User Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1 / 20

Learn more about Microgestin Fe 1/20.

Endometriosis 8 reviews 160 medications

5.2
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 10 reviews 97 medications

Summary of Microgestin Fe 1/20 reviews 307 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Microgestin Fe 1/20

For Birth Control "I took this pill for birth control and to help my cramps. It made my cramps so much better, hardly any at all. When I got my period it was very light. Spotting and just slight cramps. I also did not get pregnant on this pill. Those were the pros. The cons were the lack of sex drive. My sex drive greatly diminished, which was very frustrating for me and my fianc"

Reviewer 22333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2016

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for about 4 months now, and I could not be more happy with this BC! This is my first time taking any type of BC pill, and I was honestly scared to start one due to many bad stories I've heard about "the pill". The first month I had a very heavy period, along with terrible cramps, a breakout of acne and no more sex drive. After that first month, my periods have been extremely light and short with no cramps, my skin is super clear, but my sex drive is still nowhere to be found. I do experience irritability, but no weight gain (or loss!) I am not sexually active so I've had no scares, or any experience of how well this pill works with preventing pregnancy. Overall I'm very happy with this pill!"

nevgirldre775 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "While it prevented pregnancy..but the side effects actually got worse over time. I started out on loestrin 24, which was great after I got used to it. Then I went on Gildess which was okay. Then my pharmacy switched me to the microgestin. It was cheaper so I stuck with it. I think I was on it for 1.5-2 years before I couldn't stand it. I just became so insanely emotional and PMS-y. It started 2 weeks before and my period. I also had the breast tenderness and sugar cravings like crazy. The awful moodiness went away once I switched birth control. I didn't have a lot of spotting- although I also didn't have a period for the first 3-4 months. Had semi bad cramps during the inactive week."

AliS86888 January 27, 2016

For Birth Control "This drug worked at preventing pregnancy. So it does get some stars for that. It's my 3rd month on it and every single month I had break through bleeding that begin about the second week. I thought it was spotting at first, but then it was heavier and lasted until my actual period started with the sugar pills. I would also get bloated and bad cramps beginning about the 2 week of the pill pack. No weight gain happened, and my sex drive stayed the same. But I was also very moody!!! Things that would normally make me just upset for a day would now bring me to tears and upset me for weeks. And my acne got worse, I would normally get pimples around the time of my period, but now I always have 3 or more pimples at a time that would scar."

Maddy445566 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello I am 15 my name is Samantha ... I have been on the Depo shot for a year now .... Before I got on I weighed 155 ... Now I'm up to 170 ..... I've decided to switch to this pill not sure how it works I can't start it until my first period is back and over ... Hoping this will help me out some with weight and acne .. Everyone's body is different but I've seen some good reports and some negative reports . Thank y'all"

Samantha Marsh January 25, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "My gynecologist put me on this for PCOS. I took it for two years. My periods are few, random and unpredictable. I didn't have regular bleeding at all. I had one or two periods a year on it. The periods were much less uncomfortable, and my PMS symptoms were a lower severity. Didn't help with my high insulin which is my big problem. Didn't help with my ridiculously bad adult acne big problem. It went back to before. For a short period, I think it decreased my acne by 10%. The only pro I can think of is that it dealt with my higher risk for developing endometrial cancer due to lining buildup from unopposed estrogen. If I miss a dose here or there, I have awful mood swings. I'm going to a new gynecologist because I need better management of my PCOS."

Heather423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been taking the Microgestin Fe for about a year, because it is available for free through my insurance as a generic brand although I began using Lo Loestrin Fe about a year prior, but it was too expensive to continue. I also have experienced very light to practically nonexistent periods. At first the periods were more normal but became lighter and sometimes only bleeding occurs 1 or 2 days. My normal menstrual cycle is usually 3 to 4 days when taking a different brand (previously I used to take Ortho Novum and Alesse which seemed to work fine for me). My menstrual cycle on Microgestin does seem to skip a month, or it is so light it is hardly noticeable. No nausea symptoms, because I always take birth control pills with food."

Micro Fe OK January 15, 2016

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "Hello, I have always believed my daughter might have PCOS because she had all the symptoms including weight gain despite diet/exercise, severe acne, facial hair and irregular periods. She was placed on BC as a freshman in high school and did a round of Accutane - which as difficult as it was, took care of her cystic acne. Now at 20, she has thinning hair, I need to know if we should keep her on microgestin or go with another BC pill. We will also be having her thyroid checked."

MilwMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I switched to this pill about five months ago because my insurance no longer covered Minastrin. Although my periods are very light with no cramps, I don't recommend this pill at all. I am very active and workout almost every day. I have gained a solid 8 pounds from this pill ( I believe it is mostly water retention and maybe some fat). I am extremely emotional on it and even have chest cramps. Not to mention my acne has gotten worse. This pill is awful!! So many other brands out there that will do much better without these side effects."

heathg65 January 13, 2016

For Birth Control "My only complaint with this pill is that I started getting yeast infections (which I've never had problems with prior to this medication) and my mood swings are worse than usual"

Ehhhhh January 5, 2016

For Menstrual Disorders "Microgestin is terrible! Although it stops periods, you cannot run out of packets at all with this medication. I missed a pill due to delays while I was in Texas, and right after, breakthrough bleeding started. It happens every month. You cannot miss a pill. The minute you do, breakthrough bleeding starts immediately after."

Nay P. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I love this pill. I used to be on the nuva ring but swiched because it caused a cyst on my ovary. And caused my vigina to be tender during sex and would slip out. I'm so happy I switched the microgestin. I've been on it for 1 year now. My skin is clear , my sex drive is the same. And it doesn't hurt to have sex . And I don't have a period anymore. But when I do its very light, to where I only need panty liners. And only 2 days long"

Shelslyn1 December 22, 2015

For Birth Control "This birth control is the worst kind I've ever taken in my life. I thought I had a bad experience with seasonique solely because of the weight gain but microgestin fe was 100x worst. The first month I was totally fine then after a while I started getting really emotional. I cried at the most absurd things and I'm not usually a crier. It made me so irritable and cranky with my family, my boyfriend, and even his family. Not to mention it caused me to get a yeast infection which I never had before and haven't had since I got off the pill. And the WORST part it made me go from someone with an extremely high libido to someone that cringed at sex. Getting of it was the best decision I've made"

Vanessaaaa December 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I started this in mid October after I went off my old pill (LoLoestrin Fe) due to the fact I couldn't afford it anymore and theres no generic. My reaction to this pill is odd....sometimes it gives me an insane intiatiable sex drive, and sometimes I have no drive at all. Sometimes I bleed/spot for 2.5 weeks, sometimes I bleed for 3 days. I have a little acne which is bothersome since I have PCOS and was hoping for this pill to get rid of the spots, but so far theres been no improvement. Sometimes get nausea and headaches, but not consistently. Had my first ever yeast infection after being on it for 2 weeks, none since.I'll give this a few more months before I look into switching, since I may still just adjusting to it."

itsrachelnoel (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been taking Microgestin Fe going on 2 years now and I think it is the best. At first taking it I noticed spotting in between my period for only 2 months but after that my period has gone away completely, which is common for anyone who had light periods prior to Microgestin. I haven't gained any weight except in my butt and I went from a B to a C. I haven't had any emotional or sex drive changes but there is are two major downsides to the medication. 1. I have never had more than 5 pimples on my entire life, and now I get pimples readily. Also, since the estrogen levels are high, I have experienced more yeast infections. I am sexually active and have never missed a pill, and not one scare. So overall, very effective!!"

Lean bean December 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Three days after I took my first pill of the first pack, I threw up. when I started my second pack I got EXTREMELY nauseous for the first 3 or 4 days and this continued until I got to my 5th pack, then I no longer had this side affect. it helps really well with periods and reduced it to 3-4 days instead of 6-7 so that's great. overall it's a good pill once I got past the nausea."

Amyyyyyyyyy December 9, 2015

For Birth Control "While I was on it for a week and a half, I started getting irregular bleeding that has still not stopped and I'm on my second month with these. Bleeding is very annoying. Do feel sick sometimes but when I eat something, it goes away 99% of the time. I haven't tried it for contraception yet, but I can only imagine how it will go. I don't mind being on this pill though. My doctor said if the bleeding gets worse and if it goes past the third cycle, I should contact her. And sometimes it doesn't taste good."

Alicia22222222222 December 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I am finishing up my 4th pack of this pill and I am seriously considering switching pills. The first two months weren't too bad, I had mild side effects but they were manageable. It wasn't until the third month that I started getting constant nausea like all day everyday and even worse at night, headaches, sore boobs, frequent urination and absolutely no sex drive. The only good thing is my period is like clockwork and I'm for sure not pregnant but the side effects make me feel like I am!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I have ever used. I have been taking it for two weeks now and I have literally gone crazy. I'm not myself at all. It has made me insanely emotional, I cry all the time not to mention I'm very very depressed and have thoughts of suicide. I am also very irritable and find myself snapping at people for no reason. I would never recommend this pill to anyone."

BreyAnn (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill since June of 2015 and I so far have not gotten pregnant, but I have pregnancy like symptoms all the time which lead me to think I am pregnant therefore buying tests. I have major migraines, I am depressed, already had anxiety but it has heightened, I am moody and nauseous all the time. My body aches. I am worried about what the affect this is having on my body. I have also taken the pill at the same time everyday and have skipped the week off (period week) but have not had a period since the 2nd month of being on it."

Patience. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I just read most of the reviews and half of them to me are ridiculous, anxiety, and depression?? your period gives you mood swings being a girl you get mood swings !!! I've been on this pill since I was 15 I am 22 now never had a problem unless I miss a few pills, I have never been pregnant, very light blood, no cramps, very little pimples to anyone with bad acne and bad cramps I highly recommend this pill. I used to throw up because of my bad cramps and now I rarely even get one"

rayray27 December 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I took this method of birth control for about 8 months. I always skipped the sugar pills so I didn't have my period. I only had spotting once while I was on this pill and it lasted for about a day or two and was very light. I had no pregnancy scares and am sexually active with my boyfriend. So, everything was good in that department. But I did notice I was starting to have anxiety and freak out about every little thing. My boyfriend noticed as well and the problem grew worse and worse. I felt depressed and I was always holding in my terrible mood. I recently got off of the pill for this reason and it's been 2 weeks and I feel a huge difference. Mood swings are gone. Does the job, but side effects depend on how your body reacts to pill."

Dannyelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2015

For Birth Control "Okay so I was on this pill for about 5 months, I have really horrible period cramps to where I couldn't get out of bed, I've tried 2 other pills before this one and those didn't work so I tried this one and the only positive thing about this pill is no pregnancy scares and light periods and my face stayed clear. But as far as negative effects I was severely depressed all the time, and suffering from Anxiety attacks daily and secondary to the anxiety I would be constantly nauseous & worst of all I had no sex drive, just the thought of sex Disgusted me. which really sucked because me and my bf are very sexually active. I decided that it was time to switch the new one that I'm on now which is wonderful."

rawrdino19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I began this birth control when I was 17 and my experience wasn't pleasant. I began taking Microgestion Fe 1/20 in June 2015. When I first began the pill, I had pretty bad nausea and was extremely emotional for the first month. On my second month, I became depressed and began to have anxiety attacks for just about everything. When my boyfriend and I would have relations he would tell me I was shedding more hair than normal. I paid more attention to it and my scalp began to hurt as if I had my hair in a ponytail and just took it out. Every time I'd shower or brush my hair chunks would come out, by the third month I had lost about 30% of my hair and had noticeable bald spots. Not a pleasant experience. Life got better when I stopped taking it"

amdlx0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been taking the pills for 4 months now. I was using the mirena for 7years prior. Pros: no pregnancy,very light menstrual cycle, and no spotting. Cons: 1 st month pregnancy symptoms, ongoing: increase appetite, bigger breast with sore to touch, and headache from time to time. If you can control your diet and exercise the weight gain won't occur or would be more manageable."

Anonymous November 21, 2015