User Reviews for Escitalopram (Page 2)

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 7 reviews 39 medications

Bipolar Disorder 29 reviews 33 medications

7.4
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1183 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I am in college and finally started to get help for my depression and anxiety. My counsellor sent me right to the health center when I told her my symptoms because they were both so bad. I was severely depressed, suicidal, and had severe anxiety. They put me on lexapro for the quick results. I took it the next morning and was taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of class because of a severe anxiety attack. I had never had one before and it was terrifying. I do not blame this medicine but don't be afraid of something that may take longer. Lexapro just didn't work for me. I now take Zoloft and have no problems. Just be cautious."

AsM08 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Having great success with escitalopram for anxiety. Have been taking 10 mg daily over 4 weeks now. First AD med I have ever taken and I was quite resistant. But after months of struggling, my life was going downhill quickly. Losing sleep, no appetite, missing work. So glad I got help! Most noticeable start up side effects were some increased anxiety (which thankfully was offset by clonazepam the Dr prescribed), insomnia, complete loss of appetite, and some constipation. These all disappeared in less than 2 weeks and I am now sleeping and eating well with very little anxiety. When I do feel anxious, I can control it instead of it controlling me! I feel my normal self again:)"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I went to my OB GYN to ask about Lexapro for some major depression & anxiety I was experiencing. Lexapro had worked quite well for a friend of mine. I had previously taken Zoloft a few years prior & it made my post-partum depression worse. I had great hopes for this drug, but it unfortunately did NOT work well for me. I felt like a zombie. I believe it gave me psychosis. I also experienced my first panic attack after being on 10 MG for 3 days. I then took 5 MG for two more days and stopped taking it all together. Still 3 months after stopping I am having panic attacks with some psychotic features. I've pulled myself out of that deep depression though. Still have bad days occasionally, but I'm only taking Xanax as needed."

Landonsmommy1014 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My 15 yr old daughter has multiple diagnoses. ODD. ADD. Anxiety and Depression. We have used several different meds over the last few months to aid with behavioral issues like constant anger and opposition with occasional explosive outbursts of anger and focus & concentration in school. She has been on 10 mg Lexapro daily for a little over a week and I can see a huge difference in her already. I feel like I have my daughter back. We can have a conversation without an argument. She seems so much more peaceful and generally happy. I see so much of a difference, I don't think she even needs the Daytrana patch for ADD now. Other meds we have tried are Effexor, Concerta, Adderall, & Stratera."

MotherOfAnxiety January 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was put on Lexapro by my family doctor in May after experiencing chest pain and elevated blood pressure. Test were done to make sure I wasn't experiencing a heart attack before my doctor determined that stress was my issue. For the first several weeks I had increased anxiety, loss of appetite and vivid dreams. I was quite sure this medicine wasn't for me. My doctor encouraged me to keep taking it and prescribed Ativan to help me get through some rough days. After being on Lexapro for 8 months now, I can honestly say I feel better than I have for years! I had no idea how much anxiety I had until it went away. I'm so thankful for this medicine and for my doctor who encouraged me to try it."

Jilly01 December 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am 49 1/2 and today I can tell you I am happy, positive and full of hope. I am on 10mg of Lexapro just finishing up my 8th week. I also have Ativan for emergencies and I still need Ambein to sleep. Before taking Lexapro I was always anxious and easily overwhelmed. Then I had too many thing happen in a short time period that caused me to have a melt down. Three trips to the ER with one of them a short stay in a Unit after Celexa caused me to have suicidal thoughts. I was constantly worrying about everything. I couldn't eat, sleep but with Lexapro my appetite came back in just the first 3 days. I was very scared to try another drug after Celexa, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be back better then new. Take a chance."

Thereishopeagain:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I had been feeling some general depression and anxiety for 6-8 months. Nothing specific, just everything seemed to pile up. I felt like I couldn't get the negative thoughts out of my head. Dr prescribed 10mg Lexapro, I got the generic escitalopram. Day 1, I felt like the anxiety was dissipating, but I did have bad nausea and loss of appetite for 12 days. On the 12th day, I woke up, anxiety is gone, nausea is gone, and I am hungry for the first time in a while. I am hopeful that this isn't just a 'good day', but that the side effects are finally gone. First 12 days were rough. Stick with the meds, always keep something in your stomach, even if it's just a cracker, and good luck! For me, plain apple sauce, Canada dry ginger ale were helpful."

Chris_from_KC December 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I was very skeptical about going on medication and I was really against it but after a big breakdown and not seeing the light, I took lexopro. I kept reading the reviews daily for hope as it took along time for the medication to kick in. Please give it 8 to 10 weeks! Now thoughts that would upset me just don't. It helps to lift the heavy fog and help you to live a normal life again. I still have anxiety at times but I am slowly increasing and it is helping. Thank you lexopro you really are a miracle. Dont give up guys!"

Aussiegirl9 December 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed lexapro for severe generalised anxiety and moderate depression (the depression was a result of the anxiety). I'm on day 16. I experienced some mild nausea and increased anxiety for the first 2 days, and headaches for about 5 days, but after day 5 the only remaining side effects are being jittery on and off, and a feeling of tightness in my chest at times. I started feeling decreased anxiety from day 3, and by day 7 the anxiety was significantly less. The depression got better from about day 5. Overall, at day 16, I feel significantly better and am living my life as I used to, for the most part."

Liz S December 28, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Was on fluoxetine for 20 years. Initially I thought they wouldn't help me. At first I felt worse, but then one day, three months later I realised I felt like my old self again. It was wonderful. The only time I had anxiety was whenever I tried to stop taking my tablets, otherwise I was completely 'normal'. Then the most awful thing happened. I had surgery this year ( not the first time I've had surgery) and when I woke up from the anaesthetic I was suffering from severe anxiety. I was terrified. I increased my dose of fluoxetine but after 4 months of severe anxiety, I reluctantly asked to try another SSRI. I noticed a difference almost straight away. Now after taking them for 5 weeks I'm almost back to my old self."

sxp339 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Like many others have written, this drug has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have been taking it for about 1 year and have been too busy feeling good to write a review. Before: I was plagued with extreme panic, afraid to be alone, afraid to take a shower, constantly worrying, "what if" scenarios, thought I would have to quit my job, lost weight because of NO appetite. Now: all I can say is pretty much living like a normal person! I do feel anxious at times, but I didn't want to turn into a robot w no feelings! I am thriving at work, socially have made new friends, can concentrate so well (this might be my favorite part), no sexual side effects whatsoever, weight maintained at a healthy level. 5mg I am so thankful for this drug"

PM12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was first diagnosed with depression in 1999, and was put on meds. My life was better than normal, and I was very happy. This fall, however, the meds just stopped working. I was put on Escitaloram (after another medication did not work) three days ago, and I can feel it working already. I believe in this medication, and I feel you should give it a try."

keepmetogether December 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been in a really bad funk for as long as I can remember and have been through a good amount. I won't go into details because its not relevant. Also felt like my brain was foggy and mind constantly racing. I have social anxiety as well. I am on day two of lexapro and I think it's working already. I feel warm inside, peaceful and am interacting with people so easily. It's strange. I can't explain it bit I feel peaceful, happy and not anxious. I haven't felt this way in a long time. I get drowsy and my eyes get heavy randomly through out the day. I've also started smiling randomly. I know this is sort of vague, I wanted to be straight to the point. I really hope this is it and I have found the right medicine and hope this lasts!"

SWDup December 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "Moved and my new doctor took me off Paxil and put me on Escitalopram. Works better than Paxil with no side effects. I function like a normal person. I get little anxiety attacks out of nowhere, but if I sit down and still my thoughts, the butterflies go away. My doctor gave me a script for klonipin for the attacks, it works well, but I only take if it gets bad. Can't drive taking klonpin, feel a little too mellow."

Drb10848 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 22, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This is a miracle to me. I've been in prison most of my life. My anxiety was so bad that I finally listen to my girlfriend and talk to my doctor about it. She prescribed me escitalopram. Thank god for this medicine the only side effects constipation and stomach cramps. Now I have a job and making the best of every day. Life is beautiful seek help if needed. :)."

Kayak fishing. December 22, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been on a few other anti-anxiety meds over the past decade. The last one I was on was an absolute nightmare, so I vowed to NEVER take meds again. Since then, I tried natural remedies, exercise etc. to combat this constant agitation and anxiety I have been feeling. I couldn't really be in the moment and enjoy. I've been on 10 mg. of Lexapro for over 2 months now and haven't felt this good in a forever (it seems). I feel normal again and I actually want to get out and do things. I see now how severely depressed/anxious I have been for so long. This medication has given me my life back. I have not gained any weight, thus far and have stayed the same. Everyone is different, so I feel very lucky that this is working for me."

Lillakri02 December 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Very good for GAD mixed with depression. I felt worse for 2 months but then felt amazing :) give it a chance"

Vee88 December 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "After being on Prozac for 5 years( for PMDD, and general anxiety) I took myself off of it against my Doctors better judgement, and thought I was doing okay until a series of moderate to severe anxiety attacks. I saw my doctor and I was prescribed Escitalopram, and the best thing about it is I have NO OCD recurrences and very little high/low emotional disruption. I am posting this because I'm not a 'Poster', or a frequent flyer on forum sites, but I've been off my Escitalopram for about 2 weeks. I ran out and the USPS is taking a little more time than usual to deliver. I'm a MESS. Racing thoughts, crying a lot, fidgety. TOTALLY not like myself when I'm on my meds. Escitalopram is the best for me. Don't stop taking it without your docs okay."

Missus E December 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking lexapro for two months now for depression and anxiety. The first 3-4 weeks I took 10mg and I felt amazing. I had loads of energy and actually felt social for once. After those 3-4 weeks however the happy feeling faded and I was plagued with fatigue and unable to get anything done. I couldn't keep my eyes open in class or to study. So I decided to wean off of it and am now taking 5mg every other day. I still get the great feeling for about 20 after taking it, and then I feel fairly, but not as tired as I was on 10mg, and unenthused by anything. I'm not sure if I want to keep taking it or not."

Anonymous December 19, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I am tapering off of Paxil and on to generic Lexapro by taking one-third my normal dose of Paxil at night and a half dose of escitalopram in the morning. On the fifth day I will just be taking Lexapro at 20 mg daily, per my doctor. I am doing fine, but back when I first started my Paxil in 2009, I had an initial spike in anxiety; I had upped my dose too soon on the advice of a social worker without checking with my doctor, and I was extremely anxious, so I took Xanax temporarily with the Paxil, and I gradually started feeling better over a few weeks, and over the years Paxil has helped. I'm switching to Lexapro, though, since I have started to gain a little weight, and I hope that I can lose those pounds by swiching."

Afraidoffearingfear (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I just got prescribed lexapro today! I've had depression & anxiety for 9 years and I've tried 5 other anti depressants but unfortunately none of worked. I've also tried 3 different psychologists an they didn't really help either! So I am so excited to start lexapro tomorrow! From the reviews it sounds amazing! Also funny this but my friend told me last week about lexapro (she uses it for anxiety) and she said it's been amazing! And now I've been prescribed it! Yay"

EsraD December 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was started on 5mg for anxiety that was severely disabling me. I had a dreadful jittery nervous feeling all the time, couldn't lift a cup of coffee without spilling it because of the shakes, had a dreadful nauseous seasick feeling. When I started the medication I felt a lot worse for about a week but gradually I began to notice a difference. Shakes were not so bad, could hold my teeth together without chattering. Then the nausea subsided. My doctor decided to increase the dosage to 10mg. It was hell for a week. The symptoms were back with a vengeance. Then after a week they settled down, I began to feel very calm and centred and my anxiety was hugely lessened. This medication has been a lifesaver."

RaySharp (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am on Lexapro for my anxiety and depression. I am on 10mg at first and it helps me to decrease my anxiety. Now I am on 15mg and there seems to be no effect ! I am really confuessed now! Because the medication is making me gain weight and my heart feels weird"

Anonymous December 18, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed Lexapro 1 and 1/2 months ago for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression. The first day I took it, I was a bit nauseous but that never happened again. After a week my depression improved quite a bit, but my anxiety remained. It took, I'd say, about 5 weeks for the anxiety to improve. It's not completely gone, but I am finding that I am 1. in a much better mood than I have been in a long time and 2. My worry/anxiety has definitely decreased. It hasn't changed ME, it has changed the way I look at things. I have had no other side effects, and the medication is definitely working."

Janie81 December 16, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I got on this med Sept.2015. I had anxiety mixed with fear to take it. I am on the 10 mg dose and get depressed and anxiety when on it. Slowly it worsened to the point I couldn't attend school. I this normal!? I have experienced the lack of wanting to eat and hating food in the start of being on it.Then my hunger spiked past its norm; I was eating like there was no tomorrow. Now being close to Xmas and off it for a bit I feel more snappy. If you are/ have experienced this I hope this helped."

jessiebear25 December 16, 2015