User Reviews for Ocella

Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Birth Control

Review by Kristallau (taken for less than 1 month):

This may be premature I've only been on it for a week, but I have been super moody. Irritable, cried 3x in past week and have developed a lot of pimples on my forehead and nose. I usually never break out only when on my period and not as much as this. I also am highly anxious...I'm an anxious person to begin with but with the pill for this week I've been near panic attack a lot and that hasn't happened in a decade. I'm Hoping my body gets used to the pill and these awful side effects will go away. Will update after the month

September 8, 2014 2:16 AM

Review by kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by Xyrnyth:

I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:30 PM

Review by Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age.

July 28, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by Sdolbee13:

I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by Kate77777:

I have been on Ocella for a year now. I used to take Yaz which is in the family and loved it. I have definitely gained weight and having a hard time losing it. My moods are fine, I don't feel sick at all. I actually feel very normal. The downs I found beside the weight is I have zero sex drive! And I do get chest pains.

February 25, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Sammy3663:

Originally on Syeda, was switched to Ocella last month and this month and have had a continuous yeast infection.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 7:17 AM

Review by bb88 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

No significant weight gain, No cramping during period, Period lasts for a shorter amount of time, No heavy bleeding (no spotting, either). Overall, I'm very happy with Ocella. I'm 24 and have been taking it for 5 years. At this point, I'm not even sure how my body would react to not being on birth control since it has been so long.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Frenchie88:

I tried Ortho Tri-Cyclen 2 years ago. I switched to Ocella 3 weeks later because Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me nauseous and made my gums itchy. I have experienced weight gain (8 lbs) caused by eating all my cravings. I've taken it from 2011 to now and haven't had any bad experiences.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by monica1989:

I've been on it for 2 months now, I switched to Ocella to treat moderate acne, so far I have noticed a slight decrease in breakouts but also noticed I have no self control over what I eat anymore and have gained weight I am an active person and I have noticed a change in weight. Also very moody and I have a short temper and am very moody, I snap at everyone even at work.

May 20, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by LilHannah:

I'm 20, 5ft and 97lbs. I've been on Ocella for 4ish years now. I originally was on Yaz then Yasmin the. When Ocella came out I switched. For me, the experience was normal. I was moody on my periods (nothing new) and a big decrease in acne! But now I am thinking of switching to a stronger birth control, even though I've been on Ocella for so long and love the product I think my body needs a change in medication. I'm becoming a little more irritated then the first 2 years, my nipples are especially tender after my period which never happened before. It's time for a change. Overall a great product if you would like to see a decrease in acne, no weight gain, no pregnancy scares, no depression or moodiness for the most part. Good for older teens!

February 2, 2013 11:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

6 years. No health issues or pregnancy scares.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2013 12:27 AM

Review by Belizabethd (taken for 2 to 5 years):

4yrs no issues

January 4, 2013 3:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Have been taking Ocella for four months now due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. I've been experiencing elevated blood pressure and this is causing some other ill feelings such as nausea and shortness of breath, which immediately triggers anxiety attacks. Surprisingly I feel fine emotionally for the majority of the time. My breast size has increased, my sex drive is up, my periods are lighter and my skin is clearer. The negative symptoms I have been experiencing have not been frequent, they have only occurred recently. However, the severe elevation in my blood pressure is cause for concern and I may switch next month to a new pill.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2012 8:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Ocella for about 4 months now, after being on Microgestin for 4 years. I don't have too many complaints with either, although I will say that my skin is far clearer on Ocella than it ever was on Microgestin. My periods on Ocella are quite light and last only 4-5 days; cramps are usually mild. No headaches, nausea, mood swings, or noticeable change in sex drive, which seem to be a problem for a lot of other women. Also, I actually dropped a couple of pounds after starting Ocella with no lifestyle or diet change. My only concern is that I do have a history of ovarian cysts, which Microgestin effectively quashed; only time will tell whether or not Ocella causes any change. 23 years old, otherwise healthy.

November 12, 2012 11:36 PM

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I have tried A LOT of different birth control. I used this particular formulation for about a year. Unlike the others, I did not bleed through this one. I did however cry at everything! I cried when I saw cute kids playing, when Kelso did cute things for Jackie on That 70's Show, and when I got good grades on tests. Everything made me cry. Also, my breasts were tender all the time, and I never wanted sex, but that has been the case for all 7 years of birth control. I did not notice any substantial weight gain.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2012 12:55 PM

Review by hnm12 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pros: Periods were lighter, cramps hardly existed, not pregnant. I got on the pill for these reasons. So, yes it worked for that. In addition, I lost about 27 pounds. However, CONS: I was SUPER depressed and that depression hit hard. I've always been a happy, outgoing person, but Ocella made me upset at random times and now that I'm off it, my period is heavier than before and the cramps are worse. I've also gained weight since going off the pill. I'm 18, 5'7, 189 lbs. I would not recommend it. Of course there was the noticeable decline in sex drive, but that didn't bother me much.

August 13, 2012 4:09 PM

Review by CourtneyMK (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have used Ocella for years and have not had any major problems. The most I have felt is some breast tenderness close to my period which I have always had and sometimes some mild nausea my first 2 days or so on the pill during the first active week. I am happy with the effectiveness. I had irregular and very heavy periods that would last 11 days. This medicine has given me light and regular periods normally lasting 5 days. I haven't experienced any emotional side effects or severe physical effects.

July 30, 2012 7:17 PM

It wasn't a bad birth control other than the mood swing and anxiety. 6 months into it I started to have a really hard time breathing and chest pain and swelling of arms and legs. I checked out side effects and these are some of the more severe ones. I took myself off of it a week ago, and I feel so much better, I'm less anxious and moody and the pain and swelling.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2012 1:06 PM

I have had the exact same reaction to Ocella as the poster named "No Babies, but I'm Crazy". I switched to Ocella from Levora because Levora was giving me really bad mood swings. When I was on it, I would burst into tears all the time for no reason. This side effect decreased dramatically when I switched to Ocella, but I do still get mood swings quite often. The biggest difference is that my moods on Ocella are more angry/agitated than weepy (which they were when I took Levora). However, I feel like the moods are more manageable, which is why I'm still on Ocella after 4 months (I stopped taking Levora after 2). When it comes time to renew my prescription in 2 months, I may consider choosing a new pill.

April 5, 2012 8:07 PM

I started out on Yaz and Yasmin. I have been losing my hair ever since. Suddenly I was switched to Ocella with no warning. I experienced the most beautiful skin and 2 day periods, but the hair loss did not stop. I was tested for PCOS but that's a negative. I have not experienced nausea, headaches, and definitely no decrease in sex drive. My PMS has always been terrible and that hasn't changed either way. I asked my doctor about the hair loss and was told that it could not be the birth control. Unfortunately I lost my job and my insurance. I was without birth control for 4 months. During that time my hair started to grow back. I am now back on Ocella and my hair is still growing back. I am 30 yrs old, I have been taking Ocella since it came out. I'm a fan.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2012 1:06 AM

I have been on Ocella for about 3 years, and I have loved it. Never had any problems: Cleared my skin, breasts grew, periods were light, sex drive was not really affected. In the past few months though I have seen a lot more break through bleeding leading to almost 2 week long periods (not fun), so I am switching.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2012 5:48 PM

Ocella has worked very well for me. I have gained no weight, have lighter periods, light cramping, and have only one issue. I become emotional, and insecure around day 10 or 11 and then it subsides. I'm usually stable. However, I've decided to give another birthcontrol a try because my cost is so high. But I will consider going back to Ocella if this new one doesn't work out.

February 2, 2012 3:46 PM

This it the first birth control pill that I've been on as I don't necessarily like the idea of hormonal contraceptives. I just started Ocella this month and so far I have bled for 10 days straight (lightly, but I've been used to light periods that last four or five days) and my emotions have been out of control. I normally have light mood swings before my period, but this has been ten times worse and nonstop for the week and a half that I've been on Ocella. I crave junk food 24 hours a day and feel angry or upset about the littlest things. My skin is pretty clear naturally and I haven't noticed a change in that. My sex drive is about the same. I can't say much else as this is my first month on it but I am not a fan of the super PMS so far.

January 27, 2012 12:38 AM

Review by lpwiseman:

I was on Yaz before and did just fine on it. They switched me to Ocella four months ago and said that it was the same but I am having such a hard time on it. I bleed heavy, cramp and have migraines for at least 10 days. It knocks me off my feet to where all I can do is stay in bed all day. I have to use double protection when on my period. I bleed so much the first month that I almost had my husband take me to the ER. I instead started taking iron pills to help me recover from my period. With all the scare on blood clots in the news I just called and asked my doctor to switch me to something else. The other thing was that I have zero sex drive and I can't lose weight.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate