User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 192 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

"Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

"Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

"I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

"Been on this medicine for around 5 weeks, 10 mg. Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I have finally got myself out of the darker place I was before. So glad that it's working, and I'm feeling better day to day. Still some anxiety but I can deal with it, depression is completely gone, I can socialize no problem. terrific"

CalPAL March 22, 2016

"Lexapro (or the Escitalopram version in my country) was almost immediately successful in treating my anxiety and extreme rage issues. I've been using it for 8 months, but experience one major side-effect: constant tiredness or lethargy. I've tried taking it at other times during the day, but no change. I sleep really well at night, have vivid dreams, am more creative and able to solve problems - if I can stay awake during the day. Get really drowsy two hours after taking this and can easily nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I'm no longer a bitch, but also no longer awake. So will have to choose between being mentally sharp or being anxious and angry all the time."

Nottheearlybird (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

"Lexapro changed my life for the better! I had anxiety and needed help. My doctor put me on 15 mg lexapro and the first month was not fun as my body was getting used to the drug. I had dry mouth, sweating and problems sleeping but after a month the side effects went away and I feel normal again. I bumped it down to 10 mg and have been on it for 2 years"

Amy 1530 March 10, 2016

"Began 10mg daily. First day was difficult. Severe mood swings, heightened anxiety, baseless anger, etc. Advise anyone beginning this to 1) begin on a day off and 2) have someone around to keep an eye on you. That ended at the second day, when I only took half-pills. Now that I am a week in, taking the full 10mg and things settling down nicely. Yawning is annoying and my normal night-owl life is riddled with deep, restful sleep, but I am calmer and less angry all the time."

J. Scott H. March 8, 2016

"I've been taking Lexapro for about 8 months now and it has done me wonders! I have not once had an anxiety attack since, and it has helped me with my depression as well! I highly recommend it!"

HarmonyLacee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2016

""I was given Lexapro from my Psych recommended by my therapist for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally for many yrs by faith workingout meditation yoga and eating healthy. I am 37 suffering with severe panic-anxiety attacks which started while I was pregnant and involved DV with the dad who is a angel dust addict. I was always against taking any kind of meds not even for a headache so the thought of taking a drug everyday was scary I was diagnose with PTSD and anxiety. Its early since I just took my first dose last night and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness this morning even though I slept 8hrs when I was only sleeping 3-4 at most. I still feel very anxious I will check-in 2-3 wks"

Miraclesoul777 March 2, 2016

"Feeling alive again but still having panick attacks. I've been on 10mg for the past month but I noticed every time I have drinks, the next day I have nasty pânic attacks. They are awful. Its been only a month. Does it get better after 2 months. I like this medicine, I feel alive again. I wanna jump out of my bed and go to the gym at 6am like before! I haven't felt like this in a year! Before all I wanted to do was sleep and stay attached to my bed. I love this med but i think I'll need to upper the dose for my anxiety. :'("

Xuxuzeti (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"Omg my expiriance with lexapro was hell. Doc started me of with 10mg and first day I took it after and hour started feeling it it was worse anxiety I've ever experienced and it was just getting worse. After suffering for about 5 hours I had to go to the ER. They had to wheel me in because I almost passed out. I was given 2 mg oh Ativan and Benadryl and was out bearly remember anything until the next morning. I don't know but that was my expiriance."

Jc32 (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2016

"Did more harm than good. Suicidal ideation regularly even after taken for 4 months. Stomach problems, increased anxiety; and depression onset when I had none prior."

Johnny Jo February 15, 2016

"I remember reading all these reviews before I took it because I was so scared of the side effects that I might get so I thought I would review it. I know everyone reacts differently but so far this medication has been great. It has slowed down those over thinking anxious feeling's a lot! The side effects were minor. Mild digestive problems, occasional yawning episodes (a bit annoying). The one that is probably the biggest issue is the complete loss of appetite, I just feel like drinking a lot of water. I don't feel hungry and have lost 2kg in the 3 weeks I have been on it. I am hoping in time these side effects will eventually go away. They are pretty mild and something I can put up with since it is helping me with my anxiety."

Dianne711 February 10, 2016

"Changed my life. Quiets the irrational fears and depression that accompany anxiety disorder. Taking 10mg/daily. Weight gain but could also be because I'm happy and eating again. Also sleep great and feel calm. No sexual side effects. Stay with it for 6-8 weeks. If it doesn't work for you, try another medication until you find the one that clicks. Don't give up!"

NoMoAnxiety February 5, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given Lexapro from my GP for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally the past two years with various techniques to no avail. My panic symptoms were with me everyday and often suffered panic attack episodes. Made it extremely difficult to do everyday type stuff let alone work. I was always drug resistant..the kind of person who wouldn't even want to take a headache med so the thought of a drug therapy I would do everyday was scary. Anyhow, its early on less than two weeks and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness first week. I feel less anxious already, no attacks and my thoughts aren't looping in my head anymore. I'm hoping it continues to get better!"

Swainer February 4, 2016

"Stay away from this drug! Or at least if you have had my experience. My side effects was that I had very painful armpit boils. Never before in my life had I had them. I researched signs and symptoms online, and found Lexapro could cause them. I stopped taking Lexapro, and haven't experienced anymore. I would get one or two boils a week. They left ugly, permanent scars. Although, I've found possible laser treatment may remove scars."

Cindy_nurse January 29, 2016

"I am a 24y/o female. I've been taking Lexapro 10mg for almost 4 months now and I can confidently say the only scary thing about this medication is people's negative reviews on it. First and foremost EVERYONE is different, so everyone will react to it differently. I was prescribed it by my primary Doctor due to my severe anxiety and mild depression. Before this medication I was prescribed Celexa, but hated it. My anxiety and depression got so much worse I decided to do something about it. It came to the point where my anxiety and depression affected everyone around me and I just wasn't happy anymore. At first taking this medication gave me some side affects. My side effects were really dry mouth, some intense dreams, and some loss of appetite. The only thing that has stuck for these few months have been the dreams. They seems SO REAL! But I can say I rather have some dreams than those scary anxiety attacks I use to get, and those depressed bed sobs. Lexapro has changed my life! Before this medication my life was hitting rock bottom. My Anxiety was so severe it took over my life. I obsessed over everything, overthought everything, felt like at any moment I was going to die. I was on edge every second. My blood pressure was always high and I'm only 24! I had this obsession of dying in a car accident, it came to a point I couldnt ride in a car with anyone else unless I was driving. If I did I would get panic attacks. My depression was also bad and also had an eating disorder. I felt like I was never going to be happy. Was never going to be happy in a relationship, or in my job, or even be able to hug my own mother again. I'm happy the people in my life noticed how much my disorders were taking over my life and helped me make a change. Lexapro helped my life. I hope my review will change yours."

Kimmybabyy1991 January 22, 2016

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this for several years. I would occasionally switch to something else, but I always came back to it. While effective, it caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Miss Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug for occasional anxiety issues, related to pressure at work. I took it during an extremely stressful time where I experienced extraordinary anxiety. The first day it helped me quite a lot, by taking away the negative feeling in my chest and making me more relaxed and social. Later in the day, it made me very awake, without impairing my sleep. I took it for another 4-5 days every day in 2.5-10mg to try with different dosage. The positive impact faded and I got serious problems with side effects. I could hardly sleep any longer and the combination with diphenhydramin (sleeping pill) made it even worse, by excessively reducing my heart rate and respiratory condition. The last 2 days i hardly slept, due to 'hypnic jerks"

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"Bad experience. Bad sleep."

Bert34 January 16, 2016

"Have been on Lexapro for two years now. First weeks were truly horrible and took 6-8 weeks for full effect. But hang in there! My life is finally anxiety free and I enjoy the smallest things. I see now how much place and energy the anxiety took before. Not anymore. No side effects. Take it at night to avoid sexual side effects. (Had them when I took Lex in the morning.)"

Karen35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016