User Reviews for Enbrel

Learn more about Enbrel.

Enbrel Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Enbrel to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

"I was diagnosed at 33 year , now I' m 36 , I have tried Nucoxia which raised my BP .Then Doc recommended to Etanercept 50 mg weekly . It is really a wonder drug . No side effect , nothing. I'm on this drug for two week. I have used Ciplas Etacept"

Rob Rob April 8, 2016

"I'm 37 and was always healthy and pain free till 1 yr ago. I started having pain in my feet and heals, and my stomach & bowels, it got worse gradually. I started having pain in my left wrist, ankles, knee, shoulders and neck, even a couple of my toes also had a fever off and on. I had swelling and couldn't even walk. I had no idea what was going on till I went to a rheumatoid doc and he found out I had ankylosing spondylitis. He started me on enbrel and I stayed off my feet for a week resting my body. I got better and better ever week no pain at all. I just now am noticing my feet hurting, one knee and by shoulders and very fatigue . I'm praying that the medicine is still working. It's been exactly a yr since I started the enbrel."

JAMIE 1yr enbrel March 5, 2016

"Taking Embel once a week now (Started the day before Christmas 12/24/16). I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis for over 17 years but was misdiagnosed until 3/15. The doctors always told me that I had chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. It first started at @ age 37. I could hardly make it through a week without going in and getting IVs full of vitamins and saline. I finally came across a Nurse Practitioner who prescribed me vitamin B injections (twice a week), vitamin D (once a week), and Folic Acid (Deplin - once a week). This really was helpful but the pain was horrific & I never felt right. And I had boughts with bad pain in my Achilles - left foot. There is more to my story but this site will not allow me to type it."

Penny Perfect February 20, 2016

"Experienced 95% relief 24 hours after my 1st injection. I just had my 3rd injection and feel amazing. Before Enbrel I was taking 18 extra strength Ibuprofen daily and was still in pain at times throughout the day. Enbrel given me back my life. Every morning when I wake up and have no excruciating stiffness and pain I almost cry. It's almost like I'm dreaming and its just a matter of time before the pain returns. It hasn't. Thank You Enliven."

skyflakesq October 15, 2015

"Oh my god!! This medication is amazing. It's turned me into a brand new person. The debilitating swelling/stiffness in my knees, pain and grinding in my shoulders are ENTIRELY gone. The stiffness and lack of movement in my spine is very slowly getting better. I've been on it 3 weeks and I'm so much better. It took a very long time (3 years) and 6 Rheumatologists to finally get a doc to agree to trial me on a TNF inhibitor. The injection site reaction is super sucky. It have a big red itchy/burning rash where I inject for a 3-4 days after. I've made up a great cream to treat the symptoms, but gonna ask the Doc if I can switch to prefilled syringes."

smccormick22 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

"I was diagnosed with AS about 2 years ago but felt the pain last 5 years. I have tried everything and absolutely nothing has worked for me, lastly trying Humira which I was on for about 4months and no pain relief and then trying Enbrel weekly for 4 works now and haven't felt any difference at all so far, maybe it may take a lot longer to kick in :("

Lozzy543 June 28, 2015

"I started Enbrel for AS 19 months ago. I had been diagnosed 46 years ago and had been taking Indocid SR and then when they stopped making the SR version switched to Voltaren. Even taking these potent drugs I was still with pain and problems as they only masked the symptoms. Within 6 hours of my first shot I was pain free and within 2 weeks was playing tennis again. I must say though that I do get sharp pains in my feet occasionally and I have put on about 20 lbs . all on the lower belly which my rheumatologist told me was a possible side affect. Another thing is my finger joints feel weaker and am having a bit of insomnia. But being pain free has helped my quality of life. I joined of a study group on it and share indo with others in it."

joe.sport May 26, 2015

"I am a 46 yr old female. I had my first flare at 19, but doctors couldn't figure out what it was. I wasn't diagnosed until 5 years ago. I have steadily gone downhill since the diagnosis. They tried me on all the medications they could before starting TNF blockers. I was put on Humira first and although it made me feel some better, my back measurements were getting worse. Then the rheumy changed it to Enbrel. I had terrible site reactions from Enbrel and also tremors. I now have a rx for Simponi but I can't start it until I finish a round of antibiotics for Sinusitis and Bronchitis. I'm so happy to read that some people are getting help from some of these medications and hope that Simponi is my answer to prayer and I'll get my life back!"

OregonNana (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"I am suffering from AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis) for the last 25 years. My doctor (a rheumatologist) prescribed me Enbrel 50 mg weekly injection, which I continued for 1.6 years. The effect was great for the first 1-2 months but after that the effect of Enbrel plateaued. In spite of that I felt much better and started to lead a better life for the next 1 year or so. But the good news is that after a gap of one year (when I was without the injection) I found that my upper spine which was a bit bow shaped started becoming straight (not fully but to a great extent). That was really dramatic to say the least. I am grateful to this medication and will not mind taking it once again. One last thing, do not stop doing all the stretching exercises."

Ranjanb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

"I had been suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis for quite a number of years. I had tried NSAID's with very little improvement, therefore I had no option but to trial Anti-TNF therapy as a last resort. I had originally tried Humira without much improvement at all. I then went on to try Simponi, which improved my physical condition dramatically within the first day of the injection, however seemed to have a psychotic effect on my brain over the couple of months of been on it. I did recover once I stopped the Simponi. I then got onto Enbrel around sometime after and seemed to have improvement within a couple of days of having the injection. I did have itchiness which in hindsight was a minimal problem."

Druza (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2014

"I have been taking Enbrel for 6 months now and I haven't looked back. The side effects have been minimal. Without Enbrel I am quite sure I would be in a wheel chair. I was getting very depressed, I couldn't live a normal life and I couldn't walk. I would shuffle around and in great pain also. I can 100% recommend Enbrel to sufferers of Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was very scared of giving myself an injection every month but the discomfort is minimal. I wouldn't care if it cost me $1000 per month it is well worth it."

johnboy72 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2013

"Tried Enbrel several years ago. Took 3 months to notice positive changes and took 6 months to feel very good. After a year of feeling good, I stopped taking it due to fear. After a year I was miserable. It again took 3 months to think I was getting better and in 6 months I felt great. Just want some people to know it isn't always a quick acting drug. Be patient. But drug makes me feel almost normal and not a person with aches and pains in dozens of places in my body"

Lsnbc November 3, 2013

"I am 14 and I have been diagnosed with arthritis. Enbrel helped me for about a month or so but recently I have started feeling the pain again. I cannot get out of bed in the morning anymore. When I take the injections it hurts really bad. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2013

"I started just yesterday. It's 36 hours later. I feel like 200 lbs lifted off me in the last 3 hours. I can move! I'd tried Remicade...had a terrible reaction/anaphylactic reaction and it did nothing for me. So far this is a miracle, I hope this continues."

haggishunter (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2013

"I'm using ENBREL since last more or less than 3 years. During this time I was painless. It is stopped from last 6 months. Now I'm suffering from pains, pain has been started again after stopping it 2-3 months. As a result I feel should not stop it."

Sukhendu das (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2013

"I have ankylosing spondylitis, it was so bad that I couldn't get out of bed and just got worse. Started Enbrel, it would work for about 4-5 days then stop. I took it weekly. I stopped and tired Humira for 6 months and it didn't work at all, so went back to Enbrel and its working like it used to. It doesn't make the pain totally go away but it is bearable. Can't comment on price because I receive it from the VA."

Me (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2013

"I take Enbrel once a week. I never have any problems."

egomez April 30, 2013

"Helped a great deal when I first took this for about two years, five years ago, for spondylitis, and now I've been taking it for 5 months and it's doing much less."

deerbearcrow February 3, 2013

"I suffered for 10 years not knowing what was wrong. Ankylosing Spondylitis was taking my life in a painful way. Enbrel has been like a miracle, the pain was gone after the first day. If you are still suffering and other medicines are not doing the trick, ask your doctor to put you on Enbrel. After taking it for 6 weeks, my Ankylosing Spondylitis is 90% better. I'm 44 years old and bought an off road dirt bike and go out riding as often as I have time now. The only pain I have now are the bruises."

Navy Brian (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

"I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis about 2 years ago after experiencing severe stiffness in the neck and shoulders. I could barely turn my neck at all. Within a couple of weeks of taking Enbrel I was fully flexible and back to my rightful age of 27. 2 years on and I even sometimes forget I have this illness. I recently stopped taking it for 2 weeks and I soon found out what wonders it was working! It is incredible."

Jay2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2012

"I have now tried Enbrel two different times. It worked really well the first few weeks and has gradually lost its effectiveness."

Anonymous February 25, 2012

"I am a 14 year old. I was put on this medicine about 4-5 months ago and I have never felt better. I was walking around as if I was 90 and now I feel like a new person."

Anonymous January 2, 2012

"Enbrel most likely saved my life. Was eating less znd less due to pain in jaw. Range of motion loss in neck, hip, jaw and back largely regained after taking Enbrel. On it for 6 years. Pain went away day after starting it. First symptom was probably iritis episode in 2000. Now 53 years old and only worry is how to pay for it with all the changes in medical coverage."

Anonymous October 18, 2011

"Amazing medication in its capabilities. The challenge is staying healthy and avoiding infections, specifically sinus infections for me. It has been a miracle drug and I hope to continue using it because it's given me back my life."

RA/ASinNW November 8, 2010

"I was diagnosed with AS about 8 years ago. I have been on Enbrel for approximately 7 years, except when pregnant or breastfeeding. Enbrel worked wonders for me. I felt great! Unfortunately it looks like I have become allergic to something (probably preservatives) in the injection. I had a several allergic reaction about a month ago and my doctor switched me to Humira. I just took my first injection this past week and so far so good. Hopefully I won't have a reaction like I recently experienced with Enbrel - keeping my fingers crossed!"

Anonymous July 18, 2010