User Reviews for Ortho Evra

Learn more about Ortho Evra.

Ortho Evra review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

Review by Team no baby.: User Rating:

I've even on the patch for just over a year now. I like the patch, but there are side effects. Be careful putting the patch near your groin muscles. It can cause blood clot. And it is extremely painful! It happened to me and I'm still in the patch I'm just a lot more careful of where I stick it to. Stick it on your lower back or your bum. Your bum would probably be the bet spot because the patch easily gets stuck on your jeans, shirt, bra, and will come off if you don't notice in time! Overall this birth control is very effective. But remember double the protection, better chances of staying on the safe side.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 14, 2014 8:06 AM
Review by happytail2014 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I gained weight from the Depo shot. I was extremely sick on the pills. The Ortho Evra patch was a gateway to happiness. I had multicystic ovaries that made life uncomfortable for me from random pains and swelling to uncomfortable sex. I tried many different contraceptives and the patch is the only one that helped. My only complaints is the residue from the patch breast tenderness (although I did go up a size and my sex drive went way up). My husband hides from me now haha. Make sure you use as directed. Skipping a few days on The switcharoo will throw your period off.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 12:04 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on the patch for almost four months now and I love it! It is much more convenient than taking birth control pills everyday, most of the time I forget I even have it on. The first month I experienced really emotional mood swings and a really heavy, long period. Those side effects have really tapered off since then, I'm still slightly more emotional during my period and it still can be a little heavy the first day or two. Nothing too bad at all and I think the longer I'm on the Patch, the better it'll get. It is also completely free with my current insurance plan. And the best part, it is effective! All in all I'd totally recommend it

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 25, 2014 2:22 AM
Review by mollyelizabeth (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Overall, the patch is easy and convenient- especially for a college freshman. I was on the patch for about 4 months and my only complaints are that I struggled placing it somewhere that it didn't get wrinkled and gross from fabric, I was more emotional (could also be stress from college), and I did gain about 10 pound within those four months. I'm also a runner and swim occasionally, so I have to limit my time in the pool and can't sweat too much because I'm scared the patch will fall off. Otherwise, it cleared up my acne, lessened my symptoms from my period, and my period is perfectly regulated and only last about 4 days. Definitely recommend. I found the best place to put the patch is on the upper arm.

March 24, 2014 7:11 PM
Review by 29137: User Rating:

I love this patch and would recommend it to anyone! I'm British so the cost is all covered too which is even better! On the first full day of using the patch I was violently sick and felt nauseous for the morning but that was it. Since then I have actually calmed down with mood swings and a lot less snappy! Also I'm quite small and have naturally small breasts but have gone up about half a cup size in the 3 weeks I've been on it!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2014 4:45 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I want to share my experience from being on Ortho Evra. I have only been on the patch for a month and this is my week off of the patch. I got to say being on the patch has been the best experience I've had on birth control. Before this I was on 2 different kinds of birth control pills. First one I wasn't even on it for a month I was always sick, the second one was little better but after a year it made me sick. So I started Ortho Evra and the only bad side effect has been that my Breast are a little sore. But they also seem fuller which is great. I love knowing when I'm going to get my period since I was never reg before. I got it on time now and that's great. I also love the fact that I only have to change it once a week.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 9:41 AM
Review by Jazzyjazz (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I loved this birth control. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome. On this birth control I lost 60 pounds, and I probably would have continued losing the weight I gained from the syndrome if I didn't stop. Unfortunately, insurances don't like covering this, which is why I had to stop taking it, as I couldn't afford it. I hate the new pill I'm on, and might switch up again. This patch didn't make me depressed (like the pill does), I lost acne quickly, and my hair lessened in growth. The only thing I hated is after you take off the patch you have the square mark from it on you for a couple weeks. I recommend 100%!

March 12, 2014 8:57 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Only side effect so far is random nauseousness. Hate that it's sticky on the outside and 1-2 days before change date it's almost peeling off.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 6:31 PM
Review by Ryoneko: User Rating:

I ended up trying the patch after having too many bad experiences with the pill form. I have fibroids and am extremely irregular (skip months at a time, so I really needed to be on something. The first few months were a bit rough, but it evened out pretty smoothly after that. I've now been on the patch for over two years and I absolutely love it. I've never had it fall off, and I no longer have any side effects. In fact, 99% of the time I forget it's even there. Not pregnant yet either, so it works there too. Great option if you can't handle the pill.

February 26, 2014 10:48 PM
Review by steph. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm 17 & I've been on the patch for 4 months now. Before this I had been on the pill for a few years but it started to become inconvenient. The patch is VERY convenient for me. I've tried quite a few birth controls for my heavy and painful periods but nothing has ever worked. The patch hasn't made too much of a difference in that area but my skin is clear & I'm definitely protected from pregnancy. The first two months my period was really bad but it got better. I'm happy with the patch and I recommend it. One downside is the color of it though. I'm African American so my skin is brown and the patch is kind of pink like a Bandaid. No big deal though.

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM
Review by aimz. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Well basically when I first used it, it was great only have tender breasts felt a little sick but it went away. Then all of a sudden I had these terrible mood swings. Felt really emotional. And I've been that exhausted, I've had to take naps during the day. So yeah not that good for me.

February 7, 2014 4:43 AM
Review by aeb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I love the patch. I'm 17 and I use it to regulate my periods. They used to be very irregular and long and now they come like clockwork. They're kind of heavy but they only last 4-5 days which is so nice. The first week of the patch I felt pretty nauseated and I had loss of appetite, but after that I was fine. No nausea, no headaches, and my breasts got bigger. The only problem is that I'm extremely emotional. I overreact and cry a lot, especially before/during my period. Overall, though, the patch is great, and way easier than the pill. I recommend it.

February 1, 2014 2:35 PM
Review by 16: User Rating:

I am 16 and this was my first method of birth control. I wasn't good at taking pills so I chose this. In the first couple weeks my breasts felt tender. I only felt nauseous one time. I've had some headaches but nothing too bad. I also got more acne but now that I'm at the end of 3 months it seems like its gone away. I also fear that it will make me gain weight because I have gained 2-4 pounds since then. But I think my breasts got bigger.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 27, 2014 1:03 AM
Review by Michmichmichmich: User Rating:

First birth control I've used and I LOVE it. Been using it for 6 months now. I remember the first 2 patches I ever put on made me a bit nauseous, but now I put it on with no complaints whatsoever. When the patch needs to be taken off for my period, I typically get my period after 24hours. Although not recommended, it does work if you have unprotected sex so it's nice to have that safety in the back of your mind. The only complaint I could possibly have about it is the price of the patch per month. Other than that I've had no side effects and am very happy about it!

January 8, 2014 9:23 AM
Review by michelleCruz: User Rating:

I've been on the patch for about 9 years going on 10 years. Absolutely love it! It is super convenient, no pregnancies and if you're forgetful like I am it works GREAT! I tried the pill and that made me very nauseous so I decided to give Ortho Evra a try and it was the best decision I've ever made! My breasts grew but that's about the only side effect I experienced. Unfortunately I've been getting a lot of yeast infections recently so I'm going to try the Nuvaring to see if the Ortho patch is what's causing it (highly doubtful). Worth a try though. I highly recommend Ortho Evra.

December 26, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by olivestaff (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

My boyfriend and I were getting pretty serious so I thought to ask my OB about birth control. I had read about the patch and thought why not, so she prescribed me it and I didn't even need to have an exam. This is my first time using birth control (I'm 16). So far, the patch is awesome. My acne cleared up, and my breasts have grown a bit. When I first started using it, I had some cramps but that may just have been because of my period although the cramps were worse where I had placed the patch. I felt nauseous for about a week but it was intermittent and went away. After that I felt completely fine. And I have discovered that the best place to put the patch is on your hip near your butt, that way it doesn't wrinkle.

December 26, 2013 1:43 PM
Review by Micheyd: User Rating:

My experience with the patch was terrible. I started it Wednesday night and by Evening of Thursday I had a headache and felt completely drained at work to the point where I had to ask my manager if I could be sent home. Went to bed around 9:30 and but kept frequently waking up throughout the night. I had the most intense nausea, threw up, and then threw up again in the morning. Felt as if I was pregnant even though I'm not (on my period while I put the patch on). Immediately took the patch off me. The side effects were too brutal for me to endure.

December 13, 2013 3:10 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've had the patch for 3 months after having the Mirena removed. The patch is amazing despite constant breast tenderness. I'm happier and more Chilled out, my partner has noticed too. Best contraception I've ever tried! Highly recommend.

December 10, 2013 6:23 PM
Review by 2007shelby (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I recently started using Ortho Evra and LOVE it. Its easy to use and convenient, especially since you only have to change it once every week. When I first began using the patch, I had an upset stomach for about 2 days but after that I had no more stomach aches. I have also noticed breast tenderness, but its mild and goes away quickly. I have noticed occasional bleeding, but that also went away after the first few weeks. Overall I would highly recommend the product.

December 4, 2013 5:28 PM
Review by anneboy1992 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was completely new to birth control and did not want to be on a pill due to all the stories I've heard. The patch is amazing! Only have to worry about it once a week, haven't had any side effects not even bleeding or spotting, get to have my regular period, and is basically so convenient. It is on the more expensive side especially if insurance won't cover it but for me it was worth it. I don't have to wait for my period to start when I do plan on getting pregnant and is easy to wear. I prefer to wear mine on my shoulder blade because it doesn't rub against my clothes and people don't notice it which is nice. This is a great birth control and whoever invented it is a genius. Highly recommend especially if you're new to birth control.

December 4, 2013 1:16 AM
Review by horanl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just began the second week of the patch and so far, I love it! I put the patch on my bum and I alternate which sides every week. It stays on through showers, school, sex...etc. I haven't really had any side effects except a little bit of a headache every now and then, but I don't know if that even has anything to do with the patch because I have a problem staying hydrated. It's not the most attractive looking thing, but my boyfriend likes to see it because it lowers his stress and thus makes sex more enjoyable. Once this month is over I'll make another review to see if anything has changed!

November 20, 2013 2:52 PM
Review by Pututu (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have used the Ortho Evra patch 2 years ago and I loved it, did not fall pregnant and had no side effects, but I went back to using it again six(6) months ago, my sex drive has drastically dropped and suffering from vaginal dryness for the past 3 months.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2013 1:42 AM
Review by Molly0: User Rating:

I am almost on my third week of the patch. The first day was AWFUL, my cramps were so bad I couldn't sit through a meeting with my professor and he told me not to go to class. The next day was absolutely fine and has been fine ever since. My breasts have already gotten much fuller. So far no weight gain I don't think, a little itchiness at the site of application, but it seems to be working really well.

November 15, 2013 3:04 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started OE today, and I don't any signs or symptoms yet. It really doesn't feel like its there so I'm constantly touching my butt cheek to feel for the outline of the patch just making sure its still there lol. But I'll admit, I'm breaking the rules. I didn't start within 24 hrs of my period or 1st Sun after period starts. I'm a virgin but my period is late so I just started it anyways. I'm hoping for the bigger chest and weight loss everyone seems to be boasting about lol When I initially placed it onto my right butt cheek, i did feel some light, not really cramping, but more like sore muscle pulled something type of feeling on my right, lower back but it passed after about 20 min. It wasn't really anything noticeable.

November 10, 2013 1:12 AM
Review by greentree153: User Rating:

I've been on the patch for almost 4 years. I never had a problem with it, other than the fact that I've gained about 30lbs in the past 3 years. I was on the patch for a while and then went off of it. In the summer of 2010 I went back on and since then I have not been able to lose any weight. I don't know if it is from the patch but I have recently gone off (I can't afford it, and my presription is done) and I want to see if it will help me lose weight. I am very moody, and have breast tenderness during period, but I knew exactly the day I would get my period and when I would be done, it was always light and cramping was minimal. It think it's a great form of birth control (pretty pricy) but great. Just be aware of weight gain!!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate