User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I have been taking Cymbalta for over 3 weeks now. I have to say it has helped with my depression. I have been suffering with depression for 2 years now and decided to get help. I am starting to feel like myself again except for some minor side effects. Constipation, nausea and headaches. Hopefully these side effects will disappear in time."

Finally happy May 9, 2015

"My personal journey with Cymbalta so far is a positive one. Severe anxiety/depression has been present in my life for approximately four years and I've found that Cymbalta has immensely suppressed my anxious symptoms. Through my experience, Cymbalta took on its full effect about 3 weeks in. I am beginning to enjoy life again! I highly recommend this medication to others, especially if immense anxiety is a part of your life. I am most impressed with this medications ability to deplete anxiety! Good Luck! I hope the best for anyone struggling with these miserable conditions."

ceejustine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

"I lost my 16 year old daughter in a tragic car accident four months ago. They first had me on lexapro, then remeron, and neither did anything for me, except the remeron did make me suicidial. My Doc told me to try Cymbalta 30 mg. It was a life saver, literally. I was ready to kill myself, I had enough pain and didn't want to feel that daily pain of losing my daughter. My Doc just increased my Cymbalta to 60 mg, I'm very excited about this. I have not noticed it helping the panic or the anxiety, it def has helped my mind and my body constantly from hurting due to depression. This medicine truly saved my life. I'll never be me again, but this medicine has got me back to the closest old me. Thankful for Cymbalta!"

Livys April 6, 2015

"Didn't help with anxiety at all but did help some with depression. Take 60mg"

Robertjc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

"Problems are panic attacks, phobias and generalized anxiety disorder, as a result to early menopause. First I tried Effexor 75mg, horrible blood pressure sky rocket up 170/101... Then I tried Fetzima for 5 days and couldn't tolerate high heart rate. Resting Heart Rate 96 and while I was walking 110 to 125. Not good always felt like I was climbing a hill, otherwise no other side effects except goosebumps and feeling cold. So then I started Cymbalta 13 days ago, the first 3-4 days very anxious, unable to sleep major. My body was tired, but my mind was not. Every time I would try to sleep my jaw would clench and my body would jerk (myoclonis jerks) and wake me up. I took small dose of Ativan to help me sleep. Also the first 4 days became hypoglycemic."

New/ early menopause (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2014

"I been on Cymbalta for 9 years this has been a miracle for me. It helps with anxiety, my chronic pain, my fibromyalgia, my bipolar now just find something to help with anger I'd be perfect. The only side effect I have had is nightmares if I forget to take it that's it. I love my medicine."

ray of sun (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2014

"Best out of many I tried. Helped the best with least side effects. Added Wellbutrin and combination is awesome. I'm a high functioning person. Abilify at night. All good. Been on over ten years, Abilify recently. "

tiffyfish October 6, 2014

"I have been taking Cymbalta for two years now- it honestly changed my life. At the time I started taking it I was a college athlete and anxiety ruled my life. At first, I would take it during the morning hours and I would immediately want to go to bed. That was my problem, I needed to take it about an hour or two before bed. I am still experimenting the exact right time to take it (I sometimes wake up still feeling tired from it- but not sure if it's the medication or my routine now). I know certain medications work for some and not others, but I would recommend this medication. I had slight symptoms at first beside the tiredness- decreased appetite and no sexual desires or emotions. I still feel great! (30mg once daily)"

KRW2011 July 24, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wow. Cymbalta changed my LIFE! Prozac made me a zombie, as did Paxil, Xanax & Klonopin. I have depression & anxiety. Prozac seemed to have made my depression worse! But then...Cymbalta saved me. I'm so happy to be able to actually GET OUT of bed, not yell at the kids, etc. I experienced a mild euphoria at first, now, (it's been a week) I just feel happy and energetic! I really hope it keeps working!!"

Happy Happy Happy (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My cymbalta experience was brutal. After a few days I felt weak and tired. So tired that I started missing work. One week in to it and I started to get these strange brain zaps that made me feel as if I was being electrocuted. Two weeks in and I would start to cry. Just out of the blue I would cry for no reason. It was the first time I had shed a tear in 10 years and it was awful. I stopped taking it and am now afraid to take anything for my panic other than Klonopin."

Soup132 April 1, 2014

"Cymbalta was a miracle for me. I was paralyzed by anxiety and couldn't function in daily life and it made me feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I've tried tons of anxiety/depression meds; Xanax, Klonopin, Buspar, Ativan, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. and they all barely worked, just made me catatonic, or had really serious side effects (listlessness, decreased libido, etc.). Cymbalta made me feel like my true self minus anxiety, rather than a dulled version of myself. It actually increased my libido because I wasn't too depressed to have sex for the first time. I also lost weight while taking it, which wasn't desirable for me, but I know it is for some people. The only negatives I experienced were nausea and decreased appetite at first."

rglanxiety February 21, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"While the first 3 weeks were no fun at all I have since seen and felt an improvement in my anxiety and panic attacks. I am very sensitive to medication and other medicines would make me dizzy, upset my stomach and or make it impossible to stay awake. The Cymbalta only made me tired and caused me to lose weight the first three weeks. I am on my fourth month on 30's once a day. I take mine right after dinner as they tend to make me tired, but by morning I am good to go. I have since gained my weight back and I feel better than I have since my anxiety and panic attacks started 7 years ago. In 4 months I have not had any panic attacks and only feel the starting effects of anxiety and then it goes away."

