User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 256 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Osteoarthritis

"I suffer with arthritis in hands, knees, elbows, and hips. In 2013 I underwent a total left hip replacement and worked hard in rehab to become active again. However, as time progresses, my joints continue to 'talk' to me loudly. In the mornings, I look like a crone hobbling around until from moving they begin to become fluid. Ridiculous! My doctor put me on Cymbalta back in December of 2014. Wow. What a difference. I did have some struggles on learning when to take it without suffering with nausea, dizziness, etc. For me, morning time seems to be the ticket. Mid day or evening caused stomach and head issues. I am on a lower dose compared to what I have read, but I give this a A+. Within 15 minutes of taking my dose, I am fine."

Hipppie chic March 5, 2015

"Relieve the pain in the joints in my wrists and hands, it was debilitating before my doctor put me on Cymbalta."

Mary Purvis (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2015

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety but I have noticed that my osteoarthritis is so much better. I can get out of bed in the morning without hobbling around trying to get my joints working.I can also get up from my chair at work without pain.I am amazed at how much better I feel. Oh & it takes care of my anxiety as well."

trooperhg October 9, 2014

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for arthritic pain in my knees. I took 30 mg/day for 3 days and was fatigued to the point of not wanting to do anything but lie down.In addition (to which I found out was a rare side effect) I was yawning all day and evening. After reading about the difficulties that some people had getting off this medicine. I stopped it after the 3 days. Unless I can be somewhat assured that the side effects are temporary I would rather live with the pain then take this medicine."

pjs001 August 6, 2014

"This was great for pain relief for the two months I was taking it. The problems I had far out weighted any benefits. I was suffering from blackouts where I would do things and not remember doing them. The depression, nausea, and headaches were unbearable too. I have been off it for 2 months now and am just starting to feel better. I'll live with the on-average 8 pain."

Sierra M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2014

"I was put on Cymbalta approximately 4 yrs ago for depression due to my spouses terminal illness. I was experiencing lower back pain at the same time and subsequently had surgery 2 yrs ago. During this time I tried to go off the medicine but discovered that I do have severe pain from osteoarthritis. Went back on Cymbalta and have almost complete relief from it. I take 60 mgs. at around 1:00 pm. Morning dosage brought diarrhea quickly and this does not cause that."

elaineabc (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2013

"After a back injury and subsequent surgery I tried several medicines for the lingering nerve pain in my left leg. Nothing worked without severe side effects until trying Cymbalta. The first couple of weeks the nausea was almost unbearable but I toughed it out hoping for some relief of the aching in my left leg. Pain pills had zero effect on the radiating pain so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta. It did take a couple of weeks to see any relief to my pain. Although the pain is not totally gone it has gone from a 10 down to a 7 so for me this is a great improvement."

Cricket's mom March 19, 2013

"First two weeks had good relief. It decreased after that."

old nurse March 16, 2013

"Although I've read it could take up to 4 weeks to see any improvement while taking Cymbalta, I noticed the pain that I usually experience for several hours in the morning has subsided significantly with the first dose. It's been one week and the improvement continues!"

Cindy 54 January 15, 2013

"The pain in my knees was way down the following day that I took it. I am on 60mg once a day. The only down side has been the stomach problem. My reflux has gotten a bit worse and the first couple of weeks I had a lot of gas. For me it has taken my knee pain down from a 9 to about a 3."

BigDaddyTod April 6, 2012

"Was taking Cymbalta for depression when my hip arthritis flared up. I had seen the ads about Cymbalta for use in arthritis, but wasn't really taking it for that reason, so I didn't think too much about it. I switched to another depression medicine, after a period of weaning because of the high cost and side effects of Cymbalta. Within 2 weeks my arthritis pain had become intense, almost unbearable. Guess they are right in saying it helps with the pain. It didn't totally remove the pain, but it did keep it under control. Now I am struggling to find something else to help with the pain."

happychef March 19, 2012

"I suddenly developed osteoarthritis of the knee with crippling pain. I was overwhelmed with the pain and the challenges of my mobility. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for the depression I'd developed as a result of ambulatory challenges and within two days, I noticed that my knee pain had subsided. After a few more days, I realized that the connection with the end of my pain and Cymbalta was obvious. I called my doctor and learned that she was very much aware that she would kill two birds with one stone if she prescribed Cymbalta. I've been telling all my friends with chronic pain about the wonderful medication. Yoo-hoo!"

Lifeisbetteragain January 20, 2012

"Cymbalta made me very depressed and very nauseated, but my doctor wanted me to give it a month to see if my symptoms got better. Symptoms didn't improve."

auntniknik August 14, 2011

"Worked good for me with no side affects, if ony my insurance would pay for it."

Anonymous July 3, 2011

"My doctor prescribed Cymbalta for me as an antidepressant. I am also arthritic and cannot believe how the pain in my joints has improved since I started taking Cymbalta. I had gotten to the point where I had to go to bed by 7 or 8 pm - not because I was sleepy, but because I was in too much pain to move. Now I am easily able to do a few more hours of chores before calling it a day. I am not sure how well it is working as an anti-depressant, but the simple feeling of accomplishment of being an adult able to stay on my feet until "bedtime" is enough to call it a success in my book."

Anonymous June 19, 2011

"I had terrible back pain and leg pain. Walking was getting very difficult even for short distances. The effect of Cymbalta was almost amazing. Within a week my pain had diminished to such a degree I felt almost normal. My pain was so bad I used to cry almost every night. I am just hoping this medicine keeps working for me."

Anonymous June 5, 2011

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Osteoarthritis