User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Anxiety

"This medications helped with my arthritis a little but did nothing for anxiety"

ihatesupercenters May 8, 2015

"I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety, it has had a major positive impact. I was a competitive distance runner for about 25 years and sprained both ankles and wore out my knees. I was so achy in my joints all weekend and realized I did not take my medicine Saturday or Sunday because I put my pill case away when the cleaning lady came--HA HA. It helps anxiety and joint pain. I am very pleased with the results."

Miss Ninja April 20, 2015

"I have GAD, tried celexa, worked for a while, mental fog. I then tried Lexapro which worked but I decided to try Cymbalta for its chronic low back pain effectiveness. I have a bulged disc, arthritis from homecare for many years. I will not even consider Narcotics for pain... Cymbalta has been a life saver, I too have dry mouth night sweats, increased weight of 10lbs. But I feel calmer, I started off on 30 mg for 2 wks the increased the dose per my HCP. I can tell when I don't take it. Chronic low back pain, dizziness as well and anxiety symptoms return... I am a nurse and I hate taking medicine but this is one medicine I don't mind taking. The benefits out weigh the everything else."

Caligirl71 April 10, 2015

"I had been using Cymbalta for 3 years and all was great until the generic one appeared and I took it for several weeks and started getting a metallic taste in my mouth and got cyst in my mouth and on both sides of my tongue; nothing tasted right. I had my doc write a script for use of only the original Cymbalta because I saw on another forum that this was a reaction of the generic. All the cyst cleared up and gone and everything is normal after 2 weeks of original Cymbalta!"

Sly4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2015

"Took it for 6 months and it got me through the worst of my symptoms"

Mm uneasy February 2, 2015

"I have been on several medications (citalopram) & after 6 years it simply stopped helping my anxiety. It made me tired, foggy & spacey anyways. I had a hard time being sharp at my corporate job. I then got off of anything and was just ok for 7 months. Then my spouse almost died and it sent me reeling into depression & severe anxiety. I was paralyzed with fear. I couldn't get my work done, cried all the time, had major anxiety. I was afraid to try anything due to the fear of being tired, foggy or dull. Started 30mg Cymbalta. It helped me within 3 days. First 3 days was nauseous. After 2 weeks I was no longer depressed, no catastrophic thinking or panic attacks. Wish I had tried 10-20 years ago! It has turned me around. Not foggy or tired!"

WorkingMommyof 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2014

"I started taking Cymbalta earlier this year for my anxiety. I found it really helped, but I didn't want to stay on it for long. I had a few side effects while being on Cymbalta such as night sweats, trouble sleeping and electric pulses through my body. Whilst gradually lowering my doses of Cymbalta these side effects did get a little worse, however they have completely gone now. I started lowering my doses in June, and now by the end of August the night sweats have completely stopped, my sleeping is back to normal, and the electric pulses are very rare. When I think about getting worried or anxious now, I just remember that its not a big deal and that if I was on Cymbalta I wouldn't have even thought about it."

Ef1988 August 27, 2014

"I'm 5 weeks into taking Duloxetine for depression and anxiety and have had an overall positive experience. My anxiety was greatly reduced after only 4 days on 40mg per day including stopping negative thoughts, no more panic attacks at night etc. The second week I was very tired and depressed without the anxiety, sleeping many hours each day. But by the third week both depression and anxiety were greatly reduced. However by the end of the month the anxiety had started to return slightly and my doctor has now increased the dose to 80mg per day. I had slight nausea, dry mouth and loss of appetite, and some indigestion during the first week or so and now again since I have upped the dose but I imagine these will disappear again soon."

Meg78 August 13, 2014

"Didn't work for me. Felt pretty barfy and crummy first several days. Seemed to make me agitated. Only on it for a week; withdrawal was unpleasant. Just my experience, however."

king bean (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2014

"I just started taking this medication last night and ALREADY feel so much better. I've tried Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Buspar, Abilify, and countless others to help with my anxiety and none of them worked. This medication is a miracle in my opinion. I can't believe how quickly it works too. I'm taking this along with Atarax to help anxiety and panic attacks. I like the Atarax too and have not needed to take clonazepam today. Very happy. Only problem was that I couldn't sleep last night. I was physically exhausted and couldn't open my eyes or move but my mind was active. Hopefully this will pass. I've also had an upset stomach today with diarrhea but it beats anxiety any day!"

