Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Diabetes, Type 2 134 reviews 127 medications

8.1
Summary of Exenatide reviews 134 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Exenatide

Review by Lindt Loo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have used Bydureon for 2 years. It has been a God send. My A1C has went from 10 to 5.2. I watch my diet and exercise daily. Over the holidays I did eat more sweets than usual and my A1C was 5.8. So it has been a wonderful drug for me. I don't use insulin anymore. the only complaint I have is I get hot flashes like menopause. I am well over menopause by my hormone tests. I wonder if I am the only one with these hot flash symptoms? I call them my "Bydureon hot flashes"

April 18, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by Ramona318:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Had beautiful results on a different once-weekly but insurance company decided I needed to be shaken around, I guess, and will only cover Bydureon. Not nice. But I'm here looking for some encouragement that it will get better with time. Just started 3rd week and experiencing the following: Spiking sugars around 300, Elevated morning sugars 180-200, Unearthly hunger - all day. Feeling low sugar symptoms (hunger, shakes, sweats, vision disturbances) but readings of 170-180, Weight gain. No problems with injections or injection sites as I was told to expect. But the constant low sugar sensations is turning me into a recluse as I can't drive myself anywhere and I am very reluctant to go for walks or engage in any increased exercise.

April 18, 2015 2:11 PM

Review by beefcake77 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Has anyone had hand and body tremors with Bydureon? My sugars are back in the normal range. I've lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I'm having tremors to the point where it's hard to hold a cup to my mouth to take a drink.

April 18, 2015 1:14 AM

Review by peterbilt2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Had to stop taking due to blurred vision; and large lumps on injection site

April 17, 2015 1:04 AM

Review by Akmals02 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've been on Bydureon coming on three weeks, I just gave my third week shot today! The first week about five days and I got violently ill, abdominal cramps vomiting diarrhea. Contacted my doctor but he really thought that it was the stomach virus so he asked me to take it for one more week. Second week I had some light nausea but all went well. Just took my third shot this morning and I don't know if I did anything wrong but it burned going in and now there's a lump on my thigh The size of a pea.

April 15, 2015 3:04 PM

Review by MiMiTX:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Started taking Bydureon 6 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks, blood sugars were lower by 15-25 points, no weight loss but happy with BS results. Week 5, began to be very nauseous on and off, being around food or cooking for family difficult. Could only eat bland, room temp/cold foods like half a bagel, granola bar, cereal, bananas. Everything else made me sick. Week 6, nausea much worse without stopping, could not tolerate smell/sight of food, especially meat. Weekend trip with family was ruined because I could not be in any restaurants. Vomited several times. Finally called my doctor and he took me off of it. Waiting to get it all out of my system. Will look for alternative drug.

April 10, 2015 2:36 PM

Review by Seadog92:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I'm in my fourth week of taking the med. I'm down 17lbs, my blood sugars have been reduced to where sometimes I have to reduce my night time Lantus or I end up with a low blood sugar event. I love this. I've struggled for years, read about this online, talked with my Dr. and now I'm on my way to getting better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2015 3:08 PM

Review by Thato Lethokoe (taken for less than 1 month):

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I dropped a Jean size. My close relatives say they have noticed some weight loss results. The nausea is awful when I eat unhealthy food. So I stick to my fruits, vegetables and lean meat. I cut out bread, white rice and other bad carbohydrates out of my diet. I only have half a cup serving of brown rice. For breakfast, I choose to eat fruits as I am a full time university student and I don't need to feel nauseated. For lunch I have a small meal, then in the evening I either eat fruits/veggies or nothing. I drink so much water...I am always thirsty lately. Again, the water seems to drain out the nausea and occasionally diarrhoea from bad food choices. I will keep you updated on my journey! In all honesty, I feel so good now .

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 1:45 PM

Review by deechoko1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I love it. I've been on it since July 2014 since then I've lost 17lbs down from 240 to 223 yes I'm loving it. Only downside is the thick needle but I deal with it. My A1c levels are perfect ....it's working for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 3:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Been on it for ten years sugars are normal now. Plus the first seven months I lost 100 lbs. In the 10 years since weight has stabilized at 90 lbs loss. NEVER came back. 5'7" 148 lbs, can eat too!

December 17, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Helani (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Been on Byetta for 2 years & it is fine except the nausea in the morning after the injection so my doctor told me to have it 15 minutes before my breakfast & it works wonders. No more nausea. I also have it 15 minutes before dinner also. My weight stays the same as I am not overweight.

December 12, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by Lilylou9898:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Took first dose. Had some mild nausea and indigestion. Took second injection and within 24 hours was violently ill with horrible diarrhea and vomiting. This went on for 10 hours. I feel awful still and its three days later. Reported it to my Dr and Astra Zeneca. Both agreed it was the medicines and have advised me not take any more.

December 6, 2014 2:10 PM

Review by Ellen c.:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Just had my second injection of Bydureon. First one went fine-just little bits of nausea. The second one was two days ago. Last night I woke up sick as a dog with horrible vomiting and diarrhea. I've been ill for hours and am now missing work. That makes me unhappy. Guessing it's the Bydureon but maybe stomach virus. Will check in with my dr today. Byetta I could not tolerate at all. I'm wondering if this one is the same.

December 4, 2014 5:36 AM

Review by EyeDocblood sugars (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I'm in my fifth week taking injections. I've been on 2000mg metformin daily for 4 yrs but my A1C has been creeping up over the last year (7.3 ) and my fasting blood sugars (morning) had averaged around 160 and almost never registering below 150 and too often above 170. Over the last 4 weeks my fasting sugars have steadily dropped. Last week they averaged 116 and this week they are averaging 107. I've experienced sporadic mild nausea and a reduced appetite (not as hungry as often and I fill up much faster). I'm not a fan of the injections but they're tolerable . I've not followed my weight (definitely not gaining) and we won't check my A1C for a couple more weeks.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 9:49 PM

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Had taken my 4th injection of Bydureon. No problems at the injection site but after my 3 injection began to feel sick all the time. No appetite at all not even coffee. Had persistent bloating, heartburn, and bad taste in mouth. Stopped craving sweets and carbs. A1c went from 8.5 to 6.3 in in 4 weeks. Blood sugars down from 166-180 to 120-125. Love the way this medication works but can hardly tolerate the discomfort in my belly and nausea. Not sure if I can continue or not.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by muleemon (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Was on the 5mcg and increased to 10. Had the usual nausea and lost about ten pounds. A1c leveled out in the high 6's to low 7's. Got ugly last fall/winter and dropped another 35 lbs. BMI is now normal with 65 lbs lost from an initial 235lb start. Have been having a problem with low (50'5 and 60's) sugars within 2 hrs of injection/eating. This started 3 months after the latest weight loss. I was forced to sugar load with glucose and fruits to counteract the Byetta and stopped it last week (just too dangerous. I am going to ask to be put on the time release and then adjust the Glucophage to try to get a stable dial in. Testing like a mad dog my fingers are a mess. If the time release doesn't cut it I will try going back to 5mcg.

August 25, 2014 7:10 PM

Review by Dmillsrn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Stammering speech, violent nerve twitching, insomnia, blurred vision, difficulty swallowing

August 1, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by noraf:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Final update - see previous postings. My A1c went up to 7.9. It is clear that it did very little for me in retrospect. My good A1c of 6.0 and weight loss was from following Paleo plan (low carb) fairly strictly. I went back to eating carbs and my A1c jacked up and so did my weight. My dr. took me off Bydureon and I have started slow acting insulin. Hope you have better results! Good luck.

July 18, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by JerryinFL:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I was on Byetta for about 6 years and it worked wonders for me. I lost 70 lbs. in the first few months, but the 35 of them have crept back on. I've been on Bydureon for about 18 months. I've had no side effects other than the little lumps. My wife is an RN and suggested using thinner needles. I told her they wouldn't work but she tried anyway. She was unable to push the Bydureon in, so back to the thick needle. I have not enjoyed the weight loss effect with Bydureon. My Dr. has just given me a prescription for the new pen, however, Walgreens does not yet have it available. I have found no information that says it is actually being sold yet. The pen comes with a needle, same thickness but a fraction shorter.

April 17, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by dabrego:

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: This is an update from my previous posting. I need to correct that I take 1000mg of Metformin NOT 2000mg a day. On Thurday I took my 4th injection of Bydureon. At first I had some nausea and heartburn. By my 3rd injection that has subsided. As far as weight loss, I've only lost 9lbs so far. My fasting sugar in the morning the day after injection is about 118. However, as the week goes on they tend to spike. The highest I've had is 185. Before Bydureon I ranged between 120-150. I've also noticed that my ankles swell by the evening time. Which is somewhat new. During these four weeks I had stopped my Actos because I couldn't afford the copay and but I was able to restart it this week. I put a call into my doctor. I'll see what she has to say

April 12, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by Anon Female (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I am enjoying the results of Bydureon - 5th shot is tomorrow. I've lost 19 lbs and sometimes have to make myself eat something. The Bydureon is helping me eat very healthy, and I've lost my cravings for sweets and carbs. My sugars have dropped from 220-300 range to 90-110 range. I have energy to spare. I also take 500 mg of Metformin twice a day. No issues with lumps, but the medicine does burn at times when injected.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 8:53 PM

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Use it and love the results

March 10, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by David492 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I have taken Bydureon about 3 months. My blood sugar has gone from over 200 to 125-180 which is a nice improvement. I do not yet know what has happened to my A1c. I inject the Bydureon into my thigh. I alternate sides each week so each thigh has two weeks to recover. I have had no side effects. I have been trying to lose weight in 2014. So far I am down 14 pounds from 179 to 165 pounds.

March 8, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Smi359 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: Difficult to use but works. Constant indigestion (had same problem Byetta).

March 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by grateful so far (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: I've been on Bydureon for a year now. My HbA1c is running between 5.5 and 6.6. Every once in a while I will have nausea. But rarely. The diarrhea isn't to bad and counter that with Imodium ad. Weight lose has stopped. Was 295lbs when I first started Bydureon a year ago. I am now stuck at 275. But Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm sure didn't help any. I'm back on my strict diet. Of salads and turkey and tuna. So I'm sure to lose more weight, from where I don't know because I'm in decent shape. My blood sugars run from as low as 74 all the way up to 200. But mainly stay around 80 to 130. It has gotten more expensive for me. I was paying $20 a month. Now it has jumped to $150 a month.

March 6, 2014 12:05 AM