User Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

Learn more about Lo Loestrin Fe.

Lo Loestrin Fe Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe to treat Birth Control

"I've been on Lo Lo Estrin FE for about 2-3 years. I was having severe mood swings whenever I was on the white or brown pills, anger follow by depression. When I told my Doctor, she said I could take the blue pills continuously and now I have no periods, no cramps, and no mood swings. Last week I missed a pill and took it 12 hours late (in the morning), a few days later I was severely depressed and had breast tenderness that lasted 2-3 days. Usually it's perfect, but a few hours with out it can cause days of depression, so I recommend others use it with caution and I would not recommend for anyone that cannot take the pill at exactly the same time daily. Also you can run into insurance coverage issues by skipping 4 pills a pack."

Libby1986 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2015

"I have been on Lo for over 7 years now and love it!! I went thru 3 other BCs with horrid side effects and then found this! I have never experienced any negative side effects and have not had an unwanted pregnancy so I suggest it!"

Megs32 August 30, 2015

"I am 15 years old and I was put on this birth control because I have extremely heavy periods. I'm going on my 3rd month of this birth control and I've had very little negative side effects. I lost weight and am continuing to lose weight (I've lost about 13-14 pounds right now) on this. I've had a decreased appetite and I've noticed I'm full sooner. I didn't have any mood swings or nausea. My acne cleared up majorly and my face is completely clear now! I had moderate cystic acne and now it's completely gone! The only negative side effect for me is I've had breakthrough bleeding for about 37 days so my gyno wants to switch me. I can't say anything about the effectiveness as a birth control as I'm not sexually active. I recommend!"

Rachelv5 August 30, 2015

"I'm not really sure how I feel about this pill yet. I started it two Thursdays ago (the first day of my period) and my period immediately went away. Last Thursday I got my period again this time full on with cramps and everything. So far today is day 3 so I'll wait 2 more days before calling the gynie. I haven't had any mood swings or depression but I'm on this to NOT have a period and so far it's not doing what I really wanted it to do"

Vanityy (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

"I went on this BC because I loved the loestrin 24 FE (which is apparently no longer available) and I thought this would be similar. It IS NOT at all similar. I feel completely different on this pill, and I've given it 6 months. My side effects include constant cramps and abdominal pain, complete loss of sex drive, diaherra, and depression. I began to push my boyfriend away and am still very very attracted to him, yet I have no sex drive. This pill has completely changed me and it took me 6 months to realize it. My periods were light but if I missed one day of taking the pill I would start spotting. Beware and watch for how your body reacts to this pill."

TarKov (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I was on this for almost 4 years. It worked great, my periods were really heavy and I had a lot of cramping but when I started taking this I had little to no period and no cramping. But this past year I've realized it has made me very moody. It and some other factors broke up my engagement because I was so moody and just a nightmare to be around sometimes. It made me bipolar. I stopped taking it a month ago and my boyfriend says he can notice a difference in my mood. Now I'm back to heavy periods and lots of cramping. It feels like I have to choose between my relationship and my BC. My insurance paid for some of this, but I still had to pay $50 a month. But I would call my Dr and they would give me a discount card and samples."

Rach1094 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2015

"I really like this birth control I was on depo which was awful so I changed to lo loestrin fe it's been 6 months now, I have had a huge appetite increase I want to eat everything I was 110 and now I am 121 I've become a big cry baby - but as long as I don't have a child I am good I know every birth control has some side affects so I don't mind I'll stick with this one "

Glory12 August 27, 2015

"I switched to Lo Loestrin about a year ago. I didn't start to realize until after I was off of birth control for 2 months and started again what this BC did to me. I gained weight in only specific area like lower stomach and chest, blew up immediately after my first pack. Mind you my diet or exercise did not change but my body did. I also was bloated for 2-3 weeks at a time before and after my inactive pills. Over all Lo Loestrin did it's job for me but I am on a search for a BC thats more healthy for my body."

