User Reviews for Zarah

Learn more about Zarah.

Zarah review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Zarah to treat Birth Control

Review by LisaB0716: User Rating:

The pharmacy made an error last month, accidentally giving me Zarah vs. my regular Vestura. I don't know what it is about this pill, but my body went haywire -- mood swings, swollen tender breasts, a few lbs. weight gain (even though I am on a strict 1500 diet that didn't change), fatigue, sensory changes (smell/taste). My partner and I were both convinced I was pregnant until my period finally came! On the plus side -- my skin looks amazing and no spotting like I get on Vestura..but these side effects are too much!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2014 1:07 PM
Review by happyzarahuser (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zarah is officially my favorite birth control I've tried. Other pills and the NuvaRing gave me very bad side effects (acne, moodiness, weight gain), but I've been taking Zarah now for almost 3 months and I've experienced no bad side effects. It has only enhanced my life! My periods are now much shorter (3-4 days long) and lighter, my skin has been clearer than usual, and since taking Zarah I have had absolutely no period cramps, which I used to get very badly. This pill also doesn't affect my mood or weight. When I was on NuvaRing, my emotions immediately went crazy and I felt paranoid about everything, so I am very glad to have found something that doesn't turn me into an emotional wreck! Love Zarah, can't say a bad thing about it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 5:56 PM
Review by kameri:

I've been on Yasmine for over 8 years, 2 months ago my local pharmacist suggested the switch to Zarah. Two months have now passed, I'm nauseous, I've gained 8 pounds and I'm also tired often, honestly I thought I was pregnant (I'm not)... The cheap switch is not worth the side effects. There is something different about this pill.

December 11, 2013 12:48 PM
Review by Katiemariexo: User Rating:

I know everyone is different, but generally speaking I would recommend this medicine. It cleared up my acne beautifully and has been a very reliable form of contraception. I haven't had any huge changes in emotions or weight gain. The only negative thing is that I do feel sometimes it affects my concentration in school, although I've found this to be the case for most birth controls. Overall, I'm happy with it. I have also been on Syeda and had a similar experience.

September 2, 2013 11:41 PM
Review by Bc newby (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started taking Zarah 2 months ago. Before that I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which made me very nauseous so I switched). When I started Zarah I was nauseous all the time. My sense of smell was heightened tenfold to the point where I couldn't even be around my dog or the trash can without feeling sick. I couldn't and still can't eat meat, salad, or any of the healthy foods I loved eating. I feel weak and lazy all the time and like I am carrying bricks on my shoulders. I originally got on Zarah and off the IUD because my doctor said it would help my acne but it didn't. The IUD was amazing besides not helping or even causing my acne. I also have constant headaches and eat junk food constantly and have gained 5 lbs.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 3, 2013 6:32 PM
Review by AnnaBue (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

After trying practically every birth control on the market and having horrible side effects, I've finally found Zarah! The first month of taking it I had a couple of side effects, which were bad mood swings and constipation. But I waited it out and sure enough, once I started the second pack, all those side effects were gone. I now have 3 day cramp free periods and the clearest skin I have ever had in my life. I highly recommend this birth control, but remember: give it at least a month!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 25, 2013 7:08 PM
Review by CherylElizabeth: User Rating:

Zarah was 4th and final stop for me. I tried 3 other pills and had horrible side effects. I had the worst break out of my life and rashes. I even had to change gynecologists. My new gyno, first and only one she has ever prescribed me was Zarah. I immediately saw results. My skin cleared up, even though I will get minor blemishes around period time. No more rashes and periods are WAY better, they are light and barely any cramps and they last 3- 4 days tops, come like clock work for me now. I do feel more bloating but its a small price to pay when there is really nothing else wrong with the pill. I would definitely recommend this pill. Possibly light weight gain but I think it's manageable and not extreme. Expect discharge a lot.

July 2, 2013 7:24 PM
Review by Sparklii (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was on Gianvi for 10 months. The only problem I had was spotting. I switched to Zarah since its the same compounds just higher estradiol. I just started my second pack and am very happy with it. My face is glowing (compared to the occasional break outs) I was able to lose weight with exercise. My period was a lot lighter and no cramps, just a little bloat. I got headaches the first week. I've been moody but overall its good.

January 23, 2013 1:54 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Zarah is great! No side effects at all. I have had a lot of issues with other birth control but Zarah is perfect.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 12, 2012 3:20 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Works great for me. After two children I use Zarah as birth control and after endometriosis and multiple ovarian cysts I appreciate the positive effects of this medicine. Decreases my horrid mood swings, decreases my cramps and decreases noticeable ovarian cysts. Give it at least 1 month, you may like it. I do have a bit more weight gain with this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 17, 2012 2:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been very happy with Zarah. Virtually no side effects and has practically eliminated menstrual cramps. No weight gain, nausea, etc. Has also improved acne, which was another concern of mine. Highly recommend Zarah.

April 1, 2012 12:20 AM
Review by vurbaniak: User Rating:

Was on this for 6 months. Didn't help with my acne but no weight gain. Mood swings were intermittent and manageable. Didn't affect my sex drive. Only complaint was that it cost me $55/month (and had to buy 3 months at a time!) Switched to Safyral because it was cheaper - I've been sick with side effects since I switched! Miss Zarah.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2012 3:35 PM
Review by Kira W.: User Rating:

I have been on Zarah, a generic of Yasmin, for more than half a year now. I started taking it for birth control as well as some ovarian cysts. For the first month I have to admit the side effects of the pill was a bit stressful. Always tired, and my mood swings were really ridiculous. But I gave it a month, and lo and behold, I started having more energy, my initial mood swings before the pill stopped, my abnormally painful and heavy period is ridiculously easy, my face and back acne have disappeared completely, and my bust even plumped up half a cup size. Just beware of some forever lasting water weight. Oh and no babies.

September 12, 2011 10:24 PM

More about Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol)

Professional resources