User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 429 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I been taking this med for 3weeks and i dont see much results I was hoping to see "better" results as soon as i started taking it but no :/ </3 i'm getting dissapointed I'm only 23yrs old and i have bad acne as much as I pretend I dont care i do so i really hope it works at some point and have am Okay face :("

Xoxoko May 20, 2016

"I've been suffering from acne ever since I hit 12; which has been 10 years from since. I've tried so many things from topical creams to all sorts of drugstore treatments like anti-acne cleansers, gels, essential oils or exfoliating treatments which none has ever worked out for me. I've also changed my pillow cases more frequently and tried to drink green juices but they did very little. I also suffered from "textures" throughout my face and my body (chest and back). I tried to exfoliate these bumps almost on a daily basis, but it didn't work out well. Anyways I've taken these meds for about 4 weeks now and I've seen huge improvements and I'm clearing up and no more new acne at all. (Wanted to give more info but word limit)"

Brian Neo (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Doryx (doxycycline): "I got prescribed Doryx, along with two topicals, Aczone in the morning and Ziana at night, when I was having moderate acne. I never have had extremely bad acne but I started to get multiple extremely painful pimples so I decided to get some treatment. The Doryx along with the two topicals work great, still get a few pimples here and there but much better than before. HOWEVER, with the coverage on my insurance this pill costs me $75 for a bottle of 30, 200mg tablets. It was $25 when I first started taking it about a year and a half ago and has just gone up in price ever since. Works great but is extremely expensive in my opinion."

Sxanb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2016

"Hi iv been taking this medication for 2 months now my first month was twice a day 100mg and this month iam taking once a day and it was really helped my skin clear up, also i read a few comments and alot of you girls get sick from it , and i did as well but take it with food!!!! Never on an empty stomatch that will make you feel sick and vomit!! Try taking with with food and see if it gets better!!! I hope this helps and let me know !! Thanks"

Marina1010 May 14, 2016

"READ WHOLE THING- I had mild acne before going on doxy, which I took for about 3 months. I wasn't breaking out quite as much at that point, but I still got occasional blemishes. I'm not sure if the meds caused this improvement but it wasn't that significant of a difference. I wasn't breaking out as much but for some reason every single zit that popped up would leave a dark red mark (no scar tissue or indentation, just coloration) and these marks did NOT fade for months. My cheeks looked as If I had tons of acne even though I would only have one active breakout at a time. I had never heard of doxycycline causing something like this, but I decided to stop the meds and within a few weeks the discoloration drastically improved."

Bradne11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

"I've been in doxy for a about 3 weeks straight now. My skin isint getting any worse, but it's not getting any better either. It also makes me so nauseas and I throw up sometimes. It doesn't seem worth it to me right now for the medication to be doing nothing except making me sick."

Cupcakejbvyubb May 11, 2016

"I have been on Acticlate for 2 weeks now. The first week was awful. My face broke out all over and I become very worried. Tomorrow it'll be 2 weeks that I have been taking it and my face has cleared up soooo much. When you first start taking it is when the pill starts to bring up the nasty stuff from under your skin. It gets worse before it gets better."

ansss7329 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"I have mild acne around my chin, some bumps on my forehead, and black heads (which caused in large poors) on my nose down to my cheeks. A year ago I've have 3 flare up of inflamed cystic acne that would last for months until a dr had to inject steroids into it. My doctor put me on doxycycline 50mg 2x a day, as well as epido topical gel ointment. No complaints on the doxy but as for epido, the third day I used it it made my face extremely sensitive and dry to the point it stings when I put moisturizer on. I've stopped it until stinging settles down, then I'm going to apply every other day instead of every day."

Kimberly B (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I just started acticlate about a week ago and I'll be honest, my face is 20x worse . I only get acne around my chin area, and I have never seen it this bad . BUT I have noticed I am starting to see slight improvement and I believe that it gets worse before it gets better . I will continue this product and hopefully have clear skin before long !"

Alia172916 April 27, 2016

"I am 31 years old male and currently taking 100mg once a day. I have taken doxy 3 years ago for 4 months and it definitely worked like a miracle back then. I am glad my skin stayed fine for 3 years!! Sad part is..its back again! I never had any side effects especially if you are having plenty of fluids and not mixing with other supplements such as Iron and multivits tablets. In the beginning I felt as if my skin was more responsive to hot and cold temperatures but it's gone now. I would highly recommend doxy to all suffering from mild to severe acnes BUT you have to be patient to see it working!"

technorayyan (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

"I've started this medication about three weeks ago and so far I'm a bit satisfied. I used this medication before, and this medication is suppose to make your acne ALOT worse because it takes all the bad stuff out of your body. The first 2 weeks were absolutely horrible, a would wake up with 3-5 new cystic pimples on my face and back everyday. When I used this before, I remember that it took me almost 4 months to be totally clear. The thing is to have LOTS of patience, because the first weeks are frustrating. I'm reaching to week 4 and in a year worth of the pills and I'm starting to see improvement on my complexion and less redness, as well as the pimple minimizing. I will put an update once I see dramatic results."

Anonymous Joe April 23, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline for almost 4 weeks now, twice a day. My skin has really started to get better but recently I started getting nauseous after taking. The nausea usually subsides in 20 minutes, so I just used to deal with it. Avoid taking it before a car ride/playing a game/sport etc because that triggers nausea. It's a miracle drug and I hope ot works that way for you. P.S. Its true, it gets worse before it gets better"

AnneN (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"Been taking doxy for 3 months now. Before doxy, I had mild acne on my forehead and some cystic ones that I would get around my period. Anyway, so I'm taking 100mg doxy twice per day + Tretinoin + Acanya. I don't have pimples anymore but still have some dark spots. If I should get a pimple it would be a really small one and usually it's dried out after a day or two. Today I went back to my dermatologist for check up and she put me on doxy again for another 3 months (so six months in total). She said she's adding another 3 months so that I will be completely breakout free. Only bad side effect I had with doxy is sometimes it makes me throw up."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I'm a 19 year old female and my skin was perfect until I turned about 17. Then it still wasn't too bad, a couple of pimples every now and then. It started to get worse over the last couple of months, mild acne, so I was prescribed doxycycline 50mg once daily. I have been on it for three weeks now and my skin is worse than it has ever been. My face is covered in huge red sore bumps and I have scarring everywhere. I wake up with at least three new pimples a day. I am about to give up on this stuff because it has made my skin 10 times worse than it ever was. I have heard it gets worse before it gets better but I've read it usually only takes 2-3 weeks to see improvement but it doesn't look like it will be getting better anytime soon."

Taybow (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

"I've been using this for acne. I've always had acne but about a month ago I had a crazy Breakout/flare out that extended from my hairline down my jaw line down my neck. Crazy?!?!! So I rang to my derm & he prescribed this 100mg 2x a day along with clindamycin topical solution & I've seen results in my first week! I read all the reviews so I was afraid of "it gets worst before it gets better" thankfully that wasn't the case for me. Honestly, this medicine has been amazing. I've followed it to the tee. No food 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after because it works best on an empty stomach. I've been lucky that I haven't had any side effects. It's been great at preventing breakouts so overall I'm super happy with this medication."

Lorenita728 April 10, 2016

"So I recently developed cystic acne, presumably because of my change in make-up foundation. This has never happened and it looks really bad, because it's mostly on my cheeks and the sides of my mouth, it's HIDEOUS. I went to my GP and got doxy (50mg) and an Epiduo gel. The gel was burning my skin and it also made my face VERY dry and super sensitive, so I stopped it. I'm still on the doxy and I'm eating it twice a day, for almost a week now... My skin is still super dry and it looks so bad... My acne has toned down, however.. stopped with the redness and also lesser "active" acne. The only problem now is that my skin is very dry and it's very sensitive (even when i put on moisturiser it hurts)"

cysticanon April 8, 2016

"I'm 24 and I started getting acne when I was 23.. Only on my chin area. I would get 1-3 cystic pimples at a time then, a few "normal" ones around them with constant clogged pores. I tried everything for a year, diet change, different contraceptive pill, naturopathy, medicated face cleansers, antibiotic ointment, anti fungal antibiotics. Nothing worked, until I was prescribed Doxycycline, and a topical cream of Epiduo. Doxycycline has worked, I have been on it for 70 days now and my skin is smooth and clear, although it was a tough journey. I had sensitive skin, drying skin, and lots of sore pimples coming out (more than usual) Push through that because it does take time. Epiduo was good to help the inflammation.. Don't apply much!"

PaulaaaD April 6, 2016

"Been taking this for about 2 months, done absolutely nothing but pull acne out. If you want good results fast definitely do not go for this. I doubt that it will ever clear up at this rate. 4/10 only because it helped a little bit of zits go away."

Braxy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"I had taken doxy along with birth control pills when I was 16 to help combat my acne. And it worked wonders my face was always clear. Now however 3 years later I tried to start taking it again but without the birth control since I now have an IUD my face is horrible. It's worse than it was when I wasn't taking anything at all. I know it's supposed to get worse before it gets better but damn it's been about 3 months now on it for the second time and my face it so red with constant breakouts. I think I'm going to try Accutane."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

"I've been on Doxycycline for 4 weeks. I haven't seen any improvement with my adult hormonal acne around my mouth."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

"Doxycycline definitely works!! I've suffered from moderate to severe acne since year 6 and I'm now in year 10. I started trying different prescribed antibiotics back in around December last year and I suffered side effects from both of them so my gp put me on doxycycline in January and I couldn't be happier! During the first 1-2 weeks i didn't really notice much improvement but after that my skin has cleared up dramatically and I finally feel confident again. Unfortunately what I found was that if you run out of the medication therefore are unable to take a tablet for a couple of days, the acne returns (not severely in my case but all the same) which makes me wonder how long I'll have to be on the medication for. But definitely 10/10!!"

Anonymous April 2, 2016

"This worked great for me for about a year until I saw my acne come back and the medication stopped working so I had to switch back to a different antibiotic"

Mjasinski (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2016

"I was told I had roseace acne last year. my Doc gave me cream after cream and nothing worked , she then gave doxycycline 100mg to take twice a day for 3 mts to see how The roseace acne started to clear up my face. My Gp lower the dose after 6mth to one a day so I decided to carry on with it I didn't have any problems with them at all, I took them for 9 mths in total so I decided to stop I told my doc I needed a break. She did say the roseace will come back , well...what can I say it came back !!!. I went after 3 mts trying to delay it as long as possible i went back to the docs and she put me back on doxycycline 1 a day, and in 2 weeks and it's working . All I have to say is that this tablets works different on each person. It works for me."

Savy2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2016

"I have been using this drug for acne for 3 weeks and it has not helped my acne. I gave it three stars because it has no bad side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

"My son took Doxycycline for three months. It did nothing for his acne and it ruined his stomach. We are concerned that his stomach will never be the same. He has a clear face from accutane and we wish we had skipped the doxycycline."

Anonymous March 25, 2016