User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I'm a hypersensitive and socially anxious person. After reading a tons of information about my issue, i decided to try a SSRI, Lexapro especially. I began using Lexapro 10mg about two weeks ago. It's a miracle drug, after just 4-5 days, my hypersensitivity and social anxiety almost gone!. I also notice a significant improvement in my premature ejaculation, which's a positive side-effect to me. What most people didn't know about SSRI, is that they acually don't reduce anxiety alone, scientific research suggest that they actually reduce "neuroticism", which include anxiety, fear, moodiness, worry, envy, frustration, jealousy, and loneliness"

Mustapha$ (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

"I have taken Lexapro 5-10mg for at least 15 years. It was effective for me within a few days of beginning. My anxiety causes me to be bad tempered and sometimes explosive. (the straw that broke the camel's back). I am calm, more focused, and am able to follow through with tasks better. I don't know that I have experienced side effects other than trouble falling asleep. I am 79 years old and it could be an "old person thing"."

Nalee (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2015

"This medicine has been a life saver. I was scared to take it because of all of the side effects that i read about but the only side effects i experienced were headache, slight appetite loss, and tiredness (I switched to taking this medicine at night and that took care of the tiredness). For me the side effects only lasted about a week or two which wasn't bad at all, and I started feeling a change in my anxiety and mood within a few days. This medicine has allowed me to be happy, and I haven't been able to feel happy for this many continuous days in years. The thing that this medicine has helped the most for me is my social anxiety, now I can actually go out in public and be myself and I don't have to worry what others think of me."

Lynn192 July 6, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

"After 2 weeks of crazy bed gripping anxiety, shakes ,fear ,throwing up in the bathroom and WTF is this stuff - calmness is kicking in big time. Glad that I stuck to it, but boy was close to throwing it in bin. Stick with it feeling in total control at the moment. Will report back in a couple of weeks."

Rj006 June 27, 2015

"I am over 70 after a lifetime of coping with PTSD following severe childhood trauma. I was past 40 before finally having a diagnosis, None of the medicines I tried in therapy were truly effective so I was resigned to a limited life attempting to control symptoms of anxiety and of course, depression. After three months of taking this medication, I am still astounded by the sense of quiet at the center of me. When I need to go out (to the store, or to walk my dog) I just go, with no strategizing over how to avoid people. I want to post this for other people with chronic PTSD. Try this. It may work for you too. Life is peaceful and much easier now."

Older Citizen June 23, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I'm introverted and suffered some depression and anxiety due to a recent IRS audit and personal problems at home , I landed in the hospital for 4 days after test on my heart etc everything cleared but stress and anxiety , I'm 40 and in good shape , Dr put me on Lexapro , first two weeks were brutal , emotional rollercoster and insomia, I asked my Dr if he was sure these were not estrogen pills. After two weeks I started to feel awesome , better then before I'm on my eighth week and lost weight , motivated to go to gym , tolerate my wife's extroverted friends , I feel better then I did my entire life , even before my depression issues , crowds and loud people go over my head nothing irritates me anymore , sexual sides I last longer win win"

Steve_09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I started on 10 mg of Lexapro in October 2014. I stayed on that dose for 2 months and felt horrible the whole time. Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, severe gas, and more anxiety. I lowered to 5mg and finally started to feel like myself. Long story short, I raised back up to 10 mg in April 2015 and haven't felt this good in years. Most all side effects gone. I have it a 10 because I couldn't hardly leave my house before. I'm finally living again. It is a process, but don't quit and don't give up. Its worth the results to stick with it."

Bradrds May 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I noticed pretty good results within two weeks- my general anxiety lowered significantly, but I still get frequent panic attacks."

Æ May 30, 2015

"Wow, I'm still in shock as to how much this medication has changed my life in the past two weeks. I started on 5 mg for 6 days and then switched to 10 mg and I've felt happier than I have ever before in my life. I wasn't aware of the extent of how bad my social anxiety and depression were until they were gone. I have a new sense of self-worth and drive for my life that I have never felt before. I am so thankful that I have found something that has made my anxiety completely gone. The only side effect I've experienced is a little loss of appetite (used to be an emotional eater) and also have trouble staying asleep throughout the night (I think this is due to the interruption of REM sleep on an SSRI, but I could be wrong)."

