User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

Learn more about Microgestin Fe 1/20.

Endometriosis 6 reviews 175 medications

Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Microgestin Fe 1/20 reviews 196 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

Review by LRHB:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

July 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Review by CN88:

For Birth Control: I only tried this pill for barely under 3 weeks because I couldn't take the side effects anymore! I might have been allergic to something in the pill. The final time taking it, itched my legs for 10 straight min, causing me to break out in hives. Among the other issues I experienced on Microgestin was chest pain, body soreness, breast tenderness and moodiness. This pill was a nightmare for me. Except it caused my period to be very light, which was awesome. Switched to Tri-Sprintec and so far (1 week) it's been fine.

July 20, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by mitzi2011$$:

For Menstrual Disorders: I love this pill.I have been on it for 3 years..it regulates my period and the lost of appetite has helped with weight lost..in February 2013 I weighted 282 it is July 2014 and I weight 236. I'm more emotional to movies and everything but thats fine

July 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by Paige h:

For Menstrual Disorders: I've been on this for two cycles and I hardly have any side effects! No weight gain or nausea like some others have experienced on it. I'm a little more sensitive and get more upset over things but overall it's been great. Just keep yourself in check and remember that you're on hormones when you start getting overly sensitive. I would recommend this.

July 6, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Dora Eugenia:

For Birth Control: I have been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for almost 9 Months & I have to say that I can't complain. This birth control has worked very well with my body, few days or none periods, I do actually notice I get really emotional. Haven't noticed any difference in sex drive. Overall great pill.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by claveles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin for almost three months now; I switched over from Previfem. During the first month or so, my sex drive decreased a bit and I was nauseated in the morning sometimes. I did notice some mood swings, too. Since I've been on it for a while, though, the symptoms have let up. My withdrawal bleeds only last for about 3-5 days, and they're light. I do have backaches and cramps periodically throughout my cycle, but they're manageable with a little ibuprofen. My breasts swell a bit and get sore around my placebo week, but that's not really a big deal. Overall, I'm happy with Microgestin. I haven't gotten pregnant, so that's awesome, and the side effects are minimal. Also, my skin is looking good!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin for 3 weeks. I started taking it on the 1st day of my period and it make my (normally VERY regular period) last for 8 days (it usually lasts 4-5)! For the entire time I have been very moody, bloated, retaining water, have had cramps, nausea, acne, breakthrough bleeding, EVERYTHING. THE WHOLE TIME. I literally feel like I have been on my period for 3 weeks. I keep hoping that eventually my body will get used to these hormones. My doctor said it will take 1-3 months to regulate, but I don't know if I want to live like I'm on my period for 3 full months.

June 21, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by Mad sad angry annoyed (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I'm currently on a mood swing so forgive me. Although I've just started this pill 3 weeks ago. Every other day I cry for no reason. Then I get angry and mad and just lose my appetite. And sick to my stomach. I feel bloated daily and just annoyed. I have my good days. I was so much more happy though before the pill. And the only great thing is my breasts grew like 2 sizes haha. Other than that I'm making an appointment tomorrow. I'm fed up with these strange mood swings.

June 14, 2014 5:47 AM

Review by JTG3133:

For Birth Control: I started Microgestin 9 days ago - 2 days after starting it I started having the worst heartburn I have had in years, in spite of the fact that I take Prilosec daily. 3 days after starting it I started getting bloated - I could hear the air moving around my GI tract, had horrible gas pains and looked pregnant. Add in intermittent nausea the next day. I gained 1lb this week - which isn't much I know, but considering I'm on a concentrated diet and exercise program and have been steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week for 3 months.... Nothing else in my life has changed, so I could only attribute all of this to the pill. My doc said this isn't a side effect... but clearly from what I read, it is! Stopped today, feel better tonight already.

May 18, 2014 11:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I recently decided to get back on this pill, after I was off it for a few months. My experience has been slightly different from the first time I took it. As it has in the past, my skin has completely cleared up, however this time around I am feeling extremely nauseaus, lost my sex drive, and I am constantly and randomly just bursting into tears. This might just be temporary side affects, hopefully it gets better soon...

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by A. Rose:

For Birth Control: I have been taking these pills for the past two months. Usually I'm a very rational person, but after taking them I have extreme mood swings, and minor disagreements turn into week-long fights. I stopped taking them last night due to it almost ending my relationship. No pill should be able to cause such a drastic difference in personality. I also have irregular bleeding between periods, but hey at least I'm not pregnant.

May 10, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Emilyyy:

For Menstrual Disorders: I was put on Microgestin because I have awful cramps at the start of my period, and ovarian cyst ruptures that would put me in the hospital. Microgestin took the cramps away, as well as my period! I was on it for 7 months before I began to realize that it was giving me some bad side effects. I felt nauseous, had blurred vision, shortness of breath, and felt tired all the time. I also experienced hot flashes and some mood swings. Today is my first day OFF the pill, and I can already feel the cramps. Guess I will have to decide which one is worse, the cramps or the side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Lorie_Blaze:

For Birth Control: I was on Microgestin Fe for about 2 years . Even In the beginning I never had any bad/abnormal side effects. With it I experienced a small amount of weight gain, tender breast every month around my cycle, increase in my breast size, and my monthly periods lasting 2-4 days with minimal cramping. The only reason I switched was because I wanted less periods. (I switched to Amethia-Lo and I've been on it for about a week now. I hoping it works well with me but if not, I'll definitely switched back to Microgestin Fe).

April 25, 2014 2:06 PM

Review by 2014Mel:

For Endometriosis: As I aged, and after my son born by c-section my periods were getting more painful, where it was hard to function the day I got my period. I saw my dr who found endometriosis and recommended a hysterectomy or the pill. Microgestin FE it is! It has been WONDERFUL. I am skipping the placebo week and taking a pill every day. I haven't had a period in a year, and I feel amazing. Acne has also cleared. Two not so great things: Gas. All day, every day, and a sweet tooth that was never there before. I have not gained any weight in a year, but I work out pretty regularly. So happy with my pill regimen.

April 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Distortedsoundz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Slowed down my abnormal bleeding after a few weeks, it stopped altogether then started up again but not to the degree that it was before I was taking it. I've gained 10 lbs from it. I eat half of what I used to, ad eat an extremely healthy diet. I do 30 mins of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training 5-6 days a week plus bicycling 7 days a week. I've had awful mood swings and depression. Bad headaches on top of it.

April 14, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Brooklynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have been taking this pill for about 6 months, to prevent pregnancy. I've had regularly light periods and my appetite has drastically decreased, but I haven't been losing weight. It slowed my sex drive down in the first few months of use, but my drive is back to normal now. I am also very moody, lethargic, and constipated. However, I like it since it is preventing me from getting pregnant and it's free.

March 31, 2014 7:04 PM

Review by RodriguezSC:

Last year I began to take these pills and with also having crazy mood swings, I started to have chronic yeast infections. I did all the blood work REPEATEDLY (also expensive) and I came out negative for everything. After about 7 months on the pill I decided to stop. After that yeast infections stopped and I was back to my old self. I don't recall ever losing sex drive but definitely moody. Last month my nurse practitioner gave me Microgestin again just to see if the yeast infections would come back. Have been nauseous, really bloated, no mood swings yet and no yeast infection yet (knocking on wood). Hopefully this time around it works for me or else I'm switching to the Mirena or Nuvaring.

March 12, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Haykay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Yes it is effective as a birth control contraceptive. The side effects I have had loss of sex drive, moodiness, weight gain and an irregular menstrual cycle. I stopped taking that pack of pills the end of January 2014 as of now I have yet to have a menstrual cycle. Something is right.

March 12, 2014 6:23 AM

Review by Tall girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin 1/20 for 4 months. Gained weight, mood swings, horrible cramps and bleeding in between periods. I don't feel like myself at all. I've been bleeding for 7 days now. They only thing this had done for is heighten my sex drive. I've decided to stop taking it. Going back to condoms.

February 26, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by ambird (taken for 10 years or more):

For Birth Control: Suffered from horrible cramping early in my menstruation (started age 11). To combat cramps and prevent pregnancy I have been on oral contraceptives for 11 years. Age 17-19 Ortho, 20 Loestrin, 21-29 Microgestrin. On this have had two very light periods with typical cramping every month for the past 7(ish) years (Which I didn't mind too much and my doctor said if I don't mind it isn't hurting me). My past two ovulation cycles have been ridiculously hormonal. I have never experienced anything like it before and am going to stop taking hormonal birth control and switch to IUD. I am not a crazy lady, it turned me into one.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Jessa spessa:

For Birth Control: No major side effects, except very low sex drive. I will be changing my pill as soon as possible because of this.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by caminelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: This is effective in preventing pregnancies, but I've had some other unpleasant side effects. I've been on this for 9 months. During the first three, I would always break out real bad around the time of my period. Then for a couple months, the acne stopped, but other symptoms began popping up: Spotting, sometimes early period, extreme mood swings, weight gain (20lbs). The last two months, when my libido began to suffer, I decided to switch. NO sex drive. None. It's killing me. Even if I want to have sex, which is rare anyway, my body says no. The end of this pack is it for me.

February 15, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by Erica2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I am 20 years old and here's my experience with this birth control. Pros: didn't get pregnant. SLIGHTLY fuller breasts in the same cup size. Didn't gain weight. Cons: I lost ALL sex drive and became a moody, depressive, crying, tired, sad prude. Which is sad because my husband thought I wasn't attracted to him and I am VERY attracted to his sexy handsome self! My acne also got worse. After two months I stopped the pills and switched to condoms. I am back to my sexual self and get along 100

February 12, 2014 5:22 PM

Review by Dila (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Endometriosis: I was experiencing long and heavy periods to a point of becoming anemic with a hemoglobin 6.1, this pill was recommended by my Nurse practitioner, it stopped my period on my first dose. So far the only side effects I have experienced are: mild nausea for about an hour after I take it (so I take it at nights) constipation (I incorporated intake of 5 prunes to my daily diet); sweet cravings (instead I drink black unsweetened coffee or tea and makes my sweet cravings go away). My mood is positive!

February 8, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by Chelssssssee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Good pill, does what it's supposed to- protects from pregnancy. Clears acne. Regulates periods. BUT mood swings were definitely noticed, and a small weight gain (10lbs or less). I had always weighed around 130 and have been 140 with the pill, and extremely moody- extremely happy or extremely sad- no medium. Every person will have different reactions obviously, just sharing my own experiences.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate