User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 38 reviews 7 medications

Chronic Pain 44 reviews 106 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 733 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Depression "I started taking Cymbalta and I noticed a difference immediately! I felt more relaxed and happy in general. I take Lamictal for Bi-Polar disorder and after finding that medicine alone not being enough, my dr prescribed Cymbalta. I've been in a pleasant mood with my family, friends and at work. Not stressing out about leaving the house or having a busy schedule and getting anxiety about it. It has also helped with my lower back pain I have been dealing with the last 3yrs. It's only been 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is, I seem to yawn a lot and have less of an appetite. If it messes with my sex drive and lowers it... I'm off it."

dani197701 February 18, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I was previously on Lexapro, but it made me tired and unmotivated. I switched to Cymbalta one week ago and it's already working! I'm only on 30 mg but my doc may want me on a higher dose depending on how I feel after a couple weeks."

liberty69 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects."

Longboard February 8, 2014

For Anxiety "The medication helps but if I take too much at once or not at the right time thing dont feel right other wise It has greatly helped my mood"

huntergirl214 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Almost 2 months on just 20 mg pain mgmt narcotics for chronic pain, many procedures little help, also CPTSD, GAD, pos. bipolar, depression. MY BACK PAIN AND SCIATIC GONE after 5 days on a low dose. Reserving judgement on the rest. Increase dose to 60 mg. I expect to get a hint in the next week. May have overactive mind/severe difficulty sleeping tho. Higher dose may help. But the pain relief - wouldn't have believed it if someone told me. So have to weigh pain vs insomnia or other side effect I might get. Good luck with this medicine! Insanely expensive and I know from girlfriends experience withdrawal can be bad."

suzisavage2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2014

For Fibromyalgia "This medication has worked wonders for me. However, I also have additional medications that work along with this in order to provide me relief. But when I have run out of this medication, I am certainly aware, it is great for my nerve pain and my Depression that accompanies my Fibromyalgia. "

vcnacona (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2014

For Fibromyalgia "One of the biggest draw backs to this medication is the cost. My insurance pays 80% and I end up paying 35/ month. I have had some improvements to my pain and sleep and while I am thankful for any gains the lack of a generic makes for a barrier. I am not seeing the improvements I would have liked for the cost. & Oh and a caution it interacts with a lot of other medications used to treat fibromyalgia so consult your pharmacist before taking. I regularly end up skirting the fine line of seratonin syndrome with the cocktail I am taking for my fibromyalgia with no depression."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2014

For Depression "Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal."

SAD James January 20, 2014

For Chronic Pain "Did not help."

klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2014

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it."

RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2014

For Depression "I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!"

Steph7145 December 24, 2013

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax. "

N-git December 5, 2013

For Anxiety "Cymbalta worked somewhat on my obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression better than other medicines. However, I felt like I couldn't do much. I had zero energy even though I took my dose (60mgs) at night. It became too tiring to even make myself something to eat. I did not want to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the energy. At higher doses (90 mgs), I had stomach upset and pains if I did not take my dose with food. I would also have diarrhea/loose stools at the higher dose. Sexual side effects were decreased interest and desire in sex. Could be attributed to just not having the energy to enjoy it. It did help with my OCD and lowered my anxiety but did not help my depression."

OCD/Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "Took Cymbalta for close to a year for Fibro symptoms. For the first couple months it seemed to be helping, and then it stopped. I had worsening sleep difficulty, violent mood swings, and a variety of other side effects. Even with all the Fibro symptoms, I feel better off the med than I ever felt on it. It was also expensive."

MaidenDarkness November 13, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "I found Cymbalta to be a miracle for me. Within a week of taking it most of my aches and pains disappeared and even my massage therapist stated she noticed a big difference. The problem was the side effects of sexual dysfunction and dry mouth. I added Wellbutrin and love that medication as it greatly improved my mood, but still did not help with the sexual dysfunction. I am now on Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin but the pains in my joints worsened unbelievably, intolerable really. I think I will be dropping the Lamotrigine and going back to the Cymbalta, and just put up with the side effects."

D.A.P. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2013

For Depression "I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more."

JMsr November 5, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again."

Anon5002 October 29, 2013

For Chronic Pain "My rheumatologist had me on a very high dosage, so much that I had to pay for two seperate scripts at the pharmacy. I guess so many people do have a positive response to this med, my doctor thought increasing the med mg would result in symptom improvement, however that wasn't the case. I hated (that's a strong word for me) Cymbalta. I was told I acted like another person while on it and not in a good way. Even though I strictly followed my pharmacist and doctors directions when tapering off if this med, I still had severe withdrawal during and after reducing the mg. I even called the doctor and pharmacy because I was so concerned; I all but went to the emergency room in the beginning stages since I had never had withdrawal symptoms before."

rustyspur (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Changed from effexor to Cymbalta for secondary reasons other than its intended use and it works wonders."

richirfirefly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2013

For Depression "Taking it for both fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder. Works great for me!! I no longer have insurance so I get it thru the drug company."

smonroe October 27, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)"

Aussie mumma October 22, 2013

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking different medicines for depression for the last 20 years. I have tried almost everything and Wellbutrin is the only thing that has even helped me. I have noticed only a very minor improvement but it is better than no improvement. I was advised to take Cymbalta with it. Even with my insurance, it still costs me $50 a month! I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable change. I can't afford to waste money on something that may or may not work. I figured for that much money, this drug should be very good. At least the Wellbutrin only costs me $10 a month and I do get some noticeable help from it."

Willy G October 21, 2013

For Fibromyalgia "During my mid 40's, I began experiencing excruciating neck pain. I had cervical fusion for a ruptured cervical disk. After the surgery, I have had extreme chronic fatigue, bone pain, overall body pain, and paralysis of one vocal cord. I tried numerous pain medications which had absolutely no effect on my pain. Ultimately, the combination of medications that helped were a low dosage of methadone, Prozac, and Provigil (for narcolepsy). Recently my doctor changed by Prozac to Cymbalta. My pain is now almost gone! (I am still taking methadone, but maybe it will no longer be necessary. (I changed to Nuvigil for extreme daytime sleepiness.) No side effects from Cymbalta except for slight nausea during the first week of use."

the best yet October 20, 2013

For Chronic Pain "Felt only side effects. Extremely tired, erectile dysfunction, dry mouth, headache, dizziness, cold sweats."

emgem (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2013

For Depression "I don't feel like this made too much of a difference and was prescribed to replace Zoloft which I believe was better but made me gain a lot of weight. Getting off of Cymbalta was very hard, although I followed my doctors instructions and decreased very gradually, by the end I had to start taking motion sickness pills due to the dizziness and nausea I experienced from the withdrawals. I also experienced headaches and felt like my eyes would cross every time I took a step. Getting onto it was super easy, I went from 60mg-120mg pretty quickly, and I lowered it from 120-90-60-30 over the course of about 2 months and still dealt with these withdrawal effects. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2013