User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Osteoarthritis

Review by pjs001:

I was prescribed Cymbalta for arthritic pain in my knees. I took 30 mg/day for 3 days and was fatigued to the point of not wanting to do anything but lie down.In addition (to which I found out was a rare side effect) I was yawning all day and evening. After reading about the difficulties that some people had getting off this medicine. I stopped it after the 3 days. Unless I can be somewhat assured that the side effects are temporary I would rather live with the pain then take this medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 4:43 PM

Review by Sierra M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This was great for pain relief for the two months I was taking it. The problems I had far out weighted any benefits. I was suffering from blackouts where I would do things and not remember doing them. The depression, nausea, and headaches were unbearable too. I have been off it for 2 months now and am just starting to feel better. I'll live with the on-average 8 pain.

March 5, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by elaineabc (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was put on Cymbalta approximately 4 yrs ago for depression due to my spouses terminal illness. I was experiencing lower back pain at the same time and subsequently had surgery 2 yrs ago. During this time I tried to go off the medicine but discovered that I do have severe pain from osteoarthritis. Went back on Cymbalta and have almost complete relief from it. I take 60 mgs. at around 1:00 pm. Morning dosage brought diarrhea quickly and this does not cause that.

April 21, 2013 8:26 PM

Review by Cricket's mom:

After a back injury and subsequent surgery I tried several medicines for the lingering nerve pain in my left leg. Nothing worked without severe side effects until trying Cymbalta. The first couple of weeks the nausea was almost unbearable but I toughed it out hoping for some relief of the aching in my left leg. Pain pills had zero effect on the radiating pain so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta. It did take a couple of weeks to see any relief to my pain. Although the pain is not totally gone it has gone from a 10 down to a 7 so for me this is a great improvement.

March 19, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by old nurse:

First two weeks had good relief. It decreased after that.

March 16, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by Cindy 54:

Although I've read it could take up to 4 weeks to see any improvement while taking Cymbalta, I noticed the pain that I usually experience for several hours in the morning has subsided significantly with the first dose. It's been one week and the improvement continues!

January 15, 2013 8:58 AM

Review by BigDaddyTod:

The pain in my knees was way down the following day that I took it. I am on 60mg once a day. The only down side has been the stomach problem. My reflux has gotten a bit worse and the first couple of weeks I had a lot of gas. For me it has taken my knee pain down from a 9 to about a 3.

April 6, 2012 3:21 PM

Review by happychef:

Was taking Cymbalta for depression when my hip arthritis flared up. I had seen the ads about Cymbalta for use in arthritis, but wasn't really taking it for that reason, so I didn't think too much about it. I switched to another depression medicine, after a period of weaning because of the high cost and side effects of Cymbalta. Within 2 weeks my arthritis pain had become intense, almost unbearable. Guess they are right in saying it helps with the pain. It didn't totally remove the pain, but it did keep it under control. Now I am struggling to find something else to help with the pain.

March 19, 2012 10:18 PM

Review by Lifeisbetteragain:

I suddenly developed osteoarthritis of the knee with crippling pain. I was overwhelmed with the pain and the challenges of my mobility. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for the depression I'd developed as a result of ambulatory challenges and within two days, I noticed that my knee pain had subsided. After a few more days, I realized that the connection with the end of my pain and Cymbalta was obvious. I called my doctor and learned that she was very much aware that she would kill two birds with one stone if she prescribed Cymbalta. I've been telling all my friends with chronic pain about the wonderful medication. Yoo-hoo!

January 20, 2012 9:01 PM

Review by auntniknik:

Cymbalta made me very depressed and very nauseated, but my doctor wanted me to give it a month to see if my symptoms got better. Symptoms didn't improve.

August 14, 2011 6:26 PM

Worked good for me with no side affects, if ony my insurance would pay for it.

July 3, 2011 9:41 PM

My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for me as an antidepressant. I am also arthritic and cannot believe how the pain in my joints has improved since I started taking Cymbalta. I had gotten to the point where I had to go to bed by 7 or 8 pm - not because I was sleepy, but because I was in too much pain to move. Now I am easily able to do a few more hours of chores before calling it a day. I am not sure how well it is working as an anti-depressant, but the simple feeling of accomplishment of being an adult able to stay on my feet until "bedtime" is enough to call it a success in my book.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2011 8:36 PM

I had terrible back pain and leg pain. Walking was getting very difficult even for short distances. The effect of Cymbalta was almost amazing. Within a week my pain had diminished to such a degree I felt almost normal. My pain was so bad I used to cry almost every night. I am just hoping this medicine keeps working for me.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2011 4:51 AM