User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 130 medications

7.5
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 974 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This is by far the best med that I have taken for my anxiety!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Extremely helpful at 30 mg. Lifted me up from the ground like magic. No noticeably side effects. Hasn't improved my GAD, though."

Vignoli June 8, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I'm introverted and suffered some depression and anxiety due to a recent IRS audit and personal problems at home , I landed in the hospital for 4 days after test on my heart etc everything cleared but stress and anxiety , I'm 40 and in good shape , Dr put me on Lexapro , first two weeks were brutal , emotional rollercoster and insomia, I asked my Dr if he was sure these were not estrogen pills. After two weeks I started to feel awesome , better then before I'm on my eighth week and lost weight , motivated to go to gym , tolerate my wife's extroverted friends , I feel better then I did my entire life , even before my depression issues , crowds and loud people go over my head nothing irritates me anymore , sexual sides I last longer win win"

Steve_09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My first post was 5/15/2015. Here's more. I'm doing OK, but want to share the trouble I had when increased to 20mg. I had really good days on 10 and 15 with manageable side effects. 20 threw me for a loop after a couple days - felt worse in every way - heightened anxiety and dark depression. But - it started to get better - a bad day - a good day - two bad days - two good days. This medication takes patience and a pdoc that will explain (mine didn't) all you can be in for. I feel I'm going to "win", but almost feel I deserve a prize for tolerating so many side effects. I had to resort to Xanax on the really bad days. Funny those who really need Xanax hate it? Still going to stick with Lexapro - I see the light at the end of the tunnel."

MasterGardener (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have suffered through depression most of my life (I am 16 now) and I have gone through many anti depressants but most left me feeling even more depressed (due to weight gain which is one of my triggers with depression). Lexapro is the only anti depressant I have been on that has not caused excessive crying, weight gain/loss, suicidial thoughts, etc. the only thing I noticed is I sleep a little more than normal but hey, sleep isn't bad for me."

Happily medicated (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I started on 10 mg of Lexapro in October 2014. I stayed on that dose for 2 months and felt horrible the whole time. Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, severe gas, and more anxiety. I lowered to 5mg and finally started to feel like myself. Long story short, I raised back up to 10 mg in April 2015 and haven't felt this good in years. Most all side effects gone. I have it a 10 because I couldn't hardly leave my house before. I'm finally living again. It is a process, but don't quit and don't give up. Its worth the results to stick with it."

Bradrds May 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have used lexapro long term, over two years. It is incredibly effective for my anxiety and I only get side effects if I forget to take it. 20mg once daily"

Works! (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I noticed pretty good results within two weeks- my general anxiety lowered significantly, but I still get frequent panic attacks."

Æ May 30, 2015

For Anxiety: "Wow, I'm still in shock as to how much this medication has changed my life in the past two weeks. I started on 5 mg for 6 days and then switched to 10 mg and I've felt happier than I have ever before in my life. I wasn't aware of the extent of how bad my social anxiety and depression were until they were gone. I have a new sense of self-worth and drive for my life that I have never felt before. I am so thankful that I have found something that has made my anxiety completely gone. The only side effect I've experienced is a little loss of appetite (used to be an emotional eater) and also have trouble staying asleep throughout the night (I think this is due to the interruption of REM sleep on an SSRI, but I could be wrong)."

Anonymous May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Stress from Major life changes left me with nasty panic attacks that lead to an anxiety disorder for over a year. You name the symptom it I had it.Until you lived with an anxiety disorder you have NO idea how crippling these symptoms could be. My doctor immediately put me on Lexapro when I told her how I was feeling. I took it for 3 days and felt out of my mind. I was paralyzed with fear... I went off it and tried celexa and prozac. After these 2 drugs didn't work I gave lexapro another try. YES the side effects are horrible but they GO AWAY. I feel so much better and I'm getting control back slowly but SURELY!!"

lyn516 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro saved my life and saved my mind. I have pure OCD and anxiety. I tried other anxiety medications before and was ready to give up. My primary doctor recommended I try Lexapro. I started off at 10mg and started to feel better after a month or two but was still having compulsions from my OCD (although much fewer) so I asked my Doctor to up my medication. She put me on 20mg and I have been on 20mg for more than six months now. My life has changed. I have never felt so alive and so real. I have never felt so sane. I can function for the first time in ten years at the degree someone "normal" functions act."