Monchie July 16, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was quick to anger, severe mood swings would yell at my kids for the slightest things. I was ready to punch anybody that would make me mad and( it didn't take much!) I started with Cymbalta 30mg and I noticed a slight difference I was increased to 60 mg and I felt the change right away. I'm so calm and I'm back to being a happy mom. I take it at night because it would get me sleepy during the day if I take in the morning some of the side effects I've experienced have been dry mouth, lack of appetite, hot flashes, tiredness! I love this medicine it has changed my life. The relationship with my children is much much better too. I no longer have crying spells and I'm a much nicer person. Try Cymbalta."

danimom80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2014

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After trying two other medicines with horrible side effects and no results, Cymbalta finally did the trick! The side effects were mild (hot flashes, some shakiness, etc) have mostly subsided and I'm sleeping better."

tiggergal (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2014

"This medication was a life saver for me as it helped me to overcome anxiety at work and allowed me to regain my focus. This also helped a lot with my irritable bowel syndrome issues! Only downfall was the first few weeks where I lost a lot of weight due to having no desire to eat and I had to switch to taking it at night because when I took it in the morning it made me dizzy and tired all day. I am taking 30mg once a day and have been on this for about 8 months. Hang in there if you just started the medication because it takes about a month to really kick in."

Office Executive (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started this medication after I basically had a nervous breakdown in June 2013. I couldn't function as a mother, I felt scared & nervous all the time, lights were too bright, sounds were too loud. I couldn't deal with all of the things that needed to be done around the house. Started out at 30mg for 2 weeks then went up to 60mg. Made me super tired in the afternoons at first. (take around 7am). Cymbalta slowly brought me out of the 'fog' I was in, it took about 6-8 weeks before I could say I felt 'normal' again; whatever that is, right? "

Lala- age 30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The medication helps but if I take too much at once or not at the right time thing dont feel right other wise It has greatly helped my mood"

huntergirl214 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2014

"Cymbalta worked somewhat on my obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression better than other medicines. However, I felt like I couldn't do much. I had zero energy even though I took my dose (60mgs) at night. It became too tiring to even make myself something to eat. I did not want to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the energy. At higher doses (90 mgs), I had stomach upset and pains if I did not take my dose with food. I would also have diarrhea/loose stools at the higher dose. Sexual side effects were decreased interest and desire in sex. Could be attributed to just not having the energy to enjoy it. It did help with my OCD and lowered my anxiety but did not help my depression."

OCD/Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2013

"Cymbalta saved my sanity. I was under incredible work pressure and stress for three solid months (new job covering for one coworker on maternity leave another coworker having a sudden heart attack and Crohn's flare up. Me running the office for three months, even though I'd just been hired). I had a doctor's appointment and broke down on the table. He prescribed Celexa first, which gave me severe panic attacks. Then he switched me to Cymbalta, and I was back to normal within days. The downside: It is extremely hard to stop taking it. I was intended to take it only for the short term, until things calmed down at work. Two years later, I'm still on it because going off was WEIRD. Numbness, tingling, weird sensory inputs, distraction."

amesville September 30, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Cymbalta for almost 5 years after a very difficult 4 years of PND/PSTD. Other medications got me to a point of about 50 percent improvement. This was far from ideal/adequate. Cymbalta worked for me like no other antidepressant. My anxiety reduced to the point where I can function at a pretty high level. I still have bouts of anxiety and occasional dark moods but they pass and even now are fewer and further between. I have tried to come off of it a few times but at 30mg the cogs begin to turn faster and I can feel my anxiety levels significantly increasing. I am concerned that my emotions are a bit blunted and like someone else said, I cannot cry, which I miss. I used to like a good, therapeutic cry. I also have no sex drive."

Little 'ole me September 29, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on this medication for 4 yrs for Anxiety Disorder & Fibromyalgia. Cymbalta has definitely helped with both conditions. Without it, I'd be in an almost constant state of Anxiety & the Fibromyalgia flare-ups would be much worse. (Found this out when I reduced the dose from 60 mgs a day to 30mgs every other day, after hitting the expensive Medicare "donut hole" last year. That reduction also caused severe depression within a month and I've never been diagnosed with depression!). My side effects include some gastrointestinal problems & 30 lb. weight gain, despite daily exercise/diet. (All SSRI's cause weight gain for me). Hate the extra weight gain, but it's better than having Anxiety/Fibromyalgia pain."

Female 50 yrs of age September 12, 2013

"I was started on Cymbalta 30mg about 6 months ago. I was increasingly anxious and irritable and quick to start arguments. My presenting complaint was however tinnitus due to jaw clenching! Cymbalta almost immediately calmed me down. I feel less guilt feelings about everything. I can walk away from arguments unless really pushed - and then just watch out! My spouse thinks I am better for it. However I do feel rather fatigued and now find it difficult to exercise but once I start I have no problem. I can focus and work with a less antagonistic attitudes. Sleep is better. Sex is better. No weight problem. I do drink very moderately with no problem. Missing doses is a major problem: headaches, dizziness, nightmares."

speedfire August 21, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The only real way to see if medication works is to ask the people you live with. I've been on Cymbalta for over a month and have had no side effects. My family can testify that I am a so much more calmer and less reactive. In fact my 18 year old daughter happened to be with me when I went to the doctor and he asked how I was going. My daughter replied for me and told him, "I don't know if it's all in her head, but she is amazing now. She used to be so irritable and grumpy. Now she's really nice." How's that for honesty? Like they say, "Out of the mouth of babes!" I really, really do feel happier and it's great knowing my family can see the difference. I remember saying to my doctor "I'm not coping", but I truly don't feel that way anymore."

SJforever July 31, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered from anxiety problems my whole life, but it was easily managed until I turned 23 (2.5 years ago) when it blew up and every month got much worse. In Dec 2012, I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder, moderate panic disorder, and moderate agoraphobia. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D, and combined with anxiety, I always had to be near a bathroom - any time I left the house I had diarrhea. Couldn't go shopping alone, do drive throughs, etc. Started this and almost immediately felt a bit better, minimal side effects (insomnia/headache 1st 3 days, itchy armpits 1st week) and it has taken the edge off lots. Have done many things I couldn't. No weight gain so far, very happy. Only big anxiety triggers bother me a bit, and Imodium use decreased LOTS! No mental fog!"

mo15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2013

"I have been taking Cymbalta for 15 months now. First 30mg and then six months later up it to 60mgs/day. It was prescribed to me for clinical depression. It works for the depression and I also noticed it has worked very well for anxiety also. My MD and I have discussed that I probably have had this anxiety disorder for some time and curtailed with the depression, Cymbalta has done well for both. Side effects are weight gain (5-10 lbs), and bad withdrawal effects if you miss a day or two - headaches. Otherwise, the medication has worked very well and I feel like I can live my life again."

Tiger6933 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2013

"I've been taking 120mg of Cymbalta for 6 months now & have found the benefits to be: decreased anxiety; increased social confidence; and 10kg (22.2 pounds) weight loss!! The negatives have been: irregular insomnia; slightly manic personality when really comfortable in my social surroundings; dry mouth; mild occasional nausea & that's about it. I'm under the watchful eye of a great Psychiatrist & think Cymbalta is much better than Prozac & Zoloft which I've been on for 5 years prior (at alternate times). Also, I strongly recommend reducing your alcohol intake - Cymbalta increases side effects & makes you feel embarrassingly drunk & tired much earlier than others. Good luck."

Batgirl516 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months now, and finally can say that it is worth going through some of the beginning side effects. We must be careful though, to listen to our bodies first. Side effects can be bothersome but should not be unbearable, so if this is your case with Cymbalta or any other medication, you must consult your physician. When I first started Cymbalta, (which I did twice before finally staying on it) I could not sleep, had headaches, and could not even drink a cup of coffee without feeling as if I was hyper. Eventually, things got better and I was able to stop the additional medication that was prescribed to help me sleep. Switching Cymbalta to bedtime helped tremendously! No pain and/or anxiety."

NinaEnid (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2013