User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Ashlyna, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Delyla, ...show all 56 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Sronyx (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I had a severe reaction to this medication. I will never recommend this to anyone!! Severe acne all over my face, neck, chest, & back. I gained 6 lbs in the first week, and then 3 more the next week. I had a headache that never went away."

MAS13 April 23, 2016

"I have anemia and my primary thought she would aid with the anemia be prescribing Camrese to shorten the amount of periods that I have. I thought that would be a Great idea since they, my periods, are a little heavy even with BC. Well the first pack was GREAT. The second pack started of good but by the middle I started spotting. I figured no big deal until I did not stop spotting. I saw my gyne after 2.5 weeks of spotting. She said oh this is your first round. Stick it out and it will be better next round. Well..... Its not! Its the exact same. I have bled more on this than on a monthly pill. I have officially stopped using this pill and I'm waiting for the breakthrough bleeding to end so that I can go back to a normal pill."

sleepless in chicago (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

"I first was prescribed this for my irregularly long painful periods, I would bleed for months without stopping. This first helped an enormous amount. I have been taking this for around 2 years and over this 2 years I have gained 30 lbs. Recently I have experienced random bleeding when any pressure is applied to my abdominal area. Although it works at stopping getting pregnant, you get what you want out of this bc it's not worth what comes with it."

Tariccg February 29, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Started spotting 3rd week starting seasonique generic camrese. Bleeding was very minimal spotting the first week. But I am now on my 9 th day and started passing clots. My periods before starting seasonique were at most 5-6 days long I've never in my life experience bleeding for so long. I started this bc in hopes of not having so many periods and since I was very irregular I wanted to control it. Only thing so far I've experienced is more bleeding!!! I'm getting married in 3 months what am I supposed to do if this bleeding doesn't stop?! Does anyone suggestions? Otherwise I'm thinking of just stopping altogether"

Notsohappy February 27, 2016

"I've been taking Camrese for almost 6 months and have had nothing but problems. I went on birth control because I had very irregular periods like sometimes a year apart. So I wanted to regulate them so I knew when they were coming. I never had a lot of acne before and ever since taking Camrese my skin has been terrible. Like no matter what I do it doesn't clear up. I'm bleeding all the time basically for the 3 months with a couple days off. I can't wait to finish this cycle and either get off birth control completely or switch to a new one because this has made me miserable. Plus the mood swings on it have been ridiculous as well."

Tayyyyylor February 10, 2016

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on this for I think four months now? Before taking it I had a weird issue where I had spotting that lasted for months. By my first week on Falmina, the weird spotting went away. However, I started bleeding a few days before my first round of placebos, and then my first period on the pills was absolute hell. I missed classes due to excruciating cramps and uncontrollable bleeding. I used both NyQuil and Tylenol but still rolled with pain for the better part of a week. Despite that, every month since has been absolutely lovely. Since starting Falmina, my libido has risen considerably, which is nice for both me and my partner. On top of that, the pills have fixed the issue that I originally took them for. A (except the bad period)"

Dirkie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

"I have received this pill back in November, I started bleeding on November 23 (about 2 weeks after starting it). I have been nonstop bleeding ever since. ALMOST 3 MONTHS. This is ridiculous. I take it at the same time everyday. It was prescribed to me to help me with my ovarian cyst and it caused even more pain than before. I am switching this pill ASAP, it is junk!"

LindseySurfield February 3, 2016

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I went from being a positive, upbeat, never cry type person. I'm stopping it today because I have been having suicidal thoughts, huge bouts of rage, self harming behavior, anxiety, extreme irritability and horrible feelings of being worthless. I have NEVER felt like that before until I took this for 8 months . DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG"

Samjk94 February 2, 2016

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I was prescribed this medication to slow down the rate of growth for my large fibriods and to reduce cramping. Here is how it has been thus far. Weeks 1-3: Very normal. no bleeding, no mood swings, no weight gain etc. Weeks 4-5: very small old blood spotting. One panty liner a day is all I needed. Weeks 6: mix of old blood and fresh blood. no cramps. Weeks 7-8: Heavy flow with very intense cramps. This is where I am currently at and I am not sure if I want to continue this medication. My cramps are more intense than when I was not on the medication. Not to mention, I've been bleeding fresh blood for three weeks straight. I want to stick it out in order to give a full analysis of this medication, but I am not sure it is worth it."

dipsets January 6, 2016

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been on this pill for 5 weeks. I started it the 3rd day of my period as my Dr instructed. It seemed to make my period go away! That was nice. I have consistently taken the pill every morning at approx the same time. I have not spotted at all. I have not been on any pill in at least 15 years. I'm 35 with heavy periods and cramps and taking it just for that. As my cycle is around 35 days I'm anxious to see if it shows up or if this pill is already working! I hope it's working because I've been a hormonal mess and my skin has been breaking out. Pros and cons are currently even."

Aos (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "My periods have been getting very heavy as I've been getting older (just turned 40). I was told to start the pack on The Sunday I started my period, so was on my 3rd day. Every day since then I've been bleeding various amounts, and some days have had mild cramps. Hoping by the second trial pack this stops. 1 week of heavy period is better than everyday of the month bleeding. My libido is lower, but not sure if that's the medicine or the fact I'm bleeding daily :("

Snowball999 (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I took Quasense as prescribed for less than 2 months. I had a life threatening Pulmonary Embolism. Almost all tests are complete and all specialists say it is caused by the birth control. Please be careful if you are taking hormonal birth control, please ask your Doctor to do a clot risk assessment on you and KNOW THE SYMPTOMS of DVT/PE. I went to the ER with chest pain, cough and shortness of breath. I was told if I had not gone I would be dead. Just be careful. Estrogen can increase your risk of blood clots. Know the risks, know the symptoms."

Starfish81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

"I didn't go on this pill as a birth control method. I needed something to regulate my very very heavy painful menstrual period. However I feel like seasonique is making me crazy. I cry all the time for no reason. My boyfriend rolled his eyes at me because I wouldn't look at a bug he found and I cried. A girl got voted off the tv show cupcake wars that I liked, and yes there I am sobbing like crazy. Little things like that have made me so emotional and depressed. I'm on the first month so I am going to continue my 3 month pack but I rather bleed heavy with cramps then feel like I am crazy."

Ceciliap December 3, 2015

"I'm truly convinced if I continued this medication, it would have killed me. I suffered from horrible headaches everyday taking the pill, I was not myself with bad mood swings, and had episodes of fainting while taking this. I also had clear skin prior to starting this pill and broke out with cystic acne all over my body that resulted in expensive treatments from the dermatologist to correct. I would not recommend to anyone, even though everyone reacts differently, this was the worst experience I have had."

BA2015 December 2, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on the pill for a little over a month and I'm stopping. I'm extremely anemic and I asked my doc for this to help with my periods. They were getting increasingly heavy and painful and making my anemia worse. I started taking the generic of this pill and in 1 month gained 10 pounds. Then I started spotting and got a full blown period month 1. This period is heavier than normal and has zapped me of all my energy. It has lasted 7 days of constant normal to heavy bleeding that doesn't seem like its going to stop. The blood is still fresh bright red so it doesn't looking like its stopping soon. Also this week of bleeding has made me extremely emotional. I almost quit my job! I feel very angry, irritated, annoyed, depressed."

Royalq October 31, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I am on my 2nd pack on my third month of pills. I have been on the generic brand of seasonique called Ashlyna starting on my 6 months. the first month as soon as I started I thought it was going to be awesome. by the second month I started bleeding and bled like a heavy period for a little over 3 weeks. called my doctor she said that my body just had to get used to it. the third month just fine and the 4th month as well. The fifth month I started spotting here and there but nothing serious.Now I am starting on my 6 month and on the last pack and I have been spotting since October 6 and just got a heavy period today and I am not due for a period till 3 more weeks. I am going to wait it out and see what happens. good luck everyone."

Shelly3215 October 30, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "This BC was great for the first pack then I started bleeding non stop heavy. Bleeding stopped as soon as I quit taking it!! Never again!!!"

Fedup23 October 21, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I've been on this medicine for a little over two years. I started taking it to help with my acne. That's the one thing that's been consistent about it. When I started it in 2013, I bled for a month which was normal and then I stopped. It worked really well (only one period every three months) for about a year. Then my pharmacy gave me generic which screwed everything up. I broke out, bled heavily, and my hormones went crazy. After two weeks on generic I was forced to pay the fee to get the name brand back. Since then it hasn't been the same. My obgyn says it is because my body is immune to it. I start bleeding two weeks into the pack, spot all the way until my period, and then the process starts all over again. I have gained 20 pounds..."

Quinn12345678 October 15, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I have been in this medication for almost 5 years. My Dr gave it to me because the bleeding I had after having my son was so bad that it made me weak. His wife was on this medication and talked to me about it. I have seen information about it for many years and thought I would try it. I was lucky enough to have a Dr tell me that I can take the pill continually for the whole time and when it was time to take the yellow pills to go ahead and take the first pill of the new pack. After having my son I have always been a "bigger girl" and just this past summer I have started to lose weight. Yes I had spotting but that was due to me losing 4 inches in my belly."

Azmomma (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 14, 2015

"I am 25 and have never been on any kind of birth control prior to this year. After experiencing debilitating period cramps and having horrible acne breakouts on my forehead and cheeks, I decided to see my doctor about going on the pill. I was prescribed Alesse as I was told by my GP that it has been known to help with hormonal acne and help with reducing the severity of period cramps. I have used 1 pack so far and had my first period while using the pill about a week ago -- I experienced no painful cramping and my acne is slowly starting to subside. I have had no side-effects using this pill. I am hoping the positive changes continue!"

Victoriaaa25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

Jolessa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "Since being put on jolessa by my gyno about a year ago I have experienced mood swings, increased appetite, excessive weight gain, and most of all, extreme fatigue. No matter how much sleep or rest I get I am ALWAYS tired. I actually only feel well rested and energized when I'm on my period (which makes no sense!) Needless to say I won't be using this birth control much longer. The only good thing that has came out of my experience with jolessa is lighter periods. My horrible cramping is still the same though. Heavy periods and horrible cramping is the reason my gyno put me on this birth control! VERY disappointed."

TJ96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started taking the generic of Seasonique on August 16th. It is now October 11th and I have not stopped bleeding. It's the equivalent of a moderate period. I am trying to wait it out and take it through the end of the first pack to see if the bleeding subsides, but I still have another 5 weeks and I'm not sure it's worth it."

Care16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2015

"I have been on this pill for 2 months. The first month was ok. I didn't feel any different beside slight water gain. My first period did not come until the 4th day on the placebo pill. The 2nd month I had nipple tenderness every single day, which sucks because it hurts when I work out. My period did not come until the 3rd day on the placebo pill. I would say it is a good contraceptive besides the nipple tenderness. I had no other side effects. I am most likely switching to a different contraceptive due to the nipple tenderness."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I started the generic of seasonique about 5 months ago the first three months were great got my period when I was suppose was light didn't last long. Then about 2 months into my next pack I started bleeding again and it lasted until the end of that pack. Once I started the new pack that I am on now it stopped. I'm only a week in and I'm bleeding again. I have a daily alarm on my phone so that I take it at the same time everyday."

EN1219 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2015

Seasonique (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): "I say do not buy this birth control. I started taking this to control my abnormal periods. After the first month being fine I started to bleed in the middle of the pack. This was around July... It is now September and I am still currently bleeding. I will never use this product again, save yourself the money and trouble."

Anonymous 4 September 12, 2015