User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Review by Ash2014:

Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by pixies18:

I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by NetMan01:

I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by sfo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Life changing medicine for panic disorder and anxiety. Zero side effects save for slight insomnia on days 1-3 and a bit of muscle weirdness and stomach pain (similar to ibuprofen) in week 1. Most days I am a normal person now. Still supplement with clonazepam for trigger situations on occasion, but most of the time I can focus on life without panic distracting me.

July 31, 2014 12:22 AM

Lexapro is amazing. I was blind sided by a panic attack when I was 22. This panic lead to being anxious which lead to obsessive thoughts about feeling poorly, ultimately causing male depression (not sad but lack of lust for life). It was a viscous cycle, I'd obsess over being anxious and this caused me to be more anxious. I had so a dozen symptoms ranging from dizziness to blurry vision to stomach discomfort. It just made no sense to me how all this was related. Long story short, started Lexapro, first 2 weeks made everything worse that just as quickly as it can't the anxiety and obsessive thoughts were gone. Wow up one day and my mind went racing! Would recommend and encourage people not to get discouraged if it doesn't work immediately.

July 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by FinallyHopeful:

All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by MStetzer:

Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by AngryGerbil:

I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month):

250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

February 26, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by LivingAgainAndHappy:

I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by MM2x:

I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 7:47 PM