User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 2 reviews 123 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 698 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Lori_48: User Rating:

escitalopram for Anxiety: I'm 48. First time I had an anxiety in the grocery store, and a few other times, it scared me, did not want to feel that feeling again. I checked with my Doctor and he prescribe me this medication. I was very nervous to take such a thing, because I've never been on this or any other medicines. So he started me on a small dose. I've been on for 4 weeks now. The first 2 days I had some side affects with a headache and not sleeping. On the 3rd day the side affects went away. The 5th day I started to feel good to go outside, walk the dog, just to get out of the house and get back to normal things that I used to do. I'm very happy that I started this medicine. I'm hoping that I won't have to take it for long. The medicine is awesome! Wish you well!

February 12, 2014 7:15 PM
Review by vinpb90 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Sexually frustrated me and I was a little bit aggressive coming onto it. EVERYONE has a specific anti-depressant that will work for them. It's all trial and error. However, even though it didn't work for me, I'm a fan of the medication. Prozac, however, did the job.

February 9, 2014 1:41 PM
Review by TC2332: User Rating:

escitalopram for Depression: I'm only on day 4 and already feeling a difference. I'm a 33 year old male and have been depressed for about 5 years and also suffer from anxiety in the form of being a chronic worry wort. I would find things to worry about. It's almost ended my marriage. I was brought up in a world where therapy and medication was taboo. At the urging of my wife, I saw my physician this week and she put me on 20 mg and therapy. I'm only 4 days in, but already noticed a calming effect. The only side effects I've noticed thus far is drowsiness, but it seems if I take a quick 5-10 min nap after feeling drowsy, I'm good. My physician says it will go away after a few weeks. Haven't had sex yet so I can't comment on sexual side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 8:30 PM
Review by lkgrkjtewllkflvrhmhthtrkjfdmdlf (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

escitalopram for Anxiety: I started taking Cipralex 3 weeks ago for depression, severe anxiety/social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder-like behavior and an eating disorder. I know it's only been 3 weeks but I cannot even BEGIN to describe how thankful I am that I finally got the help I needed. I feel FANTASTIC. The obsessive, anxious thoughts have gone away, and the giant hamster wheel spinning in my head at 1 million miles per hour has finally stopped. I can think, I can breathe, I can function. Thank you Cipralex.

February 5, 2014 6:45 AM
Review by MM2x: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2014 7:47 PM
Review by Lexapro 1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Best antidepressant I've ever tried. Horrible sexual side effects, especially since I'm a newlywed. But at least I'm happy.

January 31, 2014 1:12 PM
Review by Cindy loo who: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Once I got over the nausea, I loved how it helped me feel more human.

January 30, 2014 6:34 PM
Review by Marguerite1002: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Searched for balance for years. Tried a lot of different meds. Lexapro made my life normal. Take 20mg and .5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime. I am in sales and people never would think I deal with anxiety and depression.

January 29, 2014 11:57 PM
Review by snwbrd: User Rating:

escitalopram for Anxiety: I feel compelled to share my experience because I know there are others out there like me. I have suffered with panic disorder with agoraphobia for the past 10 years. It has slowly taken my life from me. On top of it all I have a huge pill phobia. I tried Prozac, made it 2 days and tried Zoloft, made it one day. Therapy alone didn't help. I decided I had to do something. I tried Lexapro. Yes, there are side effects in the beginning. Yes, the anxiety gets worse (take Xanax). Yes you feel nauseous (try Cola and crackers). Yes there's trouble sleeping (watched movies). Yes, theres a headache (took Tylenol). After six days the side effects began to lift. I know its a long road to go but I'm feeling better. If I can do it anyone can.

January 27, 2014 9:41 AM
Review by Terry1209 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered with anxiety and agoraphobia since I was 6. Since the age of 19, I never went more than 45 mins from home. I started on Lexapro and an anti-anxiety medicine in 2009. I have made it to a beach that I hadn't seen since I was 14, I am now 60, and have been 7 times since 2009. The drive is 1 hr 30 mins from home. I go every summer, more than once, and sometimes stay a few days, one time staying 6 days! This medicine is a God send, I wish they had it 20 years ago.

January 26, 2014 4:50 AM
Review by Poshbird1971 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I used to be on 200mg of sertraline but after 12 years on this medicine I started having severe problems with anxiety after a good friend's death, this eventually led to a near breakdown 3 years later when my anxiety became so bad I could barely function. My Dr suggested I switch to escitalopram. I was terrified of making this switch & put it off for weeks but eventually decided to 'take the plunge'. 4 days later and my anxiety levels are already reducing HUGELY! I wish I'd taken this sooner & can't believe how easy the switch was. I literally stopped taking my 200mg of sertraline one day and started taking 20mg of escitalopram the next. This stuff's a life saver!

January 25, 2014 11:59 PM
Review by RandomGuy1381 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

escitalopram for Anxiety: Upon first starting escitalopram I experienced some mild side effects of insomnia, jaw grinding, and a small increase in anxiety. After a week the symptoms pretty much subsided. I took it for 6 more weeks at 20mg and felt no difference in my mood or anxiety. Only the insomnia remained. So I stopped the medicine. Nothing positive, nothing hugely negative.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2014 5:12 PM
Review by Jhjhjhjhjh: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I'm 30 years, have been suffering from depression on and off for years. This year, I came down with a hard case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, which rendered me a useless ball of fear every day from the afternoon onward and eventually led to other problems (digestion, neurological, and otherwise). My doctor prescribed 10mg escilatopram. Goodness, I wasn't expecting much, but I feel absolutely fantastic now. I'm happy and can focus on daily activities, even in the dark winter evenings. Also, I've been on it for almost 2 months now, and I haven't noticed any side effects! No digestive or sexual problems which seem to be not-so-rarely reported.

January 3, 2014 12:44 PM
Review by toxisaweskm (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

escitalopram for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: For years I have been struggling with constant Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with periods of deep depression. I finally stopped trying to "put up with it" and blaming myself, and went on Cipralex. I started at 5mg and I am at 20 now. The first few days, I had a weird mixture of dry mouth and hypersalivation, felt fuzzy, lethargic, and SO hungry for salty/greasy food. The unpleasant effects have subsided although I do sometimes feel extra sleepy still. My Generalized Anxiety Disorder has been reduced drastically, I no longer ruminate and obsess to the point of feeling paralyzed, when worries come up I can let them go with greater ease and do what I need to do. HOWEVER my OCD (skin picking) has not improved at all, which is strange!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 1:37 PM
Review by nichole5543 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started taking Lexapro 10 mg 4 days ago. I already feel less anxious and panicky. I haven't been experiencing heart flutters and palpitations like I usually would from stress and anxiety. I feel more energized, outgoing, happy & less stressed. It helps me sleep better at night. The only side effect that I have noticed thus far is that the medicine makes me yawn a lot, which I have heard tapers off after a few weeks of being on the medicine. Other than that I have not noticed any other issues. I think Lexapro is great!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 28, 2013 1:04 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

escitalopram for Anxiety: I was sceptical about taking meds such as this. However, I had been dealing with so much stress that it had taken a toll on me and life seemed to be falling apart, even though I was always everyone turned to. My doctor prescribed 10mg once daily and it has been a miracle. I did cut back to only 5mg a day and take it at night, as it does make me sleepy. I am so much happier, more energy and a different outlook. I am 39yrs old and feel like it again. Only been on the med 3wks and I have nothing negative to say.

December 22, 2013 9:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I had Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with intrusive thoughts. This came out of nowhere and I ended up having to take time off work. One week of sitting on the sofa crying my eyes out and having repeated panic attacks and thinking I was going crazy I then saw my doc. She referred me to a psychologist and put me on Lexapro 5mg for 4 days and then up to 10mg. She also gave me Valium to use sparingly initially till my anxiety dropped. No change week 1 except day 1 where I felt a feeling of euphoria. Week 2 had increase in anxiety even a panic attack. End of week 3 and I'm back to my old self. No more anxiety or intrusive thoughts. I am doing all the things I use to do. I feel normal again. Lexapro and seeing a psychologist has done wonders. Super happy.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 22, 2013 6:44 PM
Review by druhin kar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

escitalopram for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I think escitalopram 10mg is great for irritable bowel syndrome. It reduces the symptoms when I take the medicine. I am taking this for 4-5 weeks. I was suffering with irritable bowel syndrome last 4 years ago. All treatments failed. Lastly this medication give relief me. My side effects were 1. acidity 2.nervousness 3.urge for latrine when I felt stressed 4.poor appetite, muscle twitching etc. I am quite relaxed now.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 20, 2013 9:42 AM
Review by Wildalaska: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I love Lexapro! It helps me stop drinking, lose weight and I have way less anxiety now. For all those people that have sexual dysfunction, try taking it at night right before bed, after sex. I have no problems in that area now!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 19, 2013 8:31 PM
Review by ahellwig (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: It works to control generalized anxiety disorder. However, don't stop taking it until your doctor tells you to after at least a year. My psych took me off after 6 months and the symptoms returned.

December 18, 2013 2:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

escitalopram for Depression: Very effective for depression and obsessive thoughts. There is a side effect of drowsiness for the first few weeks, which gets better. I also take clonazepam for anxiety. This seems to be a much better treatment than the Cymbalta/Buspar combination I took a few years ago.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 18, 2013 12:46 PM
Review by ermology: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Good but gave me runs and gas.

December 14, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by helped02 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Just started my 3rd month on this medication and I have never been so happy in my life. I struggled with major anxiety and periods of depression that had affected my school work and social life, I would never want to go out with my friends. I also felt as if everyone was talking about my issue and was trying to avoid me as to not get involved. I would like to call this prescription a miracle because it has helped me in ways that I cannot explain. I was feeling so helpless and felt like I had no control over my life. After the second week or taking the medicines I started to feel like the normal me. I did experience some slightly unpleasant side effects such as dry mouth and insomnia in the first 3 or 4 days, but they got better.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2013 12:48 AM
Review by ashz30 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I suffer from hypochondria and panic disorder. I was so afraid to take medication. After 2 years I finally took Cipralex. It has made my anxiety a lot more tolerable. I've had a few major panic attacks but overall good experience. I've been on 20mg for 2 years.

December 10, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by Lex25 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medicine has changed my life for the better. My anxiety became so bad that I couldn't sleep AT ALL. I became very obsessive with my worries and thought that everything was the end of the world. I was paralyzed with fear. When I started Lexapro I had A LOT of side effects that almost caused me to not continue...irritable, waking up in panic, night sweats, etc. After about 4 weeks I started to feel "normal" and calmer. I tried going off after two years which was a big mistake...back on and plan on staying on for a long time!

December 8, 2013 8:21 PM