User Reviews for Lunesta (Page 3)

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"I have taken Lunesta 3mg for about 5 years now. Never have had bad dreams or any instances of sleepwalking, etc. I take it & about 45 minutes later I am fast asleep until my alarm clock goes off. Prior to finding Lunesta, I had insomnia for years & I cannot tell you how much of a lifesaver this medicine has been! Tried Ambien but it did not work for me at all. Also tried Sonata, but would wake up a few hours after going to sleep. I've had no problems with tolerance, either. The only "bad" thing is the crappy taste in one's mouth, but I discovered that brushing my tongue when I brush my teeth before going to bed gets rid of 90% of it, along with using Biotene mouthwash (the dry mouth brand). Hooray! My insurance will now cover it, too!"

ItsyBitsyMe December 4, 2012

"Dry mouth, nausea, horrible taste"

Insomier (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2012

"Put me to sleep almost every night at first, however, never felt like I had a great nights sleep. Then after a few months it became less effective. Started waking at five o'clock and needing to take supplemental medicines to get some sleep. Am switching to something that might also help with anxiety too. (By the way, did not experience the foul taste thing at all.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2012

"Lunesta works very well for me. It does leave a metallic taste in your mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2012

"No bad taste, no side effects. No effects at all, actually. Everytime I've taken it, nothing. I don't feel tired, I don't sleep. The only thing that happens is I'll get a mild headache."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

"I have insomnia worst than most people. I'm 21, I compete in body building and and I'm in great shape. I never get tired. If I get 3 hours of sleep a night I can still function fine the next day. But it shot me into horrible anxiety and depression from lack of sleep. I've tried all the sleeping medicines. There's no doubt Ambien will knock you out but I always wake up 4 hours later. I just started taking Lunesta because I was so desperate to get sleep. Lunesta the first night helped me sleep 8 hours. The second night, "last night" it took about an hour to come into affect but I definitely slept 9 hours. No bad taste. I feel amazing. It definitely works all night . If you need a full nights sleep, please try it."

luke101 April 6, 2012

"Didn't make me tired at all. About 20 min after taking it the horrible taste kicked in. Water doesn't even taste good. It's awful. "

Catlady 22 February 29, 2012

"I tried Lunesta for severe insomnia and it didn't work for me. It gave me a very bitter, nasty, taste in my mouth within 30 minutes after taking it. It didn't make me sleepy and the taste made it even harder to fall asleep. I had to end up taking 1 mg Xanax to fall asleep that night. "

Anonymous February 9, 2012

"I've been taking Lunesta (3mg) for 3 years now. The only side effect I've noticed is the bad taste, but that is minor. Sleep with this has been great, no bad dreams, no anxiety. Stress and irritation is way down now that I get a solid 7-8 hours/night. I've just started a weight loss program (4 months) and had no problem dropping the expected 1.5lbs/week that the method I'm using (calorie counting) is designed for."

bladeturner January 9, 2012

"Used for two months now, Lunesta has been more effective than Ambien curbing early morning awakening. The taste in the mouth is tolerable. "

drjeff2011 December 31, 2011

"I absolutely love it! And by the way its the only medication for insomnia that is approved by the FDA to be taken long term. I've tried Ambien, temazepam, trazodone, OTC sleep aids, valerian, melatonin, EVERYTHING; and nothing else has ever came close to helping me sleep like Lunesta does. The only problem which really sucks is my insurance wont pay for Lunesta so if I want it I have to pay cash and its ridiculously expensive!"

MeSoTired October 21, 2011

"I have been taking Lunesta since about 2004. I have tried to take Rozerem, Ambien, Ambien CR and NOTHING works as well as this. But now my copay is $76.00 a month on top of my doctors visit. The after taste does go away. I know it said not to take for a long period of time but I WAS NOT able to sleep with anything else but Lunesta. Now my insurance is changing again and I will basically have to pay full price. I love this medicine it is the only thing that works and I need something that could possibly be a substitute."

jagator October 17, 2011

"Highly recommended. I've tried several other options over the counter, homeopathic, and prescription and for me this has been a clear winner. (I pay out of pocket for it instead of doing the Ambien thing.) Works quickly%u2014but not an Ambien instant-blackout%u2014and works just the right amount of time to keep me asleep and allow me to wake rested. If you also suffer from anxiety you may, as I did, find this a very effective and surprisingly durable treatment. The only side effect I experienced was a bitter/metallic taste which persisted until just before lunch. Breakfast isn't super tasty but I figure its even less enjoyable when I've slept four hours."

Context October 7, 2011

"My second day I found myself driving to the 7-11 and don't remember it. My next room friend told me. "

derama214 August 13, 2011

"I absolutely love Lunesta. It gives me peace and rest at night and gives me a full night sleep. The metal taste is nothing that causes me any trouble. Only some things make it noticeable like water. I have depersonalization symptoms and Lunesta did not make them worse. If anything it made them better because I can sleep now."

Taylormm August 7, 2011

"I am a professional program designer and had a problem with thought activity which made getting sleep a real chore. It became such a problem that my physician recommended my taking Lunesta 3mg about a year and a half ago. I have not really noticed the after taste many have reported, but do have some dreams (mostly repetitive type problems that are work related) but, the trade off is a really good nights sleep. I have energy the next day (my own, not enhanced). It will usually deliver 7 to 8 hours and not wake to a drugged feeling. I wish there was a generic which would save me money. "

Anonymous August 7, 2011

"I'm a chronic insomniac and have tried just about every medicine and remedy available. Lunesta 3mg works the best for me although after 10 days I no longer sleep through the night. I wake up after 3 or 4 hours but I can usually fall back asleep for another 3 hours which is better than not sleeping at all. The only time I've noticed the bad taste is when I cut a pill in half. Don't do it!"

Jmg714 July 30, 2011

"Works GREAT for me. Only a half a pill calms my brain enough to put me to sleep. The only negative is the price - $62 for only 7 pills!"

Anonymous July 20, 2011

"I have struggled with insomnia for years. My biggest problem is either staying asleep or falling asleep. I worry a lot at night as well and can hear a pin drop when I'm asleep. I was taking benzos but found that I needed them almost every night and that started to worry me so my physician gave me lunesta to try. (I have tried Ambien and Ambien CR, both did the opposite for me and kept me up all night). I love Lunesta. Not only do I fall asleep comfortably, I stay asleep. It feels natural, not like I am drugged. I wake up refreshed and ready for my day. I don't even need to take it every night, I found that if I take it a few nights, I don't really need it the following nights. Also I have not had the metal taste at all."

Anonymous June 18, 2011

"I hardly notice the taste at all if I swallow them quickly. It doesn't always work for me. I started at 2mg, tried 4mg, and now 6mg. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I don't, kind of like without it. Also definitely major food binging that I haven't been able to control while taking it. Once I mixed it with alcohol and had bad effect, very weird behavior I don't remember at all. I won't make that mistake again. I'm going try Rozerem."

Anonymous June 14, 2011

"While effective, the aftertaste it leaves is almost intolerable. It tastes like sewage. Compared to some other less expensive more pleasant tasting and effective alternatives....there are better choices for me....Halcion in particular."

Anonymous June 1, 2011

"Lunesta is wonderful. I am a chronic insomniac that can't sleep at all without medication, so far (2 weeks) Lunesta is the best I have ever used. I have been on 9 different sleep medicines from antidepressants to benzodiazepines, etc. and 3 mg Lunesta has helped the most. I was on Ambien for some time, both regular and CR and with both I would wake up after 4 hours. Lunesta gets me a solid 7 hrs of sleep and has changed my life! Only bad thing is the taste but I am getting used to it now, oh and it isn't cheap! Patent expires in 2 years then generic will be available, but this medicine is worth the cost, nothing else works as well for sleep onset and maintenance."

brown324 May 26, 2011

"I have been on Lunesta, 2mg, for almost a year now and by far, this is the best sleep medication out there. Although, with this medicine I have had little to no side effects at all. Only thing is, I have had sleep walking occurrences but overall, this is an excellent sleep aid and pricey too."

bs1973 April 29, 2011

"Like most other posts, I have noticed the gross taste the next day. I tried everything to confirm it was from the medication and it was. "

SleeplessSouth April 25, 2011

"I take Lunesta every night and find that I fall asleep easily and wake up easily after 8 or more hours of sleep. I wake up every morning grateful for Lunesta. After many months and years of restless sleep and daily fatigue, Lunesta has brought much needed relief. "

Anonymous April 17, 2011