Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 101 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Review by SAVED MY LIFE:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!

March 9, 2015 2:08 AM

Review by Beezy9913:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram): On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Toya89:

I've started Escitalopram 10mg 2 weeks ago and felt great on day 3 & 4, after that It stopped working. I'm having a hard time dealing with that, because the feeling It gave me on day 3&4 was the best I've felt all my life. I upped the dose to 20mg now it's day 3 on 20mg and still nothing.

February 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Mozarella (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on escitalopram for about 2 weeks and stilling feeling the anxiety..BUT I know I have to give it time to work and not rush the good feeling it will give in time. I was thinking maybe I need 20mg instead of 1.5mg. May visit my doctor to confrim. I know it works and time will tell.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 8:29 AM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) has saved my life twice. 8 years ago it helped pull me out of horrible depression/anxiety from postpartum depression after my 3rd child was born. I actually ended up in the ER's psych ward. This time I fell back into a horrible place at the beginning of the holiday season. No real reason this time. Just horribly depressed and full of anxiety. I take 10 mg every day and I am in my 6th week.The differences is night and day. I can sleep, eat, and enjoy life again with out waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am very grateful, and would recommend this medicine to anyone who is as scared as I was.

January 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Review by Marathon01:

Lexapro (escitalopram): It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by hcg90:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by extrAorindary (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Before Lexapro I was extremely stressed out for at least a year before taking it. Everything my boyfriend would do would cause me to snap. I would snap on family members constantly as well. If they were chewing too loud, whistling, or looking at me, I would flip out and yell. No lie here...within 2 days I had noticed a day and night difference. My boyfriend absolutely adores me now. I love who I am and I can't imagine life the way it was before. This medicine was/is a miracle to me. The only side effect I had was yawning often the first two days, but that went away. I love living life now and enjoy myself. I can't express enough how much it has helped. My life has taken an absolute 180!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 11:24 PM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): 8 years ago I had my 3rd child, a healthy baby girl, and suffered from horrible postpartum depression. My OBGYN put me on 10 mg Lexapro and after a few more terrible days and a trip to the ER I ended up in a psychiatrist office. He added mirtazapine to help me eat and sleep and in 2 weeks I was much better. I was able to stop the mirtazapine and took the Lexapro for a full year. I am so grateful to those 2 Dr's who helped me crawl out off a very dark hole. A month ago I fell back in and my anxiety kicked into high gear. I was barely functioning. After 2 weeks my psychologist put me back on 10 Mg Escitalopram. I am entering my 3rd week and feel much better. This medicine has been wonderful. Prayer medicine talk therapy.

January 12, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by mde6151 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 39 y/o female who experienced increased anxiety and finally anxiety attacks at night due to a series of health issues I was dealing with. After other treatments and trying to get off Klonopin I decided to try an SSRI. I started with 2.5 mg of escitalopram with immediate results of reduced anxiety. The next day I bumped it up to 5mg and then began experiencing terrible back pain from neck to hips and sciatica. I tried to stay on for a week but gave up and I am trying Zoloft now. Lexapro was very effective for my anxiety and panic. I did have 2-3 nights of bad insomnia that first week of Lexapro but it started to improve. I would be on it if not for back pain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 11:29 AM

Review by LineH:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by Andrew78 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was taking it with pauses for 4 years. It eradicated my anxiety but gradually it eradicated also my libido. No visual stimulation, spontaneous erections, lust and passion. I am 36 in good shape and don't have other health problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 2:18 PM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Austin Parent (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I didn't realize how bad I was until I took this medicine! I'll start back: for seven years, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and my mood deteriorated the whole time. A year before I took Lexapro, I was almost done nursing my youngest and started to get awful pelvic spasms. Then, once I finished nursing, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After that, anxiety attacks. My Dr. said, "We gotta put you on something" so I asked for something to help calm my stomach and nerve pain in my pelvis. I started on 5 mg, then 10 mg 2 weeks later. It's been 4 weeks and I'm seeing an amazing difference. Pelvic pain significantly reduced, stomach eased, and I'm happier and the "shakes" and nervousness have lessened. Still have some dry mouth, so be prepared. A !

December 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by Lori R.:

I thank God for Lexapro! I have been taking 10 mg for a year now and it has worked wonderfully! Before Lexapro I had severe anxiety & depression, now I am free of that! I was also addicted to Xanax, taking like 3-4 mg a day, now I might take 1/2 mg once every 2 weeks. I am working on not taking Xanax at all. If have doubts about Lexapro, please try it & it WILL work!

December 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by MiltonMiller:

I'm a 43yo male and my doc prescribed 10mg Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It's been 6 weeks now and I've got to say the change has been brilliant. I no longer have those really bad anxiety moments, instead I can now brush them aside if they do rear their head. I'm bursting with energy, motivated, far more outgoing, and above all much happier than prior to taking Lexapro. I now sleep like a normal human and each day I get up ready to tackle a new day with positivity and confidence. I have also seen a counsellor several times which has helped me get to the root causes of my anxiety. I would highly recommend anyone prescribed Lexapro for anxiety to do the same. Side effects have been minimal and were mainly in the first week.

November 18, 2014 1:55 AM

Review by Smartguy123 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on escitalopram for almost two years. I started at 10mg and it didn't work to well. I recently went up to 20mg because I felt anxious about every little thing like before I started. Now, I feel awesome! I'm happy at my job. I'm more social at school. I always look on the bright side. It's really cool. And, it's not like an unnatural "high" or feeling. It's just like being myself but in a general good mood most of the time. Side effect is sexual, but I don't believe in pre-marital sex anyway. It goes away after I stop taking it. But, I find myself not thinking about sexual things so much. It's a definite plus! Keeps me on the right path.

November 4, 2014 5:48 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ContessSpider:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!

October 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 6:06 PM