User Reviews for Complera

Learn more about Complera.

Complera Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of HIV Infection.

Reviews for Complera to treat HIV Infection

"I had surgeries in the past to remove a buffalo hump and fat on my neck due to HIV medicines I was taking. Recently in February I started taking complera, little by little I started to gain weight, having pain on my back and today I was looking myself in the mirror and I notice I'm losing definition between my face and my neck. I'm starting to look like a monsters again - I'm developing a buffalo hump again. I guess I didn't want to see it because I'm tired of changing medicines. Is very frustrating today was the last day I'm taking HIV medicines."

Carlos1677aol.com June 29, 2015

"I hate to scare people but I was one of the unlucky few that had depression and suicidal thoughts on this. It took about 4 days to notice any change but when it came it hit me like a brick wall. I felt fuzzy and severely depressed, even more so when I got my diagnosis. I couldnt help squinting my eyes for some reason I felt far away and distant and very, very down. Prior to this I was upbeat and positive about starting meds. I told my doc and he weaned me off by giving me 2 pills of Truvada and I felt a difference the very next day. I plan to start Stribild soon as it is not known to have any major psychiatric side effects. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with a history or depression or mental illness. Wish me luck!"

Mr. Me April 15, 2015

"Apart from gas and drowsiness, I don't feel anything bad. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"63, 5'10, 145 married male, 26 year leukemia survivor. Did not see a physician for first 3 years out of shame, fear and denial. Still heavily rejected/feared by what I consider to be ignorant ex-family & ex-acquaintances. Way past all that now. Hetero transmission. 10 difficult years with several threatening events; related streptococcus pneumonia, with 9 week on/off in ICU till diagnosed with strep throat; brain stem stroke; left lung pneumonia. IV Levofloxacin/Levaquin, oral dose for 30 months. Atripla co-pay of $125 for 3 months (x2). Doc suggested Complera to combat borderline AIDS lab #'s. Similar side effect of very explicit dreaming, mostly pleasant, some daytime fatigue. $0 with Gilead Co-pay card else $125. for 3 UNDETECTABLE!"

Fish the Choptank River! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2015

"Was diagnosed with HIV Sept. 2014. Began Complera a month later and three weeks later, my viral load was undetectable. In addition, I've suffered little if no side-effects. I'm a 48 year old, white male. As this is the only HIV medicine I've ever known and have noticed nothing different in terms of body changes or flatulence, or whatever, I'd give Complera two thumbs up--good luck, everybody."

Funkychicken (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2015

"I am 30 years old, diagnosed on January 7th 2014 I didn't need to take any medication when I first found out, in fact I went months without starting medication. My doctor said I may have been able to go years without any medication because my health and immune were managing it on its own. I'm very fit,active, and eat healthy. I decided to start Complera as a preventative. I did not want my health to get out of hand and I didn't want to be more susceptible to other illnesses. My experience has been fine. I started meds on June 1st the first week or few days it did make my stomach upset, dizzy sometimes but only after taking it not just randomly. But now it's just like a daily pill that I don't even notice. I'm happy and healthy."

Stevenbharo October 31, 2014

"Began Complera May 2013 after having been on Atripla. Positive since 1992. Both medicines have kept my viral load undetectable and T-cells above 700. Both have their side effects; but for now I'm sticking with Complera. I take Complera after dinner; hours before sleep (to help as much with insomnia. Doctor has prescribed Ambien). The side effects of Complera I hope work themselves out overnight. As for gas and bloating I have a glass of Metamucil every morning. And each day I live with a positive attitude, or as normal as possible!"

BFBUTLER October 2, 2014

"A year in on Complera and feeling extreme fatigue and 3 times a day I become dizzy, that I have to sit and wait for the dizziness to go away. I express this to my doctor and he assured me it was the medicine. Now I am experiencing tingling, numbness in my hand's and feet. My balance is unbalanced. Not to scare anyone. I have been positive for 2 decades and started treatment a year ago. I hear a lot of news about doctor's saying it may be low B12 vitamin. However, I know for sure what is the cause, the Complera. I never felt these effect's before in my life till now!"

Eve. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2014

"I am two months now on it after switching from a 3 pill a day combo. The first 3 weeks it was a horrible experience with stomach bloating gas and wind. It triggered my depression as well. Week 4 the symptoms started eliminating. 8 weeks now on and everything is back to normal except from being more happy having to take just one small pill a day. The blood tests couldnt be better with an undetectable VL and a good CD4 count."

demis July 18, 2014

"A year in on this med and feeling extreme fatigue. When I say extreme fatigue, I mean exhausted and out of breath. Not sure what and when will it go away!"

Is is affective, Just one major problem! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 10, 2014

"Complera is the only medication I have taken. At first the side effect were horrible terrible headache, bloating and foul smelling gas. Eventually those side effects when away but I did notice that I have been losing fat in certain places. Like my face, stomach and arms. My doctor basically dismissed my concerns but I know my body. I started taking a some protein and working out hoping this will counter act the medication. I like Complera but it's not worth a change in my appearance."

Red_rising (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2014

"Switched from Atripla to Complera hoping for a better health and a relief on neurosystem damages that it causes. The food intake and horrible bloating was the first side effects of it, they got milder as for the 2nd week. By the 8th week my face started changing rapidly, my cheeks got sunken and I developed fatty breasts; my doc denied the fact that my face was changing. I switched doctors and I went back on Atripla, the neuropathy and the neuro side effects went back;my face regain my cheeks at least a 90% of it, my chest looks normal again."

looking4cure77 June 11, 2014

"I got the pills a wk ago and was terriffied to start them after reading side effects. I've been on them for 2 days now, been positive 25 yrs come august. I am experiencing lightheadedness, mild headaches, dizziness, some nausea. I'm assuming its because I'm very petite. A lot of medicines are strong for me. Praying it will get better. By all ur comments, have to say, i"m much calmer about it all."

PrettyRican57 April 30, 2014

"I'm new to all this HIV talk about viral loads and CD4 counts. What I do know is my doctor told me I was right there at basically having AIDS. When I got my first blood work. He immediately prescribed me Complera and 30 days later I was undetectable. Now its been 6 months and I'm still undetectable and I've had minimum side effect besides some weight gain. Once a day I have a small meal and I'm good to go. Saved my life."

dbp (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2014

"I start taking Complera one month ago. My virus was 1142 in my blood and my T cells was 430 units. At the first week of taking Complera I had side effect but not serious like - diarrhea, I could not sleep good, I feel dizzy, headache, I lost appetite. And the most important I make a lot of gas but after a month I visit my doctor to check if the Complera is working to me and the result was amazing. The doctor explain to me that the virus in my body in now under 12 (undetectable) and the T cells are up to 660. I'm taking Complera everyday between 8 to 10 pm, after dinner."

Mamush22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2013

"I started taking this medicine within 72 of possible infection as a condom broke during sex and I totally freaked out as the other guy was positive .. and no side effects at all .. It's only been 2 days and I'm glad that this medication is helping a lot of people who are positive with the ease of the med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2013

"Here is the update. I had my first lab on Sept 1 and my viral load went from 44,000 to 380. My CD4 results didn't come yet. I will keep you guys updated."

trustgavemeHIV (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2013

"I started taking Complera before it was even on the market during its Phase III clinical trials. I've been on the Edurant/Truvada combination for more than 5 years now with very minimal side effects. The medication is extremely effective in quickly getting your viral load to undetectable levels. My only concern with this medication is that it has caused consistent mild to moderate abdominal pains. Mostly bloating but sometimes diarrhea and nausea. "

legoli (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 9, 2013

"I'm just updating you on my Complera side effects. I posted my thoughts on Complera on August 3rd, which was only 3 days on Complera. Now its been 30 days and I'm happy to let you all know I have ZERO side effects. I feel like the same old me, I do everything I did before. I take my dose between 10am to 11am every morning. I'm having my first lab on September 1st."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2013

"Only side effects I've had is gas, stomach craps, diarrhea but only go to the bathroom once or twice a day. I was diagnosed on June 5 2013 and my viral load was 89,000 and my CD4 258. On July 30 2013 I decided to get checked before starting treatment. My viral load went down on its own to 44,000 and my CD4 down to 248. I was prescribed COMPLERA on August 1st 2013 and I've been on it for 3 days. My first lab since Complera is Sept 1 so I will keep you updated."

trustgavemeHIV (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2013

"I started Complera as my first medicine about four months ago. After first labs were complete my CD4's went up and my viral load went down as expected. In this same time an ear infection that I had been battling for a number of years went away. I am also pleasantly surprised that my energy level has increased during this time as well. The only side effect that I have noticed is some almost unbelievable foul, almost constant gas. But, the gas is something I can live with and after showing my partner that it was a side effect so can he. Haha"

Bubba Bear July 26, 2013

"I'm a 70 year old woman - HIV detected one month ago. Viral load 38,000, CD4 21. Outward health condition asymptomatic so far. Have been on Complera to 12 days, I take it the same time everyday at 1800hr with a big meal. In the past I very seldom got sick from colds, Flu etc. May be every 5 years got a cold or Flu. Been athletic since 16 year till present. Blood test due in 3 weeks to see what's Viral and CD4 are. I don't feel any adverse reaction to the medicine presently. I'll post the test results on this site I when received them. Hopefully it will educate people with this condition."

Dog12345 May 30, 2013

"As an alternative to Atripla, this medicine is a God send! Compared to Atripla this medicine lowers your viral load very fast! But doesn't cause nearly any symptoms at all. Its easy to take once a day. I know that if the manufacturer can create this a cure or remission medicine is very close. And also watch out for constipation. If you get it just supplement with some Florastor and you're good."

Knar May 11, 2013

"I was put on Complera when my viral load hit 0. I have been on it 5 months. I get my labs done next week. I previously had been on 8 pills a day which caused awful nightmares. I was diagnosed HIV positive when I was 8 months pregnant, which was devastating, but miraculously within that short time until I delivered my baby my viral load went from 264 to 62. My daughter is HIV free. I guess the only downfall to Complera is taking with 400 calories. Time will tell. I also experience pain at times and insomnia."

JaimeMpos March 11, 2013

"I've been on Complera over a year now which at over $6000 a month equates to $72,000. There are some rage issues related to the medicine, as well as some insomnia issues and general mental health issues. My labs are great which is an upside. I'm an LTS of this disease having dealt with HIV into AIDS for 20 years now and been on about every HIV med in existence -- I come with a wealth of life experience."

Long Term User (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2013