User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed escitalopram for anxiety and panic attacks. I did not have any difference in anxiety and instead suffered from extreme depression and suicidal thoughts within a few weeks of being on it. My doctor made me promise to try this one for at least 6 weeks and the feeling only got worse and worse. I had to slowly ween myself off (as warned to do), and feel 100x better with that stuff out of my system. Apparently this side effect is rare, but very scary."

Amandatron August 24, 2015

"Started on 5mg then moved up by 5 each month, currently on 15mg moving to 20 next week. I call this my miracle pill! First 5 days were hellish, worsened anxiety, headaches, tiredness, jaw clenching and just feeling out of it. But please stick it out! It's so worth it. I feel better than I have in years. I could hardly leave my house. Now I've done more in the past few weeks than I have in a year! Only reason I didn't rate it 10 is because I'm still not on recommended dose and still have a way to go. But all in all this has helped me so much. I'm a better person on this medication. Please try it. You don't have to suffer."

All good names are taken August 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Been on Lexapro for 2 days. Horrible nausea, headache. My husband asked the pharmacist about help with this. She recommended an over-the-counter liquid called Ematrol. Used by children and adults. It helped. Also sipped ginger ale as needed. Feel very out-of-body, shaky but trying to stick it out as everyone seems to say the first day/week is hell, but then all is good. Am continuing on Klonopin, per my psychiatrist's recommendation, until the Lexapro kicks in. Will try taking it at night, as this seems easier to "ride out" the side effects through sleep."

mattkend August 16, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Absolutely ineffective for my GAD....stuck with it for a year based on pdoc advice. Now I have to deal with tapering. What a mistake that has been. Additionally, I have tried several other ssri's as well as a few ssri's all to no avail. Suicidal thoughts, intolerable side effects, lack of any efficacy. Without Benzodiazepan's I would not be here now."

Johnny Joe August 16, 2015

"I had panic attaches and anxiety for more than 5 months until I started on escitalopram. if feel much better after 2 weeks. i am still on this medication since 4 months a go. the Dr recommended to stay on this med for 1 to 1.5 year. i highly recommend this med to people with medium to severe anxiety and panic disorders. What I also realized that my headaches nearly gone and i started eating and living well as i have not had any anxiety before."

DarkKnight_2015 August 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I read these reviews which helped me to make a decision to take this med so I will add my experience in the hopes it will help others. I am 56, male and had two minor heart attacks 6 months ago. That and a very stressful job caused many sleepless nights and some stress and anxiety. My Doctor suggested lexipro a few times and I finally decided to give it a try. I was prescribed 10 mg and broke them in half as a trial so 5 mg to start.The first 2-3 days I felt no change but by day 3-4 the side effects kicked in hard. Nausea, severe hot flashes, fullness and tightness in chest, fogginess, very anxious feelings. I decided to stop after 6 days and was worried about any withdrawal but the day I stopped I felt much better. just my experience."

Here's my story (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on Lexapro for 2 years. Just recently switched to Effexor and Klonopin. Lexapro never really did much for me. At first, after the 2-week adjustment to the medicine which was hell, I thought it worked. But it may have just been placebo more than the medicine. Had multiple serious near life-changing anxiety attacks while on Lexapro which is why I switched. I couldn't be happier for switching. If you have anxiety, don't waste your time with an SSRI. Also, I've stopped taking lexapro multiple times. It's not too hard, you get aggravated at everything for a few days, the brain shocks aren't nearly as bad as people say they are."

GoJoGoJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "On my fourth day now taking this and I feel so much better. The first 2 days were hell for me. Side effects just like everybody else says. I felt like I was dizzy, nauseous, and had diarrhea. It just made me feel strange. But by the third day I felt amazing. I still felt a little weird at first but the side effects wore off quickly and then and began to stop overthinking things so much. It's almost as if I just started to feel at peace with everything like I was just laid back which is not how I ever was. No more of that chest pain or heavy breathing or sickening nervous feeling. Even my girlfriend could notice a difference in me as I was not so wound up about everything. just happy I can feel normal again"

N89 August 6, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I encountered a bout of hypochondria when Doctors couldn%u2019t diagnose some pain I was having. Slight worry turned into full-blown panic attacks and daylong anxiety. With anxiety comes a bunch of physical symptoms and I was certain each one of those symptoms was more proof of me having some sort of undiscovered health condition, feeding into the anxiety. My physician suggested I try going on Lexapro for 6 months and I was at the end of my rope so I reluctantly agreed. Side effects were horrible but they went away and within 1 month of my first dose I was completley back to normal. I've now been off it for 6 months and its like my entire episode never happened. Lexapro saved my life."

RustyShackleford August 3, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I love this medication! I have been on it for about a year and it has made my life so much better. I had been living with severe anxiety and depression. After starting lexapro, I had some side effects such as the weird dreams, nausea, dizziness, and increased anxiety. After 2 weeks, I started to feel so much better! I now have less anxiety and I have not had a panic attack in 6 months! It is amazing how great I feel. Finally, I can live my life like a normal 24 year old! My advice to anyone who is on this medicine is to stay on it! It is worth it!"

Court court August 2, 2015

"I'm a hypersensitive and socially anxious person. After reading a tons of information about my issue, i decided to try a SSRI, Lexapro especially. I began using Lexapro 10mg about two weeks ago. It's a miracle drug, after just 4-5 days, my hypersensitivity and social anxiety almost gone!. I also notice a significant improvement in my premature ejaculation, which's a positive side-effect to me. What most people didn't know about SSRI, is that they acually don't reduce anxiety alone, scientific research suggest that they actually reduce "neuroticism", which include anxiety, fear, moodiness, worry, envy, frustration, jealousy, and loneliness"

Mustapha$ (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

"I started on lexapro about week and a half ago 10mg. I had anxiety and panic attacks so bad due to my job I couldn't even leave the house gripped in fear that I'll have another attack. I basically felt like my life as I knew it was coming to an end. My family was looking at me weird, close friends too. When I started this drug it increased my anxiety and I felt like I had the flu without the fever. The first 3 days were very hard to say the least, every side effect I felt. Then after about the 4th day I started to feel good. 7 days later I'm back to being me with no attacks, mild anxiety maybe twice every 10 hrs or so... So, I'm telling you to stick with it. You'll come out on the other end of things and start to feel some normalcy."

Bando (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I just finished reading all these reviews about Lexapro, just prior I was reading all the reviews from people trying to get off Lexapro.. Crazy the things people go thru to get on this medication and then just as crazy the things you go thru to get off it. So what to do???? I have been on Lex for approx. 18 months my Dr put me on when there was a lot going on in my life and i told 'I had shopping cart rage" :) among others issues. I too went thru all the crap in the beginning and felt just stick it out. I did and I survived and things seemed better. fast forward 18 months later I thought my life has calmed down and I wanted off the meds. I also have Ambien and Xanax that I take "as needed" which isn't often. I ask my Dr about getting off"

Anonymous July 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

"I have taken Lexapro 5-10mg for at least 15 years. It was effective for me within a few days of beginning. My anxiety causes me to be bad tempered and sometimes explosive. (the straw that broke the camel's back). I am calm, more focused, and am able to follow through with tasks better. I don't know that I have experienced side effects other than trouble falling asleep. I am 79 years old and it could be an "old person thing"."

Nalee (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2015

"This medicine has been a life saver. I was scared to take it because of all of the side effects that i read about but the only side effects i experienced were headache, slight appetite loss, and tiredness (I switched to taking this medicine at night and that took care of the tiredness). For me the side effects only lasted about a week or two which wasn't bad at all, and I started feeling a change in my anxiety and mood within a few days. This medicine has allowed me to be happy, and I haven't been able to feel happy for this many continuous days in years. The thing that this medicine has helped the most for me is my social anxiety, now I can actually go out in public and be myself and I don't have to worry what others think of me."

Lynn192 July 6, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 2 weeks of crazy bed gripping anxiety, shakes ,fear ,throwing up in the bathroom and WTF is this stuff - calmness is kicking in big time. Glad that I stuck to it, but boy was close to throwing it in bin. Stick with it feeling in total control at the moment. Will report back in a couple of weeks."

Rj006 June 27, 2015

"I am over 70 after a lifetime of coping with PTSD following severe childhood trauma. I was past 40 before finally having a diagnosis, None of the medicines I tried in therapy were truly effective so I was resigned to a limited life attempting to control symptoms of anxiety and of course, depression. After three months of taking this medication, I am still astounded by the sense of quiet at the center of me. When I need to go out (to the store, or to walk my dog) I just go, with no strategizing over how to avoid people. I want to post this for other people with chronic PTSD. Try this. It may work for you too. Life is peaceful and much easier now."

Older Citizen June 23, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015