User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, Enpresse, ...show all 51 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel review summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by anthonyj (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on Orsythia for 6 months for controlling dysmenorrhea, or painful periods. Before starting birth control overall two years ago, I missed at least two days of school and work a month because my cramps, backache, nausea, and headaches prevented me from doing more than sitting in bed crying. After Orsythia, I barely get a period, it lasts four days and I rarely need to use anything more than a pantiliner. I get the occasional cramp, but nothing unmanageable. I love this pill!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2014 10:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): A new doctor switched me to this one from Beyaz. I had gotten migraines once every six months or so before I started birth control and on Yaz and Beyaz I had never had any real issues I was able to function with over the counter medicines for them. I just finished month number 3 today, during the first month I had 2 migraines with one that lasted two days and I had to go to the health center because I couldn't stand it any longer & got a shot for it. After that I went to my family doctor and was given migraine medication. I have had 8 migraines in the span of three months & have had to medicate with migraine medication instead of Motrin or Excedrine, add in extremely heavy period, cramps, and nausea and you can see why I'm switching back.

June 4, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by hammys.wifey:

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I started Jolessa in October 2013 right when my period started at the beginning of the month. Right away I was sick to my stomach several days & My periods normally last the full 7 days, but on this pill it never stopped. It went to a light period and gradually throughout the 3 months got heavier until I started the white pills-the period week, at the end of December. Once I started the new pack January 1st. The bleeding finally stopped until Febuary 1st, started the second month of pills and right away started bleeding again. It is now Febuary 12 & I went to the doctor yesterday she put me on a different birth control Low-Ogestrel 28 and we're hoping this stops my bleeding and works better for me.

February 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by Sandpie:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive.

January 22, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by abelel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): 2nd month. Weight gain, horrible acne, nausea, and SPOTTING EVERY DAY. Even started 2 full blown periods during this month and a half. Trying to stick with it, not sure.

December 20, 2013 3:08 AM

Review by EClass (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on Seasonique for over 6 months. I have had continuous spotting along with cramps for the last 16 days. My doctor informed me to skip the pills at the end of the pack so that I do not have any periods due to my periods being extremely painful. However, I hate the fact that I have been spotting for over 2 weeks. I started this birth control to treat endometriosis and to regulate my periods. Yet, spotting every day is not any better. I am looking into other options right now. I don't like bleeding all the time.

November 26, 2013 1:01 PM

Review by jen5309867:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been having a hell of a time finding the right b.c!! Major mood swings cramps nonstop bleeding no sex drive, but so far i like aviane im on my second month, i am no longer bleeding(first pack i did for awhile but my body had to adjust ) no moodswings normal sex drive,breasts a bit tender and larger (not mad about that) appetite a bit bigger but for me thats good I need the gain weight

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 8:55 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on birth control for 9 years for heavy/too frequent periods. For the first 6 years, Seasonique was amazing. However, especially within the past two years, I have had excessive spotting. For awhile, I was on the generic and just thought there was a difference between that and the name brand. Initially I had no problems, but I started a doctorate program and am sure the stress has a lot to do with it, but my spotting has started again. It'll happen any time I stress out or after having sex. I like not having my period for 3 months but now, im on my period more than a normal bc. Except it's worse. It comes unannounced and has ruined a number of undergarments.

October 23, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by SemiSweet:

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been taking LoSeasonique for a few years. I went on antibiotics (Zpack) for a ear infection. I have never once had any issues with this before now. I have been on my period for a month now, the bleeding won't stop. My doctor said go off the pill for a week and let your body rest and it should stop, if it doesn't then I have to go in for an ultrasound. I am freaking out. Its been that week and I am still on my period. Make sure you let your doctors know you are on that pill before they prescribe you any antibiotics.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by Shallow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): My wife was always getting abnormal, heavy periods with pain, went to many doctors everyone had their own views, been through many types of ultrasounds, physical exams, blood tests, but no use and no one was able to diagnose problem until she was prescribed to take birth control pill 'Alesse'. Had few problems with the side effects in the beginning and after the first cycle, but its getting a lot better now except for little mode swings. She is not bleeding anymore and all those unknown cramps and whatnot are gone. I guess every contraceptive pill is not for everyone, if one does not suit you then try some other type. These reviews helps a lot, please keep sharing.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 5:27 PM

Review by Angie3:

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): Before being on Jolessa, I had trouble with heavy menstrual cycles that were making me anemic. It took about two months on the pill before I stopped spotting. Now I hardly have a period even on the active pills. The only negative side effect of this medicine is that I've gained about twenty pounds.

