User Reviews for Bydureon

Learn more about Bydureon.

Bydureon review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Bydureon to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by Dmillsrn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Stammering speech, violent nerve twitching, insomnia, blurred vision, difficulty swallowing

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by noraf:

Final update - see previous postings. My A1c went up to 7.9. It is clear that it did very little for me in retrospect. My good A1c of 6.0 and weight loss was from following Paleo plan (low carb) fairly strictly. I went back to eating carbs and my A1c jacked up and so did my weight. My dr. took me off Bydureon and I have started slow acting insulin. Hope you have better results! Good luck.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by JerryinFL:

I was on Byetta for about 6 years and it worked wonders for me. I lost 70 lbs. in the first few months, but the 35 of them have crept back on. I've been on Bydureon for about 18 months. I've had no side effects other than the little lumps. My wife is an RN and suggested using thinner needles. I told her they wouldn't work but she tried anyway. She was unable to push the Bydureon in, so back to the thick needle. I have not enjoyed the weight loss effect with Bydureon. My Dr. has just given me a prescription for the new pen, however, Walgreens does not yet have it available. I have found no information that says it is actually being sold yet. The pen comes with a needle, same thickness but a fraction shorter.

April 17, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by dabrego:

This is an update from my previous posting. I need to correct that I take 1000mg of Metformin NOT 2000mg a day. On Thurday I took my 4th injection of Bydureon. At first I had some nausea and heartburn. By my 3rd injection that has subsided. As far as weight loss, I've only lost 9lbs so far. My fasting sugar in the morning the day after injection is about 118. However, as the week goes on they tend to spike. The highest I've had is 185. Before Bydureon I ranged between 120-150. I've also noticed that my ankles swell by the evening time. Which is somewhat new. During these four weeks I had stopped my Actos because I couldn't afford the copay and but I was able to restart it this week. I put a call into my doctor. I'll see what she has to say

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by Anon Female (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am enjoying the results of Bydureon - 5th shot is tomorrow. I've lost 19 lbs and sometimes have to make myself eat something. The Bydureon is helping me eat very healthy, and I've lost my cravings for sweets and carbs. My sugars have dropped from 220-300 range to 90-110 range. I have energy to spare. I also take 500 mg of Metformin twice a day. No issues with lumps, but the medicine does burn at times when injected.

March 29, 2014 8:53 PM

Use it and love the results

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by David492 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have taken Bydureon about 3 months. My blood sugar has gone from over 200 to 125-180 which is a nice improvement. I do not yet know what has happened to my A1c. I inject the Bydureon into my thigh. I alternate sides each week so each thigh has two weeks to recover. I have had no side effects. I have been trying to lose weight in 2014. So far I am down 14 pounds from 179 to 165 pounds.

March 8, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Smi359 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Difficult to use but works. Constant indigestion (had same problem Byetta).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by grateful so far (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Bydureon for a year now. My HbA1c is running between 5.5 and 6.6. Every once in a while I will have nausea. But rarely. The diarrhea isn't to bad and counter that with Imodium ad. Weight lose has stopped. Was 295lbs when I first started Bydureon a year ago. I am now stuck at 275. But Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm sure didn't help any. I'm back on my strict diet. Of salads and turkey and tuna. So I'm sure to lose more weight, from where I don't know because I'm in decent shape. My blood sugars run from as low as 74 all the way up to 200. But mainly stay around 80 to 130. It has gotten more expensive for me. I was paying $20 a month. Now it has jumped to $150 a month.

March 6, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by Niverren (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking Bydureon for 1 month. So far, although I am skeptical by nature, it seems like a miracle. I had been eating Paleo for about 3 months, but was only losing 1 lb per week and still seeing fasting numbers around 150. My doctor put me on Bydureon and I lost 10 lbs just the in the first two weeks, and that included a few freakout days when I was eating Olive Garden, Taco Bell, and Braums ice cream multiple times per day. In one month, I've lost a total of 21 lbs, dropping from 263lbs to 242lbs, with no other lifestyle changes. I have not been back yet to check my A1C as doc wants to wait a full three months, but posting numbers of 90 - 100 upon waking and 110 - 120 after meals, it stands to reason this would also have improved greatly.

