User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

Learn more about Microgestin Fe 1/20.

Endometriosis 6 reviews 175 medications

Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Microgestin Fe 1/20 reviews 202 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

Review by crysf6028 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I been on this pill for a little over 4 months now so far so good up until today I had the worst experience ever. I was having a bad mood or anxiety attack. I had company over and I felt so overwhelmed. I lost focused and wondered off into space. I couldn't focus properly. I also felt so tensed up and just wanted to scream. When my company left I felt short of breath and my whole body felt so achy. I almost called for medical help. I finally gathered myself together and called my friend who is a nurse. The first thing she asked is which birth control are you taking.? She knew exactly why I was going crazy. It makes me so moody but never this bad.

October 3, 2014 12:57 AM

Review by devon99:

For Birth Control: I have been on this pill for 3 weeks and already can't wait to switch to something else. After the first week I became severely depressed with heavy mood swings and no sex drive at all. I cried at everything. I felt nauseous almost every day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by Jocey1990:

For Birth Control: Well the first 2 months on Microgestin Fe 1/20 my period didn't regulate until the third month. I started the 4th month pack & got my period a week before & it's a super light flow. I called my doctor & they prescribed me a higher dosage 1.5/30 and they said for sure my period should cut off & regulate. But I didn't have any side effects or weight gain or bad acne. I'm going to finish this first pack if I don't like it then I'll switch to Aviane.

September 2, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by JNVW:

For Acne: When I first started this medicine, I would get headaches and feel super sleepy within the first 5 minutes of taking it. But those side effects subsided as I got to my next pill pack. Probably the worst part of this medication is that it caused me to have more and consistent acne than before (which is one reason why I wanted birth control in the first place). Along with acne, Microgestin Fe 1/20 caused the skin above my upper lip to darken (known as Melasma). It wasn't too noticeable at first, but as summer went on, and with more sun, it got worse. It was effective as a birth control and good with period regulation but I wasn't pleased with the negative side-effects AT ALL so I have recently switched over to Gianvi.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by missdolly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Menstrual Disorders: I have been on Microgestin 1/20 for about three weeks now and the side effects were not shy. First two days I had bad migraines, the third and fourth had cramps and the fifth to seventh day I was extremely depressed. I cried over almost everything and anything. Starting the second week it seemed like things were going okay until I started bleeding and it hasn't stopped. Isn't that the whole purpose? I got over my period two and a half weeks ago and now I'm getting it again and there are no signs of it stopping anytime soon. Good thing is I don't have mood swings or anything anymore but this excessive bleeding is now the problem.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Kelikinza:

For Birth Control: I was on Microgestin for about 3 years. Over the past year, I started to get extremely bad headaches during the sugar pill week. I took extra strength Tylenol the entire week, twice a day, and it still didn't make my headaches go away. I also would feel very lightheaded and nauseous. I had to leave work early, it was bad. The only good thing was I've had the same box of tampons for the entire year. I barely had a period. Oh yeah, I also got high pigmentation right above my lips. They call it a "pregnancy mask" but you can get it with certain birth control. It is very dark and it is difficult to hide with makeup! I'm not a big fan of having a weird skin mustache so I went off it.

August 1, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by LRHB:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Review by CN88:

For Birth Control: I only tried this pill for barely under 3 weeks because I couldn't take the side effects anymore! I might have been allergic to something in the pill. The final time taking it, itched my legs for 10 straight min, causing me to break out in hives. Among the other issues I experienced on Microgestin was chest pain, body soreness, breast tenderness and moodiness. This pill was a nightmare for me. Except it caused my period to be very light, which was awesome. Switched to Tri-Sprintec and so far (1 week) it's been fine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by mitzi2011$$:

For Menstrual Disorders: I love this pill.I have been on it for 3 years..it regulates my period and the lost of appetite has helped with weight lost..in February 2013 I weighted 282 it is July 2014 and I weight 236. I'm more emotional to movies and everything but thats fine

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by Paige h:

For Menstrual Disorders: I've been on this for two cycles and I hardly have any side effects! No weight gain or nausea like some others have experienced on it. I'm a little more sensitive and get more upset over things but overall it's been great. Just keep yourself in check and remember that you're on hormones when you start getting overly sensitive. I would recommend this.

July 6, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Dora Eugenia:

For Birth Control: I have been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for almost 9 Months & I have to say that I can't complain. This birth control has worked very well with my body, few days or none periods, I do actually notice I get really emotional. Haven't noticed any difference in sex drive. Overall great pill.

July 5, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by claveles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin for almost three months now; I switched over from Previfem. During the first month or so, my sex drive decreased a bit and I was nauseated in the morning sometimes. I did notice some mood swings, too. Since I've been on it for a while, though, the symptoms have let up. My withdrawal bleeds only last for about 3-5 days, and they're light. I do have backaches and cramps periodically throughout my cycle, but they're manageable with a little ibuprofen. My breasts swell a bit and get sore around my placebo week, but that's not really a big deal. Overall, I'm happy with Microgestin. I haven't gotten pregnant, so that's awesome, and the side effects are minimal. Also, my skin is looking good!

June 24, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin for 3 weeks. I started taking it on the 1st day of my period and it make my (normally VERY regular period) last for 8 days (it usually lasts 4-5)! For the entire time I have been very moody, bloated, retaining water, have had cramps, nausea, acne, breakthrough bleeding, EVERYTHING. THE WHOLE TIME. I literally feel like I have been on my period for 3 weeks. I keep hoping that eventually my body will get used to these hormones. My doctor said it will take 1-3 months to regulate, but I don't know if I want to live like I'm on my period for 3 full months.

June 21, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by Mad sad angry annoyed (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I'm currently on a mood swing so forgive me. Although I've just started this pill 3 weeks ago. Every other day I cry for no reason. Then I get angry and mad and just lose my appetite. And sick to my stomach. I feel bloated daily and just annoyed. I have my good days. I was so much more happy though before the pill. And the only great thing is my breasts grew like 2 sizes haha. Other than that I'm making an appointment tomorrow. I'm fed up with these strange mood swings.

June 14, 2014 5:47 AM

Review by JTG3133:

For Birth Control: I started Microgestin 9 days ago - 2 days after starting it I started having the worst heartburn I have had in years, in spite of the fact that I take Prilosec daily. 3 days after starting it I started getting bloated - I could hear the air moving around my GI tract, had horrible gas pains and looked pregnant. Add in intermittent nausea the next day. I gained 1lb this week - which isn't much I know, but considering I'm on a concentrated diet and exercise program and have been steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week for 3 months.... Nothing else in my life has changed, so I could only attribute all of this to the pill. My doc said this isn't a side effect... but clearly from what I read, it is! Stopped today, feel better tonight already.

May 18, 2014 11:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I recently decided to get back on this pill, after I was off it for a few months. My experience has been slightly different from the first time I took it. As it has in the past, my skin has completely cleared up, however this time around I am feeling extremely nauseaus, lost my sex drive, and I am constantly and randomly just bursting into tears. This might just be temporary side affects, hopefully it gets better soon...

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by A. Rose:

For Birth Control: I have been taking these pills for the past two months. Usually I'm a very rational person, but after taking them I have extreme mood swings, and minor disagreements turn into week-long fights. I stopped taking them last night due to it almost ending my relationship. No pill should be able to cause such a drastic difference in personality. I also have irregular bleeding between periods, but hey at least I'm not pregnant.

May 10, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Emilyyy:

For Menstrual Disorders: I was put on Microgestin because I have awful cramps at the start of my period, and ovarian cyst ruptures that would put me in the hospital. Microgestin took the cramps away, as well as my period! I was on it for 7 months before I began to realize that it was giving me some bad side effects. I felt nauseous, had blurred vision, shortness of breath, and felt tired all the time. I also experienced hot flashes and some mood swings. Today is my first day OFF the pill, and I can already feel the cramps. Guess I will have to decide which one is worse, the cramps or the side effects.

May 5, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Lorie_Blaze:

For Birth Control: I was on Microgestin Fe for about 2 years . Even In the beginning I never had any bad/abnormal side effects. With it I experienced a small amount of weight gain, tender breast every month around my cycle, increase in my breast size, and my monthly periods lasting 2-4 days with minimal cramping. The only reason I switched was because I wanted less periods. (I switched to Amethia-Lo and I've been on it for about a week now. I hoping it works well with me but if not, I'll definitely switched back to Microgestin Fe).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by 2014Mel:

For Endometriosis: As I aged, and after my son born by c-section my periods were getting more painful, where it was hard to function the day I got my period. I saw my dr who found endometriosis and recommended a hysterectomy or the pill. Microgestin FE it is! It has been WONDERFUL. I am skipping the placebo week and taking a pill every day. I haven't had a period in a year, and I feel amazing. Acne has also cleared. Two not so great things: Gas. All day, every day, and a sweet tooth that was never there before. I have not gained any weight in a year, but I work out pretty regularly. So happy with my pill regimen.

April 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Distortedsoundz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Slowed down my abnormal bleeding after a few weeks, it stopped altogether then started up again but not to the degree that it was before I was taking it. I've gained 10 lbs from it. I eat half of what I used to, ad eat an extremely healthy diet. I do 30 mins of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training 5-6 days a week plus bicycling 7 days a week. I've had awful mood swings and depression. Bad headaches on top of it.

April 14, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Brooklynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have been taking this pill for about 6 months, to prevent pregnancy. I've had regularly light periods and my appetite has drastically decreased, but I haven't been losing weight. It slowed my sex drive down in the first few months of use, but my drive is back to normal now. I am also very moody, lethargic, and constipated. However, I like it since it is preventing me from getting pregnant and it's free.

March 31, 2014 7:04 PM

Review by RodriguezSC:

Last year I began to take these pills and with also having crazy mood swings, I started to have chronic yeast infections. I did all the blood work REPEATEDLY (also expensive) and I came out negative for everything. After about 7 months on the pill I decided to stop. After that yeast infections stopped and I was back to my old self. I don't recall ever losing sex drive but definitely moody. Last month my nurse practitioner gave me Microgestin again just to see if the yeast infections would come back. Have been nauseous, really bloated, no mood swings yet and no yeast infection yet (knocking on wood). Hopefully this time around it works for me or else I'm switching to the Mirena or Nuvaring.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Haykay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Yes it is effective as a birth control contraceptive. The side effects I have had loss of sex drive, moodiness, weight gain and an irregular menstrual cycle. I stopped taking that pack of pills the end of January 2014 as of now I have yet to have a menstrual cycle. Something is right.

March 12, 2014 6:23 AM

Review by Tall girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin 1/20 for 4 months. Gained weight, mood swings, horrible cramps and bleeding in between periods. I don't feel like myself at all. I've been bleeding for 7 days now. They only thing this had done for is heighten my sex drive. I've decided to stop taking it. Going back to condoms.

February 26, 2014 8:31 PM