User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Review by FinallyHopeful: User Rating:

All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 2:41 PM
Review by MStetzer: User Rating:

Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM
Review by AngryGerbil: User Rating:

I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM
Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM
Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 3:22 PM
Review by LivingAgainAndHappy: User Rating:

I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM
Review by MM2x: User Rating:

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2014 7:47 PM
Review by Poshbird1971 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I used to be on 200mg of sertraline but after 12 years on this medicine I started having severe problems with anxiety after a good friend's death, this eventually led to a near breakdown 3 years later when my anxiety became so bad I could barely function. My Dr suggested I switch to escitalopram. I was terrified of making this switch & put it off for weeks but eventually decided to 'take the plunge'. 4 days later and my anxiety levels are already reducing HUGELY! I wish I'd taken this sooner & can't believe how easy the switch was. I literally stopped taking my 200mg of sertraline one day and started taking 20mg of escitalopram the next. This stuff's a life saver!

January 25, 2014 11:59 PM
Review by Wildalaska: User Rating:

I love Lexapro! It helps me stop drinking, lose weight and I have way less anxiety now. For all those people that have sexual dysfunction, try taking it at night right before bed, after sex. I have no problems in that area now!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 19, 2013 8:31 PM
Review by ermology: User Rating:

Good but gave me runs and gas.

December 14, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by ashz30 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I suffer from hypochondria and panic disorder. I was so afraid to take medication. After 2 years I finally took Cipralex. It has made my anxiety a lot more tolerable. I've had a few major panic attacks but overall good experience. I've been on 20mg for 2 years.

December 10, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by N.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am a 26 year old who has had anxiety since I was a child. I've gone through rough spots on and off throughout my life where I would feel extremely anxious and nauseous all of the time. I finally decided to do something about it when I started experiencing panic attacks on top of it all. Lexapro along with seeing a psychologist saved my life. I went into this knowing there is no "magic" pill out there - I still have good and bad days like everyone, but NOTHING like how bad I felt before. When I initially began taking the medicine, it made my anxiety worse - I told my doctor and he adjusted the dosage to a smaller amount. I felt tremendously better in just about a week, and have continued to feel better and better.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 30, 2013 6:28 PM
Review by djdaekfugy: User Rating:

I am a 30 year old female who has suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life and it got worse after I had my daughter. Two years after she was born, I couldnt take it anymore and I had to get help. I talked to my doctor and was put on Lexapro, 10 mg. I hated it at first. I was dizzy and "swimmy" feeling, couldnt sleep, couldnt eat, felt out of it, couldn't care less about things that were going on. This only lasted about a week! Then, I could gradually feel myself getting used to it. My next appt, my dosage was upped to 20 mg (he started me on 10 because he wanted to ease me into it knowing I was a mom and worked full time; i still needed to function). Let me just say that Lexapro SAVED MY LIFE!! I love it and swear by it!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 18, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by flipp: User Rating:

Life saver for my anxiety

November 4, 2013 8:49 AM
Review by Nettle (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Worked wonders for stabilising my mood - and my ability to leave the house! Been taking it for about two years now. only thing I find is it starts to 'wear off' after a few months. My doctor has me come off them for a month and then go back on when this happens and I find this much more effective than upping the dose. Main side effect for me has been insomnia. A small price to pay for the huge positive impact Lexapro has made on my life.

October 10, 2013 7:20 PM
Review by Mike2014: User Rating:

I got sick from it, diarrhea. I started having ear trouble and started hallucinating.

October 2, 2013 6:03 PM
Review by sassypantsej: User Rating:

I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for about 6 years. I am so thankful for this medication. I am a crying weepy mess without it!

September 24, 2013 11:35 AM
Review by Berrier2: User Rating:

I've been taking Lexapro for 2 months now for depression and panic attacks, which seem to come from nowhere (and I've never truly understood how scary a panic attack could be until that moment). It has helped me tremendously! Suddenly this last week the side effects which had seemed to taper, have returned. I have the addition of a headache (which I did not have in the beginning) and irritability. I'm also noticeably more tired than I was before. I am now taking the Lexapro in the evening instead of in the morning to help with sleep - but am curious if it is normal to have the side effects go in waves? It seemed as if they were mostly gone except for the lethargy, now they are increasing.

September 23, 2013 5:53 PM
Review by nervousnick (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

If you're suffering, you need to fix you! This medication is the most important thing to ever happen in my life. I went from a nervous, neurotic, obsessional wreck, to calm, cool and in-control dude - and I only take 5-10 mg (I'm 6' 4"). Over the last seven years, I've taken it on average 1-2 months out of the year - only when needed and never more than 6-8 weeks. I prefer not to be on anything, but when my health and business decline because of my mood, I immediately break the safety glass and reach for the Lexapro. And if for some reason Lexapro doesn't work for you, work with your doctor to find the right medicine so you can feel better. (I've tried 6 different medicines, we all have different chemistries - never give up.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 16, 2013 5:30 AM
Review by stlgirl30: User Rating:

I was prescribed Lexapro about a month ago. Initially I was sleepy all the time but I took it at night and now the only side effect is difficulty reaching an orgasm. I love this medicine! I was having several panic attacks a day and since being on 20mg/night I'm back to myself! I'm going to continue. It's like my own "Happy Pill".

September 6, 2013 5:56 PM
Review by Feelin like my old self (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have had some difficulty with anxiety and depression. I started taking Zoloft in January after a family crisis triggered my anxiety. I was on Zoloft for 8 months, but it stopped working and was making my jaw tense and causing me to grind my teeth. My doctor switched me to Lexapro, and I started at 5mg. I stayed on the 5 mg until my follow-up appointment. The 5 mg starter dosage was not very effective for me. This is my 3rd day on 10 mg of Lexapro. I feel like my old self. I don't shovel food into my face or feel bloated like I did with the Zoloft. I have my old sense of humor back. So far, I have not experienced any sexual side effects, but I noticed that Lexapro is causing a small amount of facial acne. Thumps UP!

August 29, 2013 2:09 PM
Review by picmic: User Rating:

I have been taking Lexapro for approx. three months, 10 mg/day. It has helped a great deal to reduce my anxiety and depression. I still have good days and not so good, but rarely fall back to where I was (sounds like many people on this have experience the same). I agree it has some side effects, but when you consider the benefit, its well worth it.

August 22, 2013 9:08 AM
Review by JaneKatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was on Lexapro 10mg and Abilify 10 mg for about 5 months, and overall it helped with my anxiety. I didn't feel as stressed at work and school, but it kind of made me a zombie. I haven't cried in 5 months, and I hardly feel any emotions. Which I guess is good for people suffering from depression. It completely killed my sex drive so I went to my doctor the other day and switched prescriptions. Currently withdrawing from this medication and it sucks. Getting light-headed and dizzy and vomited a lot the other day.

August 8, 2013 8:45 PM
Review by ecb1980: User Rating:

Definitely improving my life. I'm less stressed at work and life with the kids is easier. Some social settings (crowds) still bothersome, but I'm getting there. One of the pages I read warned about caffeine intake, they weren't kidding. I cut out caffeine and it lessened my mood swings. Please read about interactions with other medicines when you start something new, it makes a difference!

August 6, 2013 7:57 AM