User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by FinallyHopeful:

All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by MStetzer:

Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by AngryGerbil:

I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month):

250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

February 26, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by LivingAgainAndHappy:

I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by MM2x:

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Poshbird1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used to be on 200mg of sertraline but after 12 years on this medicine I started having severe problems with anxiety after a good friend's death, this eventually led to a near breakdown 3 years later when my anxiety became so bad I could barely function. My Dr suggested I switch to escitalopram. I was terrified of making this switch & put it off for weeks but eventually decided to 'take the plunge'. 4 days later and my anxiety levels are already reducing HUGELY! I wish I'd taken this sooner & can't believe how easy the switch was. I literally stopped taking my 200mg of sertraline one day and started taking 20mg of escitalopram the next. This stuff's a life saver!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by Wildalaska:

I love Lexapro! It helps me stop drinking, lose weight and I have way less anxiety now. For all those people that have sexual dysfunction, try taking it at night right before bed, after sex. I have no problems in that area now!

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by ermology:

Good but gave me runs and gas.

December 14, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by ashz30 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I suffer from hypochondria and panic disorder. I was so afraid to take medication. After 2 years I finally took Cipralex. It has made my anxiety a lot more tolerable. I've had a few major panic attacks but overall good experience. I've been on 20mg for 2 years.

December 10, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by N.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 26 year old who has had anxiety since I was a child. I've gone through rough spots on and off throughout my life where I would feel extremely anxious and nauseous all of the time. I finally decided to do something about it when I started experiencing panic attacks on top of it all. Lexapro along with seeing a psychologist saved my life. I went into this knowing there is no "magic" pill out there - I still have good and bad days like everyone, but NOTHING like how bad I felt before. When I initially began taking the medicine, it made my anxiety worse - I told my doctor and he adjusted the dosage to a smaller amount. I felt tremendously better in just about a week, and have continued to feel better and better.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2013 6:28 PM

Review by djdaekfugy:

I am a 30 year old female who has suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life and it got worse after I had my daughter. Two years after she was born, I couldnt take it anymore and I had to get help. I talked to my doctor and was put on Lexapro, 10 mg. I hated it at first. I was dizzy and "swimmy" feeling, couldnt sleep, couldnt eat, felt out of it, couldn't care less about things that were going on. This only lasted about a week! Then, I could gradually feel myself getting used to it. My next appt, my dosage was upped to 20 mg (he started me on 10 because he wanted to ease me into it knowing I was a mom and worked full time; i still needed to function). Let me just say that Lexapro SAVED MY LIFE!! I love it and swear by it!

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by flipp:

Life saver for my anxiety

November 4, 2013 8:49 AM

Review by Nettle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Worked wonders for stabilising my mood - and my ability to leave the house! Been taking it for about two years now. only thing I find is it starts to 'wear off' after a few months. My doctor has me come off them for a month and then go back on when this happens and I find this much more effective than upping the dose. Main side effect for me has been insomnia. A small price to pay for the huge positive impact Lexapro has made on my life.

October 10, 2013 7:20 PM

Review by Mike2014:

I got sick from it, diarrhea. I started having ear trouble and started hallucinating.

October 2, 2013 6:03 PM

Review by sassypantsej:

I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for about 6 years. I am so thankful for this medication. I am a crying weepy mess without it!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2013 11:35 AM

Review by Berrier2:

I've been taking Lexapro for 2 months now for depression and panic attacks, which seem to come from nowhere (and I've never truly understood how scary a panic attack could be until that moment). It has helped me tremendously! Suddenly this last week the side effects which had seemed to taper, have returned. I have the addition of a headache (which I did not have in the beginning) and irritability. I'm also noticeably more tired than I was before. I am now taking the Lexapro in the evening instead of in the morning to help with sleep - but am curious if it is normal to have the side effects go in waves? It seemed as if they were mostly gone except for the lethargy, now they are increasing.

September 23, 2013 5:53 PM

Review by nervousnick (taken for 5 to 10 years):

If you're suffering, you need to fix you! This medication is the most important thing to ever happen in my life. I went from a nervous, neurotic, obsessional wreck, to calm, cool and in-control dude - and I only take 5-10 mg (I'm 6' 4"). Over the last seven years, I've taken it on average 1-2 months out of the year - only when needed and never more than 6-8 weeks. I prefer not to be on anything, but when my health and business decline because of my mood, I immediately break the safety glass and reach for the Lexapro. And if for some reason Lexapro doesn't work for you, work with your doctor to find the right medicine so you can feel better. (I've tried 6 different medicines, we all have different chemistries - never give up.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 5:30 AM