User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 763 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Jvjh:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Fuf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: So after my grandma passed away I started having those panic attacks. In class around people and I didn't want to go out. I was a fun outgoing person and suddenly I was someone else. I didn't like myself. I lost weight I hate looking in the mirror I didn't wanna fix myself or dress well. And so I had to see a psychiatrist and he told me to take Cipralex 10mg for 6months so I traveled to the States to see the family my life has changed a lot but I still fear being in crowded places or going out clubbing and sometimes I get those anxiety attacks. How can I get rid of them completely??

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 4:47 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 10 years or more):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Never a problem.

September 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Cherb44:

For Anxiety: The first few weeks adjusting to this medicin3 I wasn't sure if it was for me.....but I stuck with it and glad I did. My anxiety went from on average a rating on a scale from one to ten at an average of 8 down to a 3. Situations that normally would be borderline panic attack are now tolerable and even comfortable. I feel more confident and less anxious. I'm grateful for this medication.

September 14, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Sam2.0:

For Depression: I found this medication clouds my negative thoughts, the bad thoughts are there but very foggy, definitely helped me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2014 5:37 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I am taking Lexapro for depression and bulimia. The first week of taking Lexapro my doctor had me on 10mg. Didn't have any negative or positive side effects. I was then bumped up to 20mg. After taking one of the 20mg, the next day my vision was very blurry. It was also getting difficult for me to urinate. (Didn't hurt, but felt like I needed to go ALL the time) I talked to my doctor and she didn't think Lexapro had anything to do with my vision so went back down to 10mg for a week. No negative side effects so went back to 20mg (hoping my body got use to it). No blurry vision this time, but it was still difficult to urinate. The doctor had me get off of it and not even 3 days later I was back to "normal" when it came to using the restroom. Depression was better though. Bulimia..no effect.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by pixies18:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by Nanajan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: Have been on Lexapro 3 months. Still suffering anxiety symptoms, especially in the morning.

September 2, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Bobble4238:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After several stressful life events I developed an anxiety disorder which quickly evolved into depression. Originally I started on Citalopram which wasn't great, only reduced anxiety by 10% at most, pumped Citalopram up to 30mg/ day, no great improvement. Saw a psychiatrist (who worked with me to start the medication merry-go-round) and started Escitalopram (Lexapro). Lexapro had much the same effect as the Celexa but the mood improved a little. We raised Lexapro from 20-30mg/ day and the anxiety MELTED away, the effect was very pronounced, not totally stress free but no panic attacks and no ever constant anxiety. Tiredness was an issue so we've added 5mg/day Edronax (NRI) which has been excellent. Find what works for you - be strong.

September 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by NetMan01:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by Hectoor (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have used escitalopram 20mg for 2 years. For the first period, 1 year, It was very effective. It helped me getting out of depression. Decision making became perfect, sexual life wasn't affected. There was no physical side effect on usage with alcohol but physiologically It changes me a little emotional and depressive when I drunk. However, after 1 year, this medicine turned me a feelingless person like a robot. I cannot cry, I cannot feel anything for a person right now. I am not sad but I am not happy too.

August 29, 2014 7:49 AM

Review by LMLaw70:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by Coco.30:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by feeling sad:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been taking Lexapro for years with fairly good results and low side effects, usually between 10 to 15mg, I am a 44 y/o woman, mother and wife of middle school children, my anxiety/depression has gotten worse and I was recently diagnosed with OCD. I tried to increase to 20mg but after 4 weeks felt lousy tired a lot, poor sleep, gaining some weight, not much. I'm going back to 15mg, does anyone really think there is a difference between the 2 doses. I just want to feel happy again.

August 17, 2014 6:45 PM

Review by Hummingbird1304 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on this medicine for approximately 4 mos. I had pretty severe and constant anxiety. The first 3 weeks on this medicine were hell. Severe panic attacks, loss of palette and teeth/jaw clenching. I'm glad I hung on there because the anxiety has almost completely subsided. Only sometimes can I feel the anxiety wanting to surface but it never fully does. This medicine has been a God send. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. I have gained a small amount of weight and feel a little more "scatterbrained" sometimes. However, that's better than constantly obsessing over every detail!

August 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by catsanddogs:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I started this medication at a very low dose and experienced nausea, lethargy and dizziness. My doctor told me this was a good sign that the medication was working. I then started to lose control over my thinking and could not focus. My doctor told me this was a symptom of depression and to up the dose of the medication. The nausea never went away and the doctor told me the nausea was anxiety and to up the dose of the medication. I was so sick and tired I was unable to be active or engaged. The doctor told me this was major depressive disorder. Finally, I told my doctor I would no longer take the medication and he gave me a plan for tapering. I experienced extreme dizziness, nausea and hysterical crying. I now feel so much better.

August 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Bullseys (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Finally I found a depression/anxiety medicine that has the least amount of side effects. Tried Elavil, Prozac, Desyrel, Paxil and citalopram (Celaxa) which is very similar to Lexapro but the Celaxa made me sweat when I was not hot, jaw tension, insomnia and hypertension. I think Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the best SSRI out there. I give it a 9 on the scale.

August 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by Brownie2820:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Sorry but this medicine made me very sick. I had thrown up from it, it made me had really bad panic attacks and made me very dizzy and light headed.

August 2, 2014 9:32 PM