User Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

Learn more about Microgestin 1/20.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 1 reviews 112 medications

Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Microgestin 1/20 reviews 21 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Microgestin 1/20

Review by randombee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Menstrual Disorders: I take birth control for my severe PMS symptoms, and this is easily the best I've tried. After a few days of very mild nausea in the beginning, Microgestin 1/20 has given me no noticeable side effects besides going up a full cup size. If anything, I've lost weight (including the three pounds I gained on my previous birth control), have had no breakouts or spotting, and cramps so mild that for the first time in a long time, I didn't need to take any pain medication. Plus, the low dose means no significant increase in breast cancer risk. I'd recommend this BC to anyone.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Mindybaeebayy:

For Birth Control: I've been taking Microgestin for almost a year now. It has been great at preventing pregnancy. The first three months I got mood swings bad, but now it works great! Absolutely love the pill!

July 12, 2014 12:46 PM

Review by Nicolette B (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I was on this birth control for almost 10 years...it was very effective at preventing pregnancy, even though I missed it a few times and there weren't any crazy noticeable side effects like weight gain, nausea, headaches, etc. I think because I was on it for so long, I didn't realize the side effects until I went off of it...once I stopped, I felt like a completely different and better person...my sex drive went through the roof and I realized how much it had suppressed my sex drive this whole time. I also found a huge sense of peace and was able to let go of things much easier I felt like a cloud of depression was lifted. When I tried to go back on it, it made me really irritable and I had to stop.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Anonymous22:

For Birth Control: I was on a different birth control beforehand and I had every side effect possible, so my doctor switched me to Microgestin and I'm so glad she did! I haven't had a single side effect since being on the pill! I used to get terrible cramps and even after taking the pill for a month the cramps were completely gone. The only thing that happened was that my breasts got bigger, which I'm not complaining about!

January 26, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I switched to Microgestin after I could no longer afford Lo Loestrin Fe. I didn't get my period or have any bad side effects while on Lo Loestrin Fe so I was worried that I would when I switched. Thankfully no side effects or period.

January 24, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by Linzee 83:

For Birth Control: This pill was terrible. Had bad migraines the first 5-6 months of taking it. Plus I would get angry over nothing and have crying spells. After about 8 months of being on this pill, my period would come a week early and last for 2 1/2 weeks. It was light bleeding, but still the point of my period going on that long was not normal. My period normally lasts 5-7 days. I stuck the pills out for another month and when I got that 2 1/2 week period again, I called my obgyn. I explained to her what was going on and she had a nurse pull my chart to change my bc. The only good thing about these pills were that I had no weight gain.

November 3, 2013 8:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was put on Microgestin 1/20 to not only prevent pregnancy, but to prevent the severe cramps I had. It worked well by helping with the cramps and I had almost zero side effects but one- spotting. I spotted almost every day. I continued taking the prescription in hopes the spotting would pass, but it didn't. My OB-GYN then put me on Microgestin 1.5/30 for a few months, to see if that would help. Unfortunately, it didn't, so I stopped taking birth control all together. Hopefully I can find one that works for me!

October 21, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by theonetruetoughcookie:

For Endometriosis: I have been very happy on this birth control pill for about three years. I am only switching because I want fewer periods. Before I took this birth control my periods were horrible. I had every symptom in the book. This birth control did cause slight weight gain, however I also went on it when I turned 18...so it could have been metabolism slow down as well. My breasts also grew, no complaints here about that though. I don't get cramps, moodiness, headaches, nausea, or severe stomach upsets with this birth control. Also my period is like clockwork every month....until recently when I endured a lot of stress. I do still get slight stomach upset and bloating along with slight fatigue. All in all it is an amazing birth control!

September 28, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I am finishing up my first month on it. The first two weeks were rough. I started my period on the first month and it was very heavy. My doctor had prescribed me with it to control my migraines and periods. So far no migraines and less acne. My breast have grown a whole cup size though.

August 17, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by anonymous:

For Birth Control: I've been on Microgestin for about a year now. My OBGYN said it would be best if I took it continously, so that's exactly how I've been taking it. I take it consecutively for 3 months and then I take a break for week. Ladies, I haven't had a period in over year and although it sounds scary believe me it is totally fine. Zero nasty side effects like headaches, cramping, long periods, moodiness, etc. The only thing is lowered libido but hey, after all there is no perfect pill that won't have any side effects! Good luck with this medication.

May 6, 2013 12:42 AM

For Birth Control: I was given this as instead ofLoestrin, which I normally take. I've been on it 2 months and it's like I have a non-stop period. They're also really heavy which they have never been in my life and my breasts get very enlarged and are so tender. I'm not happy with it at all and will be using something different beginning next month.

November 5, 2012 10:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on this pill for 4 months now. It was my first ever so I was really nervous! While taking it everything was normal no side effects which was a plus! Before the pill my period was for 5-6 days and on the pill it was only 2-3 days which was great! In my 3rd and 4th month I was spotting A LOT! On top of that I was getting my period which was a pain! No weight gain and acne, my sex drive increased.

May 25, 2012 11:29 AM

Review by serafinaB:

For Birth Control: I like Microgestin. My doctor originally put me on Lo Loestrin Fe which caused me breakthrough bleeding everyday. Since Microgestin has double the estrogen if Lo Loestrin Fe, but still considered very low dose. Had minor spotting only in the beginning. No other negative side effects.

April 13, 2012 4:26 AM

Review by Katie-2:

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I had a very bad experience on Lo Ovral (angry all the time, dead sex drive, hungry constantly) in the past, and was not sure how I felt about going back on the pill for my PCOS. But turns out Microgestin has been okay on my system. I'm about a year in, and within the first 3 months my breasts definitely grew half a cup size. My sex drive decreased and my nipples are tender. I did feel paranoid for about 3 months, then it normalized and my mood has been fine since. I am convinced it has made me gain weight around the hips, ugh- however I have not actually gained real weight. After being on it about a year, my sex drive is coming back finally and mentally I feel normal. My periods are nice and light, they linger about 5 days total.

March 25, 2012 8:44 PM

For Birth Control: I started taking Microgestin 1/20 a year ago after my insurance quit covering Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, which I had no issues with. I've tried other birth control pills in the past with side effects like acne or headaches and didn't want any of that, I told my ob/gyn, just something comparable to Ortho TriCyclen Lo. I rapidly started gaining weight shortly after starting the pills - up five pants sizes since then with no other changes in lifestyle - I have tried exercising even more, and ate relatively healthy before but tried harder on that and portions also, but have not lost an ounce. My husband has exercised with me and eaten the same meals, larger portions, and has lost weight. So I am thinking it is the Microgestin.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 10:47 AM

Review by wellheck:

For Menstrual Disorders: By BMI I am overweight but not obese, and was tried on the patch and several different birth control pills without success. Bled more often than once per month and/or longer than 5 days/month. I was given samples of Loestrin FE 24 which worked flawlessly for 3 months, so prescription was written for Microgestin 1/20 (generic form). After 1 week of Microgestin, I was 3 *hours* late with 1 pill (1st time I have missed ever). By the time I took the late pill, breakthrough bleeding had already begun. A week later still bleeding and it has become stronger - still not as strong as a regular period had been. Going back to Loestrin FE 24, hope it works again.

September 12, 2011 1:54 PM

Review by Katyi:

For Endometriosis: I have taken this medication for 6 years. I have no side effects. I take it continuously and do not get a period. It has improved my life so much. I have so much less pain. I had tried so many different birth control pills and this is the one that works for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2011 10:48 PM

Review by 77maz:

For Birth Control: The first two months were not fun but than it got better. I have been on it for almost 3 years and I'm very happy with it. My periods are regular and I have had no mood swings, cramps, or migraines. I love it. Only thing is it is expensive and my insurance only covers 10 percent but it's worth it because it works so well.

April 26, 2009 7:53 PM

For Birth Control: I absolutely adore microgestin, now that I've been on it for three and a half months. The first two months were brutal. In the second week I had horrible uterine cramping and terrible cramping during my period also. The first month also, until I got used to it, it did give me mood swings, but did not make me depressed. Once I was on it for a few months, however, all of this went away. Right now I have mild breast tenderness but honestly it isn't bad at all and I'd recommend it to anyone.

October 30, 2008 2:33 AM

Review by worried mom??:

For Birth Control: The only side effect that happened to me was spotting in the first 2 weeks. After that everything was okay, better that IUD.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2008 12:21 PM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Stopped my periods all together. It is nice, but my doctor didn't mention it when she prescribed it. Was a little stressful the first month when you skip your period and no one has an explanation. Turns out it is a side effect.

May 5, 2008 2:52 PM