User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

Review by Lala- age 30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I started this medication after I basically had a nervous breakdown in June 2013. I couldn't function as a mother, I felt scared & nervous all the time, lights were too bright, sounds were too loud. I couldn't deal with all of the things that needed to be done around the house. Started out at 30mg for 2 weeks then went up to 60mg. Made me super tired in the afternoons at first. (take around 7am). Cymbalta slowly brought me out of the 'fog' I was in, it took about 6-8 weeks before I could say I felt 'normal' again; whatever that is, right?

March 13, 2014 7:22 AM
Review by huntergirl214 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

The medication helps but if I take too much at once or not at the right time thing dont feel right other wise It has greatly helped my mood

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 1:12 AM
Review by OCD/Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta worked somewhat on my obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression better than other medicines. However, I felt like I couldn't do much. I had zero energy even though I took my dose (60mgs) at night. It became too tiring to even make myself something to eat. I did not want to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the energy. At higher doses (90 mgs), I had stomach upset and pains if I did not take my dose with food. I would also have diarrhea/loose stools at the higher dose. Sexual side effects were decreased interest and desire in sex. Could be attributed to just not having the energy to enjoy it. It did help with my OCD and lowered my anxiety but did not help my depression.

December 2, 2013 8:25 PM
Review by amesville: User Rating:

Cymbalta saved my sanity. I was under incredible work pressure and stress for three solid months (new job covering for one coworker on maternity leave another coworker having a sudden heart attack and Crohn's flare up. Me running the office for three months, even though I'd just been hired). I had a doctor's appointment and broke down on the table. He prescribed Celexa first, which gave me severe panic attacks. Then he switched me to Cymbalta, and I was back to normal within days. The downside: It is extremely hard to stop taking it. I was intended to take it only for the short term, until things calmed down at work. Two years later, I'm still on it because going off was WEIRD. Numbness, tingling, weird sensory inputs, distraction.

September 30, 2013 11:21 AM
Review by Little 'ole me: User Rating:

I have been on Cymbalta for almost 5 years after a very difficult 4 years of PND/PSTD. Other medications got me to a point of about 50 percent improvement. This was far from ideal/adequate. Cymbalta worked for me like no other antidepressant. My anxiety reduced to the point where I can function at a pretty high level. I still have bouts of anxiety and occasional dark moods but they pass and even now are fewer and further between. I have tried to come off of it a few times but at 30mg the cogs begin to turn faster and I can feel my anxiety levels significantly increasing. I am concerned that my emotions are a bit blunted and like someone else said, I cannot cry, which I miss. I used to like a good, therapeutic cry. I also have no sex drive.

September 29, 2013 6:07 AM
Review by Female 50 yrs of age: User Rating:

Have been on this medication for 4 yrs for Anxiety Disorder & Fibromyalgia. Cymbalta has definitely helped with both conditions. Without it, I'd be in an almost constant state of Anxiety & the Fibromyalgia flare-ups would be much worse. (Found this out when I reduced the dose from 60 mgs a day to 30mgs every other day, after hitting the expensive Medicare "donut hole" last year. That reduction also caused severe depression within a month and I've never been diagnosed with depression!). My side effects include some gastrointestinal problems & 30 lb. weight gain, despite daily exercise/diet. (All SSRI's cause weight gain for me). Hate the extra weight gain, but it's better than having Anxiety/Fibromyalgia pain.

September 12, 2013 1:46 AM
Review by speedfire: User Rating:

I was started on Cymbalta 30mg about 6 months ago. I was increasingly anxious and irritable and quick to start arguments. My presenting complaint was however tinnitus due to jaw clenching! Cymbalta almost immediately calmed me down. I feel less guilt feelings about everything. I can walk away from arguments unless really pushed - and then just watch out! My spouse thinks I am better for it. However I do feel rather fatigued and now find it difficult to exercise but once I start I have no problem. I can focus and work with a less antagonistic attitudes. Sleep is better. Sex is better. No weight problem. I do drink very moderately with no problem. Missing doses is a major problem: headaches, dizziness, nightmares.

August 21, 2013 1:33 PM
Review by SJforever: User Rating:

The only real way to see if medication works is to ask the people you live with. I've been on Cymbalta for over a month and have had no side effects. My family can testify that I am a so much more calmer and less reactive. In fact my 18 year old daughter happened to be with me when I went to the doctor and he asked how I was going. My daughter replied for me and told him, "I don't know if it's all in her head, but she is amazing now. She used to be so irritable and grumpy. Now she's really nice." How's that for honesty? Like they say, "Out of the mouth of babes!" I really, really do feel happier and it's great knowing my family can see the difference. I remember saying to my doctor "I'm not coping", but I truly don't feel that way anymore.

July 31, 2013 4:24 AM
Review by mo15 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have suffered from anxiety problems my whole life, but it was easily managed until I turned 23 (2.5 years ago) when it blew up and every month got much worse. In Dec 2012, I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder, moderate panic disorder, and moderate agoraphobia. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D, and combined with anxiety, I always had to be near a bathroom - any time I left the house I had diarrhea. Couldn't go shopping alone, do drive throughs, etc. Started this and almost immediately felt a bit better, minimal side effects (insomnia/headache 1st 3 days, itchy armpits 1st week) and it has taken the edge off lots. Have done many things I couldn't. No weight gain so far, very happy. Only big anxiety triggers bother me a bit, and Imodium use decreased LOTS! No mental fog!

July 13, 2013 11:51 PM
Review by Tiger6933 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have been taking Cymbalta for 15 months now. First 30mg and then six months later up it to 60mgs/day. It was prescribed to me for clinical depression. It works for the depression and I also noticed it has worked very well for anxiety also. My MD and I have discussed that I probably have had this anxiety disorder for some time and curtailed with the depression, Cymbalta has done well for both. Side effects are weight gain (5-10 lbs), and bad withdrawal effects if you miss a day or two - headaches. Otherwise, the medication has worked very well and I feel like I can live my life again.

June 10, 2013 2:29 PM
Review by Batgirl516 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've been taking 120mg of Cymbalta for 6 months now & have found the benefits to be: decreased anxiety; increased social confidence; and 10kg (22.2 pounds) weight loss!! The negatives have been: irregular insomnia; slightly manic personality when really comfortable in my social surroundings; dry mouth; mild occasional nausea & that's about it. I'm under the watchful eye of a great Psychiatrist & think Cymbalta is much better than Prozac & Zoloft which I've been on for 5 years prior (at alternate times). Also, I strongly recommend reducing your alcohol intake - Cymbalta increases side effects & makes you feel embarrassingly drunk & tired much earlier than others. Good luck.

June 7, 2013 9:53 AM
Review by NinaEnid (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months now, and finally can say that it is worth going through some of the beginning side effects. We must be careful though, to listen to our bodies first. Side effects can be bothersome but should not be unbearable, so if this is your case with Cymbalta or any other medication, you must consult your physician. When I first started Cymbalta, (which I did twice before finally staying on it) I could not sleep, had headaches, and could not even drink a cup of coffee without feeling as if I was hyper. Eventually, things got better and I was able to stop the additional medication that was prescribed to help me sleep. Switching Cymbalta to bedtime helped tremendously! No pain and/or anxiety.

June 2, 2013 7:28 PM
Review by therealme (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For years, I struggled with anxiety but my understanding and how I was raised was to suck it up and fight through it. Finally, after many sleepless nights, I went to the GP and she advised me to take Cymbalta. I started on 30 mg's but my tolerance to these types of medicines pushed me to take 120mg's for a month or so. After that month I got back to the old me, the one that didn't care what people thought or how I should act in front of people. I would definitely recommend this for anyone with social or general anxiety.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 27, 2013 2:15 AM
Review by Sars (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Cymbalta changed my life. Initially, for the worst - I was vomiting and felt like I was dying for the first few days. Then gradually, the side effects lessened. The vomiting stopped after 2 days, the foggy head and ill stomach cleared after a week or 2. Then it changed my life for the better - to my shock and my doctor's amazement, the lowest dose (30mg) worked! No need to experience the side effects of moving to a higher dosage (thank goodness!). I was previously unable to socialise and frequently had a fight or flight response that was way over-reactive. Now, although not perfect, it's way more under control. I've used Cymbalta for almost a year. I would definitely recommend Cymbalta!

April 23, 2013 6:18 PM
Review by crystallee: User Rating:

On it for a month, became extremely depressed and had suicidal thoughts.

April 23, 2013 12:25 AM
Review by michellemybelle: User Rating:

I absolutely love Cymbalta; it's a miracle for me. My anxiety, depression, and spinal pain have all been reduced or gone away. I also lost weight and could eat anything I wanted. After 6 months, I switched to Celexa to save money. Big Mistake. I started gaining weight, and it didn't have much effect on anxiety or depression. I switched back to Cymbalta, and am happy again.

April 21, 2013 3:26 PM
Review by Anonymoussssssss: User Rating:

I've been on Cymbalta for about 8 months now. I never had major side effects to begin with but the last 3 months I've been experiencing nightmares or crazy dreams, I'm tired a lot, I sweat at night, I feel as if I'm in one mood and the only major emotion I get is anger. It's hard to laugh at things that I used to and I can't cry anymore. Sometimes I just want to feel frustrated when I know I should, and sad, but I feel stuck and emotionless. I don't think Cymbalta has helped me. I think the only progress I've made with my anxiety, OCD, and depression has been on my own.

February 10, 2013 7:08 PM
Review by Chrissyjels (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been on Cymbalta 30mg for just under 2 weeks. After the first 3 days I started feeling a lot better. It was slightly scary actually to go from feeling like your world is imploding to feeling like you want to smell and see every flower on the planet. It happened so fast. Yes there were a lot of initial side effects from getting used to the medicine. I had the shakes, weird slowing down, odd feelings, nausea, etc. but I am doing very well on it. I went on diet again having gained 25kg from being in Lexapro and Seroquel for over a 18 months. But I now have a low dose of Seroquel every night and Cymbalta every morning and I am back to feeling great.

January 28, 2013 9:01 PM
Review by razz2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Was on Cymbalta for 2 years. Worked fabulous for anxiety and panic. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with Gastritis so me and my doctor felt it was best to switch to something else because this medicine has been found to cause stomach issues.

January 8, 2013 2:21 PM
Review by karkarrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am a 23 year old girl and I have suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember. I had tried so many different medicines from Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac and Celexa... nothing worked. I would get a little better but once again, I would suffer a horrible bout of anxiety attacks. The first day I started Cymbalta I felt a rush of calmness over me. I immediately felt at ease and not as ansy and nervous as I always was. I could finally relax and do everyday normal things without worrying about when I would suffer another attack and would ruin my day. I have not had an attack in about 3 months now and feel so great! I do not feel zoned out like I did on the other medicines. I am happy and confident and overall have a better sense of well being.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 28, 2012 1:13 PM
Review by Edwin3993: User Rating:

I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. My doctor prescribed Cymbalta. It cured my anxiety, but came at a price... it's an expensive medicine, and I hope that mediation and relaxation will help me get off of Cymbalta one day :) Short term, it has been extremely effective in my recovery of anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

December 16, 2012 3:02 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am a RN who suffers from severe social anxiety and moderate depression. Symptoms associated with SAD have included inability to write in front of others, eat in public, public speaking. Even drinking in front of others was difficult for me. I hated the shaking, heart racing/pounding, and everything else that went along with this horrible affliction! I remember it all starting around 15 years old but never could understand why. I'm 41 yrs old today and my anxieties have affected my life negatively and held me back in so many ways. I never felt normal. Many years and meds later, I came to believe my life would never change. That I would never feel "normal" around people. Then I found Cymbalta..changed my life!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 5, 2012 4:16 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have been taking this medication for a little over 6 years and was started off on the 60mg dosage. In the beginning it worked great. I'm now on 90mg sometimes 160mg of Cymbalta, and I feel anxious all the time and also extreme fatigue.

September 6, 2012 10:33 PM
Review by bolderdash (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 days and it is great. My daily high anxiety is completely diminished. I can make decisions without anxiety. I am having trouble with sleepiness however, I know this will subside. I got back on antidepressants because I've had a tough time dealing with moms death in May and currently going through divorce.

August 21, 2012 8:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I went from being extremely angry and so anxious I couldn't leave the house, to now being able to go out in public, socialize with others, and live life. I feel much happier, have more energy, and am MUCH more pleasant to be around.

August 6, 2012 3:57 PM