User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I had the Implanon put in March of 2009 and had it replaced in March of 2012 because I love it! Insertion was a breeze, and with the exception of the anesthetic, virtually painless. I have not had a full period since that first month with only (extremely) light spotting every few months. I have not had any noticable weight gain or mood swings due to the Implanon and even less outbreaks of acne since starting it. I would say the only downfall is also a perk, not getting my period. I have worried that I was pregnant, but it was just worry. Replacing it was just as effortless as the initial insertion. It can take anywhere from 3-30 min to remove it but it doesn't hurt. You will feel only a little bit of pressure. Mine only took 5 min to remove

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 23, 2012 3:49 AM
Review by Anela: User Rating:

I LOVE my Implanon! I've had it for over a year, insertion was painless and didn't leave a scar, and I get my periods every six months and they last just a couple days. And I haven't gotten pregnant! No monthly costs or runs to the pharmacy, nothing to remember, its awesome. But your results, obviously, will vary. Some people simply react badly to it, but if you react well to it, it could change your life. Might as well give it a try, right?

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2012 2:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I completely lost my sex drive and I had random bleeding.

October 17, 2012 12:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have 5 children & am 42 years old. My partner has had a vasectomy. I've never had a regular period - and have no interest in getting one now. So - I do not want a period. After my son was born 6 years ago - I went on the Mirena IUD - NO period was awesome & lasted 5 years. Last year I changed to the Implanon - I have had NO period and of course no pregnancy. But, in the past 6 months have gained 20 lbs! My hair & skin are extremely oily. Acne is horrible. and I fear I've had many of the other symptoms and just never thought Implanon could be a reason for moods, headaches, sore breasts, extreme weight gain and acne. I think it's time to remove but I don't want a period.

October 15, 2012 5:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was 17 when I had my daughter, about 6 weeks after giving birth I went in to get my Implanon put in. Weighing in at the Doctors I had lost all my baby weight but 5 pounds. I am 5'8 and weighed 145 (benched 115 with abs and everything) before pregnancy. I weight 180 right before giving birth and weighed 150 6 weeks after my daughter was born. I got the Implanon put in and everything was fantasic for almost a year. I noticed a little weight gain of about 10 pounds but I did boxing 2 hours a day. I didnt lose any weight I just stayed at 160 for about 7 months. I stopped boxing for a few months and within 3 months I was about 180 pounds, so I started eating smaller portions and working out like crazy because i was about to get married.

October 11, 2012 10:16 AM
Review by Mannay (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am 18. I have had the Implanon for about 2 months and I now find it disruptive to my sex life. At first everything was great until I started trying to have sexual intercourse with my boyfriend. Sex is now uncomfortable because of vaginal dryness, burning sex. The swelling came soon after. It is very embarrassing to have to explain to him even though he is very understanding. I'm am already thinking about switching over to the Depo.

October 10, 2012 11:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have had Implanon for 3 years now and I'm getting it removed in November and I honestly love it just in this last month I've had heavy periods its was awesome. I love it.

October 5, 2012 11:09 PM
Review by momEof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I read a lot of reviews before getting implanon. Having it put in was a breeze! For about the first year it was greatest birth control ever. Then I had my period. With it came extreme mood swings, low libido, pain in my arm where it was inserted and my period lasted about 2 months. For the second year I would have a period 3 out of 4 weeks a month and continued with other side effects. I am scheduled to have it taken out Monday. I am a little nervous about removal but we will see how it goes. Overall I am glad I tried it but ready to try something new.

October 2, 2012 8:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have had this for about a month now. I started while on my period and just started slightly spotting. I have been fine (no cramps, not tired, no weight gain, etc.). I did notice the day before I started spotting I felt BLAH. I felt like crying the whole day but The next day I started spotting and my mood was back to normal. I would give it more than just a month. They tell you that people react differently to each method and that some people will have a period on and off for up to 6 months. The insertion of it wasn't as bad as I thought. As others have said the most painful part was when they put the numbing medicine in and then if you bump it while its bruise, its still kind of tender for about a week after. Overall GREAT so far.

September 30, 2012 5:01 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I just wanted to post another side to this I'm 19 years old and I had the Implanon in for two years. I had horrible mood swings, hot flashes, weight gain, etc. I didn't get a period, I loved that. There are other side effects though you're more likely to catch virus' or have a sore throat all the time. Headaches that are beyond crippling I went to the hospital for them. I had it removed not long ago to find out I may need help to have a child if I ever want one in the near future. I think everyone is different who receives it but really read over the side effects.

September 27, 2012 4:24 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have been on Implanon for nine months now. First of all, let me say the the insertion was almost completely painless and very quick. I was a little sore for a few days after, and bruised, but nothing major. The first six months I will admit, I was ovely emotional (crying at everything on television, etc.), and also suffered mood swings along with heightened irritability. Those symptoms leveled off after six months. Since then, the only other noticeable side effect I have encountered is weight gain--I have gained a total of about ten pounds, but that also seems to have leveled off. I have had a total of three periods so far while on Implanon, and all three have been normal-light. I am very happy and would definitely recommend this product.

September 27, 2012 11:13 AM
Review by :) (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Thats sad so many people write so negative about this birth control. I on the other hand have had no issues I first got it in 2008 had it in all of the three years with a normal period and no side effects. After I got it out two months later I was pregnant. My baby girl is healthy and 4 weeks now. I have gotten Implanon a second time because it worked so well the first time. I highly recommend it as I do to all my friends and family.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 24, 2012 8:02 PM
Review by Cici7 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I first started Implanon in 2008. It's highly effective and at the time my periods were light and short. I kept it for all three years and had it removed about after a month it was due. The tech had to wiggle and tug a bit but overall it was not that bad. I asked to receive another Implanon in the same arm. I am now a year into my new Implanon and a few issues have come forth. About three times now, I have had my period for an entire month. The amount of bleeding changes throughout the month and my irritated state is affecting my relationship. I knew I cried more while on my period but crying and biting peoples heads off the whole month sucks. So it could either be a good or bad experience depending on the person.

September 24, 2012 1:25 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I got the Implanon inserted in late November of last year, everything was fine for 8 months. I was able to lose weight just fine (with diet and exercise). I did not experience moodiness or any of the side effects I read about online. I did have the occasional spotting but not an actual period, that is until four weeks ago, I started bleeding, a week went by and it slowed down and just when it seemed to be over I started again. It's been like this for over a month and I'm really considering getting it removed. At first I really loved it, but I'm tired of the bleeding.

September 23, 2012 9:57 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've had this birth control for over a month now and I love it. I bled for about four more days after insertion and haven't had a period yet. Or spotting. The doctor told me if I had prolonged bleeding that I could go to him, get some pills and the bleeding would stop. Most girls are too embarrassed about doing that. But there is something to stop the excessive bleeding.

September 19, 2012 4:18 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I wanted to write something here, because after reading all the bad reviews I almost didn't get Implanon. But I am so glad I did. I have had Implanon for four months. The first month I did have three weeks of spotting, which was rough. But after that I have only had very minor spotting once a month like a period. I don't have any of the period pain I used to (Headaches, horrible cramps) and I am much less moody as well (I used to burst into tears on the spot). I haven't gained any weight at all, although the doctor did say average weight gain in the first year in one pound. I can handle that after being on Natazia and gaining 30. I LOVE Implanon. It's easy and I barely have a period at all. Don't shy away because of bad reviews.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 17, 2012 10:52 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I love my Implanon! I got it put in when I was on my period and as soon as that period was over I have not experienced another one. The only downfall is that I have no sex drive at all. But, overall, this birth control proves very effective.

September 11, 2012 11:08 PM
Review by Kort (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have had the Implanon for five years, I love it. At the time I had a three year old and had just had a baby who didn't make it. I didn't want anymore kids. I didnt have a period the first year at all. The second year I started having one every 6 months. Normal periods. I did however bleed for two weeks once. I still recommend this form of birth control. It's a quick and easy form without all the Extra worry. Two years ago I got off to get pregnant and was pregnant within 7 days. I love this birth control. Don't be scared by the minor side effects, because they are not greater then a baby.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 10, 2012 6:18 AM
Review by amber03 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I started this birth control in February 2012. The numbing stuff hurt just like a normal shot, but after that I could just feel her touching my arm nothing else. For about a week later my arm was bruised and slightly sore when I lifted things, but nothing bad. My arm is fine now, just a tiny scar and of course you can feel the tiny implant in your arm when touched. I think its awesome! I had spotting for a few days the very next month, but I haven't had any bleeding or spotting since them. I have gained maybe five pounds since starting this, but also haven't been keeping up on working out or eating healthy so who knows which it's from. No mood swings or loss in sex drive. Everything is great and its awesome to not have any pregnancy worries.

September 8, 2012 12:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've had Implanon for about 9 months now. The insertion was pretty painful because the numbing medicine wasn't working and I got a nasty bruise. After I had it put in I haven't had a period and it's actually calmed my mood swings. The only negative is my skin is breaking out as if I'm a teenager going through puberty again.

September 7, 2012 4:30 AM
Review by rachaeldawn12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've had the implanon for 7 months now. I've wanted it out since the first month but listened to my ob when she said I just needed to let my body adjust to it. Well I've been in 3 times since then and every time they have some excuse as to why they can't take it out. It has made me so sad and depressed. I am moody, no libido and sleep at least 12 hours a day. I just want my old self back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 6, 2012 1:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I received Implanon in March 2012. I bled for about 2 weeks, and nothing since. No weight gain. Mood swings happen around the same time each month (like PMS) and it's like my body is saying Hey you are suppose to be having a period. After a few days that goes away. I think this is the best form of birth control. I took the pills and had an IUD before. The IUD was better than the pills but the IUD caused problems with sex. The Implanon causes me no problems at all. Highly recommend!

September 3, 2012 10:02 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I got the Implanon about 6 months ago and love it! I had 1 light period the week after I got it and nothing since. The only side effect I have is itching. It always seem to have a deep itch around it but no biggie. Your doctor can take it out early if it isn't working for you.

August 30, 2012 2:43 AM
Review by DaniJYone (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been on the Implanon for almost two years, I'm getting it replaced and putting in a new one sometime in January. I absolutely love it, I don't get my period for months at a time, my longest one was two months. When I do get it, it is the same I've always bled in the beginning of it, and after the first week or so it's nothing but a light bleeding if hardly any at all. I would recommend it, but you also have to take into consideration that any birth control affects people differently depending on how your body reacts to it. I love it, and have gotten scared about pregnancy since I had my daughter in March of 2010, but that's only from not getting it for months at a time. I haven't gotten pregnant when I should have. I love it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2012 12:34 AM
Review by Layaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have been on this birth control for approximately 6 months; I love not having to take pills everyday, for I am forgetful when it come to that. I read reviews, they scared me but at this point I do not think I am been affected by any of the bad symptoms of this birth control. I have not noticed any weight gain, I can still fit into all of my clothes :D nor have I noticed depression or moodiness. However, I think acne is a tiny issue, nothing major; my skin seems oily but this could be from the summer heat. Should I not gain weight with this, which is my biggest fear, I'll probably get it again after my 3 years are up.

August 27, 2012 9:44 PM