Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Eszopiclone

Also known as: Lunesta

Learn more about Eszopiclone.

Eszopiclone review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Eszopiclone to treat Insomnia

Review by bumble400 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): About 45 min after I took 1 mg. I was laying in bed and started shaking uncontrolled, my heart beat would intermediately race, with sweating. I did this for about an hour and a half then my fingers twitched for a while. It did the opposite, And kept me up! My Dr. told me that I had the less common adverse effects and not to take any more Lunesta.

November 1, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by kwbridges:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I suffer from spinal pain in the lumbar region. I receive Lumbar ESIs from my pain management doctor, but I never can get to sleep even with a good bed and pain medication. So he gave me some Lunesta samples and I finally slept like a baby in spite of my back pain. I still have a bulging disc and receive injections, but the best thing in the world is 3 mg of Lunesta for a great nights sleep! He wrote me a script and I take it every night now.

October 28, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by BobRobert:

Terrible insomnia, took the brand name for years and got sleep, on my second month of the generic and now its not working, At first the generic was working and I was groggier in the morning now a few weeks later I am not getting the knock out effect and waking after less than 5 hours last night I maybe slept 2 hours if at all...

October 24, 2014 9:42 AM

Review by happiness is not an illusion:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): My first taste of Lunesta was as part of a study to see if "sleep enhancements" lowered blood glucose levels. I don't know about that BUT, I immediately found that my former energy level was back and with that my high spirits as well. It was as though I had, for years, been sleep-walking through life and have been throughly awakened. My problem was not insomnia, rather poor quality of sleep. Like another commenter, my dreams are back and not just the ones that I have while I'm sleeping!

October 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Really bad insomnia, 40 years now. Lost marriage & job as result. Can't take Klonopin more than twice a week, or builds tolerance. Ambien (Zolpidem)--eh--too much causes sleepwalking, too little means up every 3 hours for next dose. Started 3mg Lunesta 1 week ago. 1st one, nothing. Waited 1 1/2 hours. 2nd one-same story. 3rd one--started-- to feel something, but still, no sleep. (4 hours have gone by) #4 put me to sleep for rest of night. Now take 3 all at once, sleep maybe 2 hours, than have to go for #4. Will start taking 4 all at once tonight. Insurance wouldn't pay (Sept 2014), $324 for 30, i.e., about $1400 a month. Can't afford that. Will dance between Klonopin, Ambien & Lunesta. (And/or nothing at all to keep Lunesta cost down).

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Tiadarlin:

Brand name Lunesta works like a charm. I get 8-10 hours of sleep a night. I have never built up a tolerance and I have never had episodes where I did not remember things if I didn't go to bed right away. I have fibromyalgia and REM sleep is very important. Last month I got the generic brand and I haven't had a good nights sleep since. I can't fall asleep at all. If I start to drift off my brain suddenly wakes up. I'm not even getting 2 hours of sleep a night and that is after laying there till it's almost time to get up and I take 2 muscle relaxers to get a little sleep. Now my pain is unbearable.

September 2, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by crazyukman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I use this medication during manic periods (I have Bipolar 2) when I sleep very little. It allows me to sleep for 6-8 hours which can be really helpful and help my symptoms. Like others, I have an unpleasant taste in the month next morning, but this is worth it for a good sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by sleepinglikeababy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Ten years ago I developed terrible insomnia. I am a lawyer, and getting 2-3 hours of restless sleep a night nearly ruined me. I was first on Ambien, which never gave me real rest. Eight years late, I am still taking 3 mg of Lunesta every night. I sleep 7-8 hours every night. I have never developed a tolerance to it, never had sleepwalking or other issues. In fact, on Lunesta, I dream! My sleep cycle is pretty much normal. This has given me ten years of steady sleep, with no real side-effects. When I go off it for a night or two, I have no major rebound issues. Lunesta has literally given me my life back, and the confidence I will sleep every night.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 12:53 AM

Review by apen (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): About 6 months with Lunseta at first it put me to sleep quickly but I would still wake up approximately 3 to 4 hrs later. I also am an occasional sleep walker, my Dr would not even consider Ambien. Sonato 10 did zilch for me. Unfortunately I have done sleep cooking on Lunesta with no memory. Almost a fire though. Now Lunesta barely puts me out even after taking time off last month because of cost. Sad and desperate for sleep!

February 26, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by zzzzzzzzzz:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): After taking the pill I get into bed expecting to be awake forever, however before I know it I am sound asleep. Usually sleep through the night, but not always. Interestingly the next day I am much calmer then usual. Not sure if it is because I finally got a good night sleep or if it is a side effect.

February 16, 2014 6:15 PM

Review by ceec23:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Lunesta...way better than Ambien. Ambient made me crazy, memory loss. Both in same class but Lunesta is my BUTTERFLY! A little melatonin. Great sleep..saved me. Oh and 1mg of Klonopin.

February 2, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by nrm (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I have been taking 1mg Lunesta for years. As in the ad, " ... works like a dream" for me. Went from 2-4 hours sleep a night to a solid 7-8hrs and it helped me retrain my sleep cycle. Lunesta seems to allow me to relax and fall asleep with no side effects. After about 6-8 years, slightly less, but still effective for me.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2013 9:09 PM

Review by deckerp:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): It's expensive but works. To bad my insurance won't cover it.

November 11, 2013 7:15 PM

Review by Crazy Diamon (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I have taken Lunesta 3mg for around 6-7 years. It takes about 45 minutes to make me start nodding off. I had the metal taste when I first started using it but don't have any problem with that for years. I got insomnia when I had a hysterectomy years back. I use to take Trazodone and it worked great but gave me a headache every morning. Be sure not to eat any snack near the time you take you take Lunesta that interferes with absorption and falling asleep time. I think it might make me a little more depressed. However, if i don't sleep I would be a raving loon! Nothing worse then laying awake and you head won't shut-up. I would like to be able to fall asleep without medication but it just doesn't happen without Lunesta.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by sleepwadneversosweet:

I finally decided that I'd suffered with insomnia for long enough and my doctor prescribed 5mg of generic zopiclone. I get the metallic taste shortly after taking it but I've learned to keep a small glass of OJ beside the bed. This medication has been my saving grace! I almost get excited when the metallic taste comes now because I know I'll be sleeping shortly thereafter! If you've suffered from insomnia like I have, a little metallic taste in your mouth is a SMALL PRICE TO PAY! I highly recommend zopiclone for insomnia!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2013 8:58 AM

Review by sleepinglikebaby:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): This is the only medicine that has really helped me. Love it but so expensive and insurance won't pay. Luckily my Dr. gives samples to tide me over until I can afford. Bad taste is worth the restful sleep.

September 27, 2013 12:08 AM

Review by jpruislaf:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Used it for one night, had nightmares all night, restless, tense, weird taste in my mouth....YIKES. Longer story: Used Ambien for almost a year then needed something to last all night. Had to try Lunesta before insurance would cover Ambien CR. Tried it for one night and it really was that bad. I was so happy to see it was time to wake up in the morning so it would stop.

August 30, 2013 4:01 PM

Review by KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I have really really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doc prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after awhile meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and if needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose.

June 28, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by RickinFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I have to be in bed by 8 pm to get a full nights sleep for work early the next morning. I've never been able to fall asleep that early on my own, but Lunesta has been awesome. It does not make me sleepy, but 15 minutes after taking it I lay down and just go to sleep. At first I found I would wake up 4 or 5 hours later, but my doctor recommended taking melatonin with Lunesta. Doing this (I take the 10mg time release melatonin) I sleep all night, easily wake up with the alarm clock, have no bad taste in my mouth, and am not groggy at all. I do not take it on nights where I do not have to get up early the next day.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2013 8:04 PM

Review by jillinthewoods (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Lunesta gave me the metallic taste and i only slept a few hours. Ambien gave me nightmares. I am now on an old one called Halcion but I never sleep through the night. Help needed or suggestions of something that might work without that awful taste the next day.

June 8, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by Sleep Solutions (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): I've had sleep disruption for many years. I took Ambien for years, now Lunesta. Gradually reduced from 3 mg to 0 mg, with zero problems. My mind was clearer. With new severe stress & sleep disruptions again, recently went back on Lunesta. Started with 1 mg, then 2 then 3. Trouble is, now still waking up after about 4 hours, then waking and sleeping throughout the next 4 hours. I also use Belleruth Naperstacks "Sleep" guided imagery CD to fall asleep and her "General Wellness" $ "Stress and Anxiety" in early morning or Jon Kabat Zinn's "Body Scan" during those 4 hours when my sleep is intermittent. I'm finding that I am sleepy and tired when I get out of bed now at 3 mg & feel overly medicated, yet it isn't working well after 4 hours.

May 9, 2013 3:28 AM

Review by Judy777 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): The only problem, besides the aftertaste, is that I find I need to go to bed within 10 minutes of taking the medicine or the sleepy effect just doesn't happen and I'm left tossing and turning the rest of the night.

March 26, 2013 3:32 PM

Review by TMAC2008:

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Wonderfully highly recommended

March 24, 2013 9:50 PM

Review by insom (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Lunesta is a wonderful medication; I have used it daily since 2006. It works just as well today as when I started. I fall asleep quickly and sleep the entire night. Waking up is no problem. The taste in the early mornings is there but I don't mind since this drug works so well. For those whom insurance doesn't cover, go to Lunesta website for coupon.

February 13, 2013 9:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Lunesta (eszopiclone): Works great I love it.

January 2, 2013 4:43 PM