User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I was put on Solodyn but within days, my acne was getting worse and worse, which forced me to go to my dermatologist and ask for something else. She told me that antibiotics shouldn't make you "worst before it gets better", considering how it's supposed to work. After getting cortisone steroid shots on them, she put me on doxycycline and within days, my skin was getting better and better. I've been on it for 2 months now and I've only gotten maybe 1 or 2 small pimples and they would go away in 2-3 days tops. I'm also using clindamycin phosphate lotion 1% once a day at night and this combination has been amazing."

finally clear (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "Hi Everyone I have been on Doryx for nearly 3 months. The pimples on my face and back have gotten worse and worse I am constantly breaking out to be honest my face is worse being on this medication then it was before i started it."

sydaust88 May 25, 2015

"I've had acne for a long time, all my teen years into adulthood. I'm 29 now and finally asked my doctor to prescribe something. I'm about 3 wks into taking Doxycycline and I had noticed slight improvement until a few days ago. I just got my period and dear god, my acne is more cystic and crazy than ever! It's mainly on my cheeks and chin now (which seems to be what others have experienced on this medication) and they are large, painful and ugly. Ugh. I'm truly hoping this is the whole "getting worse before it gets better" thing. I'm gonna stick with it and hope that this is just a one time thing. I also began using the Acne Free Severe system with this med, so we shall see. Oh, and the first day I took the med, I vomited. Must eat prior!"

amylaub0707 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"I switched to doxycycline for my acne after Solodyn (which reduced the acne I was getting by about 50%). Prior to taking doxycycline, I had borderline cystic acne and lots of PIH/redness. Within two weeks, a lot of my acne sunk into my face and went 'inactive.' I still get about 5% of acne that I got prior to taking any medicine, but no more lingering cysts, just small pimples. I feel that doxycycline has been very effective for me, and the only side effect I have noticed some slight photosensitivity/higher chance of sunburn (this would be the case with any antibiotic). I've been on doxycycline for almost 3 months and plan to continue taking it. Now I'm just dealing with PIH!"

Alexander Noonz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I've been on doxycycline for about a week now and I am in love with how my skin looks! I've been reading reviews about people's skin getting really bad so I'm scared that will happen to me because I've struggled with severe acne for so many years and this is the best my skin has ever looked, I'm pretty much almost acne free!! I'm also using differin cream 0.1% and that is a lot nicer on my skin than the gel was. I highly recommend going to see if you are able to take this medication."

Janosieber (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"This is far from the godsend every one else has claimed it to be. I'm two months in and have witnessed almost no results, other than the zits are less large and less painful. But in no way are their less zits. As an added "bonus", my acne scare like never before. The scarring is impossible to get rid of and impossible to cover up. My acne was only moderate, so I had expected it to work. I'm frustrated, and disappointed. This was my last hope."

TrevorAllen1269 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

"I'm 16 and have mild acne and this helps and almost clears my acne fully, but it makes me gain weight, get headaches, and feel nauseous. So it's sort of a win-lose situation."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2015

"I was told by my doctor to take the doxycycline 100mg once a day for 3 months. So far it has been 3 weeks and I think my acne is getting worst. The first week my acne seemed to be improving. That was until the 2nd week it started getting worst. I'm starting to think it might be my period causing me to break out again. So I'm hoping I will see an improvement when its over. I have had no bad side effects which is great. After reading positive feedback on this I am really hoping to see a huge difference!! BE PATIENT"

bells2477 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"This is my 3rd month on doxycycline and my face have shown great improvements! I'm 19 with oily skin and before I had moderately severe acne with cysts, papules and pustules. At one point it hurt and annoyed me so much plus lowered my self esteem that I decided to meet a dermatologist . She prescribed 100mg of doxycycline along with 5% benzoyl peroxide to be taken daily . During the first month, it was horrible. My face broke out terribly but I guess that was a part of it, clearing out the disgusting stuff inside our face . In the second month my skin start to clear up, and now I can say that I'm 95% acne free with occasional small zits during period but nothing hurt as much as before. The point is, don't give up :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"While using this medication I have seen a huge difference my acne was so bad to where when I changed my facial expression it would hurt. I have been taking this pill for about four months now. My face is less oily for sure. But one thing I have noticed is that I have gotten back acne but it's not bad it just looks like scars. But about a month ago my eyes were starting to get really dry I am not sure if the pill did that or what but I had to take eye drops. I am supposed to take the pill in the morning and at night but since I go to school I don't have time to eat in the morning I don't take the pill in the morning. During my spring break I started to take it In The morning again and my eyes started to get dry agian. But I to recommend it"

Anonymous April 28, 2015

"Hey it's the high school student, and I'm on my 3 week. omg my skin has been clearing up, my friend has told me the difference, I still have loads left but I've just began to third week and I can see that the cystic acne has cleared up, I'm never gonna give up."

!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"I've been prescribed doxycycline hydate . And so far it has shown exceptional results. I haven't had a single breakout 1 and a half week into its use. ^_^ quite happy as the acne has been a biig problem for me for about 3 years now ."

Maha5212 April 27, 2015

"I have had clear skin up until my current age of 41. I have been exposed to dermatitis at a phenomenal rate. Everything from cystic acne to dark marks on my face. I've tried everything to stop this active bacteria. The one thing that seems to help is the 10% benzyl peroxide bar which doesn't dry my skin and the doxycycline 100 mg 2x day, Differin .05 in a.m and Clindomycin 1% at night. My cheeks just seem to be invaded and its so very hard not to aggravate the eruptions. 1 week and I am noticing no new areas on face. Its just the abrasions underneath my skin are slow to heal. I'm looking forward to less stress more water and more exercise to help the healing process."

Ms.Songaya S. Williams (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

"I am a 27 year old female and started taking doxycycline for acne 4 days ago. I have never had acne in my life up until recently and my dermatologist prescribed me this. I was a little skeptical to take an antibiotic for acne but so far it's working! I would have a few large, painful pimples at a time along with many small comedones on my forehead and chin but after only 4 days of taking this I have seen a significant change! The pimples are receding and I notice less and less comedomes every day! I have not had any issues with nausea or headache but I have made sure to take it with a decent amount of food every day."

Rosie S April 23, 2015

"I've been struggling with acne for a year now. I'm a high school student and it's so hard to be confident when everyone else has clear skin and you feel really insecure about yourself. I've been taking this medicine for 2 weeks and my skin is its worst it's ever been, the first week I barely broke out, I now have 3 cystic acne and I really hope this is part of the plan. I'm going to stick with it for another 3 months."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

"I had very mild acne from 15 up to 17. My acne then became moderate. I tried the acne line exposed. With very little success. Once I discontinued the use of the exposed skin care line. My acne became moderate to severe. At the time I was moving out, traveling to a new state, and finding a job/college. Needless to say it was a very stressful time. from there I went on Keflex. cleared half my back and slightly improved my face over the course of 3 months. Eventually I went on Doxycycline with tretinin cream 0.5 percent. Also proactive plus in the mornings. It has almost been a month and I am almost acne free. I did not have a bad outbreak. No side effects whatsoever. I can take on a empty stomach. Although I recommend eating and drinking."

Damon1029 April 19, 2015

"This has worked very well for my acne, nothing I have tried in 3 years has worked this well. However, I am an athlete and I'm out in the sun everyday and if this same thing applies to you, do not take this. It makes you very sensitive to the sun and you will be in so much pain, especially in your hands. If you start taking this and feel sensitive to hot and cold, and notice your hands turning red then stop using this immediately because it only gets worse."

chrisssssssss (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

"I've struggled with acne since I was 13, and now 4 years in, I think I might have finally waved goodbye to it. After a couple of months of doxy I have only just noticed the difference, so it may just be a clear spell, but I haven't looked so clear in years. I've found some confidence and feel a bit better within myself, so fingers crossed that my skin stays clear from now on! I still get a couple of spots here and there but nothing compared to what I used to get. Side effects can be a little nasty, when waking up in the middle of the night feeling really sick, but overall good experience with it so far. Xx"

ced x (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

"Last year I stated taking medication (not doxycycline) and I helped very much. However, if stopped working as well before I saw any real results. I've been on doxycycline for about a month and my skin is the worst it's been in a long time (mainly on chin and cheeks) nothing I'm doing is getting rid of it and it's leaving big scars. After reading this I have decided I'm not going to give up yet. If they don't work within 2 months I will seek further advice and help."

Sptuegphh March 31, 2015

"I've been taking doxycycline for 2 years now and in that time it has been a God send. But unfortunately in the past month I have had a huge breakout, I feel very self concious at the moment. I do all I can to avoid going out, and I absolutely get so anxious on the days I have to take my daughter to school and can't rely on my husband."

Adultacnesuxs (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2015

"This pill is the best I ever had! I can't believe the difference. I'm so happy!! No painful acne whatsoever. My blemishes are also fading away. I never thought in a million years my skin would look this good. I struggled with acne since I was 12. It got worse when I Got older. I've been on doxycycline hyclate for about 5 months. My skin looks great. I'm just worried that once I'm off these pills my acne will all come back again. I just hope it doesn't."

Angle baby March 22, 2015

"Almost 32 years old and YES, I have Acne. I have a combination of cystic, pusy, blackheads, zits and severe scaring. Fed up with the ppersistent outbreaks that WOULD NEVER go away, and trying to be proactive about it in a holistic way; reaching out to your doctor is the best thing you could do! I did! Wow! What and incredible difference in my skin! I am currently 5 days into the medicine Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg prescribed to me along with clindamycin 1% topical gel. I will admit, it really does make you super nauseated if you do not eat a little of something before taking the antibiotic. Other than that, I personally am seeing results. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO TAKE PROBIOTICS FOR GOOD BACTERIA!"

AcneSuffererWestCoast March 18, 2015

"My acne started when in my 20's and I struggled with it for about 30 years with various levels of success and complications. I took a job managing a dermatology practice and one of the doctors put me on some topical stuff that just tore my face up. A visiting phamacutical rep kindly pushed a bag towards me one day and hinted that it might work a bunch better than what I was using. Doxycycline has been a miracle for me... most days 50mg and occasionally during a flare, I'll take one each 12h. Results (after 30 years of struggle) have been nearly ideal... Can't recommend this treatment enough."

Jim W (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2015

"While it has worked for my acne (amazingly), the side effects have included tingling of the arm/face/hand, headaches, nausea, diarrhea, chest pain, & dizziness. I will have to cease taking it."

Sragle (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"So my dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline about 3yrs ago for 12 months and after seeing results he increased the time period to 18months. While I was on this my acne and zits showed a significant reduction, though they weren't totally gone. But after medication they started coming back and its been a nightmare since then."

Naiomi122445 March 14, 2015