User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"Started Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg taken at 8:00am 2 wks ago for anxiety and mild agoraphobia due to worry over having an anxiety attack-a tsunami of nervousness would overwhelm me and make me fearful and filled with unease. I was always worried about why this was happening to me out of nowhere. And I avoided going to places I once enjoyed. After day 12 a switch flipped. I felt myself again, happy, easy going, not worried, not anticipating something bad was going to happen. What I cannot handle is the sleep disruption this drug has caused. Waking at 3, 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Dr. prescribed .50 mg Xanax, which is helping me through this side effect. Hopefully it will subside when my body adjusts to the serotonin levels"

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"All I can say is WOW! After the birth of my son, I developed insomnia and anxiety. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to get enough sleep and the result was not being able to sleep. In addition, I have very high expectations of myself. I work from home and was studying at the time. From this, I caused so much anxiety for myself to the point where I couldn't control my thoughts and feelings. I was prescribed Zoloft which probably made me more anxious and I was on that for a year. My GP switched me to Lexapro 4 months ago. On this med I feel like a different person. Happy, no anxious thoughts, I am sleeping like a log and am dreaming! I haven't dreamt in years and it's lovely! I have had no side effects on this drugs :)"

Brmm May 25, 2016

"Hello all , my esperience with lexapro is very good , first of all i head extreme panic attack all days , extreme anxiety extreme weaknes . After one week of taking i feel more powerfull no panic attacks but anxiety is still there i hope in few weeks anxiety will be gone"

Gango May 25, 2016

"Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016

"I was told by my psychiatrist to try lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety. I have tried other medications in the past to help with it like Wellbutrin and Zoloft. They didn't help at all I got side effects right away like nausa,headaches and dizziness. So I was hoping that lexapro would help where the others didnt. I kept a positive attitude in hopes that it would make me have less anxiety. I took my first pill and 2 hrs later I felt so nauseous that I had trouble standing up without wanting to vomit. Then I starting feeling like my scalp was on fire. Also parts of my skin felt like it had a burning sensation. It didn't go away for the rest of the day. The next day I tried again and the same thing happened I wondered if with EDS if I can't take it"

Abra0517 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"My mood improved significantly with Lexapro. No anxiety or panic attacks whatsoever. However after about a week on it, I had severe diharrea. I literally was afraid to eat."

Steven1970 May 19, 2016

"I've always been an anxious person, usually I find my anxiety serves me well to stay on top of a busy household, but occasionally the anxiety is destructive instead, like after the birth of a child or difficult times. I'd had a horrid couple of years, nursing my mum to the end from cancer and eventually it caught up with me, panic attacks, health anxiety, obsession on breathing, palpitations constantly. I went straight onto 20mg as had been on this drug briefly a decade ago. The first 24 hours were weird, dizzy, disorientated, mildly nauseous and a huge panic attack. I only slept 3 hours a night for the first 2-3 days. By week 3 I sleep 8hrs a night, have energy during the day and zero anxiety. I feel great! Lexapro is great but be patient"

Mumtolots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

"I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

"Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

"Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

"I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

"Been on this medicine for around 5 weeks, 10 mg. Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I have finally got myself out of the darker place I was before. So glad that it's working, and I'm feeling better day to day. Still some anxiety but I can deal with it, depression is completely gone, I can socialize no problem. terrific"

CalPAL March 22, 2016

"Lexapro (or the Escitalopram version in my country) was almost immediately successful in treating my anxiety and extreme rage issues. I've been using it for 8 months, but experience one major side-effect: constant tiredness or lethargy. I've tried taking it at other times during the day, but no change. I sleep really well at night, have vivid dreams, am more creative and able to solve problems - if I can stay awake during the day. Get really drowsy two hours after taking this and can easily nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I'm no longer a bitch, but also no longer awake. So will have to choose between being mentally sharp or being anxious and angry all the time."

Nottheearlybird (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

"Lexapro changed my life for the better! I had anxiety and needed help. My doctor put me on 15 mg lexapro and the first month was not fun as my body was getting used to the drug. I had dry mouth, sweating and problems sleeping but after a month the side effects went away and I feel normal again. I bumped it down to 10 mg and have been on it for 2 years"

Amy 1530 March 10, 2016

"Began 10mg daily. First day was difficult. Severe mood swings, heightened anxiety, baseless anger, etc. Advise anyone beginning this to 1) begin on a day off and 2) have someone around to keep an eye on you. That ended at the second day, when I only took half-pills. Now that I am a week in, taking the full 10mg and things settling down nicely. Yawning is annoying and my normal night-owl life is riddled with deep, restful sleep, but I am calmer and less angry all the time."

J. Scott H. March 8, 2016

"I've been taking Lexapro for about 8 months now and it has done me wonders! I have not once had an anxiety attack since, and it has helped me with my depression as well! I highly recommend it!"

HarmonyLacee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2016

""I was given Lexapro from my Psych recommended by my therapist for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally for many yrs by faith workingout meditation yoga and eating healthy. I am 37 suffering with severe panic-anxiety attacks which started while I was pregnant and involved DV with the dad who is a angel dust addict. I was always against taking any kind of meds not even for a headache so the thought of taking a drug everyday was scary I was diagnose with PTSD and anxiety. Its early since I just took my first dose last night and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness this morning even though I slept 8hrs when I was only sleeping 3-4 at most. I still feel very anxious I will check-in 2-3 wks"

Miraclesoul777 March 2, 2016

"Feeling alive again but still having panick attacks. I've been on 10mg for the past month but I noticed every time I have drinks, the next day I have nasty pânic attacks. They are awful. Its been only a month. Does it get better after 2 months. I like this medicine, I feel alive again. I wanna jump out of my bed and go to the gym at 6am like before! I haven't felt like this in a year! Before all I wanted to do was sleep and stay attached to my bed. I love this med but i think I'll need to upper the dose for my anxiety. :'("

Xuxuzeti (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"Omg my expiriance with lexapro was hell. Doc started me of with 10mg and first day I took it after and hour started feeling it it was worse anxiety I've ever experienced and it was just getting worse. After suffering for about 5 hours I had to go to the ER. They had to wheel me in because I almost passed out. I was given 2 mg oh Ativan and Benadryl and was out bearly remember anything until the next morning. I don't know but that was my expiriance."

Jc32 (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2016

"Did more harm than good. Suicidal ideation regularly even after taken for 4 months. Stomach problems, increased anxiety; and depression onset when I had none prior."

Johnny Jo February 15, 2016

"I remember reading all these reviews before I took it because I was so scared of the side effects that I might get so I thought I would review it. I know everyone reacts differently but so far this medication has been great. It has slowed down those over thinking anxious feeling's a lot! The side effects were minor. Mild digestive problems, occasional yawning episodes (a bit annoying). The one that is probably the biggest issue is the complete loss of appetite, I just feel like drinking a lot of water. I don't feel hungry and have lost 2kg in the 3 weeks I have been on it. I am hoping in time these side effects will eventually go away. They are pretty mild and something I can put up with since it is helping me with my anxiety."

Dianne711 February 10, 2016