User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 432 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I have mild acne around my chin, some bumps on my forehead, and black heads (which caused in large poors) on my nose down to my cheeks. A year ago I've have 3 flare up of inflamed cystic acne that would last for months until a dr had to inject steroids into it. My doctor put me on doxycycline 50mg 2x a day, as well as epido topical gel ointment. No complaints on the doxy but as for epido, the third day I used it it made my face extremely sensitive and dry to the point it stings when I put moisturizer on. I've stopped it until stinging settles down, then I'm going to apply every other day instead of every day."

Kimberly B (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I just started acticlate about a week ago and I'll be honest, my face is 20x worse . I only get acne around my chin area, and I have never seen it this bad . BUT I have noticed I am starting to see slight improvement and I believe that it gets worse before it gets better . I will continue this product and hopefully have clear skin before long !"

Alia172916 April 27, 2016

"I am 31 years old male and currently taking 100mg once a day. I have taken doxy 3 years ago for 4 months and it definitely worked like a miracle back then. I am glad my skin stayed fine for 3 years!! Sad part is..its back again! I never had any side effects especially if you are having plenty of fluids and not mixing with other supplements such as Iron and multivits tablets. In the beginning I felt as if my skin was more responsive to hot and cold temperatures but it's gone now. I would highly recommend doxy to all suffering from mild to severe acnes BUT you have to be patient to see it working!"

technorayyan (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

"I've started this medication about three weeks ago and so far I'm a bit satisfied. I used this medication before, and this medication is suppose to make your acne ALOT worse because it takes all the bad stuff out of your body. The first 2 weeks were absolutely horrible, a would wake up with 3-5 new cystic pimples on my face and back everyday. When I used this before, I remember that it took me almost 4 months to be totally clear. The thing is to have LOTS of patience, because the first weeks are frustrating. I'm reaching to week 4 and in a year worth of the pills and I'm starting to see improvement on my complexion and less redness, as well as the pimple minimizing. I will put an update once I see dramatic results."

Anonymous Joe April 23, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline for almost 4 weeks now, twice a day. My skin has really started to get better but recently I started getting nauseous after taking. The nausea usually subsides in 20 minutes, so I just used to deal with it. Avoid taking it before a car ride/playing a game/sport etc because that triggers nausea. It's a miracle drug and I hope ot works that way for you. P.S. Its true, it gets worse before it gets better"

AnneN (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"Been taking doxy for 3 months now. Before doxy, I had mild acne on my forehead and some cystic ones that I would get around my period. Anyway, so I'm taking 100mg doxy twice per day + Tretinoin + Acanya. I don't have pimples anymore but still have some dark spots. If I should get a pimple it would be a really small one and usually it's dried out after a day or two. Today I went back to my dermatologist for check up and she put me on doxy again for another 3 months (so six months in total). She said she's adding another 3 months so that I will be completely breakout free. Only bad side effect I had with doxy is sometimes it makes me throw up."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I'm a 19 year old female and my skin was perfect until I turned about 17. Then it still wasn't too bad, a couple of pimples every now and then. It started to get worse over the last couple of months, mild acne, so I was prescribed doxycycline 50mg once daily. I have been on it for three weeks now and my skin is worse than it has ever been. My face is covered in huge red sore bumps and I have scarring everywhere. I wake up with at least three new pimples a day. I am about to give up on this stuff because it has made my skin 10 times worse than it ever was. I have heard it gets worse before it gets better but I've read it usually only takes 2-3 weeks to see improvement but it doesn't look like it will be getting better anytime soon."

Taybow (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

"I've been using this for acne. I've always had acne but about a month ago I had a crazy Breakout/flare out that extended from my hairline down my jaw line down my neck. Crazy?!?!! So I rang to my derm & he prescribed this 100mg 2x a day along with clindamycin topical solution & I've seen results in my first week! I read all the reviews so I was afraid of "it gets worst before it gets better" thankfully that wasn't the case for me. Honestly, this medicine has been amazing. I've followed it to the tee. No food 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after because it works best on an empty stomach. I've been lucky that I haven't had any side effects. It's been great at preventing breakouts so overall I'm super happy with this medication."

Lorenita728 April 10, 2016

"So I recently developed cystic acne, presumably because of my change in make-up foundation. This has never happened and it looks really bad, because it's mostly on my cheeks and the sides of my mouth, it's HIDEOUS. I went to my GP and got doxy (50mg) and an Epiduo gel. The gel was burning my skin and it also made my face VERY dry and super sensitive, so I stopped it. I'm still on the doxy and I'm eating it twice a day, for almost a week now... My skin is still super dry and it looks so bad... My acne has toned down, however.. stopped with the redness and also lesser "active" acne. The only problem now is that my skin is very dry and it's very sensitive (even when i put on moisturiser it hurts)"

cysticanon April 8, 2016

"I'm 24 and I started getting acne when I was 23.. Only on my chin area. I would get 1-3 cystic pimples at a time then, a few "normal" ones around them with constant clogged pores. I tried everything for a year, diet change, different contraceptive pill, naturopathy, medicated face cleansers, antibiotic ointment, anti fungal antibiotics. Nothing worked, until I was prescribed Doxycycline, and a topical cream of Epiduo. Doxycycline has worked, I have been on it for 70 days now and my skin is smooth and clear, although it was a tough journey. I had sensitive skin, drying skin, and lots of sore pimples coming out (more than usual) Push through that because it does take time. Epiduo was good to help the inflammation.. Don't apply much!"

PaulaaaD April 6, 2016

"Been taking this for about 2 months, done absolutely nothing but pull acne out. If you want good results fast definitely do not go for this. I doubt that it will ever clear up at this rate. 4/10 only because it helped a little bit of zits go away."

Braxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"I had taken doxy along with birth control pills when I was 16 to help combat my acne. And it worked wonders my face was always clear. Now however 3 years later I tried to start taking it again but without the birth control since I now have an IUD my face is horrible. It's worse than it was when I wasn't taking anything at all. I know it's supposed to get worse before it gets better but damn it's been about 3 months now on it for the second time and my face it so red with constant breakouts. I think I'm going to try Accutane."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

"I've been on Doxycycline for 4 weeks. I haven't seen any improvement with my adult hormonal acne around my mouth."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

"Doxycycline definitely works!! I've suffered from moderate to severe acne since year 6 and I'm now in year 10. I started trying different prescribed antibiotics back in around December last year and I suffered side effects from both of them so my gp put me on doxycycline in January and I couldn't be happier! During the first 1-2 weeks i didn't really notice much improvement but after that my skin has cleared up dramatically and I finally feel confident again. Unfortunately what I found was that if you run out of the medication therefore are unable to take a tablet for a couple of days, the acne returns (not severely in my case but all the same) which makes me wonder how long I'll have to be on the medication for. But definitely 10/10!!"

Anonymous April 2, 2016

"This worked great for me for about a year until I saw my acne come back and the medication stopped working so I had to switch back to a different antibiotic"

Mjasinski (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2016

"I was told I had roseace acne last year. my Doc gave me cream after cream and nothing worked , she then gave doxycycline 100mg to take twice a day for 3 mts to see how The roseace acne started to clear up my face. My Gp lower the dose after 6mth to one a day so I decided to carry on with it I didn't have any problems with them at all, I took them for 9 mths in total so I decided to stop I told my doc I needed a break. She did say the roseace will come back , well...what can I say it came back !!!. I went after 3 mts trying to delay it as long as possible i went back to the docs and she put me back on doxycycline 1 a day, and in 2 weeks and it's working . All I have to say is that this tablets works different on each person. It works for me."

Savy2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2016

"I have been using this drug for acne for 3 weeks and it has not helped my acne. I gave it three stars because it has no bad side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

"My son took Doxycycline for three months. It did nothing for his acne and it ruined his stomach. We are concerned that his stomach will never be the same. He has a clear face from accutane and we wish we had skipped the doxycycline."

Anonymous March 25, 2016

"I've taken it for about 7 months now and still getting acne I use it with other topical creams and can see that this medication does make a difference though"

11113333 March 25, 2016

"I'm a 19 year old girl and I have moderate to severe acne. I eat healthy! I drink only water, no sodas or juices. I'm active I'm in college and do ballet. But I sturggled with horrible acne since 6th grade. I started doxy about a month ago only 15mg and I can already see the redness fading. Some days are worse then others but I'm hopeful this medication will help! My older sister had been on it for two months and her severe acne is looking amazing! I'm still getting over the "bad" before the good but I'm starting to see improvements "

Breee19 March 17, 2016

"Before in 2015 I took doxycycline for 3 months and it barely did anything to my skin. I guess I could say it helped by 10% but that's it. My acne kept appearing and eventually I stopped because it wasn't working. So later in 2016 I was desperate so I started doxycycline again and now I've almost been on it for a month and I can say that it hasn't helped my hormonal acne AT ALL. But I don't have much medicine to resort to help with my persistent acne so I'm hoping it gets a little better. My diet is very clean with no dairy and still I don't see an improvement with this medicine."

Elavence (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

"I was on 50mg of doxocycline as well as using tretanoin cream for about 15 days and it made my acne worse, and for about a week my skin was very dry. I went back to the doctors and have stopped using the cream now I am on an 100mg dose of doxocycline and have been for about 2 weeks and haven't seen any improvement. But I'll update soon. I'm 18 and am prone to acne because of my dads genes. It covers most of my right cheek and chin, and a few spots here and there on the rest of my face but it had gotten worse on my forehead and other cheek but I'm not sure if that was from the medication or if that was going to happen regardless. I have tried a lot of different ways to clear my skin, antibacterial washes and medicated washes, hope this works"

Friends12345 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

"It works like MAGIC but as soon as you stop taking it, the acne comes back so once you take it you will have to stick to it for a really long time unfortunately which is not good for overall well being"

Anonymous March 11, 2016

"I have been using doxycycline 100mg 1 a day, for about a month and it has definitely made a difference in my face, the acne isn't completely gone,but it is a lot much better than it was before.Can't wait to see my face clear again! Doxycycline WORKS!!!"

Jayyyy! March 9, 2016

"It really does work! Be very aware that it gets worse before it gets better, I'm on my third month and the results are really starting to come. Also what helped me was Clinique sonic brush, with the normal skin face wash and the oil control moisturiser! The stuff does miracles. Expensive but so worth it."

Lewisbee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016