User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Escitalopram Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Escitalopram to treat Anxiety

"I felt nauseated and irritable immediately after my first 10mg dose. I was angry and hostile. After the 4th day I became suicidal and attempted to take my own life. Very scary experience with this medicine."

ja2016 May 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I first started lexapro when I had a massive panic attack in October 2015 it came out of no where and after seeing doctors they disagnosed me with health anxiety.. I'm a mum of 2 and I'm always constantly worrying if I have cancer or if that niggle in my leg was something bad... After my panic attack j was put on 2.5mg and the first week was horrible.. Nauseous, feeling Crap and solo tired... After that I started feeling so much better. I'm not on 15mg and very happy.. I started letting anxiety rule me life and it was turning me into someone I wasnt.. I've always been scared of the stigma of having to me on medication to get me through life however if it helps me be a happier person and a better mum then I'm more then happy with my decision"

Mumwhoseekedhelp May 27, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Started Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg taken at 8:00am 2 wks ago for anxiety and mild agoraphobia due to worry over having an anxiety attack-a tsunami of nervousness would overwhelm me and make me fearful and filled with unease. I was always worried about why this was happening to me out of nowhere. And I avoided going to places I once enjoyed. After day 12 a switch flipped. I felt myself again, happy, easy going, not worried, not anticipating something bad was going to happen. What I cannot handle is the sleep disruption this drug has caused. Waking at 3, 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Dr. prescribed .50 mg Xanax, which is helping me through this side effect. Hopefully it will subside when my body adjusts to the serotonin levels"

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "All I can say is WOW! After the birth of my son, I developed insomnia and anxiety. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to get enough sleep and the result was not being able to sleep. In addition, I have very high expectations of myself. I work from home and was studying at the time. From this, I caused so much anxiety for myself to the point where I couldn't control my thoughts and feelings. I was prescribed Zoloft which probably made me more anxious and I was on that for a year. My GP switched me to Lexapro 4 months ago. On this med I feel like a different person. Happy, no anxious thoughts, I am sleeping like a log and am dreaming! I haven't dreamt in years and it's lovely! I have had no side effects on this drugs :)"

Brmm May 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Hello all , my esperience with lexapro is very good , first of all i head extreme panic attack all days , extreme anxiety extreme weaknes . After one week of taking i feel more powerfull no panic attacks but anxiety is still there i hope in few weeks anxiety will be gone"

Gango May 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I was told by my psychiatrist to try lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety. I have tried other medications in the past to help with it like Wellbutrin and Zoloft. They didn't help at all I got side effects right away like nausa,headaches and dizziness. So I was hoping that lexapro would help where the others didnt. I kept a positive attitude in hopes that it would make me have less anxiety. I took my first pill and 2 hrs later I felt so nauseous that I had trouble standing up without wanting to vomit. Then I starting feeling like my scalp was on fire. Also parts of my skin felt like it had a burning sensation. It didn't go away for the rest of the day. The next day I tried again and the same thing happened I wondered if with EDS if I can't take it"

Abra0517 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "My mood improved significantly with Lexapro. No anxiety or panic attacks whatsoever. However after about a week on it, I had severe diharrea. I literally was afraid to eat."

Steven1970 May 19, 2016

"I have been on escitalopram for about 4 1/2 months and I am finally anxiety free. I wanted to share my experience since I constantly read reviews here and it helped me realize the initial symptoms were happening to others. In the first few weeks I had an major increase in anxiety especially in the morning. I had hot flashes, ringing in the ears, bowel issues, wasn't hungry, and pretty much thought I was getting worse and should just quit. I read other positive reviews on here and decided to stick it out. I am glad I did. After about 8 weeks I felt improvement in my anxiety that gradually kept getting better. I used to obsess and worry about trivial things. I had anxiety about driving etc.. Now I am happy and anxiety free."

FreefromAnxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've always been an anxious person, usually I find my anxiety serves me well to stay on top of a busy household, but occasionally the anxiety is destructive instead, like after the birth of a child or difficult times. I'd had a horrid couple of years, nursing my mum to the end from cancer and eventually it caught up with me, panic attacks, health anxiety, obsession on breathing, palpitations constantly. I went straight onto 20mg as had been on this drug briefly a decade ago. The first 24 hours were weird, dizzy, disorientated, mildly nauseous and a huge panic attack. I only slept 3 hours a night for the first 2-3 days. By week 3 I sleep 8hrs a night, have energy during the day and zero anxiety. I feel great! Lexapro is great but be patient"

Mumtolots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

"Hi all, I really hope someone still reads this and responds. I started taking Lexapro about 4 days ago and I have been feeling awful. I am on 5mg and I take it right before bed but it causes me to wake up in a panic I feel like shaky sometimes I'm hot and then I'm cold because I blast the air. I went to the ER because it made me feel so bad and it scared me however they just said it was side effects and stick it out. I'm just hoping to get some relief knowing someone else has experienced at least sort of the same thing. I want to stick it out because I suffer from anxiety and it keeps me in the house all the time and my thoughts just won't stop but this medicine seems to be making things worse. Someone please tell me that it does it better!"

Akeem26 May 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I have been diagnosed with GAD, doctor prescribed me escitalopram 10 mg. I'm on week 3 and still with some side effects such as head pressure, insomnia and thinking a lot. Can someone let me know how long it will take to feel ok?"

Rodry (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

"I've been on this for 9 weeks now for anxiety and depression. Firstly may I say that I took Sertealine and had an awful experience so I put off taking any more medication for 8 months. When I finally tried Excitalopram the initial week was a bit grim but it has now evened out. I am definitely less anxious but depression is only just starting to lift now. Overall though I am hopeful that given time this will work more fully.Now a few points worth remembering ... 1. We are all different so what works for me may not work for you & vice versa. 2. Please give any medication a fair amount of time to get through the initial side effects ( 2 weeks ish) and to start to get to work ( 4-6 weeks) and to see its full effect 3 months. Hope this helps."

Half full (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"I have taken Lexapro 20mg for two years now for anxiety and it has been great. I do feel tired through the day at times, but I gladly take that in comparison to panicking all day for no reason. This stuff can work if you give it a chance."

Jmuncie25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

"I have been on cipralex for 4 weeks now and my doc increased it to 40mg however when I was on 30mg I didn't have as mugh anxiety. I feel the drug has helped more with my depression but my anxiety is still severe. I take lorazepam also twice a day and seroquel at nite to sleep. I'm just hoping it gets better with my anxiety. I also take seroquel 25mg as a prn. I've been told to be patient but it's so hard when you don't feel good."

Shamaras April 9, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram): "I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

"I have been suffering from anxiety for 3 years now, was on citalopram for 2 years and slowly came off them up until a couple of weeks ago where my anxiety came back with a vengeance, my doctor recommended Escitilopram and apart from the first week of the drug getting into my system and causing a sicky feeling and a empty head, once I past that feeling after a week or so my anxiety had disappeared and is now non existant, now I can move on with my life"

Nickathome (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"I was on klonopin for 7 months but sometimes I would still notice I had anxiety so I decided to change to Zoloft. It made me so sick. When I switched to lexapro a few weeks later it made my anxiety kinda worse and nauseated. I will just stick to the klonopin for now."

Queenbee6234 March 24, 2016