User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Review by Beezy9913:

I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Marathon01:

It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by hcg90:

Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by extrAorindary (taken for less than 1 month):

Before Lexapro I was extremely stressed out for at least a year before taking it. Everything my boyfriend would do would cause me to snap. I would snap on family members constantly as well. If they were chewing too loud, whistling, or looking at me, I would flip out and yell. No lie here...within 2 days I had noticed a day and night difference. My boyfriend absolutely adores me now. I love who I am and I can't imagine life the way it was before. This medicine was/is a miracle to me. The only side effect I had was yawning often the first two days, but that went away. I love living life now and enjoy myself. I can't express enough how much it has helped. My life has taken an absolute 180!

January 12, 2015 11:24 PM

Review by LineH:

Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Austin Parent (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I didn't realize how bad I was until I took this medicine! I'll start back: for seven years, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and my mood deteriorated the whole time. A year before I took Lexapro, I was almost done nursing my youngest and started to get awful pelvic spasms. Then, once I finished nursing, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After that, anxiety attacks. My Dr. said, "We gotta put you on something" so I asked for something to help calm my stomach and nerve pain in my pelvis. I started on 5 mg, then 10 mg 2 weeks later. It's been 4 weeks and I'm seeing an amazing difference. Pelvic pain significantly reduced, stomach eased, and I'm happier and the "shakes" and nervousness have lessened. Still have some dry mouth, so be prepared. A !

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ContessSpider:

Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!

October 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month):

I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Elviseat:

My experience thus far on this mediicne is absolutely life changing. I have never taken any form of medication in my life bar antibiotics on a couple of occasions, however when anxiety hit me out of nowhere I thought I was losing my mind. I could not think or function. I didn't have the strength to stomach food and was afraid all the time. I could not work and thought that living was becoming impossible. As a result of this I became depressed and the vicious cycle continued. I thought I would never escape this feeling. It all became too much for me after about a month and I went to my doctor a blithering mess. He prescribed me 10mg Lexapro and I regained my life. 14 days later I am back to normal and happy smiling. Get your life back.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by Mavrik33:

I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years. I've tried diet and exercise,meditiation, herbs, and when I finally realized how many things I was missing out on with my family and friends I knew I needed to try medicine. First I tried Buspar which offered no help and made me really dizzy. Next was Lexapro. The first couple of days on Lexapro i noticed nothing. By day 4 I was really tired and had a headache. Day 5-6 was the same and I was very anxious and couldn't sleep. By this point i am so tired I have to sleep late, sleep at lunch and go to bed early. On day 8-10 my ears rang and I almost gave up. On day 11 I FINALLY started to feel better. Waiting for 4 weeks to see full benefits, but the side effects DO go away.

October 8, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Tweetie Bird:

Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Ash2014:

Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Momo111 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Lexapro less than 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was extremely nauseous and threw up several time just hours after taking it my first week, so I started taking it an hour before bed (also makes me very drowsy so it helps me fall asleep). I am no longer feeling sick whatsoever. I have lost more than 10 pounds and have gained TONS of self-confidence. I highly recommend trying Lexapro.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by pixies18:

I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM