User Reviews for Lunesta

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

Review by badkatz: User Rating:

Had no effect on me at all. I had an average of 3 hours of sleep after using it for a week.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 28, 2010 5:07 AM
Review by upgrade!: User Rating:

I just made the switch from Ambien to Lunesta because Ambien just wasn't working for me anymore. I am not a regular taker, just on the odd occasion like traveling. But I took Lunesta for the first time last night and I DID fall asleep quickly but after about four hours I suddenly awoke. Then woke up again after another four hours WIDE awake! This was at 5 in the morning and I wasn't ready to get up. I guess that is kind of a good thing because I didn't feel groggy or sleepy at all. I lay there and finally drifted off for a couple more hours and then I had a weird dream. The metallic taste is the only side effect I have noticed.

May 6, 2010 3:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have had the best sleep with Lunesta, since menopause. Ambien made me feel groggy and irritated. I did not even sleep all the way through the night. I'd take it and wonder some nights if I was even going to fall asleep. With Lunesta, I've been taking one about every 3 nights fall asleep and stay asleep. If I get up to go to the bathroom, I can fall right back to sleep! Amazing. I have a new insurance company, and they want me try Ambien again, and Sonata! There is no way that I want to go trying other medicines when this one works for me. I think I'll and buy it myself.

April 22, 2010 8:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took Lunesta for the first time last night and it gently put me to sleep. I have had a lot of anxiety about falling asleep. At first I was a little hesitant that I needed prescription medicines to sleep. I was able to get about 6-7 hours of sleep that I desperately needed. No metal aftertaste. I used Ambien in the past and woke up and threw up and had a miserable headache all day. That is not the case with Lunesta.

April 17, 2010 9:40 AM
Review by blupanther1: User Rating:

I tried Ambien but the only thing it did was make me stumble through the house like a drunk but not sleep well at all. But from the first time I took Lunesta 3mg it gently put me to sleep and I sleep the best I have slept in a long time; and after 2-3 years it still works well. Plus I wake with no feeling like I even take something to sleep. I am finding the need to take it to get sleepy more now, so my tolerance for this may have increased but I still think its a wonder drug for me. I think different people need different medicines to help. I think I'm lucky this works so well for me. Good luck everyone! I hope you find something that works just as well for you!

March 12, 2010 10:55 PM
Review by killerbug: User Rating:

Tried the 2 mg dosage of Lunesta and it did not even make me drowsy. Ambien still works after about 10 years of use but I am having to use it more frequently and in higher dosages.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2010 2:05 AM
Review by hate it: User Rating:

It worked great at first and I loved the medicine, but after long term use I realized it had changed my personality. At first I attributed the depression and irratibility to a recent move and change in job but as soon as I stopped the Lunesta the depression cleared and I was back to my normal self. I would maybe recommend this for only occasional use but not for any extended perion.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 15, 2010 12:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Lunesta for two years. It has been wonderful. My wife appreciates the fact that I sleep all night now. I can set my clock by it, consistently wake up at 7 hours, refreshed. I have tried the 2MG and does not quite work. 3MG does the job for me. I have no problem waking up to answer the telephone or help with the kids, and then go right back to sleep. Good stuff, but expensive. My wife says it is worth it.

January 19, 2010 10:18 AM
Review by bugmann0218: User Rating:

YES, Lunesta 3mg provides me GREAT REST! It seems to not have the tolerance problems that Ambien has. I've used Lunesta for over a year (when required). It did give me metal mouth taste but after a while I began to look for that taste when drinking water during the night. I guess some will adjust to this side effect. Other side effects, a hearty appetite, hunger for sweets, loss some libido but still tolerable. The bad news is the maker was granted an extension to its exclusive rights till 2015 which means no generics till then and the highest co-pay every month! It's the high price of a quality nights sleep.

December 23, 2009 4:04 PM
Review by Kbod77: User Rating:

Worked great with sleep but the awful taste in my mouth never went away!

October 21, 2009 11:20 AM
Review by Kesha3: User Rating:

Lunesta 3mg for me is the best I have ever taken, for almost a year and half. Had no bad side effects. Gives you 8 hours of sleep and you do not wake up tired. Also has helped out my anxiety at night before bed. I rate it 10. I wish Lunesta would make a new pill for anxiety for during the day, and not for sleep. I'm happy.

October 18, 2009 9:18 PM
Review by Ivan g: User Rating:

The blue one prescribed to me was 3mg. Swallow as soon as it hits tongue or the taste will haunt you several hours. This pill shuts me down fast and only one was needed but it made my shoulder and elbow joints ache the next day.

October 17, 2009 12:39 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lunesta 3mg never helped me sleep at all! The benzodiazepines, anti-psychotics (Seroquel, etc.) , and barbiturates more useful to help me sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 13, 2009 7:48 PM
Review by jonsie: User Rating:

I have been on Ambien for about 8 months but I had started to become tolerant to it. Sometimes I would take it and it would knock me out other times I can take it and still be wide awake until 4am. My doctor recommended that I try Ambien CR but my insurance won't approve it until I've tried Lunesta. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!! It literally had no effect on me whatsoever. Tylenol PM would have done a better job! I followed the instructions to the tee, didn't eat a fatty meal and took it on an empty stomach. Has anyone else had this result? I need to switch back to Ambien!

September 30, 2009 4:28 AM
Review by rayj: User Rating:

I take 3mg of Lunesta before bedtime. I have no bad after taste. I wake feeling refreshed. I awake some nights but I'm able to fall back to sleep and still feel refreshed when I awake. I do wish the price would come down.

September 23, 2009 12:56 PM
Review by Ms. Rose: User Rating:

I had taken Ambien on and off for several years. It seemed to be the ticket to a good night's rest. Then, it was less effective a few times. The major problem was that I had to lose an entire night's sleep to break away from it, if taken for more than 3 nights in a row. STILL, I thought it was worth it just to get SOME sleep. THEN, one night I had what I NOW know is commonly called an "Ambien nightmare". Recently I got the Flu. The Tamiflu sparked insomnia once again. I started taking Lunesta. It tastes bad but it is WORTH it. I can take it up to 1 hour before bed or 5 minutes and it relaxes me. If I happen to wake up,I can go back to sleep! Wonderful! What a new life for me! Ready to hop up in the mornings now!

September 16, 2009 4:39 PM
Review by vaag: User Rating:

I tried Lunesta for about 3 weeks. The first day it worked okay. After that it was useless. Also very expensive.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2009 10:36 PM
Review by insomnia: User Rating:

I have not had a good nights sleep for over a year. Woken up several times a night. I have been miserable due to lack of sleep. It is really starting to show on my face - deep dark under-eye circles. Yesterday, my doctor prescribed Lunesta. I slept so good last night. Only woke up twice, but went right back to sleep. I do not feel any grogginess. There is a "yucky" taste side effect. But, I will take yucky taste any day for a good nights sleep. I am really excited to get a good nights sleep again tonight. Hope it works the same again.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2009 2:45 PM
Review by calisun: User Rating:

I've been taking Lunesta for almost a year and it has worked wonders for me. I make sure I take it on an empty stomach and I make sure I have at least 7 hours of sleep. I do get that weird taste in my mouth but I don't mind, it's really not that bad. I have a toddler and I am able to wake up in the middle of the night without a problem. If I do need to wake up in the middle of the night I am alert and then I am able to fall right back to sleep. Overall I've had a great experience.

August 19, 2009 10:11 PM
Review by barn1403: User Rating:

I've been taking Lunesta for about a month and cannot get any rest. Not sure if I need increase in the dosage. Yes, I have the bad taste. I take on empty stomach and stay up and just wait to go to sleep. Doesn't happen.

August 13, 2009 10:30 PM
Review by STARDOM: User Rating:

This made my arms itch really bad and kept me up.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 21, 2009 9:06 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I used this medicine to help me fall asleep. While it did work and I fell right asleep, the next day I felt groggy and had a metallic taste in my mouth accompanied by ringing in my ears. The side effects far outweighed the benefits of this medicine for me.

July 20, 2009 6:46 PM
Review by Angelstahr: User Rating:

I have been taking Lunesta for over 3 years now. Unfortunately I can't take Ambien due to heart palpitations and other side effects. The cost of Lunesta just went up for me to $205 for a 30 day supply. I can't afford it anymore and I don't know what I'm going to do. It's the only thing that helped me sleep after dealing with insomnia for over 20 years. I no longer notice the taste in the morning and I can get up in the middle of the night and then fall right back to sleep. No sleepwalking or anything to report either. Just refreshing sleep.

July 11, 2009 10:36 PM
Review by lilolme: User Rating:

I started using Lunesta over 2 years ago after trying Restoril for several months, which would put me to sleep but then I'd wake up at 2 or 3am and not get back to sleep until dawn. My doctor prescribed Ambien, but that made me have heart palpitations, so she switched me to Lunesta. The only side effect I've had is the "yucky taste" in my mouth...brushing your tongue and the roof of your mouth upon awakening takes care of that. The cost is high as others have mentioned, but after years of not getting a good nights sleep, it's well worth it to me.

July 8, 2009 11:01 PM
Review by trauma rn: User Rating:

I've taken Lunesta for a year and as a night shift nurse I'm able to take 3mg and sleep solidly for 5-6 hours while the sun is shining outside. When I wake I'm ready and refreshed for another 12 hour overnight shift. The funny taste goes away after a while and is worth the benefit of a good sleep. I recommend taking it on a relatively empty stomach then jump in the sack in a cool room and close your eyes try to calm your breathing then let the sleep come to you. A good pair of comfortable earplugs may help too.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 5, 2009 9:13 AM