Rem1100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again."

Anon5002 October 29, 2013

"I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)"

Aussie mumma October 22, 2013

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on 30mg of Cymbalta for a week then up to 60mg. I've taken it for about 2 years and noticed it really helped. When I got pregnant, my doctor told me to wean off it by taking it every other day. That was hell! He should have prescribed me a lower dosage. The price of it doubled so I no longer take it. I weaned off it this time by going from 60mg to 30mg then to 20mg. What a difference. That was manageable. Another down side is when I was on 60mg, if I would workout in the evenings, I would be wide awake at 3am! That was not the case when I was taking 30mg."

Good but Pricey (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2013

"Cymbalta, unfortunately, did not work for my general anxiety disorder. I took it for two months. The worst part was that it made me feel nothing and my other medications less effective. The good part was that it made my frequent urination decrease--probably because it made a lot of me feel numb including my bladder."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2013

"I have found that Cymbalta really helps my depression. If I don't take it I really notice the difference. I am sure that it helps me. The only downside is its expensive"

Yarn king June 26, 2013

"I've been on Cymbalta over 2 years and it has worked great for my anxiety and Irritable bowel syndrome. I sometimes add Vistaril at stressful times. I tried Topamax and Lexapro and neither gave me the relief I needed. I wish I would have had Cynbalta 30 years ago."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Under the supervision of a psychiatrist I ran the gambit of SSRIs from Prozac to Zoloft with only mild improvements. Cymbalta proved at 120mgs to be wonderful. My insurance was a buzzkill by limiting me to 60mgs but we tried Celexa as an adjunct with similar but not total benefit. Taken with breakfast the change within an hour is dramatic, and missing a dose or two is traumatic. My only anxiety now is God forbid I am ever to go without my Cymbalta. It helped me through 10 chemo sessions, especially with the resulting neuropathy. Perhaps it will fall to a tier 1 med and I can resume 120mgs... There is hope."

will to Will (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Cymbalta after taking Zoloft for a few months. Zoloft was horrible but when my prescription was changed to Cymbalta, my anxiety and everything else seemed to lessen. I was more calm in handling situations and my husband seemed pleased with the change in my attitude. For the first week while on Cymbalta, the experience was horrible. I had all the side effects listed and more but I was determined to stay on it. It only lasted a week then things became more clear. The only thing I FEAR is the withdrawals. I've experienced it accidentally when the medication wasn't available to me. "

NativeWoman March 14, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Excellent for controlling anxiety that, for me, can spiral in to major depression I feel more like myself on Cymbalta than I did on Zoloft. It has been excellent at relieving chronic musculoskeletal pain. Cymbalta benefits do come at a cost, financially and physically. The most annoying physical symptom is profuse sweating. I never sweated much, even on hot days. With Cymbalta, it can be cold outside & I'm in my car A/C on, face dripping with sweat. I can easily tell this from a menopausal hot flash.The two sometimes occur together. Cymbalta can give me bad morning headaches & I can't use Motrin while on it. Once you're on Cymbalta you can't just stop it without getting severe withdrawal symptoms, especially dizziness. "

Anonymous November 13, 2012

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Cymbalta 60mg for 4 months. It helped tremendously with general anxiety so I believed it to be a miracle, however, after about 4 weeks I noticed depression setting in. It had gotten so bad that I felt compelled to leave a review on here. My heart was cold, didnt care about co-workers, friends and family or myself. The depresson hit so quickly. I was angry at the world for my own issues, everyone walking around all happy and everything, I wanted that so badly. I was mean and angry. I'd yell at people for things and accused them of beng rude to me or not considerate enough for my standards. I got off Cymbalta and gained my life back. It did help my generalized anxiety disorder though."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

"I started Cymbalta in September 2011 for Depression and Anxiety. My doctor started me off on 30 mg a day for 2 weeks then switched me to 60 mg a day. The side effects I noticed right away were dry mouth and loss of hunger (not a bad thing - I lost 5lbs in 2 weeks). After being on 60 mg for about a month I started to have pretty bad night sweats, and I mean INTENSE night sweats - you wonder how your body can possibly hold that much water. But they have gotten few and far between now and my dry mouth has subsided as well. About 2 months ago my doctor switched me back to 30mg a day - the 60mg dose was causing my stomach to hurt and burn for about 3 hours after taking it despite taking it with or without food. It helps with GAD. Try it."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

"For the last 2 years I have suffered massive panic and anxiety attacks. I thought my world as I knew it was over. Thanks to Cymbalta everything is almost back to normal and I am feeling myself again. I started taking it 2 months ago, the first 2 weeks I had a bit of nausea but now its gone. No other side effects."

Kroita October 9, 2011

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on 120 mg of Cymbalta daily for 8 months, as well as another year and a half at 60 mg. I take it for anxiety, MDD, OCD, panic disorder, PTSD, etc. In addition to 10 mg of Abilify and a benzo I am feeling almost back to normal. This happens to be one medicine that helps me, and I have tried many SSRI's over the years."

Less Than Human September 18, 2011