User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Loved it! (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have had the Implanon for almost 3 years. It's almost time to have it taken out. I have loved Implanon all 3 years. I have only had spotting when I was extremely stressed, other than that, no periods, no mood swings, no side effects. It's great for busy people who can't remember a pill. If I wasn't planning on conceiving in the next year, I would get another one. The only downfall is you have to be certain you want it, being as it is a surgical procedure to put it in and take it out. Which by the way was not bad at all. They numb you up and all you feel is slight pressure. Before you know it, it's finished. I recommend Implanon to all my friends who need birth control.

September 7, 2013 8:07 PM
Review by Abi* (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I am 23 years old, and I have had the Implanon for almost 3 years. I will get it exchanged next month. I have not had any terrible problems. A year or so ago I had a light period that lasted for at least a month. I usually have a light period of 3 days about every month. It has not caused me bad moodswings or any weight gain.I do eat healthy and walk. Overall, it has been great and prevented pregnancy! I recommend it to my friends.

September 6, 2013 3:32 PM
Review by SyndiAnn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am 22 years old and although I use condoms, I've decided to stop using them and I wanted to be extra careful not to get pregnant. Before getting the Implanon I was on Depo-Provera the 3 month shots. The shots worked better for me. Since getting the Implanon I have gained at least 7 pounds. I have decided to keep the Implanon. I am also nauseous, kind of often, but other than that I am okay. And it gives me a chance to focus on my future and one less thing to worry about in my relationship. Word of advice: Be prepared to workout to keep your shape.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2013 9:24 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It has done its job, I am not pregnant. I have had it since Jan of 2012 and my periods have been sporadic. The first year I spotted once every few months. Now into my second year of having it the spotting/light period will last months at a time. I have been bleeding with NO breaks since May. After my concern with the thought of having to go back to the dreaded routine of trying to remember taking a daily birth control pill wore off, I remembered the reason why I got the Implanon. To enjoy intimacy with my boyfriend without pregnancy. This doesn't happen with me bleeding more days out of the year than I am not. The ONLY complaint that I have is the spotting; I've had no weight gain, no increase in acne, no mood swings, etc.

August 31, 2013 10:53 PM
Review by momof282: User Rating:

Got my Implanon August 2012 at my 6 week check. Had one period, none since. I gained a few pounds but it's my fault. My sex drive has slowed some but other then that its great.

August 30, 2013 5:31 PM
Review by Navy Mom of twins: User Rating:

I've had this in since Nov 2012 I'm giving it a 7 because I'm not pregnant which is what it's supposed to do. However, I've hardly lost any baby weight (I exercise and watch what I eat) I also get my period at least twice a month and it's heavier than it ever was before. Seriously considering getting it taken out strictly because of the weight issues. I'm in the Navy and will probably never meet my weight requirement with it in.

August 21, 2013 11:18 PM
Review by CaitieLea (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I'm 25 with 2 kids, I got Implanon may 2012 I got it at my 6 week check up after giving birth and it was rough on body adjusting for another six weeks, but then it was absolutely great from then on though December. Then in Jan 2013 I started the first period I had since June 2012 and it has NOT stopped. I haven't had insurance until now so I couldn't afford to get checked out. Finally able to go and then set up an appointment to get it taken out, and that can't come soon.

August 18, 2013 10:08 AM
Review by Hate this:

I got mine in January 2013 and bleed for seven months straight. I finally got fed up with it and went to my doctor and he gave me MORE birth control to take. It stopped it in about two days but after I was done taking the whole pack I got some of the worst periods.

August 13, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by cdal (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I really liked the fact that I didn't have to remember to take a pill. I've had my Implanon since Jan. 2013. I loved it at first I had a one week period the first month. The last 3 months I've had my period non stop. I'm getting mine removed this week.

August 11, 2013 9:21 PM
Review by Andreaaa: User Rating:

I have my Implanon since January 2013. I'm happy with that so much. My period is every two months. Only one side effect is my breast pains two weeks before period.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 7:43 PM
Review by SFMorales (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've had my Implanon since May 30th 2013. I have not stopped bleeding since I got it. I have crazy mood swings, I get extremely depressed, crave junk food, sex drive is way down, I get horrible headaches, and abdominal pain.

August 7, 2013 6:03 AM
Review by mandy9090: User Rating:

I give this a 5 because it does prevent pregnancy, yet so did my pill. Switched because I wanted something I didn't have to remember to take. Been on this for a year now the first 5 months were alright. But the last 7 months I've noticed my period is heavy and gets me light headed. I have more migraines which I never experienced before Implanon. Sex drive is way down, bad mood swings, and constantly tired. Before Implanon I was extremely healthy, now I feel like crap almost every day. Getting removed once insurance starts up.

August 6, 2013 2:34 PM

I'm 18 and have had my Implanon for a year and a half. I have not gotten pregnant or had the burden of taking a pill everyday but since I've had it inserted I have gained about 15 lbs and developed really bad acne on my face and body. I also have only had 2 periods. After the first month of having it I bled nonstop. I'm having mine removed this week.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 5, 2013 9:08 PM
Review by Jaymm: User Rating:

I've had Implanon since November and I've only had a couple of periods, NO cramps or PMS. My sex drive has gone down and my weight has gone up by about 50lbs and its hard to get off considering I don't have a period to get rid of the retained fluid but all in all I love that I haven't got pregnant.

August 4, 2013 11:02 AM
Review by xtinarp: User Rating:

I've had my implanon in for 3 years, and I am getting it removed next Wednesday. I didn't get pregnant the past 3 years, so it did its job. I did however gain 50 lbs in the first 3 months of having it and have kept the weight on this whole time, hopefully after its removal I will be able to lose some weight. I've also had more headaches since the implant, (3-4 a week) but I haven't had a period or any random bleeding these past 3 years.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2013 7:14 PM
Review by MommyNesa (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have had my arm implant since July 5th 2012 and my experience are good and bad. Good things are I have not gotten pregnant. The bad things are I have not gotten my period ever since I mean it is good who wouldn't be happy about that more than 1 year without a period, the bad thing is I think all those things are retained in my body, also I have gained so much weight, I stand at 190 lbs. I have tried watching what I eat, no junk food and exercising, Zumba and nothing, not even one pound. I am overweight and it gets me depressed.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2013 1:59 PM
Review by Miss no sex: User Rating:

I've had my Implanon since October of 2011. I spotted for a few days right after I had it inserted but then I didn't get my period for well over a year! I've only had my period once since then and I'm happy with that. On the other hand I have noticed various mood changes and a little depression. The worst part is my sex drive has gone down so much. My husband doesn't believe me when I say it's the hormones (I almost didn't believe myself at one point) but after reading all these reviews I'm sure it is. It's a great method of birth control but definitely affects everyone differently, so far as not getting pregnant, it works.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2013 11:01 AM
Review by Ni-Vi (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I LOVE THIS. I have had my Implanon since March 2012 and it is great. There will be times that I go for about 2 or 3 months with no period and then get one for 2 weeks. But it doesn't bother me. I don't get cramps anymore and I wrestle with my kids and my boyfriend and I never notice the implant at all. No negatives to this! I hope that everyone learns the joy of this!

July 21, 2013 9:49 AM
Review by KathyS61 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I am 51 year old on my 2nd Implanon device; the first one replaced at 3 years as recommended. I did gain some weight, but it's more a water retention thing. I used to have very painful periods, which is why my GYN recommended it. I'm one of the lucky ones. Have not had any periods in 5 years, (spotted a bit the first month only) and plan to continue to use the Implanon until I'm completely menopausal (still perimenopausal). The only reason I can't give it a 10 is whenever my blood pressure is taken in the left arm, the implant site "pinches", solved by having BP taken on the other arm, but I was told I shouldn't be able to notice it. Cost a bit up front (even with insurance), but saved on prescription co-pays for 3 years so still cost effective.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2013 11:06 AM
Review by daria beckham: User Rating:

I have had Implanon since September 7, 2012 I haven't gotten my period since or spotting. I don't have any side effects at all, I love it and I haven't gotten pregnant. I was on the pill before this and would always forget to drink it so this has made my life so much easier. no weight gain, no headaches, no side effects I LOVE LOVE IT!!

July 6, 2013 1:32 PM
Review by Silver Moonlight: User Rating:

I got mine beginning of May 2013. For the first month I didn't bleed, but then I got my period early June. I was worried that I was going to be bleeding for the next several months (since I had a bad experience with bleeding with the shot), but I only bled for about two weeks! I haven't had sex yet while on the Implanon so I'm worried that after I do have sex again while on it I might bleed again. But so far I love it!

June 27, 2013 7:36 PM
Review by Iesha Gatlin (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I've got the Implanon in Feb 2013. The first day I had nausea but the doctor told me that would be expected. I was on Depo before this. My first period was 3 days. My next period was 2 weeks long. My side effects are cramps, headaches, depression and sore breasts. I like the fact I haven't got pregnant but the bleeding part drives me crazy. If the periods didn't come often and the side effects weren't so big I would love this but periods are the negative.

June 20, 2013 7:36 AM
Review by ______Nina: User Rating:

I've only had Implanon for 6 months. They say anything can happen so they can't tell you much about your period. But, in my experience I've had no period so far and no cramps or PMS symptoms. I don't believe the Implanon made me gain weight. I was gradually gaining my Freshman 25 in college from September-May and I got the Implanon in January. It didn't make me gain weight abnormally. I just continued my weight gain from eating such unhealthy food at school. Since then, I've lost 17 pounds and I don't believe the Implanon has slowed down any of the weight loss. Unfortunately, reviews are not going to help you because Implanon is strictly person to person, when it comes to side effects. In my case, I love Implanon!

June 19, 2013 4:36 PM
Review by snickedy snick snick (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I had implant from April 2011 to June 2013. The first year could not have been better, no weight gain, no period whatsoever, no spotting, no moodiness, nothing! It was just so perfect! March 2012 I instantly gained 15 pounds and had a period that lasted almost 2 weeks. I thought it was water weight and a long period because I hadn't had one in almost a year. My horrible periods became unbearable in May 2013. I would soak through super plus tampons in 2 hours, and this lasted 2 weeks. If it had stayed like it was the first year I'd still be on it, but everything changed after about a year. So that's why I give this a 5.

June 19, 2013 12:13 AM
Review by Tessa_Lashe: User Rating:

I have had Implanon for almost three years, it has worked amazing for me. I didn't have to worry about taking a pill everyday or remembering to take a ring out ever three weeks and put it back in a week later. I have had an amazing experience with this birth control and plan to get a new one soon.

June 16, 2013 10:12 PM