User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 129 medications

7.5
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 930 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started taking lexapro, well the generic brand escitalopram. This is the first dose I have taken tonight with my lamictal and ambien and Neurontin. I have been feeling extreme anxiety, nervousness, depression, basically I am completely overwhelmed because of stuff going on in my life right now. I've been having a lot of nauseous, dizzy, racing thoughts, shaking, and headaches. I can't feel a difference yet, but it is my first dose. I have not had an appetite for days now and was hoping this would at least help with the nausea and kind of sick feeling cause I'm feeling quite weak. It's even hard for me to get up stairs, I can get up them, but feel like I have been working out. I hope it will be better soon :-)"

coop.acckrazlol (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "This medication was a game changer for me. After trying Prozac, Zoloft and Celexa with no effect I thought I was destined to have panic attacks for the rest of my life. Celexa even worsened my anxiety, causing my to go to the emergency room twice. At the time i started Lexapro, i was having debilitating symptoms, atleast 1 to 2 panic attacks a day with racing heart, racing thoughts, generally feeling like I was losing my goddamn mind. After a month of the Lexapro my anxiety began to calm, I have now been on it for 3 years and am relatively symptom free. I still experience heightened anxiety and the occationally panic attack but it is so much more managable and I am able to apply coping skills successfully."

Miss Bay May 19, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Had to wean off Effexor because it lost effectiveness after 15+ years and started Lexapro. I did not have a good time switching because of the Lex side effects and was skeptical this drug would keep my GAD in check as Effexor had for many years. I read this blog during the first few weeks, going from 10 to 15, and now 20 mg. It's been rough - BUT - the side effects of heightened anxiety and feeling loopy are diminishing each day and I feel pretty darn good! I'm glad I stuck with it - it works. For anyone who's suffered with GAD and then had relief for years (with Effexor), revisiting bad anxiety during the first 3-4 weeks on Lexapro is scary - no one ever wants to go back to that dark place again. Get past the side effects - it's worth it."

MasterGardener May 15, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I had anxiety symptoms such as dreading work daily, and physical symptoms such as lack of energy and almost a dizziness feeling that would start a few hours into my day and continue until I was home relaxing. This medicine has improved mostly all of my symptoms, except for the occasion day that is very stressful. I would recommend to anyone, and cannot imagine going off any time soon. Hope this helps someone else."

Anonymous May 14, 2015

For Depression: "Started out with 10 mg, stuck with it for probably 3-4 months, the entire time feeling sluggish, tired and lethargic. I would kind of sit like a zombie at my desk all day long. Did help my anxiety, because I basically couldn't feel much of any emotion at all. Reduced to 5 mg, still does take the edge of my anxiety, which tends to come in waves, especially during the night. However, I still feel somewhat sluggish and like my brain isn't as sharp. I've been on this dosage now for about 9 months, although on my doctor's advice I did try cutting it down to 2.5 or taking 5 mg every other day, but my anxiety got worse right away."

sugardaisy May 12, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Helped with depression at increased dosages but once at maximum dosage I had to change meds"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I have been on Lexapro for a year, it is fantastic, I feel so calm. I didn't want to go on anything but I'm so glad I did. Depression and Anxiety runs in my family, my 20 yr old who has tried to commit suicide has recently gone on it too, he is a different boy"

sharonlesley May 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Diagnosed with major depressive disorder 9 months ago, my whole life just fell apart, I coudn't sleep, couldn't eat, was having panic attacks every day. Tried every herbal remedy on the market but none of them worked. Started lexapro 4 months ago and it has helped to lift my mood by about 40% I am sleeping better but I am always tired and foggy headed everyday. I find myself being happy and full of life only 1 day a week then I will go back to the same way again, I am so sick of the ups and downs, last week I had 2 good days then a whole week of crying and feeling terrible. After 4 months It is just not doing what I thought it would have done for me. I feel like I will never get my old like back"

ChrisAus (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "This review is based on my own experiences and my opinion doesn't reflect Lexapro (Escitalopram). I found Lexapro's starting side effects to be mild and tolerable - I experienced dizziness, nausea, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction. However, like I said they were mild and tolerable and they subsided after a few days. I experienced no worsening of my depressive or anxiety symptoms. As I just mentioned I suffer from depression and anxiety and although I didn't find Lexapro to be a "miracle pill" that fully cured me of my ailment's but it did significantly alleviate them to mild and tolerable levels. Overall for me Lexapro was an easy antidepressant to start and it has been effective in treating my depression and anxiety."

James93 May 3, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Had extreme anxiety, panic attacks, couldn't ever sleep and excessive worrying. Lexapro helped immediately I went from 10 mg to eventually 20mg it helped so much but I gained about 15 lbs. I craved sweets and carbs all the time! My Dr. told me to try to go back to 10mg but then I became very irritable, so I went back to 20mg for months. Just last night I tried 15mg...Wow! My appetite is normal, no food binges, no sleepy fog, no anxiety, and my energy already feels normal!! It is only the first day, but I am hoping this dose is my permanent one. Before Lexapro I was getting a lot of OCD type scary thoughts that would not leave my mind-made me feel like I was going crazy and now my Dr. discovered I have a genetic factor. Lifer -Lexapro"

jc0047 May 2, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I felt better during the day after about a week, but the side effects have been unpleasant. Mainly the lack of sleep. Since the first day I started I couldn't get a good quality night sleep. Only 2 weeks in and I'm already feeling how I did before. Did the depression and anxiety go away? Yeah, for a short time. But it just gives me this fake happiness that I can't really describe. Its like a lot of the sadness goes away, but so does many other good feelings. I may be because of the lack of sleep/appetite/sex drive, but all in all, hasn't really helped me."

chris1469 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Lexapeo for a few years. I LOVE IT! Without it, I get depressed and feel a constant sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, I have frequent panic attacks that feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest, and I my mood swings? LEGENDARY. Lexapro saved me. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and panick attacks. Those should be enough, but I also had cancer and a miscarriage. So the depression, which has always been a thing, became a major problem. After finally having a child, the mood swing, another something that was always a thing, became horrific. No one could stand me. I've been on Lexapro since about 2010, and I have never felt better. I don't just exist. I live now."

BethGro April 30, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "I found Lexapro to be only slightly effective for Seasonal Affective Disorder and mild depression. It worked better for anxiety. I was able to sleep on this medication. It exacerbated my tinnitus, but otherwise there were no noteworthy side effects."

B-Hurd April 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I've had terrible anxiety and stress problems for a few years. I've been on this medication for 2 weeks and I can feel the difference all ready .. The first week was weird... Trippy . I'm on 10mg and I'm so happy my constant worry is going.. I'm free to live again"

nic007 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I have had mild social anxiety and depression throughout my entire adult life, but as I quit smoking a couple of years ago, both the anxiety and depression ramped up to the point that they were unbearable. I was afraid to leave my house, afraid to go out in public, afraid of was what to come next, as my condition was getting worse day by day. My doctor saw right away that something was wrong and prescribed me Lexapro, 10mg a day. Ive never been a fan of taking anti depressants or any pills for that matter, but felt like had no choice. During the six months I took Lexapro my confidence skyrocketed, I learned to be at ease in any situation and felt great. Stopped after 6 months, but the anxiety nor depression never returned. love it"

Misiu008 April 29, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "Started Lexapro four days ago,psychologically I feel better but have had terrible nausea,headaches and trouble sleeping at night."

Sophiaaaaa April 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've had depression since my teenage years but never spoke to anyone about it and didn't take anything for it until 2 and a half years ago when I had a bad run of luck with a few big things close together, it all got too much and I took a massive amount of prescription medication to try and end my life, 16 hours later I was woken up by my mum and taken to hospital. The Drs said most people wouldn't of woken up or at least had severe organ damage but I was ok, no damage. That's when I had to speak to Drs, psychs, family and some friends. They put me on lexapro and it worked fairly well for 2 years but when a few bad, stressful situations happened again it failed the test, I'm now trying venlafaxin, not sure yet but hopefully I get better results"

the fish (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: "It's incredible how much Lexapro has improved my overall emotional wellness in such a short amount of time. I was extremely hesitant to start medication for obvious reasons, but after much research I decided to give it a try. I cannot stress enough how much of a positive effect Lexapro has had on my life. Just feeling that the darkest of clouds has been lifted after lingering for years is pure happiness and relief; I didn't even think it was possible. The first week I was pretty nauseous and I still get drowsy and have some trouble sleeping on this medication, but it is nothing compared to how I felt prior to taking Lexapro. You deserve to be HAPPY. Give it a try."

AATM (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've been on lexapro for 4 days now, and I'm honestly feeling so much better. I read in some reviews that some of you guys experienced nausea, and I fortunately didn't. I just feel better. And I hope that as the time goes by my anxiety fades away even more."

Gioovaanab April 26, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I was terribly bullied in high school, made fun of my sexuality and developed an extremely high amount of social anxiety. I would shudder at the thought of going to school. I had lost hope. Visited a psychiastrist. Was prescribed Escitalopram. The medicine did not seem as if it was working in the first few months. I was given anti anxiety medicines too so I always credited them whenever I felt better. However, it has almost been an year and now I am only on Escitlopram. I realised I do not need to take any medicine at all because I am just soo confident. I realised that i am suddenly not at all hesitant to go for movies or anywhere Confidence = restored and depression = forgotten."

melbin12 April 25, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "Please, please give it a chance to work. The first week my anxiety ramped up. A few days in I was so sick in the morning I was concerned I may be pregnant (nope, the meds did it). But the nausea subsided and the anxiety slowed down and at about 5 weeks in it was basically gone. Xanax helped, but I no longer need it now. Prior to this I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I couldn't focus and I was filled with terror and unreality. Lexapro made these symptoms go away. I don't have constant thoughts and I don't live 'in my head'. Please give it a chance. Stick it out, I promise it worth it, if you felt anything like I did you deserve to feel better and it saved me from the looney bin. I have my life back. 5 mgs. to start and now on 10"

HipMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro has truly changed my life. I take it for Anxiety. I used to have anxiety everyday very bad. My heart would beat fast, and I would get butterflies in my stomach. Before I started taking it, I was very timid. Very shy and not good around big groups of people. I felt "socially awkward" ...After a few months of taking Lexapro I became so much more confident. I do well in big crowds. The only reason I did not give it 10 stars is because sometimes I do still get anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I def recommend this drug for anyone who has anxiety. Give it a try. It could change your life like it changed mine.1 other thing I don't like is it does make me a little drowsy no matter what time of the day or night I take it"

Anonymous April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Lexapro saved me! I started this two weeks ago and could tell a huge difference after a few days! My anxiety was getting the best of me before I started this medicine. I was having anxiety while driving in the car. I finally realized I needed something to help me. My doctor gave me Lexapro. It works! I did feel like a zombie at first but that side effect is fading away. Lexapro has given me my happiness back!"

TLDM April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: "I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety."

t-j-r April 24, 2015

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference."

Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015