User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 784 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Bethkk (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: Was on Lexapro for over 5 years for depression. I could definitely notice a difference for the better. Was no longer suicidal and could work and function on a daily basis again. But still think I could have been happier than I was. The only side effect was loss of libido.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Melsss:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by undefeated:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted.

October 14, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Elviseat:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: My experience thus far on this mediicne is absolutely life changing. I have never taken any form of medication in my life bar antibiotics on a couple of occasions, however when anxiety hit me out of nowhere I thought I was losing my mind. I could not think or function. I didn't have the strength to stomach food and was afraid all the time. I could not work and thought that living was becoming impossible. As a result of this I became depressed and the vicious cycle continued. I thought I would never escape this feeling. It all became too much for me after about a month and I went to my doctor a blithering mess. He prescribed me 10mg Lexapro and I regained my life. 14 days later I am back to normal and happy smiling. Get your life back.

October 9, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by Mavrik33:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've had anxiety and panic attacks for many years. I've tried diet and exercise,meditiation, herbs, and when I finally realized how many things I was missing out on with my family and friends I knew I needed to try medicine. First I tried Buspar which offered no help and made me really dizzy. Next was Lexapro. The first couple of days on Lexapro i noticed nothing. By day 4 I was really tired and had a headache. Day 5-6 was the same and I was very anxious and couldn't sleep. By this point i am so tired I have to sleep late, sleep at lunch and go to bed early. On day 8-10 my ears rang and I almost gave up. On day 11 I FINALLY started to feel better. Waiting for 4 weeks to see full benefits, but the side effects DO go away.

October 8, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Tweetie Bird:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up.

October 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Ash2014:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Jvjh:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Momo111 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I started Lexapro less than 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was extremely nauseous and threw up several time just hours after taking it my first week, so I started taking it an hour before bed (also makes me very drowsy so it helps me fall asleep). I am no longer feeling sick whatsoever. I have lost more than 10 pounds and have gained TONS of self-confidence. I highly recommend trying Lexapro.

September 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by oxburger:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Have been on Sinequan/doxepin for depression for 26 years. Started a new position at work and started having anxiety issues. Doc added 10mg Lexapro to the mix in May but still having some anxiety. Starting on 20mg tonight. Hope it makes a difference. Any others notice a big change going from 10 to 20mg? It seems that when I have no anxiety (like when I take a Xanax) NOTHING gets in my way and I am damn good at my job. It's just when my head gets in the way that I get screwed up. Anyways, here's hoping!

September 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by Fuf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: So after my grandma passed away I started having those panic attacks. In class around people and I didn't want to go out. I was a fun outgoing person and suddenly I was someone else. I didn't like myself. I lost weight I hate looking in the mirror I didn't wanna fix myself or dress well. And so I had to see a psychiatrist and he told me to take Cipralex 10mg for 6months so I traveled to the States to see the family my life has changed a lot but I still fear being in crowded places or going out clubbing and sometimes I get those anxiety attacks. How can I get rid of them completely??

September 22, 2014 4:47 PM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM