Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

Ovarian Cysts 5 reviews 55 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo reviews 149 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Overall I was very satisfied with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I only got breakthrough bleeding for the whole of second week of the first pack, and then that was it. It did not lighten my periods (if anything they were heavier for a couple of days), but it did decrease cramps and nausea. I did have slight nausea (especially during the first week of each new pack), but it more more of an occasional annoyance, nothing disruptive. I only had one night in which I experienced extreme nausea, but just power through this and hopefully it goes away! The only reason I stopped taking this pill is because I get aura migraines, and my doctor thought it best for me to try something different. Otherwise, I really was happy with this pill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2012 5:29 PM

Review by Racheal.F (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: This is my 2nd time on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. First time was great. No side effects. I took it for around a year then decided to switch to Depo. Here I am again taking it, only this time is bad! I get a daily headache, really bad nausea followed with occasional vomiting, cramps, spotting, vaginal dryness, my sex drive has gone out the window, leg cramps in my calf, bloating, yeast infections and frequent urinary tract infections. I'm not sure where or when my body changed to completely dislike this birth control. It has kept me unpregnant which is the only good thing.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2012 1:15 PM

Review by Jasmine I. (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been using this pill for three weeks now. I've experienced no side effects at all. No nausea, headaches, cramps, weight gain or spotting. It doesn't feel like anything has changed. Actually I think I noticed mild mood swings. I can get really mad from a small comment. My period should start any day now so I'm curious to see if it will be lighter with less cramps.

May 10, 2012 1:27 PM

For Birth Control: My body had a very bad reaction to this. I only took it for two days and I began to experience severe side effects including: insomnia, extreme depression, anxiety, nausea, irritability and light abdominal pain. I felt like this pill made me into a different person. I switched to a different type of hormonal birth control pill immediately.

April 26, 2012 1:02 AM

For Birth Control: I've been on the pill for a solid 4 months now and have had overall no bad experiences. It has taken my body a bit to get used to it but I haven't experienced mood swings, nausea, or headaches. It has helped me to regulate my period, even lighten my flow. I normally have really terrible and painful periods but after the 3rd month my cramps became more bearable. I have moderate acne and its caused my skin to become a little red but its starting to go away now. I'd say the only con is my period lasts about 6-7 days.... Maybe that will change later on. I haven't experienced weight gain but I hope I do. But overall I suggest it to women who have had bad experiences with high dosage birth control pill. I went from YAZ to this and feel better.

April 16, 2012 2:46 PM

For Birth Control: I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen because this is what I received from the health department for free when I didn't have insurance and was a poor full time student. I was taking this for about 4 years. The best thing about it is that I never got pregnant. However, I had extremely heavy periods lasting 5-6 days until it was finished completely; painful cramps, spotting lightly at times, spotting heavily; mood swings; fatigue and recurrent yeast infections. I finally made it back to my regular OBGYN after getting insurance again and she placed me on Beyaz. So far so good.

April 10, 2012 6:52 PM

Review by JessIccca:

I've been using this pill for about 3 years now and I love it. I get my period on time every time for only 3-4 days, no cramps, no mood changes or weight gain. I highly recommend it.

April 5, 2012 3:22 PM

Review by Jennay:

For Birth Control: Well, I started taking it back in 2011 in June after getting HORRIBLE side effects from LoSeasonique. It caused me to breakout (even on my thighs) and I retained water like no other. So, my doctor put me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. When I first started it, there were not any side effects for the first few weeks. After the first pack, that's when I got side effects. My face broke out. But I stuck to it. It has to get worse before it can get better right? I do occasionally have a breakout still to this day. But I have not gained weight. I haven't been sexually active while on it so I cannot say it helps keep me from getting pregnant. I was put on it for my severe cramps I get. It DOES make my periods lighter and no cramps!

March 30, 2012 5:57 PM

Review by melanie 26:

For Birth Control: I switched from Yaz to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and I've been on it for almost three years. I liked it for the most part, my period was very predictable every month with minor pain-no mood swings or weight gain. I do get yeast infections more often than I ever have before though and I did get breast tenderness from time to time. I have now been off it for almost three weeks because my hands and feet have been swelling up. I've been tested for everything and so far all my blood work has come back negative so the only culprit at this moment is the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2012 10:56 PM

Review by MeeShelly:

For Birth Control: I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for four months. My period use to be random and I would bleed heavily for 7 to 8 days. I had horrible cramps and nausea. Horrible moody PMS. Now... Light periods, 3 to 4 days. Same time. I've gained weight while on the pill, my breasts got bigger but I was petite to begin with. No acne. At the beginning I was emotional for the first month but now I'm not. Only thing that is happening now is I have pain during sex. I would be ready to go but once my boyfriend and I try it hurts for him to put it in, and I'll have to stop because it hurts so bad. I'm making an appointment now to see the doctor but I've heard it's because of the low dose of estrogen.

March 2, 2012 2:47 PM

For Birth Control: I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 9-10 years other than when I got off of it to have my 3 children. I never had any weight gain, acne problems, and never had any heavy bleeding. I had a light period and occasional moodiness but nothing out of the ordinary. BUT! I have noticed a SEVERE lack of sex drive!! As in no sex drive at all, nothing, notta, zero, zilch!! This is a great pill to take if you don't care to have a sex life and are not married.

February 17, 2012 3:24 PM

For Endometriosis: I only took 3 pills and immediately I had sharp pains in my legs and arms. It bothered my stomach even though I took it with food. I had ear pain at night. This pill was not right for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2012 11:07 AM

For Birth Control: I have been taking Ortho Tricyclen lo for 2 months now and have gained about 15 pounds. This morning my jeans were to tight. I am expecting period on Wednesday. I also experience a very heavy period last month, heavier than I have ever had. I also had cramping all month the first month and bleeding. It was very hard to deal with. I am not comfortable with the weight gain. I have also experienced mood swings. Lots of crying about things that I would normally not cry about...stuff like the car didn't start!

January 21, 2012 2:25 PM

Review by Mkz:

For Ovarian Cysts: I have tried this pill for a month now. My symptoms include headaches, blurry vision, sleeplessness and spotting for the entire month! Definitely going to try something else to keep the cysts under control, probably Depo shot. I was on the shot for a few years a while ago and had no symptoms with no periods at all, can do without those!

January 20, 2012 3:11 AM

Review by Moody&Child-free in PA:

For Birth Control: I switched from Loestrin 24 Fe to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo after being on the former for over a year and a half and still not having predictable periods. Ortho has regulated my period, which was miraculous to me, especially since I also have a thyroid condition which makes it even more unpredictable, and I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding/spotting. One thing I did notice on Ortho, however, is a new moodiness I've never had before. I found myself crying over silly things and swinging in and out of depressed states daily, which is very scary to me because I am usually the 'guy' in my relationships without the emotional tendencies that most women have. I just hope it lessens, though, because otherwise this birth control is great.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2012 4:49 AM

Review by krisssie:

For Birth Control: I do not like this pill at all. I always have headaches. I'm moody and depressed. I'm on Zoloft for that and its not working since I've been on this birth control pill my vagina always hurts especially during and after sex and I suffer from dryness. I'm 15 I shouldn't have that problem.

December 14, 2011 3:20 PM

For Birth Control: I have just finished my first month of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. Before starting this pill my Dr. put me on Lo Loestrin Fe. I had the WORST time with that pill. I bleed the entire month, heavy for the most part. I was extremely moody and tired all the time and to top it off I got the yeast infection from hell. I couldn't stay on it anymore. When I found out about Ortho TriCyclen Lo I read a lot of reviews and was scared to death to start taking this. There were TONS of negative things said about this pill. I honestly have to say that this pill is great. It feels like your not taking anything. I just started my period, and its light. I do have some cramps, but its nothing extreme. I would suggest this pill to anyone. The only bad thing about it is that it is expensive.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2011 7:52 PM

Review by ughNJ:

For Birth Control: I don't think I noticed this at first or even realized the pill was the cause, but this pill gave me terrible headaches for 3-4 days during my period. I am hungry and moody before my period. The period is very light, which is a plus, but I can't stand the headaches. It feels like I have a sinus infection and taking Advil non stop doesn't help. It's not worth it. I would LOVE to have cramps instead of headaches.

December 3, 2011 2:33 PM

Review by tee20011:

I love this birth control because no spotting between periods. A little emotional from the birth control. No mood swings. My last birth control made me bleed constantly every month so I stopped taking it and then I got pregnant and then I went on this birth control and I could be happier. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2011 7:27 PM

Review by Cam.:

For Birth Control: I have been on this for two years now, and am very happy with it. I'm not as stressed and when I'm on my period, it helps with the pains, and the few times I'd stopped taking it, while I was on my period, my boyfriend mentioned that I'd turned into a little devil when I'd stopped taking it.

November 27, 2011 8:14 PM

Review by Tatyana40813:

For Birth Control: I'm 17 and my doctor has given me this birth control twice. My head always hurts, I never feel normal, I'm always sleepy currently about to go to sleep.

November 17, 2011 4:39 AM

For Birth Control: I took this pill for about a month. And in that month, I thought I was doing fine. No mood swings, nausea, headaches, not as much acne. But then my mom pulls me out of my room one day and tells me that I was gaining weight. I thought I had noticed it, but thought it was just because I was eating a lot. Being on this pill made me overly hungry all the time.

November 5, 2011 1:12 PM

Review by isariana:

For Birth Control: I just started this today would be my 3rd day taking it. My face is clear. I never get uncomfortable cramps so I cannot really notice the pill. I really like them, did not get any side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2011 2:55 PM

Amazing, with no side effects that I can feel.

October 3, 2011 3:59 AM

Review by NotInLove:

For Birth Control: This pill is making me miserable. Since starting the pill three months ago, I have had mood swings, cramping and periods that last between 10-14 days. I have never had a problem with my menstrual cycle until starting this pill. The real reason you won't get pregnant on this pill is because you are ALWAYS on your period! My pre-menstrual symptoms are also worse than ever. I am bloated three weeks out of every month, have terrible cramps and almost no sex drive. I would not recommend this pill to anyone.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate