User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, ...show all 54 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Review Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 143 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started this in June 2015. My purpose is to help with perimenopause symptoms. 5 weeks were good no bleeding. Now I am bleeding for the next 5 weeks daily...with clots sometimes. Was trying for the hormone to alleviate cycle anxiety attacks. Still get those too like clockwork. Going to try an iud next. "

Kelleah August 29, 2015

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "second bc pill i've tried, first one had headaches and double vision since i've started Alesse i have had a swollen ankle and leg pain, so today was my last dose and off to my doctor again used to be on bc pills for years with no problems"

notforme August 15, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This has been such a sweet relief, I wish I stared sooner as soon as my periods were getting slowly heavier and horrible. After throwing up on my last period and getting anaemic - enough was ENOUGH and decided to speak to my doctor, after getting my script filled and examined ( I had nothing wrong internally) and got seasonique. Took about a month for my body to settle down. EXPECT some side effects, headache, tender breast and fluid retention until ur levels even out. U MUST Take the pill SAME time EVERYDAY!! I experienced one break through bleed, cause I was 8 hrs late in taking one and lasted a week. This is because the hormones last so long in the bloodstream and any slight dip triggers bleeding. goodluck in starting!! :)"

Rocky44 August 9, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking this medication on July 7, 2015 to try and regulate my periods and control my abnormal heavy uterine bleeding I had been experiencing. Everything was fine (minor nausea) the first 2 1/2 weeks and then I started bleeding on July 25, 2015. Just lightly the first 2 days and then it heavy. Today is August 6 (13 days and counting) and I still am bleeding heavy and cramping badly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have used 3 different birth control brands (yasmin, ortho tri cyclen and yaz) before trying out the generic of seasonqiue. It worked great for the first 2 months , then I had some light spotting that got heavier every day until it was heavier than any past menstrual cycle. I bled (regular to very heavy) and cramped everyday for the next 4 months. Even when starting a new pack, taking it at the same time, at night, with iron-nothing I did made this bleeding get lighter or go away until I stopped taking them. Then I got my period normally every month but its been far heavier than it has ever been in my life. Last month, my period came early and this month it came only 2 weeks after my last period. This RX has my body all out of whack."

Horrible side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on bc since I was 17. I first had nuvaring for 4 years and then I heard about seasonique and was excited about having only 4 periods a year the first month (January 2015) was perfect no spotting no weight gain no period. half way into February I started spotting and thought ok this may be normal after two days the spotting stopped... it returned four days later and I continued to spot up until the end of March when it was time for my period! I started a new pack and everything went smoothly no spotting until the week before my scheduled period. started a new pack in july and everything was ok. I started spotting really heavy on July 31st and my period isn't supposed to come until the END of September..should have stayed on nuvaring"

Jasmine12345 August 3, 2015

"my doctor prescribed me Levlen ED and I was told it was very safe to use, however even the first time I took it I was getting headaches and nausea about 3 hours after each time I took my tablet, it happened almost everyday until I stopped taking it, after 4 weeks of using this pill I became severely allergic, ended up in hospital with a horrible rash known as erythema multiforme, which is caused by an allergic reaction to medications (I was taking nothing else at the time and have no known allergies) I understand my case may be rare but I wouldn't want it happening to anyone else, I read the information booklet for Levlen and it does say it can cause the symptoms I had, worked well for my periods the time I was on it but too risky"

Ella tolson July 12, 2015

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on this birth control for a little over a year now. I originally started because my periods were so painful I would pass out and overall it was irregular. The first week I was nauseas and really really sick. I have also lost ALL sex drive and my boyfriend thinks I'm not attracted to him anymore. My skin became really sensitive so ever time I'm exposed to the sun for long amounts of time I will develop a rash. It also took my body some getting use to; lots of spotting the first fue months. Overall, I think this drug does it job, but the side effects are just too much for me."

Side effects magnet July 9, 2015

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am in my early 40's and have been dealing with severely heavy bleeding, fibroids, and endometriosis. I was prescribed sronyx after a myomectomy I went through in order to help control my bleeding. However it hasn't worked for me. It's been 7 months since my procedure and although I has lighter bleeding the first couple of months after the procedure, my symptoms have all resurfaced. I am having heavy bleeding once again with cramps, clots, and lasts for about 9 days. Perhaps I need to try another pill?"

Jessmarie4u June 24, 2015

Chateal (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started this 2 weeks ago when my period started. At first the cramps were crazy and random. The bleeding was heavy for the first 3 days but i was used to that with my normal period. After that everything is fine. I havent had any of the side effects everyone is talking about. The only thing i experience is hot flashes in the middle of the night. But those are better then having mood swings and everything else. I got the med to regulate my heavy periods and hormones and so far so good. i will let you know how next month goes"

spoiledinlv (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This has been a complete nightmare. I always have been sensitive to hormonal birth control methods, so that is why my doctor prescribed Alesse. First month was fine. I was constantly hungry and my boobs hurt, but it was manageable. Now, I barely finished the second pack and I have to stop because of my moods. I gained at least 5 pounds. I'm always hungry. My breasts hurt like anything. I had 2 weeks of breakthrough bleeding. The cherry on top of the cake : A yeast infection! Yay! So no more poison for me. Never again."

Anonymous June 17, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "On my second month. Just starting to get spotty (panty liner is enough) but nothing that isn't manageable. The first 2 weeks I had minor headaches and nausea but it went away. Very tender breasts, still. So far month one--no period. Yay. Great not to have a period but if the spotting gets worse (I think it may) that kind of defeats the whole purpose long term. I'm using this to stop periods while training for a half marathon. So for it's purpose for now, I'm fine. As far as sexual activity, it would be uncomfortable because the spotting is dark and slimy and weird. But that's not an issue now.... So pros and cons. But no period 3 months in a row (hopefully) , that's all right my me!"

HungryPanda1 June 6, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Seasonique since grade 10 of high school because my periods were very irregular. For the first year and a half it worked perfectly with no side effects whatsoever. But now every third month of the pack, I spot heavily the whole time. I have brought more liners and pads then I ever would have had to. I absolutely love having my period only 4 times a year but now its like I'm having a month long period every 3 months. I am considering switching to something else because I don't know if I can keep living with it. If anyone has an explanation for why this is happening please share it with me."

Confused and Annoyed (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Switched from deposit shot to seasonique after my sophomore year of college. My doctor said I would have one week of bleeding at the end of each pack. But for some reason I end up spotting heavily the WHOLE third month, with a heavier period during the "bleed week". I am very consistent with the time I take it and I don't miss a day. But yet I'm still stuck with a month long period. Not sure if I should switch bc methods because of this. The only reason I was sold on seasonique was because I was expecting one NORMAL period once ever 3 months."

notsurewhatsgoingon (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Going on 2 months now. I had 16 days of extremely heavy bleeding with heavy clotting. I have PCOS and would have some crazy abnormal period but never with severe cramping and clotting. I went through a regular tampon in 1 hour and about 45 overnight pads in that 16 days. My left breast is considerably more tender at all times and I have random spotting and cramps almost every day. I'll be calling my doc to tell her I'm going off of this pill. I won't make it to the third month. I'd rather use condoms (and I hate condoms)."

Stepb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I tried many things to stop heavy bleeding including an ablation. Nothing made my period less heavy, let alone stopped it. I started Seasonique 2 years ago and in the beginning I had irregular spotting for the duration of the first pack. After that I had very light periods every 3 months, with occasional spotting in between. I was happy with the results. Now, nearly 2 years later, in the second month of a pack I am on a 7 day and counting period, extremely heavy with a lot of clots. Guess this has decided to stop working too so it is back to my OBG again to try something else."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2015

Levlen (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My experience with contraceptives has been a rocky one. Levlen, so far, has been the only contraceptive I've tried that did not lead to constant black discharge. I've the implanon and several times have been prescribed slightly different pills, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to regular my discharge and periods, sometimes for months at a time. After taking Levlen for two days, my discharge would return to normal. It is definitely my preferred contraceptive method :)"

Sarahgrace75915 March 31, 2015

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Great experience so far while on this pill. First thing I noticed was my cramps had dulled down A LOT. When my period started, it was the lightest one I have EVER had! Completely manageable and lasted like 5 days (when my other ones while not on the pill were 6-7 days.) Hasn't lowered my sex drive (in fact it might have upped it now that I think about it), no acne problems, etc. And the great part is I get it for free!"

ThatOneGirlOverThere (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2015

CamreseLo (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am 24 years old and have been taking CamreseLo for approximately 2 and a half years. I love this pill; I have had no side effects. I have been on a birth control continuously since I was 12 because of an extremely heavy and irregular menstruation. After being on CamreseLo for a year, my flow became very minimal. Now after over 2 years, my period only lasts 1 day. It's amazing considering I have very minimal spotting in between the 3 months of active pills. It has also reduced my cramps; which used to be so bad I couldn't move."

Alligator90 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed Sronyx as a way to control the amount of blood I lose during my very heavy periods. I have been on it for about 5 months now and here is my experience with it. I feel very normal taking this pill. About Me: -Age: 24 -Weight: 105 -Ethnicity: Hispanic -Sexually Active -I eat healthy -Little to Moderate Exercise My Experience: -Period was lighter after 1st month and has continued to stay light. I used to bleed for 5-6 days heavily and get severe cramps. Now my periods are light and will last 3 days. I still get light cramps. -I have not gained weight. -Skin cleared up -No mood swings or depression. -Sex drive has not changed. -On occasions I will experience nausea after I eat. -I still PMS -NO 'breakthrough bleeding'"

And Rene (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2014

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on Orsythia for 6 months for controlling dysmenorrhea, or painful periods. Before starting birth control overall two years ago, I missed at least two days of school and work a month because my cramps, backache, nausea, and headaches prevented me from doing more than sitting in bed crying. After Orsythia, I barely get a period, it lasts four days and I rarely need to use anything more than a pantiliner. I get the occasional cramp, but nothing unmanageable. I love this pill!"

anthonyj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2014

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "A new doctor switched me to this one from Beyaz. I had gotten migraines once every six months or so before I started birth control and on Yaz and Beyaz I had never had any real issues I was able to function with over the counter medicines for them. I just finished month number 3 today, during the first month I had 2 migraines with one that lasted two days and I had to go to the health center because I couldn't stand it any longer & got a shot for it. After that I went to my family doctor and was given migraine medication. I have had 8 migraines in the span of three months & have had to medicate with migraine medication instead of Motrin or Excedrine, add in extremely heavy period, cramps, and nausea and you can see why I'm switching back."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started Jolessa in October 2013 right when my period started at the beginning of the month. Right away I was sick to my stomach several days & My periods normally last the full 7 days, but on this pill it never stopped. It went to a light period and gradually throughout the 3 months got heavier until I started the white pills-the period week, at the end of December. Once I started the new pack January 1st. The bleeding finally stopped until Febuary 1st, started the second month of pills and right away started bleeding again. It is now Febuary 12 & I went to the doctor yesterday she put me on a different birth control Low-Ogestrel 28 and we're hoping this stops my bleeding and works better for me."

hammys.wifey February 12, 2014

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive."

Sandpie January 22, 2014

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "2nd month. Weight gain, horrible acne, nausea, and SPOTTING EVERY DAY. Even started 2 full blown periods during this month and a half. Trying to stick with it, not sure."

abelel (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2013