Anonymous May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro saved my life and saved my mind. I have pure OCD and anxiety. I tried other anxiety medications before and was ready to give up. My primary doctor recommended I try Lexapro. I started off at 10mg and started to feel better after a month or two but was still having compulsions from my OCD (although much fewer) so I asked my Doctor to up my medication. She put me on 20mg and I have been on 20mg for more than six months now. My life has changed. I have never felt so alive and so real. I have never felt so sane. I can function for the first time in ten years at the degree someone "normal" functions act."

Claw21 May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Lexapro is great. I started when my panic attacks and depression made me unable to function at all and I was too afraid to leave my house. My thoughts would race and I was just a mess. I started on 5mg for a week which was like nothing but then upped to 10mg and after 3 weeks I was beginning to feel less anxious and more stable. After 6 weeks I'd say I felt normal. I'm going to try come off them after being on them for a year and a half. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year so for panic disorder they work fantastically well. I've experienced no side effects with this drug."

jjfh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This is the first time I have ever posted a review of anything online, but I feel an obligation to share my experience to other suffering with anxiety. I suffer from GAD which included panic attacks, muscle aches, and a horrible temper. I avoided this medication fearing weight gain (as I already gained 10 lbs over the year) and sexual dysfunction. When I explained this to my doctor, he replied "Have you ever considered whether being anxious has caused you to eat more, drink more, and maybe have sex less often?". I have been on Lexapro for 6 months now, and my only regret is not starting this treatment sooner. I have lost 15 lbs as I don't eat and drink as much anymore, and my love life has improved. Anxiety sucks. You don't have to suffer!"

Bronco79 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have suffered from mild depression/moderate to severe anxiety for several years now. I married for the second time January 2014 (blended family) which started to exacerbate all my issues! Runaway thoughts of scenarios that "might" happen and how I would react. Very emotionally unstable. Tendency to over-react immediately to minor situations (plus the run away thoughts start....) and would physically have to calm myself down. Easily irritated. Finally went to my Dr. and she put me on 10 mg Lexapro last week. The effects were evident withing 24 hours. No immediate over reaction, run away negative thoughts almost completely gone....wow. How could a little pill make such a huge difference?!?"

Mikaela - 40 yr old (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "This medication was a game changer for me. After trying Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa with no effect I thought I was destined to have panic attacks for the rest of my life. Celexa even worsened my anxiety, causing my to go to the emergency room twice. At the time i started Lexapro, i was having debilitating symptoms, atleast 1 to 2 panic attacks a day with racing heart, racing thoughts, generally feeling like I was losing my goddamn mind. After a month of the Lexapro my anxiety began to calm, I have now been on it for 3 years and am relatively symptom free. I still experience heightened anxiety and the occationally panic attack but it is so much more managable and I am able to apply coping skills successfully."

Miss Bay May 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I had anxiety symptoms such as dreading work daily, and physical symptoms such as lack of energy and almost a dizziness feeling that would start a few hours into my day and continue until I was home relaxing. This medicine has improved mostly all of my symptoms, except for the occasion day that is very stressful. I would recommend to anyone, and cannot imagine going off any time soon. Hope this helps someone else."

Anonymous May 14, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Had extreme anxiety, panic attacks, couldn't ever sleep and excessive worrying. Lexapro helped immediately I went from 10 mg to eventually 20mg it helped so much but I gained about 15 lbs. I craved sweets and carbs all the time! My Dr. told me to try to go back to 10mg but then I became very irritable, so I went back to 20mg for months. Just last night I tried 15mg...Wow! My appetite is normal, no food binges, no sleepy fog, no anxiety, and my energy already feels normal!! It is only the first day, but I am hoping this dose is my permanent one. Before Lexapro I was getting a lot of OCD type scary thoughts that would not leave my mind-made me feel like I was going crazy and now my Dr. discovered I have a genetic factor. Lifer -Lexapro"

jc0047 May 2, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've had terrible anxiety and stress problems for a few years. I've been on this medication for 2 weeks and I can feel the difference all ready .. The first week was weird... Trippy . I'm on 10mg and I'm so happy my constant worry is going.. I'm free to live again"

nic007 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015