User Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20

Learn more about Microgestin 1/20.

Endometriosis 4 reviews 160 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 1 reviews 162 medications

Menstrual Disorders 3 reviews 71 medications

Summary of Microgestin 1/20 reviews 35 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

For Birth Control "I wanted to write this review because I read many negative reviews and do not want people to think birth control is a horrible thing. Everyone's body is different so the reactions to the pill will be different- it is not a one size fits all type of deal. Additionally, it is best to stay on birth control for at least 3 months before switching over. Some people only stay on it for a month or two before switching because they are not happy with the side effects but do not realize they disappear over time. I've only been on the pill for over a month but overall I am very satisfied with the results. I did experience back pain, breakouts, breast tenderness, and headaches but it went away. My period is shorter and cramps are way less painful."

SaintNick8822 January 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Awful Birth Control - If your doctor has prescribed this to you, please ask them to reconsider because it truly shouldn't even be on the market. Spotting, nausea, headaches, weight gain, are all a few side effects."

MehnazS123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I wanted to write something as I'm in the process of researching new birth control (I have underlying high blood pressure and smoke, so the pill may not be the best long term birth control option for me) and I found that there's not a lot of good info out there comparing methods. Most reviews seem to be people complaining, because who's going to take the time to write something when they're happy? Well, I want to. I've been on microgestin for over a yr and it's been great. My acne is much improved on it, I've actually lost weight in this time, I haven't had any spotting. My libido is still high and I haven't had issues with arousal. I miss my period sometimes but I think that's from using this continuously so often to skip it. No pregnancy!"

Jackie0294 January 10, 2016

For Endometriosis "The first 2 months I took this pill I wanted OFF and a new OB. I had horrible side effects from nausea to paranoid anxiety. I've now been on it for 6 months and love it. I have no side effects, no periods (continuous use) and I have endometriosis and NO cramping! It's a literal miracle. I have had a 10lb weight gain, but I have also recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have stopped working out where as before I attended Zumba weekly to bi-weekly. I don't know what to attribute it to for sure but I would say maintaining your weigh would not be difficult even if it was the pill. If you're googling because you were just put on it and are freaking out, I suggest pushing through. This has worked miracles for me!"

Anonymous January 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking microgestin fe for 3 months now. The first two there were no really bad side effects except some acne and heavy flow with nasty cramps that I was assured would go away by month three....ABSOLUTELY NOT. Month three has been the worst.....I break out all the time when I never used to get pimples, I feel nauseous and pukey all day every day, no food sounds or tastes good, I have back pain and lower abdominal pain, I'm bloated and swollen, and I've gained almost 8 pounds!!! This is absolutely miserable"

Meg2495 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Birth Control "This medicine is awful. I originally started taking it for stomach cramps and regulating my period and I wish I never started taking it in the first place. I was on the second week of my third pack and felt AWFUL. Not only was I nauseous 24/7 I got headaches, cramps in my upper and lower back, side pains, chest pains. As well as a intolerance to gluten. At first I thought my stomach problem was from eating fast food but as I think about it I was nauseous the first month of taking this pill and it steadily got worse. I'm on my 2nd week off the pill and I'm going through serious side effects of my body trying to regulate itself. I've lost 6 pounds & my appetite. DO NOT take this pill."

Cydneyrockfor November 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I recently started this pill almost a month ago to prevent pregnancy. I am almost finished with the first pack and anxious to see what my period will be like. As for side effects, I have been very emotional and irritable at times. I used to be on a different medicine for acne but once I started this pill i stopped taking the other medicine and now I have whiteheads everywhere, which is opposite from what i usually get. I also have been very constipated and have had alot of gas although I havent gained any weight. Overall I dont know if I would recommend this pill due to all of the side effects that I have already experienced."

Rebecca95 November 10, 2015

For Birth Control "Took it for a year and although I loved it in the begining (lost weight, no acne), after about 6 months I realized I was feeling sad, tired, with no energy or no sex drive at all. Also experienced hair loss and nausea. Going off now and will try something else."

JuAP (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had a very positive experience with microgestin. I started using it about 6 months ago, and it was my first time on birth control. It helped to clear up my acne and made my periods much lighter and shorter (from 7 days to only 2 or 3). I did not experience any weight gain or nausea. The only negative side effects I had were that I was a bit more emotional than usually in the first two weeks of use, and that for a few months, I would have a bit of light spotting leading up to my period. Overall, it has been a really great birth control and had very few side effects."

Norma10001 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2015

For Birth Control "(First month went particularly well, I didn't recognize any symptoms. I felt 100% myself. I was so afraid it was going to trigger my anxiety (I have GAD) but it hasn't! I love microgestin so far. My first "off week" when I got my period was very different. I usually have a heavy to normal flow that last 5 days, but I had a very light flow that lasted the whole week. It stopped once I started the pill on Sunday. I am now three days into my second month, and I haven't noticed anything new. I feel great!"

Lily B May 6, 2015

For Birth Control "My biggest fear with bc pills was the weight gain - I can assure you now that this does not happen & is somewhat of a myth. I'm married, been on this pill for about two plus years & haven't had any scares or issues. I get a little nausea when starting a new pack so I always take at night (my only real hang up). Never emotional, super light and predictable periods. Very happy."

S.M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2015

For Endometriosis "I have been on this for almost two years and I am so glad that I am on it! I gained zero weight (I actually lost weight), I am not moody, my skin is smooth and clear, the periods are SO much better! I only get a little bit of a flow and the cramps are minimal. I actually barely get a period anymore, but my GYN said it was normal."

