User Reviews for Ortho Evra

Learn more about Ortho Evra.

Ortho Evra review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

Review by 5 year user (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I switched to the patch after getting Depo-Provera shots for about two years. I have to say I love the patch and that it is extremely effective and very convenient. The only issue I seem to have is that when I take it off, the day I start my period I nearly always get a major migraine, but that could also be linked to my period. My skin is normally clear, way clearer than it was before I was on the patch, and my period does not last as long as they did before I used birth control. My breasts I'm sure are also bigger because of it, which to me is too big. Overall it has prevented pregnancy thus far for me, and I plan on using it for a while.

September 27, 2014 1:19 AM

Review by MS94:

I am rating this a 10, because I believe it's extremely effective. I have been on the patch for almost 4 years & I never once had a pregnancy scare. For me I get regular periods, but I also get most of the side effects. After the first few months periods are regular, mine last between 3-5 days. I get more emotional, I get mood swings, cramps, headaches, I bloat, I basically get all the the side effects, but they are not severe. Every once in a while they are pretty bad, but that will only happen once every 6 months-year. On the patch I never gained weight from it. The only thing I truly dislike about it is I will get really nauseous and throw up if I don't eat anything the night before I put a new one on and recently I'll have bloody discharge.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by wish21forever (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm 21 years old, and have been on the patch for 2 years now, in the beginning, I wasn't nauseous or anything, but in last couple of months, nausea and headache have gotten really bad. I'm still going to be on it for two more weeks until I get an IUD, cannot wait! Other than that, its pretty good, no pregnancy, no dryness, no mood swings.

September 12, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Carlee12345:

I'm 17 and have been using the Ortho Evra Patch for about 2 years now, I absolutely love it!! It helped out my periods a lot! Before I was on the Nuvaring and I hated it compared to the patch! It's so easy to remember and easy to apply! It just looks like a nude color band aid, I just apply it to my butt cheek so no one can see it. The first few weeks I had some problems, but after I've never had another problem with it! I highly suggest it! And it definitely prevents pregnancy!

August 19, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by Shyanna (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm 19, I've been on the patch for almost a year and a half, I've recommended it to quite a few of my friends. ITS THE BEST. The first three months are a bit crazy. Constant nausea, tender breasts, emotional but all these things are bearable and seem to fade away after your body gets used to the patch. Easier to remember to change it. It's so convenient.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by PatchRocks (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on the Nuva Ring before the patch and It was working for me just fine but my sex drive was non existent. I switched to the Patch because I wanted something easy, and let me tell you its amazing! The first two months I did have random cramping and sore breasts but It was manageable and did not really bother me. The patch is easy to remember because I change it on Sunday and that is my "me day": I do my nails, facial, change my patch, and plan the week ahead. The only problem I had was sometimes it did come off, but I easily fixed that my using rubbing alcohol on my bum before I applied patch, now it never falls off. I would recommend the patch to those of us who are control freaks and love to plan everything including your period,

July 5, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by CarlyJean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first went to the doctor I was not interested in the patch, she talked me into it and said if I didn't like it after a few months to come back and we would change it. With the birth control pills I used to take I had to pay $50 a month. Although, with the patch I am paying nothing. FREE! Now to the symptoms. The first 3 month sucked between headaches, nausea, being moody, and tired. The worst symptom was cramps when I was not on my period at random times. It hurt so bad and was very annoying. After 3 month of using the patch the symptoms are gone and I absolutely LOVE THE PATCH. I have been on it for about 6 months and the only downfall is that clothes lint collets around it but it's not a huge deal if you put it where no one can see

May 22, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Channiepoo:

I am on day 6 of wearing the patch for the first time. On the 3rd day, nausea began and it has come in waves everyday since. I also feel extremely tired. I have had moments where I want to rip it off but I have read that the symptoms will lessen if I stick it out. I am 31 years old and have not been on any birth control in at least 13 years and have no children. So at this point, I am going to stick it out a bit longer.

April 30, 2014 11:09 PM

Review by Purple.phoenix (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started the patch today and I felt so nauseous from it being on my abdomen that I had to move it to my arm. I ended up having to put a new patch on because the first one got ruined when I took it off

April 30, 2014 10:04 PM

Review by fluterbrd1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is absolutely the best birth control I have ever used. I switched from Nexplanon to Ortho Evra, and if you are thinking of doing the same, I highly recommend it. Let me list the reasons why: 1. Weight loss. I have lost 5lbs in one month, without even trying! I'm back to the weight I was before I started birth control...but my breasts are still birth control sized. 2. Sex drive. Mine had been non-existent since I went on Nexplanon in September. Now, stronger than ever. That might be a downside though, now that I think about it. 3. Skin- no acne! 4. Predictable cycle. (On Nexplanon, I never knew when I was going to menstruate, which was about 90% of the time). Now, a non issue. 5. Don't have to remember everyday.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by hleea67 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I really really enjoy using this. I'm 17 and I am now on my period from the 2nd cycle. The only downside is sometimes it would feel like it itches but turns out its the area around it. Also, my cramps are horrid right now but i think this is a very effective contraceptive.

April 26, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by Lovnit (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love the patch, I'm 17 and I've been on it for 4-5 months, it's so convenient and easy! My periods last 4 days and are super light, never got sick or felt sleepy! It's amazing.

April 24, 2014 10:30 PM

Best birth control I have every been on. I was on Seasonquie before the patch and I had my period for a month straight. I have been on almost every birth control. This is by far the best birth control I have ever been on. It also helped with my acne. I only break out maybe two pimples before my period now. It also cleared up my acne I had before going on this birth control.

April 24, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm a 19 year old and I've had my fair share with different birth controls. I tried the NuvaRing and that was not the most comfortable thing in the world so I decided to try the Patch. I've been on it for a solid year and a half and for the most part it works, I have not had a child. But every month I would get so nauseous after putting a new patch on after my period that I'd need to sit back and close my eyes for awhile. It drained my energy levels completely. And every so often I would have my period for a lengthy month, without it lightening up or signs of stopping. I was finally fed up with my monthly periods that I went to the doctor and she suggested the Mirena.

April 21, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Team no baby.:

I've even on the patch for just over a year now. I like the patch, but there are side effects. Be careful putting the patch near your groin muscles. It can cause blood clot. And it is extremely painful! It happened to me and I'm still in the patch I'm just a lot more careful of where I stick it to. Stick it on your lower back or your bum. Your bum would probably be the bet spot because the patch easily gets stuck on your jeans, shirt, bra, and will come off if you don't notice in time! Overall this birth control is very effective. But remember double the protection, better chances of staying on the safe side.

April 14, 2014 8:06 AM

Review by happytail2014 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I gained weight from the Depo shot. I was extremely sick on the pills. The Ortho Evra patch was a gateway to happiness. I had multicystic ovaries that made life uncomfortable for me from random pains and swelling to uncomfortable sex. I tried many different contraceptives and the patch is the only one that helped. My only complaints is the residue from the patch breast tenderness (although I did go up a size and my sex drive went way up). My husband hides from me now haha. Make sure you use as directed. Skipping a few days on The switcharoo will throw your period off.

April 11, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on the patch for almost four months now and I love it! It is much more convenient than taking birth control pills everyday, most of the time I forget I even have it on. The first month I experienced really emotional mood swings and a really heavy, long period. Those side effects have really tapered off since then, I'm still slightly more emotional during my period and it still can be a little heavy the first day or two. Nothing too bad at all and I think the longer I'm on the Patch, the better it'll get. It is also completely free with my current insurance plan. And the best part, it is effective! All in all I'd totally recommend it

March 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by mollyelizabeth (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Overall, the patch is easy and convenient- especially for a college freshman. I was on the patch for about 4 months and my only complaints are that I struggled placing it somewhere that it didn't get wrinkled and gross from fabric, I was more emotional (could also be stress from college), and I did gain about 10 pound within those four months. I'm also a runner and swim occasionally, so I have to limit my time in the pool and can't sweat too much because I'm scared the patch will fall off. Otherwise, it cleared up my acne, lessened my symptoms from my period, and my period is perfectly regulated and only last about 4 days. Definitely recommend. I found the best place to put the patch is on the upper arm.

March 24, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by 29137:

I love this patch and would recommend it to anyone! I'm British so the cost is all covered too which is even better! On the first full day of using the patch I was violently sick and felt nauseous for the morning but that was it. Since then I have actually calmed down with mood swings and a lot less snappy! Also I'm quite small and have naturally small breasts but have gone up about half a cup size in the 3 weeks I've been on it!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I want to share my experience from being on Ortho Evra. I have only been on the patch for a month and this is my week off of the patch. I got to say being on the patch has been the best experience I've had on birth control. Before this I was on 2 different kinds of birth control pills. First one I wasn't even on it for a month I was always sick, the second one was little better but after a year it made me sick. So I started Ortho Evra and the only bad side effect has been that my Breast are a little sore. But they also seem fuller which is great. I love knowing when I'm going to get my period since I was never reg before. I got it on time now and that's great. I also love the fact that I only have to change it once a week.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by Jazzyjazz (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I loved this birth control. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome. On this birth control I lost 60 pounds, and I probably would have continued losing the weight I gained from the syndrome if I didn't stop. Unfortunately, insurances don't like covering this, which is why I had to stop taking it, as I couldn't afford it. I hate the new pill I'm on, and might switch up again. This patch didn't make me depressed (like the pill does), I lost acne quickly, and my hair lessened in growth. The only thing I hated is after you take off the patch you have the square mark from it on you for a couple weeks. I recommend 100%!

March 12, 2014 8:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Only side effect so far is random nauseousness. Hate that it's sticky on the outside and 1-2 days before change date it's almost peeling off.

March 4, 2014 6:31 PM

Review by Ryoneko:

I ended up trying the patch after having too many bad experiences with the pill form. I have fibroids and am extremely irregular (skip months at a time, so I really needed to be on something. The first few months were a bit rough, but it evened out pretty smoothly after that. I've now been on the patch for over two years and I absolutely love it. I've never had it fall off, and I no longer have any side effects. In fact, 99% of the time I forget it's even there. Not pregnant yet either, so it works there too. Great option if you can't handle the pill.

February 26, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by steph. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 17 & I've been on the patch for 4 months now. Before this I had been on the pill for a few years but it started to become inconvenient. The patch is VERY convenient for me. I've tried quite a few birth controls for my heavy and painful periods but nothing has ever worked. The patch hasn't made too much of a difference in that area but my skin is clear & I'm definitely protected from pregnancy. The first two months my period was really bad but it got better. I'm happy with the patch and I recommend it. One downside is the color of it though. I'm African American so my skin is brown and the patch is kind of pink like a Bandaid. No big deal though.

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by aimz. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Well basically when I first used it, it was great only have tender breasts felt a little sick but it went away. Then all of a sudden I had these terrible mood swings. Felt really emotional. And I've been that exhausted, I've had to take naps during the day. So yeah not that good for me.

February 7, 2014 4:43 AM