Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Escitalopram

Also known as: Lexapro

Learn more about Escitalopram.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 3 reviews 129 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Escitalopram reviews 860 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Escitalopram

Review by Pennylan32011:

For Depression: Switched from Lexapro to generic escitalopram. Big mistake. Suicidal after 3 weeks. No problems for many years prior.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 11:31 PM

Review by BLAQDIAMOND:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It really has changed my life for the better. Before lexapro i'd taken wellbutrin, paxil, cymbalta, and zoloft. None of those worked. Paxil completely took away my sex drive. Cymbalta gave me horrible night tremors. Wellbutrin I just felt like a zombie and it didn't take away any anxiety, and the same with zoloft. Just felt like a zombie. Lexapro just gives me a feeling of being confident around larger crowds of people. Anxiety is little to none most days. I feel better. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because i've been taking it for 3 months, and I still have the "tired" feeling. No matter what time of the day or night I take it, I still feel tired. But it's worth it to feel normal.

March 17, 2015 9:51 AM

Review by Nigel420 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: works great not in much pain on some other meds right now

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 8:50 PM

Review by SAVED MY LIFE:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!

March 9, 2015 2:08 AM

Review by E.M (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: 2 years of living with physical symptoms such as nausea, headaches, dry mouth.. Not knowing what it was.. I was at the doctors almost every week getting every test imaginable! Changed doctors about 12 times... Finally one suggests that I might have Anxiety. 7 weeks of seeing a psychologist, didn't help! On my first week of 5mg, and then up to 10mg next week... So far so good! Not really any symptoms, so I'm liking it!

February 27, 2015 6:39 PM

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by Beezy9913:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse.

February 11, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Tara 02:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have just started taking escitalopram, 3 weeks ago after having had a terrible panic attack and been rushed to hospital. I feel still very anxious and jittery and not myself, I haven't been out of the house much and when I do I get very edgy and want back. I am turning 50 and I don't know if this all relates to menopause. I am going to have blood test and find out as I hate being like this. I have lost my confidence in going out. I feel these are making me worse.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 11:49 AM

Review by Tusentakk:

For Depression: I suffered from moderate depression. This medication balances me out pretty well overall. I don't have the horrible anxiety filled days that I previously had before taking this. I have been taking it for about a year now. The only side effects I had weren't too serious. I'd occasionally get an upset stomach but I figured out that's avoidable if I take it with food. Also I had (and still have) crazy vivid dreams nearly every night but that's harmless.

February 2, 2015 12:49 AM

Review by Toya89:

For Anxiety: I've started Escitalopram 10mg 2 weeks ago and felt great on day 3 & 4, after that It stopped working. I'm having a hard time dealing with that, because the feeling It gave me on day 3&4 was the best I've felt all my life. I upped the dose to 20mg now it's day 3 on 20mg and still nothing.

February 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Meghan2015:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again.

January 29, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Katmaryland:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on this about 6 months. I'm much more settled, less jumpy, way less anxious, and I've got my sense of silliness back. Yay! I have maintained my sexual interest and ability to orgasm, which is a relief. Prozac left me feeling way more anxious (and completely inorgasmic), Vibryd made me feel like jumping out of my skin and messed up my sleep for months. So... I will definitely stay on Lexapro. One note. It did make me sleepy during the day at first. I now take it at night.

January 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by Billh1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was on Celexa 20mg for a full year due to anxiety and panic attacks. The medicine was working great. I had to switch doctors and my new one suggested to a try Lexapro. She said its a cleaner and better medicine then Celexa. I said ok I'll try it. It's been two week and no side effects at all. It's been great. I'm glad I switched. I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro now which is the same as 20mg Celexa.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 1:09 PM

Review by Mozarella (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on escitalopram for about 2 weeks and stilling feeling the anxiety..BUT I know I have to give it time to work and not rush the good feeling it will give in time. I was thinking maybe I need 20mg instead of 1.5mg. May visit my doctor to confrim. I know it works and time will tell.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 8:29 AM

Review by Kate222 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Have been on Mozarin(Escitalopram 15mg) for about 3 years with one few months interval trying to give it up. Greatly helps for depression and social anxiety, makes body dysmorphic disorder easier to handle and somehow accept but absolutely doesn't cure. After this period of time decided to go off the medication as didn't see it was strong enough anymore. It's much worse without it, planning to go back on it or maybe start something new. Only drawback horrible withdrawal symptoms passing after 2-3 weeks.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Lexapro (escitalopram) has saved my life twice. 8 years ago it helped pull me out of horrible depression/anxiety from postpartum depression after my 3rd child was born. I actually ended up in the ER's psych ward. This time I fell back into a horrible place at the beginning of the holiday season. No real reason this time. Just horribly depressed and full of anxiety. I take 10 mg every day and I am in my 6th week.The differences is night and day. I can sleep, eat, and enjoy life again with out waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am very grateful, and would recommend this medicine to anyone who is as scared as I was.

January 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by Marathon01:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by KatyAnanda:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I relate to many people's experience here - this medicine is saving my life! Had the works, lifetime of depression, have battled through nervous breakdowns. Recently building up to full blown panic attacks. It's making me feel good in a way I've NEVER FELT! It's even reduced the pain on my nervous system from the chronic illness (autoimmune) that I've had since a teen. I wish I'd had this decades ago. (Had to get through a week of side effects, but they were bearable. Just a bit of dizziness, nausea and clenched muscles. Now my body's adjusted, my appetite is back, and I'm actually feeling stronger than I've felt in a LONG time.

January 18, 2015 11:12 PM

Review by hcg90:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by JessicaI:

For Depression: I've been on Cipralex (escitalopram) for about three years. I've had to increase the dosage a few times in order to get consistent results, but I am overall happy with this medication.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate