Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe

Learn more about Lo Loestrin Fe.

Lo Loestrin Fe review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lo Loestrin Fe to treat Birth Control

Review by Leigh31 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Well after reading the reviews I'm not so worried about the fact that I haven't had my period for 2 months. I've definitely been freaking out and took 5 pregnancy tests in the past 2 months (even though I've only had sex twice, I just had to be sure, lol.) It would have been nice if my doctor would have mentioned that this was one of the side effects instead of me finding it out on my own, after 2 months of a normal cycle. She put me on this pill because I was experiencing daily discharge with the generic Tri-cyclen. That has ceased to be a problem since starting this particular kind of pill. I have not had any negative side effects, other than not having my period (sure it's no picnic but it gives me peace of mind every month).

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 10:23 PM

Review by Lm2323 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Lo Loestrin FE for over a year now and I'm happy with the birth control. I didn't gain any weight. I didn't have any negative side effects. It's expensive out of pocket but now my insurance covers it so that's a plus!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by Bee_bee:

I started Lo Loestrin Fe because I was having some irregularities with my period and also to prevent pregnancies. This pill was awful. First of all, I already suffer from acne, which is slowly improving. However, this made my acne really bad and I began to develop cystic acne. I began to get constant awful migraines, and I don't have a history of migraines. I was also getting moody. The pill affects everyone differently. But this pill did not work for me. After suffering a whole month with migraines and cystic acne, I stopped once my pack was done. I considered trying to stick it out, but decided it wasn't worth it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got on the pill in May, I got my period that month but haven't gotten one since. Ive taken pregnancy tests every month and they all come out negative

November 4, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Cristy040711 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had a light period ever since I started taking this pill.( I' on my 3rd month) My Dr. told me it would get better but it has not. Maybe the amount of hormone is too low? I'm not happy with it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by Suzie20008:

Into my second year on this and very pleased. The first two months adjusting were definitely a bit tough: nausea, headache, breast tenderness, bizarre acne. I stuck it out and very glad I did! After those two months, zero side effects. No period, no weight gain, nausea, cramps, or breast tenderness... Nothing! In fact, I'm 37 & I've lost 20 lbs while on it. And most importantly, it's been effective in preventing pregnancy!

October 13, 2014 4:14 AM

Review by Mel03657:

I'm nearing the end of my 4th month on this pill. It was the first birth control I've been on. Prior to taking this pill I always had acne problems. My first month on Lo Loestrin Fe was absolutely horrible acne-wise. I even developed a large cyst on my forehead (yikes!). It went away in a few weeks. I'd say after the first 2 months my acne was back to normal and now it's beginning to get better. I see a lot of girls talking about how horrible it makes their acne but my dermatologist said give it 6 months and see. Try and wait it out, it will probably get better. I had no side effects aside from the acne. 2 periods last month, but I'm assuming my body is still getting used to it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 4:39 PM

Review by aquatic10:

48 years old. Was prescribed Lo Loestrin Fe for heavy frequent bleeding. OB told me it might even suppress periods. First cycle, had light discharge for 10 days. Second cycle: nothing, no period! Crossing fingers !

September 30, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by jennymac15:

I have have been taking Lo Loestrin for 5 months now and only had one short light period, which scares me because I am not used to not having a period. I haven't has any side effects with the birth control. I'm 24 yrs old and about 180lbs, I gain weight very easily with other birth control pills but haven't with Lo Loestrin. I love the pill other than not having a period for 4 months, I'm not sure if that's normal or not, definitely have to speak to the doctor. Lo Loestrin works real well preventing pregnancy, that's the reason I am sticking with it, and plus it doesn't have all these extra hormones like other birth controls.

September 25, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by Anonymous121 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been taking this medication for about a year and a half now. I began taking it because other birth controls made me moody and the obvious fact that I'm not ready to be pregnant yet. This medication definitely makes you nauseous. I feel nauseous nearly every day. I haven't had a period since the first two months that I started the pill. Normally I wouldn't complain about a lack of periods, but other side effects I've had include frequent (I'm talking back to back to back) yeast infections and (TMI) vaginal dryness. Intercourse can be very painful. I'm switching off of this medication as I have tried everything to no avail. Being on birth control seems pointless if I can't even have sex.

September 24, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by allim (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I never had a bad experience with this pill. I freaked out when I first started taking it because I didn't have a period. But I fell in love with it. I don't have periods. I don't get any weight gain or mood swings. I have been on this pill for about 4years now. It does take a bit for your both do get use to a pill. So don't hate it. It will take a month to a few. I haven't had any problems with it.

September 22, 2014 1:57 PM

Review by Christina1143:

I've been on this birth control for over a year now. There are some good and some bad that come with it. Of course. I'm 21, always have had light periods and when I started this birth control, I quit having them. I take ALL of my pills when I'm supposed to and I haven't had a period in months. Here and there I will spot for less than a day. I'm somewhat moody and get angry easier than I should sometimes. Great news, I didn't lose my sex drive on this pill as I have with others. I'd recommend trying it, if it works, it works. If not, onto the next.

September 21, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by CC14:

I was on Lo Loestrin FE for about two years. The first year and a half were GREAT! I had absolutely no side effects, never had my period, and most importantly never got pregnant. Unfortunately, near the end I begin experiencing severe vaginal dryness, pain during intercourse, mood swings, and acne. I have no clue what happened, but am sadly discontinuing use. I am temporarily switching to the patch which will hopefully work better with my body. I soon plan on getting either the Mirena or Nexplanon for long-term prevention and less hassle (I hope). The price was also terrible. For the longest time I paid $75 a month which eventually decreased to $50 and then to $25. Be sure to ask your Dr for the discount card and sample packs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by Aleccd:

While this birth control did it's job by being a good contraceptive, I have a lot of symptoms with it. I gained 15 lbs in the first 2 months, had so much acne, and just felt like complete crap. I couldn't do it anymore after the 6th month, so I stopped taking it. Everyone is different but it is definitely not for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm getting ready to finish up my second pack at the end of this week. I have to say after the first month, I really debated to quit taking it. I had HORRIBLE side effects. Constant headaches, muscle aches and spasms and my period was HORRIFIC. Then again this was the first real period I've had in years. It came on my 2nd week and lasted throughout the rest of my pack and it was HEAVY. Like 3 boxes of super tampons heavy! I was breaking out, cramps were TERRIBLE, irritable and felt like I had no energy BUT I found out I was also extremely deficient in Vitamin D and I needed more potassium. Now that I'm taking my multi-vitamins, I've found that my side effects have really subsided. My period is LIGHT and my sex drive has increased.

September 15, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by KayRenee:

I'm a week from completing my 2nd pack of this birth control and so far, so good. My first two weeks I experienced slight nausea, nothing to stop my day. I did have recurrent headaches during that period as well however, they've diminished in occurrence. My first 'period' was extremely light. I only saw pale streaks upon wiping, nothing transferred to my liner. I have experienced a leap in my appetite so I've had to take more care in my eating habits. Overall, I'd recommend this pill to others. My effects have been minimal and I still feel like myself.

September 5, 2014 8:09 PM

Review by Neisha615:

This is my first month of using this birth control I haven't had a period yet. I'm broke out in bad acne having mood swings and depression, which I don't like. I stay angry at everybody. I'm on my last week of the pill I'll never take this pill again.

September 2, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by marley1989:

Some background: I am 25, have never been on birth control and have regular periods. I'm on my 5th pack of Lo Loestrin Fe and so far am pretty pleased with it other than a few annoying things. I did experience some spotting in the very beginning, and when I started my 4th pack I got my period 2 weeks early which was surprising since I'm so used to having a regular period. I also seem to get a mild yeast infection around the time of my period which, as you can imagine, is awful. I don't really want to stop taking this pill because my skin has cleared up and I haven't gained any weight. Just dealing with the yeast with probiotics/yogurt and hopefully it'll all balance out. If not I'm just going to stop taking it.

August 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by Brenna C:

I've been on this pill for about 3 months now and I am really considering changing it. I have a really weird period side effect where it changes the color of my period & it makes it come early or late & it always makes me scared that I'm pregnant. Plus I can never loose weight being on this pill. Lastly, the pill makes me very moody as well. I am going to talk to my doctor about it at the end of the month.

August 15, 2014 1:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I took Lo Loestrin Fe for 9 months. It was the first contraceptive I had taken but my body had a hard time getting used to it. I broke out in mild hives, I had muscle aches, nausea, mood swings the first week. After that things pretty well smoothed out slowly I didn't break through bleed, didn't gain weight, acne cleared up maybe 5 periods the whole time I took it. It definitely helped with cramps and pain, which is why I began taking it. Though it worked good after about 5 months of taking it I began getting migraines and feeling tired all the time and cramping a little more so I'm switching off it, but it was good for me for a while I really liked it!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Nicolemichelle:

Very fast weight gain. I have been on these pills about two months now and have gained 15lbs

August 14, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by Periodless (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Overall, this is a great pill. I love that I am not putting nearly as many hormones into my body as other brands. However, there are some side effects that I've experienced. The first month was miserable for me. I had terrible mood swings as my body adjusted to the hormones. However, after the first month my mood and acne regulated. Like many other people who reviewed here, I did experience periods (almost constant) every other week for the first 4 months on the pill, but my cramps were nonexistent. With each month my period lightened and I haven't had a period (minus spotting) for 2 months now. Overall, this pill is great, but if you like a regular period to reassure yourself, try a different pill. My advice- wait it out!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by anna g (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on Lo Loestrin Fe for almost a year now. I really haven't had very many side effects with it. The one thing that's been a major problem is inconsistency with my periods, which was a problem before I started taking birth control too. There have been months when I haven't had a period at all, and others when I've had a period as well as breakthrough bleeding mid-month. I'm switching to a pill with a little bit more estrogen in it to see if that will regulate my period better. I haven't missed any pills, and I take them within two hours of one another everyday. I was initially really worried about nausea being an issue, so I take them at night - but I've had no problems. I did have some breast tenderness for the first few months, but it's gone now.

August 6, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Acai berry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This is the first birth control I have been on, and after hearing all the birth control horror stories that friends/family had, I'm happy to say that my experience with this pill so far has been a good one! The first month or two I did experience some acne and occasional nausea, as well as going from a B to C cup (a welcome change.) However none of the symptoms have been any worse than symptoms of a period. My period lightened soon after beginning the pill packs and I stopped getting my period alltogether about 6 months after starting the pills, which (my Obgyn told me early on) was to be expected. My insurance also completely covers this pill, so that's definitely a plus!

August 6, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by ChrissyGazerock (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This pill worked very well for me. I have been taking it for over 2 years for my horrible menstrual cramps and I love it. I am a very petite 95 pound, 19 year old girl and this has not caused any side effects for me at all. I had no weight gain although I went from a B cup to a C cup, but that I didn't mind. Overall, very good birth control, definitely would recommend it.

August 1, 2014 5:46 AM