User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 734 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Vectron (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: Hi, I have been on this pill for 5 years, and they have worked great, until 6 months ago when they just stopped working! I was on 20mg this is a common problem with escitalopram, and my blood pressure went far to high, also the weight gain is terrible, my doctor put me on 20mg of Prozac and I now feel so much better and the weight is coming off. I just stopped taking escitalopram and went straight on to Prozac with no side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Tuesday6464:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking escitalopram for 5 days now. This is the first time I have tried generic and I feel like the side effects are much more intense than with the real Lexapro. I remember feeling a little cloudy last time but this time I am having full blown anxiety and panic attacks everyday. Feel like my whole body is shaking and my legs feel weak. Been having to take Xanax to alleviate this and that makes me extremely tired. Going to stay on for a few more days but if this doesn't subside I am going to ask to switch off the generic.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Carant:

For Depression: I had really bad anxiety/depression from switching schools last year. So much anxiety that I couldn't eat much or would throw up in the morning before school. Lexapro helped me significantly. Really helped calm my thoughts and made me happier. The only downside for me is the drowsiness. I feel super tired after taking it, but I'm going to try taking it at night now verses in the morning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by ccbarista (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It was not fun for the first couple weeks. I was dizzy, couldn't sleep, nauseous, and couldn't eat. I lost 6 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm an already thin 5'8" female who went from 120 to 114lbs in a matter of days. Moving past this, Lexapro has helped me so much. I'm also on Lamictal, so the combination is working well for me. I actually feel like I can talk to people, whereas before I was so scared of being judged that I couldn't even talk to customers at work. I can now ask people to hang out. I'm still very self conscious (I won't pretend it's a miracle medicine that fixes everything), but it has gotten me to a place where I can actually start working on improvement, whereas before I was so paralyzed I couldn't even begin.

May 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by xyz123:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - always in Limbo. Have only been on Cipralex (5mg) a few days and I already feel better. I have been an OCD sufferer for years, tried nearly all medications and only Prozac worked but the side effects made me stop. Without medicines I was getting worse and now I hope to start getting my life back. On such a low dose I have no side effects. Hoping all you guys with OCD get better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2014 9:38 AM

Review by BacktoJenn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am a 22 year old female college student. I wanted to write this because when I was at my lowest of low when I felt absolutely hopeless... these positive reviews are what got me through the day. I experienced a lot of change. I was also in a relationship that made me unhappy. I stopped doing the things I liked to do such as run, party, work, hang out with friends etc. In result, I never had energy. I constantly felt guilty. I cried everyday, sometimes multiple times of day. I went to group therapy. I dropped 10lbs in two weeks. I eventually got on this medicine & the first 4 days felt crazy & tired! TAKE AT NIGHT. Give this medicine time! Now 3 weeks in I am back to myself and am truly happy! Keep your head up.

April 29, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Rhianeetha:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by Rene9:

For Depression: Day 3. Feel a bit better mood wise, who knows what's to come. Side effects, etc.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by xx0011all:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by TS80:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by Andrew Jeff:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After being diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro. I was very skeptical. I finally took it after having a few days with me debating whether or not to take it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm only a few days into it but I can feel a difference. I'm a little dizzy and find myself yawning when I first take my dose of 10mg, but that usually goes away. I also had to use the restroom several times, but overall not a lot of side effects. I'm surprised and pleased so far and I'm sure I'll have to up my dose in a few months.

April 6, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Ami05:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I WISH Lexapro worked for me like it seems to for everyone else. The first few weeks were a nightmare (tired, nauseous, dizzy, panic attacks), but it did get me out of the deep slump I was in. Then I seemed to get better out of the blue but for the past couple of weeks I've slowly been slipping back into that slump. I've been on it about 2 months. It's causing me to have the most bizarre nightmares. I can't stop thinking about them during the day. I feel like a total zombie too, no emotion whatsoever. I guess that's why I feel like my anxiety has been eased. I've NEVER felt like this before, it's just bizarre.

April 5, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Nepaflyguy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered from GAD for most if my life. In the last 10 years it had slowly gotten worse and side problems showed like health anxiety, physical symptoms like back pain, neck pain, lump in throat, etc. Worry had taken over my life....unfortunately I didn't notice it associate most of these things with GAD. But it had been effecting my family for sometime. Got to the point where my wife moved out and filed for divorce. I finally made the decision to try an SSSRI. I had tried in the past but had rare side effects from all I tried. I started Lexapro 5mg and within 5 days began to feel better. Then after a few weeks it was like waking up from a deep sleep. I had my life back! Been 8 months now and I feel fantastic! Thank God for Lexapro!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by FinallyHopeful:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by shanshan27:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I got a panic attack while at the movie, I wasn't watching anything scary, it was an action movie. Anyway, I went to my boyfriends house after and had another panic attack the same night and couldn't calm down. Went to work the next day and was still on edge. I decided to go to the doctors and she gave me Lexapro. While she gave me another medicine to take with it. I decided to only take the Lexpro/Escitopram. For the following 4 weeks only on Lexapro, I was very anxious and didn't go to work, then one morning during the 4th week, I felt better and normal. 2 year's later I saw a different doctor and she put me on a cheaper version of Lexapro, but during my first month on the other medicine I had another panic attack. I am now back on Lexapro.

March 28, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by AveryMarieeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: When I started to experience extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and depression last spring at 20 years old, I didn't know what I was feeling. I help hopeless and often questioned the purpose of life. I couldn't explain why I felt this way, but I know it wasn't me. It came out of NO WHERE. I vowed to myself that if I could get through this, I would help others in their journey to get through it as well. It will be a year since I started escitalopram and I can truly say it saved my life and has made me a much happier and appreciative person. You never know know much you take everyday happiness and serenity for granted until you mind is never at rest. If you are struggling, please give this medication a chance and don't be afraid to get help.

March 26, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by iohfdhjifdfg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication is my miracle. The only reason I rated 9 instead of 10 was due to initial 3 day side effects. It was bad but if you can power through its worth it. Side effects were increased restlessness, sweating, mild nausea, feeling faint when standing up, tight headache, and no appetite. After 3 days all of this was gone except sweaty palms and slightly decreased appetite and in only those couple of days I felt like a new person. My obsessive thoughts slowed drastically and became more rational and overall I was so much happier and more positive. It was almost like a light switch because it was so bad I was considering going to the hospital for help and I'm only on 10mg. Also morning is best to take it.

March 21, 2014 9:02 PM

Review by MStetzer:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by AngryGerbil:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by good as gold:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 10:06 PM