User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, ...show all 53 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonique since grade 10 of high school because my periods were very irregular. For the first year and a half it worked perfectly with no side effects whatsoever. But now every third month of the pack, I spot heavily the whole time. I have brought more liners and pads then I ever would have had to. I absolutely love having my period only 4 times a year but now its like I'm having a month long period every 3 months. I am considering switching to something else because I don't know if I can keep living with it. If anyone has an explanation for why this is happening please share it with me."

Confused and Annoyed (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Switched from deposit shot to seasonique after my sophomore year of college. My doctor said I would have one week of bleeding at the end of each pack. But for some reason I end up spotting heavily the WHOLE third month, with a heavier period during the "bleed week". I am very consistent with the time I take it and I don't miss a day. But yet I'm still stuck with a month long period. Not sure if I should switch bc methods because of this. The only reason I was sold on seasonique was because I was expecting one NORMAL period once ever 3 months."

notsurewhatsgoingon (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Going on 2 months now. I had 16 days of extremely heavy bleeding with heavy clotting. I have PCOS and would have some crazy abnormal period but never with severe cramping and clotting. I went through a regular tampon in 1 hour and about 45 overnight pads in that 16 days. My left breast is considerably more tender at all times and I have random spotting and cramps almost every day. I'll be calling my doc to tell her I'm going off of this pill. I won't make it to the third month. I'd rather use condoms (and I hate condoms)."

Stepb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I tried many things to stop heavy bleeding including an ablation. Nothing made my period less heavy, let alone stopped it. I started Seasonique 2 years ago and in the beginning I had irregular spotting for the duration of the first pack. After that I had very light periods every 3 months, with occasional spotting in between. I was happy with the results. Now, nearly 2 years later, in the second month of a pack I am on a 7 day and counting period, extremely heavy with a lot of clots. Guess this has decided to stop working too so it is back to my OBG again to try something else."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2015

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My experience with contraceptives has been a rocky one. Levlen, so far, has been the only contraceptive I've tried that did not lead to constant black discharge. I've the implanon and several times have been prescribed slightly different pills, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to regular my discharge and periods, sometimes for months at a time. After taking Levlen for two days, my discharge would return to normal. It is definitely my preferred contraceptive method :)"

Sarahgrace75915 March 31, 2015

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Great experience so far while on this pill. First thing I noticed was my cramps had dulled down A LOT. When my period started, it was the lightest one I have EVER had! Completely manageable and lasted like 5 days (when my other ones while not on the pill were 6-7 days.) Hasn't lowered my sex drive (in fact it might have upped it now that I think about it), no acne problems, etc. And the great part is I get it for free!"

ThatOneGirlOverThere (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

CamreseLo (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am 24 years old and have been taking CamreseLo for approximately 2 and a half years. I love this pill; I have had no side effects. I have been on a birth control continuously since I was 12 because of an extremely heavy and irregular menstruation. After being on CamreseLo for a year, my flow became very minimal. Now after over 2 years, my period only lasts 1 day. It's amazing considering I have very minimal spotting in between the 3 months of active pills. It has also reduced my cramps; which used to be so bad I couldn't move."

Alligator90 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed Sronyx as a way to control the amount of blood I lose during my very heavy periods. I have been on it for about 5 months now and here is my experience with it. I feel very normal taking this pill. About Me: -Age: 24 -Weight: 105 -Ethnicity: Hispanic -Sexually Active -I eat healthy -Little to Moderate Exercise My Experience: -Period was lighter after 1st month and has continued to stay light. I used to bleed for 5-6 days heavily and get severe cramps. Now my periods are light and will last 3 days. I still get light cramps. -I have not gained weight. -Skin cleared up -No mood swings or depression. -Sex drive has not changed. -On occasions I will experience nausea after I eat. -I still PMS -NO 'breakthrough bleeding'"

And Rene (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2014

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Orsythia for 6 months for controlling dysmenorrhea, or painful periods. Before starting birth control overall two years ago, I missed at least two days of school and work a month because my cramps, backache, nausea, and headaches prevented me from doing more than sitting in bed crying. After Orsythia, I barely get a period, it lasts four days and I rarely need to use anything more than a pantiliner. I get the occasional cramp, but nothing unmanageable. I love this pill!"

anthonyj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2014

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "A new doctor switched me to this one from Beyaz. I had gotten migraines once every six months or so before I started birth control and on Yaz and Beyaz I had never had any real issues I was able to function with over the counter medicines for them. I just finished month number 3 today, during the first month I had 2 migraines with one that lasted two days and I had to go to the health center because I couldn't stand it any longer & got a shot for it. After that I went to my family doctor and was given migraine medication. I have had 8 migraines in the span of three months & have had to medicate with migraine medication instead of Motrin or Excedrine, add in extremely heavy period, cramps, and nausea and you can see why I'm switching back."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started Jolessa in October 2013 right when my period started at the beginning of the month. Right away I was sick to my stomach several days & My periods normally last the full 7 days, but on this pill it never stopped. It went to a light period and gradually throughout the 3 months got heavier until I started the white pills-the period week, at the end of December. Once I started the new pack January 1st. The bleeding finally stopped until Febuary 1st, started the second month of pills and right away started bleeding again. It is now Febuary 12 & I went to the doctor yesterday she put me on a different birth control Low-Ogestrel 28 and we're hoping this stops my bleeding and works better for me."

hammys.wifey February 12, 2014

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive."

Sandpie January 22, 2014

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "2nd month. Weight gain, horrible acne, nausea, and SPOTTING EVERY DAY. Even started 2 full blown periods during this month and a half. Trying to stick with it, not sure."

abelel (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2013

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonique for over 6 months. I have had continuous spotting along with cramps for the last 16 days. My doctor informed me to skip the pills at the end of the pack so that I do not have any periods due to my periods being extremely painful. However, I hate the fact that I have been spotting for over 2 weeks. I started this birth control to treat endometriosis and to regulate my periods. Yet, spotting every day is not any better. I am looking into other options right now. I don't like bleeding all the time."

EClass (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2013

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been having a hell of a time finding the right b.c!! Major mood swings cramps nonstop bleeding no sex drive, but so far i like aviane im on my second month, i am no longer bleeding(first pack i did for awhile but my body had to adjust ) no moodswings normal sex drive,breasts a bit tender and larger (not mad about that) appetite a bit bigger but for me thats good I need the gain weight"

jen5309867 November 5, 2013

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on birth control for 9 years for heavy/too frequent periods. For the first 6 years, Seasonique was amazing. However, especially within the past two years, I have had excessive spotting. For awhile, I was on the generic and just thought there was a difference between that and the name brand. Initially I had no problems, but I started a doctorate program and am sure the stress has a lot to do with it, but my spotting has started again. It'll happen any time I stress out or after having sex. I like not having my period for 3 months but now, im on my period more than a normal bc. Except it's worse. It comes unannounced and has ruined a number of undergarments."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2013

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been taking LoSeasonique for a few years. I went on antibiotics (Zpack) for a ear infection. I have never once had any issues with this before now. I have been on my period for a month now, the bleeding won't stop. My doctor said go off the pill for a week and let your body rest and it should stop, if it doesn't then I have to go in for an ultrasound. I am freaking out. Its been that week and I am still on my period. Make sure you let your doctors know you are on that pill before they prescribe you any antibiotics."

SemiSweet July 14, 2013

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My wife was always getting abnormal, heavy periods with pain, went to many doctors everyone had their own views, been through many types of ultrasounds, physical exams, blood tests, but no use and no one was able to diagnose problem until she was prescribed to take birth control pill 'Alesse'. Had few problems with the side effects in the beginning and after the first cycle, but its getting a lot better now except for little mode swings. She is not bleeding anymore and all those unknown cramps and whatnot are gone. I guess every contraceptive pill is not for everyone, if one does not suit you then try some other type. These reviews helps a lot, please keep sharing. "

Shallow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2013

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Before being on Jolessa, I had trouble with heavy menstrual cycles that were making me anemic. It took about two months on the pill before I stopped spotting. Now I hardly have a period even on the active pills. The only negative side effect of this medicine is that I've gained about twenty pounds."

Angie3 June 13, 2013

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was put on this medicine because my doctor found a uterine fibroid after I went in abnormal bleeding complications. I haven't done well on other birth control methods that caused life threatening reaction, so of course I was scared to find that my treatment option had to be birth control. So far my experience has been great. I had experience intensified nausea at the start, it subsided after the first week. I've completely lost my appetite and have to force myself to eat at least once a day. So in my first two weeks I lost seven pounds. No complaints there. I haven't had abnormal bleeding or cramps throughout my day so its appears to be doing what it is supposed to."

Good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2013

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "It's only been a month so I can't guarantee any of this is the pill, but I switched over from Yasmin. Since I have started this pill, I have been in a way better mood. I have started losing weight (5lbs so far). My complaints are that I am breaking out! On my face, back and chest. Right before my period started I got sick. I thought I ate something bad but then I got my period the next morning. I was one for very painful and nauseating periods so I hope this is just a first time occurrence because I really don't want to switch pills AGAIN!"

Anonymous September 10, 2012

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Caused severe mood swings and fatigue."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2012

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have not even made it a month on this medicine yet so it may be unfair for me to comment so quickly, but I will. I switched to this from Loestrin 24 (which completely stopped my cycle for 6 months). I've been on Aviane for about 2 weeks and I have had no weight gain - but that's the only positive so far. I have had high levels of unexplained anxiety, feel sick often and am having huge unpredictable mood swings. I have had 3 or 4 panic attacks since starting, which I have never experienced before - scary feeling. My doctor has told me to give it a few months to even out. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2012

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on this pill for a few weeks, and it has caused me to cry constantly! I feel depressed ALL THE TIME, and I have no appetite. So, this pill isn't for me."

Anonymous May 9, 2012

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am on my third and last package of LoSeasonique; it has been rough. During the first pack, I started spotting daily in week 5. This progressed to a full fledged cycle by week 9 and lasted for three weeks, so my doctor instructed me to skip to the yellow pills and then begin a new pack. During the second pack around week 5 the spotting started again. During week 8, I passed out. In week 10, I began having extremely heavy bleeding that proved impossible to contain resulting in two terrible accidents. Thank God I was home both times. After getting the next prescription and reading the pamphlet again, I discovered all of these experiences are considered severe side effects of the pills. "

Anonymous April 18, 2012