User Reviews for Zarah

7.6
Summary of Zarah reviews 18 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zarah

Review by Linzee B.:

For Birth Control: My experience on Zarah was absolutely HORRIBLE. At first things were good. I never carried water weight and my periods lightened up. All of a sudden in these last couple months, my body has been going haywire on it. Everybody swears I could be pregnant, but I'm not. I have gained 20 lbs eventhough I watch my diet and stay active, my acne has not cleared up, I spot 2-3 times a week, crave spicy foods a lot, sweets make me nauseous, I stay with headaches and constant mood swings. My obgyn switched me back to Safyral because I was never bloated, and in fact lost all my excess weight. The only side effect I had was that my periods were a bit heavy the first 2 days. So my obgyn tried me on Zarah. Would much rather deal with heavy periods.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 5:22 PM

Review by Kath22:

For Birth Control: I started taking the pill at 11 years ago to help with dysmenhorrea (really painful periods) and after trying a few different pills to find one that worked for me I started using Yasmin. I used Yasmin for many years and it worked very well for me. Recently my insurance company decided that they would cover Zarah but not the Yasmin so my pharmacy switched me and told me that they were the same pill. When you look at the monograph included with the pills the only noticeable difference is with the non-medicinal ingredients so I agreed to the switch. I wish I hadn't. When I first started Zarah I was nauseated on and off for about a month. Then I noticed that I was getting quite bloated. My weight has gone up 2 or 3 pounds.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by NL83:

For Birth Control: Overall no major side effects but I do think I've gained weight. I am very active -strength train 5 days/week & run 20km per week and eat quite healthy around 1500 calories/day and cannot shed this extra 10 lbs. I think it's the Zarah. As far as acne goes, I have mild acne & have not noticed an improvement.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by c0202 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: So I starting taking Zarah after Ocella was giving me an bad discharge with an odor. At first I thought I loved Zarah. I recently changed insurance and I can no longer get Zarah. I've began taking a new pill which I cannot remember the name of but I have now realized how many PROBLEMS I actually had with Zarah. I've learned that Zarah was causing weird breakouts around my chin that were just hard painful bumps that never turned into actual zits. It was causing my breasts to lactate, by the way I am 21, have been on birth control since 15 and have never been pregnant. After reading another review I have noticed my sex drive go wayyy up as well.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Amj23:

For Birth Control: I have been taking Zarah for almost 3 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and working on getting healthier to try and have a child. When I first took Zarah I got these major headaches at first and tender breast but after three weeks the headaches went away. I haven't had my period in a little over a year because of my PCOS so when I got my first one it was painful but since than they have been easier. My skin looks great and haven't gained any weight. I still have tender breast but part due to my PCOS. I'd recommend it if you can bare with the first two or three weeks. It has been better than others I've tried. Also no mood swings either.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by LisaB0716:

For Birth Control: The pharmacy made an error last month, accidentally giving me Zarah vs. my regular Vestura. I don't know what it is about this pill, but my body went haywire -- mood swings, swollen tender breasts, a few lbs. weight gain (even though I am on a strict 1500 diet that didn't change), fatigue, sensory changes (smell/taste). My partner and I were both convinced I was pregnant until my period finally came! On the plus side -- my skin looks amazing and no spotting like I get on Vestura..but these side effects are too much!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by happyzarahuser (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Zarah is officially my favorite birth control I've tried. Other pills and the NuvaRing gave me very bad side effects (acne, moodiness, weight gain), but I've been taking Zarah now for almost 3 months and I've experienced no bad side effects. It has only enhanced my life! My periods are now much shorter (3-4 days long) and lighter, my skin has been clearer than usual, and since taking Zarah I have had absolutely no period cramps, which I used to get very badly. This pill also doesn't affect my mood or weight. When I was on NuvaRing, my emotions immediately went crazy and I felt paranoid about everything, so I am very glad to have found something that doesn't turn me into an emotional wreck! Love Zarah, can't say a bad thing about it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by kameri:

For Birth Control: I've been on Yasmine for over 8 years, 2 months ago my local pharmacist suggested the switch to Zarah. Two months have now passed, I'm nauseous, I've gained 8 pounds and I'm also tired often, honestly I thought I was pregnant (I'm not)... The cheap switch is not worth the side effects. There is something different about this pill.

December 11, 2013 12:48 PM

Review by Katiemariexo:

For Birth Control: I know everyone is different, but generally speaking I would recommend this medicine. It cleared up my acne beautifully and has been a very reliable form of contraception. I haven't had any huge changes in emotions or weight gain. The only negative thing is that I do feel sometimes it affects my concentration in school, although I've found this to be the case for most birth controls. Overall, I'm happy with it. I have also been on Syeda and had a similar experience.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2013 11:41 PM

Review by Bc newby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I started taking Zarah 2 months ago. Before that I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which made me very nauseous so I switched). When I started Zarah I was nauseous all the time. My sense of smell was heightened tenfold to the point where I couldn't even be around my dog or the trash can without feeling sick. I couldn't and still can't eat meat, salad, or any of the healthy foods I loved eating. I feel weak and lazy all the time and like I am carrying bricks on my shoulders. I originally got on Zarah and off the IUD because my doctor said it would help my acne but it didn't. The IUD was amazing besides not helping or even causing my acne. I also have constant headaches and eat junk food constantly and have gained 5 lbs.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2013 6:32 PM

Review by AnnaBue (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: After trying practically every birth control on the market and having horrible side effects, I've finally found Zarah! The first month of taking it I had a couple of side effects, which were bad mood swings and constipation. But I waited it out and sure enough, once I started the second pack, all those side effects were gone. I now have 3 day cramp free periods and the clearest skin I have ever had in my life. I highly recommend this birth control, but remember: give it at least a month!

July 25, 2013 7:08 PM

Review by CherylElizabeth:

For Birth Control: Zarah was 4th and final stop for me. I tried 3 other pills and had horrible side effects. I had the worst break out of my life and rashes. I even had to change gynecologists. My new gyno, first and only one she has ever prescribed me was Zarah. I immediately saw results. My skin cleared up, even though I will get minor blemishes around period time. No more rashes and periods are WAY better, they are light and barely any cramps and they last 3- 4 days tops, come like clock work for me now. I do feel more bloating but its a small price to pay when there is really nothing else wrong with the pill. I would definitely recommend this pill. Possibly light weight gain but I think it's manageable and not extreme. Expect discharge a lot.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2013 7:24 PM

Review by Sparklii (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was on Gianvi for 10 months. The only problem I had was spotting. I switched to Zarah since its the same compounds just higher estradiol. I just started my second pack and am very happy with it. My face is glowing (compared to the occasional break outs) I was able to lose weight with exercise. My period was a lot lighter and no cramps, just a little bloat. I got headaches the first week. I've been moody but overall its good.

January 23, 2013 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Zarah is great! No side effects at all. I have had a lot of issues with other birth control but Zarah is perfect.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2012 3:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Works great for me. After two children I use Zarah as birth control and after endometriosis and multiple ovarian cysts I appreciate the positive effects of this medicine. Decreases my horrid mood swings, decreases my cramps and decreases noticeable ovarian cysts. Give it at least 1 month, you may like it. I do have a bit more weight gain with this.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2012 2:17 PM

For Birth Control: I've been very happy with Zarah. Virtually no side effects and has practically eliminated menstrual cramps. No weight gain, nausea, etc. Has also improved acne, which was another concern of mine. Highly recommend Zarah.

April 1, 2012 12:20 AM

Review by vurbaniak:

For Birth Control: Was on this for 6 months. Didn't help with my acne but no weight gain. Mood swings were intermittent and manageable. Didn't affect my sex drive. Only complaint was that it cost me $55/month (and had to buy 3 months at a time!) Switched to Safyral because it was cheaper - I've been sick with side effects since I switched! Miss Zarah.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2012 3:35 PM

Review by Kira W.:

For Birth Control: I have been on Zarah, a generic of Yasmin, for more than half a year now. I started taking it for birth control as well as some ovarian cysts. For the first month I have to admit the side effects of the pill was a bit stressful. Always tired, and my mood swings were really ridiculous. But I gave it a month, and lo and behold, I started having more energy, my initial mood swings before the pill stopped, my abnormally painful and heavy period is ridiculously easy, my face and back acne have disappeared completely, and my bust even plumped up half a cup size. Just beware of some forever lasting water weight. Oh and no babies.

September 12, 2011 10:24 PM