User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 801 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by lilyab (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Suffered from mild anxiety and mild depression as well as moderate PMDD. This medicine at 5mg has literally transformed my life. I was worried about weight gain as I had an eating disorder before, but I haven't gained a pound or lost a pound. I am the person I used to be, I don't yell and scream from PMDD anymore. The first week I had headaches, and vivid dreams but that goes away, now the only side effect I have is very entertaining detailed dreams; its neat actually.

December 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by rabirabo:

For Depression: Whenever I took a single tablet I got awful heartburn.

December 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Never been happuer:

For Depression: I have been on Lexapro 10 mg with a 150 mg Wellbutrin for almost 11 years. I started taking these after my divorce. The Lexapro especially has been a lifesaver. Very few things bother me. The Wellbutrin keeps me from being extremely tired. It has been a miracle for me. I did gain a lot of weight but I'd rather be happy and fat then depressed and skinny.

November 15, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow.

November 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!

November 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Susyq25:

For Depression: On 5mg Escitalopram, I initially experienced an almost euphoric-like state with 0% anxiety. I was motivated, talking/laughing more, getting things done. The anxiety began to creep back after 2 weeks though and the extreme happiness leveled off. I increased the dosage (to the prescribed 10mg) which I've stayed on for several weeks and now I have mild depression with lingering anxiety. Suicidal thoughts are completely gone. After consulting with my doctor I may increase the dosage. Side effects: irregular bowel movements (resolved), excessive gas, sleepiness, tense/tight muscles and less intense orgasms. Out of the all the antidepressants I've been on, this is the better option and I'm grateful for this medication.

November 1, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by avm:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: Rating - 10 -11 Very good and very effective. Taking Lexapro since 2009. Few problems. Have a very serious depression/minor schizo-psychosis problem. Took generic and am taking Lexapro again. Had a few problems with generic. Don't have same calm reaction with generic. Lexapro puts me in a good mood most of the time. Feeling of equilibrium mentally. Am happier/relaxed/calmer. Does make me very sleepy/drowsy, & a few other minor side effects. Only antidepressant I have had few problems with. Able to be more relaxed. Can fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Have had a very good experience with it. Trying to get insurance to pay for it.

October 28, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by Anxious College Student:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough.

October 26, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Chocolate milk:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've had severe anxiety since I can remember. I've been through a lot in life and it started as a small child. Now that I've finally turned 27 and after years of having daily panic attacks, constant shaking, constantly thinking weeks ahead of time over an event, and heart pounding, and having everything set off my Anxiety I went to see a psychiatrist. He prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro and 5mg of Valium if needed. I've finally started to wake up feeling better and being a lot more calm. I've only been on it for 2 weeks today but I'm feeling so much better! It's weird to feel a little normal and it's taking a lot to get used to this feeling. I can't wait to see what happens week 4 to 6 since my anxiety is not fully gone yet.

October 25, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by ContessSpider:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by Bethkk (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: Was on Lexapro for over 5 years for depression. I could definitely notice a difference for the better. Was no longer suicidal and could work and function on a daily basis again. But still think I could have been happier than I was. The only side effect was loss of libido.

October 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Melsss:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by undefeated:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM