User Reviews for Zarah

Learn more about Zarah.

Zarah Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Zarah to treat Birth Control

"Worse birth control ever! I had breast tenderness, vaginal dryness, 0 to none sex drive, mood swings, and weight gain. I was on this pill for 1 year before I thought it was ruining my relationship with my husband because I had no libido what so ever and vaginal dryness. I experienced dry skin as well. My periods were long 7-8 days /regular. I am now on a new pill lo lolestrin fe I think it's called and noticed a significant improvement. No breast swelling, no long periods, happier moods, not as angry or tired and have regained my libido ..I think even more than before I started taking birth control. It's amazing! . Just in case someone has the same side affects as me on zarah"

ani7821689 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

"This is the absolute worst birth control you could possibly take. I was on Ocella for one month before I had to switch pharmacies due to my new insurance and Ocella was fine. Once I started on Zarah, I had constant anxiety/palpitations. It got so bad to the point that I was seeing my doctor and thinking that I had a heart problem (had an echo done, normal). This birth control literally made me feel like I was going crazy and that I had all kinds of health problems. It made my left hand tingle, and I was also constantly exhausted to the point where I was almost sleeping 20 hours a day. OH and my blood pressure sky rocketed. Went off this birth control and got the Skyla IUD. I didn't get pregnant on this BC which is literally THE only good thing"

NOOO (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"I was on this birth control when I was a teenager and felt great. I had since been diagnosed with endometriosis and had to stop birth control for treatment. When I finished the 6 month treatment I had to start birth control again. I tried a bunch of different birth control pills to try to minimize bleeding and pain. I had issues with acne, depression and anxiety, weight loss, breakthrough bleeding, severe cramping, painful sex, and a million other things. I asked to be put back on Zarah and should have done it years ago. My skin is completely clear, I have no depression and anxiety, it did not change my weight, there is no breakthrough bleeding, severe cramping, or painful sex. I feel 10x better than being on no birth control. The best!!!"

JO38792793 December 1, 2015

"I never write reviews but had to share my terrible experience so that others don't make the same mistake that I've made. I had been on Yasmin for years, my doctor suggested I switch to a generic since it's free (as opposed to $50) so I gave it a shot for a month. I have one more day on Zarah and here are the side effects I've experienced in that time: nausea, severe moodiness, dizziness, yeast infection, swollen tongue (?!), cystic acne, loss of appetite yet weight gain. I'm a healthy, active 31-year old woman without any other medical issues. Avoid this pill!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

"I have tane Zarah for almost a year now and I had to share my experience with others. this pill is extremely affective with me as a birth control and as an acne pill. My boobs have gotten a little bigger than they were, but that is depending on your body. It works different for each person and for me it has been an amazing experience."

Jackie K October 20, 2015

"I NEVER take time out of my day to write reviews on products however I felt it was necessary for this. Overall I am extremely unhappy with Zarah. I am not sexually active therefore I took it more for my acne. Before Zarah I was on Ocella which I LOVED but had to switch due to location purposes. Ocella cleared my face up and did not give me any mood swings. However, once I started Zarah I broke out SO bad on my chin and forehead, Its been about three weeks since I stopped and I am still suffering from acne. If you are taking this pill merely just for acne, DO NOT DO IT. I also got awful mood swings. I do not advise."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

"I started this birth control a few months ago and it has made me into a hormonal mess! One of the side effects is anger and I didn't realize it till yesterday when I didn't speak to my husband for 30 mins all because he wouldn't turn the radio station off when I didn't want to listen to a song. I have never gotten so upset over something to silly. There's other instances but that was just the one that made me realize I need to get on a different pill."

Jacquelynn M September 29, 2015

"I'm 25 and am basically taking birth control for acne. I have tried many different pills but this was my least favorite, I took it for 2 months. I am small framed about 98lbs and 5'. I feel this was too much hormone for my small body. First month I was getting anxiety around my period time, crying spells, very crampy, a heavy flow, and mood swings(my poor boyfriend). This has never happened with any pill I've taken the anxiousness scared me. I gave it another month and not really much of a change. My acne did not clear up at all! No weight gain and sex drive was great. Overall not for me. I switched to monessa, few weeks ago, a much lower dose BC pill and so far so good! Everyone's different good luck!"

Moniquegrad89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

"I've been on birth control pills for 10 years; Yasmin, Yaz, whatever came next, then Zarah. My acne decreased with the exception of the placebo pill week. My cramping was never as bad and I never got pregnant which is the main point! Now, I've been off the pill for 4 months trying to conceive. I haven't had a single mouth ulcer. I NEVER went more than 2 weeks without one. I knew if I bit my lip I'd have one within a few hours. If it was the week of my menstration, I'd have at least one. Usually I had at least 2 at any given time. Also, almost every time I'd go to the dentist, I'd have a new cavity. I've looked it up and I believe that the hormones from the pill increased my mouth difficulties."

Jessabean (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2015

"I've been taking Zarah for 7 months. It's the only birth control I've ever taken (I'm 17). Last fall I broke out in some of the worst acne I've ever experienced. I had deep rooted cystic acne all over my chin and jaw (area known for hormonal breakouts). I started taking it at the end of February and by mid-April my skin was clear, flawless for the first time in my life. That aside, the week before my period (peach pills) I become moody and emotional and cry extremely easily which has never happened before and is very annoying. My cramps are more intense and my period is heavier and lasts longer (went from ~4 days to ~7 days). I haven't noticed a weight difference but my boobs have grown about a cup size. It's a mixed bag for me."

emilytree August 30, 2015

"I have had no problems with this BC. It seems like every brand affects people differently. I switched from Loestrin after I started losing hair. Zarah solved the hair loss. Zarah has cleared up my acne, which is a feat by itself. I do have horrible cramps and bloating. My biggest complaint is my periods last FULL 7 days. That's utter misery to me, especially when they were barely 2 days long on Loestrin."

Sarah1987 August 25, 2015

"I was switched to zarah for my PCOS and was really happy to try something new. I had taken lutera for three years for heavy and painful periods and then for the past 6 months had not gotten a period, which is common with PCOS. My doctor recommended I try zarah. Just in the first month, I was way more moody and retaining a lot of water weight. Then my periods came. It was the worst period I've had since I started birth control. Painful cramps and heavy bleeding to the point I needed to change a super plus tampon every hour. I am going back to the doctor to get this changed, since I waited the three months to see if anything would change. The only positive was that it was an effective birth control."

Duneybear August 11, 2015

"I usually never give reviews on any products but this is something Women need to know of before even going on this pill! I have been on a lot of different birth controls in the past, I have never in my life experienced such a HORRID birth control in all my life. The pharmacy ended up giving me Zarrah 21 instead last time I filled my prescription & for the 1st month I thought 100% I was pregnant! I was getting "morning sickness" & gained probably about 5-10 pounds just in the first month and I am completely exhausted and lethargic almost 24/7 now. Honestly I can deal with the sickness & the little weight gain but the acne! I have never had acne in my life but this is unreal...its painful and horrible all over my face!! Dont go on this pill!!"

Hillvhh August 8, 2015

"I've been on this pill for over a year now and so far so good. When I first started it I was pretty moody and had some acne but after the first few months my skin was always clear and there was waay less moodiness. (Still some but I think that's just how I am lol) This was the first birth control I took and I took it ever since!"

Anne11122 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2015

"My biggest concern was weight gain. I've just finished my first month of Zarah, and have actually lost a pound or two, but I'm pretty sure it's just water weight. The Good Stuff about Zarah: Reduced/No water retention. No increased appetite. My breasts haven't been swollen/tender. PMDD symptoms are much milder. The Neutral/Bleh Stuff about Zarah: still have some moodiness while the hormones adjust. Definitely having bouts of nausea. But I'll take nausea over no weight gain/slight weight loss any day."

EB83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I'm 19 and have been on Zarah for 2 years due to endometriosis. I don't notice my periods being much lighter while on it but that's probably due to my condition. I have had zero weight gain on this medication and my skin is always clear. It made me a little nauseous I'm the beginning, but nothing like what other bc pills did to me. This is by far my favorite!"

Cassie778 June 3, 2015

"I am 21, very fit and active. Although I've had two kids, I only weigh about 140, and I work out daily (4-5 days a week) I walk 3.5 miles a day and go to the gym. I began taking Zarah in hopes that it wouldn't cause weight gain, however, I have gained 5lbs in the first week. Not to mention I cannot lose the weight no matter how hard I try! Keep in mind I also diet. I have retained so much fluid, and this medicine caused crazy mood swings and irritability. I also bled when I wasn't on my period. I stopped using zarah about a week ago... I've lost those 5lbs, no more mood swings and I feel much better."

Camilax13 May 16, 2015

"Hi all! No history of any acne during my teens. Started bcp when i was 17, now at 26 I went off (ortho tri cyclen) to try the Mirena IUD. I went from having not one pimple a year to about 5-6 large cysts a week. I had the IUD in for about 5 months and started breaking out almost immediately after i got it. I got the IUD out about three weeks ago and started taking Zarah (generic for Yamisn). My insurance will not cover Yasmin and I can't pay for it out of pocket. I'm finishing my first pack this week, I've seen no improvement. Will continue to take it until I get used to it and I'll report back to you ladies. I hear month 3 is the charm. Wish me luck. I hate make up and can't wait to go back to my clear skin again. This sucks!"

nettym March 7, 2015

"I've been using Zarah for a year now. It works just as great as Yasmin. It didn't cause any weight gain, or mood changes. Those are the only things I'm scared of apart from the adverse effect of DVT. I had nausea only during the first 4 months of taking it. It reduced my headaches and dysmenorrhea, but I'm not sure if the former is just psychosomatic. I've never been pregnant on the course of taking it so it's an effective bcp!!! Another bonus is "glowing" skin. My skin was already in perfect condition, but Zarah (& Yasmin-which I took before it) made it "ethereal" as what people would say to me... and this is no joke. I'm giving the credit to Zarah (and Yasmin). Apparently, I'm switching back to Yasmin because of insurance coverage changes."

ITieenie February 13, 2015

"Zarah has been okay. I first started on the pill about 5 months ago and it helped a little with my cramps that were horrible before I started the pill. However, I noticed some weight gain and realized that I have horrible mood swings. My period isn't much lighter than before, and my period doesn't come until a few days after I start taking the sugar pills. It definitely decreased my sex drive a lot and I started getting a lot of discharge every day."

Giaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014

"My experience on Zarah was absolutely HORRIBLE. At first things were good. I never carried water weight and my periods lightened up. All of a sudden in these last couple months, my body has been going haywire on it. Everybody swears I could be pregnant, but I'm not. I have gained 20 lbs eventhough I watch my diet and stay active, my acne has not cleared up, I spot 2-3 times a week, crave spicy foods a lot, sweets make me nauseous, I stay with headaches and constant mood swings. My obgyn switched me back to Safyral because I was never bloated, and in fact lost all my excess weight. The only side effect I had was that my periods were a bit heavy the first 2 days. So my obgyn tried me on Zarah. Would much rather deal with heavy periods."

Linzee B. June 25, 2014

"I started taking the pill at 11 years ago to help with dysmenhorrea (really painful periods) and after trying a few different pills to find one that worked for me I started using Yasmin. I used Yasmin for many years and it worked very well for me. Recently my insurance company decided that they would cover Zarah but not the Yasmin so my pharmacy switched me and told me that they were the same pill. When you look at the monograph included with the pills the only noticeable difference is with the non-medicinal ingredients so I agreed to the switch. I wish I hadn't. When I first started Zarah I was nauseated on and off for about a month. Then I noticed that I was getting quite bloated. My weight has gone up 2 or 3 pounds."

Kath22 June 13, 2014

"Overall no major side effects but I do think I've gained weight. I am very active -strength train 5 days/week & run 20km per week and eat quite healthy around 1500 calories/day and cannot shed this extra 10 lbs. I think it's the Zarah. As far as acne goes, I have mild acne & have not noticed an improvement."

NL83 June 4, 2014

"So I starting taking Zarah after Ocella was giving me an bad discharge with an odor. At first I thought I loved Zarah. I recently changed insurance and I can no longer get Zarah. I've began taking a new pill which I cannot remember the name of but I have now realized how many PROBLEMS I actually had with Zarah. I've learned that Zarah was causing weird breakouts around my chin that were just hard painful bumps that never turned into actual zits. It was causing my breasts to lactate, by the way I am 21, have been on birth control since 15 and have never been pregnant. After reading another review I have noticed my sex drive go wayyy up as well. "

c0202 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2014

"I have been taking Zarah for almost 3 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and working on getting healthier to try and have a child. When I first took Zarah I got these major headaches at first and tender breast but after three weeks the headaches went away. I haven't had my period in a little over a year because of my PCOS so when I got my first one it was painful but since than they have been easier. My skin looks great and haven't gained any weight. I still have tender breast but part due to my PCOS. I'd recommend it if you can bare with the first two or three weeks. It has been better than others I've tried. Also no mood swings either."

Amj23 May 3, 2014