User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 734 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: 2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by Emzie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: For my particular situation (which was EXTREMELY stressful), this medicine was just what I needed during the time that I took it. It took the edge off. This allowed me to overlook the pretty bad side effects which were most prevalent during the first 3 months of the year that I took it in: uncontrollable appetite, weight gain of 50 lbs over the year, lethargy, and irritating anorgasmia. However when my surroundings became less stressful, I began to realize that the Lexapro was causing me to feel one constant emotion: numb. In my experience this is pretty constant with SSRIs, but it was very prevalent on Lexapro. However I've noticed that my body has particularly unusual responses to medications. This is only my experience.

July 12, 2014 3:34 AM

Review by kal320 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Was on Lexapro after the death of my mom, I didn't like the sexual side effects so I was switched to Wellbutrin, it made me hungry all the time but did work for a few months then suddenly stopped and I was worse than before. I went back on the Lexapro and am doing much better with the anxiety and depression. As for side effects, I would rather deal with those then anxiety and depression any day.

July 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Dissapointed (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I only rated this a 7 out of 10 because the medicine definitely helped my anxiety and mood disorders tremendously, but I gained 20 lbs in 6 months! I haven't really changed my lifestyle or eating habits, so this makes it depressing. It is like a double-edged sword. I went to the doctor today and she suggested switching to over to Prozac, however, I have read that many people also gain weight from that so I am hesitant to take it. I stopped taking the Lexapro 4 days ago and am going to wait to see if I can handle no medicines at all!

July 7, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by Dburge (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro really surprised me. It help so much with my depression and compulsive disorders. I mean before, I could even function with my life or at work. I was extremely paranoid and didn't want to socialize at all. I've been on for 1 Week, and I can tell you I feel more confident and social. I'm more relax and see life brighter than what I saw before. I shouldn't had to wait 26 years to finally be happy. I currently taking 10mg. At first the medicine made me dizzy, but after 2 day, just normal.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 10:48 AM

Review by Zappo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: It made my anxiety and depression worse while I was on it. During the six months it took me to wean myself off of this medication, my anxiety and depression were significantly worse than before I began taking it. I later read on PLOS Medicine that my experience is fairly typical.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by ddmau (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I suffered from depression and generalized anxiety disorder for 4 years and 10 mg of Lexapro worked miracles. Side effects lasted about month and included fuzziness, fatigue and brain zaps. I weaned myself off 6 months ago and should NOT have done that. Fell into major depression and horrible anxiety including panic attacks. Really bottomed out finally with a twitching emotional collapse curled up in bed. Forced myself to Dr. who put me back on 10 mg 3 weeks ago. First week side effects horrible, including nausea, cramps, brain zaps, tremors and nightmares. Now, into 4th week, depression is gone, anxiety much relieved and able to function. I know in another couple of weeks, I will be back to normal again.

June 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Curlz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong.

June 21, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Bikebke:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Good

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by ladyluck319 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had terrible symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. When I would go out to eat within 20 mins. of eating I would have terrible diarrhea. I could chew gum or drink something in the morning getting ready for work or school and I would have diarrhea. I would on occasion have bowel accidents within a few feet of making it to the bathroom at home, when coming in from going out to eat. The first time I was put on escitalopram for nerves, this was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I felt "normal" for once. I did not want to bite people's heads off and the diarrhea, gone, that department was normal for the very first time since my teen years. I started taking escitalopram in my early 40s. This medication is a God send.

June 17, 2014 12:29 PM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Doing Much Better (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been on the medication for about 6 months now. I used to be one of those people that frowned upon others taking these sort of medications. Until one day, out of no where, I was struck with major anxiety, which then caused me to become depressed. I'd avoid social gatherings. I'd have complete nervous breakdowns about meeting up with friends. Every morning was a battle to go into work and face my colleagues. I started drinking heavily. If I had to go out, I'd take a shot to calm my nerves. I went to the Dr. and she prescribed me. Ever since taking the medication, I'm pretty much back to who I used to be. I feel free again. I'd recommend this to anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression.

June 5, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by Caily:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Began this medication about 5 weeks ago. Currently taking 15mg (escitalopram) and obsessive worrying is SO much better/decreased. Minimal side effects in the beginning: some dizziness, some nausea but only at 5-10mg, tiredness that went away and so now take medicine in the morning as it will cause insomnia if I take it in the evening. My sleep is better, appetite better and I am back to exercising and anxiety is decreased. I am told I can continue to see results up to 12 weeks.

June 4, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Saffwoo7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've been taking Cipralex (Escitalopram) for 7 weeks and I feel generally more laid back, intrusive thoughts are easier to brush off and overall a good start.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Antimeds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.

May 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM