User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Diabetes, Type 2 179 reviews 134 medications

7.8
Summary of Exenatide reviews 179 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Exenatide

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I am on my third injection of Bydureon. The needle is huge and the med burns going in, and bleeds after. No problems with injection site till this week I noticed a small pea-sized bump at the first injection site on my stomach. The first two weeks my morning sugars went up significantly to 190-200. Other side effects are diarrhea (which has resolved this week), bloating and a very uncomfortable full feeling, and some random stomach pain. This week numbers starting to come down to 145-155, but still higher than when on my previous med, Victoza, which made me very nauseous. Not losing weight. In fact, am up 2 lbs. Hope this turns around in the next couple of weeks."

Georgiao55 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started this 4 weeks ago, I am ready to quit, my nausea is so bad, it is hard to deal with. I was told it would go away, not! My sugars are running a lot lower and I stopped the actos. I feel like it is a huge rock in my stomach, and looking, smelling, or trying to eat makes me want to gag. I am hanging on one more week. My daughter is a nurse and does my injections, you need to do stomach and pinch up the skin making sure you don't see any veins. I have lost 10 #. and when I lay down to sleep I get heartburn really bad. I can't even sleep, I toss and turn sometimes the whole 8 hours, I am miserable!!!"

taznana April 17, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug is HORRIBLE!!! For the entire month I was on it, my blood sugars were never under 200. I was on Trulicity before this, which is a wonderful medication that is the same type as Bydureon, but my insurance said it wouldn't cover the Trulicity for me anymore unless I tried the Bydureon first (?prior authorization). Well...obviously it sucks so thankfully I'll get to go back on the Trulicity, which made my blood sugars extremely steady (around 110) and I was losing weight...like 2 pounds per week. The Bydureon also hurt horribly to inject and always made me bleed, and the mixing it was a pain in the butt. With the Trulicity, it's all done for you and is almost painless, and I never bled at the injection site."

JenCount (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on this for about 5 weeks. The first two weeks, my blood sugars actually increased a bit, then started going down slowly. I was having blood sugars in the 300s after meal and 200s after fasting. They have improved to the upper 100s to low 200s after meals and in the upper 100s after fasting. I know this is still not good, but so much better than it was. I am hoping that these numbers will continue to improve. Alot of people have complained about the shots and side effects. The shots hurt more than the pen needles used with Byetta (which did not work for me), but not that big of a deal. No lumps from them. I've had virtually no major side effects."

123**Valerie** March 26, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Started Bydureon 2mg in May 2015. It's been 10 months and my A1C is 5.7. I've dropped 60 pounds, went from a size 15 to a size 8, feel great. The nausea realllllly gets me some days and I just can't eat much at all. But, it does do its job. I was on metformin for 2 years before Bydureon and I had constant diarrea. I'll take the nausea over the #2s."

Downwithdiabetes March 18, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "It been taking bydureon for about 4 months. I absolutely love this medicine. After taking metformin for 2 years I requested the switch. So many side effects for me w metformin. The only side effect I notice w bydureon is nausea. In the beginning it was more pronounced but now I just notice it from time to time and it subsides rather quickly. My blood sugars are so much more in control. I have also lost 15 pounds and looking forward to losing more! So glad I switched to this medicine!!"

Nakita11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have only been taking this medicine for two weeks and I love it. My sugars went down right away. from 224-295 to 146-185. I am sure that it will keep going down, My last A1c was 10.6, I can not wait to see the next one. I have some nausea on the day after and a little on day two, but nothing that is horrible. I am still able to eat and I have never thrown up. As for the nodules I rub the area really well after the shot and I do not have any. I use the top of my leg right about my knee and have not had any problems with that either. I love this medicine."

Angela8514 March 4, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "When I can get the pen to work , I get great results.. but I have six pens that won't allow the plunger to dispense the med. This is hopeless."

Pen won't dispense February 8, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started taking Bydureon 8 weeks ago. My Blood Sugars were quite erratic. They have been steady at 119 to 154. Four weeks ago I developed a dry mouth. Drinking water all day. I lost 15 lbs. I went to the dentist for my four month clean and a wisdom tooth that was perfectly normal had to be extracted. I stopped taking Bydureon and I no longer have a dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Took byetta for a number of years and started getting sugar "crashes" around 1 to 2 hrs after injecting so had to sugar up to counteract which was rather non productive. There was some fear that I would go low for a week when first starting but that didn't happen. Very stable A1c @ 6.25 like a rock for years. Do not eat full size meals or you can experience pretty nasty nausea when your stomach won't empty and the meal "ferments". I don't call the shot the core drill for nothing. Bleeding should be expected and the time release makes nodules which can work out through the skin surface with a small red bump which lasts up to two weeks. I keep a small led flashlight to eyeball (shine through) the pen ."

Mulee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This med is horrible! I was on Victosa but my insurance stopped covering it and I was told this was the equivalent. So wrong. This burns horribly going in and uses a large gauge needle. I would rather give myself 5 or more insulin injection a day then this."

Lori j January 20, 2016

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "As a prediabetic, I am anxious to not hit a "tipping point" into full diabetes. I asked my GP for Vitroza, but could only get insurance to cover Byetta. Three weeks later and 25 pounds less, I am thrilled. I still lap swim 3 times a week and lift weights with no hunger or sweet cravings. Also I inject in my thigh with no side effects. WHEW! Thanks Byetta!!"

upandready (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2015

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I used Byetta just to lose weight in 2012. I lost 24pds then and really loved my size. After loosing the weight since I wasn't diabetic I got off of it. So many months later I started to gain the weight back. I decided to start back on it several times but it didn't work with the weight loss . I'm back on it again for a month now and I'm exercising with it but, hadn't dropped any weight. I'm on 10mg. I don't have nausea and when I did it lasted only a couple of days. Any one have any suggestions. Annoynomous"

Annoynomous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This med is awesome! My a1c and all my other blood work now looks perfect. I have lost 43 pounds in 9 months. The med takes away all of your desire to drink sodas and eat sugary snacks. I found that I got lumps from the shot when I did it in my leg or arm, but not when I do it in my stomach. This is the healthiest I have felt in 5 years. Wish I had been put on this med sooner!"

Diabetes miracle med December 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Bydureon for 7 weeks after fighting my doctor about using an inject-able for about a year. I have previously been on Metformin and Xigduo (still taking these) after adding the Xigduo my numbers actually went up. However after adding the Bydureon I have seen an amazing turn around. My fasting glucose has been between 190-210, now it runs between 113-149, depending on what I have eaten the day before. Even better is that I am down about 14 pounds. I told my doctor that I wish I would have agreed sooner, but the medication wasn't available before then. I did have diarrhea in the first couple of weeks but that has gone away. No nausea but I am not nearly as hungry, and most importantly I don't have cravings like before."

Momotwns (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I took this with 3 injections and had the bumps/nodules which were itchy, but with my 4th injection it bled quite a bit and I developed a rash, swelling and bruising. When my doc saw it, she took me off. That night I was very sick in the middle of the night throwing up. I have lost 15 pounds in almost 4 weeks but I do not believe it's the meds...I was still very hungry and it took extreme discipline to do this, in motivation to get off the meds. I will do anything to get back to the weight needed without meds. For now, I'm going to try metformin for the first time."

Mar58 December 16, 2015

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Started byetta in mid October 5mgs at first. Moved on to 10mgs from mid November. I almost finished that pen now but I have had no nausea or any other side effects, no weight loss, no difference in my food intake, no diff in my sugar levels. #sad face."

Fatzz December 15, 2015

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This medicine saved my life sugar is now under control after major surgery and a poorly functional pancrease"

Saunde December 15, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug is horrible and I'm about to go to the ER I think I have pancreatitis the doc said I'd lose weight but I've gained weight since I've been on it I've craved sugar like never before and if I don't get sugar I get super crabby and irritated and all I wanna do when I'm not crabby is sleep. The stomach pains is so severe too"

CrystalCcp8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Cloged needles. Just in the last two month; most be a new lot"

Hayshaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My wife started a course of Bydureon in the summer. After 3 months she had not only lost weight but her A1C went from 9 6.something. She felt healthier and had no severe reaction. I went on it when I saw how it worked for her. It affects your appetite and you can avoid junk food without and compulsion to eat it. No problems at all except for constipation. I've lost 20+ pounds in three months and have gone down a few inched on the waistline. Very expensive drug with a month's supply being over $1600 but my insurance covered it for both of us."

68 year old diabetic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This is what happen to me. On September 8th I used Bydureon Pen for the first time. Injection site use close to navel area as instructed. Produced one large bump that never went away. It is tender and can't sleep on stomach anymore. Have problems walking because it is too tender. Now will need operation to remove bump. Injection-site reactions. Serious injection-site reactions, with or without bumps (nodules), have happened in some people who use bydureon. Some of these injection-site reactions have required surgery. Call your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of injection-site reactions, including severe pain, swelling, blisters, an open wound, or a dark scab. Don't use this medication."

Steve51055 October 29, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "All was fine first week, a little nausea. Second week was fine as well but a little redness/itching around injection site. Third week injection site immediately started to turn into a giant hive across my entire abdomen and I broke out in hives in all other areas of my body. Went to ER and was taken off medication, but it took over a week for the serious reaction to stop. Developed 1 inch knots at all injection sites which lasted for a couple months. I've been off the meds for several months and still break out in hives around my waist and on my bra line. Prior to the first hive outbreak, I had never had allergic reactions to anything."

SBinMO October 28, 2015

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Byetta has helped me lose 32 lbs in 63 days. I have kept my sugar levels in the 100 range since starting this medicine. I was 253 pounds at 5 foot 9. Diabetes was not something I ever thought I would get but my glucose numbers were in the 300 range and fasting they were 250! The doctor put me on byetta and metphormin. I will be honest, at first, I ate the same bad foods and was throwing up every time! Now, I keep my sugar grams to 22 grams a day and 110 grams of carbs. Once I controlled the sugar and carbs, the nausea stopped! You just need to re-train your brain! My eyes wanted to get lots of food but I couldn't eat it after byetta! Just know your body and if it's too much, tell your doctor."

Kellyboo3 October 14, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "On average one out of every pen will not inject into my body. They only give you one extra needle and I am constantly using it with the first injection, which leaves me with no extra needles for the other three weeks. I have gone three weeks without being able to administer the medicine because the plunger will not work. Either the needles get clogged or the plunger does not work. I am very frustrated on this medicine."

Wonderwomanliz September 15, 2015