User Reviews for Microgestin 1 / 20

Learn more about Microgestin 1/20.

Endometriosis 3 reviews 161 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 137 medications Not rated - Be the first
Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Microgestin 1/20 reviews 27 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

For Birth Control "I have had a very positive experience with microgestin. I started using it about 6 months ago, and it was my first time on birth control. It helped to clear up my acne and made my periods much lighter and shorter (from 7 days to only 2 or 3). I did not experience any weight gain or nausea. The only negative side effects I had were that I was a bit more emotional than usually in the first two weeks of use, and that for a few months, I would have a bit of light spotting leading up to my period. Overall, it has been a really great birth control and had very few side effects."

Norma10001 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2015

For Birth Control "(First month went particularly well, I didn't recognize any symptoms. I felt 100% myself. I was so afraid it was going to trigger my anxiety (I have GAD) but it hasn't! I love microgestin so far. My first "off week" when I got my period was very different. I usually have a heavy to normal flow that last 5 days, but I had a very light flow that lasted the whole week. It stopped once I started the pill on Sunday. I am now three days into my second month, and I haven't noticed anything new. I feel great!"

Lily B May 6, 2015

For Birth Control "My biggest fear with bc pills was the weight gain - I can assure you now that this does not happen & is somewhat of a myth. I'm married, been on this pill for about two plus years & haven't had any scares or issues. I get a little nausea when starting a new pack so I always take at night (my only real hang up). Never emotional, super light and predictable periods. Very happy."

S.M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2015

For Endometriosis "I have been on this for almost two years and I am so glad that I am on it! I gained zero weight (I actually lost weight), I am not moody, my skin is smooth and clear, the periods are SO much better! I only get a little bit of a flow and the cramps are minimal. I actually barely get a period anymore, but my GYN said it was normal."

AnastasiaAlexis (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I was 23 when I started this birth control. It was my first time using it and I was terribly afraid of getting pregnant while on this. Surprisingly after almost a year of using it and turning 24, I haven't gotten pregnant, my skin looks the best it's ever looked and my periods are finally regular. there is some heavy spotting that comes unpredictably and heavy cramping at times but it works and if you have insurance it should be free. i take it at the same time every day. i used a condom the first month so my body could get used to it."

kim1990 November 28, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on this birth control for over a year, and I have not had any complaints so far! This was my first birth control that I had ever taken and it is a life saver! I had the worst periods with aweful cramps and a heavy flow, but now I barely get periods and the pain that comes when I do have a period is very tolerable and minimal. I did not gain any weight since I started the birth control, and in fact, it helped me lose weight. I do not get any acne while on this pill, nor do I get any severe mood swings."

AnnaAlexis November 7, 2014

For Menstrual Disorders "I take birth control for my severe PMS symptoms, and this is easily the best I've tried. After a few days of very mild nausea in the beginning, Microgestin 1/20 has given me no noticeable side effects besides going up a full cup size. If anything, I've lost weight (including the three pounds I gained on my previous birth control), have had no breakouts or spotting, and cramps so mild that for the first time in a long time, I didn't need to take any pain medication. Plus, the low dose means no significant increase in breast cancer risk. I'd recommend this BC to anyone."

randombee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been taking Microgestin for almost a year now. It has been great at preventing pregnancy. The first three months I got mood swings bad, but now it works great! Absolutely love the pill!"

Mindybaeebayy July 12, 2014

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for almost 10 years...it was very effective at preventing pregnancy, even though I missed it a few times and there weren't any crazy noticeable side effects like weight gain, nausea, headaches, etc. I think because I was on it for so long, I didn't realize the side effects until I went off of it...once I stopped, I felt like a completely different and better person...my sex drive went through the roof and I realized how much it had suppressed my sex drive this whole time. I also found a huge sense of peace and was able to let go of things much easier I felt like a cloud of depression was lifted. When I tried to go back on it, it made me really irritable and I had to stop. "

Nicolette B (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2014

For Birth Control "I was on a different birth control beforehand and I had every side effect possible, so my doctor switched me to Microgestin and I'm so glad she did! I haven't had a single side effect since being on the pill! I used to get terrible cramps and even after taking the pill for a month the cramps were completely gone. The only thing that happened was that my breasts got bigger, which I'm not complaining about!"

Anonymous22 January 26, 2014

For Birth Control "I switched to Microgestin after I could no longer afford Lo Loestrin Fe. I didn't get my period or have any bad side effects while on Lo Loestrin Fe so I was worried that I would when I switched. Thankfully no side effects or period."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2014

For Birth Control "This pill was terrible. Had bad migraines the first 5-6 months of taking it. Plus I would get angry over nothing and have crying spells. After about 8 months of being on this pill, my period would come a week early and last for 2 1/2 weeks. It was light bleeding, but still the point of my period going on that long was not normal. My period normally lasts 5-7 days. I stuck the pills out for another month and when I got that 2 1/2 week period again, I called my obgyn. I explained to her what was going on and she had a nurse pull my chart to change my bc. The only good thing about these pills were that I had no weight gain."

Linzee 83 November 3, 2013

For Birth Control "I was put on Microgestin 1/20 to not only prevent pregnancy, but to prevent the severe cramps I had. It worked well by helping with the cramps and I had almost zero side effects but one- spotting. I spotted almost every day. I continued taking the prescription in hopes the spotting would pass, but it didn't. My OB-GYN then put me on Microgestin 1.5/30 for a few months, to see if that would help. Unfortunately, it didn't, so I stopped taking birth control all together. Hopefully I can find one that works for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2013

For Endometriosis "I have been very happy on this birth control pill for about three years. I am only switching because I want fewer periods. Before I took this birth control my periods were horrible. I had every symptom in the book. This birth control did cause slight weight gain, however I also went on it when I turned 18...so it could have been metabolism slow down as well. My breasts also grew, no complaints here about that though. I don't get cramps, moodiness, headaches, nausea, or severe stomach upsets with this birth control. Also my period is like clockwork every month....until recently when I endured a lot of stress. I do still get slight stomach upset and bloating along with slight fatigue. All in all it is an amazing birth control!"

theonetruetoughcookie September 28, 2013

For Birth Control "I am finishing up my first month on it. The first two weeks were rough. I started my period on the first month and it was very heavy. My doctor had prescribed me with it to control my migraines and periods. So far no migraines and less acne. My breast have grown a whole cup size though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2013

For Birth Control "I've been on Microgestin for about a year now. My OBGYN said it would be best if I took it continously, so that's exactly how I've been taking it. I take it consecutively for 3 months and then I take a break for week. Ladies, I haven't had a period in over year and although it sounds scary believe me it is totally fine. Zero nasty side effects like headaches, cramping, long periods, moodiness, etc. The only thing is lowered libido but hey, after all there is no perfect pill that won't have any side effects! Good luck with this medication."

anonymous May 6, 2013

For Birth Control "I was given this as instead ofLoestrin, which I normally take. I've been on it 2 months and it's like I have a non-stop period. They're also really heavy which they have never been in my life and my breasts get very enlarged and are so tender. I'm not happy with it at all and will be using something different beginning next month."

Anonymous November 5, 2012

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for 4 months now. It was my first ever so I was really nervous! While taking it everything was normal no side effects which was a plus! Before the pill my period was for 5-6 days and on the pill it was only 2-3 days which was great! In my 3rd and 4th month I was spotting A LOT! On top of that I was getting my period which was a pain! No weight gain and acne, my sex drive increased."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2012

For Birth Control "I like Microgestin. My doctor originally put me on Lo Loestrin Fe which caused me breakthrough bleeding everyday. Since Microgestin has double the estrogen if Lo Loestrin Fe, but still considered very low dose. Had minor spotting only in the beginning. No other negative side effects."

serafinaB April 13, 2012

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "I had a very bad experience on Lo Ovral (angry all the time, dead sex drive, hungry constantly) in the past, and was not sure how I felt about going back on the pill for my PCOS. But turns out Microgestin has been okay on my system. I'm about a year in, and within the first 3 months my breasts definitely grew half a cup size. My sex drive decreased and my nipples are tender. I did feel paranoid for about 3 months, then it normalized and my mood has been fine since. I am convinced it has made me gain weight around the hips, ugh- however I have not actually gained real weight. After being on it about a year, my sex drive is coming back finally and mentally I feel normal. My periods are nice and light, they linger about 5 days total."

Katie-2 March 25, 2012

For Birth Control "I started taking Microgestin 1/20 a year ago after my insurance quit covering Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, which I had no issues with. I've tried other birth control pills in the past with side effects like acne or headaches and didn't want any of that, I told my ob/gyn, just something comparable to Ortho TriCyclen Lo. I rapidly started gaining weight shortly after starting the pills - up five pants sizes since then with no other changes in lifestyle - I have tried exercising even more, and ate relatively healthy before but tried harder on that and portions also, but have not lost an ounce. My husband has exercised with me and eaten the same meals, larger portions, and has lost weight. So I am thinking it is the Microgestin."

Anonymous October 17, 2011

For Menstrual Disorders "By BMI I am overweight but not obese, and was tried on the patch and several different birth control pills without success. Bled more often than once per month and/or longer than 5 days/month. I was given samples of Loestrin FE 24 which worked flawlessly for 3 months, so prescription was written for Microgestin 1/20 (generic form). After 1 week of Microgestin, I was 3 *hours* late with 1 pill (1st time I have missed ever). By the time I took the late pill, breakthrough bleeding had already begun. A week later still bleeding and it has become stronger - still not as strong as a regular period had been. Going back to Loestrin FE 24, hope it works again."

wellheck September 12, 2011

For Endometriosis "I have taken this medication for 6 years. I have no side effects. I take it continuously and do not get a period. It has improved my life so much. I have so much less pain. I had tried so many different birth control pills and this is the one that works for me."

Katyi May 12, 2011

For Birth Control "The first two months were not fun but than it got better. I have been on it for almost 3 years and I'm very happy with it. My periods are regular and I have had no mood swings, cramps, or migraines. I love it. Only thing is it is expensive and my insurance only covers 10 percent but it's worth it because it works so well."

77maz April 26, 2009

For Birth Control "I absolutely adore microgestin, now that I've been on it for three and a half months. The first two months were brutal. In the second week I had horrible uterine cramping and terrible cramping during my period also. The first month also, until I got used to it, it did give me mood swings, but did not make me depressed. Once I was on it for a few months, however, all of this went away. Right now I have mild breast tenderness but honestly it isn't bad at all and I'd recommend it to anyone."

Anonymous October 30, 2008