User Reviews for Ocella

Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

"I used ocella years ago and it was great at first. My cramps weren't as painful or etc but then I started getting severe stomach pain and guess what? I found out I had gallstones due to Ocella and had to have my gallbladder removed when I was 20 and I'm 25 now. So if any ladies experience stomach pain on the right side you might have gallstones due to this pill"

Raez May 7, 2016

"I'm not even all the way through my first pack and I have a love hate relationship with Ocella. My docs gave me this medication to prevent future cysts; I had a 9cm and two 4cm cysts (existent since birth). I have spotting EVERY DAY! I can't tell when my period started "

Aleykins May 2, 2016

"I have been on this birth control for 8 years now. I take it for acne, birth control, menstrual disorder premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I love this birth control they tried to put me on something else and I said no! I love this BC and I want to stay on it. Regulated my periods, took away migraines, took away me throwing up whenever my period came, and I never gained weight from it. I recommend this BC to anyone."

Sarah237!!!! January 28, 2016

"I started BC because I had severe headaches, nausea, and dizziness when on my periods. I never had heavy bleeding or clotting... but I would get so dizzy I would be close to fainting if I was on my feet too much. The doctors simply said it could be my hormones changing and prescribed me ocella. I haven't noticed any weight gain or anything. It regulated my pain and dizziness during my periods. However, after 4 months I've been very nauseous and have had severe headaches and stomach pain. I could be coming down with something so I couldn't say it's 100% from the pill. Overall it's worked great for me and definitely aleviated my pain during menstration."

Nikki1814 January 15, 2016

"Starting in elementary school, my acne was horrible. At age 13, it morphed into a rare form of cystic acne. Came back a couple years after the first bout was defeated. Currently just 18, and have been on Ocella since mid August. Since being put on Ocella, my acne has decreased immensely, and stayed as regular types of breakouts rather than the cystic variety. Haven't experienced any major side effects, although I am more prone to getting emotional over the sweet, mushy gushy stuff. At first, my sex drive was higher (even though I've never actually acted on it), but that has calmed down now. My periods are a bit lighter, and are slightly more predictable down to the start and end days. I would definitely recommend this birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

"I'm still currently taking this drug, and there have been really no side affects other than an upset stomach if I don't eat when I take it, and it also makes me very touchy and angry. I used to never get raging mad but ever since I've been on the pill the simplest things set me off and I go made with out even realizing it's happening."

Bellsies (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

"This is my first month taking it and I have gained weight, I have been super moody I keep lashing out at people and I dont even mean too, its making my acne worse. I have had really bad headaches."

M.B.S December 11, 2015

"I had a great experience on Ocella. My insurances does full coverage of it for me so it's free every month, huge plus! I was also prone ever since my first period, which was pretty late, I would skip months at a time and then have terrible cramps, periods, and awful moods. Prescription midol couldn't even provide me with relief. I got on a BC that caused me to gain weight even though I was dieting and exercising and stopped it. I then a few months later got on Ocella. I have my period every month and lasts about 4 days. It's pretty heavy with minimal cramps. I haven't gained weight but I can seem to lose any either but that's not really a problem for me at this time. No out of the ordinary mood swings, sickness, or tiredness."

Osburn15 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2015

"I'm writing this because as I do more research to try to find a new BC, I realize most people leave bad reviews! I had been on Ocella for almost 10 years when my doc recently told me it's known to cause blood clots. Until then I had otherwise a good experience with it. I think the most noticeable things I can remember or slight dryness and a decreased sex drive. But no emotional turmoil or headaches - which is what I'm facing now. I miss Ocella!"

SydneyAnne (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2015

"Not a huge fan. I started taking Ocella about 9 months ago only as birth control. It was my first experience being on the pill. Good: NEVER GOT PREGNANT! Meh: I went up a full cup size (C to a D, but I already have a small frame so I didn't celebrate) Bad: It gave me terrible nausea, headaches and migraines. I started having awful mood swings and felt like I was always lashing out. Period didn't change, I still had an extremely heavy flow for at least a week with little to no spotting before or after and said goodbye to too many pairs of cute panties. Worst of all, it brought an a horrible bout of depression that I'm still dealing with. I recently switched to another birth control with lower estrogen, so hopefully it goes better this time."

BeeBabe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

"I've been taking this for the past six months and I'm so ready to ditch it! Yes, it cleared up my acne but I've gained almost 10 lbs and cannot get rid of them! I've tried exercise and changed my eating habits, but no success. It's also made me really irritable and tired. Thankfully I'm meeting with my doctor next month!"

Xxyyzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2015

"If you're considering using this I wouldn't recommend it. On the first week of using this I would find myself hysterically crying on the bathroom floor at night. I got really depressed while on it on the first week. On the second week literally on the 10th day of using this I got hives. I didn't stop using it hoping it would just go away. Wrong. It got so bad I was hospitalized for it"

Do.Not.Use.It (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"The only reason I didn't rate this pill a 1, is because it did clear up my skin, which is initially why I switched to Ocella. I was on BeYaz for 3 months and loved it, and when I learned my insurance did not cover it, I quickly had to switch to a similar generic birth control. Which I thought Ocella was always compared to BeYaz. So let me just say it did wonders for my skin. HOWEVER, within a week of taking the pill, I noticed a huge change in my mood. I was really sad all of the time, especially at work. It only went down from there. After 5 weeks on Ocella, I had an anxiety attack at my boyfriends house and the following week I experienced the heaviest depression I have ever felt in my life. I had horrible thoughts, felt hopeless and dowN"

Ihateocella14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"pros -much lighter period -shorter period (4-5 days) -almost no cramps -no pregnancy scares -clearer skin CONS -really sore boobs all of the time -high blood pressure -lost a lot of hair and my hair about half as thick as it use to be"

alexandra1210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

"No side effects(nausea, headaches,etc) Regulated my period"

archii May 5, 2015

"I started taking this when I was 17 years old (now almost 22) and ordinary antibiotics weren't helping my acne problems. Before, I had unpredictable periods (often skipping once every several months for no reason), painful cramps, and a period lasting up to 7 whole days. Now I have a 99% clear face, a regular light-medium period lasting 4-5 days and NO cramps! I am not sexually active (never have been), so I'm not sure how effective it is for me actual birth control-wise, but my sex drive is much lower. I may end up finding a new brand once I get married later this year because of this side effect alone."

Strebla1234 April 21, 2015

"I used to be on TriPrevifem and i could only last a month on that. the nausea was so bad and i was only like 3 weeks into my first pack. now i'm on my second pack of ocella and i've had virtually NO side effects which is amazing! no weight gain thank god. The only thing is my cramps during my period were down right deadly but i hear that gets better over time. I am sooo happy, i forget i'm even on birth control and that's an awesome thing."

jkdsjlfda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

"I've been on Ocella for about two months now (and I was on it for about two years a while ago), but this time around I'm suffering from terrible nausea. No mood changes, lost some weight, no pimples, etc...but the nausea is ridiculous. I've been taking it now around 11 at night, so that I can try to sleep through it, but sometimes it will wake me up at 3 or 4, and I'll be so sick. Hoping that I adjust to this soon, because otherwise I really enjoy using it!"

Blah08888 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2014

"This may be premature I've only been on it for a week, but I have been super moody. Irritable, cried 3x in past week and have developed a lot of pimples on my forehead and nose. I usually never break out only when on my period and not as much as this. I also am highly anxious...I'm an anxious person to begin with but with the pill for this week I've been near panic attack a lot and that hasn't happened in a decade. I'm Hoping my body gets used to the pill and these awful side effects will go away. Will update after the month"

Kristallau (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2014

"I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain."

kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2014

"I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)"

Xyrnyth July 28, 2014

"I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age."

Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2014

"I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this."

Sdolbee13 May 1, 2014

"I have been on Ocella for a year now. I used to take Yaz which is in the family and loved it. I have definitely gained weight and having a hard time losing it. My moods are fine, I don't feel sick at all. I actually feel very normal. The downs I found beside the weight is I have zero sex drive! And I do get chest pains."

Kate77777 February 25, 2014

"Originally on Syeda, was switched to Ocella last month and this month and have had a continuous yeast infection."

Sammy3663 November 2, 2013