User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Tweetie Bird:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Ash2014:

Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets.

September 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Momo111 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I started Lexapro less than 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was extremely nauseous and threw up several time just hours after taking it my first week, so I started taking it an hour before bed (also makes me very drowsy so it helps me fall asleep). I am no longer feeling sick whatsoever. I have lost more than 10 pounds and have gained TONS of self-confidence. I highly recommend trying Lexapro.

September 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Cherb44:

The first few weeks adjusting to this medicin3 I wasn't sure if it was for me.....but I stuck with it and glad I did. My anxiety went from on average a rating on a scale from one to ten at an average of 8 down to a 3. Situations that normally would be borderline panic attack are now tolerable and even comfortable. I feel more confident and less anxious. I'm grateful for this medication.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by pixies18:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by NetMan01:

Lexapro (escitalopram): I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram): There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by sfo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Life changing medicine for panic disorder and anxiety. Zero side effects save for slight insomnia on days 1-3 and a bit of muscle weirdness and stomach pain (similar to ibuprofen) in week 1. Most days I am a normal person now. Still supplement with clonazepam for trigger situations on occasion, but most of the time I can focus on life without panic distracting me.

July 31, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by shay2:

For me escitalopram works great. Its truly a miracle in a bottle. I am usually a complete basket case and very short tempered. My irritability is out of control. I just went through a super crazy situation and I feel so calm and at peace. I've only taken 2 doses and for me personally I can see a difference. Everyone has a different reaction but mine has been positive.

July 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro is amazing. I was blind sided by a panic attack when I was 22. This panic lead to being anxious which lead to obsessive thoughts about feeling poorly, ultimately causing male depression (not sad but lack of lust for life). It was a viscous cycle, I'd obsess over being anxious and this caused me to be more anxious. I had so a dozen symptoms ranging from dizziness to blurry vision to stomach discomfort. It just made no sense to me how all this was related. Long story short, started Lexapro, first 2 weeks made everything worse that just as quickly as it can't the anxiety and obsessive thoughts were gone. Wow up one day and my mind went racing! Would recommend and encourage people not to get discouraged if it doesn't work immediately.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Emzie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For my particular situation (which was EXTREMELY stressful), this medicine was just what I needed during the time that I took it. It took the edge off. This allowed me to overlook the pretty bad side effects which were most prevalent during the first 3 months of the year that I took it in: uncontrollable appetite, weight gain of 50 lbs over the year, lethargy, and irritating anorgasmia. However when my surroundings became less stressful, I began to realize that the Lexapro was causing me to feel one constant emotion: numb. In my experience this is pretty constant with SSRIs, but it was very prevalent on Lexapro. However I've noticed that my body has particularly unusual responses to medications. This is only my experience.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 3:34 AM

Review by Dissapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I only rated this a 7 out of 10 because the medicine definitely helped my anxiety and mood disorders tremendously, but I gained 20 lbs in 6 months! I haven't really changed my lifestyle or eating habits, so this makes it depressing. It is like a double-edged sword. I went to the doctor today and she suggested switching to over to Prozac, however, I have read that many people also gain weight from that so I am hesitant to take it. I stopped taking the Lexapro 4 days ago and am going to wait to see if I can handle no medicines at all!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by Zappo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It made my anxiety and depression worse while I was on it. During the six months it took me to wean myself off of this medication, my anxiety and depression were significantly worse than before I began taking it. I later read on PLOS Medicine that my experience is fairly typical.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by Doing Much Better (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on the medication for about 6 months now. I used to be one of those people that frowned upon others taking these sort of medications. Until one day, out of no where, I was struck with major anxiety, which then caused me to become depressed. I'd avoid social gatherings. I'd have complete nervous breakdowns about meeting up with friends. Every morning was a battle to go into work and face my colleagues. I started drinking heavily. If I had to go out, I'd take a shot to calm my nerves. I went to the Dr. and she prescribed me. Ever since taking the medication, I'm pretty much back to who I used to be. I feel free again. I'd recommend this to anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression.

June 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram): I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM