User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 834 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by KH411:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!

November 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Kody G.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by J.M.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Louis 45:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by MiltonMiller:

For Anxiety: I'm a 43yo male and my doc prescribed 10mg Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It's been 6 weeks now and I've got to say the change has been brilliant. I no longer have those really bad anxiety moments, instead I can now brush them aside if they do rear their head. I'm bursting with energy, motivated, far more outgoing, and above all much happier than prior to taking Lexapro. I now sleep like a normal human and each day I get up ready to tackle a new day with positivity and confidence. I have also seen a counsellor several times which has helped me get to the root causes of my anxiety. I would highly recommend anyone prescribed Lexapro for anxiety to do the same. Side effects have been minimal and were mainly in the first week.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 1:55 AM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Never been happuer:

For Depression: I have been on Lexapro 10 mg with a 150 mg Wellbutrin for almost 11 years. I started taking these after my divorce. The Lexapro especially has been a lifesaver. Very few things bother me. The Wellbutrin keeps me from being extremely tired. It has been a miracle for me. I did gain a lot of weight but I'd rather be happy and fat then depressed and skinny.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow.

November 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by stargazer12:

For Depression: After a couple weeks I felt no change either positive or negative. After a month to 2 months I felt somewhat better. After 3-4 months I felt better than I had in a very long time. Life changing better. But now after 5-6 months my brain feels very foggy and I feel very emotionally numb. I can't feel any negative emotions at all which can actually be very frustrating and confusing. Don't want to change medication as it has helped so much with mood so I'm hoping the numbness will subside...And may be willing to tough it out since feeling numb is better than feeling depressed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by Emster:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was a very emotional teenager and couldn't handle small problems. After trauma around the age of 17 I was diagnosed major depressive disorder, anxiety, mood swings and a personality disorder. I started taking escitalopram 10 and of course the first weeks were still as bad as before or even worse but for me it felt like I was already in hell. After a month I felt great! Just as clear head, stable, no running thoughts or emotions and just happy and peaceful. After one and a half year I quit drop by drop in a time lapse of 3 months but I had to start again because all the symptoms came back. It is really hard to just start taking again or to admit you need it. All side effects are in my opinion way nicer than uncontrollable emotions.

November 9, 2014 6:06 AM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I always knew I was vulnerable to having the blues, but it wasn't until I lost my motivation, could no longer enjoy the simple things in life (music, TV shows, vacation!) and would randomly burst into tears, did I realize this was something more serious. The first two weeks were brutal (1/2 tablet in morning, 1/2 tablet in evening). I was extremely anxious, had debilitating fatigue and zero appetite. Third week the symptoms set aside and I was a bit better but still felt robotic. Then the past 2-3 days, I noticed I was singing, joking around, MUCH less irritable and wasn't haunted by negative thoughts of doom or self-loathing. My memory is even better. Give it a fair chance, I promise you won't regret it.

November 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!

November 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Lilyb123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medicine has changed my life: I go out again, I am smiling again. I was so worried about weight gain as I have battled eating disorders all my life and I have not gained any weight on 5mg, but my whole life has changed. I am "me" again. The only side effect I have is vivid dreams, and I had headaches for the first week. I am on the brand name CIPRALEX and it has worked wonders for me. Much of my problems are hormone related (PMDD and PCOS) But I exercise, watch what I eat, and mostly I smile. I was worried to start this medicine because of the weight-related reviews but I am doing well on it, and I am a better mom and wife. I am also remembering to love myself which I hadn't done in years.

November 5, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by Smartguy123 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I've been on escitalopram for almost two years. I started at 10mg and it didn't work to well. I recently went up to 20mg because I felt anxious about every little thing like before I started. Now, I feel awesome! I'm happy at my job. I'm more social at school. I always look on the bright side. It's really cool. And, it's not like an unnatural "high" or feeling. It's just like being myself but in a general good mood most of the time. Side effect is sexual, but I don't believe in pre-marital sex anyway. It goes away after I stop taking it. But, I find myself not thinking about sexual things so much. It's a definite plus! Keeps me on the right path.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 5:48 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Susyq25:

For Depression: On 5mg Escitalopram, I initially experienced an almost euphoric-like state with 0% anxiety. I was motivated, talking/laughing more, getting things done. The anxiety began to creep back after 2 weeks though and the extreme happiness leveled off. I increased the dosage (to the prescribed 10mg) which I've stayed on for several weeks and now I have mild depression with lingering anxiety. Suicidal thoughts are completely gone. After consulting with my doctor I may increase the dosage. Side effects: irregular bowel movements (resolved), excessive gas, sleepiness, tense/tight muscles and less intense orgasms. Out of the all the antidepressants I've been on, this is the better option and I'm grateful for this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate