User Reviews for Nexium

Learn more about Nexium.

Nexium Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Nexium to treat GERD

"Wake up people. Google Nexium deaths for a real eye opener. I admit I took Nexium too long, over a year. The bad side effects came along gradually, and worsened as time went on. That is the only daily pharmaceutical drug I took. I did take vitamins frequently. First, pressure to go to the bathroom was noticed. I was checked for a UTI which was negative. I developed screaming migraine headaches which at 64 I had never had. When acute mouth dryness occurred, I thought I was diabetic for sure. I developed both dull pain in the kidney areas, and an aching under the shoulder blades. Bowel movements were slow, and difficult. I developed puffy spots under the eyes, and several doctors told me it was allergies which was frustrating. It was Nexium."

AndeA April 2, 2016

"other meds had moderate success in treating my symptoms, Nexium has been 100% effective for me."

joe224 February 29, 2016

"I have been taking 40mg of Nexium twice a day for about a year. Prior to that I was taking a single 40mg dose per day, however I began to have more problems with acid reflux. I began to lose my voice and had frequent chest pains. The doctor doubled my dose and it seems to have helped. No more chest pains and my voice is normal again. I did everything the doctor suggested, I don't eat or drink things that would make it worse. I elevated my bed, stopped drinking coffee, etc. Now seeing reports on television how taking Nexium for long periods can increase the risk of heart attacks, heart failure, and now dementia, my concern level is high. I'm just wondering what other people have done to help cut back on Nexium. thank you."

Douglas Silverado February 17, 2016

"I have never in my life felt so horrible than what I do now. I have taken this med for 4 days , I have been nauseous everyday, diarrhea and my stomach hurts gas etc... I can not believe this med would make me feel this way when it is supposed to help. Maybe some people do well on it but I can not do this anymore. I feel worse than what I did when I started it. I will just go back to taking my generic Famotidine everyday. It works and works right away. I don't even care at this point that Famotidine doesn't heal, it just mask the symptoms. I don't care! I just know no more Nexium for me . It can all burn!! Like the feeling I have in my stomach right now from taking it. Thanks for letting me give my honest review. G'Day"

Ash d January 18, 2016

"This drug has been more effective than Axid,, Acefix and Prilosec"

Palsey October 30, 2015

"I took one dose and 30 minutes later I was in real trouble! Rash, itching, tachycardia, abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, chills, etc."

Jessie Ann September 24, 2015

"I have been on Nexium for several years and it works well for me. However, my last bone density test showed some bone loss. My blood tests revealed low vitamin D, now taking supplements. This morning my Dr.'s office called and said I need to come off Nexium, extended use can cause Reflux Acidity that worsens the condition. Waiting to hear what he recommends. Will be coming off Nexium. "

TommieT September 1, 2015

"Nexium has been very effective in resolving my Acid Reflux. I have been taking the medication for over five years, and now have to stop the medication. My bone density test showed third statistical deviation (3T) which reports that I have osteoporosis. I have been taking calcium and supplements with exercise for almost all my life, and it's hard to believe I have this disease. Nexium blocks the absorption by the body, thus the problem."

AMBIE3 July 30, 2015

"I have now been using Nexium 24 for only 4 days but I am seeing the effects already! I have been able to enjoy many foods I have had to avoid in the past with little to no burn. I absolutely have hope that Nexium is the answer to all my problems and that in time it will eliminate the problems all together. I was lucky enough to receive my Nexium free from a mission and now I'm a dedicated customer. Thank you so much for this awesome product!"

AshleyHarris1987 July 28, 2015

"Although it seems to work for my mother, for me I had weird symptoms. I was only on the generic brand for 5 days before I had to stop taking the pills. I did not notice any difference to my actual reflux, but apparently it heals your esophagus and reduces the amount of acid. My symptoms included: Complete exhaustion even though I was getting the same amount of sleep and doing the same things during the day as before, I constantly had a dull ache in my stomach, I had a muscle spasm in my left arm for 2 days straight, constipation, feeling sick and completely unmotivated to do anything, I lost my appetite and hardly ate at all, I was easily hurting myself from barely moving (mostly in my back), extremely weak, headache, and swollen lips"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

"This works amazing. I have been on it for about 20 years. My GERD is gone, but all my bones shattered when I fell of bed. This drug makes your bones brittle like uncooked ziti."

Ralph E Cakes July 18, 2015

"I was prescribed Nexium after 4 months of trying every other prescription med out there, following 4 months of severe Gerd/ silent reflux symptoms. Within the first 2 days of taking Nexium the lump feeling in my throat started to go away. I am taking 40 mg of the TEVA generic Nexium and so far I feel way better. Hopefully it lasts. I was on Dexilant before 60mg once a day and it gave me about 50% symptom relief. Nexium is the best PPI I have tried for sure and I would recommend to anyone."

Anonymous June 3, 2015

"After weeks medication notice severe mood change, very irritable."

rawls May 21, 2015

"I suffered severe pain from GERD that I had to be hospitalized. The next day I bought the Nexium 24hr, not because I saw it was the top selling brand at Walmart, but because my mom said to get Prilosec lol. Anyway, within minutes the pain from my GERD disappeared. One con I've had so far though. The medicine states 24hrs, for me it's roughly 18-20 hrs and I start feeling the acid again. So keep that in mind."

Paul Bu. March 8, 2015

"I've been taking Nexium for about 18 years now. I suffered bad heartburn/reflux etc,, that was partly to do with 'trigger' foods I ate. Over the years I learned to avoid those foods, & I started on Nexium. This medicine reduced my severe heartburn/reflux from maybe each second night when I wasn't taking it, to only about 2 times a month when I was taking it, so overall, over 18 years, Nexium made a huge difference to my life. From having to sit upright till 4am in bed till the pain went away & I could finally lie down (without Nexium) to getting a good sleep most nights (with Nexium). I do thoroughly recommend Nexium to anyone who can take it. Tip - AVOID Trigger foods! some are - chocolate, cream, oily foods, chickpeas, horseradish, mustard."

Another Anon (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2014

"I have been using Miralax and psyllium every night for about a year and wanted to try Linzess, but my doctor was hesitant to let me try it. Possible side effects. Anyway, after some research, I realized the Nexium I have been using causes a Magnesium deficiency. So now I take a multi-mineral capsule and a 500mg Magnesium capsule 3 times a day with meals. I have been able to cut back on my prescribed medications and have some hope that I will be able to get off them completely by adjusting my mineral intake. Try this, because your bowels cannot function without enough minerals."

Johnin Portland (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 9, 2014

"I have been on Nexium for probably 10 years now and it works well. I can really notice a difference if I run out or take something else..the problem is the cost of this medication is outrageous!"

longtimeer (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2014

"I been taking Zegrid and Prilosec for years. I'm one week into Nexium and I feel way better! Whenever I drink something I feel awesome. No more little bit of discomfort. I'm amazed! Haven't had GERD, gas blockage in my chest or gall bladder. I feel like normal drinking cold and warm. I haven tried a soda yet but I did have a half a beer and the bubbles did not bother me at all! It's been years since 2007. I'm so happy and Nexium I thank you."

swisschz June 9, 2014

"The medicine works great but gives me headache, diaharrea, and nausea upon waking."

Bury5 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2014

"Was on Prevacid for over a year. All of a sudden it stopped working. Tried Protonix, all I can say is never again. So then Dr. prescribed Nexium 40mg, been on it for about week, so far so good. No side effects that I can tell and acid is definitely under control."

angel16830 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2013

"I've been on Nexium off and on for about ten years now. Depending how it was covered under my insurance, I had to go off it at times since it was not covered. I have tried Protronix, Prilosec, Prevacid (30 mg daily and 30mg 2x a day). Prevacid gave me horrible diarrhea. Nexium has been the best. My latest insurance company wanted me to try Dexilant for a month before covering Nexium. Basically one 60 mg Dexilant is like taking two 30mg Prevacids. Didn't do anything but give me a cold after a month, and lots of diarrhea. I always come back to the Nexium. When things improve I ween off it taking it once every other day for a while to get off of it. I have been getting my calcium and magnesium levels check every 6 months, always normal."

Better Gut (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2013

"After suffering since 2008 a trip to the Emergency room Thanksgiving 2012 resulted in a prescription for Nexium. It has been a life saver, I have been on it less then a week. After having episodes of throwing up at least 5 times a week during the night and heartburn daily my throat was raw and I constantly had issues. It has been amazing to be able to again eat what I want without the repercussions. I was afraid to try it because of the cost pre-insurance but I printed a online discount card and used my insurance and it was very affordable and not to mention I am able to sleep through the night without having my head elevated and the other issues I was having. I have 7 ulcers diagnosed in 2008 and haven't had an issue all week. I LOVE NEXIUM!"

RMiller95 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2012

"I've had GERD since I was 14 and I had tried all sorts of OTC and prescription medicines. Most of them worked ok, but I would still have to pop a few Tums before I went to bed. After starting on Nexium I feel great! I've yet to have any signs of heartburn and I haven't had any side effects. This is the most expensive prescription I've had but the cost is well worth it."

Anonymous November 18, 2012

"Side effects increased over time, arrythmia, chest pain and muscle twitching."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2012

"Little to no heartburn after taking Nexium for 3 days now but high blood pressure, tingly cramps in my stomach that bring me to the verge of throwing up, light headache, difficulty sleeping, throats constrictive. Not sure if I can keep taking Nexium."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2012