User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 192 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"Hi all, I really hope someone still reads this and responds. I started taking Lexapro about 4 days ago and I have been feeling awful. I am on 5mg and I take it right before bed but it causes me to wake up in a panic I feel like shaky sometimes I'm hot and then I'm cold because I blast the air. I went to the ER because it made me feel so bad and it scared me however they just said it was side effects and stick it out. I'm just hoping to get some relief knowing someone else has experienced at least sort of the same thing. I want to stick it out because I suffer from anxiety and it keeps me in the house all the time and my thoughts just won't stop but this medicine seems to be making things worse. Someone please tell me that it does it better!"

Akeem26 May 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I have been diagnosed with GAD, doctor prescribed me escitalopram 10 mg. I'm on week 3 and still with some side effects such as head pressure, insomnia and thinking a lot. Can someone let me know how long it will take to feel ok?"

Rodry (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

"I've been on this for 9 weeks now for anxiety and depression. Firstly may I say that I took Sertealine and had an awful experience so I put off taking any more medication for 8 months. When I finally tried Excitalopram the initial week was a bit grim but it has now evened out. I am definitely less anxious but depression is only just starting to lift now. Overall though I am hopeful that given time this will work more fully.Now a few points worth remembering ... 1. We are all different so what works for me may not work for you & vice versa. 2. Please give any medication a fair amount of time to get through the initial side effects ( 2 weeks ish) and to start to get to work ( 4-6 weeks) and to see its full effect 3 months. Hope this helps."

Half full (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"I have taken Lexapro 20mg for two years now for anxiety and it has been great. I do feel tired through the day at times, but I gladly take that in comparison to panicking all day for no reason. This stuff can work if you give it a chance."

Jmuncie25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

"I have been on cipralex for 4 weeks now and my doc increased it to 40mg however when I was on 30mg I didn't have as mugh anxiety. I feel the drug has helped more with my depression but my anxiety is still severe. I take lorazepam also twice a day and seroquel at nite to sleep. I'm just hoping it gets better with my anxiety. I also take seroquel 25mg as a prn. I've been told to be patient but it's so hard when you don't feel good."

Shamaras April 9, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

"I have been suffering from anxiety for 3 years now, was on citalopram for 2 years and slowly came off them up until a couple of weeks ago where my anxiety came back with a vengeance, my doctor recommended Escitilopram and apart from the first week of the drug getting into my system and causing a sicky feeling and a empty head, once I past that feeling after a week or so my anxiety had disappeared and is now non existant, now I can move on with my life"

Nickathome (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"I was on klonopin for 7 months but sometimes I would still notice I had anxiety so I decided to change to Zoloft. It made me so sick. When I switched to lexapro a few weeks later it made my anxiety kinda worse and nauseated. I will just stick to the klonopin for now."

Queenbee6234 March 24, 2016

"For the past 3 years I've suffered from increasingly bad Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I also had mild OCD, by the end of the third year I was having regular panic attacks. I tried accupuncture, CBT, herbs, supplements and Lorazepam (I took about 5 pills over a year) but nothing worked. I was completely against taking anti-depressants until I just couldn't get out of bed for a week. I was prescribed Cipralex. I take 5mg a day. The change is amazing. I feel like my old self again. The tightness in my chest is gone. I do still get anxiety in the morning and especially on Mondays but I hear that will subside as the drug regulates in my system. I feel like I can handle my stresses again. I'm still doing CBT to work on stress."

Dandelion73 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Been on this medicine for around 5 weeks, 10 mg. Been the happiest I have been in awhile! I really love this medication, I have finally got myself out of the darker place I was before. So glad that it's working, and I'm feeling better day to day. Still some anxiety but I can deal with it, depression is completely gone, I can socialize no problem. terrific"

CalPAL March 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro (or the Escitalopram version in my country) was almost immediately successful in treating my anxiety and extreme rage issues. I've been using it for 8 months, but experience one major side-effect: constant tiredness or lethargy. I've tried taking it at other times during the day, but no change. I sleep really well at night, have vivid dreams, am more creative and able to solve problems - if I can stay awake during the day. Get really drowsy two hours after taking this and can easily nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I'm no longer a bitch, but also no longer awake. So will have to choose between being mentally sharp or being anxious and angry all the time."

Nottheearlybird (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro changed my life for the better! I had anxiety and needed help. My doctor put me on 15 mg lexapro and the first month was not fun as my body was getting used to the drug. I had dry mouth, sweating and problems sleeping but after a month the side effects went away and I feel normal again. I bumped it down to 10 mg and have been on it for 2 years"

Amy 1530 March 10, 2016

"I have been taking escitalopram for just over 3 months now and have noticed an incredible positive difference. I started off on 5mg and moved up to 10mg and then 15mg. The first few weeks were difficult, I won't lie...I did experience many of the side effects, including: nausea, loss of appetite, increased anxiety/suicidal thoughts, irritability, loss of sex drive, and dry mouth. For the first week or two even the SMELL of some foods would make me so nauseous I couldn't eat them. I doubted whether I could get through it, I quit my job and was a complete wreck... I could barely leave the house. This medication changed my life; I am now able to do things I couldn't even dream of doing, and am more social. STICK IT OUT! :)"

SCRL (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Began 10mg daily. First day was difficult. Severe mood swings, heightened anxiety, baseless anger, etc. Advise anyone beginning this to 1) begin on a day off and 2) have someone around to keep an eye on you. That ended at the second day, when I only took half-pills. Now that I am a week in, taking the full 10mg and things settling down nicely. Yawning is annoying and my normal night-owl life is riddled with deep, restful sleep, but I am calmer and less angry all the time."

J. Scott H. March 8, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been taking Lexapro for about 8 months now and it has done me wonders! I have not once had an anxiety attack since, and it has helped me with my depression as well! I highly recommend it!"

HarmonyLacee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): ""I was given Lexapro from my Psych recommended by my therapist for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally for many yrs by faith workingout meditation yoga and eating healthy. I am 37 suffering with severe panic-anxiety attacks which started while I was pregnant and involved DV with the dad who is a angel dust addict. I was always against taking any kind of meds not even for a headache so the thought of taking a drug everyday was scary I was diagnose with PTSD and anxiety. Its early since I just took my first dose last night and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness this morning even though I slept 8hrs when I was only sleeping 3-4 at most. I still feel very anxious I will check-in 2-3 wks"

Miraclesoul777 March 2, 2016

"I had suffered debilitating anxiety and depression for 4 years prior to going on this drug. My brain would not shut up. I would suffer just sitting there as my brain made me hyper aware of my own thoughts, feelings and anxiety. My head was a noisy mess. I couldn't relax. I was regularly very stressed for no reason. I would think about things that bothered me often. My relationships suffered. This drug made my mind silent. This drug gave me my life back. It made me better. It took some time to work (about 8 weeks) but when it did it was amazing. The thing is when your sick like this you feel hopeless. It feels like nothing at all can make you better: that you are doomed. This drug can make you normal again!"

Lukas 45 March 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Feeling alive again but still having panick attacks. I've been on 10mg for the past month but I noticed every time I have drinks, the next day I have nasty pânic attacks. They are awful. Its been only a month. Does it get better after 2 months. I like this medicine, I feel alive again. I wanna jump out of my bed and go to the gym at 6am like before! I haven't felt like this in a year! Before all I wanted to do was sleep and stay attached to my bed. I love this med but i think I'll need to upper the dose for my anxiety. :'("

Xuxuzeti (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016