User Reviews for Zarah

Learn more about Zarah.

Zarah Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Zarah to treat Birth Control

"This is the first birth control I've been on, I mostly used it for acne at first. For the first 1 month it was fine then after that I started getting nauseous a few hours after taking the pill. Then the 3rd month I would get really nauseous that I would almost throw up and this was happening a few days a week and I missed to much school, so I finally stopped taking it. But besides being super nausea all the time I had moodswings, did nothing for my acne, bad cramps, and anxiety. The only good thing is was that it regulated my period."

Britneyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

"Acne totally gone... its amazing"

Ascfglo9934 April 23, 2016

"I've been on this birth control since I was 16 years old (I'm now 27). I have never had any problems with it. When I first started taking it my boobs grew by 2 cup sizes in a short period of time but that could have been coincidence. I very rarely have acne and I haven't experience any mood swings or loss in libido. I do ocassionally have breakthrough bleeding, but that's to be expected with any kind of hormonal birth control."

Kaitmag April 12, 2016

"I began Zarah when I kept having spotting while taking zovia. This pill might as well be called demonic possession. It was a living nightmare. My boobs got bigger but could barely be touched because they were so swollen and painful. The week I was on my period they stopped hurting and that was really the only time I was happy in my life. On. My. Period. But besides the breast tenderness I felt nauseous, tired, I would randomly vomit after meals, I had no control over my bladder. I once had to pee outside of a gas station because I could wait to walk inside and get the restroom key. I was the most moody irritable grumpy person I have ever been in my life. I almost dropped my sorority, ruined my relationship with my boyfriend. I once got angry because my boyfriend was trying to give me a back massage and I "didn't understand why he had to be touching me all the time". I also couldn't have sex for longer than 5 minutes because I would get dry. Low libido, low tolerance for any person in my life. Even the people I liked, started becoming the people I hated. At a Buffalo Wild Wings I practically threw a fit at the waiter because "the mild wings were too spicy". He timidly came back to let me try a new sauce before they made a new batch. I ended up not eating the wings I was so pissed of. I haven't been to a Buffalo Wild Wings since. Today is my first day on a new pill and I'm hoping this time it will be a different experience."

Angry Kate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"I've taken this for about four years and no problem. Recently I have forgotten to take it for like 3days and spotting does arrive, other than that I highly recommend. #teamzarah I'm 34 if that helps, but hey all bodies are different."

Zarah bc taker lol (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

"I was put on Zarah because I needed a low dosage pill, after being on Loestrin that made me sick. I have been taking it for 2 years, now all of a sudden I'm having breakthrough bleeding out of nowhere like I just started the pill"

Anonymous March 12, 2016

"I was on Zarah for about eighteen months, and I didn't get pregnant so I'd say it's effective :) Unfortunately, I've finally decided it's not the right solution for me. I felt AMAZING for the first month on it, but since then I've been on a steady decline and I just couldn't even think about taking it anymore after last month. Side effects have included muscle twitches, extreme fatigue (I've ALWAYS been a 4-6 hours/night kind of person but on the pill I need 12 hours- it's crazy), massive spontaneous hematomas, depressive episodes, shortness of breath, difficulty maintaining/developing muscle (I'm very athletic ordinarily so this was not cool) and generally depressed mood. Not worth it for me."

Still Searching (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 29, 2016

"I took this particular kind of birth control because it is suppose to be similar to Yasmin and my health providers covered it at no cost. I suffer with mild acne and zarah made it worse. The only time my skin would clear was during the off week I wasn't taking. I also think zarah may be the cause of gaining around 10 pounds. I tried zarah for about 4 months and saw no improvements."

Lee1616 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2016

"Worse birth control ever! I had breast tenderness, vaginal dryness, 0 to none sex drive, mood swings, and weight gain. I was on this pill for 1 year before I thought it was ruining my relationship with my husband because I had no libido what so ever and vaginal dryness. I experienced dry skin as well. My periods were long 7-8 days /regular. I am now on a new pill lo lolestrin fe I think it's called and noticed a significant improvement. No breast swelling, no long periods, happier moods, not as angry or tired and have regained my libido ..I think even more than before I started taking birth control. It's amazing! . Just in case someone has the same side affects as me on zarah"

ani7821689 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

"This is the absolute worst birth control you could possibly take. I was on Ocella for one month before I had to switch pharmacies due to my new insurance and Ocella was fine. Once I started on Zarah, I had constant anxiety/palpitations. It got so bad to the point that I was seeing my doctor and thinking that I had a heart problem (had an echo done, normal). This birth control literally made me feel like I was going crazy and that I had all kinds of health problems. It made my left hand tingle, and I was also constantly exhausted to the point where I was almost sleeping 20 hours a day. OH and my blood pressure sky rocketed. Went off this birth control and got the Skyla IUD. I didn't get pregnant on this BC which is literally THE only good thing"

NOOO (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"I was on this birth control when I was a teenager and felt great. I had since been diagnosed with endometriosis and had to stop birth control for treatment. When I finished the 6 month treatment I had to start birth control again. I tried a bunch of different birth control pills to try to minimize bleeding and pain. I had issues with acne, depression and anxiety, weight loss, breakthrough bleeding, severe cramping, painful sex, and a million other things. I asked to be put back on Zarah and should have done it years ago. My skin is completely clear, I have no depression and anxiety, it did not change my weight, there is no breakthrough bleeding, severe cramping, or painful sex. I feel 10x better than being on no birth control. The best!!!"

JO38792793 December 1, 2015

"I never write reviews but had to share my terrible experience so that others don't make the same mistake that I've made. I had been on Yasmin for years, my doctor suggested I switch to a generic since it's free (as opposed to $50) so I gave it a shot for a month. I have one more day on Zarah and here are the side effects I've experienced in that time: nausea, severe moodiness, dizziness, yeast infection, swollen tongue (?!), cystic acne, loss of appetite yet weight gain. I'm a healthy, active 31-year old woman without any other medical issues. Avoid this pill!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

"I have tane Zarah for almost a year now and I had to share my experience with others. this pill is extremely affective with me as a birth control and as an acne pill. My boobs have gotten a little bigger than they were, but that is depending on your body. It works different for each person and for me it has been an amazing experience."

Jackie K October 20, 2015

"I NEVER take time out of my day to write reviews on products however I felt it was necessary for this. Overall I am extremely unhappy with Zarah. I am not sexually active therefore I took it more for my acne. Before Zarah I was on Ocella which I LOVED but had to switch due to location purposes. Ocella cleared my face up and did not give me any mood swings. However, once I started Zarah I broke out SO bad on my chin and forehead, Its been about three weeks since I stopped and I am still suffering from acne. If you are taking this pill merely just for acne, DO NOT DO IT. I also got awful mood swings. I do not advise."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

"I started this birth control a few months ago and it has made me into a hormonal mess! One of the side effects is anger and I didn't realize it till yesterday when I didn't speak to my husband for 30 mins all because he wouldn't turn the radio station off when I didn't want to listen to a song. I have never gotten so upset over something to silly. There's other instances but that was just the one that made me realize I need to get on a different pill."

Jacquelynn M September 29, 2015

"I'm 25 and am basically taking birth control for acne. I have tried many different pills but this was my least favorite, I took it for 2 months. I am small framed about 98lbs and 5'. I feel this was too much hormone for my small body. First month I was getting anxiety around my period time, crying spells, very crampy, a heavy flow, and mood swings(my poor boyfriend). This has never happened with any pill I've taken the anxiousness scared me. I gave it another month and not really much of a change. My acne did not clear up at all! No weight gain and sex drive was great. Overall not for me. I switched to monessa, few weeks ago, a much lower dose BC pill and so far so good! Everyone's different good luck!"

Moniquegrad89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

"I've been on birth control pills for 10 years; Yasmin, Yaz, whatever came next, then Zarah. My acne decreased with the exception of the placebo pill week. My cramping was never as bad and I never got pregnant which is the main point! Now, I've been off the pill for 4 months trying to conceive. I haven't had a single mouth ulcer. I NEVER went more than 2 weeks without one. I knew if I bit my lip I'd have one within a few hours. If it was the week of my menstration, I'd have at least one. Usually I had at least 2 at any given time. Also, almost every time I'd go to the dentist, I'd have a new cavity. I've looked it up and I believe that the hormones from the pill increased my mouth difficulties."

Jessabean (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2015

"I've been taking Zarah for 7 months. It's the only birth control I've ever taken (I'm 17). Last fall I broke out in some of the worst acne I've ever experienced. I had deep rooted cystic acne all over my chin and jaw (area known for hormonal breakouts). I started taking it at the end of February and by mid-April my skin was clear, flawless for the first time in my life. That aside, the week before my period (peach pills) I become moody and emotional and cry extremely easily which has never happened before and is very annoying. My cramps are more intense and my period is heavier and lasts longer (went from ~4 days to ~7 days). I haven't noticed a weight difference but my boobs have grown about a cup size. It's a mixed bag for me."

emilytree August 30, 2015

"I have had no problems with this BC. It seems like every brand affects people differently. I switched from Loestrin after I started losing hair. Zarah solved the hair loss. Zarah has cleared up my acne, which is a feat by itself. I do have horrible cramps and bloating. My biggest complaint is my periods last FULL 7 days. That's utter misery to me, especially when they were barely 2 days long on Loestrin."

Sarah1987 August 25, 2015

"I was switched to zarah for my PCOS and was really happy to try something new. I had taken lutera for three years for heavy and painful periods and then for the past 6 months had not gotten a period, which is common with PCOS. My doctor recommended I try zarah. Just in the first month, I was way more moody and retaining a lot of water weight. Then my periods came. It was the worst period I've had since I started birth control. Painful cramps and heavy bleeding to the point I needed to change a super plus tampon every hour. I am going back to the doctor to get this changed, since I waited the three months to see if anything would change. The only positive was that it was an effective birth control."

Duneybear August 11, 2015

"I usually never give reviews on any products but this is something Women need to know of before even going on this pill! I have been on a lot of different birth controls in the past, I have never in my life experienced such a HORRID birth control in all my life. The pharmacy ended up giving me Zarrah 21 instead last time I filled my prescription & for the 1st month I thought 100% I was pregnant! I was getting "morning sickness" & gained probably about 5-10 pounds just in the first month and I am completely exhausted and lethargic almost 24/7 now. Honestly I can deal with the sickness & the little weight gain but the acne! I have never had acne in my life but this is unreal...its painful and horrible all over my face!! Dont go on this pill!!"

Hillvhh August 8, 2015

"I've been on this pill for over a year now and so far so good. When I first started it I was pretty moody and had some acne but after the first few months my skin was always clear and there was waay less moodiness. (Still some but I think that's just how I am lol) This was the first birth control I took and I took it ever since!"

Anne11122 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2015

"My biggest concern was weight gain. I've just finished my first month of Zarah, and have actually lost a pound or two, but I'm pretty sure it's just water weight. The Good Stuff about Zarah: Reduced/No water retention. No increased appetite. My breasts haven't been swollen/tender. PMDD symptoms are much milder. The Neutral/Bleh Stuff about Zarah: still have some moodiness while the hormones adjust. Definitely having bouts of nausea. But I'll take nausea over no weight gain/slight weight loss any day."

EB83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I'm 19 and have been on Zarah for 2 years due to endometriosis. I don't notice my periods being much lighter while on it but that's probably due to my condition. I have had zero weight gain on this medication and my skin is always clear. It made me a little nauseous I'm the beginning, but nothing like what other bc pills did to me. This is by far my favorite!"

Cassie778 June 3, 2015

"I am 21, very fit and active. Although I've had two kids, I only weigh about 140, and I work out daily (4-5 days a week) I walk 3.5 miles a day and go to the gym. I began taking Zarah in hopes that it wouldn't cause weight gain, however, I have gained 5lbs in the first week. Not to mention I cannot lose the weight no matter how hard I try! Keep in mind I also diet. I have retained so much fluid, and this medicine caused crazy mood swings and irritability. I also bled when I wasn't on my period. I stopped using zarah about a week ago... I've lost those 5lbs, no more mood swings and I feel much better."

Camilax13 May 16, 2015