User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 130 medications

7.4
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1002 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lexapro was very effective in reducing obcessive thoughts, but my manias and depression are still there, almost no improvement."

Vignoli (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have taken Lexapro 5-10mg for at least 15 years. It was effective for me within a few days of beginning. My anxiety causes me to be bad tempered and sometimes explosive. (the straw that broke the camel's back). I am calm, more focused, and am able to follow through with tasks better. I don't know that I have experienced side effects other than trouble falling asleep. I am 79 years old and it could be an "old person thing"."

Nalee (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "This medicine has been a life saver. I was scared to take it because of all of the side effects that i read about but the only side effects i experienced were headache, slight appetite loss, and tiredness (I switched to taking this medicine at night and that took care of the tiredness). For me the side effects only lasted about a week or two which wasn't bad at all, and I started feeling a change in my anxiety and mood within a few days. This medicine has allowed me to be happy, and I haven't been able to feel happy for this many continuous days in years. The thing that this medicine has helped the most for me is my social anxiety, now I can actually go out in public and be myself and I don't have to worry what others think of me."

Lynn192 July 6, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking this medicine for 8 days. I feel ok. No significant side effects so far. I havent cried once since Ive been on it, and honestly i dont know if i even can anymore. So far so good. I would say its too early to tell if this is the "one". Im on 5 mg only. I take this for a anxiety disorder and slight depression. Dont be afraid to try this one. I was really scared and worried that Ive made a bad decision. If i didnt take this Id be crying everyday...so this has helped. Fingers crossed on continuing no side effects!"

Lovequeen (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "significant lessening of GAD symptoms - am incredibly grateful"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now (10/mg). I have not had any differences with my depression or anxiety. In fact my anxiety is still bad. It also makes me crave food that I'm not a huge fan of. Very confusing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2015

For Depression: "I have been taking Lexapro for 5 weeks now. In the first two weeks I thought it was having a positive affect on my moods, anxiety and depression. However, in the last 3 weeks, I seem to have reverted back and may have even regressed further back before I even started taking the drug. I have had more suicidal thoughts, desire to be left alone, high anxieties, extreme mood swings, and no motivation. I feel alone, with no hope. I have less interest in things I enjoy now than i did before taking Lexapro. My doctor told me that it would take 4-6 weeks for the medication to realize it's full effect/potential. Entering my 6th week, it's time for me and my doctor to consider alternatives."

Lexpro Not So Much (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on 10mg a day for only a few days yet I already feel worlds better. I am feeling a lot of side effects such as the occasional headache, a sore throat, some dizziness, and some nausea, but it's all worth it for how much better I feel."

Amanda N June 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "After 2 weeks of crazy bed gripping anxiety, shakes ,fear ,throwing up in the bathroom and WTF is this stuff - calmness is kicking in big time. Glad that I stuck to it, but boy was close to throwing it in bin. Stick with it feeling in total control at the moment. Will report back in a couple of weeks."

Rj006 June 27, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hey guys my name is Daniel and I'm 22 years old. I just want to start of by telling u a little of my 4 years of hell I been through. First of I was 18 when I started having panic attacks for NO reason. One night I just woke up with it and didn't even know what was happening to me, I thought of course I was dying or having a heart attack. Sure enough I was healthy and had all the test ran and of course was dignozed with General Anxiety. Then the fun started, (btw I find it very helpful to talk about these horrible illness in a joking way to teach myself they aren't going to kill me only make life a little more difficult) I had horrible Anxiety attacks and life as I knew it was just impossible."

Hayez93 June 27, 2015

For Depression: "Prior to starting Escitalopram I had been experiencing severe depression with suicidal ideation and went into the hospital to get help. While I was there they put me on Escitalopram 10 mg 1x/day. When I first started it I felt pretty doped up but I noticed I was starting to feel better not crying all the time and the thoughts to harm myself where starting to go away and now after 2 months of being on Lexapro I feel like a new person. I feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I have energy to do things I enjoy and no fear to try new things. I have a confidence I haven't felt before and an extremely positive outlook on life, I'm almost too happy. My only regrets is that I didn't go on it sooner."

Flutterby13 June 24, 2015

For Depression: "I just want say this medication has been a complete life saver for me I went from having bad anxiety and just generally crappy attitude of always being upset and grumpy and ocd on other peoples character defects until i started taking this medication which at first was hard the first 2 -3 days were rough and than I decided to cut the 10mg pill in half and thats when I noticed my change I was just genuinely happy about just being alive and happy about starting my day things I would usually get upset and obsess about just roled off me like no big deal and I found now that I am able to carry on and have a regular great day so thank you so much to my doc and Lexapro for being a solution for now and maybe for my lifetime if need be"

mindrust June 24, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am over 70 after a lifetime of coping with PTSD following severe childhood trauma. I was past 40 before finally having a diagnosis, None of the medicines I tried in therapy were truly effective so I was resigned to a limited life attempting to control symptoms of anxiety and of course, depression. After three months of taking this medication, I am still astounded by the sense of quiet at the center of me. When I need to go out (to the store, or to walk my dog) I just go, with no strategizing over how to avoid people. I want to post this for other people with chronic PTSD. Try this. It may work for you too. Life is peaceful and much easier now."

Older Citizen June 23, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Please, please don't take this. My PCP prescribed this after the death of my Father - duh that's when you are supposed to be depressed and anxious! In addition, she mismanaged my thyroid condition which allowed me to become hypo - which also, for me causes, depression and anxiety. I took one 10 mg generic lexapro pill and immediately felt heaviness in my head, stomach upset, and nausea. In addition to that I had no muscle strength in my legs. The next day I realized that I didn't need these meds and stopped. 3 days in and I'm finally not as dizzy but did start throwing up on the third day - which is about 2.5 mg of meds in my system and haven't slept since stopping. Can't wait until next Saturday when this poison is completely out of me."

RSPRSP0710 (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "With a rough family life, it's hard to know if this drug is working to its full potential. I've been taking lexepro for almost three months now, and I can hardly tell a difference. I don't really think of suicide anymore, but happy? Is anyone truly happy? Maybe it's just my situation at the moment that brings out my pessimistic side, but I don't feel much different at all."

SteveFrench June 19, 2015

For Depression: "I suffered from chronic panic attacks everyday didn't even want to go to the shops and was on Xanax and it helped but very short term!! The doctor got me onto this and iv never been happier so full of life and back to my happy self!! 20mg a day."

Fantastic drug to use June 18, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After a shocking experience, I had sudden onset of anxiety, shakiness, nausea, insomnia, constant fear and over-reaction to sound. Also, depression. Diagnosed with post-traumatic stress. My Dr recommended escitalopram 10 mg/day. Noticed great improvement in 2-8 weeks without side effects. Anxiety is under control, not completely gone, but life is liveable. Also use behavior modifying techniques from my psychologist. I would be in a sorry state without escitalopram, a wonderful drug!"

Mature woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been suffering from anxiety for several years. My mind was racing, I would have anxiety attacks, shake from nerves....I felt like a prisoner in my own body. I often felt like I had no control and worried about everything going on in my life. My doctor prescribed 10mg of lexapro and it has literally changed my life. I can now get through the day without the overwhelming worry and anxiety I was living with every single day. Initially the side effects were tough, fatigue, sleeplessness, and headache.....they faded quickly. Recommend taking it before bed. I am thrilled with lexapro and can not say enough about what a change this medication has made on my life."

So much better June 16, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started on Lexapro about a week ago, and I'll give an update later but so far... WOW! Let me begin by adding that I'm pregnant in my 3rd trimester and I've had PTSD, severe anxiety, and depression for several years now. I heard a lot of warnings about the first few weeks, the side effects that may occur, and might I just say I'm lucky enough to have only one of them. That side effect being dry mouth which only lasts about an hour or 2 after taking it. I take 50mg of Lexapro every night before bed and I feel so much better already. The tension I had previously felt In my chest is gone and I feel like I imagine a normal personal is supposed to feel. I used to be scared to go check my mail, but now I have no problems in public."

KiahL June 15, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on anti-depressants three different times in my life. I was prescribed effexor first, five years later cymbalta and recently Cipralex. Of the three, this has by far worked the best for me. One theme I kept reading during the early weeks when I first started taking the meds is that if can be a bit of a rough ride tapering up. That was the case for me. At first I felt totally out of it and also experienced difficulty getting to sleep. It has now been five weeks and I am taking 10mg. The problems getting to sleep have slowly gone and I feel better each day. My mind is clearer than it's been in months and I don't have the crazy irrational worry and OCD that were some of the reasons I was prescribed this in the first place."

pglynn2012 June 14, 2015