User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 127 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 848 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by willie jay:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by Jamie Lynn F:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on this medication for 4 months now. It has been the first antidepressant to not only help with my everyday anxiety, depression and panic attacks but I have also had no side effects after taking it for the first month. I was overeating before I started with this medication and since I am no longer depressed all the time I have been able to lose some weight and get back to a more average weight for my height. I did have some sexual side effects throughout the first month but my body has adjusted and I no longer have those issues. I take this with Trazodone at bedtime and have also been sleeping a lot better since I started my medications. I would recommend giving it a try if you are dealing with anxiety or panic attacks.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 11:15 AM

Review by cj rose (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Zoloft for 5 years and it was horrible for first 4 months! Then it began to work. But after 5 years and had recently upped to highest dose, it stopped working. So after discussion with psychiatrist, decided to try Lexapro. I was weaning slowly off the Zoloft and was doing good then boom! Horrible brain zaps, unorganized thinking, it was terrible! Psych told me to start with a quarter of a 10mg tab, as I continued to wean of the Zoloft. The very next day was great...no more brain zaps, mood stabilized because the side effects from weaning off Zoloft were gone! I'm now on the full 10mg Lexapro and down to about 10mg of Zoloft. Lexapro is great so far. I am well pleased. I also take 1mg Klonipin twice daily.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by freeasabird (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I started taking Lexapro after years of anxiety and constant feelings of doom and gloom, it came to a head about 4 years ago and I was seriously considering suicide, anyway I started going to counseling and taking 20 gms of Lexapro, I worked my way through it and about 2 months ago went cold turkey after cutting down to 10 mg for about 6 months. I got bad head spins and felt really tired but I'm coming good now, the interesting thing is that while I was on Lexapro my craving for beer went through the roof and I went from two stubbies a day to sometimes 20 and couldn't get enough. I lived for beer, now I'm off Lexapro I have lost that craving and the beer actually tastes bad so all good. I wonder now whether Lexapro was really doing anything

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by hellofromSouthAfrica (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Had 3 panic attacks in total..last one was big. So I went to the doctor, I was thinking I was having a stroke! After that experience I was very anxious! I could not learn or do anything! I was a mess for about a few weeks. So I my psychologist said I have Generalized anxiety disorder and of my passing of my father a few years ago and bullying in school lead to all this. I started with Lexapro and after 3 days I stopped it made me feel so sick and I had university exams coming up so I started it again 3 weeks ago and the strange thing is I have little side effects! First day I struggled with sleeping and I tend to feel tired in the morning and afternoon, But I hope that's goes away soon. Anxiety is much better. I'm on 10mg. Waiting for my best results at 4-8 weeks!

December 17, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by lilyab (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Suffered from mild anxiety and mild depression as well as moderate PMDD. This medicine at 5mg has literally transformed my life. I was worried about weight gain as I had an eating disorder before, but I haven't gained a pound or lost a pound. I am the person I used to be, I don't yell and scream from PMDD anymore. The first week I had headaches, and vivid dreams but that goes away, now the only side effect I have is very entertaining detailed dreams; its neat actually.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Austin Parent (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I didn't realize how bad I was until I took this medicine! I'll start back: for seven years, I was either pregnant or breastfeeding and my mood deteriorated the whole time. A year before I took Lexapro, I was almost done nursing my youngest and started to get awful pelvic spasms. Then, once I finished nursing, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After that, anxiety attacks. My Dr. said, "We gotta put you on something" so I asked for something to help calm my stomach and nerve pain in my pelvis. I started on 5 mg, then 10 mg 2 weeks later. It's been 4 weeks and I'm seeing an amazing difference. Pelvic pain significantly reduced, stomach eased, and I'm happier and the "shakes" and nervousness have lessened. Still have some dry mouth, so be prepared. A !

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by Lori R.:

For Anxiety: I thank God for Lexapro! I have been taking 10 mg for a year now and it has worked wonderfully! Before Lexapro I had severe anxiety & depression, now I am free of that! I was also addicted to Xanax, taking like 3-4 mg a day, now I might take 1/2 mg once every 2 weeks. I am working on not taking Xanax at all. If have doubts about Lexapro, please try it & it WILL work!

December 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by rabirabo:

For Depression: Whenever I took a single tablet I got awful heartburn.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by KH411:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!

November 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Kody G.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by J.M.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Louis 45:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by MiltonMiller:

For Anxiety: I'm a 43yo male and my doc prescribed 10mg Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It's been 6 weeks now and I've got to say the change has been brilliant. I no longer have those really bad anxiety moments, instead I can now brush them aside if they do rear their head. I'm bursting with energy, motivated, far more outgoing, and above all much happier than prior to taking Lexapro. I now sleep like a normal human and each day I get up ready to tackle a new day with positivity and confidence. I have also seen a counsellor several times which has helped me get to the root causes of my anxiety. I would highly recommend anyone prescribed Lexapro for anxiety to do the same. Side effects have been minimal and were mainly in the first week.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 1:55 AM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM