User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 28 reviews 6 medications

6.1
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 638 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by CinNic:

For Fibromyalgia: I have taken several depression medicines over the last six years. All with limited results. My entire body started hurting so bad, fatigue, headaches and broken sleep at night. I begged my doctor trying me on Cymbalta because it helped a friend with similar symptoms. My pain was almost gone in a week and completely gone in two. I never realized how bad my pain was until it was gone! I take it at night because I get very sleepy within a few hours. I sleep great and wake up pain free and fully rested. It has helped my depression but not to the extent it has taken away all my pain. I did feel slightly nauseous on and off for a few weeks. My appetite has diminished which has helped me lose 10 pounds.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2013 12:08 AM

Review by Cricket's mom:

For Osteoarthritis: After a back injury and subsequent surgery I tried several medicines for the lingering nerve pain in my left leg. Nothing worked without severe side effects until trying Cymbalta. The first couple of weeks the nausea was almost unbearable but I toughed it out hoping for some relief of the aching in my left leg. Pain pills had zero effect on the radiating pain so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta. It did take a couple of weeks to see any relief to my pain. Although the pain is not totally gone it has gone from a 10 down to a 7 so for me this is a great improvement.

March 19, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Back Pain: I started taking Cymbalta for chronic low back pain and to my surprise my daily nightmares stopped immediately after the first dose of 40mg. I just started this medicine a month ago and need to get my script filled. I took my last dose 2 days ago. For the last two nights I have had nightmares! My script is expensive, costing $60/month even with insurance. If this medicine continues to prevent these constant nightmares and gives my boyfriend a decent night sleep, myself included, then I will figure out a way to pay this added expense. I am 30 yrs old and have dealt with nightmares since I was a child. They have gotten worse as I get older. I have been to sleep disorder clinics and had plenty of tests. I can only hope this medicine continues to help me.

March 18, 2013 2:58 AM

Review by old nurse:

For Osteoarthritis: First two weeks had good relief. It decreased after that.

March 16, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by NativeWoman:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was prescribed Cymbalta after taking Zoloft for a few months. Zoloft was horrible but when my prescription was changed to Cymbalta, my anxiety and everything else seemed to lessen. I was more calm in handling situations and my husband seemed pleased with the change in my attitude. For the first week while on Cymbalta, the experience was horrible. I had all the side effects listed and more but I was determined to stay on it. It only lasted a week then things became more clear. The only thing I FEAR is the withdrawals. I've experienced it accidentally when the medication wasn't available to me.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2013 11:42 AM

Review by Gintech (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Chronic Pain: I can't take NSAIDS anymore, so tried Cymbalta. Worked great for my pain and my depression. HOWEVER, I had to stop it because of horrible side effects. The worst headaches I have ever had, dizziness, and eventually mood changes. I took it for about 7 months total, the last 2 months was tapering off. My Doctor had a patient end up hospitalized when they rushed the taper.

March 14, 2013 12:19 AM

Review by Mafixit (taken for less than 1 month):

Prescribed Cymbalta for migraines. Been on 18 days. Started at 20 mg, last 5 days at 40 mg. Past week has been daily diarrhea. I am tired, still have headaches, I am constantly nauseated, have no appetite and my anxiety level has increased. They tell me to hold on, this will pass. It does not feel like it is going to help at all, and my insurance company really gave me a hard time covering this.

March 12, 2013 1:10 PM

Review by billybobyall:

For Back Pain: I started with 30mg dosage and was increased to 60mg daily. It was helpful with the constant burning in my feet that is secondary to peripheral neuropathy. My dosage was increased after a couple of months to 60mg twice daily. I didn't last a week! This medication has always given me increased sweating, especially night sweats! My doctor prescribed Hytrin (mostly used for hypertension and benign prostate hyperplasia) to combat the sweating and it seemed to help because the incidents of night sweats decreased. That all changed when my dosage was bumped up. I was having night sweats EVERY night and had a major increase of insomnia. I am getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night (or day because I work at night). I went back to 60mg daily and see my doctor tomorrow.

March 12, 2013 7:59 AM

Review by davinci queen (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I started taking Cymbalta approx. 4 weeks ago. Its a miracle far as I'm concerned. I have low back pain, fibromyalgia and increasing anxiety disorder. Within 4 days I felt immediate relief from pain all over. I haven't felt this good in years. I am also on Lyrica and am going to see if I can lower my dose or even discontinue it and see if I'm still pain free. My anxiety is starting to lessen now as well. I don't have many side effects, mostly more tired so I will take it at night. Definitely try it. It's worth it!

March 11, 2013 10:12 AM

Review by CandiceL:

For Depression: I LOVE Cymbalta. I'm taking it for anxiety, depression and fibromyalgia pain. It is the best medication I have taken for depression. I have tried numerous other depression and anxiety medications and nothing makes me feel as good as Cymbalta. Do not miss a dose though the withdrawal symptoms are terrible!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2013 10:27 PM

Review by eileenvote (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I took this for 5 years at 90mg. I eventually had to go off this medication because the side effects were intolerable. I had night terrors every night, severe night sweats, teeth grinding and insomnia. The thing that finally did it for me was the migraines that were caused by my shoulder and neck tension on this medication. In short, it made me feel extremely anxious and stressed out. Also, withdrawal is very tough. I have been off this medicine for 3 weeks and still have severe nausea, anxiety, night sweats and night terrors.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2013 7:37 AM

Review by Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I didn't mind this medicine. I did experience nausea for the first month as which was confirmed by the side effects of this. One thing I have to say is that I became lactose intolerant while on this and it didn't matter what I ate or drank that contained lactose the symptoms for the lactose intolerance were not good. As soon as I went off the medicine I no longer had lactose intolerance.

