User Reviews for Tarceva

Learn more about Tarceva.

Tarceva Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.

Reviews for Tarceva to treat Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

"My mom was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC in June 2014. He couldn't move her left side very well and like a stroke because her cancer was spread to brain, she got radiation treatment (10 sessions), then she could walk herself. Her oncologist prescribed Tarceva 150 mg. She is still taking Tarceva until today, almost 9 months, she has the common side effects, rashes, loss appetite, so that she lose weight a lot. But her tumor size is decreased a lot. I'm very worried her, because she is coughing on these days when she drink water or mid of conversation. But she improved a lot her condition. I hope she get well soon like a normal healthy life. Thanks for Tarceva."

Mon Thu (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2015

"My wife was diagnosed with Stage IV non-small lung cancer that had spread to her liver and bones. After being on Tarceva for two months, lung x-rays indicated that the tumors in her lungs had neither grown nor shrunk. This month she is having a CT to determine the fate of other tumors. She has had only a mild skin reaction to the drug."

Reno hubby March 13, 2015

"My father was diagnosed with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with EGFR mutation May 2014 and has done very good. He is turning 72 in February. He is on Tarceva and it shrunk his two lung tumors down and now he is in remission. He got the tube removed. Now he has a cold and a sore throat and I am very worried he is going to get sick. I try really hard to pursue him to take immune pills and take care of himself but hey I can't have him be a germaphobic like me."

hopefordad December 17, 2014

"My boyfriend has Stage IV Adenocarcinoma mets to lymph nodes and chest bones. Within 2 months of starting Tarceva (started with 150 mg, reduced to 100 mg) his scans showed 90% improvement! It is incredible. The only reason I do not give it a 10 rating is that one of the common side-effects is a very bad rash. After 3 months, the rash has not subsided. It looks like a cross between measles, poison ivy and bad acne. It itches & burns too. We have tried all kinds of treatments, OTC and prescription, and nothing seems to touch it."

BrenMT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2014

"I have cancer after years of smoking. Chemotherapy did not work for me. Then when almost no hope I got erlotinib (Tarceva). Immediately after my scans it shows that cancer is going into remission. My doctors were very encouraging and slowly I started feeling better. I would feel like I have more energy. I go on walks every day and after 1 year and six months there are no traces of cancer. This made me feel so lucky to live. I started living a very healthy life after my diagnosis. I eat and drink healthy and after 1 year of Tarceva I begin jogging and living a normal life. I am very grateful that God has given me another chance. It is 8 years now that I am now cancer free. "

Parham radmanesh April 30, 2014

"My 83 year old mother has been on Tarceva since early December 2013. She had a chest CT scan in late February and it revealed only decreases in the size of her tumor and effected lymph nodes. There were no new developments and still no matastasis to her left lung. Prior to Tarceva she had two rounds of chemo and had less positive effects. She has a lot of itchy, dry skin with some burning/pain. We have managed to get a foot-hold on the dry skin but the itching/burning is becoming a concern. We will try a dermatologist to see if they can recommend something more effective than topical creams and lotions since she says that the burning/pain is more subcutaneous. Don't want her to have to stop taking Tarceva it seems to be working!"

Daughter of cancer patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2014

"My mother was diagnosed with lung Cancer May 2012. Due to her cancer she got a disability in her left leg she had one dose of radiation and since November she has been on the Tarceva tablet, since then she has been doing really well. Her reports have shown that the cancer has reduced and apart from rash she doesn't get any other side effects. Hope all you cancer suffers get well and God give you the power to fight it."

hnawaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My mother was dignoised with stage 4lung cancer that spread to her kidney. She was put on Carbo plation/Taxol. That didn't help at all. They took her off that and put her on Tarceva and that worked wonders. The kidney disappeared and also shrunk the lung mass. 3months later it started to grow in her lung. So she was put on Alimta for 3 rounds and that didn't work at all and her cough got worse. They still kept her on Tarceva since that seems to be the only thing that has worked. Now she's on Gemzar that has helped her cough a little/breathing. There's plans the doc said for a clinical trail that is for Tarceva patients that the drug has helped that's suppose to be a step up from Tarceva. So we are waiting and praying that gets approved soon"

Anonymous January 17, 2013

"I have taken Tarceva for over 6 years! Yes, I have a few side effects but nothing major or that I can't deal with. I am stage 4 with a small tumor and other cancer throughout my two lungs. I am most fortunate and blessed to be alive and leading a very normal life at the age of 74. My friends call me a miracle!"

Anonymous February 2, 2012

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My mother was diagnosed with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer in Mar 2011. Although she tested negative for the EGFR gene mutation, her oncologist started her on the Tarceva this past November. Two months later (yesterday, 1/17/12), we received her latest CT scan results. My mom's primary lung tumor has shrunk 80-90% and her lymph nodes have also markedly decreased in size! It is truly a miracle! The oncologist thinks my mom had a false negative on the EGFR to get these fantastic results. My mother never got the rash, but did have some diarrhea at first. The hardest part is avoiding dairy while trying to maintain her weight (Tarceva can cause some weight loss). The pharmacy that sends my mom the Tarceva has been so helpful to her also."

Shanky January 18, 2012

"My 63 year old mom was diagnosed with the EGFR gene mutation, stage iv lung cancer 4 months ago. The cancer was also in her brain , lung and bone. Since Tarceva started she has done extremely well. Her recent scan showed a 70% decrease of tumor size on the lung, the spot on the liver is gone and the ones on her brain are slowly getting smaller, even with a direct hit of full brain radiation. She has had some side effects such as rash, which she was very annoyed with but went away, diarrhea which she still has and recently stomach pain. Hoping it subsides."

Anonymous October 13, 2011

"This is a follow up after my diagnosis of stage 4 NSCLC last March. My X-ray after one month of taking Tarceva was good. I went back and have a CT scan in June and my tumor shrunk. I was responding well to Tarceva pill."

Anonymous August 23, 2011

"In March 11, 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. My oncologist prescribed Tarceva one a day 150 mg. I had the normal side effects; diarrhea and rash. Both were controlled, the rash was treated with antibiotics and the diarrhea just went away by itself. I understand this pill is a maintenance therapy pill. It seems to work well on me. Tomorrow, April 18 is my appointment, had an X-ray yesterday. I still have to know the outcome, but I am already feeling well. I had toracentesis before my diagnosis due to pleural effusion. Reading the posts here in this site gives me positive hope that Tarceva works well for patient's with NSCLC."

ldoman April 18, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In September of 2009 I was diagnosed with Adeno Carcinoma that originated in the lung and had spread to my spine and 9 lesions in my brain. The mass in my lung was 4.8 cm by 3.1 cm. My initial outlook was quite grim, however, after one round or radiation and 30 days of Tarceva, the cancer in the lung had shrunk 30%. In April of 2010 the cancer had shrunk 99% and the lesions in my brain were down to 1. I have been able to return to work full-time with my only limitations being to avoid sun contact with my skin as much as possible. Since I am a police officer, I have a power test I take yearly, which includes a 1 1/2 mile run, which I was able to complete with 29 seconds to spare. The medication is GREAT, even with the rash!"

Anonymous June 23, 2010

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"To me Tarceva is a wonder pill which shrunk my cancer cells by 50% in a 3 month period."

ra3755 April 25, 2010

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"As I said in my previous writing, I'll write about the status of my mother-in-law after the first visit to the doctor after start using Tarceva. Now it's 1 month since my mother-in-law started using Tarceva, she improved a lot. Now she can walk with no help from others while she was using wheelchair all the time before. The doctor when he saw her was very happy to see her walking. The side effect is mostly is blisters in the skin, the doctor said it's a good sign, he said when the you have a blisters in the skin this means the drug is performing well. Thank you and I'll write more after she do the scan in 2 weeks from now."

BassamAlharbi January 4, 2010

"My mother-in-law started having a breath problems last September 2009 and after the examinations they found out that here left lung is full of liquid they decide to suck the liquids out, 2 weeks later she still hardly breath and she can't lay down, another examinations and they found out she has lung cancer, she did many exams later and the doctor decide to give here Tarceva as one pill a day, now after 2 weeks of use of the drug she can breath much better than before. The doctor told us she must see the doctor every month and our next appointment will be the second of January 2010, I'll write later about here after she see the doctor."

BassamAlharbi December 15, 2009

"My mother started taking Tarceva after being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. So far she is doing okay - very chilled and developed a rash on her face which they say is not uncommon. Took her off of it for a few days to clear up the rash and hopefully she can continue. Her cancer travelled to her brain so we had a few more set backs but they tell us Tarceva has been known to help the brain in some cases just praying for the best."

Anonymous March 9, 2009

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2003 and went through treatment. In 2004 developed metastatic bone cancer in her back which was non treatable by chemo or radiation. Her doctor put her on Tarceva in 2005 and did a PET scan base line. We repeated the PET scan in Jan 2009 and her cancer has not progressed AT ALL! There are even a couple spots in her back that showed cancer in 2005 that did not appear in her 2009 PET scan. Mom has had no side effects from this medication. The doctors in 2005 thought Mom would only live 6 months, I am extreamly pleased to have her for 4 years and still counting. "

Anonymous February 6, 2009

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer