User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"This medication was a game changer for me. After trying Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa with no effect I thought I was destined to have panic attacks for the rest of my life. Celexa even worsened my anxiety, causing my to go to the emergency room twice. At the time i started Lexapro, i was having debilitating symptoms, atleast 1 to 2 panic attacks a day with racing heart, racing thoughts, generally feeling like I was losing my goddamn mind. After a month of the Lexapro my anxiety began to calm, I have now been on it for 3 years and am relatively symptom free. I still experience heightened anxiety and the occationally panic attack but it is so much more managable and I am able to apply coping skills successfully."

Miss Bay May 19, 2015

"I had anxiety symptoms such as dreading work daily, and physical symptoms such as lack of energy and almost a dizziness feeling that would start a few hours into my day and continue until I was home relaxing. This medicine has improved mostly all of my symptoms, except for the occasion day that is very stressful. I would recommend to anyone, and cannot imagine going off any time soon. Hope this helps someone else."

Anonymous May 14, 2015

"Had extreme anxiety, panic attacks, couldn't ever sleep and excessive worrying. Lexapro helped immediately I went from 10 mg to eventually 20mg it helped so much but I gained about 15 lbs. I craved sweets and carbs all the time! My Dr. told me to try to go back to 10mg but then I became very irritable, so I went back to 20mg for months. Just last night I tried 15mg...Wow! My appetite is normal, no food binges, no sleepy fog, no anxiety, and my energy already feels normal!! It is only the first day, but I am hoping this dose is my permanent one. Before Lexapro I was getting a lot of OCD type scary thoughts that would not leave my mind-made me feel like I was going crazy and now my Dr. discovered I have a genetic factor. Lifer -Lexapro"

jc0047 May 2, 2015

"I've had terrible anxiety and stress problems for a few years. I've been on this medication for 2 weeks and I can feel the difference all ready .. The first week was weird... Trippy . I'm on 10mg and I'm so happy my constant worry is going.. I'm free to live again"

nic007 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I have had mild social anxiety and depression throughout my entire adult life, but as I quit smoking a couple of years ago, both the anxiety and depression ramped up to the point that they were unbearable. I was afraid to leave my house, afraid to go out in public, afraid of was what to come next, as my condition was getting worse day by day. My doctor saw right away that something was wrong and prescribed me Lexapro, 10mg a day. Ive never been a fan of taking anti depressants or any pills for that matter, but felt like had no choice. During the six months I took Lexapro my confidence skyrocketed, I learned to be at ease in any situation and felt great. Stopped after 6 months, but the anxiety nor depression never returned. love it"

Misiu008 April 29, 2015

"I was terribly bullied in high school, made fun of my sexuality and developed an extremely high amount of social anxiety. I would shudder at the thought of going to school. I had lost hope. Visited a psychiastrist. Was prescribed Escitalopram. The medicine did not seem as if it was working in the first few months. I was given anti anxiety medicines too so I always credited them whenever I felt better. However, it has almost been an year and now I am only on Escitlopram. I realised I do not need to take any medicine at all because I am just soo confident. I realised that i am suddenly not at all hesitant to go for movies or anywhere Confidence = restored and depression = forgotten."

melbin12 April 25, 2015

"Please, please give it a chance to work. The first week my anxiety ramped up. A few days in I was so sick in the morning I was concerned I may be pregnant (nope, the meds did it). But the nausea subsided and the anxiety slowed down and at about 5 weeks in it was basically gone. Xanax helped, but I no longer need it now. Prior to this I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I couldn't focus and I was filled with terror and unreality. Lexapro made these symptoms go away. I don't have constant thoughts and I don't live 'in my head'. Please give it a chance. Stick it out, I promise it worth it, if you felt anything like I did you deserve to feel better and it saved me from the looney bin. I have my life back. 5 mgs. to start and now on 10"

HipMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety."

t-j-r April 24, 2015

"After many, many, many medications, this is the ONLY one that has ever helped!"

Chey Nickole (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

"I have been on 10mg of Lexapro 3 days. Day one: I was really dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. Day 2: was awful. I kept throwing up a few hours after taking it. It felt like a hangover and flu mixed. Everything hurt. By the end of day 2 I noticed I wasn't spending my day planning, thinking, and breaking down tiny details. I was in the moment. It was a little boring at times but it was extremely refreshing. It was amazing to want to go do things without having to make sure everything was thought of. There were no rushes of chest pains. I felt like I should tell everyone how wonderful it was like not be consumed by thought. Day 3: light dizziness and sore muscles. light anxiety after an argument and a concert. I have very high hopes now."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

"Made my anxiety even worse, was unable to make it past a couple weeks."

Th3Machin3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

"I had crippling anxiety for about a decade (childhood to early twenties). Panic attacks, social anxiety, and "generalized anxiety" were some of the titles I had gotten. Bottom line I couldn't interact with others, perform simple tasks, speak in public, make eye contact, the list goes on. I had HORRIBLE anxiety panic and depression for years. I developed a pretty serious drinking problem because I was not being treated for anxiety! I was suicidal and finally sought help. Lexapro 10mg at first. I didn't feel different the first month or so. You need to give Lexapro time! I am 100% a different person. People think I am calm, confident, and put together. I feel no panic. No irrational anxiety. It saved my life."

Callieee April 7, 2015

"Lexapro made everything worse for me. Had horrible side effects! Teeth clinching, headaches, zombie like, no energy, insomnia and horrible nightmares. Had to stop after 3 days."

Anonymous April 3, 2015

"I've suffered from severe social anxiety and depression for quite some time. I was always terrified of going on pills and wanted to figure it out mentally. I always denied I needed help. It's gotten so bad recently that I struggle to leave the house. I'm only 17!! I went to the doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. I'm an emetophobic and one of the possible side effects was nausea so that was almost a deal breaker for me. I don't think I've experienced real side effects apart from difficulty reaching orgasm and headaches. My phobia makes me feel like I'm gettin side effects when I'm not- good old anxiety. Been on them for 2 days and am praying it gets better."

Wynano (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

"Absolutely saved my life. After having severe facial pain for 3 months and not one doctor could diagnose me... I started have bad anxiety and depression. I was always that person that was so against anti depressants and anxiety medicine. My family kept telling me I needed to do something so I finally decided to take Lexapro! I have been on it for a little over 2 months and it was the best decision I've made. It has made me mentally relax and when any issues arise I'm able to think about it calmly and rationally, when before I would panic over everything. The first week the side effects were pretty bad, so make sure you take an anxiety medication with it. (For 2 weeks -1 month) until the side effects disappear. Highly recommend"

Kritty Bird March 17, 2015

"Lexapro has given me my life back. Now I'm back to work, back at the gym, socializing, running errands - all things that for the past year I could not do. I feel more at ease with life in general and my depression has also lifted. My husband has noted that I'm much easier to get along with and in turn he is happier. I've tried other meds in the past but this has worked wonders for me. I started on 5mg then after 2 months I went to 10mg. No weight gain at all, sleeping better and smiling more."

Deb405 March 16, 2015

"This med is amazing. 23 year old christian college grad with every type of anxiety for the past 2 years. Could barely go to class or the grocery store, felt dissociated, distant and terrified of people (including friends). Was scared to try any drug but after losing my job and needing to go out and interview I decided to try something. 3 days in and I feel totally changed. No anxiety. Clear head. Feel like I could even move countries to work and I've been out more in a weekend than I have been in 3 months combined. I take 5mg and 25mg of hydroxyzine to balance out the side effects (blurry vision, headaches, muscle spasms etc). Don't be scared just try it. I regret not going on this sooner."

J886734458 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

J8867 March 14, 2015

"I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for a year and a half for depression and anxiety, along with generic remeron 15mg as sleep aid. Last summer I switched to only generic remeron (mirtrazipine) and my mood started to go up and down. The thing with lexapro is it takes away inhibition. That also includes being more impulsive. So be careful when upset. It also ramped up anxiety in the first couple of weeks and drives you nuts. I am getting back slowly on lexapro for 2 weeks. I got a few anxiety crisis so I take half 10mg and will try to increase slowly. Despite this minus, this is the best thing so far. BTW, generic escitalopram sucks. Tried and doesn't do the trick for me."

Happy lady75 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2015

"Hi started this medication Cipro 2.5 years ago only 5mg. I had side effects to start including joint pain, Brain zaps, dizziness but it passed after 4-7 days and I have been back to myself working a full time job, driving again and living my life. Recommend it for sure."

Jaime-lee March 11, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro for probably 7 years now. I've had severe anxiety, panic attacks, mood issues, EDs, and depression for a long time. Lexapro has helped immensely. I had side effects for the first few weeks (night sweats, felt tired, maybe increased anxiety at first) but I stuck with it and it's been my staple drug throughout these years compared to the 20 I have tried. I ultimately needed to add a mood stabilizer to get further relief, but Lexapro is definitely a huge help in that. I am on 10mg and Lamictal 50mg"

Megan566 March 11, 2015

"Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!"

SAVED MY LIFE March 9, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg."

Beezy9913 February 16, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro."

RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2015

"It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering"

Marathon01 January 23, 2015