User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 8 reviews 39 medications

Bipolar Disorder 30 reviews 33 medications

7.5
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1281 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Anxiety: "Hi all, I really hope someone still reads this and responds. I started taking Lexapro about 4 days ago and I have been feeling awful. I am on 5mg and I take it right before bed but it causes me to wake up in a panic I feel like shaky sometimes I'm hot and then I'm cold because I blast the air. I went to the ER because it made me feel so bad and it scared me however they just said it was side effects and stick it out. I'm just hoping to get some relief knowing someone else has experienced at least sort of the same thing. I want to stick it out because I suffer from anxiety and it keeps me in the house all the time and my thoughts just won't stop but this medicine seems to be making things worse. Someone please tell me that it does it better!"

Akeem26 May 1, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I tried prozac/fluoxedine before this, awful nausea and diarrhea. Switched to 5mg-10mg of lexapro daily and although it's been only a week I'm at the "dangerous" part of my PMDD. Completely leveled me out and my panic attacks have subsided! Mood swings are very minor and pains are PMS level. I'm so far very happy with this medication!"

J.N. (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "back on lexapro after a few years of not taking it. only been taking it for about a week so far and having little side effects at all. yawning a fair bit and feeling a little tired here and there but for me this is a good thing because i used have real trouble sleeping at night. nothing else other than that. no dizzy spells, no nausea, nothing! if you are new to this or are reading reviews to see if you will be ok with lexapro than PLEASE give it a chance. you will be so thankful for it once you start feeling the benefits from it. as i said ive only started taking it again about a week ago so im not back to being my normal self just yet but i know its coming any day now with a positive attitude!"

Johnny Tapp May 1, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Didn't do much for me at all, often felt sedated. Motivation is really bad. It stopped me from crying 24/7 and now I have an appetite but thats about it. Onto the next med I guess, I need the next one to be much better."

Nextmediguess (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with GAD, doctor prescribed me escitalopram 10 mg. I'm on week 3 and still with some side effects such as head pressure, insomnia and thinking a lot. Can someone let me know how long it will take to feel ok?"

Rodry (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm have been taking Lamotragine and have started on escitalopram for bipolar 2. What an amazing turn around. Where I used to be extremely reactive and explode in to a rage at any little thing I now feel calm and at peace with the world. I have actually started to feel happy. I always suffered from hypo-sexuality and it was so exhausting to be fighting with sexual thoughts and tension constantly. It's such a relief that since being on escitalopram this too has stopped. I now see everything from a much more rational perspective. I've even begun to really "feel" in love with my wife. Sure, it's one big drawback is that it is an orgasm killer, but I'm finding this is a small price to pay compared to all the benefits. It's given me my life back"

Mr Bean April 24, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I felt a positive difference within the first week. I also have generalized anxiety and it seems to have helped with it as well. Due to my epilepsy, I take the highest dosage that I can, which is 10mg. I feel better but I think 20 would work great."

koffepot (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have taken Lexapro for 10 years. I had severe depression/anxiety and was put on Lexapro and xanax-(initially). If I skipped or I didn't take my Lexapro on time, I would have a bad bought of anxiety within a day. Too much or double up, and my brain was on fire and severe anxiety. But, it has been a life saver. I am totally myself with no weird thoughts or dreams and am happy! Your body will let you know when you should lower your dosage, but that will take a while, like years (headaches were my symptoms). Note for women, I still felt off right before my period. My doctor added the mini pill for the estrogen and now I am 100% all month. P.S. watch some of the generics, some have bad side effects!!!!"

jhappy! April 20, 2016

For Depression: "I am taking Lexapro for about 2 years. Recently I have started taking it from 5 mgr to 20. For sure this medicine works for my depression very well , however I am feeling very fatigue after using high doze and I cannot stay awake even during the day. I always take it in the morning. I am going to switch to the afternoon and hope it change my sleepy mood during the day. Does anyone take this in the evening to see the changes?"

Sara/mat April 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I personally didn't like this medication. The first intake had me feeling like a walking zombie. It made me deaf and nauseous."

nishiiiiiiie April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for : "I was prescribed lexapro after trying Zoloft. Zoloft did not work out for me. I've been taking lexapro for two weeks now and over all I feel much better. I occasionally have to take half a klonopin on bad days but over all, I am improving. There were some side effects but I was able to manage them even with school. Nothing I couldn't handle. I have a much better out look, and I have motivation to help others. I'm trying to exercise as well. I hope this medicine continues to help with my anxiety and depression:)"

Quince April 15, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been on this for 9 weeks now for anxiety and depression. Firstly may I say that I took Sertealine and had an awful experience so I put off taking any more medication for 8 months. When I finally tried Excitalopram the initial week was a bit grim but it has now evened out. I am definitely less anxious but depression is only just starting to lift now. Overall though I am hopeful that given time this will work more fully.Now a few points worth remembering ... 1. We are all different so what works for me may not work for you & vice versa. 2. Please give any medication a fair amount of time to get through the initial side effects ( 2 weeks ish) and to start to get to work ( 4-6 weeks) and to see its full effect 3 months. Hope this helps."

Half full (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had to w/d from MAO (difficult) it worked well as I am medication resistant. Tried brintellix but "hyped" me up. Now on day five of Lexapro 5mgs. Feeling nauseated but not bad. Sedated but can't rest due to high anxiety. Does this improve. Feeling so desperate:("

Mdesp April 14, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on many medications through the years, and this is the first one I've been on a medication that didn't make me drowsy, and had side effects I could tolerate. Having Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, and Anxiety, but also having issues with psych medication side effects; I've been quite happy with this medication. It takes the edge off my negative moods, and at times renders me ambivalent-- which is better than before considering my PTSD anxiety was driving me to suicidal inclinations. However, if you aren't dealing with severe depression and anxiety, I'd suggest something less intense. Also, my medicaid covered this medication, but many insurance companies wont, and the original price is naught to scoff at."

Tia DeFye (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have taken Lexapro 20mg for two years now for anxiety and it has been great. I do feel tired through the day at times, but I gladly take that in comparison to panicking all day for no reason. This stuff can work if you give it a chance."

Jmuncie25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on cipralex for 4 weeks now and my doc increased it to 40mg however when I was on 30mg I didn't have as mugh anxiety. I feel the drug has helped more with my depression but my anxiety is still severe. I take lorazepam also twice a day and seroquel at nite to sleep. I'm just hoping it gets better with my anxiety. I also take seroquel 25mg as a prn. I've been told to be patient but it's so hard when you don't feel good."

Shamaras April 9, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hello, I have been taking escitalopram 10 mg for the past 2 years. My story: I never considered myself as someone with GAD but all the sudden I broke down and had panic attacks and lost 20 pounds in 10 days because I couldn't eat anything. I was only living on water and maybe a yogurt per day. I always had the feeling of choking and that something is in my throat. I was in therapy for 2 years by then, but for other reasons: I felt lonely. I was far away from my family, 29 years old and felt being late with everything. Finishing school, not being married, no real friends... I think the circumstances were triggering. After 2 years of taking it I feel very good. Intense long dreams dry mouth are my side effects."

Am Molnar (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2016