User Reviews for Nexium

Learn more about Nexium.

Nexium review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Nexium to treat GERD

Review by swisschz:

I been taking Zegrid and Prilosec for years. I'm one week into Nexium and I feel way better! Whenever I drink something I feel awesome. No more little bit of discomfort. I'm amazed! Haven't had GERD, gas blockage in my chest or gall bladder. I feel like normal drinking cold and warm. I haven tried a soda yet but I did have a half a beer and the bubbles did not bother me at all! It's been years since 2007. I'm so happy and Nexium I thank you.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Bury5 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The medicine works great but gives me headache, diaharrea, and nausea upon waking.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by angel16830 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was on Prevacid for over a year. All of a sudden it stopped working. Tried Protonix, all I can say is never again. So then Dr. prescribed Nexium 40mg, been on it for about week, so far so good. No side effects that I can tell and acid is definitely under control.

September 11, 2013 1:45 AM

Review by Better Gut (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been on Nexium off and on for about ten years now. Depending how it was covered under my insurance, I had to go off it at times since it was not covered. I have tried Protronix, Prilosec, Prevacid (30 mg daily and 30mg 2x a day). Prevacid gave me horrible diarrhea. Nexium has been the best. My latest insurance company wanted me to try Dexilant for a month before covering Nexium. Basically one 60 mg Dexilant is like taking two 30mg Prevacids. Didn't do anything but give me a cold after a month, and lots of diarrhea. I always come back to the Nexium. When things improve I ween off it taking it once every other day for a while to get off of it. I have been getting my calcium and magnesium levels check every 6 months, always normal.

April 24, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by RMiller95 (taken for less than 1 month):

After suffering since 2008 a trip to the Emergency room Thanksgiving 2012 resulted in a prescription for Nexium. It has been a life saver, I have been on it less then a week. After having episodes of throwing up at least 5 times a week during the night and heartburn daily my throat was raw and I constantly had issues. It has been amazing to be able to again eat what I want without the repercussions. I was afraid to try it because of the cost pre-insurance but I printed a online discount card and used my insurance and it was very affordable and not to mention I am able to sleep through the night without having my head elevated and the other issues I was having. I have 7 ulcers diagnosed in 2008 and haven't had an issue all week. I LOVE NEXIUM!

December 4, 2012 2:35 PM

I've had GERD since I was 14 and I had tried all sorts of OTC and prescription medicines. Most of them worked ok, but I would still have to pop a few Tums before I went to bed. After starting on Nexium I feel great! I've yet to have any signs of heartburn and I haven't had any side effects. This is the most expensive prescription I've had but the cost is well worth it.

November 18, 2012 12:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Side effects increased over time, arrythmia, chest pain and muscle twitching.

November 10, 2012 7:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Little to no heartburn after taking Nexium for 3 days now but high blood pressure, tingly cramps in my stomach that bring me to the verge of throwing up, light headache, difficulty sleeping, throats constrictive. Not sure if I can keep taking Nexium.

July 6, 2012 9:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started with really bad nausea and sick to my stomach when I went to my GI doctor I was diagnosed with due densities and chronic gastritis. I was so sick with nausea twenty four seven I literally felt like I was going to die. I actually told my GI to prescribe me Nexium 40 mg. My GI was hesitant but I insisted took it for a about a month and half and on my second endoscopy my chronic gastritis had gone down to mild gastritis and the nausea is almost gone. Nexium really helped me I don't know about the side effects since I took it at night. But the nausea was still persistent it's just now going away. I can tell you this is one of the best medicines. Stops the acid production by 95 percent something I had to find out on my own. Good luck.

June 22, 2012 2:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Very effective. No heartburn or difficulty swallowing, or other symptoms during therapy.

June 21, 2012 1:11 AM

Nexium was moderately effective at reducing my GERD symptoms, but the side effects made it not worth taking. I had trouble sleeping, felt very lethargic and fatigued, found it difficult to think through complex problems (which, in my job, is a serious concern). I felt constantly run-down and had no energy, but could not get a good night's sleep.

February 27, 2012 4:56 AM

Review by tomas090:

I am selecting GERD only because I can't get a correct diagnosis. Been taking Prilosec, Prevacid etc with no help, symptoms include pain that mimicked heart attack, anything I eat feels "Stuck" halfway down esophagus, vomiting almost everything I eat or drink, night time is a horror; acid runs right up into nose and vomit 4-5 times per night Nexium almost immediately stopped all symptoms with no side effects I'm not a Doctor but all I can say is it has been a miracle for me

February 17, 2012 10:28 AM

I have had GERD since I was 19 years. For some reason I eat Ketchup with everything. I am 31 now. I've use Nexium in the past and my acid reflux always went away. Recently I've had upper back pains, cold chills, stomach and heart burns and the worse belly pain ever after I ate. The doctor sent me for a blood test which came back negative for any infections. I was placed on Nexium. Within 2 days I felt much better. I would recommend this for anyone. Wish I tried it before I did the ultrasound of my kidney, liver and gallbladder together with a chest x ray. I guess you got to pay a high price for a good product like Nexium. But I don't mind. I feel much better now.

February 12, 2012 4:15 PM

It worked great but made me really dizzy. Has anyone experienced this?

January 31, 2012 12:14 PM

Review by mygerd:

Over the years I have taken it "as needed". I try to control the acid reflux by watching what I eat. Mayo, Chocolate, mints, tomato sauces really set it off. Sometimes I forget. I try to take it as infrequently as possible because I have heard it may be responsible for decreasing bone density (I"m 69) and there may be other side effects. I was averaging one every 4-5 days. If I'm very careful can go longer, but sometimes I want to splurge. Today I refilled a prescription and noticed it was for "DR" delayed release. Anxious to see if there is any difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 4:05 PM

Why wasn't I given this sooner.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2011 7:20 PM

It is the only medicine for reflux that works for me. Right now I am on a different medicine because my insurance won't pay for it and I even have trouble eating basic foods (with a good reflux medicine you should only have problems when you make a really wrong food choice; not normal food at normal times). The same insurance has paid for it for 3 years and now I since the end of June, I have been having to go through too much red tape to get Nexium, that works for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2011 2:38 PM

Worked great now I am forced to take something else because my new insurance will NOT cover it at all.

June 18, 2011 12:40 AM

Review by maneysm:

This medication worked great, but insurance doesn't cover, can't afford anymore. Too bad now have to take something else.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2011 9:00 PM

Review by choctawokie:

Nexium is great. Pantoprazole (Protonix) also works just as good.

April 10, 2011 9:23 AM

Review by Jeremy S:

After 3 days on Nexium my reflux is completely gone. But I now have nausea, body aches, constant mild headache, rash, tiredness, dizziness and worst ever stomach cramps.

February 17, 2011 7:37 AM

Review by len_d77:

I have been taking Nexium every morning for a few years now and I never get Heartburn. I can eat and drink anything that would usually cause Heartburn past.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2010 10:10 AM

I have taken NEXIUM for about 10 yrs. It works so good! Though the last 6 months I have used tums also. But the insurance says it isn't for acid reflux and won't let me have any more. Having a lot of trouble finding something that works! I want my Nexium back, it hurts so bad all of the time, even just a glass of water makes me hurt.

May 15, 2010 7:05 PM

Review by MonteKat:

I started taking Nexium for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Found it helped keeping Rosacea under control. What a wonderful "side-effect"

April 21, 2010 8:49 PM

Review by Elena1:

Diagnosed with acid hitting my throat (LPR). Have a small stomach hernia that is not allowing sphichter to close. It was a rough 6 month till I was diagnosed. 3 Doctors insisted I had allergies. Found another Doctor that finally that advised I had "silent acid reflux". Have cut out all the usual foods that cause more acid but in my case, my ears hurt (they tell me you have lots of nerves through the throat that go up to the ears and sinuses). Symptoms are: burning ears, flaring up through the sinuses, pain in the back of the neck up through the top of the back of my head. Have been on Nexium for 3 months. It helped but flaring returns 10-50%. Have come off Nexium to do the tests on how my GI is working. Nexium helped but lots of side effects.

March 6, 2010 7:34 AM