June 13, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I was put on this medicine because my doctor found a uterine fibroid after I went in abnormal bleeding complications. I haven't done well on other birth control methods that caused life threatening reaction, so of course I was scared to find that my treatment option had to be birth control. So far my experience has been great. I had experience intensified nausea at the start, it subsided after the first week. I've completely lost my appetite and have to force myself to eat at least once a day. So in my first two weeks I lost seven pounds. No complaints there. I haven't had abnormal bleeding or cramps throughout my day so its appears to be doing what it is supposed to.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 8:09 AM

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): It's only been a month so I can't guarantee any of this is the pill, but I switched over from Yasmin. Since I have started this pill, I have been in a way better mood. I have started losing weight (5lbs so far). My complaints are that I am breaking out! On my face, back and chest. Right before my period started I got sick. I thought I ate something bad but then I got my period the next morning. I was one for very painful and nauseating periods so I hope this is just a first time occurrence because I really don't want to switch pills AGAIN!

September 10, 2012 8:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): Caused severe mood swings and fatigue.

July 13, 2012 4:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have not even made it a month on this medicine yet so it may be unfair for me to comment so quickly, but I will. I switched to this from Loestrin 24 (which completely stopped my cycle for 6 months). I've been on Aviane for about 2 weeks and I have had no weight gain - but that's the only positive so far. I have had high levels of unexplained anxiety, feel sick often and am having huge unpredictable mood swings. I have had 3 or 4 panic attacks since starting, which I have never experienced before - scary feeling. My doctor has told me to give it a few months to even out.

May 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on this pill for a few weeks, and it has caused me to cry constantly! I feel depressed ALL THE TIME, and I have no appetite. So, this pill isn't for me.

May 9, 2012 2:45 PM

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I am on my third and last package of LoSeasonique; it has been rough. During the first pack, I started spotting daily in week 5. This progressed to a full fledged cycle by week 9 and lasted for three weeks, so my doctor instructed me to skip to the yellow pills and then begin a new pack. During the second pack around week 5 the spotting started again. During week 8, I passed out. In week 10, I began having extremely heavy bleeding that proved impossible to contain resulting in two terrible accidents. Thank God I was home both times. After getting the next prescription and reading the pamphlet again, I discovered all of these experiences are considered severe side effects of the pills.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 7:54 PM

Review by tina93:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on Aviane for almost three months and I love it. I stared it because I was having weird on and off periods and my doctor suggested I start taking it. The first month I only had minor side effects which where very tender breast and cramping but it regulated my period and that's what I love about it so much! I admit that my breast has grown a cup size but I have not gained any weight or mood swings. The only thing that is persistent is my tender breast but my period is normal and Aviane is great!

March 1, 2012 10:07 AM

Review by Zapat:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I started taking this medicine in the beginning of Nov.2011, mainly to reduce my hormonal acne and to regulate my period. At the end of that same month, I got my period and surprisingly the cramps were not severe. In fact, I had never had such a peaceful period in a long time. Since then, my periods have been painless. :) Mid December, I noticed that the severity of my acne had diminished and my skin had started to clear. End of Jan. 2012, I got 5 painful cysts on my face. I was extremely upset, but I decided to be patient and stick with it. My patience paid off. It is end of February 2012 and my face looks way better. I haven't had any cysts since then. As for the side effects, just nausea when medicine is taken on an empty stomach. I LOVE IT.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 11:40 AM

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): My doctor recommended this pill to help balance my hormones and regulate my flow. I have been on the pill for a month and will not be taking it a second month. I had spotting everyday and became anemic.

February 7, 2012 10:51 PM

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): Since aged 12 I had cramps that would literally make me throw up, bleeding that was so heavy it took 10-12 super tampons a day, and prolonged periods of up to a month. This medication was a lifesaver. My period is now light, few cramps and very short. It helps with my problems. But of course there are some things I don't particularly like. My sex drive is absolutely zero (my boyfriend doesn't appreciate that) and I'm more emotional than ever. Random crying outbreaks happen, and the feeling of raging.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2012 6:15 AM

Review by kscar:

LoSeasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I was a little hesitant to try LoSeasonique due to all of the negative reviews, but thought it was worth a shot at no longer having a period every month, since I struggle with heavy periods for 11 days every month. I have just finished taking my first pack and never once experienced spotting during the three months on this pack. Nor did I have any changes in skin, weight or cramping. My sex drive even increased. Some factors that may have helped ease my body onto this pill so smoothly might relate to the fact that I took the pill at the same time everyday and have been on birth control for about nine years. Everyone's body reacts differently, so it may be worth taking the risk. I for one am very pleased with this pill.

December 13, 2011 11:21 PM

Seasonale (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I've been taking this birth control for over 2 years. It works great most of the time but once a year I have a period that's 2 weeks long. I'm going to my doctor soon to look at other options.

November 17, 2011 11:14 PM

Review by brytt92:

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on this pill for about a month and on my second week I am bloated, never hungry, have mood swings and don't want to get out of bed in the mornings. Also I started light bleeding like when you are coming off your period.

November 14, 2011 10:01 PM

Review by nicolejade:

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): Seasonique made my face break out, I had a lot of spotting and abdominal cramps. I was prescribed Seasonique to regulate my periods, and it did the exact OPPOSITE! Since day one of starting this product I have had to wear a pad because of the spotting.

September 25, 2011 11:33 AM