Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 129 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 861 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by JessicaI:

For Depression: I've been on Cipralex (escitalopram) for about three years. I've had to increase the dosage a few times in order to get consistent results, but I am overall happy with this medication.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:05 AM

Review by extrAorindary (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Before Lexapro I was extremely stressed out for at least a year before taking it. Everything my boyfriend would do would cause me to snap. I would snap on family members constantly as well. If they were chewing too loud, whistling, or looking at me, I would flip out and yell. No lie here...within 2 days I had noticed a day and night difference. My boyfriend absolutely adores me now. I love who I am and I can't imagine life the way it was before. This medicine was/is a miracle to me. The only side effect I had was yawning often the first two days, but that went away. I love living life now and enjoy myself. I can't express enough how much it has helped. My life has taken an absolute 180!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 11:24 PM

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: 8 years ago I had my 3rd child, a healthy baby girl, and suffered from horrible postpartum depression. My OBGYN put me on 10 mg Lexapro and after a few more terrible days and a trip to the ER I ended up in a psychiatrist office. He added mirtazapine to help me eat and sleep and in 2 weeks I was much better. I was able to stop the mirtazapine and took the Lexapro for a full year. I am so grateful to those 2 Dr's who helped me crawl out off a very dark hole. A month ago I fell back in and my anxiety kicked into high gear. I was barely functioning. After 2 weeks my psychologist put me back on 10 Mg Escitalopram. I am entering my 3rd week and feel much better. This medicine has been wonderful. Prayer medicine talk therapy.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by Bowj:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work.

January 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by HKJ:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by jesb:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by mde6151 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm a 39 y/o female who experienced increased anxiety and finally anxiety attacks at night due to a series of health issues I was dealing with. After other treatments and trying to get off Klonopin I decided to try an SSRI. I started with 2.5 mg of escitalopram with immediate results of reduced anxiety. The next day I bumped it up to 5mg and then began experiencing terrible back pain from neck to hips and sciatica. I tried to stay on for a week but gave up and I am trying Zoloft now. Lexapro was very effective for my anxiety and panic. I did have 2-3 nights of bad insomnia that first week of Lexapro but it started to improve. I would be on it if not for back pain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 11:29 AM

Review by LineH:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by Andrew78 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I was taking it with pauses for 4 years. It eradicated my anxiety but gradually it eradicated also my libido. No visual stimulation, spontaneous erections, lust and passion. I am 36 in good shape and don't have other health problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 2:18 PM

Review by willie jay:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by Jamie Lynn F:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on this medication for 4 months now. It has been the first antidepressant to not only help with my everyday anxiety, depression and panic attacks but I have also had no side effects after taking it for the first month. I was overeating before I started with this medication and since I am no longer depressed all the time I have been able to lose some weight and get back to a more average weight for my height. I did have some sexual side effects throughout the first month but my body has adjusted and I no longer have those issues. I take this with Trazodone at bedtime and have also been sleeping a lot better since I started my medications. I would recommend giving it a try if you are dealing with anxiety or panic attacks.

December 29, 2014 11:15 AM

Review by cj rose (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Zoloft for 5 years and it was horrible for first 4 months! Then it began to work. But after 5 years and had recently upped to highest dose, it stopped working. So after discussion with psychiatrist, decided to try Lexapro. I was weaning slowly off the Zoloft and was doing good then boom! Horrible brain zaps, unorganized thinking, it was terrible! Psych told me to start with a quarter of a 10mg tab, as I continued to wean of the Zoloft. The very next day was great...no more brain zaps, mood stabilized because the side effects from weaning off Zoloft were gone! I'm now on the full 10mg Lexapro and down to about 10mg of Zoloft. Lexapro is great so far. I am well pleased. I also take 1mg Klonipin twice daily.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by freeasabird (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I started taking Lexapro after years of anxiety and constant feelings of doom and gloom, it came to a head about 4 years ago and I was seriously considering suicide, anyway I started going to counseling and taking 20 gms of Lexapro, I worked my way through it and about 2 months ago went cold turkey after cutting down to 10 mg for about 6 months. I got bad head spins and felt really tired but I'm coming good now, the interesting thing is that while I was on Lexapro my craving for beer went through the roof and I went from two stubbies a day to sometimes 20 and couldn't get enough. I lived for beer, now I'm off Lexapro I have lost that craving and the beer actually tastes bad so all good. I wonder now whether Lexapro was really doing anything

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by hellofromSouthAfrica (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Had 3 panic attacks in total..last one was big. So I went to the doctor, I was thinking I was having a stroke! After that experience I was very anxious! I could not learn or do anything! I was a mess for about a few weeks. So I my psychologist said I have Generalized anxiety disorder and of my passing of my father a few years ago and bullying in school lead to all this. I started with Lexapro and after 3 days I stopped it made me feel so sick and I had university exams coming up so I started it again 3 weeks ago and the strange thing is I have little side effects! First day I struggled with sleeping and I tend to feel tired in the morning and afternoon, But I hope that's goes away soon. Anxiety is much better. I'm on 10mg. Waiting for my best results at 4-8 weeks!

December 17, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by lilyab (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Suffered from mild anxiety and mild depression as well as moderate PMDD. This medicine at 5mg has literally transformed my life. I was worried about weight gain as I had an eating disorder before, but I haven't gained a pound or lost a pound. I am the person I used to be, I don't yell and scream from PMDD anymore. The first week I had headaches, and vivid dreams but that goes away, now the only side effect I have is very entertaining detailed dreams; its neat actually.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Austin Parent (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I didn't realize how bad I was until I took this medicine! I'll start back: for seven years, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and my mood deteriorated the whole time. A year before I took Lexapro, I was almost done nursing my youngest and started to get awful pelvic spasms. Then, once I finished nursing, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After that, anxiety attacks. My Dr. said, "We gotta put you on something" so I asked for something to help calm my stomach and nerve pain in my pelvis. I started on 5 mg, then 10 mg 2 weeks later. It's been 4 weeks and I'm seeing an amazing difference. Pelvic pain significantly reduced, stomach eased, and I'm happier and the "shakes" and nervousness have lessened. Still have some dry mouth, so be prepared. A !

December 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by Lori R.:

For Anxiety: I thank God for Lexapro! I have been taking 10 mg for a year now and it has worked wonderfully! Before Lexapro I had severe anxiety & depression, now I am free of that! I was also addicted to Xanax, taking like 3-4 mg a day, now I might take 1/2 mg once every 2 weeks. I am working on not taking Xanax at all. If have doubts about Lexapro, please try it & it WILL work!

December 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM