User Reviews for Yaz

Menstrual Disorders 28 reviews 72 medications

6.6
Summary of Yaz reviews 317 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Yaz

"I was taking YAZ before for over a year. I stopped to try Seasonique. I loved getting my period every three months. But I had unbearable cramps and a cyst that would not shrink in size that was awful! My doctor wanted me to try Ortho Tri cyclen, which I hated before, but I tried it for 2 months. I just stated a new pack of YAZ after seeing my doctor. I never had a decrease in my sex drive or weight gain before. I was very comfortable with it."

Anonymous December 29, 2009

For Birth Control "I used Yaz on and off for several years and the first month was always the hardest: fatigue and extreme irritability. Your energy reserves should not be spent trying to keep rage in check. Nevertheless, after that adjustment period, I leveled out somewhat and experiences some pro's: clearer skin, fuller breasts, no noticeable weight gain (though I diet like a jockey) and of course no babies. Period was mercifully light (2-3 days) and PMS was slightly minimized (but still acknowledged by boyfriend). My libido slowly started to ebb. By the 2nd or 3rd month, moderate depression. By the 4th, severe. By the time I started having suicidal thoughts, I decided to switch to a less psychologically harmful method of birth control: abstinence."

Anonymous December 28, 2009

For Birth Control "I was on the Depo shot for about 3 yrs and went off it (only because it is recommended to take breaks from it) and went on Yaz. I am aware that each BC affects everyone differently, I had a horrible experience. Breakthrough bleeding, severe mood swings, headaches, and unpredictable periods. I got off it after 3 months and am about to try Sprintec...here's hoping this works out better!"

Anonymous December 26, 2009

For Birth Control "I have been on Yaz for about three years now and I love it. I have experienced great decrease in my PMS. I was a monster before starting Yaz and now I'm normal with occasional periods having slight mood swings or cramps. My boobs have grown and my acne has subsided. I get a few pimples every now and then commonly when my period comes. I do get some bloating but if I take something like Midol then I have none. I'm able to know exactly when my period starts. I have only experienced one occurrence in 3 years of using Yaz, of spotting when not missing a pill. I haven't noticed any weight gain due to the pill. The only thing I am worried about is the scare of blood clotting lately."

Anonymous December 19, 2009

For Birth Control "This is the worst medication I have ever tried to take. It made me severely depressed, almost to the point of being suicidal. I am normally very happy, so the reaction was alarming. Also, I cried incessantly and had terrible vaginal dryness, loss of appetite, and insomnia. I didn't eat or sleep for about 3 days, and I was all swollen from crying. (Keep in mind that these symptoms happened on my honeymoon.) My new husband (who wanted me to be on some form of birth control) begged me to stop taking it. I stopped taking it, and within 3 months was back to normal. "

pemberley2189 December 18, 2009

For Birth Control "It's my first day and I have thrown up 3 times since I've taken it. I don't know if this is normal but I'm just giving it a month, then go back to my birth control shots which I love. I'm 22 and have been on the shots since I was 18."

Anonymous December 16, 2009

For Birth Control "I'm 27 years old and have been on Yaz for a year. Overall my periods were lighter and shorter, but Yaz has severely decreased my sex drive. It also makes me feel emotionally flat. I'm switching to another pill."

Anonymous December 11, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Yaz gave me my life back. Before I started taking it, I had reached a point where I just couldn't imagine living the rest of my life with the upheaval caused by PMDD. While it doesn't take 100% of the symptoms away, it makes life livable again. I had to stop taking it for a month, recently, because of a prescribing miscommunication, and I was reminded just how much it does help, and how much my quality of life declines without it. The drawback, however, is the cost. My insurance does not cover it, and the cost steadily increases. It's an awful catch-22, to need something so badly in order to be able to fully live one's live, but to have to struggle to afford it. I'm waiting anxiously for a generic to be available!"

Anonymous December 3, 2009

For Birth Control "This pill was horrible! I got cysts and had terrible bleeding and pain and was very moody on it. "

Army Fiancee December 2, 2009

For Birth Control "I've been using Yaz for about 6 months now. Here's what I have experienced. I do have headaches. My sex drive has increased, believe it or not. My skin is clear. Also before taking Yaz. I wouldn't have my period for 3 months, then when I did have it, it was unbearable. Now, my monthly cycles are very light, but the cramping is still the same. I believe Yaz has helped me tremendously."

Anonymous December 1, 2009

For Menstrual Disorders "I was put on Yaz because I was having irregular menstrual cycles. I just finished my first pack. The entire month I have had nausea, vomiting, acne and horrible cramps. I think that I would rather have my period for 20 days each month rather than take this pill."

Anonymous November 30, 2009

For Acne "I'm 19 years old, and I've been taking Yaz for about 2 years or so. At first, it helped clear my acne but made my PMDD worse, but eventually my moods evened out into a constant apathy, and my acne began to come back (possibly because of stress). I've lost weight and noticed an increase in breast size, but my sex drive has completely died out within the past year or so. I feel stressed when I don't take the pill on time or whenever I stop taking it for the four days allotted for my period (during which my period doesn't arrive until at least the third day and last a couple days into the new month of pills). But my period is light and relatively pain-free."

Anonymous November 29, 2009

For Acne "I took Yaz for 2 months for acne and it worked really good for that. I loved how I didn't have anymore acne problems. I did gain about 6lbs. and went up in bra size big time. Everyone started calling me "Dolly" seriously that was all I could see on myself! It was very painful and my breasts felt like they were going to pop! I quit taking it and they went back down to normal!"

Anonymous November 29, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Took Yaz for PMDD and helped my symptoms related to my PMDD. But, please BE AWARE: I ended up with a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE). I am a 38 year old woman who is very athletic and extremely healthy...it's not just a warning for " smokers"!"

drugged and not happy November 26, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "My doctor started me on Yaz about a month and half ago for my PMDD disorder. I do not have the weight gain that I would get every month 10 days before my period and mood swings and the overwhelming feeling of unattractiveness 10 days before my period went away, one side effect that was odd was insomnia and only one panic attack. I'm not sure if the insomnia or panic attack is related to Yaz because I had both 3 to 4 years ago but it went away. I am 35 years old and have never used the pill before taking Yaz."

lakers1974 November 23, 2009

For Birth Control "The first couple of months I took this I had some mood swings and felt rather emotional but that went away. After about 3 months, the acne I had been dealing with my entire life was 100% gone and has not returned for over a year. If there have been any weight changes, it's been lost weight. And it made my boobs bigger. Love it."

Anonymous November 17, 2009

For Birth Control "I have been on Yaz for a couple months. I decided to switch to Yaz to gain weight and clear up my mild acne. Overall I have had a positive experience with it. In the beginning, my periods lasted only a couple days, but now, I have no period at all. Also, my face is clear, but I did not gain weight from the pill. The weight I have gained was from muscle weight from working out. I'd say the only negative were my massive headaches when I did have my period. The headaches would come on my first day of my period. But now, with no period, I have no headache!"

Anonymous November 17, 2009

For Acne "I have been taking Yaz for about a year now. My skin cleared, my periods have always been light, my cramps are normal, or easier to deal with. However, I cannot gain weight, and my breast's grew about a cup size. I know these things don't sound like a bad experience, and I am not saying I dislike this contraceptive, but obviously, not being able to weigh more then 115lbs isn't exactly normal. I also just don't really have much of an appetite. I am especially hungry in the morning. I occasionally get tension headaches, however, not sure if that has any relation to this. "

Anonymous November 13, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I took Yaz because of my problems with tiredness and heavy mood swings. While on the pill and I noticed it made them 1000000 times worse. However, it did make my periods light which was super nice for a change. I took this pill for only 3-4 months then had to switch because my boyfriend and family were sick of me being moody all the time."

Anonymous November 12, 2009

For Birth Control "I have been taking Yaz for a little less than a year, but I love it! I'm 18 and a freshman in college, I barely ever have the side effects, and I can tell you when I will start my period pretty much down to the hour. I have suffered little weight gain (but then again, I'm a freshman). I've noticed that my side effects aren't as bad when I do daily exercise. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I love this pill and would recommend it for anyone!"

Anonymous November 11, 2009

For Birth Control "I've been on Yaz for about a year and a half and I really like it except that sometimes my periods are so light, short or non-existent, that I get anxious wondering if I'm pregnant. After reading these reviews I feel better because I realize that is one of the good and bad side effects; good that there isn't much of a period but bad because your left wondering if you're pregnant. I was put on birth control because I get cysts that don't go away but Yaz has helped keep them from growing large. Other positives: my skin is clear except for one or two small pimples around period time, my mood is more regular (prior to Yaz, I would feel like crying/emotional right before my period) and my cysts are controlled. I would recommend Yaz."

Anonymous November 8, 2009

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I highly recommend Yaz for anyone experiencing awful pms/pmdd. I was on a generic pill, Lutera, for around 6 months, and each month my symptoms got worse and worse. The last week that I was on it was one of the worst weeks of my life, mood swings, roller coaster emotions, suicidal thoughts, and I begged my doctor to put in an IUD. She had me try Yaz, and I'm glad she did. For the first month I cramped more than usual and my breasts were tender, but the change in my emotional level is amazing. I can actually function! This drug was life-changing for me."

Anonymous November 7, 2009

For Acne "I have been on Yaz for a year and it has been a good pill for me. I originally started taking it becuase of acne, I really used to think that my skin was a hopeless case and I never even wanted to leave the house. It took about 2 months to see any real improvements in my skin but after the third month I completely stopped breaking out, and now I can't even remember the last time I had a pimple or a breakout when I used to break out every single day and I'm talking bad acne all over my face. This pill has been wonderful in curing my acne, but the only complaint I have is that it caused me to gain weight quickly 130 to 145 (in 4 months) and now my thighs and hips are covered in stretch marks. My advice is to workout regularly and eat right."

Anonymous November 5, 2009

For Birth Control "I was on Yaz for about three months. I became moody, emotional, it gave me headaches, lowered my sex drive, and gave me anxiety. I just did not feel like myself on this pill. I have since switched to LOESTRIN and so far, its been good. No side effects yet. I'm feeling like myself again. My sex drive is still not what it used to be but I understand that most birth control pills cause a decrease in libido. I personally do not recommend YAZ but I know that each pill works differently for different people, but my friends that were on YAZ said the same things that I am saying."

unwanted major side effects November 4, 2009

For Birth Control "I was on Yaz for about 2 years and loved it except for the severe drop in sex drive. Other than that I had no complaints on it."

Anonymous November 3, 2009