The fifth time was two days ago, and I was startled to see that the injection site was angry and red about the size of a silver dollar. I still have itching, but the appearance of the site is alarming. I worry about future injections causing a serious reaction. There are also the lumps and nodules now. Think I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow."

KsusieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015