User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by ray of sun (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I been on Cymbalta for 9 years this has been a miracle for me. It helps with anxiety, my chronic pain, my fibromyalgia, my bipolar now just find something to help with anger I'd be perfect. The only side effect I have had is nightmares if I forget to take it that's it. I love my medicine.

October 14, 2014 1:06 AM

Review by tiffyfish:

Best out of many I tried. Helped the best with least side effects. Added Wellbutrin and combination is awesome. I'm a high functioning person. Abilify at night. All good. Been on over ten years, Abilify recently.

October 6, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by KRW2011:

I have been taking Cymbalta for two years now- it honestly changed my life. At the time I started taking it I was a college athlete and anxiety ruled my life. At first, I would take it during the morning hours and I would immediately want to go to bed. That was my problem, I needed to take it about an hour or two before bed. I am still experimenting the exact right time to take it (I sometimes wake up still feeling tired from it- but not sure if it's the medication or my routine now). I know certain medications work for some and not others, but I would recommend this medication. I had slight symptoms at first beside the tiredness- decreased appetite and no sexual desires or emotions. I still feel great! (30mg once daily)

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Happy Happy Happy (taken for less than 1 month):

Wow. Cymbalta changed my LIFE! Prozac made me a zombie, as did Paxil, Xanax & Klonopin. I have depression & anxiety. Prozac seemed to have made my depression worse! But then...Cymbalta saved me. I'm so happy to be able to actually GET OUT of bed, not yell at the kids, etc. I experienced a mild euphoria at first, now, (it's been a week) I just feel happy and energetic! I really hope it keeps working!!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Soup132:

My cymbalta experience was brutal. After a few days I felt weak and tired. So tired that I started missing work. One week in to it and I started to get these strange brain zaps that made me feel as if I was being electrocuted. Two weeks in and I would start to cry. Just out of the blue I would cry for no reason. It was the first time I had shed a tear in 10 years and it was awful. I stopped taking it and am now afraid to take anything for my panic other than Klonopin.

April 1, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by rglanxiety:

Cymbalta was a miracle for me. I was paralyzed by anxiety and couldn't function in daily life and it made me feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I've tried tons of anxiety/depression meds; Xanax, Klonopin, Buspar, Ativan, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. and they all barely worked, just made me catatonic, or had really serious side effects (listlessness, decreased libido, etc.). Cymbalta made me feel like my true self minus anxiety, rather than a dulled version of myself. It actually increased my libido because I wasn't too depressed to have sex for the first time. I also lost weight while taking it, which wasn't desirable for me, but I know it is for some people. The only negatives I experienced were nausea and decreased appetite at first.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2014 8:03 AM

Review by Rem1100 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

While the first 3 weeks were no fun at all I have since seen and felt an improvement in my anxiety and panic attacks. I am very sensitive to medication and other medicines would make me dizzy, upset my stomach and or make it impossible to stay awake. The Cymbalta only made me tired and caused me to lose weight the first three weeks. I am on my fourth month on 30's once a day. I take mine right after dinner as they tend to make me tired, but by morning I am good to go. I have since gained my weight back and I feel better than I have since my anxiety and panic attacks started 7 years ago. In 4 months I have not had any panic attacks and only feel the starting effects of anxiety and then it goes away.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by Anon5002:

After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again.

October 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by Aussie mumma:

I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Good but Pricey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started on 30mg of Cymbalta for a week then up to 60mg. I've taken it for about 2 years and noticed it really helped. When I got pregnant, my doctor told me to wean off it by taking it every other day. That was hell! He should have prescribed me a lower dosage. The price of it doubled so I no longer take it. I weaned off it this time by going from 60mg to 30mg then to 20mg. What a difference. That was manageable. Another down side is when I was on 60mg, if I would workout in the evenings, I would be wide awake at 3am! That was not the case when I was taking 30mg.

August 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cymbalta, unfortunately, did not work for my general anxiety disorder. I took it for two months. The worst part was that it made me feel nothing and my other medications less effective. The good part was that it made my frequent urination decrease--probably because it made a lot of me feel numb including my bladder.

July 13, 2013 11:16 AM

Review by Yarn king:

I have found that Cymbalta really helps my depression. If I don't take it I really notice the difference. I am sure that it helps me. The only downside is its expensive

June 26, 2013 1:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on Cymbalta over 2 years and it has worked great for my anxiety and Irritable bowel syndrome. I sometimes add Vistaril at stressful times. I tried Topamax and Lexapro and neither gave me the relief I needed. I wish I would have had Cynbalta 30 years ago.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by will to Will (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Under the supervision of a psychiatrist I ran the gambit of SSRIs from Prozac to Zoloft with only mild improvements. Cymbalta proved at 120mgs to be wonderful. My insurance was a buzzkill by limiting me to 60mgs but we tried Celexa as an adjunct with similar but not total benefit. Taken with breakfast the change within an hour is dramatic, and missing a dose or two is traumatic. My only anxiety now is God forbid I am ever to go without my Cymbalta. It helped me through 10 chemo sessions, especially with the resulting neuropathy. Perhaps it will fall to a tier 1 med and I can resume 120mgs... There is hope.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 1:08 AM

Review by NativeWoman:

I was prescribed Cymbalta after taking Zoloft for a few months. Zoloft was horrible but when my prescription was changed to Cymbalta, my anxiety and everything else seemed to lessen. I was more calm in handling situations and my husband seemed pleased with the change in my attitude. For the first week while on Cymbalta, the experience was horrible. I had all the side effects listed and more but I was determined to stay on it. It only lasted a week then things became more clear. The only thing I FEAR is the withdrawals. I've experienced it accidentally when the medication wasn't available to me.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2013 11:42 AM

Excellent for controlling anxiety that, for me, can spiral in to major depression I feel more like myself on Cymbalta than I did on Zoloft. It has been excellent at relieving chronic musculoskeletal pain. Cymbalta benefits do come at a cost, financially and physically. The most annoying physical symptom is profuse sweating. I never sweated much, even on hot days. With Cymbalta, it can be cold outside & I'm in my car A/C on, face dripping with sweat. I can easily tell this from a menopausal hot flash.The two sometimes occur together. Cymbalta can give me bad morning headaches & I can't use Motrin while on it. Once you're on Cymbalta you can't just stop it without getting severe withdrawal symptoms, especially dizziness.

November 13, 2012 1:00 AM

I took Cymbalta 60mg for 4 months. It helped tremendously with general anxiety so I believed it to be a miracle, however, after about 4 weeks I noticed depression setting in. It had gotten so bad that I felt compelled to leave a review on here. My heart was cold, didnt care about co-workers, friends and family or myself. The depresson hit so quickly. I was angry at the world for my own issues, everyone walking around all happy and everything, I wanted that so badly. I was mean and angry. I'd yell at people for things and accused them of beng rude to me or not considerate enough for my standards. I got off Cymbalta and gained my life back. It did help my generalized anxiety disorder though.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 8:30 AM

I started Cymbalta in September 2011 for Depression and Anxiety. My doctor started me off on 30 mg a day for 2 weeks then switched me to 60 mg a day. The side effects I noticed right away were dry mouth and loss of hunger (not a bad thing - I lost 5lbs in 2 weeks). After being on 60 mg for about a month I started to have pretty bad night sweats, and I mean INTENSE night sweats - you wonder how your body can possibly hold that much water. But they have gotten few and far between now and my dry mouth has subsided as well. About 2 months ago my doctor switched me back to 30mg a day - the 60mg dose was causing my stomach to hurt and burn for about 3 hours after taking it despite taking it with or without food. It helps with GAD. Try it.

January 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Review by Kroita:

For the last 2 years I have suffered massive panic and anxiety attacks. I thought my world as I knew it was over. Thanks to Cymbalta everything is almost back to normal and I am feeling myself again. I started taking it 2 months ago, the first 2 weeks I had a bit of nausea but now its gone. No other side effects.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2011 5:09 PM

Review by Less Than Human:

I have been on 120 mg of Cymbalta daily for 8 months, as well as another year and a half at 60 mg. I take it for anxiety, MDD, OCD, panic disorder, PTSD, etc. In addition to 10 mg of Abilify and a benzo I am feeling almost back to normal. This happens to be one medicine that helps me, and I have tried many SSRI's over the years.

September 18, 2011 2:44 PM

Review by Astutedude:

I've used Lexapro for several years before starting on Cymbalta around 10 months ago. My anxiety is under much better control and the sexual side effects are significantly less pronounced. Take twice a day, 30mg in the morning and 60 mg at night.

August 20, 2011 1:08 PM

Review by lou514:

I had been taking Lexapro which worked very well. I had been having pains in my back and headaches for a while so my Doctor started me on Cymbalta. I must say that with the switch my pains are relieved, and my whole being is in a very good place. Thanks Cymbalta

July 19, 2011 5:49 PM

I took the first 30mg dose of Cymbalta and had bad side effects almost immediately. I felt dizzy and felt like I was passing out. I only took the one dose but have had insomnia for the past 48 hours. Lying awake feeling agitated and anxious.

January 16, 2011 5:06 PM

Review by jackiewright:

I have been taking Cymbalta (60 mg) for 7 weeks and it has been of great help with the anxiety, depression and chronic abdominal pain. I have some minor nausea and fatigue most days but nothing really bad. The most serious side effects I have is the sexual one - lost libido and inability to reach orgasm. After 7 weeks I fear it will be a permanent side effect, which is hard to deal with. Thank you.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2010 1:28 PM

Review by heiven7:

I have GAD with mild depression which caused a lot of tension in my shoulders and confused, muddled thinking with poor memory. I tend to be really irritable and short tempered with mood swings. I've so far taken Cymbalta for about 4-5 months. My mood swings, irritability and temper have improved. I am able to think much more clearly and remember better. The bad, my social anxiety hasn't improved much and I gained about 5 pounds. Otherwise no side effects. It doesn't make me sleepy, spacey, numb, nor does it diminish my libido. It isn't a wonder drug but it's nice to have fewer side effects.

May 15, 2010 7:19 PM