User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 26 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 626 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Salcea124 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for over 3 years. When I started taking it I was working and it was making me sleepy, so doctor said to take it at night; problem solved. During the years I have had 3 surgeries and I have to stop taking it and I had no side effect or withdrawal symptoms. It helps with my fibromyalgia, mild depression, and pain. My insurance co-pay is $35, but during the donut-hole is is very expensive.

February 24, 2013 12:34 PM

Review by NothingElseWorked (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I've tried them all, this was the only one that lifted me.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2013 1:05 AM

Review by nushie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: After taking Effexor for years, my doc switched me to Cymbalta. That was 3 years ago no effect for pain management.

February 17, 2013 12:40 PM

Review by prplhaze (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This little pill caused me to have worsening suicidal thoughts. I was on edge and crying daily. This was only being on it for 3 weeks. I do have to say it did help with fibro pain but made depression unbearable.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Chronic Pain: Neuropathy, still require some narcotic for breakthrough pain but only a couple times per week. Works well.

February 12, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by Anonymoussssssss:

For Anxiety: I've been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now. I never had major side effects to begin with but the last 3 months I've been experiencing nightmares or crazy dreams, I'm tired a lot, I sweat at night, I feel as if I'm in one mood and the only major emotion I get is anger. It's hard to laugh at things that I used to and I can't cry anymore. Sometimes I just want to feel frustrated when I know I should, and sad, but I feel stuck and emotionless. I don't think Cymbalta has helped me. I think the only progress I've made with my anxiety, OCD, and depression has been on my own.

February 10, 2013 7:08 PM

Review by mason0420 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This is my 2nd week on Cymbalta. 1st week 30mg this week 60mg. I feel weak, restless,spacy and hopeful. I have been on many different antidepressant's and things are always great then they turn on me and no longer work. So as I read some of these reviews, I have decided to continue to take and hopefully the miracle will happen to me.

February 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by Catmyst (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Cymbalta works but hard when you have to get off it. My insurance will no longer pay for it. It was already expensive enough with insurance. Even though I am being weaned off it with my doctor on board, it ain't pretty. I am having major brain zaps, anxiety. Two more weeks of the weaning off period then my doc is starting me on Effexor. She says its the closest to Cymbalta. We will see.

February 1, 2013 10:18 AM

Review by Chrissyjels (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for just under 2 weeks. After the first 3 days I started feeling a lot better. It was slightly scary actually to go from feeling like your world is imploding to feeling like you want to smell and see every flower on the planet. It happened so fast. Yes there were a lot of initial side effects from getting used to the medicine. I had the shakes, weird slowing down, odd feelings, nausea, etc. but I am doing very well on it. I went on diet again having gained 25kg from being in Lexapro and Seroquel for over a 18 months. But I now have a low dose of Seroquel every night and Cymbalta every morning and I am back to feeling great.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I’m a Type 1 Diabetic for 39 years. Had VERY painful muscle spasms/seizing and twitching. I tried various supplements which "should" have helped but no improvement. I started Neurontin at 1,800mg/day and I had terrible swelling plus gained 18 lbs in 6 months (and my eating habits actually got better while on it). The 1,800mg of Neurontin no longer controlled the muscle spasms. I started Cymbalta, 30 mg before bed, and had significant reduction in pain the first morning. I did notice a very strong headache that first day. I had only 3-4 muscle spasms that first day as well....Wow!! Second day...almost NO pain in the morning and only a dull headache with much weaker muscle spasms. Side effects: Crazy dreams, difficulty sleeping, headache.

January 25, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by rubatosis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I just started Cymbalta. I feel really optimistic on finally finding an anti-dpressant/pain reliever. I have been diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia. I have had severe pain with these diagnoses. I also have severe depression and anxiety disorder. I havent taken it long enough to be sure that it will work, but so far it has made me feel a lot better. I have been reading posts about Cymbalta working but its so expensive. My doctor told me that if you go to the website for Cymbalta, there is a coupon for a 30 day free trial. Just wanted to share that for those struggling to afford it if it is working for you. Even 30 days free will help, so I just wanted to share that tip for you guys. Keep pushing through! Everything is temporary!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2013 9:38 PM

Review by jeffrey of DE (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: Hardly could walk for 3 years. Been on it for 10 days walking with a lot less pain. Not sure if this medicine did it or higher power but loving life again. I say give a try.

January 23, 2013 4:48 PM

Review by guigomamma (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: So far this medicine has been working great for me. Not only for my mild depression but also for my joint pain. I was not aware it was used for this however, told my physician that I was experiencing less joint and muscle pain. This is when he informed me Cymbalta was also used for pain. I cannot afford $50.00 a month. I will have to go back to my other medicine, which is less effective for joint pain but the same for depression.

January 21, 2013 7:54 AM

Review by Happy Camper:

For Depression: I've been on Cymbalta 3.5 months for depression and I am very pleased to report that I feel even better now than I did the first 2.5 months. I had some gastro distress, dizziness, brain fogginess, and fatigue. All of my negative thoughts are gone, except near my menstrual cycle, I can laugh and cry again and am much better equipped to handle the stresses of life. I feel like I am finally back to normal. I'm posting for those of you just getting started on this medication. Give this medication some time, the side effects improve every month and it wasn't until I hit the three month mark that I really felt better.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Cindy 54:

For Osteoarthritis: Although I've read it could take up to 4 weeks to see any improvement while taking Cymbalta, I noticed the pain that I usually experience for several hours in the morning has subsided significantly with the first dose. It's been one week and the improvement continues!

January 15, 2013 8:58 AM

Review by Anonymously (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Have suffered depression most of my life. Am now 50 and was prescribed Cymbalta after experiencing a debilitating bout of severe depression about 15 months ago. I was unable to function. I had been taking it for about two and a half years previously and decided to ween off it but after 3 months fell into the deep hole mentioned above. I take 60mg at night and sleep well, I have to watch my weight and I experience constipation. I find it hard to cry (better than the alternative right?) and also feel somewhat lethargic but overall it keeps me feeling 'normal'.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2013 10:59 PM

Review by hollydev:

For Depression: I'm a 21 year old female and have suffered with depression and horrible thoughts for as long as I can remember. I was started on one medicine, (can't remember what it was), then Zoloft, which did not work, and was recently put on Cymbalta about three weeks ago. My depression had gotten so bad that I was willing to try everything. I was having emotional breakdowns at work, having horrible thoughts, bad dreams, and was withdrawn from everything. My depression is a brain imbalance, rather than caused by other things. Only being about two weeks on Cymbalta, I can already notice a difference. I'm more peppy, I don't think bad thoughts nearly as much, much more patience, haven't cried since I've been put on the medicine. I was a little jittery at first.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2013 10:47 PM

Review by Loube:

For Fibromyalgia: This is my 5th day on 20 mg (lowest dose - 1 pill per day) Cymbalta for fibromyalgia. The first 3 days were tough. My pain would subside during the day, but return almost fully at night. I did not sleep for the first three nights on this medicine. I was also very jittery beginning on day 2. By day 4 most of these side effects subsided and I've been pain free for 48 hours now. I was prescribed 5mg of Ambien to help with the sleep issue. I feel great and energetic for the first time in months. I am thrilled that the lowest dose worked for me.

January 12, 2013 10:14 AM

Review by Relieved72 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm writing this review because I'm absolutely shocked by how quickly I began to feel like myself again. After as little as a week I had an easier time getting out of bed in the morning, I physically felt more energetic, and I had more emotional clarity. My husband is even more delighted in the results than I am. He says I'm more like myself. Even with good insurance this medicine can be pricey. Very few side effects. I felt a little jittery the first couple of days and had trouble sleeping. Those went away when I adjusted the time I took the medicine. I'm just thankful to feel some relief!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2013 9:32 PM

Review by razz2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Was on Cymbalta for 2 years. Worked fabulous for anxiety and panic. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with Gastritis so me and my doctor felt it was best to switch to something else because this medicine has been found to cause stomach issues.

January 8, 2013 2:21 PM

Review by bigbabe07 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: I started taking depression medicine when I was 11 years old. I am now 24 and I have been on probably 10 different antidepressants over the years. Nothing has had such a positive effect on me as Cymbalta has. I am truly happy for the first time in a long time. I've been taking Cymbalta for about 8 months now and I feel great. I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, which is one reason why my doctor thought Cymbalta would be best. Cymbalta has also helped some with my aches and pains. I have very little side effects with this medicine. I get nauseous once in a while and am tired a lot, but it's nothing compared to being without Cymbalta. This is by far the best medicine for depression and fibromyalgia.

January 7, 2013 11:22 PM

Review by wildbill43 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Not able to take NSAIDS! Hydrocodone doesn't work except for high doses that make me dizzy. Cymbalta is working good at one pill a day.

January 6, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by uhhhh:

For Depression: First week on Cymbalta and I can report that it is certainly effective. I have severe recurrent depression with some psychotic symptoms, and have been on Lexapro, Prozac, tried natural supplements etc.... Nothing worked too well. I'm also currently taking Wellbutrin and that helps with energy. Still early on, but I can already tell a decrease in suicidal thoughts, delusional rumination and such. Of course it's not without side effects. Dry mouth, nausea, constipation, emotional liability (random laughing and such), dizziness, orthostatic hypotension (lightheadedness upon standing).

January 5, 2013 11:09 PM

Review by Chollymike (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I have chronic nerve pain and RSD as a result of a failed multi-level cervical fusion. I was on narcotics for 2 - 3 years. I had an implanted pulse generator placed in my low back with the leads running up my spine to the area in my neck affected by the surgery. This enabled me to get off the narcotics, but I still have trouble with the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). About 5 years ago, my doctor put me on Cymbalta. I now take 60mg each morning.There has been a marked difference in my pain level as a result. I have learned to regulate my activity as well to help keep the pain down. I still have moderate bouts of depression. So far, nothing has a lasting effect on that.

January 2, 2013 11:27 PM

Review by JOYCE ANN:

For Fibromyalgia: Cymbalta has made my life almost pain free. I am having hot flashes since I've been on it. Taking it for 1 month.

January 2, 2013 8:26 PM