User Reviews for Complera

Learn more about Complera.

Complera review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of HIV Infection.

Reviews for Complera to treat HIV Infection

Review by dbp (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm new to all this HIV talk about viral loads and CD4 counts. What I do know is my doctor told me I was right there at basically having AIDS. When I got my first blood work. He immediately prescribed me Complera and 30 days later I was undetectable. Now its been 6 months and I'm still undetectable and I've had minimum side effect besides some weight gain. Once a day I have a small meal and I'm good to go. Saved my life.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 16, 2014 1:25 AM
Review by Mamush22 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I start taking Complera one month ago. My virus was 1142 in my blood and my T cells was 430 units. At the first week of taking Complera I had side effect but not serious like - diarrhea, I could not sleep good, I feel dizzy, headache, I lost appetite. And the most important I make a lot of gas but after a month I visit my doctor to check if the Complera is working to me and the result was amazing. The doctor explain to me that the virus in my body in now under 12 (undetectable) and the T cells are up to 660. I'm taking Complera everyday between 8 to 10 pm, after dinner.

December 4, 2013 4:55 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started taking this medicine within 72 of possible infection as a condom broke during sex and I totally freaked out as the other guy was positive .. and no side effects at all .. It's only been 2 days and I'm glad that this medication is helping a lot of people who are positive with the ease of the med

October 30, 2013 12:40 AM
Review by trustgavemeHIV (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Here is the update. I had my first lab on Sept 1 and my viral load went from 44,000 to 380. My CD4 results didn't come yet. I will keep you guys updated.

September 13, 2013 11:38 PM
Review by legoli (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I started taking Complera before it was even on the market during its Phase III clinical trials. I've been on the Edurant/Truvada combination for more than 5 years now with very minimal side effects. The medication is extremely effective in quickly getting your viral load to undetectable levels. My only concern with this medication is that it has caused consistent mild to moderate abdominal pains. Mostly bloating but sometimes diarrhea and nausea.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 9, 2013 5:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm just updating you on my Complera side effects. I posted my thoughts on Complera on August 3rd, which was only 3 days on Complera. Now its been 30 days and I'm happy to let you all know I have ZERO side effects. I feel like the same old me, I do everything I did before. I take my dose between 10am to 11am every morning. I'm having my first lab on September 1st.

August 30, 2013 3:16 PM
Review by trustgavemeHIV (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Only side effects I've had is gas, stomach craps, diarrhea but only go to the bathroom once or twice a day. I was diagnosed on June 5 2013 and my viral load was 89,000 and my CD4 258. On July 30 2013 I decided to get checked before starting treatment. My viral load went down on its own to 44,000 and my CD4 down to 248. I was prescribed COMPLERA on August 1st 2013 and I've been on it for 3 days. My first lab since Complera is Sept 1 so I will keep you updated.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 3, 2013 12:42 PM
Review by Bubba Bear: User Rating:

I started Complera as my first medicine about four months ago. After first labs were complete my CD4's went up and my viral load went down as expected. In this same time an ear infection that I had been battling for a number of years went away. I am also pleasantly surprised that my energy level has increased during this time as well. The only side effect that I have noticed is some almost unbelievable foul, almost constant gas. But, the gas is something I can live with and after showing my partner that it was a side effect so can he. Haha

July 26, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Dog12345:

I'm a 70 year old woman - HIV detected one month ago. Viral load 38,000, CD4 21. Outward health condition asymptomatic so far. Have been on Complera to 12 days, I take it the same time everyday at 1800hr with a big meal. In the past I very seldom got sick from colds, Flu etc. May be every 5 years got a cold or Flu. Been athletic since 16 year till present. Blood test due in 3 weeks to see what's Viral and CD4 are. I don't feel any adverse reaction to the medicine presently. I'll post the test results on this site I when received them. Hopefully it will educate people with this condition.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 30, 2013 9:50 PM
Review by Knar: User Rating:

As an alternative to Atripla, this medicine is a God send! Compared to Atripla this medicine lowers your viral load very fast! But doesn't cause nearly any symptoms at all. Its easy to take once a day. I know that if the manufacturer can create this a cure or remission medicine is very close. And also watch out for constipation. If you get it just supplement with some Florastor and you're good.

May 11, 2013 6:17 PM
Review by JaimeMpos: User Rating:

I was put on Complera when my viral load hit 0. I have been on it 5 months. I get my labs done next week. I previously had been on 8 pills a day which caused awful nightmares. I was diagnosed HIV positive when I was 8 months pregnant, which was devastating, but miraculously within that short time until I delivered my baby my viral load went from 264 to 62. My daughter is HIV free. I guess the only downfall to Complera is taking with 400 calories. Time will tell. I also experience pain at times and insomnia.

March 11, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Long Term User (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I've been on Complera over a year now which at over $6000 a month equates to $72,000. There are some rage issues related to the medicine, as well as some insomnia issues and general mental health issues. My labs are great which is an upside. I'm an LTS of this disease having dealt with HIV into AIDS for 20 years now and been on about every HIV med in existence -- I come with a wealth of life experience.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by Lamar_poz:2nd review (taken for 1 to 6 months):

OK. I'm back with my results. I'm very pleased. I started taking Complera on November 13, 2012. I've never missed a dose and I've kept a medicine log in a note book to make sure I date, time and initial after I take the pill. My blood was drawn on January 11, 2013--I just got the results yesterday. My viral load was undetectable and my T-Cell count was 772. Wow. When I was diagnosed with HIV, my T-Cell count was 533 and then it dropped to 381 when I was trying to decide if I wanted to be on medication. In only 2 months, my T-cell count basically double or tripled. I look forward to seeing how Complera does my HIV in future months.

February 16, 2013 9:58 AM
Review by San Diego Man (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

From day 1 of using Complera have had only one side effect and that was an increased metabolic rate for the first month. Clearly Complera was fighting HIV in that month. In the first week of taking Complera I could feel it working and I felt amazing. Having been on Complera now for over 4 months I forget I am HIV positive as I feel totally normal with this medicine.

January 29, 2013 12:33 PM
Review by heye (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started treatment two months ago with a viral load of 38000 and T-Cell of 259. Today I got my lab results and my T-cell was 419 and viral load was 120 and I haven't had any negative effects since my start of treatment.

November 28, 2012 11:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Complera for about a month now and I got to get my labs in one more month. So far I have not had any side effects and it has been great. My viral load was 4000 and my CD4 was 782 when I started and I can't wait to see what Complera has really done for me when I get my labs.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2012 5:48 PM
Review by miamimember (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Its only been a week since starting but so far I have absolutely no side effects. The first 2 nights I had weird dreams, but now I'm back to normal.

November 24, 2012 11:41 AM
Review by Lamar_poz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Today was my 6th day taking Complera. I've been taking it between 7:30 and 8:30 every morning. I don't notice any side effects at all. The only thing I hate is that I have a cough. It doesn't matter if I drink it with juice and chocolate chip cookies or not--I will still taste it. From reading all the previous reviews, I can't wait to get my labs done in January. Today I felt a little sharp pain in my left arm. I'm not sure if it was from the medicine or from being crunched in a chair on my laptop. I'm definitely going to get that bone test done since I heard it can thin your bones.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 18, 2012 9:57 PM
Review by heye (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I recently just got diagnosed about a month two weeks ago. My viral load was 38000 and CD count was 259 and I started treatment about three weeks ago and so far I haven't had any negative side effects and am really hoping it stays like the same.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 8, 2012 7:49 PM
Review by Texas Guy: User Rating:

I started Complera two weeks ago. My viral load was 35000 and my CD4 count was 750 prior to starting it as my first treatment. I am currently experiencing some side effects for almost 10 days. The most important one is the bloating. I have to pass gas (with bad smell) sometimes a few times an hour. I also feel a little nauseous specially after main meals. I have stomach pain and lack of appetite. A very minor and short headaches some times plus palpitation. I don't know if palpitation is because of stress or not. I will give an update a few months from now but I hope most of these will get better in a few weeks.

August 24, 2012 10:44 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I had an extremely high viral load and was forced to initially take a different medication to get this number under control (if over 100,000 you are not supposed to take Complera). This initial once-a-day medication made my life hell for the side-effects were a nightmare, but it did its job. Once I was under 100,000 I switched over to Complera and have had NO SIDE EFFECTS! And most importantly, my viral load has remained undetectable while my CD4 count has increased and my immune system has definitely gotten stronger. Obviously, since this medicine was just approved by the FDA the long term side effects are still unknown, but compared to the hell I was going through and how wonderful things have gotten I am willing to take my chances.

July 24, 2012 10:03 AM
Review by 2008diagnoses (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was scared to start regimen about all the horror stories of HIV medication side effects. I have been on Complera for two weeks and have NO side effects. I was experiencing oral problems before that was due to HIV infection. I can't wait to get my labs back after starting regimen. I feel so much better.

July 3, 2012 11:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was put on Complera as a study patient prior to Complera being approved. I went on the drug just before it was approved by the FDA last year. All I can say is that Complera is a MIRACLE. I have had ZERO side effects! I can only say how blessed I feel to have been given the opportunity to participate in the study. I have been on Complera over a year now can second what other reviewers have said. This medication has allowed HIV not to affect my life. I was completely undetectable in two months after starting the medicine, and my CD4 and CD4% have steadily gone up. I can only say to Gilead, THANK YOU!

July 1, 2012 12:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

It has been wonderful to come from 5 pills twice daily to one pill a day. The only problem I have with it is constipation. I have always been regular and 2 days after I started taking it I noticed a change in my bowel habits. It's a minor problem so I am dealing with it. I have only been on it for 2 months so I haven't had my blood work done. I have always had undetectable viral load and 800 CD4. I hope nothing changes because I like this medicine.

May 27, 2012 9:16 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Have been on it a week but so far, no side effects, no weird dreams, no loss of appetite or dizziness or sleepiness. Too early to report effects on viral load but mine was low to start with and a high CD4. So maybe a great alternative to ATRIPLA.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 20, 2012 11:21 AM

Learn more about HIV Infection

More about Complera (emtricitabine / rilpivirine / tenofovir)

Professional resources