February 28, 2013 5:51 PM

Review by Salcea124 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for over 3 years. When I started taking it I was working and it was making me sleepy, so doctor said to take it at night; problem solved. During the years I have had 3 surgeries and I have to stop taking it and I had no side effect or withdrawal symptoms. It helps with my fibromyalgia, mild depression, and pain. My insurance co-pay is $35, but during the donut-hole is is very expensive.

February 24, 2013 12:34 PM

Review by NothingElseWorked (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I've tried them all, this was the only one that lifted me.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2013 1:05 AM

Review by nushie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: After taking Effexor for years, my doc switched me to Cymbalta. That was 3 years ago no effect for pain management.

February 17, 2013 12:40 PM

Review by prplhaze (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This little pill caused me to have worsening suicidal thoughts. I was on edge and crying daily. This was only being on it for 3 weeks. I do have to say it did help with fibro pain but made depression unbearable.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Chronic Pain: Neuropathy, still require some narcotic for breakthrough pain but only a couple times per week. Works well.

February 12, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by Anonymoussssssss:

For Anxiety: I've been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now. I never had major side effects to begin with but the last 3 months I've been experiencing nightmares or crazy dreams, I'm tired a lot, I sweat at night, I feel as if I'm in one mood and the only major emotion I get is anger. It's hard to laugh at things that I used to and I can't cry anymore. Sometimes I just want to feel frustrated when I know I should, and sad, but I feel stuck and emotionless. I don't think Cymbalta has helped me. I think the only progress I've made with my anxiety, OCD, and depression has been on my own.

February 10, 2013 7:08 PM

Review by mason0420 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This is my 2nd week on Cymbalta. 1st week 30mg this week 60mg. I feel weak, restless,spacy and hopeful. I have been on many different antidepressant's and things are always great then they turn on me and no longer work. So as I read some of these reviews, I have decided to continue to take and hopefully the miracle will happen to me.

February 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by Catmyst (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Cymbalta works but hard when you have to get off it. My insurance will no longer pay for it. It was already expensive enough with insurance. Even though I am being weaned off it with my doctor on board, it ain't pretty. I am having major brain zaps, anxiety. Two more weeks of the weaning off period then my doc is starting me on Effexor. She says its the closest to Cymbalta. We will see.

February 1, 2013 10:18 AM

Review by Chrissyjels (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for just under 2 weeks. After the first 3 days I started feeling a lot better. It was slightly scary actually to go from feeling like your world is imploding to feeling like you want to smell and see every flower on the planet. It happened so fast. Yes there were a lot of initial side effects from getting used to the medicine. I had the shakes, weird slowing down, odd feelings, nausea, etc. but I am doing very well on it. I went on diet again having gained 25kg from being in Lexapro and Seroquel for over a 18 months. But I now have a low dose of Seroquel every night and Cymbalta every morning and I am back to feeling great.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I’m a Type 1 Diabetic for 39 years. Had VERY painful muscle spasms/seizing and twitching. I tried various supplements which "should" have helped but no improvement. I started Neurontin at 1,800mg/day and I had terrible swelling plus gained 18 lbs in 6 months (and my eating habits actually got better while on it). The 1,800mg of Neurontin no longer controlled the muscle spasms. I started Cymbalta, 30 mg before bed, and had significant reduction in pain the first morning. I did notice a very strong headache that first day. I had only 3-4 muscle spasms that first day as well....Wow!! Second day...almost NO pain in the morning and only a dull headache with much weaker muscle spasms. Side effects: Crazy dreams, difficulty sleeping, headache.

January 25, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by rubatosis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I just started Cymbalta. I feel really optimistic on finally finding an anti-dpressant/pain reliever. I have been diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia. I have had severe pain with these diagnoses. I also have severe depression and anxiety disorder. I havent taken it long enough to be sure that it will work, but so far it has made me feel a lot better. I have been reading posts about Cymbalta working but its so expensive. My doctor told me that if you go to the website for Cymbalta, there is a coupon for a 30 day free trial. Just wanted to share that for those struggling to afford it if it is working for you. Even 30 days free will help, so I just wanted to share that tip for you guys. Keep pushing through! Everything is temporary!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by jeffrey of DE (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: Hardly could walk for 3 years. Been on it for 10 days walking with a lot less pain. Not sure if this medicine did it or higher power but loving life again. I say give a try.

January 23, 2013 4:48 PM

Review by guigomamma (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: So far this medicine has been working great for me. Not only for my mild depression but also for my joint pain. I was not aware it was used for this however, told my physician that I was experiencing less joint and muscle pain. This is when he informed me Cymbalta was also used for pain. I cannot afford $50.00 a month. I will have to go back to my other medicine, which is less effective for joint pain but the same for depression.

January 21, 2013 7:54 AM