User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Review by FinallyHopeful: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 2:41 PM
Review by AveryMarieeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

escitalopram: When I started to experience extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and depression last spring at 20 years old, I didn't know what I was feeling. I help hopeless and often questioned the purpose of life. I couldn't explain why I felt this way, but I know it wasn't me. It came out of NO WHERE. I vowed to myself that if I could get through this, I would help others in their journey to get through it as well. It will be a year since I started escitalopram and I can truly say it saved my life and has made me a much happier and appreciative person. You never know know much you take everyday happiness and serenity for granted until you mind is never at rest. If you are struggling, please give this medication a chance and don't be afraid to get help.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 11:33 AM
Review by MStetzer: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM
Review by AngryGerbil: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM
Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM
Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): 250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 3:22 PM
Review by LivingAgainAndHappy: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM
Review by Lori_48: User Rating:

escitalopram: I'm 48. First time I had an anxiety in the grocery store, and a few other times, it scared me, did not want to feel that feeling again. I checked with my Doctor and he prescribe me this medication. I was very nervous to take such a thing, because I've never been on this or any other medicines. So he started me on a small dose. I've been on for 4 weeks now. The first 2 days I had some side affects with a headache and not sleeping. On the 3rd day the side affects went away. The 5th day I started to feel good to go outside, walk the dog, just to get out of the house and get back to normal things that I used to do. I'm very happy that I started this medicine. I'm hoping that I won't have to take it for long. The medicine is awesome! Wish you well!

February 12, 2014 7:15 PM
Review by lkgrkjtewllkflvrhmhthtrkjfdmdlf (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

escitalopram: I started taking Cipralex 3 weeks ago for depression, severe anxiety/social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder-like behavior and an eating disorder. I know it's only been 3 weeks but I cannot even BEGIN to describe how thankful I am that I finally got the help I needed. I feel FANTASTIC. The obsessive, anxious thoughts have gone away, and the giant hamster wheel spinning in my head at 1 million miles per hour has finally stopped. I can think, I can breathe, I can function. Thank you Cipralex.

February 5, 2014 6:45 AM
Review by MM2x: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2014 7:47 PM
Review by snwbrd: User Rating:

escitalopram: I feel compelled to share my experience because I know there are others out there like me. I have suffered with panic disorder with agoraphobia for the past 10 years. It has slowly taken my life from me. On top of it all I have a huge pill phobia. I tried Prozac, made it 2 days and tried Zoloft, made it one day. Therapy alone didn't help. I decided I had to do something. I tried Lexapro. Yes, there are side effects in the beginning. Yes, the anxiety gets worse (take Xanax). Yes you feel nauseous (try Cola and crackers). Yes there's trouble sleeping (watched movies). Yes, theres a headache (took Tylenol). After six days the side effects began to lift. I know its a long road to go but I'm feeling better. If I can do it anyone can.

January 27, 2014 9:41 AM
Review by Poshbird1971 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I used to be on 200mg of sertraline but after 12 years on this medicine I started having severe problems with anxiety after a good friend's death, this eventually led to a near breakdown 3 years later when my anxiety became so bad I could barely function. My Dr suggested I switch to escitalopram. I was terrified of making this switch & put it off for weeks but eventually decided to 'take the plunge'. 4 days later and my anxiety levels are already reducing HUGELY! I wish I'd taken this sooner & can't believe how easy the switch was. I literally stopped taking my 200mg of sertraline one day and started taking 20mg of escitalopram the next. This stuff's a life saver!

January 25, 2014 11:59 PM
Review by RandomGuy1381 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

escitalopram: Upon first starting escitalopram I experienced some mild side effects of insomnia, jaw grinding, and a small increase in anxiety. After a week the symptoms pretty much subsided. I took it for 6 more weeks at 20mg and felt no difference in my mood or anxiety. Only the insomnia remained. So I stopped the medicine. Nothing positive, nothing hugely negative.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2014 5:12 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

escitalopram: I was sceptical about taking meds such as this. However, I had been dealing with so much stress that it had taken a toll on me and life seemed to be falling apart, even though I was always everyone turned to. My doctor prescribed 10mg once daily and it has been a miracle. I did cut back to only 5mg a day and take it at night, as it does make me sleepy. I am so much happier, more energy and a different outlook. I am 39yrs old and feel like it again. Only been on the med 3wks and I have nothing negative to say.

December 22, 2013 9:21 PM
Review by Wildalaska: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I love Lexapro! It helps me stop drinking, lose weight and I have way less anxiety now. For all those people that have sexual dysfunction, try taking it at night right before bed, after sex. I have no problems in that area now!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 19, 2013 8:31 PM
Review by ermology: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Good but gave me runs and gas.

December 14, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by ashz30 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I suffer from hypochondria and panic disorder. I was so afraid to take medication. After 2 years I finally took Cipralex. It has made my anxiety a lot more tolerable. I've had a few major panic attacks but overall good experience. I've been on 20mg for 2 years.

December 10, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by LEAKFIXA: User Rating:

escitalopram: I am on my third day, the panic attacks have already got less. I feel dizzy all the time hoping this will get better. I am a 53 year old male.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2013 11:01 AM
Review by N.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I am a 26 year old who has had anxiety since I was a child. I've gone through rough spots on and off throughout my life where I would feel extremely anxious and nauseous all of the time. I finally decided to do something about it when I started experiencing panic attacks on top of it all. Lexapro along with seeing a psychologist saved my life. I went into this knowing there is no "magic" pill out there - I still have good and bad days like everyone, but NOTHING like how bad I felt before. When I initially began taking the medicine, it made my anxiety worse - I told my doctor and he adjusted the dosage to a smaller amount. I felt tremendously better in just about a week, and have continued to feel better and better.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 30, 2013 6:28 PM
Review by Kristinamarie: User Rating:

escitalopram: I am 23 years old and have been on Lexapro for 7 months for anxiety. I decided to come write a review because I remember when I was first prescribed Lexapro I was in a bit of a panic. I didn't know rather or not to take it and looked for as much information as I could. Most of the review I read were negative but I was in such a bad place that I chose to still give it a try. So, I want there to actually be a good review out there for people to see and read. I can say that Lexapro changed my life. My extreme anxiety is gone. I sleep normally and I feel like a new person. The only complaints I have, is that I am always tired and it KILLED my sex drive. Love it.

November 23, 2013 2:36 AM
Review by djdaekfugy: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I am a 30 year old female who has suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life and it got worse after I had my daughter. Two years after she was born, I couldnt take it anymore and I had to get help. I talked to my doctor and was put on Lexapro, 10 mg. I hated it at first. I was dizzy and "swimmy" feeling, couldnt sleep, couldnt eat, felt out of it, couldn't care less about things that were going on. This only lasted about a week! Then, I could gradually feel myself getting used to it. My next appt, my dosage was upped to 20 mg (he started me on 10 because he wanted to ease me into it knowing I was a mom and worked full time; i still needed to function). Let me just say that Lexapro SAVED MY LIFE!! I love it and swear by it!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 18, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by flipp: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Life saver for my anxiety

November 4, 2013 8:49 AM
Review by Life changer (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

escitalopram: Escitalopram stick with it. I went on 10mg for my anxiety. I'm 47 years old and I have never taking anything before but it was time to live my life without anxiety. I felt tired, really weird for about 3-4 weeks. I didn't know if I could live feeling like this on escitalopram. Needless to say after a couple months all the kinks worked themselves out. I wake up feeling like I have never felt before. Relaxed, happy and ready for anything. I cannot believe I lived so long itch the anxiety because now I feel great. My advise is to keep with escitalopram because it takes awhile but when your body chemistry accepts it. Your life will change.

October 22, 2013 2:39 PM
Review by Renni: User Rating:

escitalopram: Great reduction in symptoms. I have virtually no anxiety symptoms at all now. Am in the process of weaning off now. Have taken 10mg for 6 years. Went to 7.5mg for about 2 months and now down to 5mg. No negative side effects with weaning off this slowly.

October 15, 2013 2:04 AM