User Reviews for Ocella

Learn more about Ocella.

Ocella Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 453 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ocella to treat Acne

"I have been on Ocella for about 2 months now. I originally was on Zarrah and had the BEST skin - my light acne cleared up within the first 2 weeks & remained absolutely flawless for almost 2 years. I ended up having a 2 week period - nightmare, I know. I went to my Gyno who had then switched me to Ocella. I explained to her that I loved the way Zarrah effected my skin & didn't want to breakout on a new form of Birth Control. I'm almost finished with month 2 and have been breaking out with white heads all over my forehead, along with a few painful zits around my face. I use Clarisonic every morning/night and eat healthy/workout. My moods are great and I lost a few pounds, but I may not continue Ocella for this reason...remaining optimistic!!"

Californiagirl15 January 15, 2015

"Prescribed Ocella for POCS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can cause severe cystic acne that I had. Have been on it for 10 years. It was a miracle, acne is gone. To prevent the mood swings and acne flare ups during the inert week each month, I had my OBGYN write prescription for 3 months straight. Now only have period & mood swings 4 times/yr instead of 12. Other pills caused anxiety attacks, I have felt most normal on this pill. The downside is I have no libido, but I am 40 so I guess I should expect some decrease at my age anyway."

Pbandj (taken for 10 years or more) December 4, 2014

"All have been changed since a month after starting Ocella. Soft clear skin and brighter complexion. No more yellow and dull face. Waking up with fresh skin as if I just washed my face. More incline to wear sun block and makeup. My hair no longer oily and stop falling out. I did stop for 2 months due to dryness and no sex drive. A BIG MISTAKE. Ask your doctor the correct way to phase it out. I am retaking it again."

gf5476 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2012

"I began using this birth control in January 2012 to treat cystic acne and to prep me for beginning Accutane. My periods before this pill were bad, I had heavy bleeding with painful cramps. Once I began the birth control they got lighter and now I have absolutely no cramps! My face looks fantastic now, I only have the occasional zit. I can handle that since I used to have 20 at one time. I would say I started to notice side effects around May of 2012. I began having pretty bad headaches, usually everyday when I wake up. I had a little bit of weight gain. The worst was how moody I began to be. I would really only like spending time alone. I also lost my sex drive completely. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2012

"When you decide to take this drug you need to consider whether clear skin is worth endangering your life. I'm 17 and I was on ocella for a year. It cleared up my skin completely and my periods were regular. It was perfect. Then I starte having trouble breathing. I kept having doctors appointments and they were thinking I was developing asthma or allergies. After a few months of tests I discovered on my own that I had a DVT or basically a blood clot in my left leg. By the time I discovered this it had progressed all the way from my calf to my belly button. I also had 5 pulmonary embolus in my lungs and was functioning on 1/3 my normal lung capacity. I had no other risk factors for blood clots. This drug is a devil drug."

Anonymous March 12, 2012

"I got Ocella solely for the reason that I don't want to get pregnant and I got it for free with my insurance. With starting my first pack, I was nauseous the first three days or so but not so bad I guess. Now I'm on my last week of my second pack, about to be on my third pack and my acne has gotten a lot worse unfortunately. I'm going to wait a couple of months to see if that changes though because other than that I love it."

Anonymous October 21, 2011

"I was on Yaz about two years ago and decided to take some time off of it because it made my periods about 10 days long. Once my acne started getting worse, my doctor recommended me for Ocella. The morning after I took the pill for the first time, I was very nauseous and threw up. Now, I have been taking the medicine for about 4 days and every night, about 6 hours after taking the pill, I have to run to the bathroom to throw up because I am so nauseous. I have been feeling very tired too. But sometimes I feel really hyper as well. I really hope that this birth control clears up my acne. By reading the other posts, I am very scared to gain weight. But I work out daily so that probably wont be a problem. I have already lost weight from the nausea."

pinkpenguin13077 October 31, 2010

"I started taking this for acne, which Ocella cleared up REALLY well (except for the period week, during which I'll get minor acne breakouts), but I must add that now I've been experiencing a huge decrease in my sex drive. I'm starting to wonder if I should get off of it just to feel like a normal sexual adult. This is just getting weird."

NoSexDrive September 5, 2010

"I have been on Ocella for 2 cycles and have experienced lighter periods and no side effects except a slight headache during menstruation. My skin is slowly clearing (I had small bumps from hormones around my jawline). I am concerned it has been changed from a generic per posts. I just picked up at Walmart yesterday and paid $10 so I am confused....?"

Anonymous October 27, 2009

"First of, let me say I am a Pharmacy Technician. I was on Yaz for about 5 months. It was okay. It wasn't strong enough to stop my periods until about 4 days into a new pack, it didn't do much for my skin, and it was $40/ month because there is no generic. I only kept taking it because it didn't make me nauseous (I am very sensitive to nausea). After $40/month was a little too much, I went to my doctor and wanted to be put on Ocella because it would only be $10/month and it has the same hormones as Yaz which didn't make me sick, but it was 0.01mg stronger, which made me a little nervous. But I tried it, didn't make me sick AT ALL, cleared my skin up, periods start and stop on time, no cramps, cheaper generic, and I lost 17 lbs! LOVE IT!"

kimmmm1014 July 15, 2009