User Reviews for Lunesta

Learn more about Lunesta.

Lunesta Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lunesta to treat Insomnia

"Started ambein. Took for years. I built a tolorence. Now on lunesta at 3mg. Worked for about a month and now I am back to sleepless nights :("

sleepless in greenville July 26, 2015

"Works pretty well after using it for several years. Works best on a totally empty stomach. Have had a glass of wine after taking 3 mg and for some reason it doesn't work as well for me. I wake up after only a couple of hours. All in all, I think it works great. I don't have the memory loss that I sometimes experience with Ambien."

Labnightshift (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2015

"I took imovane for 2 months earlier this year to help with insomnia caused by anxiety from a health scare. It worked great in putting me to sleep in minimal time. The taste wasn't ideal but not a big issue, and I had no other side effects. But on stopping my underlying anxiety increased. I recommend it more for occasional use to avoid psychological dependancy."

mizzy83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

""Wow"!! That pretty well sums it up. I have been an Ambien user for the past few years. As much as I hate to admit it I found myself abusing the medication. Even worse yet, I was sleep walking & sleep cooking almost every night with huge holes in my memory. I asked my doctor for a sample of Lunesta yesterday. He gave me the 3mg right from the start. The nasty taste hit my mouth within the first 15 minutes of taking it. I woke up 2x during the night due to an alarm on my dryer, but was able to fall right back to sleep. I did wake up with a horrible headache. Not sure if it was from the Lunesta or not. I will try again tonight and see what happens. I to would give this medication a 10 if it were not fo the nasty taste."

Katie H (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"I took my 2nd Lunesta last night. It was the first time that I have slept through the night in over 5 years. And it was a good, pleasant, restful sleep. I was so happy this morning that I teared up. The horrendous metallic taste that lasted 15 hrs kept it from a 10. However, taking the pill with 24oz of water helped tremendously. After years of waking at 2am for hours at a time, I started Ambien but that didn't help so I moved to Ambien CR. I still woke up several times a night (2-4x), ate some crazy concoction but went right back to sleep. I was happy with that improvement. Due to insurance changes, I was thankfully forced to find another sleep medication. In hindsight, Ambien CR sleep was angry, forced, stressful."

Michelle102571 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

"I needed this to travel. In the past ambien and sonata did not work for me. Now I can look forward to my trips. Will take the bitter taste anytime, for a good nights sleep."

aprilr (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

"Helped to fall asleep, but woke up after 1-2 hours. Tried it for 2 weeks."

Hav1 April 3, 2015

"I've had insomnia for years until I found lunesta. this drug is.truly lifesaving. In the 6+ years I've taken it, I probably only had a handful of sleepless nights. unfortunately, just this year, my insurance will no longer pay for it. I could get it approved and pay 90.00 a month but I refuse to do so. I believe insurance should pay for everything your doctor rxs for their patients. I was forced to try ambien. OMG!!! talk about a hangover with NONE of the fun."

Val-doggie March 28, 2015

"Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. The unpleasant aftertaste is due to an increase in the pH of the saliva/mouth environment. I found that taking Lunesta with an acidic drink such as orange juice prevented the aftertaste. Chocolate, the darker the better, will reduce the taste if it occurs."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2014

"I've had severe insomnia for years and have tried everything from diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Ambien, temazapam, and trazodone. Honestly most of the above work except I have to rotate every few weeks between them. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, the one sleep aid that works the best for me is a strong dose of Benadryl. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and Benadryl is the one tried and true medicine that works all night. Because of other meds I'm now on, I can't take it any longer and have to take a prescription sleep aid."

Anonymous777555 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2014

"Has been working great for me, I am currently taking this with Klonopin and have been getting the best nights of sleep I've had in years! I have tried them all to, Ambien CR, Sonata, Rozeram, Restoril and lorazapram to help calm me down before sleep. For some reason with everything but Lunesta, I would always end up waking up in the middle of the night and never be able to fall back asleep. I don't wake up groggy with this medicine either, am literally feeling the most rested and energetic during the day that I can remember filling since I was a kid."

Sampson2269 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

"About 45 min after I took 1 mg. I was laying in bed and started shaking uncontrolled, my heart beat would intermediately race, with sweating. I did this for about an hour and a half then my fingers twitched for a while. It did the opposite, And kept me up! My Dr. told me that I had the less common adverse effects and not to take any more Lunesta."

bumble400 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

"I suffer from spinal pain in the lumbar region. I receive Lumbar ESIs from my pain management doctor, but I never can get to sleep even with a good bed and pain medication. So he gave me some Lunesta samples and I finally slept like a baby in spite of my back pain. I still have a bulging disc and receive injections, but the best thing in the world is 3 mg of Lunesta for a great nights sleep! He wrote me a script and I take it every night now."

kwbridges October 28, 2014

"My first taste of Lunesta was as part of a study to see if "sleep enhancements" lowered blood glucose levels. I don't know about that BUT, I immediately found that my former energy level was back and with that my high spirits as well. It was as though I had, for years, been sleep-walking through life and have been throughly awakened. My problem was not insomnia, rather poor quality of sleep. Like another commenter, my dreams are back and not just the ones that I have while I'm sleeping!"

happiness is not an illusion October 8, 2014

"Really bad insomnia, 40 years now. Lost marriage & job as result. Can't take Klonopin more than twice a week, or builds tolerance. Ambien (Zolpidem)--eh--too much causes sleepwalking, too little means up every 3 hours for next dose. Started 3mg Lunesta 1 week ago. 1st one, nothing. Waited 1 1/2 hours. 2nd one-same story. 3rd one--started-- to feel something, but still, no sleep. (4 hours have gone by) #4 put me to sleep for rest of night. Now take 3 all at once, sleep maybe 2 hours, than have to go for #4. Will start taking 4 all at once tonight. Insurance wouldn't pay (Sept 2014), $324 for 30, i.e., about $1400 a month. Can't afford that. Will dance between Klonopin, Ambien & Lunesta. (And/or nothing at all to keep Lunesta cost down)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2014

"Ten years ago I developed terrible insomnia. I am a lawyer, and getting 2-3 hours of restless sleep a night nearly ruined me. I was first on Ambien, which never gave me real rest. Eight years late, I am still taking 3 mg of Lunesta every night. I sleep 7-8 hours every night. I have never developed a tolerance to it, never had sleepwalking or other issues. In fact, on Lunesta, I dream! My sleep cycle is pretty much normal. This has given me ten years of steady sleep, with no real side-effects. When I go off it for a night or two, I have no major rebound issues. Lunesta has literally given me my life back, and the confidence I will sleep every night."

sleepinglikeababy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2014

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"About 6 months with Lunseta at first it put me to sleep quickly but I would still wake up approximately 3 to 4 hrs later. I also am an occasional sleep walker, my Dr would not even consider Ambien. Sonato 10 did zilch for me. Unfortunately I have done sleep cooking on Lunesta with no memory. Almost a fire though. Now Lunesta barely puts me out even after taking time off last month because of cost. Sad and desperate for sleep!"

apen (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2014

"After taking the pill I get into bed expecting to be awake forever, however before I know it I am sound asleep. Usually sleep through the night, but not always. Interestingly the next day I am much calmer then usual. Not sure if it is because I finally got a good night sleep or if it is a side effect."

zzzzzzzzzz February 16, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Lunesta...way better than Ambien. Ambient made me crazy, memory loss. Both in same class but Lunesta is my BUTTERFLY! A little melatonin. Great sleep..saved me. Oh and 1mg of Klonopin."

ceec23 February 2, 2014

"I have been taking 1mg Lunesta for years. As in the ad, " ... works like a dream" for me. Went from 2-4 hours sleep a night to a solid 7-8hrs and it helped me retrain my sleep cycle. Lunesta seems to allow me to relax and fall asleep with no side effects. After about 6-8 years, slightly less, but still effective for me."

nrm (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It's expensive but works. To bad my insurance won't cover it."

deckerp November 11, 2013

"I have taken Lunesta 3mg for around 6-7 years. It takes about 45 minutes to make me start nodding off. I had the metal taste when I first started using it but don't have any problem with that for years. I got insomnia when I had a hysterectomy years back. I use to take Trazodone and it worked great but gave me a headache every morning. Be sure not to eat any snack near the time you take you take Lunesta that interferes with absorption and falling asleep time. I think it might make me a little more depressed. However, if i don't sleep I would be a raving loon! Nothing worse then laying awake and you head won't shut-up. I would like to be able to fall asleep without medication but it just doesn't happen without Lunesta."

Crazy Diamon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is the only medicine that has really helped me. Love it but so expensive and insurance won't pay. Luckily my Dr. gives samples to tide me over until I can afford. Bad taste is worth the restful sleep. "

sleepinglikebaby September 27, 2013

"Used it for one night, had nightmares all night, restless, tense, weird taste in my mouth....YIKES. Longer story: Used Ambien for almost a year then needed something to last all night. Had to try Lunesta before insurance would cover Ambien CR. Tried it for one night and it really was that bad. I was so happy to see it was time to wake up in the morning so it would stop."

jpruislaf August 30, 2013

"I have really really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doc prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after awhile meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and if needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose."

KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2013