User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

"I am suffering from AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis) for the last 25 years. My doctor (a rheumatologist) prescribed me Enbrel 50 mg weekly injection, which I continued for 1.6 years. The effect was great for the first 1-2 months but after that the effect of Enbrel plateaued. In spite of that I felt much better and started to lead a better life for the next 1 year or so. But the good news is that after a gap of one year (when I was without the injection) I found that my upper spine which was a bit bow shaped started becoming straight (not fully but to a great extent). That was really dramatic to say the least. I am grateful to this medication and will not mind taking it once again. One last thing, do not stop doing all the stretching exercises."

Ranjanb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"I had been suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis for quite a number of years. I had tried NSAID's with very little improvement, therefore I had no option but to trial Anti-TNF therapy as a last resort. I had originally tried Humira without much improvement at all. I then went on to try Simponi, which improved my physical condition dramatically within the first day of the injection, however seemed to have a psychotic effect on my brain over the couple of months of been on it. I did recover once I stopped the Simponi. I then got onto Enbrel around sometime after and seemed to have improvement within a couple of days of having the injection. I did have itchiness which in hindsight was a minimal problem."

Druza (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2014

"I have been taking Enbrel for 6 months now and I haven't looked back. The side effects have been minimal. Without Enbrel I am quite sure I would be in a wheel chair. I was getting very depressed, I couldn't live a normal life and I couldn't walk. I would shuffle around and in great pain also. I can 100% recommend Enbrel to sufferers of Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was very scared of giving myself an injection every month but the discomfort is minimal. I wouldn't care if it cost me $1000 per month it is well worth it."

johnboy72 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2013

"Tried Enbrel several years ago. Took 3 months to notice positive changes and took 6 months to feel very good. After a year of feeling good, I stopped taking it due to fear. After a year I was miserable. It again took 3 months to think I was getting better and in 6 months I felt great. Just want some people to know it isn't always a quick acting drug. Be patient. But drug makes me feel almost normal and not a person with aches and pains in dozens of places in my body"

Lsnbc November 3, 2013

"I am 14 and I have been diagnosed with arthritis. Enbrel helped me for about a month or so but recently I have started feeling the pain again. I cannot get out of bed in the morning anymore. When I take the injections it hurts really bad. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2013

"I started just yesterday. It's 36 hours later. I feel like 200 lbs lifted off me in the last 3 hours. I can move! I'd tried Remicade...had a terrible reaction/anaphylactic reaction and it did nothing for me. So far this is a miracle, I hope this continues."

haggishunter (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2013

"I'm using ENBREL since last more or less than 3 years. During this time I was painless. It is stopped from last 6 months. Now I'm suffering from pains, pain has been started again after stopping it 2-3 months. As a result I feel should not stop it."

Sukhendu das (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2013

"I have ankylosing spondylitis, it was so bad that I couldn't get out of bed and just got worse. Started Enbrel, it would work for about 4-5 days then stop. I took it weekly. I stopped and tired Humira for 6 months and it didn't work at all, so went back to Enbrel and its working like it used to. It doesn't make the pain totally go away but it is bearable. Can't comment on price because I receive it from the VA."

Me (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2013

"I take Enbrel once a week. I never have any problems."

egomez April 30, 2013

"Helped a great deal when I first took this for about two years, five years ago, for spondylitis, and now I've been taking it for 5 months and it's doing much less."

deerbearcrow February 3, 2013

"I suffered for 10 years not knowing what was wrong. Ankylosing Spondylitis was taking my life in a painful way. Enbrel has been like a miracle, the pain was gone after the first day. If you are still suffering and other medicines are not doing the trick, ask your doctor to put you on Enbrel. After taking it for 6 weeks, my Ankylosing Spondylitis is 90% better. I'm 44 years old and bought an off road dirt bike and go out riding as often as I have time now. The only pain I have now are the bruises."

Navy Brian (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

"I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis about 2 years ago after experiencing severe stiffness in the neck and shoulders. I could barely turn my neck at all. Within a couple of weeks of taking Enbrel I was fully flexible and back to my rightful age of 27. 2 years on and I even sometimes forget I have this illness. I recently stopped taking it for 2 weeks and I soon found out what wonders it was working! It is incredible."

Jay2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2012

"I have now tried Enbrel two different times. It worked really well the first few weeks and has gradually lost its effectiveness."

Anonymous February 25, 2012

"I am a 14 year old. I was put on this medicine about 4-5 months ago and I have never felt better. I was walking around as if I was 90 and now I feel like a new person."

Anonymous January 2, 2012

"Enbrel most likely saved my life. Was eating less znd less due to pain in jaw. Range of motion loss in neck, hip, jaw and back largely regained after taking Enbrel. On it for 6 years. Pain went away day after starting it. First symptom was probably iritis episode in 2000. Now 53 years old and only worry is how to pay for it with all the changes in medical coverage."

Anonymous October 18, 2011

"Amazing medication in its capabilities. The challenge is staying healthy and avoiding infections, specifically sinus infections for me. It has been a miracle drug and I hope to continue using it because it's given me back my life."

RA/ASinNW November 8, 2010

"I was diagnosed with AS about 8 years ago. I have been on Enbrel for approximately 7 years, except when pregnant or breastfeeding. Enbrel worked wonders for me. I felt great! Unfortunately it looks like I have become allergic to something (probably preservatives) in the injection. I had a several allergic reaction about a month ago and my doctor switched me to Humira. I just took my first injection this past week and so far so good. Hopefully I won't have a reaction like I recently experienced with Enbrel - keeping my fingers crossed!"

Anonymous July 18, 2010

"Have had Ankolysing Spondylitis since 17, never knew that until 3 years ago. Just thought I had bad back, knees and shoulders. Had one of my "episodes" that didn't pass in 3 weeks, went to Docotr, gave all my symptoms, he asked if I ever had X-rays of my spine. Yes I had, but not the right area, and there was all this fusing, and calcification in my lungs, did some tests, and a referral to a Rheumatologist, findings of AS and Fibromyalgia. Enbrel has saved my life, I am allergic to NSAIDs so no help there, but with Enbrel at 48 years I feel I have this disease, not that it has Me. Still have some BAD Days but am able to hold job and have a life."

Anonymous May 7, 2010

"Even though I take the Enbrel in addition to diclofenac and sulfasalazine, adding it to my drug regime has been a small miracle. The day following my first dose was as if I had lost 25 pounds, moved to sea level, and it was summer all year long. My energy level has increased, I have no morning stiffness at all, and I can hike, carry a 25 pound back pack, and knit. I have been using it for 4 years and it has not changed its positive affect on my disease. I feel very badly for those who are allergic to it or have built a tolerance to it. Humira did nothing like this for me, and I cannot afford Rheumacaid."

Anonymous January 20, 2010

"I started using Enbrel two years ago. I can still remember the first night I tried the medication. I woke up the next morning feeling like 25 lbs was lifted off me. I suffered since age 27 and now I am 40 and feel great! Remember to have your blood checked regularly to be sure all is normal."

Anonymous November 5, 2009

"34 yr old female, tried Enbrel for 5 weeks, it gave me a severe allergic reaction, hives, facial swelling, etc. Everything went back to normal after stopping the drug, but now I am weary of all biologics. This disease is a nightmare."

Anonymous September 1, 2009

"I am a 46 year old Ankylosing Spondylitis suffering male and have been on Enbrel for 4 weeks. I feel like a new man, it is brilliant."

Anonymous May 19, 2009

"It's a wonder drug."

Anonymous April 10, 2009

"This medication saved my life. Without it I would be a completely different person. Whoever out there found a way to treat my Ankylosing Spondylitis with this medicine deserves the world. Thank you."

Anonymous January 21, 2009

"I have taken 3-4 semi-effective anti-inflammatory medications in the past. Some made me nauseous and dizzy, but Enbrel is the first to make me feel 99% normal. My energy level is much higher than it was. I don't walk around like an old man any more (I'm a 37 year old female) and I can do yoga, aerobics, etc. The only side-effect I have noticed is about 10lbs weight gain over the past year, but I am going to work on more exercise/less evening snacking and see if that can keep it in check. At least now I have the energy to exercise when I need to. Before it was too daunting."

stephieduck January 13, 2009