User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 8 reviews 40 medications

Bipolar Disorder 31 reviews 33 medications

7.4
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1304 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Anxiety: "I felt nauseated and irritable immediately after my first 10mg dose. I was angry and hostile. After the 4th day I became suicidal and attempted to take my own life. Very scary experience with this medicine."

ja2016 May 29, 2016

For Depression: "Great medicine, depression improved a lot. Now on 7th week, and relatively low depression, panic attacks and anxiety. Side effects also subsided. Lost almost 6-7kgs but now gained 3kgs only in a month"

imnabeel May 28, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it for one month and I have gone from a severely depressed recluse full of anger, rage and self hate, not wanting to see or hear from anyone ever. I am back at work, socialising, eating normally, playing sport and am about to book an overseas holiday. I felt some positive effects after two weeks and felt good after one month. Depression and social anxiety has definitely improved. I don't have any constant racing negative thoughts anymore, these disappeared after about a week and a half. I had very minor side effects but it was nothing that wasn't manageable, a few minor headaches and feeling spacey for the first week. I take 10mg at night because it makes me feel tired and I have a great sleep."

rk123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I first started lexapro when I had a massive panic attack in October 2015 it came out of no where and after seeing doctors they disagnosed me with health anxiety.. I'm a mum of 2 and I'm always constantly worrying if I have cancer or if that niggle in my leg was something bad... After my panic attack j was put on 2.5mg and the first week was horrible.. Nauseous, feeling Crap and solo tired... After that I started feeling so much better. I'm not on 15mg and very happy.. I started letting anxiety rule me life and it was turning me into someone I wasnt.. I've always been scared of the stigma of having to me on medication to get me through life however if it helps me be a happier person and a better mum then I'm more then happy with my decision"

Mumwhoseekedhelp May 27, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I went on Lexapro for depression and anxiety. I noticed that generally it relieved my anxiety symptoms, but had some bad side effects for me. Most troubling was the weight gain. I've always been quite slim, but while on Lexapro I gained about 30 pounds, so that was very distressing for me. Also, if I forgot to take my medication I'd get terrible migraines. I'm now transitioning off of this medication because of the weight gain. I've already started to see a difference and lost a couple of pounds (with healthy eating and regular exercise). Overall, this med was good for my anxiety, but meh for everything else."

Good for anxiety, but... (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Started Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg taken at 8:00am 2 wks ago for anxiety and mild agoraphobia due to worry over having an anxiety attack-a tsunami of nervousness would overwhelm me and make me fearful and filled with unease. I was always worried about why this was happening to me out of nowhere. And I avoided going to places I once enjoyed. After day 12 a switch flipped. I felt myself again, happy, easy going, not worried, not anticipating something bad was going to happen. What I cannot handle is the sleep disruption this drug has caused. Waking at 3, 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Dr. prescribed .50 mg Xanax, which is helping me through this side effect. Hopefully it will subside when my body adjusts to the serotonin levels"

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "All I can say is WOW! After the birth of my son, I developed insomnia and anxiety. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to get enough sleep and the result was not being able to sleep. In addition, I have very high expectations of myself. I work from home and was studying at the time. From this, I caused so much anxiety for myself to the point where I couldn't control my thoughts and feelings. I was prescribed Zoloft which probably made me more anxious and I was on that for a year. My GP switched me to Lexapro 4 months ago. On this med I feel like a different person. Happy, no anxious thoughts, I am sleeping like a log and am dreaming! I haven't dreamt in years and it's lovely! I have had no side effects on this drugs :)"

Brmm May 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Hello all , my esperience with lexapro is very good , first of all i head extreme panic attack all days , extreme anxiety extreme weaknes . After one week of taking i feel more powerfull no panic attacks but anxiety is still there i hope in few weeks anxiety will be gone"

Gango May 25, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "For me personally, I hated Lexpro. It made me a shell of the person I used to be and like others have described, a walking zombie. I couldn't connect with my emotions whatsoever. There are much better SSRI's available!"

finners (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I've been on it for 7 years. Worked like a magic bullet at first. Reduced severity and intrusiveness of thoughts and obsessions. Helped with panic attacks, anxiety and helped me get back on track. However, I have constant FATIGUE. I'm fat now. I have no energy. Can't get anything done. I love that my OCD is better but I can't go on like this."

Chouette99 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was told by my psychiatrist to try lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety. I have tried other medications in the past to help with it like Wellbutrin and Zoloft. They didn't help at all I got side effects right away like nausa,headaches and dizziness. So I was hoping that lexapro would help where the others didnt. I kept a positive attitude in hopes that it would make me have less anxiety. I took my first pill and 2 hrs later I felt so nauseous that I had trouble standing up without wanting to vomit. Then I starting feeling like my scalp was on fire. Also parts of my skin felt like it had a burning sensation. It didn't go away for the rest of the day. The next day I tried again and the same thing happened I wondered if with EDS if I can't take it"

Abra0517 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "My mood improved significantly with Lexapro. No anxiety or panic attacks whatsoever. However after about a week on it, I had severe diharrea. I literally was afraid to eat."

Steven1970 May 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "My experience with lexapro has been a very rocky one, to say the least. The beginning symptoms for me were terrible, extreme nausea and vomiting, restless leg syndrome, jaw clenching, and vivid nightmares. After the first day, the nausea and vomiting was gone, and after two weeks my symptoms were manageable. I felt like this medication really helped me with my depression in some ways. I was much more motivated, more sociable, and it helped my anger issues. However, I decided after six months I would like to stop to see if my depression was better. Bad choice. I hurt all over my body so bad, I felt like I was coming down with the flu. I was so dizzy and disoriented I couldn't even function in my daily life. It was a nightmare."

Amby250 May 18, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had every side effect in the beginning. Almost quit taking it. But I am so glad I stuck it out. After 9 months of being on the medication I am finally starting to feel normal again. I begin taking this after I had my second baby I suffered terrible anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder. I am still breastfeeding so that was sent me your consideration however I haven't noticed anything changing in my child whilst feeding. I am so glad I continue taking this and I have to say to anyone who is thinking about stopping due to the side effects at the start keep at it it will only be a couple of months before you start to feel better. Lexapro seriously saved my life!"

Emzmother May 17, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I am taking 20 MG and it has completely taken away my anxiety. I do not like the sexual side effects but its much better then getting panic attacks. Highly recommend this drug for anyone who has GAD."

NoMoreAnxiety May 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I posted previously about my depression due to my father passing and I've been on 20mg for about 4 months and it helped a little bit for a while but now my depression is as bad as it was before starting the medication. I'm posting this because my previous post had it rated as an 8/10 but I thought I rated it as a 4/10. The side effects when first starting were horrible, I had extreme nausea and massive headaches for the first 3-5 days. It also makes me feel exhausted all the time no matter how much sleep I get."

Sxanb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Im 17 years old and started suffering with depression a couple months after my dad died and thats when I was put on Lexapro 10mg. The side effects were horrible for the first couple of days, extreme nausea and massive headaches. About a couple of weeks later we upped my dosage to 20mg and it helped me with me depression a little bit for a while but now (about 4 months later) my depression has gone back to how it was before I started Lexapro. Ive also noticed that it has made me extremely exhausted all of the time. I have to sleep at least 12 hours to function and even then it is hard to wake up and carry out my day. This may work for some but it did not work well for me. Im going to try to switch antidepressants within the next few days."

Sxanb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on escitalopram for about 4 1/2 months and I am finally anxiety free. I wanted to share my experience since I constantly read reviews here and it helped me realize the initial symptoms were happening to others. In the first few weeks I had an major increase in anxiety especially in the morning. I had hot flashes, ringing in the ears, bowel issues, wasn't hungry, and pretty much thought I was getting worse and should just quit. I read other positive reviews on here and decided to stick it out. I am glad I did. After about 8 weeks I felt improvement in my anxiety that gradually kept getting better. I used to obsess and worry about trivial things. I had anxiety about driving etc.. Now I am happy and anxiety free."

FreefromAnxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've always been an anxious person, usually I find my anxiety serves me well to stay on top of a busy household, but occasionally the anxiety is destructive instead, like after the birth of a child or difficult times. I'd had a horrid couple of years, nursing my mum to the end from cancer and eventually it caught up with me, panic attacks, health anxiety, obsession on breathing, palpitations constantly. I went straight onto 20mg as had been on this drug briefly a decade ago. The first 24 hours were weird, dizzy, disorientated, mildly nauseous and a huge panic attack. I only slept 3 hours a night for the first 2-3 days. By week 3 I sleep 8hrs a night, have energy during the day and zero anxiety. I feel great! Lexapro is great but be patient"

Mumtolots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Overall, for me, Lexapro was very destructive. I was on it for about three months and in that time my depression worsened, but that's not necessarily the worst part. The debilitating panic attacks that put me in the hospital was the worst part. After cutting the dose from 10 mg to 5 mg and not seeing any difference, I discontinued it. Bad depression, bad anxiety, bad drug overall; at least for me anyway."

elliottgroce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

For Depression: "I started to take Escitalopram as only med to deal with a moderate-severe depression with anxiety and despersonalitation. After a try of 2 months, the medication did not work for me, my mood improve and stop the suicide thoughts, but I could not cope with the side effects, mainly parcial convulsions. I had seizures almost every day."

mirima (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After the death of my father I was thrown into an extremely depressive state and it only got worse as time went on. I was unable to get out of bed in the morning, go to school and could not carry out my normal life due to the constant feelings of hopelessness, sadness, etc. I had lost interest in everything and everyone and also began self harming. Ive been on Lexapro (20 mg) for about four months and it has helped me a large amount with my depression but it makes me feel like a bit of a zombie. The side effects were not the best but it has given me the energy and hope to get out of bed in the morning. Lexapro helped me a immense amount and I would recommend that you try it."

ShawneeB May 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Hi all, I really hope someone still reads this and responds. I started taking Lexapro about 4 days ago and I have been feeling awful. I am on 5mg and I take it right before bed but it causes me to wake up in a panic I feel like shaky sometimes I'm hot and then I'm cold because I blast the air. I went to the ER because it made me feel so bad and it scared me however they just said it was side effects and stick it out. I'm just hoping to get some relief knowing someone else has experienced at least sort of the same thing. I want to stick it out because I suffer from anxiety and it keeps me in the house all the time and my thoughts just won't stop but this medicine seems to be making things worse. Someone please tell me that it does it better!"

Akeem26 May 1, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I tried prozac/fluoxedine before this, awful nausea and diarrhea. Switched to 5mg-10mg of lexapro daily and although it's been only a week I'm at the "dangerous" part of my PMDD. Completely leveled me out and my panic attacks have subsided! Mood swings are very minor and pains are PMS level. I'm so far very happy with this medication!"

J.N. (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016