User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ContessSpider:

Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month):

I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope.

October 14, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Elviseat:

My experience thus far on this mediicne is absolutely life changing. I have never taken any form of medication in my life bar antibiotics on a couple of occasions, however when anxiety hit me out of nowhere I thought I was losing my mind. I could not think or function. I didn't have the strength to stomach food and was afraid all the time. I could not work and thought that living was becoming impossible. As a result of this I became depressed and the vicious cycle continued. I thought I would never escape this feeling. It all became too much for me after about a month and I went to my doctor a blithering mess. He prescribed me 10mg Lexapro and I regained my life. 14 days later I am back to normal and happy smiling. Get your life back.

October 9, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by Mavrik33:

I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years. I've tried diet and exercise,meditiation, herbs, and when I finally realized how many things I was missing out on with my family and friends I knew I needed to try medicine. First I tried Buspar which offered no help and made me really dizzy. Next was Lexapro. The first couple of days on Lexapro i noticed nothing. By day 4 I was really tired and had a headache. Day 5-6 was the same and I was very anxious and couldn't sleep. By this point i am so tired I have to sleep late, sleep at lunch and go to bed early. On day 8-10 my ears rang and I almost gave up. On day 11 I FINALLY started to feel better. Waiting for 4 weeks to see full benefits, but the side effects DO go away.

October 8, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Tweetie Bird:

Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Ash2014:

Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Momo111 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Lexapro less than 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was extremely nauseous and threw up several time just hours after taking it my first week, so I started taking it an hour before bed (also makes me very drowsy so it helps me fall asleep). I am no longer feeling sick whatsoever. I have lost more than 10 pounds and have gained TONS of self-confidence. I highly recommend trying Lexapro.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by pixies18:

I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by NetMan01:

I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by sfo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Life changing medicine for panic disorder and anxiety. Zero side effects save for slight insomnia on days 1-3 and a bit of muscle weirdness and stomach pain (similar to ibuprofen) in week 1. Most days I am a normal person now. Still supplement with clonazepam for trigger situations on occasion, but most of the time I can focus on life without panic distracting me.

July 31, 2014 12:22 AM

Lexapro is amazing. I was blind sided by a panic attack when I was 22. This panic lead to being anxious which lead to obsessive thoughts about feeling poorly, ultimately causing male depression (not sad but lack of lust for life). It was a viscous cycle, I'd obsess over being anxious and this caused me to be more anxious. I had so a dozen symptoms ranging from dizziness to blurry vision to stomach discomfort. It just made no sense to me how all this was related. Long story short, started Lexapro, first 2 weeks made everything worse that just as quickly as it can't the anxiety and obsessive thoughts were gone. Wow up one day and my mind went racing! Would recommend and encourage people not to get discouraged if it doesn't work immediately.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM