User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 453 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"Just been giving another 5 month dosage of Doxycycline, Benzoyl peroxide (5%) and Tretinoin (0.05%). It started off getting worse, but within two weeks I started to see a major improvement in my skin. I hardly get any acne anymore. Just the scaring on my chest and on my face. Hopefully this will help clear it all up. When I first started taking the Doxycycline, I felt sick and had slight headaches but make sure to eat food first and then take the pills!! It really does help."

sammyboi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2015

"I have been on this medication for three months now and it is the worst decision I've ever made in my life. I started with moderate cystic acne, my doctor said that doxycycline would work wonders for it, and, sadly, I believed him. Although now I very rarely get cysts, I have broken out severely on my cheeks and forehead in ten to fifteen hard inflamed bumps at a time, and this medication has left immense scarring all along my cheeks that cannot be covered by makeup. My skin is a thousand times worse now than it was when I started. Please don't start this medication. "

miserableacnesufferer August 17, 2015

"I'm 17,I started Doxy 50mg once a day on the 24th of April (almost 4 months ago) and at first my acne hadn't changed much at all. If anything during that starting period my pimples on my cheeks and chin got worse though that was to be expected. I continued to take it and after a consecutive month or so I noticed my pimples subsiding. From then on my skin just kept getting better, it's now smooth, soft, healthy with only a couple tiny, non-pussy pimples here and there. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but if my face is exposed to the sun for 30minutes I get a few extra pimples? Anyway, the keys for this antibiotic to work at it's finest are: -Touch your face as less as possible -Try eat healthy foods -Do not pick at your spots"

Rachel1998 August 17, 2015

"A pretty average experience. Helped a ton with my teenage acne from when I started using it (age 15) to when I stopped using it (age 17). Had to get off it now because it would induce a lot of stomach pain and diarrhea when I would be taking it."

Hiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2015

"For about 30$ a bottle I was taking 100mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I weight about 100lbs. I'm a teen and my acne blows. This helped to reduce how "angry" my acne was. However I will say this made me completely lose my appetite and if taken wrong can cause severe nausea. I did get 3rd degree burns when I was on it last summer and went off it for this summer however I might go back on it due to the fact the new topical cream I have sucks. All in all doxy was my hero but it definitely is a lot to handle."

he August 14, 2015

"I had very bad acne all over my face. I went to a dermatologist and started doxycycline. At first it got way worse but eventually it cleared my face right up! No acne at all. Don't stop taking it though or else it comes back. At first I was going to stop cause it was making it worse but please trust me keep going it really helps!!"

TheHonestTruth (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

"I have suffered from moderate to severe acne. My doctor prescribed me this medication the first week of July 2015. I literally saw NO results until after 4 weeks. I told my dermatologist that it doesn't look like it really works for me BUT, he told me It usually takes 3-4 months to really see the improvement. Also, a week after I saw him I did see a HUGE improvement. I had a lot of bumps on my forehead and all around my chin. My face is very smooth now, just have a couple of scars. Nothing good makeup can't hide when I have to head out. I also avoid the sun as much as I can. Bc I started to notice my skin was getting flakey but I use a good moisturizer to get rid of that. I take one when I wake up and one before I go to bed."

Sandrax3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

"I had high hopes for this drug. But sadly all it doesn't work so well for me. Arrrg my skin hurts so bad!!! It literally feels like its burning. My skin has become so dry that its starting to peel. I try putting on cream but that hurts soooooo bad. It literally feels like my skin is on fire when I try to moisturize. My doc gave me a cream and even that freaken hurts so bad!!!"

Luveley August 11, 2015

"I am 33 years old. I have had acne for a few years. Sometimes it looked really bad and sometimes OK enough to get by with makeup. However it's taken a toll on my self confidence. I don't feel comfortable around people when my make up isn't on or even if it is on. I just know the acne is on my face and people notice it. Or at least I think they do. I started doxcycline about two weeks ago and have a month long course so have about 2 weeks to go. While I do see little improvement, I still have the acne and feel bumps on my face. I have some new bumps on my chin. So I'm not entirely sure if there is improvement or its just in my head since I'm on the medication. Is there hope? Does it really get better if you stick with it?"

nilly3 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I begun using doxycyline in December of 2014, I have been struggling with acne since the fourth grade and something needed to be done. My acne got worse the first month but the second and third was a drastic improvement. It is now July and my skin has never looked so great."

hope omodibo July 29, 2015

"This medication is a miracle. I suffered with cystic acne and had breakouts all over my cheeks and jawline. Just after three days of taking the medication, my face was less red. After two weeks, I had no acne. I've been taking the medication for three weeks now and I'm so satisfied with the results. I still breakout, but I only get 2-3 pimples now and then. I had no side effects when taking this medication, and for me, it did not make my acne worse before it got better. I recommend this medication for anyone who is suffering from acne!"

Christine A July 28, 2015

"I've been on doxycycline and Aldactone for just one week. I'm not seeing any major differences yet but I'm hopeful. I have had slightly less deep (huge) pimples. I'm not sure if the difference is the meds or proactive plus which I've been using two weeks."

Cristinb July 23, 2015

"I have been on doxy (on and off) for about a year and a half now. My acne was on my face,chest,and back. Let me start by saying,this medication will most definitely make your acne worse before it gets better. For me,the initial flare only last about a week, 2 at most and it is definitely worth it! I'm on birth control now,because my body eventually seems to become immune to this medication after being on it so long. Now with the birth control,I started taking doxy again (with clindamycin topical lotion) and my acne is gone in less than a week! A complete turn around. Just last week I would look in the mirror and cry about my skin. I was actually suppose to start accutane next month. I recommend this for anyone with severe acne!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

"All my life I have been lucky enough to have near perfect skin, however after starting university it all turned terrible. I had large pimples along my jawline mostly but also all over my face that were very painful under the skin which came to a pussy head (cute I know). I broke out more then I had ever in my life I went to the Dr and I was prescribed Doxycycline for 2 weeks it made my skin worse to start off with but after a week and a half it started to clear. Now I have the occasional small whitehead but it seems to have gotten my skin out of its bad phase thank goodness."

Anonymous July 17, 2015

Acticlate (doxycycline): "Once I moved to a more humid climate around 8th grade, my skin exploded and I decided to start the original Proactiv and while it was harsh on my skin at first, it worked wonders for the 4-5 years I used it. After my skin got used to the Proactiv formula, I tried everything from biore to clean and clear to gentle cleansers like neutrogena. I'm now 20 and the acne was getting in the way of my self confidence so I decided to make an appointment with my dermatologist and she prescribed Acticlate (doxycycline). I broke out on and off for about a month but now it's mostly scarring and the occasional small pimple. If you're going on doxycycline, stick it out! I promise it's so worth it."

Becca1578 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "My dermatologist put me on Doryx a couple months back. My acne was bad, inflamed and painful all over my cheeks. I took half the pill once a day and at first it made my skin dry out. But my acne disappeared within a week and a half. Afterwards I stopped using it. Then noticed my skin breaking out again. So I'm back on it again and it has settled my skin. I quit eating dairy as well while taking it and I have yet to have a breakout. I now take it every other day as it dries out the skin all over my body. But totally worth the results !!"

Jennuhpurr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

"I have had bad skin since I can remember and had tried all sorts of products/home remedies/diet changes and nothing worked. Had non-painful lumps in my neck and chin and after seeing a specialist, finally found out that i had bacteria in my lymph nodes from untreated acne. i have been using this in combination with an antibiotic toner and all of my lymph nodes are fine and so is my skin. At 27 it is nice to have nice skin. No nausea or side effects at all. Highly recommended!!!"

StaceyA July 9, 2015

"I've had pretty bad acne since I was in grade 7 and now I'm in grade 12. I asked my doctor to prescribe something and she gave me Doxycycline. The first week I saw great results, almost all my acne went away, but as they all say, it gets worst before it gets better. I started to get a lot more acne on my cheeks and the side of my face. Now I'm 3 months in and my acne is all gone. The only problems I had was the scarring , and the nausea. I recommend this product!"

buzzfromthebees (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"I've been struggling with acne for over a year. When I first got acne I went to the drugstore and bought the whole shabang. I legit bought so many products it was wild. Sadly none of the products hadn't helped me and just left scars due to the harsh chemicals I used. I left my skin alone for a few months and it hasn't changed. I went to the doctors and they prescribed doxycycline. When I first started using it, nothing really changed. After a week or so of using it I got so many gigantic spots (I had whitehead pimples before) they hurt and I felt so so insecure, however I didn't give up. I've been using this for 3 months and my skins clear (apart from the scars)."

Anoooon. July 2, 2015

"after having my daughter my skin went oily and gross went on accurate for 6months and the oily and skin cleared up.... 6 months later it came back worse then ever... DR put me on .1% retanoid cream... Did nothing much made my face peel and burn for 3 months.... Went back and Dr gave me doxy have been I for maybe 2months the big cystic acne didn't clear until month 1 had red and rash skin.... But stuck it out... Now I alternate 1night retinoids 1 night doxy and it's the perfect balance. Yes my skins oily and have one or 2 tiny hormonal break outs its cleared up 80% am happy don't want to come off the doxy!!!!"

Bumbum (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "I have been taking this medication for about three months now. It has cleared up 80% of my acne, and I have not gotten any new acne since I've been on it. Also, I haven't lost any hair, or had any side effects/problems while on this medication."

SofiaI July 2, 2015

"I have suffered from acne since I can remember! I'm now 16 and it's hopefully starting to go forever. I've tried so many different types of diets, creams, pills and anything that might help my acne. I have been on roacutane which was AMAZING.. But my acne sadly came crawling right back. I left it a few years till I finally went back to the dermatologist and they put me on doxycycline. At first my skin cleared up right away then I started to get a few blemishes here and there but my skin is definitely way better than it used to be and I really recommend doxycycline if you don't want to go on very harsh treatments like roacutane. I'm also using differin cream and originally used the gel but that was too harsh so I changed to the cream."

Janosieber (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

"I have had cystic acne for about 5 years now I have tried almost everything to clear my skin, from proactive to neutrogena to benzoyl peroxide cream,etc I mean almost EVERYTHING & now I'm just tired of it! So me and my mom made a appointment with the doctor to get a referral for the dermatologist but the doctor said Accutane is like the last choice... so she just prescribed me doxycycline for my acne. I've been on it for only about 4 days and I'm already seeing great results , hopefully it keeps working and doesn't get WORST... By the way I also have it on my chest, arms, shoulders, & back, this is my last hope.:/"

Cocoa_100 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

"I've suffered from acne since I was 11, and I am now 16. My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline twice a day when I was 15. After a few weeks of faithfully taking it like she said, my skin started to clear up nicely. I still proceeded to have a few blemishes but nothing major. After three months, my dermatologist took me off doxycycline after seeing my improvement. She left me with the topical Ziana. My skin stayed pretty good after that. But about two months later, my acne started to get worse again. The Ziana didn't help me at all. So she gave me a new topical but it just dries my skin out very badly so I don't use it often. Last week, she put me back on doxycycline. No improvement yet, but I'm hoping it will clear my skin up."

Pnut7155 June 27, 2015

"I have suffered with various forms of acne since I was a child of nine years of age and I am now 54 years old. I had taken Accutane for cystic acne and finished a course in 2013 when I started to break out again in small pimples in late 2013. I started Periostat in 2014 and have not gotten any better. The pimples have gotten worse. They are all over my face, raised and hard. It looks like I have a rash. I am African-American and have hyperpigmentation so when every pimple heals it turns brown. My face is a mess and my dermatologist doesn't really know what to do. I take the pills twice a day and use clindamycin topical lotion all to no avail."

mp5442st (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015