User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 322 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Had RA for 4 yrs after birth of my baby. I spent 2 years on various meds which did nothing for the pain Then put on Humira which worked wonders for nearly 2 years then started getting flare ups again so they put me on Enbrel 1st injection fine 2nd got small injection site reaction 3Rd injection got massive reaction at injection site & laryngitis Dr diagnosed cellulitis but after reading that laryngitis can be a symptom of allergic reaction I'm leaning towards an allergic reaction and am currently waiting a reply from my rheumatology team!"

The mad hatter (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I've been on enbrel for about 2 years now. I can't go out in the sun because of the rash i get all over my chest and back ( side effect of enbrel) I never had any eye problems until I started using enbrel, now I need new glasses about every 6 months ( side effect of enbrel) . Do the benefits outweigh the side effects? In my case no! I'm done with enbrel."

RA patient 12345 July 17, 2015

"I realize my review may be very premature, but I wanted to offer some insight from someone who just started taking Enbrel. My first shot was 3 days ago and I already feel like a new woman. In fact, there was a remarkable difference the next morning - less than 12 hours after my first shot! I have had RA for over 15 years; diagnosed at age 16. I have been on methotrexate, leflunomide, and even vioxx back when that was still on the market. Nothing provided the relief I needed, but I was terrified to go on a biologic drug because of all the possible side effects. I finally bit the bullet and started Enbrel because the pain was unbearable and caused terrible depression and even thoughts of suicide. At least for now, Enbrel is a God-send!"

Nicole MO June 20, 2015

"My husband has RA. His doctor sent him to the Indiana Heart Clinic to ensure he had no heart issues before they put him on it. In November 2012 Dr Daly released Tony saying he had NO heart issues so he started Emprel. In January 2013 Tony had a sizable aneurism on his aorta so he underwent heart surgery. In April due to infections he had a 14 Hour surgery to redo all he had done in January. He died on Mothers Day may 12, 2013 of infection. I'm saying that he had a good heart yet two month s after taking Emprel he doesn't. What are the odds? I would not recommend it. Just in case."

MLAdolay14 May 31, 2015

"I was on steroid medication for almost a year, having tapering doses in between. My teeth enamel got disrupted due to side effects of steroid and my haemoglobin count decreased to 8gm%/dL.. After I ceased steroids, I became completely bed-ridden as all my joints were invloved excluding spine, not even able to move for a side change. My rheumatologist suggested Enbrel, and a single dose of Enbrel changed my entire life.. Infact I got a new birth! Now my four doses are done and I am as good as I was before this rheumatoid disorder. Very happy to have Enbrel. I would thank the inventor of Enbrel. Thank You !"

Shilpa M April 7, 2015

"I've been on enbrel with other meds then finally with metrotexato since I was about 19 years old. The other meds I took were strong (harsh). So before I start, the absolute first credit in recovery goes to God. Now about the med, Enbrel, It really has helped me out in living a normal life (just add exercise)... Big difference from not being able to get up to being able to run again. Yet lately each time an injection has been made on my upper left arm, it feels odd. I feel as if the fluid is running into my veins going towards my rib cage. One time it felt as if it was going directly to my heart. Later it would feel warm in those areas, but giving it a few minutes later it would feel cool, oddly fresh. I would like to know if others have had similar symptoms."

Age: 25 March 29, 2015

"Just had my first injection yesterday. I felt better right away. I was really surprise at the fast response!"

Anonymous February 11, 2015

"Enbrel has worked well for me for about 4 years and it has been covered partly by my husband's former employer and Pfizer. It seems, however, that when I turn 65, it will barely be covered on Medicare and supplemental insurance due to Congress approving a renewal of the patent on Enbrel. Also, due to Medicare being a government program, it won't be covered. "

out of luck when I'm old November 15, 2014

"Have had rheumatoid arthritis for 5 years. Taking methotrexate for the whole time. It quit working as well. Just went on Enbrel 12 weeks ago, now have right arm swelling, pitting edema, trying to figure out what it is. I am 47 and shouldn't have any extremity swelling. Have never had any swelling of arms or legs. It is not DVT had ultrasound to rule that out. Common sense would say Enbrel triggered something. Hope it resolves and isn't anything serious."

shadbro (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2014

"I am so lucky I live in Denmark where it is free to get all kinds of medicines. Enbrel has been working quite well actually for the past 2.5 year, but recently my doctor recommend me to get out of it, and I started by pushing it with 3 days, and the 3 days made my knees swell up. Now I am back with the 7 days interval, but it wont really help as much as before. So, I guess it was too soon to get out of using it."

Asi (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2014

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Feb. 2012 and started Enbrel the following September. I insisted on a biologic, as the methotrexate wasn't doing any good. I'm on 25mg twice weekly. I still have pain, my knees and left hip are the problem areas for me. I'm able to work, but still have to rest (ha ha! ) when I'm off. I would recommend Enbrel, the side effects have been minimal, compared to some of the other treatments."

still kicking (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2014

"On it 9 weeks. Helps the rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm going bald very fast. Eliminated other DMARDs to confirm it is in fact the Enbrel. I can not lose all my hair, so I'm quitting it. It began falling out in clumps within the first week of shot #1. Too bad. Got the Enbrel card and it covered the cost."

no nick name (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2014

"Pain started 2005, diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis 2010. Cannot tolerate methotrexate, sulfa medicines and prednisone has severe negative psychological side effects. New Dr. in 2012 prescribed Enbrel. Took about 2 weeks to really kick on and then worked beautifully until recently. Now am having flares, swelling in AM, by mid week it wears off and I am hurting badly. At this point I am getting 2-3 good days out of 7 but I will continue as long as possible 2-3 out of 7 is better than 0-7. I miss when it worked all week. When Enbrel works it is awesome. I have used the Pfizer relief program and only pay $10 out of pocket. Without that it would have been too expensive even with our good insurance."

Bette64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2014

"Have been on Enbrel for 1 year and 3 methotrexate. Weekly 50mg injections. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 15 years now and am 51 now. The Enbrel injections can be painful but I remove injection from fridge and wait 30 minutes before injecting. This helps with the pain when injecting the Enbrel. I have had headaches but the benefit is worth the side effects. I have my life back and am able to work and enjoy life. Life before Enbrel I was not active and missed work often. Hope this continues to work."

Ken K April 21, 2014

"I have had RA for 50 years (since 16 years old), and have been on gold injections, plaquenil, methotrexate, and now Enbrel with methotrexate. I have had multiple joint deformities, nodules and joint replacements. Each med helped at first, but then failed, except for Enbrel. Thank God for Enbrel! I have been on it for 10 years and it has allowed me to work full time, something I had previously never been able to do. I also work out at the gym every day, and am enjoying life!"

SQSunshine (taken for 10 years or more) March 29, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Limited improvement after 6 months, developed bad rash and MD refused to continue medication."

Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2014

"I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 3 years. First on Methotrexate with Prednisone: got off the prednisone and went into remission after 8 months on methotrexate. Had a flare a year ago and have been fighting it ever since. I took Leflunomide, then Xeljanz and neither one worked and I was having to take 40mg of Prednisone just to handle the pain. Am now on Enbrel with prednisone; started out at 40-mg of prednisone and am now down to 10mg after 5 weeks. I am having a lot of rheumatoid arthritis nodules that started appearing during the flare, but so far since Enbrel there hasn't been any new growths appearing. Nodules are causing more pain (probably due to pressure on nerves) in my wrists then the rheumatoid arthritis in my finger joints. Hoping the Enbrel will improve my rheumatoid arthritis joint pain in my hands over time."

Vicki in Michigan (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2014

"Amazing. First one I used lasted for the longest time frame. Only thing was the shots were annoying. After the Enbrel, each one I used or tried I had an allergic reaction to. About 6 different ones I finally gave into the prospect of having a premed to help accept the medication. Currently on Actemra with premed of Solumedrol. Helped for about 10 months the medicine was increased to maximum dose. 1st down and praying for continuing relief. I hope this helps. As each medication change the SULPHASALAZINE and methotrexate has always remained as a stable medicine treatment in my plan with only one exception."

HaveitURway (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 21, 2014

"Was on Methotrexate and Mobic with no relief for 5 years. Took Enbrel and had a life again. Began golfing and bowling again. That suddenly stopped about 8 months ago the fatigue is unbearable and now the swelling and pain is back."

Sharon-22 February 11, 2014

"Severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) flare presented in 2006 after a traumatic wrist injury/surgery. Enbrel did not work for 6 months and then mostly worked. Until the end of 3 yrs. Developed Polymyositis in addition to RA. Creates total weakness in the large muscle groups, balance problems, and of course depression. Taking about 20 different medicines, including steroids afterwards. No significant relief except when on steroids greater than 20mg per day. High dose of steroids for past 2 years. Just tried Rituxin infusion therapy. First drip went fine. 2nd infusion caused an allergic reaction. Back to square 1."

Texas_Carrie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2014

"Started Enbrel 6 weeks ago and after 2 years of constant pain despite taking a variety of drugs - this week I can actually walk for at least a short distance without crippling pain. The remaining discomfort I think is due to lack of strength from years of forced inactivity which is going to take time to build up but oh - the joy of no pain! So far no side effects and hopefully I can regain my life again."

Vicki Australia October 28, 2013

"I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 31 years. During this time, I went through all the medicines given me. They might work somewhat for a few weeks, but then would fail or the side effects were too severe. I have been on "gold" injections (5 years) and Metotroxite, and Predisone for another 5 or 6 years. Eight years ago, I went on Humira for a few months. It was helpful only for a few days and then the rest of the week was too painful. I then switched to Enbrel, at first 25 mg twice a week, and now 50 mg once a week. It has been wonderful - I still have joint soreness if I over-do, and need to take a muscle relaxer at night, but I am so much better. I worry that it may start to be less effective, but so far, I'm loving it"

carl2son October 22, 2013

"took Enbrel for 3 years and it took the joint pain away but did not take swelling bags away in wrist, switched to orencia and joint pain came back so once again went back to Enbrel with no joint pain but will have to live with the swelling in wrist, also a big difference in needle pain with Enbrel verses orencia, the orencia needle was nice and sharp with no pain, the Enbrel needles seem to be dull and needs to be sharper like the orencia needles, but at least there's no longer any joint pain, thankful for that."

Bill , Illinois (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

"I am 57 years old. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 3 years ago. During the past 3 years I have taken a variety of medications. I was unable to tolerate Methotrexate. Presently, I take 400 mg of Plaquenil daily, Protonix once daily, and 800-1600 mg of ibuprofen daily. My rheumatologist also prescribes Prednisone tapers for flares. I've been using the Enbrel Autoinjector 50 mg once per week for about 8 weeks. Sadly, I have not experienced any relief of arthritis symptoms. Thankfully, no serious side effects either so I plan to continue with Enbrel for a few more weeks. I'm wondering how long I should wait before giving up."

mom of many October 7, 2013

"I started getting sick in August of 2008. After numerous trips to ER's, Dr.'s offices and hospitalizations, I finally got diagnosed with full skeletal rheumatoid arthritis. With it came Fibromyalgia, anemia, insomnia, depression and medicine induced diabetes. Was put on Humira for 2 years with continues Flare ups. Finally was put on Enbrel about 5 months ago and I just now am experiencing less pain and less swelling. I can even jump off the bed first thing in the morning, specially when my dog asked to be taken out. I'm only on 5mg of prednisone now, Enbrel once a week and few intakes of pain meds and muscle relaxants. I'm not sure how long will it work for me but I am thankful for the availability of the medicine and my having good insurance."

Maria Rose, Fl. October 3, 2013