User Reviews for Duloxetine

Also known as: Cymbalta, Irenka

Learn more about Duloxetine.

Duloxetine Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Duloxetine to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Excellent results with Cymbalta on 30mg once each night. Burning pain reduced some 80%. Does generate dreams, but not uncomfortable dreams. This is the first medicine that helped. Side effects too great with Neurontin; felt little to no effect with Lyrica."

Potomac March 10, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was originally put on Cymbalta for depression, I was told to take it during the day which I did. When I took the Cymbalta during the day it made me incredibly sleepy to the point I could NOT stay awake so I discontinued it's use. Fast forward a few years and I started experiencing HORRIBLE Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Doctor put me on Cymbalta to try and treat the pain. This time I took it before bed. I didn't notice any sleepiness during the day, and my nerve pain got better, and eventually was completely gone. After a year of use and almost no pain at all, I started having some "break through pain". Even though I am having "break through pain" after a year, the Cymbalta still makes life 100x better and I and grateful to have it!"

jesssikarmaa February 10, 2015

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Can't live without it"

Momma 1234 July 7, 2014

"Causes erectile dysfunction, and raises blood sugar x 2 times.."

JosephRu (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it."

RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2014

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I’m a Type 1 Diabetic for 39 years. Had VERY painful muscle spasms/seizing and twitching. I tried various supplements which "should" have helped but no improvement. I started Neurontin at 1,800mg/day and I had terrible swelling plus gained 18 lbs in 6 months (and my eating habits actually got better while on it). The 1,800mg of Neurontin no longer controlled the muscle spasms. I started Cymbalta, 30 mg before bed, and had significant reduction in pain the first morning. I did notice a very strong headache that first day. I had only 3-4 muscle spasms that first day as well....Wow!! Second day...almost NO pain in the morning and only a dull headache with much weaker muscle spasms. Side effects: Crazy dreams, difficulty sleeping, headache."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2013

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was not sure how well it worked at first. Then I was unable to get it for awhile, and was in a lot of pain, trouble getting through the day. I just wanted to sleep. Once back in my system I noticed the difference. This helps my depression, back pain, and the neuropathy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Did not work for me. I had nausea, abdominal & stomach pain, loss of appetite. I lost 5 lbs. in less than a week."

Anonymous August 12, 2012

"I have severe Diabetic Neuropathy to both feet, and Neurotin seemed rather ineffective. The pain was a combination of burning, needles and pins sensation, and severe knife stabbing sensations intermittently to both feet. I started taking Cymbalta over a year ago, and it has significantly reduced the sensations and pain, making them tolerable. I initially noticed a loss of appetite, which was a blessing in disguise for me, and I lost 25 pounds before the anorexia disappeared. I have several severe disorders which require close monitoring of my blood, but overall, Cymbalta has been a God send to me."

Tonywwk1 March 23, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I started on 30mg Cymbalta daily with a little foot pain improvement - as this was still not enough my doctor put me on 60mg daily. I am so happy and relieved to be able to actually "walk" again and function like a normal person. I was crawling to the bathroom at night before for 8 months I was in pure agony. I have been on Cymbalta for 5 weeks and so far great results! Thank you Eli Lilly and my doctor."

Sewanhaka100 February 18, 2012

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta lessens the burning pain in my feet that used to wake me up and keep me awake at night. It often relieves burning pain almost completely."

Anonymous September 6, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was very unsteady on my feet, at first some of the pain was resolved, but it didn't work. Even though my feet were NOT swollen they felt that way, very tight feeling. It felt like I was walking on balloons, terrible feeling and I was afraid to walk with that unsteadiness. Didn't work for me, since then, I have been on many different medications. Neurontin, didn't help, amitriptiline, didn't help, Lyrica, didn't help. I am on nortriptyline now with a pain patch. The fentanyl patch really helps, but I don't want to stay on this forever, so trying different medications. I am only supposed to leave the pain patch on 3 days, and found with the new medication, nortriptyline, I can go 5 days. So I am hopeful here. "

kathygirl August 6, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I have peripheral neuropathy and very bad pain in my back. Cymbalta made a huge improvement in my pain level. The doctor started me gradually to lessen the nausea. I have worked up to 30 mg. twice a day for a total of 60 mg. I have been taking it for 3 months and still find the pain level, and my frame of mind, much improved. I do have slight nausea occasionally, and dry mouth. The excessive sweating has gone away."

Anonymous February 1, 2010

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta was the first drug that actually improved the diabetic neuropathy pain I was experiencing in my legs, feet, arms and hands. For the first time, I was able to sleep through the night without waking in tears from the pain. I was so happy my doctor put me on this drug in conjunction with Neurontin. The pain almost disappeared! Approximately 6-8 weeks later, I noticed that the neuropathy pain started back up again despite continuing on the medicines. I too, had insomnia making it difficult, at best, to be alert, focused or have any energy the following day. To this day, I still have some insomnia and an increase in the neuropathy symptoms; BUT Cymbalta 60mg & Neurontin 600mg are the BEST drugs so far in lessening the pain."

Jo.Nigle October 27, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "It was like a wonder drug at first. Then, even though I went up to the maximum dose of 60 mg, I can no longer tell I am even taking it. I stop it - then start it back up - still no help. It's just no good anymore."

TerryinAlaska October 20, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I was only able to take this for about 3 days. It made me so unsteady on my feet that falling was a great threat. I also spoke, looked and felt like a "drunken sailor". Totally uncoordinated and 'out of it'. It did nothing for my neuropathy."

Tomasue123AOL.com September 4, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "I've tried many, many different medicines for my nerve pain. Finally after being put on Cymbalta for my depression, I noticed that my nerve pain was not near as bad as it was before. I'm overwhelmed with my results. Almost to tears, of joy, instead of tears of pain! Thank you!"

KimberDawn38 July 25, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Works great on my nerve pains, due to diabetes."

HAPPYKAT June 26, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta worked for my neuropathy for about 6 weeks then suddenly stopped working. I was very sad that is stopped. I did experience very bad insomnia but other than that I didn't have any major side effects."

Anonymous June 11, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Debilitating side effects after only 2 hours with only one 60mg pill. Extreme sweating, fatigue, difficulty swallowing and walking. Next came the nausea and intense insomnia. Had to call in sick to work the next day due to lack of sleep and weakness. Didn't get out of bed until 3 pm."

Anonymous June 9, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Cymbalta has been a lifesaver for my Diabetic Neuropathy. In just a few days the pain and discomfort went away. The only problem I am facing with Cymbalta is insomnia even in combination with Xanax 4mg and Vistaril 150mg."

hemaro April 6, 2009

Cymbalta (duloxetine): "Caused me to have serotonin syndrome."

Anonymous February 25, 2009