User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Emzie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For my particular situation (which was EXTREMELY stressful), this medicine was just what I needed during the time that I took it. It took the edge off. This allowed me to overlook the pretty bad side effects which were most prevalent during the first 3 months of the year that I took it in: uncontrollable appetite, weight gain of 50 lbs over the year, lethargy, and irritating anorgasmia. However when my surroundings became less stressful, I began to realize that the Lexapro was causing me to feel one constant emotion: numb. In my experience this is pretty constant with SSRIs, but it was very prevalent on Lexapro. However I've noticed that my body has particularly unusual responses to medications. This is only my experience.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 3:34 AM

Review by Dissapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I only rated this a 7 out of 10 because the medicine definitely helped my anxiety and mood disorders tremendously, but I gained 20 lbs in 6 months! I haven't really changed my lifestyle or eating habits, so this makes it depressing. It is like a double-edged sword. I went to the doctor today and she suggested switching to over to Prozac, however, I have read that many people also gain weight from that so I am hesitant to take it. I stopped taking the Lexapro 4 days ago and am going to wait to see if I can handle no medicines at all!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by Zappo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It made my anxiety and depression worse while I was on it. During the six months it took me to wean myself off of this medication, my anxiety and depression were significantly worse than before I began taking it. I later read on PLOS Medicine that my experience is fairly typical.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by Doing Much Better (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on the medication for about 6 months now. I used to be one of those people that frowned upon others taking these sort of medications. Until one day, out of no where, I was struck with major anxiety, which then caused me to become depressed. I'd avoid social gatherings. I'd have complete nervous breakdowns about meeting up with friends. Every morning was a battle to go into work and face my colleagues. I started drinking heavily. If I had to go out, I'd take a shot to calm my nerves. I went to the Dr. and she prescribed me. Ever since taking the medication, I'm pretty much back to who I used to be. I feel free again. I'd recommend this to anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression.

June 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by Vectron (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Hi, I have been on this pill for 5 years, and they have worked great, until 6 months ago when they just stopped working! I was on 20mg this is a common problem with escitalopram, and my blood pressure went far to high, also the weight gain is terrible, my doctor put me on 20mg of Prozac and I now feel so much better and the weight is coming off. I just stopped taking escitalopram and went straight on to Prozac with no side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by FinallyHopeful:

Lexapro (escitalopram): All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by AveryMarieeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

When I started to experience extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and depression last spring at 20 years old, I didn't know what I was feeling. I help hopeless and often questioned the purpose of life. I couldn't explain why I felt this way, but I know it wasn't me. It came out of NO WHERE. I vowed to myself that if I could get through this, I would help others in their journey to get through it as well. It will be a year since I started escitalopram and I can truly say it saved my life and has made me a much happier and appreciative person. You never know know much you take everyday happiness and serenity for granted until you mind is never at rest. If you are struggling, please give this medication a chance and don't be afraid to get help.

March 26, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by MStetzer:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by AngryGerbil:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): 250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

February 26, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by LivingAgainAndHappy:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by Lori_48:

I'm 48. First time I had an anxiety in the grocery store, and a few other times, it scared me, did not want to feel that feeling again. I checked with my Doctor and he prescribe me this medication. I was very nervous to take such a thing, because I've never been on this or any other medicines. So he started me on a small dose. I've been on for 4 weeks now. The first 2 days I had some side affects with a headache and not sleeping. On the 3rd day the side affects went away. The 5th day I started to feel good to go outside, walk the dog, just to get out of the house and get back to normal things that I used to do. I'm very happy that I started this medicine. I'm hoping that I won't have to take it for long. The medicine is awesome! Wish you well!

February 12, 2014 7:15 PM

Review by lkgrkjtewllkflvrhmhthtrkjfdmdlf (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking Cipralex 3 weeks ago for depression, severe anxiety/social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder-like behavior and an eating disorder. I know it's only been 3 weeks but I cannot even BEGIN to describe how thankful I am that I finally got the help I needed. I feel FANTASTIC. The obsessive, anxious thoughts have gone away, and the giant hamster wheel spinning in my head at 1 million miles per hour has finally stopped. I can think, I can breathe, I can function. Thank you Cipralex.

February 5, 2014 6:45 AM

Review by MM2x:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by snwbrd:

I feel compelled to share my experience because I know there are others out there like me. I have suffered with panic disorder with agoraphobia for the past 10 years. It has slowly taken my life from me. On top of it all I have a huge pill phobia. I tried Prozac, made it 2 days and tried Zoloft, made it one day. Therapy alone didn't help. I decided I had to do something. I tried Lexapro. Yes, there are side effects in the beginning. Yes, the anxiety gets worse (take Xanax). Yes you feel nauseous (try Cola and crackers). Yes there's trouble sleeping (watched movies). Yes, theres a headache (took Tylenol). After six days the side effects began to lift. I know its a long road to go but I'm feeling better. If I can do it anyone can.

January 27, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by Poshbird1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I used to be on 200mg of sertraline but after 12 years on this medicine I started having severe problems with anxiety after a good friend's death, this eventually led to a near breakdown 3 years later when my anxiety became so bad I could barely function. My Dr suggested I switch to escitalopram. I was terrified of making this switch & put it off for weeks but eventually decided to 'take the plunge'. 4 days later and my anxiety levels are already reducing HUGELY! I wish I'd taken this sooner & can't believe how easy the switch was. I literally stopped taking my 200mg of sertraline one day and started taking 20mg of escitalopram the next. This stuff's a life saver!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 11:59 PM

Review by RandomGuy1381 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Upon first starting escitalopram I experienced some mild side effects of insomnia, jaw grinding, and a small increase in anxiety. After a week the symptoms pretty much subsided. I took it for 6 more weeks at 20mg and felt no difference in my mood or anxiety. Only the insomnia remained. So I stopped the medicine. Nothing positive, nothing hugely negative.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was sceptical about taking meds such as this. However, I had been dealing with so much stress that it had taken a toll on me and life seemed to be falling apart, even though I was always everyone turned to. My doctor prescribed 10mg once daily and it has been a miracle. I did cut back to only 5mg a day and take it at night, as it does make me sleepy. I am so much happier, more energy and a different outlook. I am 39yrs old and feel like it again. Only been on the med 3wks and I have nothing negative to say.

December 22, 2013 9:21 PM