User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I encountered a bout of hypochondria when Doctors couldn%u2019t diagnose some pain I was having. Slight worry turned into full-blown panic attacks and daylong anxiety. With anxiety comes a bunch of physical symptoms and I was certain each one of those symptoms was more proof of me having some sort of undiscovered health condition, feeding into the anxiety. My physician suggested I try going on Lexapro for 6 months and I was at the end of my rope so I reluctantly agreed. Side effects were horrible but they went away and within 1 month of my first dose I was completley back to normal. I've now been off it for 6 months and its like my entire episode never happened. Lexapro saved my life."

RustyShackleford August 3, 2015

"I love this medication! I have been on it for about a year and it has made my life so much better. I had been living with severe anxiety and depression. After starting lexapro, I had some side effects such as the weird dreams, nausea, dizziness, and increased anxiety. After 2 weeks, I started to feel so much better! I now have less anxiety and I have not had a panic attack in 6 months! It is amazing how great I feel. Finally, I can live my life like a normal 24 year old! My advice to anyone who is on this medicine is to stay on it! It is worth it!"

Court court August 2, 2015

"I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

"Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

"I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

"I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

"I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

"I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015

"I'm introverted and suffered some depression and anxiety due to a recent IRS audit and personal problems at home , I landed in the hospital for 4 days after test on my heart etc everything cleared but stress and anxiety , I'm 40 and in good shape , Dr put me on Lexapro , first two weeks were brutal , emotional rollercoster and insomia, I asked my Dr if he was sure these were not estrogen pills. After two weeks I started to feel awesome , better then before I'm on my eighth week and lost weight , motivated to go to gym , tolerate my wife's extroverted friends , I feel better then I did my entire life , even before my depression issues , crowds and loud people go over my head nothing irritates me anymore , sexual sides I last longer win win"

Steve_09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

"I started on 10 mg of Lexapro in October 2014. I stayed on that dose for 2 months and felt horrible the whole time. Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, severe gas, and more anxiety. I lowered to 5mg and finally started to feel like myself. Long story short, I raised back up to 10 mg in April 2015 and haven't felt this good in years. Most all side effects gone. I have it a 10 because I couldn't hardly leave my house before. I'm finally living again. It is a process, but don't quit and don't give up. Its worth the results to stick with it."

Bradrds May 31, 2015

"I noticed pretty good results within two weeks- my general anxiety lowered significantly, but I still get frequent panic attacks."

Æ May 30, 2015

"Lexapro saved my life and saved my mind. I have pure OCD and anxiety. I tried other anxiety medications before and was ready to give up. My primary doctor recommended I try Lexapro. I started off at 10mg and started to feel better after a month or two but was still having compulsions from my OCD (although much fewer) so I asked my Doctor to up my medication. She put me on 20mg and I have been on 20mg for more than six months now. My life has changed. I have never felt so alive and so real. I have never felt so sane. I can function for the first time in ten years at the degree someone "normal" functions act."

Claw21 May 29, 2015

"Lexapro is great. I started when my panic attacks and depression made me unable to function at all and I was too afraid to leave my house. My thoughts would race and I was just a mess. I started on 5mg for a week which was like nothing but then upped to 10mg and after 3 weeks I was beginning to feel less anxious and more stable. After 6 weeks I'd say I felt normal. I'm going to try come off them after being on them for a year and a half. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year so for panic disorder they work fantastically well. I've experienced no side effects with this drug."

jjfh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015

"This is the first time I have ever posted a review of anything online, but I feel an obligation to share my experience to other suffering with anxiety. I suffer from GAD which included panic attacks, muscle aches, and a horrible temper. I avoided this medication fearing weight gain (as I already gained 10 lbs over the year) and sexual dysfunction. When I explained this to my doctor, he replied "Have you ever considered whether being anxious has caused you to eat more, drink more, and maybe have sex less often?". I have been on Lexapro for 6 months now, and my only regret is not starting this treatment sooner. I have lost 15 lbs as I don't eat and drink as much anymore, and my love life has improved. Anxiety sucks. You don't have to suffer!"

