User Reviews for Complera

Learn more about Complera.

Complera Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 104 medications used in the treatment of HIV Infection.

Reviews for Complera to treat HIV Infection

"Just started on complera a month ago. This is my first medication and I have to say I am very happy with it. Like others I waited over a month after I got my first prescription before I started taking it. I was more scared of the medication then when I first found out six years ago I was positive. The first couple of days I had some dizziness and fatigue and I have experienced some gas. However they have all subsided. I have read a lot of people have problems taking it with a 400 calorie meal. I was never a breakfast eater but decided I would take my pill in the morning. I have half a whole wheat bagel with two tablespoons of peanut butter 325k and half a cup of cottage cheese 110k for a total 435. Very light meal but provides the calories."

Rob3981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

"I'm a gay male.In Jun 2014, I had anal intercourse w/someone that I knew in Advance was positive, but undetectable.The condom broke inside of me unfortunately. I went on truvada/issentress with no side effects for 30 days. Tested in August and all was fine. Had a root canal in Dec 2014. Had a routine HIV test in Mar 2015, still negative. I never have unprotected anal sex. On 12/05/15 I Went for a routine HIV test... Was blindsided that the results were positive! I determined Since I was guilty of giving unprotected ORAL sex to several partners in 2015, I got infected due to my root canal. (Tooth not 100% attached to gums) No side effects on Complera... Just occasional eye twitching n Slightly lighter sleeping,dreams."

Plutoman January 22, 2016

"I have been HIV positive for over 16 years. I have taking HIV meds since 2004. A trick that I learn when taking Complera that may help some people. Complera has the drug rilpivirine in it. This drug is marketed under the name edurant. I use take it by itself before I started on Complera. The trick is to take the drug in the morning at breakfast but only take it halfway through the meal. By doing it this way you coat your stomach before and the food at the other end helps with the absorption of the medicine. By doing it this way I have never had any stomach issues, and by taking it in the morning I have no sleep issues. I am currently taking Complera with Tivicay. My T-cells are over a 1000, and my viral load is undetectable."

X January 7, 2016

"I tested positive in 1993, I actually thought I had a year or two left too live. I went without meds almost twenty (20) years. I started Complera in 2013. I'm undetectable and my cd-4 is now close too 700 up from 420. I still smoke cigarettes and drink socially. I haven't had any side effects. I'm 58 years old and African American, even at this age my physical stamina is good (basketball and tennis). Complera is the only meds I've taken and up too now I'm pleased with the results.And by the way, l take my Complera in the mornings with breakfast. When it's time too go too sleep at night, I sleep like a baby..Good luck guys and best wishes....Peace!"

red57 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2015

"I am a 34 yr old married woman who recently got diagnosed about 4 - 5 months ago through a routine Dr visit and I been on complera almost two months now and when I first started my viral load was 23,000 and I will go back to the Dr on Dec 15 to have my blood work done again to see if the meds are working!! So far only side effects are gas, and extreme hunger lol.... My husband is also Hiv positive and he's taking a different medicine and his is working so far as well!!!! I really need someone to talk to about this so if someone wants to talk - maybe give me some advice let me know because I'm still in shock and have alot of questions"

andrea 34 November 29, 2015

"It's been almost 2 years since switching over from Atripla to Complera and I've never had any problems or side effects with the medication. I usually take complera after dinner."

katiebug81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 24, 2015

"Got diagnosed 2005. I was 20. Started Complera 2014. CD 4 was 540, VL 75,000. Never Got sick or had OI's. Complera works fine, CD 4 now 942, VL undectatable ! Side effects# Gas , Foul smelling, constant and insomnia ! No rapid weight Gain"

StunningLady1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2015

"Male. 20 years old. Got tested on July 2015 and the results were positive. Started meds on late Septmeber 2015. I had the meds early September but I was so scared to take them because of the side effects. When I started the meds I didn't have any side effect. At night when I was sleeping my ear was hurting so much because I have otitis media and I think my ear reacted to this meds like this. Anyways, beside that I HAVEN'T GOT ANY SIDE EFFECT!! THANKS GOD. I haven't had any headache, diahrrea, dizzyness or vomiting. I'm so happy I haven't got anything just the ear pain. Remember, the side effects is always different in each person. Also, try to take this med with multivitamins. I feel a little bit better and less tired."

Bombline September 29, 2015

"I started to take complera 1 year ago when viral load was 1700 a d cd4 490. and I had immediately some side effects like a lot of gas some headache and diarrhea. But they stopped 1 month after taking pills after 2 months of this medication I started to feel like losing balance a bjt depressed and a bit dizzy as well. I got tested with a ct brain radiography and it was negative thank god. Then I got tested with cognitive exams and everything is good. So I suppose it must be complera. At the moment my viral load is undetectable and cd4 are 743."

val1988 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2015

"3 month into taking meds. No side effects. So far so good. I feel great. Had a time adjusting to taking med every single day. Haven't skipped any days. I take 2 hours before or after my set time. Found out I was positive feb. 11th. Started med June 1st. Undetectable after 2 month. I'm thankful for complera. I was terrified about taking meds cause of side effects. But I've had none."

pozlifejourney (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

"Was exposed to HIV by irresponsible person. I was given Truvada and Isentress and I never recommend the latter to anyone because it was terrible. My doctor changed my med and gave my Complera.it worked fine for me, no side affects except for sore throat. I recommend it, it is the best med for PEP and obviously after reading the reviews for HIC treatment."

Hamm3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2015

"I had surgeries in the past to remove a buffalo hump and fat on my neck due to HIV medicines I was taking. Recently in February I started taking complera, little by little I started to gain weight, having pain on my back and today I was looking myself in the mirror and I notice I'm losing definition between my face and my neck. I'm starting to look like a monsters again - I'm developing a buffalo hump again. I guess I didn't want to see it because I'm tired of changing medicines. Is very frustrating today was the last day I'm taking HIV medicines."

Carlos1677aol.com June 29, 2015

"I hate to scare people but I was one of the unlucky few that had depression and suicidal thoughts on this. It took about 4 days to notice any change but when it came it hit me like a brick wall. I felt fuzzy and severely depressed, even more so when I got my diagnosis. I couldnt help squinting my eyes for some reason I felt far away and distant and very, very down. Prior to this I was upbeat and positive about starting meds. I told my doc and he weaned me off by giving me 2 pills of Truvada and I felt a difference the very next day. I plan to start Stribild soon as it is not known to have any major psychiatric side effects. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with a history or depression or mental illness. Wish me luck!"

Mr. Me April 15, 2015

"Apart from gas and drowsiness, I don't feel anything bad. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

"63, 5'10, 145 married male, 26 year leukemia survivor. Did not see a physician for first 3 years out of shame, fear and denial. Still heavily rejected/feared by what I consider to be ignorant ex-family & ex-acquaintances. Way past all that now. Hetero transmission. 10 difficult years with several threatening events; related streptococcus pneumonia, with 9 week on/off in ICU till diagnosed with strep throat; brain stem stroke; left lung pneumonia. IV Levofloxacin/Levaquin, oral dose for 30 months. Atripla co-pay of $125 for 3 months (x2). Doc suggested Complera to combat borderline AIDS lab #'s. Similar side effect of very explicit dreaming, mostly pleasant, some daytime fatigue. $0 with Gilead Co-pay card else $125. for 3 UNDETECTABLE!"

Fish the Choptank River! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2015

"Was diagnosed with HIV Sept. 2014. Began Complera a month later and three weeks later, my viral load was undetectable. In addition, I've suffered little if no side-effects. I'm a 48 year old, white male. As this is the only HIV medicine I've ever known and have noticed nothing different in terms of body changes or flatulence, or whatever, I'd give Complera two thumbs up--good luck, everybody."

Funkychicken (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2015

"I am 30 years old, diagnosed on January 7th 2014 I didn't need to take any medication when I first found out, in fact I went months without starting medication. My doctor said I may have been able to go years without any medication because my health and immune were managing it on its own. I'm very fit,active, and eat healthy. I decided to start Complera as a preventative. I did not want my health to get out of hand and I didn't want to be more susceptible to other illnesses. My experience has been fine. I started meds on June 1st the first week or few days it did make my stomach upset, dizzy sometimes but only after taking it not just randomly. But now it's just like a daily pill that I don't even notice. I'm happy and healthy."

Stevenbharo October 31, 2014

"Began Complera May 2013 after having been on Atripla. Positive since 1992. Both medicines have kept my viral load undetectable and T-cells above 700. Both have their side effects; but for now I'm sticking with Complera. I take Complera after dinner; hours before sleep (to help as much with insomnia. Doctor has prescribed Ambien). The side effects of Complera I hope work themselves out overnight. As for gas and bloating I have a glass of Metamucil every morning. And each day I live with a positive attitude, or as normal as possible!"

BFBUTLER October 2, 2014

"A year in on Complera and feeling extreme fatigue and 3 times a day I become dizzy, that I have to sit and wait for the dizziness to go away. I express this to my doctor and he assured me it was the medicine. Now I am experiencing tingling, numbness in my hand's and feet. My balance is unbalanced. Not to scare anyone. I have been positive for 2 decades and started treatment a year ago. I hear a lot of news about doctor's saying it may be low B12 vitamin. However, I know for sure what is the cause, the Complera. I never felt these effect's before in my life till now!"

Eve. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2014

"I am two months now on it after switching from a 3 pill a day combo. The first 3 weeks it was a horrible experience with stomach bloating gas and wind. It triggered my depression as well. Week 4 the symptoms started eliminating. 8 weeks now on and everything is back to normal except from being more happy having to take just one small pill a day. The blood tests couldnt be better with an undetectable VL and a good CD4 count."

demis July 18, 2014

"A year in on this med and feeling extreme fatigue. When I say extreme fatigue, I mean exhausted and out of breath. Not sure what and when will it go away!"

Is is affective, Just one major problem! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 10, 2014

"Complera is the only medication I have taken. At first the side effect were horrible terrible headache, bloating and foul smelling gas. Eventually those side effects when away but I did notice that I have been losing fat in certain places. Like my face, stomach and arms. My doctor basically dismissed my concerns but I know my body. I started taking a some protein and working out hoping this will counter act the medication. I like Complera but it's not worth a change in my appearance."

Red_rising (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2014

"Switched from Atripla to Complera hoping for a better health and a relief on neurosystem damages that it causes. The food intake and horrible bloating was the first side effects of it, they got milder as for the 2nd week. By the 8th week my face started changing rapidly, my cheeks got sunken and I developed fatty breasts; my doc denied the fact that my face was changing. I switched doctors and I went back on Atripla, the neuropathy and the neuro side effects went back;my face regain my cheeks at least a 90% of it, my chest looks normal again."

looking4cure77 June 11, 2014

"I got the pills a wk ago and was terriffied to start them after reading side effects. I've been on them for 2 days now, been positive 25 yrs come august. I am experiencing lightheadedness, mild headaches, dizziness, some nausea. I'm assuming its because I'm very petite. A lot of medicines are strong for me. Praying it will get better. By all ur comments, have to say, i"m much calmer about it all."

PrettyRican57 April 30, 2014

"I'm new to all this HIV talk about viral loads and CD4 counts. What I do know is my doctor told me I was right there at basically having AIDS. When I got my first blood work. He immediately prescribed me Complera and 30 days later I was undetectable. Now its been 6 months and I'm still undetectable and I've had minimum side effect besides some weight gain. Once a day I have a small meal and I'm good to go. Saved my life."

dbp (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2014