User Reviews for Ortho Evra

Learn more about Ortho Evra.

Ortho Evra review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

Review by cee13.:

Been using the patch for eight years. Never had a scare and no side effects and so easy to use

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by Jackmann (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 19 years old and started the patch 3 days ago. I took birth control pills for 3 years and recently had my Implanon removed after a year and a half with horrible, heavy periods and terrible mood swings. So far, the patch isn't affecting me terribly. I do have nausea in the mornings but nothing too terrible I just hope it ends soon. I will come back and post in a few months after I see how my body adjust to it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 9:54 AM

Review by Nellymuah:

I first decided to try the patch after trying the pills for several months. I liked the idea of only having to worry about changing it once a week as oppose to having to worry about the pill every day. At first everything was perfect, I had some spotting here and there but nothing major. My mood was normal and I had no weight gain. The downside of it for me were the headaches. I got terrible headaches from it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by bugzmom1999 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've only been on the patch for 6 days and the nausea is almost unbearable. No other side effects so far but moodiness. I hope the naisea passes soon or I'm done with it!

December 20, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on the patch for 10 months now and I absolutely love it. I don't worry about pregnant scares at all. The only down side I have is that when I put on a new patch after my period I get really nauseated and a bad headache for a few hours but this started about 3 months ago and the other downside is that when I exercise and take hot showers it seems to make the patch slip off. But it's honestly the best birth control I've been on EASY to use and GREAT protection.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I hadn't been on birth control before the patch but my experience on it has been pretty pleasant. My period is a lot shorter and it comes exactly 3 days after I take my patch off for my week off. The only negative I have found is that I am way more emotional than I have ever been in my life. I cry way more often (when I'm wearing the patch and on my period). Which I find very strange since I had gone from not crying ever, to crying about once a week.

December 3, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by georgiapeach737 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This patch works great. One tip when using it is make sure you constantly have food in your stomach. In the morning on an empty stomach it can make you feel sick.

November 25, 2014 11:55 AM

Review by Ajae:

The only side effects I have experienced are bloating and tender breast. I think my breast are growing and I think it is a downside because I don't want them too. I didn't notice any weight loss or gain. I had spotting which is normal but it is annoying I just suggest using pantyliners

November 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by Fina9912 (taken for less than 1 month):

I feel like I'm starving ever since I been on the patch I feel nauseous everyday.

October 23, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by 5 year user (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I switched to the patch after getting Depo-Provera shots for about two years. I have to say I love the patch and that it is extremely effective and very convenient. The only issue I seem to have is that when I take it off, the day I start my period I nearly always get a major migraine, but that could also be linked to my period. My skin is normally clear, way clearer than it was before I was on the patch, and my period does not last as long as they did before I used birth control. My breasts I'm sure are also bigger because of it, which to me is too big. Overall it has prevented pregnancy thus far for me, and I plan on using it for a while.

September 27, 2014 1:19 AM

Review by MS94:

I am rating this a 10, because I believe it's extremely effective. I have been on the patch for almost 4 years & I never once had a pregnancy scare. For me I get regular periods, but I also get most of the side effects. After the first few months periods are regular, mine last between 3-5 days. I get more emotional, I get mood swings, cramps, headaches, I bloat, I basically get all the the side effects, but they are not severe. Every once in a while they are pretty bad, but that will only happen once every 6 months-year. On the patch I never gained weight from it. The only thing I truly dislike about it is I will get really nauseous and throw up if I don't eat anything the night before I put a new one on and recently I'll have bloody discharge.

September 17, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by wish21forever (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm 21 years old, and have been on the patch for 2 years now, in the beginning, I wasn't nauseous or anything, but in last couple of months, nausea and headache have gotten really bad. I'm still going to be on it for two more weeks until I get an IUD, cannot wait! Other than that, its pretty good, no pregnancy, no dryness, no mood swings.

September 12, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Carlee12345:

I'm 17 and have been using the Ortho Evra Patch for about 2 years now, I absolutely love it!! It helped out my periods a lot! Before I was on the Nuvaring and I hated it compared to the patch! It's so easy to remember and easy to apply! It just looks like a nude color band aid, I just apply it to my butt cheek so no one can see it. The first few weeks I had some problems, but after I've never had another problem with it! I highly suggest it! And it definitely prevents pregnancy!

August 19, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by Shyanna (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm 19, I've been on the patch for almost a year and a half, I've recommended it to quite a few of my friends. ITS THE BEST. The first three months are a bit crazy. Constant nausea, tender breasts, emotional but all these things are bearable and seem to fade away after your body gets used to the patch. Easier to remember to change it. It's so convenient.

August 2, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by PatchRocks (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on the Nuva Ring before the patch and It was working for me just fine but my sex drive was non existent. I switched to the Patch because I wanted something easy, and let me tell you its amazing! The first two months I did have random cramping and sore breasts but It was manageable and did not really bother me. The patch is easy to remember because I change it on Sunday and that is my "me day": I do my nails, facial, change my patch, and plan the week ahead. The only problem I had was sometimes it did come off, but I easily fixed that my using rubbing alcohol on my bum before I applied patch, now it never falls off. I would recommend the patch to those of us who are control freaks and love to plan everything including your period,

July 5, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by CarlyJean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first went to the doctor I was not interested in the patch, she talked me into it and said if I didn't like it after a few months to come back and we would change it. With the birth control pills I used to take I had to pay $50 a month. Although, with the patch I am paying nothing. FREE! Now to the symptoms. The first 3 month sucked between headaches, nausea, being moody, and tired. The worst symptom was cramps when I was not on my period at random times. It hurt so bad and was very annoying. After 3 month of using the patch the symptoms are gone and I absolutely LOVE THE PATCH. I have been on it for about 6 months and the only downfall is that clothes lint collets around it but it's not a huge deal if you put it where no one can see

May 22, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Channiepoo:

I am on day 6 of wearing the patch for the first time. On the 3rd day, nausea began and it has come in waves everyday since. I also feel extremely tired. I have had moments where I want to rip it off but I have read that the symptoms will lessen if I stick it out. I am 31 years old and have not been on any birth control in at least 13 years and have no children. So at this point, I am going to stick it out a bit longer.

April 30, 2014 11:09 PM

Review by Purple.phoenix (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started the patch today and I felt so nauseous from it being on my abdomen that I had to move it to my arm. I ended up having to put a new patch on because the first one got ruined when I took it off

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 10:04 PM

Review by fluterbrd1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is absolutely the best birth control I have ever used. I switched from Nexplanon to Ortho Evra, and if you are thinking of doing the same, I highly recommend it. Let me list the reasons why: 1. Weight loss. I have lost 5lbs in one month, without even trying! I'm back to the weight I was before I started birth control...but my breasts are still birth control sized. 2. Sex drive. Mine had been non-existent since I went on Nexplanon in September. Now, stronger than ever. That might be a downside though, now that I think about it. 3. Skin- no acne! 4. Predictable cycle. (On Nexplanon, I never knew when I was going to menstruate, which was about 90% of the time). Now, a non issue. 5. Don't have to remember everyday.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by hleea67 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I really really enjoy using this. I'm 17 and I am now on my period from the 2nd cycle. The only downside is sometimes it would feel like it itches but turns out its the area around it. Also, my cramps are horrid right now but i think this is a very effective contraceptive.

April 26, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by Lovnit (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love the patch, I'm 17 and I've been on it for 4-5 months, it's so convenient and easy! My periods last 4 days and are super light, never got sick or felt sleepy! It's amazing.

April 24, 2014 10:30 PM

Best birth control I have every been on. I was on Seasonquie before the patch and I had my period for a month straight. I have been on almost every birth control. This is by far the best birth control I have ever been on. It also helped with my acne. I only break out maybe two pimples before my period now. It also cleared up my acne I had before going on this birth control.

April 24, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm a 19 year old and I've had my fair share with different birth controls. I tried the NuvaRing and that was not the most comfortable thing in the world so I decided to try the Patch. I've been on it for a solid year and a half and for the most part it works, I have not had a child. But every month I would get so nauseous after putting a new patch on after my period that I'd need to sit back and close my eyes for awhile. It drained my energy levels completely. And every so often I would have my period for a lengthy month, without it lightening up or signs of stopping. I was finally fed up with my monthly periods that I went to the doctor and she suggested the Mirena.

April 21, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Team no baby.:

I've even on the patch for just over a year now. I like the patch, but there are side effects. Be careful putting the patch near your groin muscles. It can cause blood clot. And it is extremely painful! It happened to me and I'm still in the patch I'm just a lot more careful of where I stick it to. Stick it on your lower back or your bum. Your bum would probably be the bet spot because the patch easily gets stuck on your jeans, shirt, bra, and will come off if you don't notice in time! Overall this birth control is very effective. But remember double the protection, better chances of staying on the safe side.

April 14, 2014 8:06 AM

Review by happytail2014 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I gained weight from the Depo shot. I was extremely sick on the pills. The Ortho Evra patch was a gateway to happiness. I had multicystic ovaries that made life uncomfortable for me from random pains and swelling to uncomfortable sex. I tried many different contraceptives and the patch is the only one that helped. My only complaints is the residue from the patch breast tenderness (although I did go up a size and my sex drive went way up). My husband hides from me now haha. Make sure you use as directed. Skipping a few days on The switcharoo will throw your period off.

April 11, 2014 12:04 PM