User Reviews for Zarah

Learn more about Zarah.

Zarah Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Zarah to treat Birth Control

"I've been on birth control pills for 10 years; Yasmin, Yaz, whatever came next, then Zarah. My acne decreased with the exception of the placebo pill week. My cramping was never as bad and I never got pregnant which is the main point! Now, I've been off the pill for 4 months trying to conceive. I haven't had a single mouth ulcer. I NEVER went more than 2 weeks without one. I knew if I bit my lip I'd have one within a few hours. If it was the week of my menstration, I'd have at least one. Usually I had at least 2 at any given time. Also, almost every time I'd go to the dentist, I'd have a new cavity. I've looked it up and I believe that the hormones from the pill increased my mouth difficulties."

Jessabean (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2015

"I've been taking Zarah for 7 months. It's the only birth control I've ever taken (I'm 17). Last fall I broke out in some of the worst acne I've ever experienced. I had deep rooted cystic acne all over my chin and jaw (area known for hormonal breakouts). I started taking it at the end of February and by mid-April my skin was clear, flawless for the first time in my life. That aside, the week before my period (peach pills) I become moody and emotional and cry extremely easily which has never happened before and is very annoying. My cramps are more intense and my period is heavier and lasts longer (went from ~4 days to ~7 days). I haven't noticed a weight difference but my boobs have grown about a cup size. It's a mixed bag for me."

emilytree August 30, 2015

"I have had no problems with this BC. It seems like every brand affects people differently. I switched from Loestrin after I started losing hair. Zarah solved the hair loss. Zarah has cleared up my acne, which is a feat by itself. I do have horrible cramps and bloating. My biggest complaint is my periods last FULL 7 days. That's utter misery to me, especially when they were barely 2 days long on Loestrin."

Sarah1987 August 25, 2015

"I was switched to zarah for my PCOS and was really happy to try something new. I had taken lutera for three years for heavy and painful periods and then for the past 6 months had not gotten a period, which is common with PCOS. My doctor recommended I try zarah. Just in the first month, I was way more moody and retaining a lot of water weight. Then my periods came. It was the worst period I've had since I started birth control. Painful cramps and heavy bleeding to the point I needed to change a super plus tampon every hour. I am going back to the doctor to get this changed, since I waited the three months to see if anything would change. The only positive was that it was an effective birth control."

Duneybear August 11, 2015

"I usually never give reviews on any products but this is something Women need to know of before even going on this pill! I have been on a lot of different birth controls in the past, I have never in my life experienced such a HORRID birth control in all my life. The pharmacy ended up giving me Zarrah 21 instead last time I filled my prescription & for the 1st month I thought 100% I was pregnant! I was getting "morning sickness" & gained probably about 5-10 pounds just in the first month and I am completely exhausted and lethargic almost 24/7 now. Honestly I can deal with the sickness & the little weight gain but the acne! I have never had acne in my life but this is unreal...its painful and horrible all over my face!! Dont go on this pill!!"

Hillvhh August 8, 2015

"I've been on this pill for over a year now and so far so good. When I first started it I was pretty moody and had some acne but after the first few months my skin was always clear and there was waay less moodiness. (Still some but I think that's just how I am lol) This was the first birth control I took and I took it ever since!"

Anne11122 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2015

"My biggest concern was weight gain. I've just finished my first month of Zarah, and have actually lost a pound or two, but I'm pretty sure it's just water weight. The Good Stuff about Zarah: Reduced/No water retention. No increased appetite. My breasts haven't been swollen/tender. PMDD symptoms are much milder. The Neutral/Bleh Stuff about Zarah: still have some moodiness while the hormones adjust. Definitely having bouts of nausea. But I'll take nausea over no weight gain/slight weight loss any day."

EB83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I'm 19 and have been on Zarah for 2 years due to endometriosis. I don't notice my periods being much lighter while on it but that's probably due to my condition. I have had zero weight gain on this medication and my skin is always clear. It made me a little nauseous I'm the beginning, but nothing like what other bc pills did to me. This is by far my favorite!"

Cassie778 June 3, 2015

"I am 21, very fit and active. Although I've had two kids, I only weigh about 140, and I work out daily (4-5 days a week) I walk 3.5 miles a day and go to the gym. I began taking Zarah in hopes that it wouldn't cause weight gain, however, I have gained 5lbs in the first week. Not to mention I cannot lose the weight no matter how hard I try! Keep in mind I also diet. I have retained so much fluid, and this medicine caused crazy mood swings and irritability. I also bled when I wasn't on my period. I stopped using zarah about a week ago... I've lost those 5lbs, no more mood swings and I feel much better."

Camilax13 May 16, 2015

"Hi all! No history of any acne during my teens. Started bcp when i was 17, now at 26 I went off (ortho tri cyclen) to try the Mirena IUD. I went from having not one pimple a year to about 5-6 large cysts a week. I had the IUD in for about 5 months and started breaking out almost immediately after i got it. I got the IUD out about three weeks ago and started taking Zarah (generic for Yamisn). My insurance will not cover Yasmin and I can't pay for it out of pocket. I'm finishing my first pack this week, I've seen no improvement. Will continue to take it until I get used to it and I'll report back to you ladies. I hear month 3 is the charm. Wish me luck. I hate make up and can't wait to go back to my clear skin again. This sucks!"

nettym March 7, 2015

"I've been using Zarah for a year now. It works just as great as Yasmin. It didn't cause any weight gain, or mood changes. Those are the only things I'm scared of apart from the adverse effect of DVT. I had nausea only during the first 4 months of taking it. It reduced my headaches and dysmenorrhea, but I'm not sure if the former is just psychosomatic. I've never been pregnant on the course of taking it so it's an effective bcp!!! Another bonus is "glowing" skin. My skin was already in perfect condition, but Zarah (& Yasmin-which I took before it) made it "ethereal" as what people would say to me... and this is no joke. I'm giving the credit to Zarah (and Yasmin). Apparently, I'm switching back to Yasmin because of insurance coverage changes."

ITieenie February 13, 2015

"Zarah has been okay. I first started on the pill about 5 months ago and it helped a little with my cramps that were horrible before I started the pill. However, I noticed some weight gain and realized that I have horrible mood swings. My period isn't much lighter than before, and my period doesn't come until a few days after I start taking the sugar pills. It definitely decreased my sex drive a lot and I started getting a lot of discharge every day."

Giaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014

"My experience on Zarah was absolutely HORRIBLE. At first things were good. I never carried water weight and my periods lightened up. All of a sudden in these last couple months, my body has been going haywire on it. Everybody swears I could be pregnant, but I'm not. I have gained 20 lbs eventhough I watch my diet and stay active, my acne has not cleared up, I spot 2-3 times a week, crave spicy foods a lot, sweets make me nauseous, I stay with headaches and constant mood swings. My obgyn switched me back to Safyral because I was never bloated, and in fact lost all my excess weight. The only side effect I had was that my periods were a bit heavy the first 2 days. So my obgyn tried me on Zarah. Would much rather deal with heavy periods."

Linzee B. June 25, 2014

"I started taking the pill at 11 years ago to help with dysmenhorrea (really painful periods) and after trying a few different pills to find one that worked for me I started using Yasmin. I used Yasmin for many years and it worked very well for me. Recently my insurance company decided that they would cover Zarah but not the Yasmin so my pharmacy switched me and told me that they were the same pill. When you look at the monograph included with the pills the only noticeable difference is with the non-medicinal ingredients so I agreed to the switch. I wish I hadn't. When I first started Zarah I was nauseated on and off for about a month. Then I noticed that I was getting quite bloated. My weight has gone up 2 or 3 pounds."

Kath22 June 13, 2014

"Overall no major side effects but I do think I've gained weight. I am very active -strength train 5 days/week & run 20km per week and eat quite healthy around 1500 calories/day and cannot shed this extra 10 lbs. I think it's the Zarah. As far as acne goes, I have mild acne & have not noticed an improvement."

NL83 June 4, 2014

"So I starting taking Zarah after Ocella was giving me an bad discharge with an odor. At first I thought I loved Zarah. I recently changed insurance and I can no longer get Zarah. I've began taking a new pill which I cannot remember the name of but I have now realized how many PROBLEMS I actually had with Zarah. I've learned that Zarah was causing weird breakouts around my chin that were just hard painful bumps that never turned into actual zits. It was causing my breasts to lactate, by the way I am 21, have been on birth control since 15 and have never been pregnant. After reading another review I have noticed my sex drive go wayyy up as well. "

c0202 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2014

"I have been taking Zarah for almost 3 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and working on getting healthier to try and have a child. When I first took Zarah I got these major headaches at first and tender breast but after three weeks the headaches went away. I haven't had my period in a little over a year because of my PCOS so when I got my first one it was painful but since than they have been easier. My skin looks great and haven't gained any weight. I still have tender breast but part due to my PCOS. I'd recommend it if you can bare with the first two or three weeks. It has been better than others I've tried. Also no mood swings either."

Amj23 May 3, 2014

"The pharmacy made an error last month, accidentally giving me Zarah vs. my regular Vestura. I don't know what it is about this pill, but my body went haywire -- mood swings, swollen tender breasts, a few lbs. weight gain (even though I am on a strict 1500 diet that didn't change), fatigue, sensory changes (smell/taste). My partner and I were both convinced I was pregnant until my period finally came! On the plus side -- my skin looks amazing and no spotting like I get on Vestura..but these side effects are too much!"

LisaB0716 March 18, 2014

"Zarah is officially my favorite birth control I've tried. Other pills and the NuvaRing gave me very bad side effects (acne, moodiness, weight gain), but I've been taking Zarah now for almost 3 months and I've experienced no bad side effects. It has only enhanced my life! My periods are now much shorter (3-4 days long) and lighter, my skin has been clearer than usual, and since taking Zarah I have had absolutely no period cramps, which I used to get very badly. This pill also doesn't affect my mood or weight. When I was on NuvaRing, my emotions immediately went crazy and I felt paranoid about everything, so I am very glad to have found something that doesn't turn me into an emotional wreck! Love Zarah, can't say a bad thing about it."

happyzarahuser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2014

"I've been on Yasmine for over 8 years, 2 months ago my local pharmacist suggested the switch to Zarah. Two months have now passed, I'm nauseous, I've gained 8 pounds and I'm also tired often, honestly I thought I was pregnant (I'm not)... The cheap switch is not worth the side effects. There is something different about this pill."

kameri December 11, 2013

"I know everyone is different, but generally speaking I would recommend this medicine. It cleared up my acne beautifully and has been a very reliable form of contraception. I haven't had any huge changes in emotions or weight gain. The only negative thing is that I do feel sometimes it affects my concentration in school, although I've found this to be the case for most birth controls. Overall, I'm happy with it. I have also been on Syeda and had a similar experience."

Katiemariexo September 2, 2013

"I started taking Zarah 2 months ago. Before that I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which made me very nauseous so I switched). When I started Zarah I was nauseous all the time. My sense of smell was heightened tenfold to the point where I couldn't even be around my dog or the trash can without feeling sick. I couldn't and still can't eat meat, salad, or any of the healthy foods I loved eating. I feel weak and lazy all the time and like I am carrying bricks on my shoulders. I originally got on Zarah and off the IUD because my doctor said it would help my acne but it didn't. The IUD was amazing besides not helping or even causing my acne. I also have constant headaches and eat junk food constantly and have gained 5 lbs. "

Bc newby (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2013

"After trying practically every birth control on the market and having horrible side effects, I've finally found Zarah! The first month of taking it I had a couple of side effects, which were bad mood swings and constipation. But I waited it out and sure enough, once I started the second pack, all those side effects were gone. I now have 3 day cramp free periods and the clearest skin I have ever had in my life. I highly recommend this birth control, but remember: give it at least a month!"

AnnaBue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2013

"Zarah was 4th and final stop for me. I tried 3 other pills and had horrible side effects. I had the worst break out of my life and rashes. I even had to change gynecologists. My new gyno, first and only one she has ever prescribed me was Zarah. I immediately saw results. My skin cleared up, even though I will get minor blemishes around period time. No more rashes and periods are WAY better, they are light and barely any cramps and they last 3- 4 days tops, come like clock work for me now. I do feel more bloating but its a small price to pay when there is really nothing else wrong with the pill. I would definitely recommend this pill. Possibly light weight gain but I think it's manageable and not extreme. Expect discharge a lot."

CherylElizabeth July 2, 2013

"I was on Gianvi for 10 months. The only problem I had was spotting. I switched to Zarah since its the same compounds just higher estradiol. I just started my second pack and am very happy with it. My face is glowing (compared to the occasional break outs) I was able to lose weight with exercise. My period was a lot lighter and no cramps, just a little bloat. I got headaches the first week. I've been moody but overall its good."

Sparklii (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2013