March 2, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by ALV (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started on this medication 4 months ago. Followed instructions and take the Bydureon out of the refrigerator the night before. My wife gives the injection as I would never be able to do this myself. The needle is huge! It burns going in and the nodes take many weeks to go away. To this day heartburn, painful gas in lower abdomen, pain at base of neck, very low energy level where I must lay down about every three hours. I am 5'9" 172lbs. I walk 40 minutes on treadmill every morning and do jumping jacks and burpees for exercise. My A1c went from 8 to 8.3 on third visit to Dr. Waiting to see what the numbers will be next week. Just this last week my nipples got swollen, enlarged and are very painful.

February 9, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by NWchic:

I'm on week 4 and so far so good. The 1st injection was done with my nurse and went smoothly. About 3 days later, I started to experience extreme nausea anytime I ate something, so I didn't eat much the first week. My BS dropped from 300 to about 180. The 2nd shot didn't go in as easily and kind of burned, but I wasn't as nauseous that next week. I had an idea that I probably did something wrong during that injection and my blood sugars doubled that second week. The 3rd shot I was really careful to pinch my fat and make sure it wasn't muscle and that time went smoothly and didn't burn at all. Wk 3 BS dropped to 105-140. I messed up Wk4 again and the shot burned and this time I got a bump. I think it was too close to the last injection site

January 21, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by noraf (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

update: Been on med since feb 8, 2013. see my other entry for details. because I was not getting good results, I went on paleo diet & brought a1c down in 3 months. I stopped being so strict & a1c was 6.7 last Nov. Holiday eating & not eating paleo (it is hard to go to grocery 2-3x a week!) have caused me to have way higher numbers 200-400 on daily meter. I'm sure my a1c is back up to almost 8 again. I also gained back the weight that I lost on paleo diet. Bydureon has not helped me to lose weight. Even after a year, I still get intense cravings for sweets every now and again. Due to see dr. in a couple of months. We will re-evaluate. Think I could drop a1c just by paleo diet alone.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2014 1:51 PM

Review by Ramesh kumar (taken for 2 to 5 years):

2 years

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 2:51 AM

Review by Tmit71:

I have taken 7 shots. My blood sugars have gone from 250 to 140 in the mornings waking up. I do have 2 knots just on each side of my navel. I have experienced the nausea and feeling sick within 24 hours of the shot. I have lost 12 pounds. That's a lot considering I weighed 188 when I started and I'm at 176 now. I'm 6'2" tall and losing that much weight kind of scares me. I feel a lot better taking the Bydureon and I take 2000 mg metformin daily. This medicine has stabilized my sugar levels in 7 weeks.

January 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by flutemon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Bydureon since March 2013. Started initially with Byetta Sept. 2012 but had to make a switch because of nauseousness. Bydureon has been so much easier to deal with and I haven't been nauseous. The differences I found were 1) I feel hungrier with Bydureon (not as much appetite supression) so I just have to make sure I'm using good portion control; 2) I'm not losing weight as quickly as I did on Byetta. It could be that I'm reaching goal weight and it's harder to lose the last little bit. Current loss 82 lbs. As far as BG numbers, I have gone from morning fasting # of 160s/170s before Byetta/Bydureon to 80s/90s now. I've also gone from 2000 mg metformin daily to 1000 mg daily.

November 3, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by RabidGolfer:

Saw the doctor today. Waiting for blood test results. I had asked the doctor to give my Byetta since Januvia didn't appear to be really helping getting my A1C and I had gone of Actos. Went through 3 months and not happy with the lumps and scarring that I got from the injections. Didn't have this issue with Byetta since the needles were thinner and the amount of fluid less. Yes, the once a week injections are convenient and I lost about 15 lbs since using the medication.

October 31, 2013 5:09 AM

Review by Babs McG:

I am on week five. I was on Byetta which worked well but made me really ill to the point that I had to plan my life around toilets! I am so relieved to read in the above comments that some people experience great hunger because i thought i was some kind of freak! I discussed IBS with my doc but they were more concerned with me losing weight. No change as yet but not feeling the same nausea some people are reporting and no knots.

October 29, 2013 7:34 PM

Review by Shackman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on Bydureon for 9 months now, my A1c's came down from 12 to 6.5, my sugar is always around 90-100 and never drops, I feel fantastic. I've dropped 60 lbs and eat when I want and never finish a meal, I ride my bike 20 miles no issues.

October 3, 2013 11:31 PM

Review by belugah (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am on my 4th month on Bydureon. So far I don't see any weight loss but instead I gained a little. It doesn't suppress my appetite yet in fact on my first 3 months, I noticed that I ate more and always hungry. I lost 25 lbs on Victoza but after a year of using it my weight didn't move down anymore. My Dr. changed it to Bydureon, he wants me to bring down my weight. I have to see him if my numbers are better on this one. Needles are thick but I can handle it. I know the technique now and no bumps at all and pulling the needle is bloodless now. Doing this once a week is very convenient. Just a little worried because of my hypothyroidism, hope it won't create another problem...lets wait a little bit more and see.

September 27, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by Alabama Diabetic (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Bydureon since Jan 2013. I have been able to stop taking all of my other oral medicines. My blood sugar is great. My doc told me to take the medicine out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before mixing. Has helped with the bumps. Once per week is GREAT.

September 21, 2013 8:39 PM

Review by evelyn6 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Bydureon for 3 months now and have found it to be effective at lower my blood sugar and decreasing my appetite. The side effects, however, have caused me to discontinue using it per my doctor's instructions. I have been experiencing systems likened to having a stomach virus, bloated stomach, nausea and diarrhea, about every third to fourth week of the month. The effects are bad enough that I have had to miss work. I haven't experienced any knots at the injection site, but my goodness that's a large needle that has to be used!

September 7, 2013 1:02 AM

Review by Sweet Mimi:

I have been on Bydureon since 11/12. My A1c has gone from 9.5 to 6.0 and I am off of all insulin. When I first started the med I was 5'2 and 187 pounds. I am now just over 10 months later 138 lbs. This has worked miracles for me as none of the oral medications helped me at all. I have not had any side effects. The shot is a bit painful but I've found if you let it warm up about 15 minutes it's a little easier. I do have hard knots at the injection site which last few weeks so I rotate where I give the injection. If you are just starting out on Bydureon and want to give up, try to hang on a little while longer. It did not work for me right away and did take about 8-10 weeks before I started noticing the benefits.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 12:27 PM

Review by TLSloan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this medication since 3/28/13. In June, my A1C was down to 6.4. My next appointment is the end of September. 6-8 weeks into using Bydureon I started experiencing nausea approximately 24-48hrs after injection which lasted for 24-72hrs. In June, my Dr suggested I stop the Bydureon because he didn't like that I was feeling sick for half of my week. I had 1 month of med left, so I agreed to stick with it one more month, Nausea went away, but I still had no appetite. Now I'm experiencing stomach pain with movement 24hrs after injection. I see the Dr. end of September.

August 29, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by jlc2013:

I will be taking my 5th shot tomorrow. I have had no side effects as of yet. I do notice that my loss of appetite for sweets has diminished a lot, until it is time for the next injection. I start craving sweets within the last 12 hours before the next shot. I can't say I have lost any weight, as I have also started going to a gym, and with the yoga, walking and weights this seems to be what I can contribute my loss to. I still eat, the carbs are no longer a big draw for me. In the past few days I have been itching a lot, which brought me here to read side effects. I have not noticed any lumps at the injection site. I have injected these in my stomach alternating sides.

August 27, 2013 11:48 PM