Bronco79 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2015

"I have suffered from mild depression/moderate to severe anxiety for several years now. I married for the second time January 2014 (blended family) which started to exacerbate all my issues! Runaway thoughts of scenarios that "might" happen and how I would react. Very emotionally unstable. Tendency to over-react immediately to minor situations (plus the run away thoughts start....) and would physically have to calm myself down. Easily irritated. Finally went to my Dr. and she put me on 10 mg Lexapro last week. The effects were evident withing 24 hours. No immediate over reaction, run away negative thoughts almost completely gone....wow. How could a little pill make such a huge difference?!?"

Mikaela - 40 yr old (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"This medication was a game changer for me. After trying Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa with no effect I thought I was destined to have panic attacks for the rest of my life. Celexa even worsened my anxiety, causing my to go to the emergency room twice. At the time i started Lexapro, i was having debilitating symptoms, atleast 1 to 2 panic attacks a day with racing heart, racing thoughts, generally feeling like I was losing my goddamn mind. After a month of the Lexapro my anxiety began to calm, I have now been on it for 3 years and am relatively symptom free. I still experience heightened anxiety and the occationally panic attack but it is so much more managable and I am able to apply coping skills successfully."

Miss Bay May 19, 2015

"I had anxiety symptoms such as dreading work daily, and physical symptoms such as lack of energy and almost a dizziness feeling that would start a few hours into my day and continue until I was home relaxing. This medicine has improved mostly all of my symptoms, except for the occasion day that is very stressful. I would recommend to anyone, and cannot imagine going off any time soon. Hope this helps someone else."

Anonymous May 14, 2015

"Had extreme anxiety, panic attacks, couldn't ever sleep and excessive worrying. Lexapro helped immediately I went from 10 mg to eventually 20mg it helped so much but I gained about 15 lbs. I craved sweets and carbs all the time! My Dr. told me to try to go back to 10mg but then I became very irritable, so I went back to 20mg for months. Just last night I tried 15mg...Wow! My appetite is normal, no food binges, no sleepy fog, no anxiety, and my energy already feels normal!! It is only the first day, but I am hoping this dose is my permanent one. Before Lexapro I was getting a lot of OCD type scary thoughts that would not leave my mind-made me feel like I was going crazy and now my Dr. discovered I have a genetic factor. Lifer -Lexapro"

jc0047 May 2, 2015

"I've had terrible anxiety and stress problems for a few years. I've been on this medication for 2 weeks and I can feel the difference all ready .. The first week was weird... Trippy . I'm on 10mg and I'm so happy my constant worry is going.. I'm free to live again"

nic007 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I have had mild social anxiety and depression throughout my entire adult life, but as I quit smoking a couple of years ago, both the anxiety and depression ramped up to the point that they were unbearable. I was afraid to leave my house, afraid to go out in public, afraid of was what to come next, as my condition was getting worse day by day. My doctor saw right away that something was wrong and prescribed me Lexapro, 10mg a day. Ive never been a fan of taking anti depressants or any pills for that matter, but felt like had no choice. During the six months I took Lexapro my confidence skyrocketed, I learned to be at ease in any situation and felt great. Stopped after 6 months, but the anxiety nor depression never returned. love it"

Misiu008 April 29, 2015

"I was terribly bullied in high school, made fun of my sexuality and developed an extremely high amount of social anxiety. I would shudder at the thought of going to school. I had lost hope. Visited a psychiastrist. Was prescribed Escitalopram. The medicine did not seem as if it was working in the first few months. I was given anti anxiety medicines too so I always credited them whenever I felt better. However, it has almost been an year and now I am only on Escitlopram. I realised I do not need to take any medicine at all because I am just soo confident. I realised that i am suddenly not at all hesitant to go for movies or anywhere Confidence = restored and depression = forgotten."

melbin12 April 25, 2015

"Please, please give it a chance to work. The first week my anxiety ramped up. A few days in I was so sick in the morning I was concerned I may be pregnant (nope, the meds did it). But the nausea subsided and the anxiety slowed down and at about 5 weeks in it was basically gone. Xanax helped, but I no longer need it now. Prior to this I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I couldn't focus and I was filled with terror and unreality. Lexapro made these symptoms go away. I don't have constant thoughts and I don't live 'in my head'. Please give it a chance. Stick it out, I promise it worth it, if you felt anything like I did you deserve to feel better and it saved me from the looney bin. I have my life back. 5 mgs. to start and now on 10"

HipMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety."

t-j-r April 24, 2015