User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 129 medications

Somatoform Pain Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 1031 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Escitalopram

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Works great for GAD. I fought my feelings for years and just toughed it out. I found myself drinking to ease my symptoms. The drinking helped turn my brain off for the night, but the feelings just came back the next day. Finally told my doctor about my symptoms and was prescribed Lexapro. Within 48 hours the anxiety was dramatically reduced, no excessive sweating, mind racing, etc. This drug is a god send. 10 mg works best for me, tried 20 but couldn't feel the difference. Now just have to deal with the drinking."

Willard the Rat August 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was really suicidal before I started this and its helped me a LOT. I take this for my anxiety also and I don't find that it helps but it does help with my depression. I had problems with self harm and ripping my hair out before I started lexapro and I haven't relapsed on that. This medication has also helped a ton with my anger issues."

Christina0123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This medication has been very effective for me. After years and years of living with anxiety and doing all the right things to get rid of it organically, I finally bit the bullet and started on 5mg. Decided after a particularly bad month of anxiety to start a script I had been given a year ago. Read reviews, most of them saying you need to stick it out to pass the side effects and get the full benefit, so that's what I did. I took the 5mg for a week, went up to 10, and have now been on it for 3 whole months. The initial side effects were as follows: nausea, sleepiness, memory deficits (short-term), headaches. Those went away after 2 months. And anxiety is gone. I am calm and collected, I no longer sweat the small stuff. No insomnia."

Rrrrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I'm 23 and I was starting to suffer from terrible insomnia due to anxiety. I was getting so stressed I couldn't sleep and it affected my job, relationship and my whole life. I was a nervous wreck I would start crying out of nowhere and couldn't stop, I would have panic attacks with my chest tightening and my legs going numb. My blood pressure was 150/100 and I'm 23! I've had a history with anxiety but was always able to manage it somewhat with a couple panic attacks here or there. Got put on 20 mg of lexapro and it has worked fantastically. I have my life back. I'm not worrying about anything I use to and it has improved every aspect of my life. Give it a shot ignore the negative it took me 5 days to feel effects."

Rockstar6119l August 30, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Lexapro was a life saver for me. I have really bad TMJ and was in pain daily. The lexapro really helped me calm down and my symptoms went away within a few months! This was my first time taking any medication like this, and to be honest I was so embarrassed to be on it, but after I saw how much it helped me and others there is nothing to be ashamed of!! The only bad thing is I gained 10Lbs. I went from 123Lbs to 133Lbs in a matter of 5 months. (Still worked out 5 days a week and ate clean) Other than the weight gain I would highly recommend Lexapro."

KRITTY BIRD August 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "So basically since I was around 20 (I'm 36 now) I've suffered from general anxiety and horrible panic attacks, really bad hypochondria. I've gone to the hospital thinking I was dying of everything. I graduated from an Ivy League college and suffered the entire time. Finally I decided to bite the billet and try lexapro (brand name not generic). I started at 10mg and had a week of terrible side effects including: depression, couldn't cry, weird feelings hard to describe, insomnia, increased anxiety, fatigue, all around shaky feeling. I couldn't deal with it so I started to cut the pills in half to 5 mg- side effects went away except I have increased libido (it gets annoying). No panic attacks. Still have anxiety a little tiny bit."

Jackieteetee August 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffer from generalized anxiety and frequent panic attacks. Been on the medication for a week now. First 6 days 5 mg, now its been upped to 10 mg. Definitely has taken the edge off, but I'm in a daze/dream like state. Gonna stick it out and give it a few more weeks. Better and more stabilized mood. Also, side effect of bad stomach pains and bathroom issues. Hoping thats also resolved soon."

Anonymous34353543 August 25, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was diagnosed with anxiety after having several bouts of severe anxiety and many lesser episodes. On two occasions I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. My Dr. prescribed Lexapro. I don't recall any of the issues other describe and after two weeks or so, I was feeling much better and only sufferred from a few smaller episodes. I have noticed that heavy drinking is a disaster while on this med and results in me feeling ill and panic. I have had no other side effects. I did run out for nearly a week once and did feel some negative feelings coming on. I do not plan to run out ever again. I have taken 10 mg since the start three years ago. Avoid heavy drinking!"

Doinbetter13 August 24, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed escitalopram for anxiety and panic attacks. I did not have any difference in anxiety and instead suffered from extreme depression and suicidal thoughts within a few weeks of being on it. My doctor made me promise to try this one for at least 6 weeks and the feeling only got worse and worse. I had to slowly ween myself off (as warned to do), and feel 100x better with that stuff out of my system. Apparently this side effect is rare, but very scary."

Amandatron August 24, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was feeling a bit anxious and depress. I am on lexapro 10 for 3 weeks.minimal side effects sleepy and yawny. But the first pill I took it made me feel myself. Thank you for this meds very effective."

dtdez August 22, 2015

For Depression: "After two and a half months of constantly being "down in the hole", my mood is finally starting to improve. I went from 10 to 20mg and it finally started working. Don't give up!"

deep_blue August 22, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I used this page for support when I first started out on Lexapro so I thought I'd give back. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg for dysthymia (mild chronic depression) and anxiety. The first few weeks were accompanied by a persistent mild headache and some nausea. I was much more tired - slept 8-hour nights plus an afternoon nap. 10 days into my prescription I was at the beach and I noticed some people's swimsuits appeared to have brighter colours. The world slowly began to appear more vivid visually and to have more "depth". At some point rumination stopped almost completely. Two months in, the world seems much more inviting and much less harsh than it used to. This drug works for me."

AllThatJazz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "Started on 5mg then moved up by 5 each month, currently on 15mg moving to 20 next week. I call this my miracle pill! First 5 days were hellish, worsened anxiety, headaches, tiredness, jaw clenching and just feeling out of it. But please stick it out! It's so worth it. I feel better than I have in years. I could hardly leave my house. Now I've done more in the past few weeks than I have in a year! Only reason I didn't rate it 10 is because I'm still not on recommended dose and still have a way to go. But all in all this has helped me so much. I'm a better person on this medication. Please try it. You don't have to suffer."

All good names are taken August 20, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on Lexapro for two days with Ativan for emergencies. I'm very pleased with Lexapro for being just a few days and already seeing a difference, plus medicine usually makes me very sick and this did not. Its nice to go to bed and not have 2 or 3 panic attacks with over thinking and palpitations. My only dislike, so far, is that it makes my teeth feel very strange and it's a little annoying. And also since it makes me tired, I take it before bed. But if I miss that window of being severely tired and don't fall asleep, then I am up for hours and hours. Still very tired, but restless. I hope to see those side effects go away after a long period of taking them."

AshleyH1989 August 18, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking a very small dose of Lexapro about 7 months ago for a sudden onset of quite severe anxiety/depression. My doctor put me on 5mg because I really didn't want to be on medication. I felt a little bit of nausea, but I couldn't tell if that was the medication or just a typical side effect of my anxiety. Even the 5mg made me feel better within 2 weeks. Then, we upped my dose to 10mg a month ago, and I feel great!!! This medication has really allowed me to get back to being myself again."

catconn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Escitalopram/Lexapro has been a life saver for me! I started taking it in October 2013, and it started helping me right away!"

Nanalulu (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Been on Lexapro for 2 days. Horrible nausea, headache. My husband asked the pharmacist about help with this. She recommended an over-the-counter liquid called Ematrol. Used by children and adults. It helped. Also sipped ginger ale as needed. Feel very out-of-body, shaky but trying to stick it out as everyone seems to say the first day/week is hell, but then all is good. Am continuing on Klonopin, per my psychiatrist's recommendation, until the Lexapro kicks in. Will try taking it at night, as this seems easier to "ride out" the side effects through sleep."

mattkend August 16, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Absolutely ineffective for my GAD....stuck with it for a year based on pdoc advice. Now I have to deal with tapering. What a mistake that has been. Additionally, I have tried several other ssri's as well as a few ssri's all to no avail. Suicidal thoughts, intolerable side effects, lack of any efficacy. Without Benzodiazepan's I would not be here now."

Johnny Joe August 16, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hello I'm 27 year old female. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and GAD when I first started college. The walls would close in and I felt like I wasn't working and then was put on 20 mg of the generic lexapro. Let me tell you. The side effects for the first 3 weeks were horrible I would sweat and be anxious all the time. I started taken 20 mg at night than after a week switched it to the morning . My doctor told me of the possible weight gain but I took the chance I did gain about 20 pounds but the anxiety definately decreased after the first month. Give this drug a try if your panic attack r bad"

Koloj August 14, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine did help to take the edge off slightly, but it was certainly not worth the 30 pound weight gain! Despite being active and eating in moderation the weight wouldn't budge until after 3 months of stopping this medicine. I've had to resort to Klonopin even though it's in the benzo class...better results with no sexual side effects or weight gain. Good luck everyone!"

Anonymous August 10, 2015

For Anxiety: "I had panic attaches and anxiety for more than 5 months until I started on escitalopram. if feel much better after 2 weeks. i am still on this medication since 4 months a go. the Dr recommended to stay on this med for 1 to 1.5 year. i highly recommend this med to people with medium to severe anxiety and panic disorders. What I also realized that my headaches nearly gone and i started eating and living well as i have not had any anxiety before."

DarkKnight_2015 August 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "It works really good. I also have anxiety and for the most part it helps. I still get anxious but that's just a part of life. Only thing about this medication I don't like is that it's very addictive. Not in the way you need to take it and take more of it like pain pills but rather, if you miss a doss or run out and are unable to fill it you will go through withdrawals. Neurological withdrawals, which are awful. So always make sure you get your refills on time!"

Neurologically imperfect August 10, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I just started this medicine 3 days ago and I cannot express how much of an effect it has had on me already. I just graduated high school and became depressed soon after, severe anxiety where I couldn't go out to eat without having to vomit. I also couldn't keep focus on anything, especially when trying to talk to people, and overall was in the worst state of my life. Thought I was hopefully, constantly having break downs etc. the doctor prescribed this medicine to me a few months before graduation due to anxiety and overall not feeling myself, I was definitely skeptical and taking medicine in my eyes was a sign of weakness so, I put off the treatment hoping I could cure myself out of this funk. I went to ctb and it helped but it was mainly focused on anxiety. I stopped going because it seemed a waste of my time. Graduation rolls around, my best friends leaves for college really early and my life falls apart. A week was about all I could take of the constant emptiness, headaches and nauseous I got from being so depressed so I decided to start lexapro. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg and the first day I took it (in the morning) I was in a state of euphoria. Just a little background on myself, I was never that outgoing but constantly happy. Never the one to be outgoing in front of strangers and was very conscious of people around me. Not on this pill. I was loopy, could not stop laughing and would not shut up. Although this was great, it did not feel normal and I had very bad dizziness and insomnia that night as the drug began to wear off.. But I wasn't laying in bed miserably like I did countless nights before, I kind of sat there with a smile so it was actually kind of creepy. That morning I called my physician and asked if this was a normal or okay reaction considering I've been told you shouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. He mentioned that it was "weird" that I had this response but it was a negative one. He recommended I cut my dosage in half and stick with taking 5 kg a day since the 10 obviously overtook my body. Within hours of hanging up I popped half a tablet and can honestly say I felt happy without many side effects. I continued this the following day and my relationship with my boyfriend, family, and friends has greatly improved, I sleep better, I can laugh and actually mean it and I can go in public places without constantly being self conscious. I've heard it can have bad results in week 1 and 2 but after taking this medicine for only 3 days, whether it's the placebo effect or not, has saved me and helped me to return to my normal self."

Shayyyyyyd (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I read these reviews which helped me to make a decision to take this med so I will add my experience in the hopes it will help others. I am 56, male and had two minor heart attacks 6 months ago. That and a very stressful job caused many sleepless nights and some stress and anxiety. My Doctor suggested lexipro a few times and I finally decided to give it a try. I was prescribed 10 mg and broke them in half as a trial so 5 mg to start.The first 2-3 days I felt no change but by day 3-4 the side effects kicked in hard. Nausea, severe hot flashes, fullness and tightness in chest, fogginess, very anxious feelings. I decided to stop after 6 days and was worried about any withdrawal but the day I stopped I felt much better. just my experience."

Here's my story (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've been on Lexapro for 2 years. Just recently switched to Effexor and Klonopin. Lexapro never really did much for me. At first, after the 2-week adjustment to the medicine which was hell, I thought it worked. But it may have just been placebo more than the medicine. Had multiple serious near life-changing anxiety attacks while on Lexapro which is why I switched. I couldn't be happier for switching. If you have anxiety, don't waste your time with an SSRI. Also, I've stopped taking lexapro multiple times. It's not too hard, you get aggravated at everything for a few days, the brain shocks aren't nearly as bad as people say they are."

GoJoGoJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015