User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 125 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 824 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Marathon01:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by hcg90:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by JessicaI:

For Depression: I've been on Cipralex (escitalopram) for about three years. I've had to increase the dosage a few times in order to get consistent results, but I am overall happy with this medication.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:05 AM

Review by jesb:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by LineH:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by Andrew78 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I was taking it with pauses for 4 years. It eradicated my anxiety but gradually it eradicated also my libido. No visual stimulation, spontaneous erections, lust and passion. I am 36 in good shape and don't have other health problems.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 2:18 PM

Review by willie jay:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by lilyab (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Suffered from mild anxiety and mild depression as well as moderate PMDD. This medicine at 5mg has literally transformed my life. I was worried about weight gain as I had an eating disorder before, but I haven't gained a pound or lost a pound. I am the person I used to be, I don't yell and scream from PMDD anymore. The first week I had headaches, and vivid dreams but that goes away, now the only side effect I have is very entertaining detailed dreams; its neat actually.

December 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Lori R.:

For Anxiety: I thank God for Lexapro! I have been taking 10 mg for a year now and it has worked wonderfully! Before Lexapro I had severe anxiety & depression, now I am free of that! I was also addicted to Xanax, taking like 3-4 mg a day, now I might take 1/2 mg once every 2 weeks. I am working on not taking Xanax at all. If have doubts about Lexapro, please try it & it WILL work!

December 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by rabirabo:

For Depression: Whenever I took a single tablet I got awful heartburn.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by KH411:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Kody G.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by J.M.:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Louis 45:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by MiltonMiller:

For Anxiety: I'm a 43yo male and my doc prescribed 10mg Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It's been 6 weeks now and I've got to say the change has been brilliant. I no longer have those really bad anxiety moments, instead I can now brush them aside if they do rear their head. I'm bursting with energy, motivated, far more outgoing, and above all much happier than prior to taking Lexapro. I now sleep like a normal human and each day I get up ready to tackle a new day with positivity and confidence. I have also seen a counsellor several times which has helped me get to the root causes of my anxiety. I would highly recommend anyone prescribed Lexapro for anxiety to do the same. Side effects have been minimal and were mainly in the first week.

November 18, 2014 1:55 AM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM