User Reviews for Ocella

Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

"The only reason I didn't rate this pill a 1, is because it did clear up my skin, which is initially why I switched to Ocella. I was on BeYaz for 3 months and loved it, and when I learned my insurance did not cover it, I quickly had to switch to a similar generic birth control. Which I thought Ocella was always compared to BeYaz. So let me just say it did wonders for my skin. HOWEVER, within a week of taking the pill, I noticed a huge change in my mood. I was really sad all of the time, especially at work. It only went down from there. After 5 weeks on Ocella, I had an anxiety attack at my boyfriends house and the following week I experienced the heaviest depression I have ever felt in my life. I had horrible thoughts, felt hopeless and dowN"

Ihateocella14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"pros -much lighter period -shorter period (4-5 days) -almost no cramps -no pregnancy scares -clearer skin CONS -really sore boobs all of the time -high blood pressure -lost a lot of hair and my hair about half as thick as it use to be"

alexandra1210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

"No side effects(nausea, headaches,etc) Regulated my period"

archii May 5, 2015

"I started taking this when I was 17 years old (now almost 22) and ordinary antibiotics weren't helping my acne problems. Before, I had unpredictable periods (often skipping once every several months for no reason), painful cramps, and a period lasting up to 7 whole days. Now I have a 99% clear face, a regular light-medium period lasting 4-5 days and NO cramps! I am not sexually active (never have been), so I'm not sure how effective it is for me actual birth control-wise, but my sex drive is much lower. I may end up finding a new brand once I get married later this year because of this side effect alone."

Strebla1234 April 21, 2015

"I used to be on TriPrevifem and i could only last a month on that. the nausea was so bad and i was only like 3 weeks into my first pack. now i'm on my second pack of ocella and i've had virtually NO side effects which is amazing! no weight gain thank god. The only thing is my cramps during my period were down right deadly but i hear that gets better over time. I am sooo happy, i forget i'm even on birth control and that's an awesome thing."

jkdsjlfda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

"I've been on Ocella for about two months now (and I was on it for about two years a while ago), but this time around I'm suffering from terrible nausea. No mood changes, lost some weight, no pimples, etc...but the nausea is ridiculous. I've been taking it now around 11 at night, so that I can try to sleep through it, but sometimes it will wake me up at 3 or 4, and I'll be so sick. Hoping that I adjust to this soon, because otherwise I really enjoy using it!"

Blah08888 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2014

"This may be premature I've only been on it for a week, but I have been super moody. Irritable, cried 3x in past week and have developed a lot of pimples on my forehead and nose. I usually never break out only when on my period and not as much as this. I also am highly anxious...I'm an anxious person to begin with but with the pill for this week I've been near panic attack a lot and that hasn't happened in a decade. I'm Hoping my body gets used to the pill and these awful side effects will go away. Will update after the month"

Kristallau (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2014

"I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain."

kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2014

"I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)"

Xyrnyth July 28, 2014

"I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age."

Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2014

"I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this."

Sdolbee13 May 1, 2014

"I have been on Ocella for a year now. I used to take Yaz which is in the family and loved it. I have definitely gained weight and having a hard time losing it. My moods are fine, I don't feel sick at all. I actually feel very normal. The downs I found beside the weight is I have zero sex drive! And I do get chest pains."

Kate77777 February 25, 2014

"Originally on Syeda, was switched to Ocella last month and this month and have had a continuous yeast infection."

Sammy3663 November 2, 2013

"No significant weight gain, No cramping during period, Period lasts for a shorter amount of time, No heavy bleeding (no spotting, either). Overall, I'm very happy with Ocella. I'm 24 and have been taking it for 5 years. At this point, I'm not even sure how my body would react to not being on birth control since it has been so long."

bb88 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2013

"I tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen 2 years ago. I switched to Ocella 3 weeks later because Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me nauseous and made my gums itchy. I have experienced weight gain (8 lbs) caused by eating all my cravings. I've taken it from 2011 to now and haven't had any bad experiences."

Frenchie88 August 25, 2013

"I've been on it for 2 months now, I switched to Ocella to treat moderate acne, so far I have noticed a slight decrease in breakouts but also noticed I have no self control over what I eat anymore and have gained weight I am an active person and I have noticed a change in weight. Also very moody and I have a short temper and am very moody, I snap at everyone even at work."

monica1989 May 20, 2013

"I'm 20, 5ft and 97lbs. I've been on Ocella for 4ish years now. I originally was on Yaz then Yasmin the. When Ocella came out I switched. For me, the experience was normal. I was moody on my periods (nothing new) and a big decrease in acne! But now I am thinking of switching to a stronger birth control, even though I've been on Ocella for so long and love the product I think my body needs a change in medication. I'm becoming a little more irritated then the first 2 years, my nipples are especially tender after my period which never happened before. It's time for a change. Overall a great product if you would like to see a decrease in acne, no weight gain, no pregnancy scares, no depression or moodiness for the most part. Good for older teens!"

LilHannah February 2, 2013

"6 years. No health issues or pregnancy scares."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 30, 2013

"4yrs no issues"

Belizabethd (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2013

"Have been taking Ocella for four months now due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been experiencing elevated blood pressure and this is causing some other ill feelings such as nausea and shortness of breath, which immediately triggers anxiety attacks. Surprisingly I feel fine emotionally for the majority of the time. My breast size has increased, my sex drive is up, my periods are lighter and my skin is clearer. The negative symptoms I have been experiencing have not been frequent, they have only occurred recently. However, the severe elevation in my blood pressure is cause for concern and I may switch next month to a new pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2012

"I've been on Ocella for about 4 months now, after being on Microgestin for 4 years. I don't have too many complaints with either, although I will say that my skin is far clearer on Ocella than it ever was on Microgestin. My periods on Ocella are quite light and last only 4-5 days; cramps are usually mild. No headaches, nausea, mood swings, or noticeable change in sex drive, which seem to be a problem for a lot of other women. Also, I actually dropped a couple of pounds after starting Ocella with no lifestyle or diet change. My only concern is that I do have a history of ovarian cysts, which Microgestin effectively quashed; only time will tell whether or not Ocella causes any change. 23 years old, otherwise healthy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2012

"I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I have tried A LOT of different birth control. I used this particular formulation for about a year. Unlike the others, I did not bleed through this one. I did however cry at everything! I cried when I saw cute kids playing, when Kelso did cute things for Jackie on That 70's Show, and when I got good grades on tests. Everything made me cry. Also, my breasts were tender all the time, and I never wanted sex, but that has been the case for all 7 years of birth control. I did not notice any substantial weight gain."

Anonymous September 29, 2012

"Pros: Periods were lighter, cramps hardly existed, not pregnant. I got on the pill for these reasons. So, yes it worked for that. In addition, I lost about 27 pounds. However, CONS: I was SUPER depressed and that depression hit hard. I've always been a happy, outgoing person, but Ocella made me upset at random times and now that I'm off it, my period is heavier than before and the cramps are worse. I've also gained weight since going off the pill. I'm 18, 5'7, 189 lbs. I would not recommend it. Of course there was the noticeable decline in sex drive, but that didn't bother me much."

hnm12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2012

"I have used Ocella for years and have not had any major problems. The most I have felt is some breast tenderness close to my period which I have always had and sometimes some mild nausea my first 2 days or so on the pill during the first active week. I am happy with the effectiveness. I had irregular and very heavy periods that would last 11 days. This medicine has given me light and regular periods normally lasting 5 days. I haven't experienced any emotional side effects or severe physical effects."

CourtneyMK (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2012

"It wasn't a bad birth control other than the mood swing and anxiety. 6 months into it I started to have a really hard time breathing and chest pain and swelling of arms and legs. I checked out side effects and these are some of the more severe ones. I took myself off of it a week ago, and I feel so much better, I'm less anxious and moody and the pain and swelling."

Anonymous April 24, 2012