AnastasiaAlexis (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I was 23 when I started this birth control. It was my first time using it and I was terribly afraid of getting pregnant while on this. Surprisingly after almost a year of using it and turning 24, I haven't gotten pregnant, my skin looks the best it's ever looked and my periods are finally regular. there is some heavy spotting that comes unpredictably and heavy cramping at times but it works and if you have insurance it should be free. i take it at the same time every day. i used a condom the first month so my body could get used to it."

kim1990 November 28, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on this birth control for over a year, and I have not had any complaints so far! This was my first birth control that I had ever taken and it is a life saver! I had the worst periods with aweful cramps and a heavy flow, but now I barely get periods and the pain that comes when I do have a period is very tolerable and minimal. I did not gain any weight since I started the birth control, and in fact, it helped me lose weight. I do not get any acne while on this pill, nor do I get any severe mood swings."

AnnaAlexis November 7, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I take birth control for my severe PMS symptoms, and this is easily the best I've tried. After a few days of very mild nausea in the beginning, Microgestin 1/20 has given me no noticeable side effects besides going up a full cup size. If anything, I've lost weight (including the three pounds I gained on my previous birth control), have had no breakouts or spotting, and cramps so mild that for the first time in a long time, I didn't need to take any pain medication. Plus, the low dose means no significant increase in breast cancer risk. I'd recommend this BC to anyone."

randombee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been taking Microgestin for almost a year now. It has been great at preventing pregnancy. The first three months I got mood swings bad, but now it works great! Absolutely love the pill!"

Mindybaeebayy July 12, 2014

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for almost 10 years...it was very effective at preventing pregnancy, even though I missed it a few times and there weren't any crazy noticeable side effects like weight gain, nausea, headaches, etc. I think because I was on it for so long, I didn't realize the side effects until I went off of it...once I stopped, I felt like a completely different and better person...my sex drive went through the roof and I realized how much it had suppressed my sex drive this whole time. I also found a huge sense of peace and was able to let go of things much easier I felt like a cloud of depression was lifted. When I tried to go back on it, it made me really irritable and I had to stop. "

Nicolette B (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2014

For Birth Control "I was on a different birth control beforehand and I had every side effect possible, so my doctor switched me to Microgestin and I'm so glad she did! I haven't had a single side effect since being on the pill! I used to get terrible cramps and even after taking the pill for a month the cramps were completely gone. The only thing that happened was that my breasts got bigger, which I'm not complaining about!"

Anonymous22 January 26, 2014

For Birth Control "I switched to Microgestin after I could no longer afford Lo Loestrin Fe. I didn't get my period or have any bad side effects while on Lo Loestrin Fe so I was worried that I would when I switched. Thankfully no side effects or period."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2014

For Birth Control "This pill was terrible. Had bad migraines the first 5-6 months of taking it. Plus I would get angry over nothing and have crying spells. After about 8 months of being on this pill, my period would come a week early and last for 2 1/2 weeks. It was light bleeding, but still the point of my period going on that long was not normal. My period normally lasts 5-7 days. I stuck the pills out for another month and when I got that 2 1/2 week period again, I called my obgyn. I explained to her what was going on and she had a nurse pull my chart to change my bc. The only good thing about these pills were that I had no weight gain."

Linzee 83 November 3, 2013

For Birth Control "I was put on Microgestin 1/20 to not only prevent pregnancy, but to prevent the severe cramps I had. It worked well by helping with the cramps and I had almost zero side effects but one- spotting. I spotted almost every day. I continued taking the prescription in hopes the spotting would pass, but it didn't. My OB-GYN then put me on Microgestin 1.5/30 for a few months, to see if that would help. Unfortunately, it didn't, so I stopped taking birth control all together. Hopefully I can find one that works for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2013

For Endometriosis "I have been very happy on this birth control pill for about three years. I am only switching because I want fewer periods. Before I took this birth control my periods were horrible. I had every symptom in the book. This birth control did cause slight weight gain, however I also went on it when I turned 18...so it could have been metabolism slow down as well. My breasts also grew, no complaints here about that though. I don't get cramps, moodiness, headaches, nausea, or severe stomach upsets with this birth control. Also my period is like clockwork every month....until recently when I endured a lot of stress. I do still get slight stomach upset and bloating along with slight fatigue. All in all it is an amazing birth control!"

theonetruetoughcookie September 28, 2013

For Birth Control "I am finishing up my first month on it. The first two weeks were rough. I started my period on the first month and it was very heavy. My doctor had prescribed me with it to control my migraines and periods. So far no migraines and less acne. My breast have grown a whole cup size though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2013

For Birth Control "I've been on Microgestin for about a year now. My OBGYN said it would be best if I took it continously, so that's exactly how I've been taking it. I take it consecutively for 3 months and then I take a break for week. Ladies, I haven't had a period in over year and although it sounds scary believe me it is totally fine. Zero nasty side effects like headaches, cramping, long periods, moodiness, etc. The only thing is lowered libido but hey, after all there is no perfect pill that won't have any side effects! Good luck with this medication."

anonymous May 6, 2013

For Birth Control "I was given this as instead ofLoestrin, which I normally take. I've been on it 2 months and it's like I have a non-stop period. They're also really heavy which they have never been in my life and my breasts get very enlarged and are so tender. I'm not happy with it at all and will be using something different beginning next month."

Anonymous November 5, 2012