User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, Ocudox, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

For those who are dealing with symptom, make sure to take a full meal before you eat for me it eliminated the nausea completely. If I take it to long after I take the medication or don't eat I'll either vomit or can barely move with nausea.

January 9, 2015 7:29 AM

Review by miw (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had acne, and found doxycycline awesome.

December 30, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Jay402:

I have been taking the doxycycline for about 1 week now consistently and I have seen tremendous change. One thing about is medication is that you must have patience. It will get worse before it gets better! In addition to taking the doxycycline I also used adapalene to control the breakouts that the doxycycline pushes out. This is coming from someone that has dealt with acne for years and has never found anything that works.

December 17, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by Berrya:

Everytime winter comes around I start to break out really bad. Everybody used to tell me where does this acne come from since I don't get it all year but the winter. My teacher recommended it for me since her daughter used it. I immediately went to the dermatologist and told him I need to take doxycycline. I started taking it and haven't broke out since! This is great!

December 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by mcfl3:

When I use doxy, prescribed by my dermatologist it works well with occasional breakouts...problem is when I stop using, and Dr makes me stop after being on for 3 months, go off for 1..well...my face explodes! Severe acne all over..I'm 40 yrs old and am SO exhausted over trying to clear up my face. Thank goodness I can cover up with make up. Also I use Retinol..Ziana and a face wash also prescribed by Dr at the time! Frustrated.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started this in August it broke my face out terribly I play college soccer and was extremely sun burned all season it is now November and my face hasn't improved much at all.

November 28, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Veevee9269:

Monodox (doxycycline): Low self esteem, not wanting to leave the house, not being able to stay in a relationship because I was so self conscious and miserable, always walking with my head down, couldn't look people in the face, couldn't walk out the house without makeup (although it didn't cover the bumps). I cried almost everyday and hated my life. It all changed in 5 months. I've never seen my face so clear. I'm finally getting my confidence back. Yes it did take some time for the results to fully kick in, but it did work for me and I'm so happy I finally went to the dermatologist after trying a million and one products that never worked; changed my entire diet and drank water and it never work. But Monodox along with Ziana gel definitely changed my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by ItGetsBetterDontGiveUp:

Generally my acne went away with use of clindamycin cream for a 7 month period. But I got two giant pustules and I was prescribed doxycycline 100mg once a day to treat these issues. The third week my acne got awful but by week 4 it cleared up. I still get zits but no major acne. Overall its been good but I have only been on it a month so I think by month 2 or 3 it will be gone. Stick with it and don't give up.

November 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking this for awhile and it's worked the best out of everything I've tried. I still do get the occasional breakout and pimple around my period, but has drastically reduced my acne overall.

November 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by Lily jo (taken for less than 1 month):

I had severe acne as a teenager and Doxycycline did not have an effect. I ended up taking Roaccutane which eventually left me with clear skin for 8 years. However, the last 9 months I have had a reoccurrence of moderate acne and was prescribed Doxycycline. I was convinced it would have no effect again but within 3 days I saw an improvement. Now after 2 weeks I have had no new spots. The first few days it made me feel really nauseous but more bearable if I take it with a meal and lots of water.

November 7, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Kevin 93:

I was issued this when I went to Afghanistan to prevent malaria. I didn't take it like many of us in my unit. Ever since moving to Georgia and joining the military I've had acne, it breaks out very badly. My medic overseas asked me if I was taking my doxy and I told him I wasnt. He let me know that it was commonly used as acne medication and that's when I started using it. 100-200mg per day after a few days completely cleared up my skin, after a week I looked like I did in highschool I've never been happier and th rest is history, I highly recommend this product

November 6, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by Dinaxo:

I've been taking Doxycycline 50 mg once a day for my acne for about 3 weeks now and I'm finally seeing results. My skin is looking so good and better than ever. I'm so happy I can cry. The first 2 weeks seemed to almost make it worse but I didn't give up and I'm glad I didn't. I recommend it!

October 30, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by InfoSecMom4 (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication is effective for acne. Within a couple days I noticed a difference. I had to stop using it because it caused severe nausea and occasional vomiting.

October 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Luis K. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm writing as a dad, age 46, for my son age 14. My boy has relatively bad acne problems for 2 years and it has been worrying.. I brought him to a family doctor (General Practitioner) for advice and was prescribed with Doxycycline 100MG (1 tab every night). It has been a month now and his condition has improved quite substantially, about 70% improvement. He also washes his face more regularly, about every 3-4 hours using very quick gentle/light rinse with water on very mild facial-wash. I would definitely recommend people with acne problems to seek his/her doctor's approval for this medication. It helps.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by taller om (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 35 and never had acne in my youthful ages until now. Acne all over my face and went to see a dermatologist who prescribed doxycycline for me. I have been taking this medicine for a month now and always experiencing acne on my face. Hope it gets better. Somebody help me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Anonymous_1_8:

About a month ago I wrote a review on this (username: anonymous_1_7). And there has been some results. Not all my pimples have cleared up, but since my Dr. prescribed me to 100mg of Doxycycline rather than the 50mg, there's been improvements. For many or you experiencing mild-severe pimples, I would recommend using this as well as some face scrub and cream.

October 4, 2014 2:06 AM

Review by delrey5254:

I'm 27 and I just started taking doxycycline 2x a day 100mg. I saw my skin clearing up or at least no new pimples since day 1! I also use tretinoin cream at night and benzaclin/clindamycin in the morning. I had an upset stomach so far only for one day but the past two days I've been dealing with a bad headache. I'm hoping it'll go away soon. Other than that, this medicine works great on me!

September 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by Katie5832 (taken for less than 1 month):

I never really had acne until my senior year in high school. I always washed my face before I went to bed, and I tried about every type of face wash you can think of. It took me a year to go to the dermatologist just because when my acne seemed to be getting bad it would clear up again. I never had cystic acne, but I still felt uncomfortable with my skin. I finally decided to go to a dermatologist, and I'm so thankful I did. I've been on this medicine for almost a month, and my skin is just so much better. The doctor put me on the 100 mg medicine for a total of 3 months, & I also use Tretinoin cream a few times a week. Cetaphil face wash, and Aveeno moisturizer are also things I use on the daily to keep my skin clean and from drying out.

September 22, 2014 6:59 PM

Review by nuuuru (taken for 1 to 6 months):

All I can say is that it changed my life. I had severe acne but this year January I started doxycycline. In March stopped because my face was now clear. Till now, no doxycycline, no acne. Am really happy.

September 17, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Unintentional Clear Skin:

I've always had moderate acne around my chin and forehead. I tend to get white heads and occasional cystic acne. Now in my twenties, I've been able to manage my skin fairly well, I know my acne triggers and to keep my face clean every night. I ended up using doxycycline for a medical purpose (I went to South America and got bit by a nasty bug) and found myself with clear skin. I've only been using doxycycline for about 2 weeks but I haven't had a single pimple since I started. It's completely amazing, and fixing my gross bug bites at the same time. I'll just have to see how long my skin can stay clear.

September 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by james413:

I could say that I would recommend this to people with mild to severe acne. I have been on doxycycline for a about 1 month and a couple of weeks close to 2 months and my acne has improved so, so much. I'm supposed to be on this for three months and I'm already close to flawless acnefree skin but of course with a combination of Epiduo, chemical peels and a gentle cleanser. Overall Doxy has been great and with no doubt would suggest it.

September 3, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by Anonymous_1_7:

I've had acne for two years (currently in year 9) and have tried all creams, but the creams never used to work for me since it wasn't my skin that caused the pimples, apparently there was just too much hormone production, so the Dr. prescribed me with 50mg of Doxycycline about two and a half weeks ago. The first week there weren't any signs of success, the second week it just seemed to get worse, (which everyone says is the side affect of this drug) but i haven't experienced the third week of being on this drug so i just hope my pimples clear up.

September 2, 2014 2:57 AM

Review by Emma's mama (taken for less than 1 month):

Week 1: no results Week2: acne got WORSE ( to the point where I almost gave up) Week 3: clear skin!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Review by madeezy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

In 6th grade, I had horrible acne. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed some kind of face wash. I don't Remember what it was, but it stunk and it was very strong. It helped combined with Epiduo, but it peeled my skin off. My acne cleared up very well AFTER stopping it, but in my freshman year in high school, I broke out HORRIBLY.. worse than ever. I went to my family doctor and he sent me back to the dermatologist and the dermatologist said I had a very bad case of cystic acne. My doctor prescribed Doxycycline and within about 2 weeks, my skin showed tremendous improvement. By a month, my skin was so smooth. I tried everything and nothing worked. I'm a junior in high school now and I'm still on it and very happy.

August 25, 2014 6:36 PM

Review by jared324:

Well I've been on doxycycline for a month and I'm pretty sure it's 100 mg. I've seen no improvement to my face and it has actually made my face worse. I'm starting to wash my face more to see if that will help but my overall experience has so far been terrible.

August 16, 2014 8:33 PM