User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"Changed my life. Quiets the irrational fears and depression that accompany anxiety disorder. Taking 10mg/daily. Weight gain but could also be because I'm happy and eating again. Also sleep great and feel calm. No sexual side effects. Stay with it for 6-8 weeks. If it doesn't work for you, try another medication until you find the one that clicks. Don't give up!"

NoMoAnxiety February 5, 2016

"I was given Lexapro from my GP for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally the past two years with various techniques to no avail. My panic symptoms were with me everyday and often suffered panic attack episodes. Made it extremely difficult to do everyday type stuff let alone work. I was always drug resistant..the kind of person who wouldn't even want to take a headache med so the thought of a drug therapy I would do everyday was scary. Anyhow, its early on less than two weeks and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness first week. I feel less anxious already, no attacks and my thoughts aren't looping in my head anymore. I'm hoping it continues to get better!"

Swainer February 4, 2016

"Stay away from this drug! Or at least if you have had my experience. My side effects was that I had very painful armpit boils. Never before in my life had I had them. I researched signs and symptoms online, and found Lexapro could cause them. I stopped taking Lexapro, and haven't experienced anymore. I would get one or two boils a week. They left ugly, permanent scars. Although, I've found possible laser treatment may remove scars."

Cindy_nurse January 29, 2016

"I am a 24y/o female. I've been taking Lexapro 10mg for almost 4 months now and I can confidently say the only scary thing about this medication is people's negative reviews on it. First and foremost EVERYONE is different, so everyone will react to it differently. I was prescribed it by my primary Doctor due to my severe anxiety and mild depression. Before this medication I was prescribed Celexa, but hated it. My anxiety and depression got so much worse I decided to do something about it. It came to the point where my anxiety and depression affected everyone around me and I just wasn't happy anymore. At first taking this medication gave me some side affects. My side effects were really dry mouth, some intense dreams, and some loss of appetite. The only thing that has stuck for these few months have been the dreams. They seems SO REAL! But I can say I rather have some dreams than those scary anxiety attacks I use to get, and those depressed bed sobs. Lexapro has changed my life! Before this medication my life was hitting rock bottom. My Anxiety was so severe it took over my life. I obsessed over everything, overthought everything, felt like at any moment I was going to die. I was on edge every second. My blood pressure was always high and I'm only 24! I had this obsession of dying in a car accident, it came to a point I couldnt ride in a car with anyone else unless I was driving. If I did I would get panic attacks. My depression was also bad and also had an eating disorder. I felt like I was never going to be happy. Was never going to be happy in a relationship, or in my job, or even be able to hug my own mother again. I'm happy the people in my life noticed how much my disorders were taking over my life and helped me make a change. Lexapro helped my life. I hope my review will change yours."

Kimmybabyy1991 January 22, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took this for several years. I would occasionally switch to something else, but I always came back to it. While effective, it caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Miss Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug for occasional anxiety issues, related to pressure at work. I took it during an extremely stressful time where I experienced extraordinary anxiety. The first day it helped me quite a lot, by taking away the negative feeling in my chest and making me more relaxed and social. Later in the day, it made me very awake, without impairing my sleep. I took it for another 4-5 days every day in 2.5-10mg to try with different dosage. The positive impact faded and I got serious problems with side effects. I could hardly sleep any longer and the combination with diphenhydramin (sleeping pill) made it even worse, by excessively reducing my heart rate and respiratory condition. The last 2 days i hardly slept, due to 'hypnic jerks"

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"Bad experience. Bad sleep."

Bert34 January 16, 2016

"Have been on Lexapro for two years now. First weeks were truly horrible and took 6-8 weeks for full effect. But hang in there! My life is finally anxiety free and I enjoy the smallest things. I see now how much place and energy the anxiety took before. Not anymore. No side effects. Take it at night to avoid sexual side effects. (Had them when I took Lex in the morning.)"

Karen35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

"My 15 yr old daughter has multiple diagnoses. ODD. ADD. Anxiety and Depression. We have used several different meds over the last few months to aid with behavioral issues like constant anger and opposition with occasional explosive outbursts of anger and focus & concentration in school. She has been on 10 mg Lexapro daily for a little over a week and I can see a huge difference in her already. I feel like I have my daughter back. We can have a conversation without an argument. She seems so much more peaceful and generally happy. I see so much of a difference, I don't think she even needs the Daytrana patch for ADD now. Other meds we have tried are Effexor, Concerta, Adderall, & Stratera."

MotherOfAnxiety January 1, 2016

"I have been in a really bad funk for as long as I can remember and have been through a good amount. I won't go into details because its not relevant. Also felt like my brain was foggy and mind constantly racing. I have social anxiety as well. I am on day two of lexapro and I think it's working already. I feel warm inside, peaceful and am interacting with people so easily. It's strange. I can't explain it bit I feel peaceful, happy and not anxious. I haven't felt this way in a long time. I get drowsy and my eyes get heavy randomly through out the day. I've also started smiling randomly. I know this is sort of vague, I wanted to be straight to the point. I really hope this is it and I have found the right medicine and hope this lasts!"

SWDup December 23, 2015

"I have been on a few other anti-anxiety meds over the past decade. The last one I was on was an absolute nightmare, so I vowed to NEVER take meds again. Since then, I tried natural remedies, exercise etc. to combat this constant agitation and anxiety I have been feeling. I couldn't really be in the moment and enjoy. I've been on 10 mg. of Lexapro for over 2 months now and haven't felt this good in a forever (it seems). I feel normal again and I actually want to get out and do things. I see now how severely depressed/anxious I have been for so long. This medication has given me my life back. I have not gained any weight, thus far and have stayed the same. Everyone is different, so I feel very lucky that this is working for me."

Lillakri02 December 21, 2015

"I got on this med Sept.2015. I had anxiety mixed with fear to take it. I am on the 10 mg dose and get depressed and anxiety when on it. Slowly it worsened to the point I couldn't attend school. I this normal!? I have experienced the lack of wanting to eat and hating food in the start of being on it.Then my hunger spiked past its norm; I was eating like there was no tomorrow. Now being close to Xmas and off it for a bit I feel more snappy. If you are/ have experienced this I hope this helped."

jessiebear25 December 16, 2015

"I've tried many medications for anxiety, panic disorder, social phobia etc. I was previously on Zoloft for 3 months with nasty side effects. I started 5mg of Lexapro on 11/13/15 and after the first day I saw significant improvement, 2 weeks later I was at 10mg. I'm able to go places without panicking, and I'm more social. The only side effect I have is nausea and gas but Zofran helps with that. Today I will be increasing my dose to 20mg. So far it's done awesome for me. I hope it continues to get better."

Ashley2994 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2015

"Hi i just started Lexapro 3 days ago 5mg for anxiety and I must say I think I feel worse then I did before I took it. I feel all shakey and feel a bit down and I have gone off my food is this normal has anyone else felt like this ?"

sudsey December 13, 2015

"I was put on this for my panic disorder because i was suffering from panic attacks while driving because of a bad car wreck I had. Anyways my doctor put me on 10mgs when I took it in the day I was so drowsy and out of it I couldn't function. So I switched to taking it before bed and I would wake up every night with dizzy spells and heart beating out my chest. It would take a hour for those symptoms to go away and for me to continue my sleep. Then during the day I would have extreme anxiety I couldn't be behind the wheel of a car without panicking, I couldn't go out to the store without panicking I was only on it for 10 days the worst 10 days of my life and honestly I feel better now that I'm off this horrible drug"

ByeAnxiety (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015

"I posted in Oct. My 9 yr. Old has Aspergers and my life was hard. It is now the last week of month 2 on 10mg. of Lexapro. OMG!!! Is this what normal really feels like!? Please.. if you have anxiety and possible depression give this drug a chance. I feel like a new person. I laugh at shows now, I have a sense of humor again. My spouse is spending more time around me since I am more pleseant to be around. I cooked a small Thx giving dinner for 4 from scratch in 4 hours without stressing it. I can watch sad movies and feel the emotions but not cry through the whole show or movie. Find myself interested in things I used to enjoy but stopped. I am glad I hung in and listened to others who said to give it 6-8 weeks for full effect.They were right.:)"

Special needs Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was having terrible anxiety out of the blue at age 59 they anxiety lasted all day and into the evening for one month. I was on Prozac and the doctor put me on Lexapro instead and my anxiety was gone by the third day of taking it! It has worked wonderfully for me I feel normal again and not so fearful!"

Prodigious November 19, 2015

"I'm 19 years old and I've had anxiety since I was a kid. When my family would sing happy birthday to me, I would have a panic attack and cry. I cried every day my kindergarden year. My anxiety got worse over the years but my parents are those types that don't believe in medication and mental disorders. This year, since being an adult and being able to make my own decisions, I decided to see a therapist. They started me out on 5mg lexapro. The first month was like heaven. I could hold conversations with strangers, go to restaurants and not have a panic attack trying to order food, and so on. After that first month the medicine just stopped working. I was tired and sick all the time and it made me have horrible bursts of anger. Don't take this!!"

Krlewisr November 13, 2015

"I took this after being on Zoloft for anxiety & social phobia. Zoloft didn't work (I was on it for about 4 weeks and it gave me terrible headaches, couldn't sleep, but felt tired all the time). After about 2 weeks of being on Lexapro, I got severe anxiousness and anger and rage. I had it for 3 days straight and my husband told me to call the doc and get off the meds. I also was dizzy all the time so much that I couldn't stand up without having to immediately sit down because of the world spinning. I'm switching over to Efexxor now and hoping that will help."

vegans save the world (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

"I suffer from major anxiety and panic attacks. My dr started me on 5mg of lexapro and been taking it for 6 days now. Im not sure if I should continue the medication. Im having weird feelings in my chest tightness fluttering feeling that makes me cough. Also I feel a lot of pressure in my head and daily headaches. It causes more anxiety for me so taking xanax to help. Anyone having these side effects?"

Anonymous November 5, 2015

"I've had serious anxiety since I was a teen. In the last 4 years (thanks to some random health issues) it has skyrocketed and life has become unbearable. Everyday I thought I was having a heart attack - despite stellar cardio results. Anxiety took full control of my life - mentally and physically. Xanax and booze (not together) work like a charm but I fear the addiction potential. My doc put me on low dose of Lexapro (5 mg) and within 48 hours all my crazy anxiety ended. Gone. I feel normal again - it's been YEARS since I've felt this way. Small sexual side effect (long time to ejaculate) and slight weight gain but I'm ok with that. Another side effect: my co-workers & friends like me again."

Scorbett November 2, 2015

"I am 19 years old. I had severe panic attacks before dates and would get sick right in front of them. Also, had trouble talking to "higher ups" at work. My doc put me on 10 mg Lexapro for social anxiety disorder. Worked right away after the first dose. Takes away all pain and worrying. The only bad thing is I feel like my life is all in slow motion and can't be bothered about anything. Puts you in your happy place. No need to suffer anymore, there is an answer!"

anonymous22987 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

"I was having a lot of anxiety over trying to raise my RAD (Reactive attachment disorder) niece. I didn't feel depressed just anxious and had panic attacks. Her and I were in a power struggle. This med helped me relax and pick my battles and not get over zealous about thing. The bad thing is within 5 months I gained 15 pounds not changing my eating habits at all. The 6th month I tried to lose weight and could not so I went back and got on something else."

MomofRad October 23, 2015

"I suffer from severe social and general anxiety. Started on lexapro about a month ago. Took 10mg daily for 3 and 1/2 weeks with little results. I would always check these reviews because I saw how much it had changed many people's lives so I was trying to stay optimistic. side affects were tough the first week but went away quickly. Not much help with anxiety, all I really noticed was a "cloudy headed" feeling all day. Don't give up taking it though! This drug does wonders for many people."

Kurp (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

"Hi. I am on day 16 of 10mg. The first 6 days I was very tired, excessively. But the majority of my anxiety was gone by then. Days 6-8 I had severe insomnia, it passed and by day 9 I had no racing thoughts before going to slep. Today is day 16. I feel better about my life circumstances. I have a 9 year old with Aspergers. I am no longer spending every waking moment obsessing over what will become of his future. My cognitve functioning seems clearer. Have been able to keep up more with home chores. Still not as energised as I would like to be. Coffee makes me more jittery since starting the meds. I can now tell the differnce between caffeine jitters and my real anxiety though. I am hoping that by week 6-8 I have even more clarity."

Anxiety & Slight Depression (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015