Claw21 May 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Lexapro is great. I started when my panic attacks and depression made me unable to function at all and I was too afraid to leave my house. My thoughts would race and I was just a mess. I started on 5mg for a week which was like nothing but then upped to 10mg and after 3 weeks I was beginning to feel less anxious and more stable. After 6 weeks I'd say I felt normal. I'm going to try come off them after being on them for a year and a half. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year so for panic disorder they work fantastically well. I've experienced no side effects with this drug."

jjfh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Lexapro or Cipralex, as sold on the Romanian market did a great job on me. Depression, lack of focus and anxiety had me down and couldn't find my way out and live the life again. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg daily, started with 5 the first week and a small dose of xanax. I noticed the effects within days. A more positive outlook, could do and organize my life, more focus and better sleep, more energy. I didn't had any side effects, or maybe just positive ones:stopped overeating (anxiety eating) and drinking ( I was starting to feel like an alcoholic because I used alcohol to stop my restless mind). It made a big difference."

Black Sea May 27, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This is the first time I have ever posted a review of anything online, but I feel an obligation to share my experience to other suffering with anxiety. I suffer from GAD which included panic attacks, muscle aches, and a horrible temper. I avoided this medication fearing weight gain (as I already gained 10 lbs over the year) and sexual dysfunction. When I explained this to my doctor, he replied "Have you ever considered whether being anxious has caused you to eat more, drink more, and maybe have sex less often?". I have been on Lexapro for 6 months now, and my only regret is not starting this treatment sooner. I have lost 15 lbs as I don't eat and drink as much anymore, and my love life has improved. Anxiety sucks. You don't have to suffer!"

Bronco79 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I've been on Lexapro for two weeks now and I can definitely say that my life has been so much better. I'm on 10 mg and I take one every day. I haven't had any negative side effects expect on my first day taking it I felt dizzy and a little spaced out but they subsided by day 3. Lexapro saved my life! I use to cry everyday and think so much but now all of that has stopped. I'm feeling better, sleeping better; life is just better. Give it a try if you have depression/anxiety."

DMH94MK92 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Everything in my life caused gut-wrenching sadness and I felt disconnected from the world at 18, as I suffered from depression and social anxiety. I was prescribed this medication after my depression gradually got worse. Initially (for the first 2 weeks) my symptoms worsened drastically. Then, one day it was like someone flipped a switch, and I felt good again, like I hadn't in years. I felt like I could be myself. My grades went up, I got into a great private university, and I dated like crazy. I also was less hostile and I could solve problems and assert myself more. I cannot emphasize how grateful I am for this medication, it changed my life. Just give it time to work I am a male btw, and I was on a pretty moderated dose."

Neuroguy May 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Severe anxiety to the extent I could not sleep at night, coupled with depression probably brought on by the lack of sleep. I have been taking lexapro for 2 weeks now and it has already working. I now sleep a solid 7 hrs, and I feel improvement with my anxiety and depression every day. I cannot recommend lexapro enough - fantastic. Side effects lasted for approx 9 days, these included very dry throat, headaches , vivid dreams and extreme hunger. Side effects have almost all subsided and I'm feeling great"

happychappy (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started taking lexapro, well the generic brand escitalopram. This is the first dose I have taken tonight with my lamictal and ambien and Neurontin. I have been feeling extreme anxiety, nervousness, depression, basically I am completely overwhelmed because of stuff going on in my life right now. I've been having a lot of nauseous, dizzy, racing thoughts, shaking, and headaches. I can't feel a difference yet, but it is my first dose. I have not had an appetite for days now and was hoping this would at least help with the nausea and kind of sick feeling cause I'm feeling quite weak. It's even hard for me to get up stairs, I can get up them, but feel like I have been working out. I hope it will be better soon :-)"

coop.acckrazlol (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have suffered from mild depression/moderate to severe anxiety for several years now. I married for the second time January 2014 (blended family) which started to exacerbate all my issues! Runaway thoughts of scenarios that "might" happen and how I would react. Very emotionally unstable. Tendency to over-react immediately to minor situations (plus the run away thoughts start....) and would physically have to calm myself down. Easily irritated. Finally went to my Dr. and she put me on 10 mg Lexapro last week. The effects were evident withing 24 hours. No immediate over reaction, run away negative thoughts almost completely gone....wow. How could a little pill make such a huge difference?!?"

Mikaela - 40 yr old (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Have MDNOS/possibly Bipolar. Went on Lamictal about 5 years ago which saved my life (awful, terrible mood swings). Was still fairly down so added Celexa after 1 year. This helped but after 2 years it lost efficacy. Switched to Lexapro 18 months ago to combat that and it worked for a while. But the side effects have gotten worse. After 6 months taking it my libido started decreasing and now it is literally gone. I get "high" when I take it then crash and feel like a zombie until I take it again. I have no motivation at work, can't stay focused, restless, can't just sit and be content, no emotion. Unless I'm depressed or pissed. It's not worth it. My new doctor is weaning me off it, thank god, here's hoping I come out okay on the other side."

Jenny476 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This medication was a game changer for me. After trying Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa with no effect I thought I was destined to have panic attacks for the rest of my life. Celexa even worsened my anxiety, causing my to go to the emergency room twice. At the time i started Lexapro, i was having debilitating symptoms, atleast 1 to 2 panic attacks a day with racing heart, racing thoughts, generally feeling like I was losing my goddamn mind. After a month of the Lexapro my anxiety began to calm, I have now been on it for 3 years and am relatively symptom free. I still experience heightened anxiety and the occationally panic attack but it is so much more managable and I am able to apply coping skills successfully."

Miss Bay May 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had to wean off Effexor because it lost effectiveness after 15+ years and started Lexapro. I did not have a good time switching because of the Lex side effects and was skeptical this drug would keep my GAD in check as Effexor had for many years. I read this blog during the first few weeks, going from 10 to 15, and now 20 mg. It's been rough - BUT - the side effects of heightened anxiety and feeling loopy are diminishing each day and I feel pretty darn good! I'm glad I stuck with it - it works. For anyone who's suffered with GAD and then had relief for years (with Effexor), revisiting bad anxiety during the first 3-4 weeks on Lexapro is scary - no one ever wants to go back to that dark place again. Get past the side effects - it's worth it."

MasterGardener May 15, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had anxiety symptoms such as dreading work daily, and physical symptoms such as lack of energy and almost a dizziness feeling that would start a few hours into my day and continue until I was home relaxing. This medicine has improved mostly all of my symptoms, except for the occasion day that is very stressful. I would recommend to anyone, and cannot imagine going off any time soon. Hope this helps someone else."

Anonymous May 14, 2015

For Depression: "Started out with 10 mg, stuck with it for probably 3-4 months, the entire time feeling sluggish, tired and lethargic. I would kind of sit like a zombie at my desk all day long. Did help my anxiety, because I basically couldn't feel much of any emotion at all. Reduced to 5 mg, still does take the edge of my anxiety, which tends to come in waves, especially during the night. However, I still feel somewhat sluggish and like my brain isn't as sharp. I've been on this dosage now for about 9 months, although on my doctor's advice I did try cutting it down to 2.5 or taking 5 mg every other day, but my anxiety got worse right away."

sugardaisy May 12, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Helped with depression at increased dosages but once at maximum dosage I had to change meds"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015