User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"Works great for GAD. I fought my feelings for years and just toughed it out. I found myself drinking to ease my symptoms. The drinking helped turn my brain off for the night, but the feelings just came back the next day. Finally told my doctor about my symptoms and was prescribed Lexapro. Within 48 hours the anxiety was dramatically reduced, no excessive sweating, mind racing, etc. This drug is a god send. 10 mg works best for me, tried 20 but couldn't feel the difference. Now just have to deal with the drinking."

Willard the Rat August 31, 2015

"This medication has been very effective for me. After years and years of living with anxiety and doing all the right things to get rid of it organically, I finally bit the bullet and started on 5mg. Decided after a particularly bad month of anxiety to start a script I had been given a year ago. Read reviews, most of them saying you need to stick it out to pass the side effects and get the full benefit, so that's what I did. I took the 5mg for a week, went up to 10, and have now been on it for 3 whole months. The initial side effects were as follows: nausea, sleepiness, memory deficits (short-term), headaches. Those went away after 2 months. And anxiety is gone. I am calm and collected, I no longer sweat the small stuff. No insomnia."

Rrrrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

"So basically since I was around 20 (I'm 36 now) I've suffered from general anxiety and horrible panic attacks, really bad hypochondria. I've gone to the hospital thinking I was dying of everything. I graduated from an Ivy League college and suffered the entire time. Finally I decided to bite the billet and try lexapro (brand name not generic). I started at 10mg and had a week of terrible side effects including: depression, couldn't cry, weird feelings hard to describe, insomnia, increased anxiety, fatigue, all around shaky feeling. I couldn't deal with it so I started to cut the pills in half to 5 mg- side effects went away except I have increased libido (it gets annoying). No panic attacks. Still have anxiety a little tiny bit."

Jackieteetee August 26, 2015

"I was diagnosed with anxiety after having several bouts of severe anxiety and many lesser episodes. On two occasions I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. My Dr. prescribed Lexapro. I don't recall any of the issues other describe and after two weeks or so, I was feeling much better and only sufferred from a few smaller episodes. I have noticed that heavy drinking is a disaster while on this med and results in me feeling ill and panic. I have had no other side effects. I did run out for nearly a week once and did feel some negative feelings coming on. I do not plan to run out ever again. I have taken 10 mg since the start three years ago. Avoid heavy drinking!"

Doinbetter13 August 24, 2015

"Been on Lexapro for 2 days. Horrible nausea, headache. My husband asked the pharmacist about help with this. She recommended an over-the-counter liquid called Ematrol. Used by children and adults. It helped. Also sipped ginger ale as needed. Feel very out-of-body, shaky but trying to stick it out as everyone seems to say the first day/week is hell, but then all is good. Am continuing on Klonopin, per my psychiatrist's recommendation, until the Lexapro kicks in. Will try taking it at night, as this seems easier to "ride out" the side effects through sleep."

mattkend August 16, 2015

"Absolutely ineffective for my GAD....stuck with it for a year based on pdoc advice. Now I have to deal with tapering. What a mistake that has been. Additionally, I have tried several other ssri's as well as a few ssri's all to no avail. Suicidal thoughts, intolerable side effects, lack of any efficacy. Without Benzodiazepan's I would not be here now."

Johnny Joe August 16, 2015

"I read these reviews which helped me to make a decision to take this med so I will add my experience in the hopes it will help others. I am 56, male and had two minor heart attacks 6 months ago. That and a very stressful job caused many sleepless nights and some stress and anxiety. My Doctor suggested lexipro a few times and I finally decided to give it a try. I was prescribed 10 mg and broke them in half as a trial so 5 mg to start.The first 2-3 days I felt no change but by day 3-4 the side effects kicked in hard. Nausea, severe hot flashes, fullness and tightness in chest, fogginess, very anxious feelings. I decided to stop after 6 days and was worried about any withdrawal but the day I stopped I felt much better. just my experience."

Here's my story (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for 2 years. Just recently switched to Effexor and Klonopin. Lexapro never really did much for me. At first, after the 2-week adjustment to the medicine which was hell, I thought it worked. But it may have just been placebo more than the medicine. Had multiple serious near life-changing anxiety attacks while on Lexapro which is why I switched. I couldn't be happier for switching. If you have anxiety, don't waste your time with an SSRI. Also, I've stopped taking lexapro multiple times. It's not too hard, you get aggravated at everything for a few days, the brain shocks aren't nearly as bad as people say they are."

GoJoGoJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

"On my fourth day now taking this and I feel so much better. The first 2 days were hell for me. Side effects just like everybody else says. I felt like I was dizzy, nauseous, and had diarrhea. It just made me feel strange. But by the third day I felt amazing. I still felt a little weird at first but the side effects wore off quickly and then and began to stop overthinking things so much. It's almost as if I just started to feel at peace with everything like I was just laid back which is not how I ever was. No more of that chest pain or heavy breathing or sickening nervous feeling. Even my girlfriend could notice a difference in me as I was not so wound up about everything. just happy I can feel normal again"

N89 August 6, 2015

"I encountered a bout of hypochondria when Doctors couldn%u2019t diagnose some pain I was having. Slight worry turned into full-blown panic attacks and daylong anxiety. With anxiety comes a bunch of physical symptoms and I was certain each one of those symptoms was more proof of me having some sort of undiscovered health condition, feeding into the anxiety. My physician suggested I try going on Lexapro for 6 months and I was at the end of my rope so I reluctantly agreed. Side effects were horrible but they went away and within 1 month of my first dose I was completley back to normal. I've now been off it for 6 months and its like my entire episode never happened. Lexapro saved my life."

RustyShackleford August 3, 2015

"I love this medication! I have been on it for about a year and it has made my life so much better. I had been living with severe anxiety and depression. After starting lexapro, I had some side effects such as the weird dreams, nausea, dizziness, and increased anxiety. After 2 weeks, I started to feel so much better! I now have less anxiety and I have not had a panic attack in 6 months! It is amazing how great I feel. Finally, I can live my life like a normal 24 year old! My advice to anyone who is on this medicine is to stay on it! It is worth it!"

Court court August 2, 2015

"I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

"I just finished reading all these reviews about Lexapro, just prior I was reading all the reviews from people trying to get off Lexapro.. Crazy the things people go thru to get on this medication and then just as crazy the things you go thru to get off it. So what to do???? I have been on Lex for approx. 18 months my Dr put me on when there was a lot going on in my life and i told 'I had shopping cart rage" :) among others issues. I too went thru all the crap in the beginning and felt just stick it out. I did and I survived and things seemed better. fast forward 18 months later I thought my life has calmed down and I wanted off the meds. I also have Ambien and Xanax that I take "as needed" which isn't often. I ask my Dr about getting off"

Anonymous July 28, 2015

"Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

"I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

"I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

"I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015

"I'm introverted and suffered some depression and anxiety due to a recent IRS audit and personal problems at home , I landed in the hospital for 4 days after test on my heart etc everything cleared but stress and anxiety , I'm 40 and in good shape , Dr put me on Lexapro , first two weeks were brutal , emotional rollercoster and insomia, I asked my Dr if he was sure these were not estrogen pills. After two weeks I started to feel awesome , better then before I'm on my eighth week and lost weight , motivated to go to gym , tolerate my wife's extroverted friends , I feel better then I did my entire life , even before my depression issues , crowds and loud people go over my head nothing irritates me anymore , sexual sides I last longer win win"

Steve_09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

"I started on 10 mg of Lexapro in October 2014. I stayed on that dose for 2 months and felt horrible the whole time. Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, severe gas, and more anxiety. I lowered to 5mg and finally started to feel like myself. Long story short, I raised back up to 10 mg in April 2015 and haven't felt this good in years. Most all side effects gone. I have it a 10 because I couldn't hardly leave my house before. I'm finally living again. It is a process, but don't quit and don't give up. Its worth the results to stick with it."

Bradrds May 31, 2015

"I noticed pretty good results within two weeks- my general anxiety lowered significantly, but I still get frequent panic attacks."

Æ May 30, 2015

"Lexapro saved my life and saved my mind. I have pure OCD and anxiety. I tried other anxiety medications before and was ready to give up. My primary doctor recommended I try Lexapro. I started off at 10mg and started to feel better after a month or two but was still having compulsions from my OCD (although much fewer) so I asked my Doctor to up my medication. She put me on 20mg and I have been on 20mg for more than six months now. My life has changed. I have never felt so alive and so real. I have never felt so sane. I can function for the first time in ten years at the degree someone "normal" functions act."

Claw21 May 29, 2015

"Lexapro is great. I started when my panic attacks and depression made me unable to function at all and I was too afraid to leave my house. My thoughts would race and I was just a mess. I started on 5mg for a week which was like nothing but then upped to 10mg and after 3 weeks I was beginning to feel less anxious and more stable. After 6 weeks I'd say I felt normal. I'm going to try come off them after being on them for a year and a half. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year so for panic disorder they work fantastically well. I've experienced no side effects with this drug."

jjfh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015