User Reviews for Esomeprazole

Also known as: Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV

Learn more about Esomeprazole.

Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis 0 reviews 42 medications

GERD 49 reviews 208 medications

8.7
Erosive Esophagitis 4 reviews 111 medications

8.1
Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Esomeprazole reviews 66 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Esomeprazole

Review by longtimeer (taken for 10 years or more):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I have been on Nexium for probably 10 years now and it works well. I can really notice a difference if I run out or take something else..the problem is the cost of this medication is outrageous!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 12:50 AM

Review by swisschz:

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I been taking Zegrid and Prilosec for years. I'm one week into Nexium and I feel way better! Whenever I drink something I feel awesome. No more little bit of discomfort. I'm amazed! Haven't had GERD, gas blockage in my chest or gall bladder. I feel like normal drinking cold and warm. I haven tried a soda yet but I did have a half a beer and the bubbles did not bother me at all! It's been years since 2007. I'm so happy and Nexium I thank you.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Elgrodo:

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I have taken Nexium for over 12 years. I have had a low Magnesium problem for 10 years and severe dry mouth for 3 years. My Doctor wants me to continue with Nexium but I cannot continue. The Mag problem is very serious and I have had emergency doses of Mag to get my levels back up. The dry mouth is causing me to have numerous Dental problems. I really have to quit Nexium.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Bury5 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: The medicine works great but gives me headache, diaharrea, and nausea upon waking.

April 13, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by angel16830 (taken for less than 1 month):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Was on Prevacid for over a year. All of a sudden it stopped working. Tried Protonix, all I can say is never again. So then Dr. prescribed Nexium 40mg, been on it for about week, so far so good. No side effects that I can tell and acid is definitely under control.

September 11, 2013 1:45 AM

Review by Silverfoxx:

For Barrett's Esophagus: Been taking Nexium 40 mg for ten years for Barrett's Esophagus. I have tried all the other proton pump inhibitor's on the market and nothing works as well. Even though my insurance will not cover it, I pay out of pocket because it's that good. No side effects at all. Best taken upon wake up 30 mins prior to any food intake. I also take a 75 mg Zantac at bedtime to insure no reflux while sleeping. Perfect combination. I have absolutely no issues and a stable endoscopy throughout my course of treatment. Hope this helps.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2013 1:57 PM

Review by grasshopper (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I was on Nexium for more than 4 years and the Barrett's esophagus that I have has been stable. I believe that Nexium has healing properties, but change in diet has to come with it. My husband's insurance now refuses to pay for it because it is supposedly for short term.

May 5, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by Better Gut (taken for 10 years or more):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I've been on Nexium off and on for about ten years now. Depending how it was covered under my insurance, I had to go off it at times since it was not covered. I have tried Protronix, Prilosec, Prevacid (30 mg daily and 30mg 2x a day). Prevacid gave me horrible diarrhea. Nexium has been the best. My latest insurance company wanted me to try Dexilant for a month before covering Nexium. Basically one 60 mg Dexilant is like taking two 30mg Prevacids. Didn't do anything but give me a cold after a month, and lots of diarrhea. I always come back to the Nexium. When things improve I ween off it taking it once every other day for a while to get off of it. I have been getting my calcium and magnesium levels check every 6 months, always normal.

April 24, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by fritzburger (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: Constipation the worst on this medication.

January 9, 2013 11:55 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: I have been on this medicine for about three years with good effect. My problem has cleared up. However, for the last week I have woken at about 1.30 am with severe heartburn so obviously the medication no longer is working.

December 8, 2012 9:04 PM

Review by RMiller95 (taken for less than 1 month):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: After suffering since 2008 a trip to the Emergency room Thanksgiving 2012 resulted in a prescription for Nexium. It has been a life saver, I have been on it less then a week. After having episodes of throwing up at least 5 times a week during the night and heartburn daily my throat was raw and I constantly had issues. It has been amazing to be able to again eat what I want without the repercussions. I was afraid to try it because of the cost pre-insurance but I printed a online discount card and used my insurance and it was very affordable and not to mention I am able to sleep through the night without having my head elevated and the other issues I was having. I have 7 ulcers diagnosed in 2008 and haven't had an issue all week. I LOVE NEXIUM!

December 4, 2012 2:35 PM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I've had GERD since I was 14 and I had tried all sorts of OTC and prescription medicines. Most of them worked ok, but I would still have to pop a few Tums before I went to bed. After starting on Nexium I feel great! I've yet to have any signs of heartburn and I haven't had any side effects. This is the most expensive prescription I've had but the cost is well worth it.

November 18, 2012 12:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Side effects increased over time, arrythmia, chest pain and muscle twitching.

November 10, 2012 7:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Little to no heartburn after taking Nexium for 3 days now but high blood pressure, tingly cramps in my stomach that bring me to the verge of throwing up, light headache, difficulty sleeping, throats constrictive. Not sure if I can keep taking Nexium.

July 6, 2012 9:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I started with really bad nausea and sick to my stomach when I went to my GI doctor I was diagnosed with due densities and chronic gastritis. I was so sick with nausea twenty four seven I literally felt like I was going to die. I actually told my GI to prescribe me Nexium 40 mg. My GI was hesitant but I insisted took it for a about a month and half and on my second endoscopy my chronic gastritis had gone down to mild gastritis and the nausea is almost gone. Nexium really helped me I don't know about the side effects since I took it at night. But the nausea was still persistent it's just now going away. I can tell you this is one of the best medicines. Stops the acid production by 95 percent something I had to find out on my own. Good luck.

June 22, 2012 2:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Very effective. No heartburn or difficulty swallowing, or other symptoms during therapy.

June 21, 2012 1:11 AM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Nexium was moderately effective at reducing my GERD symptoms, but the side effects made it not worth taking. I had trouble sleeping, felt very lethargic and fatigued, found it difficult to think through complex problems (which, in my job, is a serious concern). I felt constantly run-down and had no energy, but could not get a good night's sleep.

February 27, 2012 4:56 AM

Review by tomas090:

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I am selecting GERD only because I can't get a correct diagnosis. Been taking Prilosec, Prevacid etc with no help, symptoms include pain that mimicked heart attack, anything I eat feels "Stuck" halfway down esophagus, vomiting almost everything I eat or drink, night time is a horror; acid runs right up into nose and vomit 4-5 times per night Nexium almost immediately stopped all symptoms with no side effects I'm not a Doctor but all I can say is it has been a miracle for me

February 17, 2012 10:28 AM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: I had been taking Nexium for about the last 10 years. While taking it, I had no problems at all. Prior to taking Nexium, I had difficulties with acid reflux even from something so simple as eating a slice of bread.

February 15, 2012 2:09 PM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: I have had GERD since I was 19 years. For some reason I eat Ketchup with everything. I am 31 now. I've use Nexium in the past and my acid reflux always went away. Recently I've had upper back pains, cold chills, stomach and heart burns and the worse belly pain ever after I ate. The doctor sent me for a blood test which came back negative for any infections. I was placed on Nexium. Within 2 days I felt much better. I would recommend this for anyone. Wish I tried it before I did the ultrasound of my kidney, liver and gallbladder together with a chest x ray. I guess you got to pay a high price for a good product like Nexium. But I don't mind. I feel much better now.

February 12, 2012 4:15 PM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: It worked great but made me really dizzy. Has anyone experienced this?

January 31, 2012 12:14 PM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for : I had two instances of stomach pain last year. I was administered Gas X and subsequently I was put on Nexium. After taking Nexium for 60 days I get relief but if I don't control diet I feel like having stomach pain again two months after discontinuing Nexium. I have gallstones. Nexium seems to work well to ward off stomach pain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2012 7:43 AM

Review by mygerd:

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Over the years I have taken it "as needed". I try to control the acid reflux by watching what I eat. Mayo, Chocolate, mints, tomato sauces really set it off. Sometimes I forget. I try to take it as infrequently as possible because I have heard it may be responsible for decreasing bone density (I"m 69) and there may be other side effects. I was averaging one every 4-5 days. If I'm very careful can go longer, but sometimes I want to splurge. Today I refilled a prescription and noticed it was for "DR" delayed release. Anxious to see if there is any difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 4:05 PM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: This has been wonderful for me. No more excessive belching and burning and the pain in my chest has almost gone with the first treatment. I'm not scared to eat some of my favorite foods anymore.

December 16, 2011 6:42 AM

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: Why wasn't I given this sooner.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate