User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 129 medications

7.5
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 935 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Please, please give it a chance to work. The first week my anxiety ramped up. A few days in I was so sick in the morning I was concerned I may be pregnant (nope, the meds did it). But the nausea subsided and the anxiety slowed down and at about 5 weeks in it was basically gone. Xanax helped, but I no longer need it now. Prior to this I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I couldn't focus and I was filled with terror and unreality. Lexapro made these symptoms go away. I don't have constant thoughts and I don't live 'in my head'. Please give it a chance. Stick it out, I promise it worth it, if you felt anything like I did you deserve to feel better and it saved me from the looney bin. I have my life back. 5 mgs. to start and now on 10"

HipMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro has truly changed my life. I take it for Anxiety. I used to have anxiety everyday very bad. My heart would beat fast, and I would get butterflies in my stomach. Before I started taking it, I was very timid. Very shy and not good around big groups of people. I felt "socially awkward" ...After a few months of taking Lexapro I became so much more confident. I do well in big crowds. The only reason I did not give it 10 stars is because sometimes I do still get anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I def recommend this drug for anyone who has anxiety. Give it a try. It could change your life like it changed mine.1 other thing I don't like is it does make me a little drowsy no matter what time of the day or night I take it"

Anonymous April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro saved me! I started this two weeks ago and could tell a huge difference after a few days! My anxiety was getting the best of me before I started this medicine. I was having anxiety while driving in the car. I finally realized I needed something to help me. My doctor gave me Lexapro. It works! I did feel like a zombie at first but that side effect is fading away. Lexapro has given me my happiness back!"

TLDM April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety."

t-j-r April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference."

Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "I took 2.5 mg. for about a week and it helped incredibly. Then I began taking 5 mg. and after a few weeks I realized that it didn't help as much as the 2.5 mg. that I took before so I went back to taking only 2.5 mg. and it really helps. If it doesn't help you need to try taking different amounts and see what works for you."

allie1472 April 22, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I'm a 66 y/o female with what I think is "atypical depression", meaning I am not melancholy and not unduly anxious, but suffer from what I lovingly call "homocidal irritation," which can escalate to rage pretty easily. Lexapro (10mg) over the past 8-9 yrs has been a lifesafer, as any of my friends will readily corroborate. If I go off for a few days (refill issues), they can tell! However since my mother died 3 yrs ago and ended my 13-year role as caregiver, I have sunk into a very narrow life, with few interests, a morbid aversion to human interaction, and often a complete inability to get out of bed and tend to the simple basics, like eating, showering, and dressing. Have added 20mg of Wellbutrin to the mix, but so far no improvement."

riknavpdx (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can."

ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "For the past year and a half I have been suffering from GAD. It started off as minor hypochondria and slowly festered into major anxiety attacks and physical symptoms. Mostly at night my heart would race, I would get brain zaps and numbing in my arms. I would panic and thought I was dying. Occasionally I could calm myself down but sleeping was almost non existent. For the longest time I refused to see my dr about it. I didn't want to admit I had a problem. And no way did I have a condition that needed to be medicated!! Not me! Finally my husband called my Dr and set me up an apt. I am so thankful he did.I saw my dr and she reassured me that I'm normal. She prescribed me 10mg of lexapro and it had made a WORLD of difference.I highly reccomend"

Lmill (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "After many, many, many medications, this is the ONLY one that has ever helped!"

Chey Nickole (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner."

BE2015 April 13, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been on 10mg of Lexapro 3 days. Day one: I was really dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. Day 2: was awful. I kept throwing up a few hours after taking it. It felt like a hangover and flu mixed. Everything hurt. By the end of day 2 I noticed I wasn't spending my day planning, thinking, and breaking down tiny details. I was in the moment. It was a little boring at times but it was extremely refreshing. It was amazing to want to go do things without having to make sure everything was thought of. There were no rushes of chest pains. I felt like I should tell everyone how wonderful it was like not be consumed by thought. Day 3: light dizziness and sore muscles. light anxiety after an argument and a concert. I have very high hopes now."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I had been experiencing a period of anxiety and racing negative thought processes. This was followed by a spell of depression, so my doctor put me onto 10mg of escitalopram. The first couple of weeks were very up and down, and I felt really tired a lot of the time; also sometimes my moods would cycle very quickly (within a day) from depressed to highly anxious. I stuck with it, as I had read good reviews about it, and by week 3 I began to feel "normal" for the first time in years!! No anxiety, no racing thoughts, no depression. I've been sleeping well for the first time in ages. My relationship with my family and boyfriend have improved DRAMATICALLY. I feel like a changed person."

lizzle (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Made my anxiety even worse, was unable to make it past a couple weeks."

Th3Machin3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great."

Mariusz88 April 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again."

Katzanddogz April 9, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me."

Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had crippling anxiety for about a decade (childhood to early twenties). Panic attacks, social anxiety, and "generalized anxiety" were some of the titles I had gotten. Bottom line I couldn't interact with others, perform simple tasks, speak in public, make eye contact, the list goes on. I had HORRIBLE anxiety panic and depression for years. I developed a pretty serious drinking problem because I was not being treated for anxiety! I was suicidal and finally sought help. Lexapro 10mg at first. I didn't feel different the first month or so. You need to give Lexapro time! I am 100% a different person. People think I am calm, confident, and put together. I feel no panic. No irrational anxiety. It saved my life."

Callieee April 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro made everything worse for me. Had horrible side effects! Teeth clinching, headaches, zombie like, no energy, insomnia and horrible nightmares. Had to stop after 3 days."

Anonymous April 3, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've struggled with anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 20. I'm 31 now and it flared up again this year, so I started on 5mg of escitalopram after seeing my doctor. The first few weeks were really hard. I felt sick and had no appetite at all - great for weight loss! But not very nice feeling so nauseous. I also felt much much more anxious, really horribly panicky at times, I felt quite desperate. I'd say it took 3-4 weeks to subside and since then I've felt so so much better. I'm calmer and more positive and less plagued by anxious thoughts all the time. I just feel like me again. It's quite an incredible medication & I'm so grateful that its there & it works. The first few weeks are really hard but it's so worth sticking with it!"

Jem83 April 3, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered from every type of anxiety in the book. I could barely go to the grocery store. I got started on 5 mg a few weeks ago. The first week I took this I felt amazing -- more energy, more motivation, happier etc. The second week I felt horrific. So depressed and borderline suicidal (which I never dealt with before). I got scared that the meds would not work. DON'T GIVE UP. Now on the third week I feel much better. I feel like I used to mostly and normalized. Not super peppy like the first week, maybe a little more tired and slightly foggy, but nothing compared to how I felt with anxiety. Most importantly, I have ZERO obsessive thoughts. Mind you I am still eating well, no caffeine, no alcohol and exercising daily."

j12348029 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm 15, have Aspergers, use it 20mg every day. Cant live without."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I had been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a year. I, like many others thought I had something physically wrong with me. Several trips to the ER led me to the diagnosis of anxiety disorder/panic attacks. I was prescribed Xanax which I took 3-4 times a day to try to control the anxiety. My anxiety ended up leading to depression. I started on Lexapro just over 3 weeks ago. I was initially afraid to take it but I didn't want to continue on the Xanax that often. The truth is Lexapro gave me my life back! If I would have known that it would helped me like this I could have not suffered for so long. I'm so glad I decided to try it!"

Ecstatic (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Lexapro was the first medication for what was first diagnosed as adjustment disorder and later major depressive disorder. Lexapro (escatalopram) had me relaxed within a couple of days. I was so chilled. Any more relaxed and you'd think I was asleep. I have a highly stressed involved workplace where I lead teams of people and I was able to get my patience, communicative persona, positive outlook and collaborative nature back on track. My home life improved immensely. I was able to regain my perspective on the importance of issues meaning I could let small things go. The most important thing is I felt better in myself. I was so happy until two years down the track. Unfortunately it stopped working."

Julza March 26, 2015

For Depression: "Switched from Lexapro to generic escitalopram. Big mistake. Suicidal after 3 weeks. No problems for many years prior."

Pennylan32011 March 24, 2015