User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 342 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Review by Asi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am so lucky I live in Denmark where it is free to get all kinds of medicines. Enbrel has been working quite well actually for the past 2.5 year, but recently my doctor recommend me to get out of it, and I started by pushing it with 3 days, and the 3 days made my knees swell up. Now I am back with the 7 days interval, but it wont really help as much as before. So, I guess it was too soon to get out of using it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by still kicking (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in Feb. 2012 and started Enbrel the following September. I insisted on a biologic, as the methotrexate wasn't doing any good. I'm on 25mg twice weekly. I still have pain, my knees and left hip are the problem areas for me. I'm able to work, but still have to rest (ha ha! ) when I'm off. I would recommend Enbrel, the side effects have been minimal, compared to some of the other treatments.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by no nick name (taken for 1 to 6 months):

On it 9 weeks. Helps the rheumatoid arthritis, but I'm going bald very fast. Eliminated other DMARDs to confirm it is in fact the Enbrel. I can not lose all my hair, so I'm quitting it. It began falling out in clumps within the first week of shot #1. Too bad. Got the Enbrel card and it covered the cost.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 10:25 AM

Review by Bette64 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pain started 2005, diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis 2010. Cannot tolerate methotrexate, sulfa medicines and prednisone has severe negative psychological side effects. New Dr. in 2012 prescribed Enbrel. Took about 2 weeks to really kick on and then worked beautifully until recently. Now am having flares, swelling in AM, by mid week it wears off and I am hurting badly. At this point I am getting 2-3 good days out of 7 but I will continue as long as possible 2-3 out of 7 is better than 0-7. I miss when it worked all week. When Enbrel works it is awesome. I have used the Pfizer relief program and only pay $10 out of pocket. Without that it would have been too expensive even with our good insurance.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 7:07 AM

Review by Ken K:

Have been on Enbrel for 1 year and 3 methotrexate. Weekly 50mg injections. I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 15 years now and am 51 now. The Enbrel injections can be painful but I remove injection from fridge and wait 30 minutes before injecting. This helps with the pain when injecting the Enbrel. I have had headaches but the benefit is worth the side effects. I have my life back and am able to work and enjoy life. Life before Enbrel I was not active and missed work often. Hope this continues to work.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by SQSunshine (taken for 10 years or more):

I have had RA for 50 years (since 16 years old), and have been on gold injections, plaquenil, methotrexate, and now Enbrel with methotrexate. I have had multiple joint deformities, nodules and joint replacements. Each med helped at first, but then failed, except for Enbrel. Thank God for Enbrel! I have been on it for 10 years and it has allowed me to work full time, something I had previously never been able to do. I also work out at the gym every day, and am enjoying life!

March 29, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Limited improvement after 6 months, developed bad rash and MD refused to continue medication.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Vicki in Michigan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 3 years. First on Methotrexate with Prednisone: got off the prednisone and went into remission after 8 months on methotrexate. Had a flare a year ago and have been fighting it ever since. I took Leflunomide, then Xeljanz and neither one worked and I was having to take 40mg of Prednisone just to handle the pain. Am now on Enbrel with prednisone; started out at 40-mg of prednisone and am now down to 10mg after 5 weeks. I am having a lot of rheumatoid arthritis nodules that started appearing during the flare, but so far since Enbrel there hasn't been any new growths appearing. Nodules are causing more pain (probably due to pressure on nerves) in my wrists then the rheumatoid arthritis in my finger joints. Hoping the Enbrel will improve my rheumatoid arthritis joint pain in my hands over time.

March 11, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by HaveitURway (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Amazing. First one I used lasted for the longest time frame. Only thing was the shots were annoying. After the Enbrel, each one I used or tried I had an allergic reaction to. About 6 different ones I finally gave into the prospect of having a premed to help accept the medication. Currently on Actemra with premed of Solumedrol. Helped for about 10 months the medicine was increased to maximum dose. 1st down and praying for continuing relief. I hope this helps. As each medication change the SULPHASALAZINE and methotrexate has always remained as a stable medicine treatment in my plan with only one exception.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2014 3:23 AM

Review by Sharon-22:

Was on Methotrexate and Mobic with no relief for 5 years. Took Enbrel and had a life again. Began golfing and bowling again. That suddenly stopped about 8 months ago the fatigue is unbearable and now the swelling and pain is back.

February 11, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by Texas_Carrie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) flare presented in 2006 after a traumatic wrist injury/surgery. Enbrel did not work for 6 months and then mostly worked. Until the end of 3 yrs. Developed Polymyositis in addition to RA. Creates total weakness in the large muscle groups, balance problems, and of course depression. Taking about 20 different medicines, including steroids afterwards. No significant relief except when on steroids greater than 20mg per day. High dose of steroids for past 2 years. Just tried Rituxin infusion therapy. First drip went fine. 2nd infusion caused an allergic reaction. Back to square 1.

February 7, 2014 3:20 AM

Review by Vicki Australia:

Started Enbrel 6 weeks ago and after 2 years of constant pain despite taking a variety of drugs - this week I can actually walk for at least a short distance without crippling pain. The remaining discomfort I think is due to lack of strength from years of forced inactivity which is going to take time to build up but oh - the joy of no pain! So far no side effects and hopefully I can regain my life again.

October 28, 2013 3:23 AM

Review by carl2son:

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 31 years. During this time, I went through all the medicines given me. They might work somewhat for a few weeks, but then would fail or the side effects were too severe. I have been on "gold" injections (5 years) and Metotroxite, and Predisone for another 5 or 6 years. Eight years ago, I went on Humira for a few months. It was helpful only for a few days and then the rest of the week was too painful. I then switched to Enbrel, at first 25 mg twice a week, and now 50 mg once a week. It has been wonderful - I still have joint soreness if I over-do, and need to take a muscle relaxer at night, but I am so much better. I worry that it may start to be less effective, but so far, I'm loving it

October 22, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by Bill , Illinois (taken for 2 to 5 years):

took Enbrel for 3 years and it took the joint pain away but did not take swelling bags away in wrist, switched to orencia and joint pain came back so once again went back to Enbrel with no joint pain but will have to live with the swelling in wrist, also a big difference in needle pain with Enbrel verses orencia, the orencia needle was nice and sharp with no pain, the Enbrel needles seem to be dull and needs to be sharper like the orencia needles, but at least there's no longer any joint pain, thankful for that.

October 19, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by mom of many:

I am 57 years old. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 3 years ago. During the past 3 years I have taken a variety of medications. I was unable to tolerate Methotrexate. Presently, I take 400 mg of Plaquenil daily, Protonix once daily, and 800-1600 mg of ibuprofen daily. My rheumatologist also prescribes Prednisone tapers for flares. I've been using the Enbrel Autoinjector 50 mg once per week for about 8 weeks. Sadly, I have not experienced any relief of arthritis symptoms. Thankfully, no serious side effects either so I plan to continue with Enbrel for a few more weeks. I'm wondering how long I should wait before giving up.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2013 5:15 PM

Review by Maria Rose, Fl.:

I started getting sick in August of 2008. After numerous trips to ER's, Dr.'s offices and hospitalizations, I finally got diagnosed with full skeletal rheumatoid arthritis. With it came Fibromyalgia, anemia, insomnia, depression and medicine induced diabetes. Was put on Humira for 2 years with continues Flare ups. Finally was put on Enbrel about 5 months ago and I just now am experiencing less pain and less swelling. I can even jump off the bed first thing in the morning, specially when my dog asked to be taken out. I'm only on 5mg of prednisone now, Enbrel once a week and few intakes of pain meds and muscle relaxants. I'm not sure how long will it work for me but I am thankful for the availability of the medicine and my having good insurance.

October 3, 2013 10:59 PM

Review by Karley:

After about 7 months of weekly Enbel injections I began to experience severe psychological symptoms. I continued taking Enbrel for about five more months as my doctor didn't believe the symptoms were due to Enbrel. At this point we believed I was in remission and I was off treatment for several months. My side effects disappeared. When I had a flare up I was put back on Enbrel. The psychological side effects came back full force and many doctors saw that it was definitely a side effect of the medicine. Enbrel did wonderful things for my arthritis, but I can't take it again. My doctor has noted these symptoms in other patients.

September 6, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by debihut (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Enbrel is the first medication I've taken that's actually helped. After taking it for about 10 months with really good results, I had an Achilles tendon repair that was infected with MRSA during rehab. I had to take intravenous antibiotic for 8 weeks and had to go off Enbrel for several months. The pain from the rheumatoid arthtitis came back 10 fold. I'm back on Enbrel now but I find that it wears off by the 5th day, and by the time the week is over I'm in misery with swollen joints. I don't know what I'd do without it - just wish it could work all week.

July 27, 2013 2:35 PM

Review by krispolk (taken for 1 to 2 years):

What can I say?...Enbrel put me in remission. What can be better than that? 8 years of rheumatoid arthritis treatments, some caused inflammation of my kidneys and liver. At the time I started on Enbrel, I was taking 5 different medications. One by one they were eliminated. In the fall of 2012, I caught a bad respiratory infection so I stopped the Enbrel per doctor's instructions and my rheumatoid arthritis did not come back! I hope they do research to determine how often this occurs because I didn't expect remission!

June 10, 2013 7:27 AM

Review by The MUTT:

Rheumatoid Arthritis for 22 years. Misdiagnosis when disease presented, 6 years of damage until correct diagnosis. Damage not able to be reversed. Taking ENBREL. I have tried REMICADE, was in trials for ORENCIA, but ENBREL seems to be the one that works better for me.

June 3, 2013 1:43 PM

Review by Wrack (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Worked for 4 years, then stopped working.

April 30, 2013 6:39 AM

Started Enbrel 4 months ago, and 100% pain and swelling reduction in a week. No adverse reactions except weight gain. So far, so good! Has made a huge difference in quality of life after 2 years of worsening symptoms at age 45.

April 16, 2013 10:28 PM

Review by RedSoxAmy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthiritis at 22. Enbrel is great, helps a lot. Just like what everyone else says. The real reason for the review is I've seen on here a few people that complain of the cost and the impact it has. No one needs to suffer because of the cost of this medication. There is a program from Pfizer that helps cover the cost of this medication. I don't know how anyone could afford it without the assistance. Look it up at Pfizer. I'm sure most of you know this, but for those who don't, it's more than worth looking into. I pay $10 a month, way better than $2500.

March 29, 2013 11:49 PM

Review by Raft of pills (taken for 5 to 10 years):

On starting the self injection Enbrel, it took six weeks to take the pain away. Enbrel if I had it prescribed twenty years ago, my life would not be wheelchair dependent. My life is anything but painful. I can take part in daily life, enjoy all that can be given.

March 27, 2013 10:23 AM

Review by gratefull grandma (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I started Enbrel, I had great results. All the staff at Enbrel was and still is a great support team. They have even enrolled me in the sharps container recovery program. The medication itself is amazing. I have had to try other meditation's as my insurance company did not want to pay for it at first but since they were told that I have tried other medications they do pay for it.

January 16, 2013 2:35 PM