User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 746 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Doing Much Better (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been on the medication for about 6 months now. I used to be one of those people that frowned upon others taking these sort of medications. Until one day, out of no where, I was struck with major anxiety, which then caused me to become depressed. I'd avoid social gatherings. I'd have complete nervous breakdowns about meeting up with friends. Every morning was a battle to go into work and face my colleagues. I started drinking heavily. If I had to go out, I'd take a shot to calm my nerves. I went to the Dr. and she prescribed me. Ever since taking the medication, I'm pretty much back to who I used to be. I feel free again. I'd recommend this to anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression.

June 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by Caily:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Began this medication about 5 weeks ago. Currently taking 15mg (escitalopram) and obsessive worrying is SO much better/decreased. Minimal side effects in the beginning: some dizziness, some nausea but only at 5-10mg, tiredness that went away and so now take medicine in the morning as it will cause insomnia if I take it in the evening. My sleep is better, appetite better and I am back to exercising and anxiety is decreased. I am told I can continue to see results up to 12 weeks.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Saffwoo7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've been taking Cipralex (Escitalopram) for 7 weeks and I feel generally more laid back, intrusive thoughts are easier to brush off and overall a good start.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Antimeds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.

May 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by Vectron (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: Hi, I have been on this pill for 5 years, and they have worked great, until 6 months ago when they just stopped working! I was on 20mg this is a common problem with escitalopram, and my blood pressure went far to high, also the weight gain is terrible, my doctor put me on 20mg of Prozac and I now feel so much better and the weight is coming off. I just stopped taking escitalopram and went straight on to Prozac with no side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Tuesday6464:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking escitalopram for 5 days now. This is the first time I have tried generic and I feel like the side effects are much more intense than with the real Lexapro. I remember feeling a little cloudy last time but this time I am having full blown anxiety and panic attacks everyday. Feel like my whole body is shaking and my legs feel weak. Been having to take Xanax to alleviate this and that makes me extremely tired. Going to stay on for a few more days but if this doesn't subside I am going to ask to switch off the generic.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Carant:

For Depression: I had really bad anxiety/depression from switching schools last year. So much anxiety that I couldn't eat much or would throw up in the morning before school. Lexapro helped me significantly. Really helped calm my thoughts and made me happier. The only downside for me is the drowsiness. I feel super tired after taking it, but I'm going to try taking it at night now verses in the morning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by ccbarista (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It was not fun for the first couple weeks. I was dizzy, couldn't sleep, nauseous, and couldn't eat. I lost 6 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm an already thin 5'8" female who went from 120 to 114lbs in a matter of days. Moving past this, Lexapro has helped me so much. I'm also on Lamictal, so the combination is working well for me. I actually feel like I can talk to people, whereas before I was so scared of being judged that I couldn't even talk to customers at work. I can now ask people to hang out. I'm still very self conscious (I won't pretend it's a miracle medicine that fixes everything), but it has gotten me to a place where I can actually start working on improvement, whereas before I was so paralyzed I couldn't even begin.

May 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by xyz123:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - always in Limbo. Have only been on Cipralex (5mg) a few days and I already feel better. I have been an OCD sufferer for years, tried nearly all medications and only Prozac worked but the side effects made me stop. Without medicines I was getting worse and now I hope to start getting my life back. On such a low dose I have no side effects. Hoping all you guys with OCD get better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2014 9:38 AM

Review by BacktoJenn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am a 22 year old female college student. I wanted to write this because when I was at my lowest of low when I felt absolutely hopeless... these positive reviews are what got me through the day. I experienced a lot of change. I was also in a relationship that made me unhappy. I stopped doing the things I liked to do such as run, party, work, hang out with friends etc. In result, I never had energy. I constantly felt guilty. I cried everyday, sometimes multiple times of day. I went to group therapy. I dropped 10lbs in two weeks. I eventually got on this medicine & the first 4 days felt crazy & tired! TAKE AT NIGHT. Give this medicine time! Now 3 weeks in I am back to myself and am truly happy! Keep your head up.

April 29, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Rhianeetha:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by Rene9:

For Depression: Day 3. Feel a bit better mood wise, who knows what's to come. Side effects, etc.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by xx0011all:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by TS80:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by Andrew Jeff:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After being diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro. I was very skeptical. I finally took it after having a few days with me debating whether or not to take it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm only a few days into it but I can feel a difference. I'm a little dizzy and find myself yawning when I first take my dose of 10mg, but that usually goes away. I also had to use the restroom several times, but overall not a lot of side effects. I'm surprised and pleased so far and I'm sure I'll have to up my dose in a few months.

April 6, 2014 5:50 PM