Gracey Lou (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2015

"I was on Lo Loestrin Fe for 1 1/2 years. Overall good experience. Not pregnant and never have been while on this medication. I took it every morning around the same time, weekends within 4 hours of my usual time. I did not consistently have a period each month which is normal for this medication. Sometimes I had the usual cramps and mood swings around the time I was suppose to have my period but no bleeding. Had breast tenderness. I did not gain weight. No issues with acne but I have a very strong regime for that due to the type of skin I have. I would recommend to women starting birth control for the first time. I needed a higher dosage of estrogen due to breakthrough bleeding twice so now I am on Junel 1.5/30, no complaints so far."

NN007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 26, 2015

"I am 19 years old and on my third pack (possibly fourth, I can't remember for sure) of this birth control. The first two months were great! I didn't notice any side effects and my period was normal. This past month, though, I've started to notice a lot of nausea and some headaches. Most recently, my depression and anxiety have increased tenfold and gone through the roof. I can't stop crying over everything and I'm a mess all the time. It's time to stop this BC because it's just making my life a living Hell."

V1CT0R1A August 26, 2015

"Started the pills and was excited because I needed help with regularity and cramps. I ended up getting hormonal cysts that were so painful. One was almost as big as a dime on my chin and we had to push it out, yuck. My lips on my face also swelled up. Funny, but not really. I was switched onto another pill mainly because of the lips swelling."

Teenager in Texas August 25, 2015

"I LOVE this BS!!! This is the first BC I've ever taken in my life, I'm almost 26. I have been on it for about a year now and I've NEVER had any symptom or negative side effect. I've lost weight instead of gain, no acne, no pain in legs or any other part of my body, no cramps, and no spotting either. I haven't had my period since I've been taking this pill. I'm not pregnant either haha. It's the best thing that's happened to me! I highly suggest taking this form of BC, it's been nothing but amazing for me."

sgav89 August 24, 2015

"As soon as I started this birth control I became very nauseous and bloated. I also became extremely hormonal and began flirting with every guy I saw. I got a lot of side effects as well: stinging eyes, extra sensitive skin, mood swings, soreness, etc. As far as periods go..this still gave me a period and I ended up having brown spotting (gross), back pain, and cramps. It also lasted longer than my regular one usually would. This BC pill will not help with your acne as it tends to give you MORE hormones than less. I know you've probably heard that your dermatologist say you should give a pill 3 months but in my experience it should start working immediately. just my advice:)"

Lexi909873 August 23, 2015

"I hate this BC!. I used ortho tri cyclen lo for most of my 20's without issue. Now in my 30's and lo loestrin is what most doctors seem to be pushing on patients. I have all of the symptoms: horrible deep acne, headache, nausea, mood swings and the constant spotting!! Its been 3 months now and my body does not seem to be adjusting. Plus I found it costs $97 without insurance! Why?!"

chemistry girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

"I'm 17 years old and I've been on Lolo for over a year now. The first few months were great, very little cramping and light bleeding, periods only lasted about 3 days. But in the past few months k have noticed my periods have been scarce and extremely light. I haven't had a normal period since January. Part of this is due to the fact that I had brain surgery at the end of January but by now I should be having normal periods. My period is about a month late now, I am not pregnant either."

kelseys44 August 22, 2015

"I love it! I had irregular periods that lasted up to 26 days and my gynecologist put me on this pill. And I noticed a difference right away. My periods we're back to normal. I had no side effects whatsoever when taking this pill. The main reason I love this pill because no more periods, I barely have spotting I love it! Lol"

Chelsssbaby97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

"I've been on this pill for over a month now. I'm on my second week of my second package. During the first month of taking this pill I kept spotting for about 2 weeks until my actual period came. And the blood would sometimes be dark brown too so I was definitely worried and called my doctor but she said its my body getting used to the pills since it's the first bc I've ever taken. (I'm 21 btw). Also in the beginning of taking the pill I had very bad acne breakout but towards the end of the month my acne began to clear up. Right now I have almost no acne and just tiny blemishes. Pretty amazing to me since I've always had acne problems. As for the spotting, I no longer am getting it, so that's good. So I'm gonna stick around for this pill."

SwiftRock (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

"Was on this birth control pill for 3 months and had a terrible experience. I've never been a depressed or sad person, but around the 2nd month I began to feel depressed. I never was happy about things that I normally would be happy about. I just felt sad about nothing and that is not the kind of person I am. I would breakdown and cry sobbing to my boyfriend about how I wasn't happy, but I couldn't tell him why. My boyfriend who I have been infatuated with for over a year, quickly became annoying to me and I felt like I wasn't attracted to him anymore. I was falling down the road of depression so I immediately stopped taking it. I've been off of it for a week and already feel better! Stay away from this pill!"

EmmaMae508654 August 20, 2015

"This is the best oral contraceptive I've been on thus far. In the past 7 years I have been on: tri-cyclen lo, Alesse for 4 years and Diane. This is the first contraceptive where I have felt like myself. No side effects, no breakthrough bleeding as long as I take it the same time everyday and only two day periods. This is such a miracle to the oc industry. I recommend it to every female I know. You can't go wrong with the lowest side effects on the market. Although Alesse is a house hold name- it has some of the highest side effects on the market and I never quite felt like myself on it."

Danica111 August 19, 2015

"Tried this out because I wanted a lower dose birth control pill. I was on it for 3 months and I got two periods a month (PLUS breakthrough bleeding), worsened acne that only went away on the break, as well as bad mood swings. I would cry every few days for no reason. I'm switching to Diane 35 for my cystic acne ( which loestrin fe made worse). The only positive was that Lolo controlled my primary dysmenorrhea."

anonymous782 August 19, 2015

"I started this pill when I got my period about 2 weeks ago, but since have had spotting literally every single day. I know it's supposed to prevent pregnancy being a birth control pill, but I didn't realize the method was preventing you from having sex because of continuous bleeding? Questioning my doctors sanity for prescribing this pill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I have been on this pill for 2 years. Side effects experienced lasted about 4 months and then everything went back to normal .This included going from a C cup to D cup. Eventually went back down to C. Did NOT experience weight gain in other areas except chest. Breakouts pretty bad in first 4 months, but calmed down after my body got used to it. I'd recommend doing facials during this beginning period to calm the skin. I still get occasional breakouts, but nothing like the nightmare stories reading on the reviews. I'd suggest sticking through it for at least 6-8 months before you throw in the towel. Your body is going to react to new hormones entering your body. I get my period sometimes not at all and sometimes 2-5 days."

tb 910 August 17, 2015

"My experience with this BC started out well but quickly took a horrible turn. I had been on it a few years ago and experienced moods swings so I stopped taking it. I started again about 3 months ago. While I had no period, crapping, or acne..it caused me to be more anxious than I ever had been. I have barely slept in days, I feel extremely depressed and have a negative outlook on life. This BC ruined me, nausea, leg pain, anxiety and depression. Please be careful if you have a history of anxiety or depression taking this. The mood swings just aren't worth it. Losing my sex drive and have been pulling away from my boyfriend. I would definitely not recommend this BC to anyone, even someone I hated lol."

emjaj (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

"HORRIBLE went from 127 to 145 got off the pill. Lost the weight very quickly off! Makes you bloated and crazy!"

Taylpr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2015

"I have only been on this pill for week, and I feel as if I'm not even on b.c. at all. I feel no change which is welcome after dealing with ortho tri cyclen lo for several years. With that pill if I missed a pill or started later than a week after the last set of pills, it made me feel like crap. This pill, I haven't felt anything since starting it. And that's awesome."

RagingBrunette August 14, 2015