User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Also known as: Alesse, Alesse-21, Alesse-28, Altavera, Amethia, Amethia Lo, Amethyst, Aubra, Aviane, Camrese, CamreseLo, Chateal, Daysee, Enpresse, Falmina, Introvale, Jolessa, Kurvelo, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levonest, Levora, LoSeasonique, Lutera, Lybrel, Marlissa, Min-Ovral 21, Min-Ovral 28, Myzilra, Nordette, Nordette-21, Nordette-28, Orsythia, Portia, Preven EC, Quartette, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Triphasil-21, Triphasil-28, Triquilar 21, Triquilar 28, Trivora, Trivora-28

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel.

Endometriosis 49 reviews 175 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel reviews 929 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/levonorgestrel

Review by Hnc103 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Overall, Aviane works pretty well. My periods are average and I have had no weight loss or gain. The one side effect I have had is terrible acne! My face was pretty much clear when I started (I'd get minor breakouts around my period, but nothing bad). Within a couple of months of being on Aviane, my cheeks started breaking out really badly. I've never even had acne on my cheeks. It's painful and there's scarring. I've tried staying on it in hopes that my body would adjust and the breakouts would stop, but they've only gotten worse.

April 13, 2014 8:06 PM
Review by CarissaC: User Rating:

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I began Levora to help control my migraines that are caused by a significant drop in estrogen on or right before my period. Although they worked for the migraines, I started to notice symptoms like extreme moodiness, crying, frustration, etc within the first month but figured my body was just getting used to it since this is the first birth control I've been on. Three months later it got worse and I also had problems with water weight, a huge increase in acne, and terrible dry spots all over my face. The emotions got so bad it was affecting my relationship so I had to stop.

April 13, 2014 7:23 PM
Review by DaniJoe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been taking this pill for 5 months and I have noticed HUGE mood swings, feel depressed but I have lost weight. I have just started unprotected sex and it scares me, but my doctor told me it is what birth control is for so you are fine! I feel nauseous constantly though. I just got put on a higher dose as well but other than that I like this birth control!

April 12, 2014 9:44 AM
Review by Meep123r8r555555: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been taking birth control for about a year now and my doctor just switched me on to Lutera from Aviane. I've been on it for 2 months now and though it's effective, I have to say it makes me a little nauseous at the start of a new pack and I've gained like 10 lbs. Acne is a teeny bit worse but I'm also using a new soap so that may or may not be it. My breasts have gotten fuller but when I PMS they HURT. I guess these are normal for a birth control in general though.

April 4, 2014 10:11 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've just completed my first week on Orsythia. Being that I had to start it during my period, I noticed a change in my cycle immediately. I'm usually a 3/4 day-er. I am now on my 7th day with no sign of let-up. That's a bummer. From what I've gathered from friends/family, it's just my body getting used to the hormones. But when is it going to end? No cramps, no mood swings, no headaches, and FREE! I guess, so far, so good. Just ready to be off my period!

April 4, 2014 6:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I started on Alesse when I was 15 and it was the first birth control pill I had ever used. The first night I got awful headaches, and they carried on for the rest of the week. After that, I became very moody and just about anything could make me cry. Honestly that was the worst part, I've never been more moody and sad in my life. After about four months I began getting two periods a month, and I finally got fed up and switched pills.

March 31, 2014 11:53 PM
Review by C-J-W: User Rating:

Portia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about a little over a year and a half, I have had a very good experience so far, I never got headaches, pain or any of those things. It cleared my skin pretty well but after a while it stopped but I never broke out crazily my breasts grew a little and I still PMS and get minor cramps but my period is still heavy but shorter by 4 days so I'm not going to complain! I hope this birth control will continue to work for me just as well as the months go on.

March 31, 2014 10:23 PM
Review by dont let the reviews scare you (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I was so scared to start this pill because of all the negative reviews, so glad I started anyways! I had been on the Mirena for 5 years and didn't want another so my Dr prescribed me these. First, they were free under my insurance. I have not gained ANY weight and have had zero side effects! Other then making sure to remember to take them, it has been a painless transition. Don't be scared of the bad reviews, what works for some may not work for others! These have been great!

March 29, 2014 5:02 PM
Review by SammieB1221 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on this birth control regularly for almost a year now. I am very sensitive to the hormones and experienced extreme sickness I mean to the point I was throwing up every morning and on the verge of passing out no matter what I tried to prevent it. I learned that taking it in the morning solved this problem. Negative side affects are that I have a huge appetite (thankfully a high metabolism) constant headaches, worse PMS, no motivation, tiredness, irrational mood swings, and last week I noticed breakthrough bleeding and cramps halfway through the pack. But all in all my periods are short and I'm not pregnant yet! Remember every woman is different.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2014 1:24 AM
Review by litho: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: My daughter took Lutera for two years. It took two months but it definitely helped with her acne. She was very happy. Fast forward two years later and now we are not sure what is going on but the old acne is coming back. Time to find a new birth control.

March 21, 2014 11:17 PM
Review by jas20: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: This is the first type of birth control that I have been on and it has worked out great. I have been on Lutera for 9 months now and will be going back have my doctor refill the prescription. The first month I experienced some mild headaches and irregular bleeding, nothing serious. My breasts have gotten a little larger, my period shorter and lighter. All is good so far!

March 21, 2014 10:02 PM
Review by sparkle09: User Rating:

Quasense (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on this for 6 months and only have one issue with it. I gained 10 pounds after being on it for 1-2 months, but have been able to get that 10 down to 5. But no matter how healthy I eat or how much I exercise, I cannot lose that extra 5. Other than that, I have had no issues. It has not affected my mood or sex drive, and I haven't had any headaches or anything like others have mentioned. It actually cleared up acne on my chin so I have a clear face now that the dermatologist couldn't even clear up because chin acne is usually all hormonal. From what I've heard, if you had an abnormal (whether it be painful or irregular) period before trying this, you should NOT take it or it will affect you. I had a very regular period before.

March 20, 2014 2:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on Aviane for about 3 weeks and the longer I've been taking it the less I notice certain side effects. The very first week was Hell. I had the worst mood swings of my life. I was contemplating switching but held on and powered through and now I haven't experienced them! The one thing that I complain about now is that my breasts are VERY tender and I've been a little bit more sleepy

March 17, 2014 4:42 PM
Review by laura7231994: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I was on Lutera for 9 months. It was great. The only side effects i experienced were my acne clearing up and my breasts increasing a cup size. I am extremely active in my sex life and I didn't get pregnant; I trust this pill a lot. But for my last two periods I started spotting for the whole third week of pills and then having a very heavy period, so my doctor is putting me on a higher dose of a similar medicine, I'm just hoping it is exactly the same but with a normal period. Other than that I would highly recommend this birth control.

March 17, 2014 1:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am on my last week on my second pack. I only have one of the pink pills left. I had my period a week early last month. And this month I haven't started at all. I'm really worried. I'm waiting it out. Other than this I have had no problem.

March 14, 2014 10:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Been on it for three weeks. I'm loving it. It makes me drowsy, my appetite has changes a bit and I was a little moody but its great. I have even lost weight. My sex drive is way higher than it was before taking this pill.

March 12, 2014 11:17 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: At first I hated this pill but had a 3 month supply. In the first 2 months I had spotting all the time, crazy mood swings, intense cravings and cramps around PMS time and was loosing a dramatic amount of hair. On the bright side my acne was non existent and I noticed weight loss. By the 3rd month I feel most symptoms cleared.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 8:21 PM
Review by Blyr: User Rating:

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Endometriosis: I've been on this for almost 5 years and I love it, in the last two years I've actually lost weight, my skin which used to be horrible with acne is nice and clear. The first few months were kind of rough, as it is when starting any birth control. The only downfall would be how sensitive my breasts can get when it's cold. Almost painful at times, but it's definitely eased over the years.

February 28, 2014 2:40 AM
Review by Happy user (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about 3 weeks. I think it's working, not pregnant yet. It has made my breast a little tender, but no size increase. I started to break out on my face, no cramping, dryness around the vagina, no sex drive at all.

February 28, 2014 1:51 AM
Review by ALYYY: User Rating:

Alesse-28 (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Alesse-28 was the first oral contraceptive I've taken. I usually have a very heavy flow and my period would be a full week and would never come at the same time every month, but since I started to take Alesse-28, my period has become VERY regulated and my flow is light and lasts usually around 3-4 days only. The best thing I would say is that I don't get cramps anymore. Before taking the pill, I'd be pretty much bedridden. I get only a very slight pain now, but it's barely noticeable! It also helped with my acne! I had a lack of appetite when I started the pill and I lost 7lbs in one month. The worst parts were the nausea, major mood swings, slight depression (cried every night), anxiety, and the lack of motivation in everything.

February 27, 2014 10:26 PM
Review by Asdfgj (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Levora (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been on Levora for a month and a half. The first couple weeks I was super emotional and wanted to quit, but the emotions have gone away. I've gained maybe two pounds and my acne has mostly gone away. I've also noticed a decrease in facial hair.

February 26, 2014 9:43 PM
Review by lalalindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Orsythia (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: This pill has been pretty close to perfect. No weight gain, no depression, and my periods are much lighter and shorter. During the first few months my acne got really bad and I almost got off the pill, but then it went away around month 3 and my skin is pretty clear. I think this was just a bodily reaction to the change in hormones. The only negative is that this pill does make me drowsier than I used to be but I can manage. And plus I'm not pregnant, so I guess it's doing its job pretty well.

February 24, 2014 10:13 PM
Review by Sw19st45: User Rating:

Falmina (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been on Falmina birth control for about 8 months now and I love it. I have not got pregnant, and my cycles are much lighter, less cramps and shorter. My acne has cleared! I would most definitely recommend this birth control, only negative things I find annoying at times is breast tenderness.

February 23, 2014 12:19 AM
Review by Anonymous8761: User Rating:

Aviane (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: 24y/o with some symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome/mild depression. Recently started back on Aviane after 4 months of taking it to regulate my hormones. PROS: more optimistic, fewer mood swings, reduced symptoms of PCOS/irregular periods, clearer skin. When I was off it, my cycles had reset and normalized. CONS: longer periods, migraines when on placebo. Active pills are great though, no complaints. Still use a condom for extra insurance.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2014 3:23 PM
Review by Kelly O: User Rating:

Lutera (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been taking Lutera for 7 months now. The first 3 months I hard horrible, painful bloating every time I ate anything. That has subsided, but I have gained a lot of weight, my hair and finger nails are growing rapidly, but are very brittle, my acne has gotten worse, my breasts are larger and more tender, and I get frequent headaches. I have been on several other birth control pills and they all gave me insane mood swings. I don't seem to have that problem with this pill.

February 19, 2014 11:48 PM