User Reviews for Zarah

Birth Control 24 reviews 254 medications

7.6
Summary of Zarah reviews 24 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zarah

For Birth Control "My biggest concern was weight gain. I've just finished my first month of Zarah, and have actually lost a pound or two, but I'm pretty sure it's just water weight. The Good Stuff about Zarah: Reduced/No water retention. No increased appetite. My breasts haven't been swollen/tender. PMDD symptoms are much milder. The Neutral/Bleh Stuff about Zarah: still have some moodiness while the hormones adjust. Definitely having bouts of nausea. But I'll take nausea over no weight gain/slight weight loss any day."

EB83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 19 and have been on Zarah for 2 years due to endometriosis. I don't notice my periods being much lighter while on it but that's probably due to my condition. I have had zero weight gain on this medication and my skin is always clear. It made me a little nauseous I'm the beginning, but nothing like what other bc pills did to me. This is by far my favorite!"

Cassie778 June 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 21, very fit and active. Although I've had two kids, I only weigh about 140, and I work out daily (4-5 days a week) I walk 3.5 miles a day and go to the gym. I began taking Zarah in hopes that it wouldn't cause weight gain, however, I have gained 5lbs in the first week. Not to mention I cannot lose the weight no matter how hard I try! Keep in mind I also diet. I have retained so much fluid, and this medicine caused crazy mood swings and irritability. I also bled when I wasn't on my period. I stopped using zarah about a week ago... I've lost those 5lbs, no more mood swings and I feel much better."

Camilax13 May 16, 2015

For Birth Control "Hi all! No history of any acne during my teens. Started bcp when i was 17, now at 26 I went off (ortho tri cyclen) to try the Mirena IUD. I went from having not one pimple a year to about 5-6 large cysts a week. I had the IUD in for about 5 months and started breaking out almost immediately after i got it. I got the IUD out about three weeks ago and started taking Zarah (generic for Yamisn). My insurance will not cover Yasmin and I can't pay for it out of pocket. I'm finishing my first pack this week, I've seen no improvement. Will continue to take it until I get used to it and I'll report back to you ladies. I hear month 3 is the charm. Wish me luck. I hate make up and can't wait to go back to my clear skin again. This sucks!"

nettym March 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been using Zarah for a year now. It works just as great as Yasmin. It didn't cause any weight gain, or mood changes. Those are the only things I'm scared of apart from the adverse effect of DVT. I had nausea only during the first 4 months of taking it. It reduced my headaches and dysmenorrhea, but I'm not sure if the former is just psychosomatic. I've never been pregnant on the course of taking it so it's an effective bcp!!! Another bonus is "glowing" skin. My skin was already in perfect condition, but Zarah (& Yasmin-which I took before it) made it "ethereal" as what people would say to me... and this is no joke. I'm giving the credit to Zarah (and Yasmin). Apparently, I'm switching back to Yasmin because of insurance coverage changes."

ITieenie February 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Zarah has been okay. I first started on the pill about 5 months ago and it helped a little with my cramps that were horrible before I started the pill. However, I noticed some weight gain and realized that I have horrible mood swings. My period isn't much lighter than before, and my period doesn't come until a few days after I start taking the sugar pills. It definitely decreased my sex drive a lot and I started getting a lot of discharge every day."

Giaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014

For Birth Control "My experience on Zarah was absolutely HORRIBLE. At first things were good. I never carried water weight and my periods lightened up. All of a sudden in these last couple months, my body has been going haywire on it. Everybody swears I could be pregnant, but I'm not. I have gained 20 lbs eventhough I watch my diet and stay active, my acne has not cleared up, I spot 2-3 times a week, crave spicy foods a lot, sweets make me nauseous, I stay with headaches and constant mood swings. My obgyn switched me back to Safyral because I was never bloated, and in fact lost all my excess weight. The only side effect I had was that my periods were a bit heavy the first 2 days. So my obgyn tried me on Zarah. Would much rather deal with heavy periods."

Linzee B. June 25, 2014

For Birth Control "I started taking the pill at 11 years ago to help with dysmenhorrea (really painful periods) and after trying a few different pills to find one that worked for me I started using Yasmin. I used Yasmin for many years and it worked very well for me. Recently my insurance company decided that they would cover Zarah but not the Yasmin so my pharmacy switched me and told me that they were the same pill. When you look at the monograph included with the pills the only noticeable difference is with the non-medicinal ingredients so I agreed to the switch. I wish I hadn't. When I first started Zarah I was nauseated on and off for about a month. Then I noticed that I was getting quite bloated. My weight has gone up 2 or 3 pounds."

Kath22 June 13, 2014

For Birth Control "Overall no major side effects but I do think I've gained weight. I am very active -strength train 5 days/week & run 20km per week and eat quite healthy around 1500 calories/day and cannot shed this extra 10 lbs. I think it's the Zarah. As far as acne goes, I have mild acne & have not noticed an improvement."

NL83 June 4, 2014

For Birth Control "So I starting taking Zarah after Ocella was giving me an bad discharge with an odor. At first I thought I loved Zarah. I recently changed insurance and I can no longer get Zarah. I've began taking a new pill which I cannot remember the name of but I have now realized how many PROBLEMS I actually had with Zarah. I've learned that Zarah was causing weird breakouts around my chin that were just hard painful bumps that never turned into actual zits. It was causing my breasts to lactate, by the way I am 21, have been on birth control since 15 and have never been pregnant. After reading another review I have noticed my sex drive go wayyy up as well. "

c0202 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I have been taking Zarah for almost 3 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and working on getting healthier to try and have a child. When I first took Zarah I got these major headaches at first and tender breast but after three weeks the headaches went away. I haven't had my period in a little over a year because of my PCOS so when I got my first one it was painful but since than they have been easier. My skin looks great and haven't gained any weight. I still have tender breast but part due to my PCOS. I'd recommend it if you can bare with the first two or three weeks. It has been better than others I've tried. Also no mood swings either."

Amj23 May 3, 2014

For Birth Control "The pharmacy made an error last month, accidentally giving me Zarah vs. my regular Vestura. I don't know what it is about this pill, but my body went haywire -- mood swings, swollen tender breasts, a few lbs. weight gain (even though I am on a strict 1500 diet that didn't change), fatigue, sensory changes (smell/taste). My partner and I were both convinced I was pregnant until my period finally came! On the plus side -- my skin looks amazing and no spotting like I get on Vestura..but these side effects are too much!"

LisaB0716 March 18, 2014

For Birth Control "Zarah is officially my favorite birth control I've tried. Other pills and the NuvaRing gave me very bad side effects (acne, moodiness, weight gain), but I've been taking Zarah now for almost 3 months and I've experienced no bad side effects. It has only enhanced my life! My periods are now much shorter (3-4 days long) and lighter, my skin has been clearer than usual, and since taking Zarah I have had absolutely no period cramps, which I used to get very badly. This pill also doesn't affect my mood or weight. When I was on NuvaRing, my emotions immediately went crazy and I felt paranoid about everything, so I am very glad to have found something that doesn't turn me into an emotional wreck! Love Zarah, can't say a bad thing about it."

happyzarahuser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been on Yasmine for over 8 years, 2 months ago my local pharmacist suggested the switch to Zarah. Two months have now passed, I'm nauseous, I've gained 8 pounds and I'm also tired often, honestly I thought I was pregnant (I'm not)... The cheap switch is not worth the side effects. There is something different about this pill."

kameri December 11, 2013

For Birth Control "I know everyone is different, but generally speaking I would recommend this medicine. It cleared up my acne beautifully and has been a very reliable form of contraception. I haven't had any huge changes in emotions or weight gain. The only negative thing is that I do feel sometimes it affects my concentration in school, although I've found this to be the case for most birth controls. Overall, I'm happy with it. I have also been on Syeda and had a similar experience."

Katiemariexo September 2, 2013

For Birth Control "I started taking Zarah 2 months ago. Before that I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which made me very nauseous so I switched). When I started Zarah I was nauseous all the time. My sense of smell was heightened tenfold to the point where I couldn't even be around my dog or the trash can without feeling sick. I couldn't and still can't eat meat, salad, or any of the healthy foods I loved eating. I feel weak and lazy all the time and like I am carrying bricks on my shoulders. I originally got on Zarah and off the IUD because my doctor said it would help my acne but it didn't. The IUD was amazing besides not helping or even causing my acne. I also have constant headaches and eat junk food constantly and have gained 5 lbs. "

Bc newby (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2013

For Birth Control "After trying practically every birth control on the market and having horrible side effects, I've finally found Zarah! The first month of taking it I had a couple of side effects, which were bad mood swings and constipation. But I waited it out and sure enough, once I started the second pack, all those side effects were gone. I now have 3 day cramp free periods and the clearest skin I have ever had in my life. I highly recommend this birth control, but remember: give it at least a month!"

AnnaBue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2013

For Birth Control "Zarah was 4th and final stop for me. I tried 3 other pills and had horrible side effects. I had the worst break out of my life and rashes. I even had to change gynecologists. My new gyno, first and only one she has ever prescribed me was Zarah. I immediately saw results. My skin cleared up, even though I will get minor blemishes around period time. No more rashes and periods are WAY better, they are light and barely any cramps and they last 3- 4 days tops, come like clock work for me now. I do feel more bloating but its a small price to pay when there is really nothing else wrong with the pill. I would definitely recommend this pill. Possibly light weight gain but I think it's manageable and not extreme. Expect discharge a lot."

CherylElizabeth July 2, 2013

For Birth Control "I was on Gianvi for 10 months. The only problem I had was spotting. I switched to Zarah since its the same compounds just higher estradiol. I just started my second pack and am very happy with it. My face is glowing (compared to the occasional break outs) I was able to lose weight with exercise. My period was a lot lighter and no cramps, just a little bloat. I got headaches the first week. I've been moody but overall its good."

Sparklii (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2013

For Birth Control "Zarah is great! No side effects at all. I have had a lot of issues with other birth control but Zarah is perfect."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2012

For Birth Control "Works great for me. After two children I use Zarah as birth control and after endometriosis and multiple ovarian cysts I appreciate the positive effects of this medicine. Decreases my horrid mood swings, decreases my cramps and decreases noticeable ovarian cysts. Give it at least 1 month, you may like it. I do have a bit more weight gain with this."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2012

For Birth Control "I've been very happy with Zarah. Virtually no side effects and has practically eliminated menstrual cramps. No weight gain, nausea, etc. Has also improved acne, which was another concern of mine. Highly recommend Zarah."

Anonymous April 1, 2012

For Birth Control "Was on this for 6 months. Didn't help with my acne but no weight gain. Mood swings were intermittent and manageable. Didn't affect my sex drive. Only complaint was that it cost me $55/month (and had to buy 3 months at a time!) Switched to Safyral because it was cheaper - I've been sick with side effects since I switched! Miss Zarah."

vurbaniak January 7, 2012

For Birth Control "I have been on Zarah, a generic of Yasmin, for more than half a year now. I started taking it for birth control as well as some ovarian cysts. For the first month I have to admit the side effects of the pill was a bit stressful. Always tired, and my mood swings were really ridiculous. But I gave it a month, and lo and behold, I started having more energy, my initial mood swings before the pill stopped, my abnormally painful and heavy period is ridiculously easy, my face and back acne have disappeared completely, and my bust even plumped up half a cup size. Just beware of some forever lasting water weight. Oh and no babies."

Kira W. September 12, 2011