User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"I took this drug awhile back, I was on it for 3 years. I don't recall ever having side effects while initially starting or during taking it over time. This drug seemed to help my depression and anxiety significantly, probably more than I actually realized at the time. Only problem I had was, if I missed a dose I'd be hit with massive emotional distress. Crying over the stupidest things rather it was positive or negative crying. My emotions were intense. After a long time without medicine now, trying to beat depression and anxiety on my own and being somewhat successful for an extended period of time I've been contemplating using it again. I've tried almost all of these meds, and this is the one that's worked for me the most."

nickname12345 December 11, 2015

"I have used Prozac (gained a lot of weight) Now I am on a combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. What a difference. No foggy brain. My emotions are back. Don't feel like a zombie any more. Feel a little dizzy at times, but the benefits outweigh the side effects. I lost 10 kg !!! Look and feel great. Will stay on this combination. Great for depression."

LT1026 December 4, 2015

"I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It got so bad I couldn't function and my Dr took me off work for 5 weeks and gave me 30mg of cymbalta (generic). By day 10 I noticed a big improvement..about 60% better. I see Dr in 2 weeks and she will decide if I should take 60mg. I really don't want to and I'm hoping I will continue to get better on the 30mg. I guess I will wait and see how I feel. I think therapy is a must for people with anxiety so we can learn ways to help stop the negative thoughts and not let them ruminate on a repeat reel in our head. I have found that there are things we can learn to help with that along with the meds."

AnnaDell (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I tried cymbalta right after I gave birth and I noticed a difference within days. My.mood swings before my period get very bad and I thought the medicine wasn't working anymore so I switched to prozac. Big.mistake. I couldn't get out of bed. I switched back to cymbalta and am on day 2 and feel good. Never had side effects or anything like that. This has always been fast acting and an overall good medicaton for depression and my anxiety."

Kmlampe October 27, 2015

"I took this for both anxiety and pain. It did not work as well as Effexor for anxiety but it helped keep away the bad anxiety attacks. I had to take ativan several times a week where as on the Effexor I took it once or twice a week. I changed to the Cymbalta hoping it would help with my chronic pain and it did significantly. The only bad side effect I have had is higher body temperature and sweating. I am currently researching other medications just because of this side effect. If you anxiety is mild to moderate and you have chronic pain I think this is a good option if you dont experience the sweating. My anxiety was a little to much for this drug to handle alone and I cant handle the sweating and "hot flashes""

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

"I've only been on it for 7 days at 30 mg. My Dr said to increase to 60 mg after a week. I feel it's working for my anxiety at this level so I don't think I should go up. Thoughts?"

angiesmith (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

"I took my first and last 30mg dose of Cymbalta yesterday. The side effects were just unbearable. Dry mouth, blurred vision, tremors, panic attacks, vomiting. I will never take it again. And now today, after only having took one pill and discontinuing, I am having body aches and extreme fatigue. There has to be a better way to beat this anxiety than poisoning ourselves."

LettyMachete September 1, 2015

"At 25 i started taking celexia. When I became pregnant less then a year later I noticed it not working any more. Then after my daughter was born I noticed a huge difference. My doctor perscribed my cymbalta, starting at 30mg and finally leveling out at 90mg. This is the best I have ever felt and have now been taking it for almost 5 years. A year ago I tried to lower my dosage (through my doctor of course) and with in the week noticed a huge difference, I was more irritable, less patient, and more anxiety. And when I dont take it for a few days my head pounds, I feel nausious, and not like my self at all. At the end of the day the good out ways the bad. Although I do wish they were not so expensive but how can you put a price on feeling normal?"

partsgirl August 26, 2015

"I took Cymbalta for anxiety and depression. Over the years, I took anywhere from 30-120 mg. I think around 60 mg was most effective with fewest side effects, but I still experienced tons of anxiety while on it. At 120 mg, I had bizarre psychomotor symptoms - for example, in order to fall asleep, I had to rock back and forth. The same day that I decreased from 60 mg to 30 mg, I noticed the return of an OCD-style facial tic I hadn't had since middle school (I'm 25). Side effects included drastically increased sweating, "brain zap" headaches, and difficulty finding the right words (which may be permanent, as I've been off Cymbalta for 3 weeks and continue to experience it)."

lou3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

"After several years of Zoloft use for GAD, I went off of it, under my dr's supervision. Felt Ok, then last year, had a lot of chronic pain, back & arthritis...heard that Cymbalta was good for all those--pain, depression and anxiety. Psych doc gave me samples, seemed to kick in pretty well & quickly. I have gone through 3 major surgeries in the last 18 months--and went off the Cymbalta b/c I thought I could handle it...Nope, I'm a mess. Needed daily clonazepam to cope. I just went though a 3rd and (Hopefully!!) final surgery 5 weeks ago. Hadn't taken any Cymbalta for months. I am going back on. Just got thru the worst anxiety attacks in my life following the 3rd surgery. I think the dose for me was 60mgs, and I will start it up again."

MidKid (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

"Started on Cymbalta for anxiety & depression fall 2014. It was the first anti-depressant that I'd ever tried (aside from St. John's Wort). Side effects during the first week of taking it were SO terrible that I had to stop. I was constantly dizzy. I couldn't focus on anything. It made my body so tense, I'd catch myself clenching my teeth and fists. Insomnia was terrible; I'd wake up ~5x per night. I work in healthcare and I felt like I couldn't do my job with all of these side effects, so I stopped. The side effects were really worse than my anxiety and depression. I have no doubt that they would have eventually decreased, but I couldn't wait for that to happen. Obviously, the side effects will be different for everybody but that's my story"

AliceBB (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2015

"This medications helped with my arthritis a little but did nothing for anxiety"

ihatesupercenters May 8, 2015

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety, it has had a major positive impact. I was a competitive distance runner for about 25 years and sprained both ankles and wore out my knees. I was so achy in my joints all weekend and realized I did not take my medicine Saturday or Sunday because I put my pill case away when the cleaning lady came--HA HA. It helps anxiety and joint pain. I am very pleased with the results."

Miss Ninja April 20, 2015

"I have GAD, tried celexa, worked for a while, mental fog. I then tried Lexapro which worked but I decided to try Cymbalta for its chronic low back pain effectiveness. I have a bulged disc, arthritis from homecare for many years. I will not even consider Narcotics for pain... Cymbalta has been a life saver, I too have dry mouth night sweats, increased weight of 10lbs. But I feel calmer, I started off on 30 mg for 2 wks the increased the dose per my HCP. I can tell when I don't take it. Chronic low back pain, dizziness as well and anxiety symptoms return... I am a nurse and I hate taking medicine but this is one medicine I don't mind taking. The benefits out weigh the everything else."

Caligirl71 April 10, 2015

"I had been using Cymbalta for 3 years and all was great until the generic one appeared and I took it for several weeks and started getting a metallic taste in my mouth and got cyst in my mouth and on both sides of my tongue; nothing tasted right. I had my doc write a script for use of only the original Cymbalta because I saw on another forum that this was a reaction of the generic. All the cyst cleared up and gone and everything is normal after 2 weeks of original Cymbalta!"

Sly4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2015

"Took it for 6 months and it got me through the worst of my symptoms"

Mm uneasy February 2, 2015

"I have been on several medications (citalopram) & after 6 years it simply stopped helping my anxiety. It made me tired, foggy & spacey anyways. I had a hard time being sharp at my corporate job. I then got off of anything and was just ok for 7 months. Then my spouse almost died and it sent me reeling into depression & severe anxiety. I was paralyzed with fear. I couldn't get my work done, cried all the time, had major anxiety. I was afraid to try anything due to the fear of being tired, foggy or dull. Started 30mg Cymbalta. It helped me within 3 days. First 3 days was nauseous. After 2 weeks I was no longer depressed, no catastrophic thinking or panic attacks. Wish I had tried 10-20 years ago! It has turned me around. Not foggy or tired!"

WorkingMommyof 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Cymbalta earlier this year for my anxiety. I found it really helped, but I didn't want to stay on it for long. I had a few side effects while being on Cymbalta such as night sweats, trouble sleeping and electric pulses through my body. Whilst gradually lowering my doses of Cymbalta these side effects did get a little worse, however they have completely gone now. I started lowering my doses in June, and now by the end of August the night sweats have completely stopped, my sleeping is back to normal, and the electric pulses are very rare. When I think about getting worried or anxious now, I just remember that its not a big deal and that if I was on Cymbalta I wouldn't have even thought about it."

Ef1988 August 27, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 5 weeks into taking Duloxetine for depression and anxiety and have had an overall positive experience. My anxiety was greatly reduced after only 4 days on 40mg per day including stopping negative thoughts, no more panic attacks at night etc. The second week I was very tired and depressed without the anxiety, sleeping many hours each day. But by the third week both depression and anxiety were greatly reduced. However by the end of the month the anxiety had started to return slightly and my doctor has now increased the dose to 80mg per day. I had slight nausea, dry mouth and loss of appetite, and some indigestion during the first week or so and now again since I have upped the dose but I imagine these will disappear again soon."

Meg78 August 13, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Didn't work for me. Felt pretty barfy and crummy first several days. Seemed to make me agitated. Only on it for a week; withdrawal was unpleasant. Just my experience, however."

king bean (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2014

"I just started taking this medication last night and ALREADY feel so much better. I've tried Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Buspar, Abilify, and countless others to help with my anxiety and none of them worked. This medication is a miracle in my opinion. I can't believe how quickly it works too. I'm taking this along with Atarax to help anxiety and panic attacks. I like the Atarax too and have not needed to take clonazepam today. Very happy. Only problem was that I couldn't sleep last night. I was physically exhausted and couldn't open my eyes or move but my mind was active. Hopefully this will pass. I've also had an upset stomach today with diarrhea but it beats anxiety any day!"

Monchie July 16, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was quick to anger, severe mood swings would yell at my kids for the slightest things. I was ready to punch anybody that would make me mad and( it didn't take much!) I started with Cymbalta 30mg and I noticed a slight difference I was increased to 60 mg and I felt the change right away. I'm so calm and I'm back to being a happy mom. I take it at night because it would get me sleepy during the day if I take in the morning some of the side effects I've experienced have been dry mouth, lack of appetite, hot flashes, tiredness! I love this medicine it has changed my life. The relationship with my children is much much better too. I no longer have crying spells and I'm a much nicer person. Try Cymbalta."

danimom80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2014

211 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After trying two other medicines with horrible side effects and no results, Cymbalta finally did the trick! The side effects were mild (hot flashes, some shakiness, etc) have mostly subsided and I'm sleeping better."

tiggergal (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication was a life saver for me as it helped me to overcome anxiety at work and allowed me to regain my focus. This also helped a lot with my irritable bowel syndrome issues! Only downfall was the first few weeks where I lost a lot of weight due to having no desire to eat and I had to switch to taking it at night because when I took it in the morning it made me dizzy and tired all day. I am taking 30mg once a day and have been on this for about 8 months. Hang in there if you just started the medication because it takes about a month to really kick in."

Office Executive (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2014

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this medication after I basically had a nervous breakdown in June 2013. I couldn't function as a mother, I felt scared & nervous all the time, lights were too bright, sounds were too loud. I couldn't deal with all of the things that needed to be done around the house. Started out at 30mg for 2 weeks then went up to 60mg. Made me super tired in the afternoons at first. (take around 7am). Cymbalta slowly brought me out of the 'fog' I was in, it took about 6-8 weeks before I could say I felt 'normal' again; whatever that is, right? "

Lala- age 30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2014

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next