User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 127 medications

7.5
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 851 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by Beezy9913:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse.

February 11, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Tusentakk:

For Depression: I suffered from moderate depression. This medication balances me out pretty well overall. I don't have the horrible anxiety filled days that I previously had before taking this. I have been taking it for about a year now. The only side effects I had weren't too serious. I'd occasionally get an upset stomach but I figured out that's avoidable if I take it with food. Also I had (and still have) crazy vivid dreams nearly every night but that's harmless.

February 2, 2015 12:49 AM

Review by Toya89:

For Anxiety: I've started Escitalopram 10mg 2 weeks ago and felt great on day 3 & 4, after that It stopped working. I'm having a hard time dealing with that, because the feeling It gave me on day 3&4 was the best I've felt all my life. I upped the dose to 20mg now it's day 3 on 20mg and still nothing.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Meghan2015:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again.

January 29, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Billh1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was on Celexa 20mg for a full year due to anxiety and panic attacks. The medicine was working great. I had to switch doctors and my new one suggested to a try Lexapro. She said its a cleaner and better medicine then Celexa. I said ok I'll try it. It's been two week and no side effects at all. It's been great. I'm glad I switched. I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro now which is the same as 20mg Celexa.

January 28, 2015 1:09 PM

Review by Mozarella (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on escitalopram for about 2 weeks and stilling feeling the anxiety..BUT I know I have to give it time to work and not rush the good feeling it will give in time. I was thinking maybe I need 20mg instead of 1.5mg. May visit my doctor to confrim. I know it works and time will tell.

January 27, 2015 8:29 AM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Lexapro (escitalopram) has saved my life twice. 8 years ago it helped pull me out of horrible depression/anxiety from postpartum depression after my 3rd child was born. I actually ended up in the ER's psych ward. This time I fell back into a horrible place at the beginning of the holiday season. No real reason this time. Just horribly depressed and full of anxiety. I take 10 mg every day and I am in my 6th week.The differences is night and day. I can sleep, eat, and enjoy life again with out waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am very grateful, and would recommend this medicine to anyone who is as scared as I was.

January 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by Marathon01:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by KatyAnanda:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I relate to many people's experience here - this medicine is saving my life! Had the works, lifetime of depression, have battled through nervous breakdowns. Recently building up to full blown panic attacks. It's making me feel good in a way I've NEVER FELT! It's even reduced the pain on my nervous system from the chronic illness (autoimmune) that I've had since a teen. I wish I'd had this decades ago. (Had to get through a week of side effects, but they were bearable. Just a bit of dizziness, nausea and clenched muscles. Now my body's adjusted, my appetite is back, and I'm actually feeling stronger than I've felt in a LONG time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 11:12 PM

Review by hcg90:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by JessicaI:

For Depression: I've been on Cipralex (escitalopram) for about three years. I've had to increase the dosage a few times in order to get consistent results, but I am overall happy with this medication.

January 16, 2015 7:05 AM

Review by extrAorindary (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Before Lexapro I was extremely stressed out for at least a year before taking it. Everything my boyfriend would do would cause me to snap. I would snap on family members constantly as well. If they were chewing too loud, whistling, or looking at me, I would flip out and yell. No lie here...within 2 days I had noticed a day and night difference. My boyfriend absolutely adores me now. I love who I am and I can't imagine life the way it was before. This medicine was/is a miracle to me. The only side effect I had was yawning often the first two days, but that went away. I love living life now and enjoy myself. I can't express enough how much it has helped. My life has taken an absolute 180!

January 12, 2015 11:24 PM

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by Bowj:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.

January 12, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work.

January 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by HKJ:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by jesb:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by mde6151 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm a 39 y/o female who experienced increased anxiety and finally anxiety attacks at night due to a series of health issues I was dealing with. After other treatments and trying to get off Klonopin I decided to try an SSRI. I started with 2.5 mg of escitalopram with immediate results of reduced anxiety. The next day I bumped it up to 5mg and then began experiencing terrible back pain from neck to hips and sciatica. I tried to stay on for a week but gave up and I am trying Zoloft now. Lexapro was very effective for my anxiety and panic. I did have 2-3 nights of bad insomnia that first week of Lexapro but it started to improve. I would be on it if not for back pain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate