Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Review by Adultacnesuxs (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking doxycycline for 2 years now and in that time it has been a God send. But unfortunately in the past month I have had a huge breakout, I feel very self concious at the moment. I do all I can to avoid going out, and I absolutely get so anxious on the days I have to take my daughter to school and can't rely on my husband.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 7:46 AM

Review by Angle baby:

This pill is the best I ever had! I can't believe the difference. I'm so happy!! No painful acne whatsoever. My blemishes are also fading away. I never thought in a million years my skin would look this good. I struggled with acne since I was 12. It got worse when I Got older. I've been on doxycycline hyclate for about 5 months. My skin looks great. I'm just worried that once I'm off these pills my acne will all come back again. I just hope it doesn't.

March 22, 2015 8:28 PM

Review by Jim W (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My acne started when in my 20's and I struggled with it for about 30 years with various levels of success and complications. I took a job managing a dermatology practice and one of the doctors put me on some topical stuff that just tore my face up. A visiting phamacutical rep kindly pushed a bag towards me one day and hinted that it might work a bunch better than what I was using. Doxycycline has been a miracle for me... most days 50mg and occasionally during a flare, I'll take one each 12h. Results (after 30 years of struggle) have been nearly ideal... Can't recommend this treatment enough.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 12:54 PM

Review by Sragle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

While it has worked for my acne (amazingly), the side effects have included tingling of the arm/face/hand, headaches, nausea, diarrhea, chest pain, & dizziness. I will have to cease taking it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 9:13 PM

Review by Naiomi122445:

So my dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline about 3yrs ago for 12 months and after seeing results he increased the time period to 18months. While I was on this my acne and zits showed a significant reduction, though they weren't totally gone. But after medication they started coming back and its been a nightmare since then.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2015 9:41 PM

Review by guest123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

let me say I am 20, started off with tiny blackheads all over my head and a couple big pimples on my chin. I used this combined with tretinoine .1% cream. THIS TAKES TIME. I read up on this website while using it. first 3-4 weeks of using this and the creme I've had the WORST acne I have ever had in my life. almost like cysts all over my forehead and chin. it gets better as everyone says. I almost quit but now 2 months in, my face is clear but now I have scarring which I never had before. I am going back to the derm in a week and we will see how it goes. PATIENCE IS KEY!! don't give up! I almost did

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 6:11 PM

Review by Nikki Davis:

So I've been on the Doxycycline for a week now and I already notice a difference in my skin. For a person who's alergic to benzoyl peroxide (main ingredient in acne medications) it was hard to find something for my acne. The only downfall I experience is the nausea and yeast infections.

February 11, 2015 10:02 PM

Review by frustratedteen (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 14 and just started taking doxycycline after going to a doctor for acne that just started at the beginning of the year. I have been on the medicine for about a month and a half and am very frustrated because i feel like my acne has gotten worse. After reading all these reviews I am gonna stick with it and hope it will work.

February 11, 2015 12:23 PM

For those who are dealing with symptom, make sure to take a full meal before you eat for me it eliminated the nausea completely. If I take it to long after I take the medication or don't eat I'll either vomit or can barely move with nausea.

January 9, 2015 7:29 AM

Review by miw (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had acne, and found doxycycline awesome.

December 30, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by emh225 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Doxycycline because I was in a Malaria country, and it was required. My doctor there said that it would also help with my mid-severe cystic acne, and it totally did. I am back in the States now, after 4 months of being abroad, and am still taking Doxy for my skin. For those of you experiencing an upset stomach, eat BEFORE you take it, and stay upright for a half hour after. If you don't eat before, you will throw up. And it needs to be substantial, not just a cracker.

December 22, 2014 7:37 PM

Review by assorted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had moderate acne since I was 16 (now 23) and I have tried just about everything I can think of and I was finally put on doxycycline 100mg to take once a day for 3 months. Although I experienced headaches and nausea in the first week, it has since stopped and I feel no side effects (so stick it out for at least a week to see if they stop). I am now in the middle of the second month and although my acne has diminished a little bit, I am still getting some new pimples pop up (smaller than usual which is good), but my skin has not completely cleared. I am also on this medication for extremely bad ingrown hairs in the groin area and although the medication is helping, it hasn't stopped those either. It definitely helped though.

December 19, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by acne for 6 years (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started doxycycline for 6 weeks now 100mg 2x daily. I gotta say the redness really did go down A LOT. But I still have tiny red spots left. Also a lot of scarring. I have acne on my nose too and my nose is taking a little longer to heal then the rest of my face. Had only like 2-3 big pimple breakouts. I don't think this works on huge cyst papules/nodule type of cysts. So my dermatologist injected cortisone into a big cyst on my jawline. Only effects were bad nausea but it wont happen if you eat a good meal and take it within 1hour.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Jay402:

I have been taking the doxycycline for about 1 week now consistently and I have seen tremendous change. One thing about is medication is that you must have patience. It will get worse before it gets better! In addition to taking the doxycycline I also used adapalene to control the breakouts that the doxycycline pushes out. This is coming from someone that has dealt with acne for years and has never found anything that works.

December 17, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by Berrya:

Everytime winter comes around I start to break out really bad. Everybody used to tell me where does this acne come from since I don't get it all year but the winter. My teacher recommended it for me since her daughter used it. I immediately went to the dermatologist and told him I need to take doxycycline. I started taking it and haven't broke out since! This is great!

December 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by mcfl3:

When I use doxy, prescribed by my dermatologist it works well with occasional breakouts...problem is when I stop using, and Dr makes me stop after being on for 3 months, go off for 1..well...my face explodes! Severe acne all over..I'm 40 yrs old and am SO exhausted over trying to clear up my face. Thank goodness I can cover up with make up. Also I use Retinol..Ziana and a face wash also prescribed by Dr at the time! Frustrated.

November 29, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started this in August it broke my face out terribly I play college soccer and was extremely sun burned all season it is now November and my face hasn't improved much at all.

November 28, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Veevee9269:

Monodox (doxycycline): Low self esteem, not wanting to leave the house, not being able to stay in a relationship because I was so self conscious and miserable, always walking with my head down, couldn't look people in the face, couldn't walk out the house without makeup (although it didn't cover the bumps). I cried almost everyday and hated my life. It all changed in 5 months. I've never seen my face so clear. I'm finally getting my confidence back. Yes it did take some time for the results to fully kick in, but it did work for me and I'm so happy I finally went to the dermatologist after trying a million and one products that never worked; changed my entire diet and drank water and it never work. But Monodox along with Ziana gel definitely changed my life.

November 20, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by ItGetsBetterDontGiveUp:

Generally my acne went away with use of clindamycin cream for a 7 month period. But I got two giant pustules and I was prescribed doxycycline 100mg once a day to treat these issues. The third week my acne got awful but by week 4 it cleared up. I still get zits but no major acne. Overall its been good but I have only been on it a month so I think by month 2 or 3 it will be gone. Stick with it and don't give up.

November 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking this for awhile and it's worked the best out of everything I've tried. I still do get the occasional breakout and pimple around my period, but has drastically reduced my acne overall.

November 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by Lily jo (taken for less than 1 month):

I had severe acne as a teenager and Doxycycline did not have an effect. I ended up taking Roaccutane which eventually left me with clear skin for 8 years. However, the last 9 months I have had a reoccurrence of moderate acne and was prescribed Doxycycline. I was convinced it would have no effect again but within 3 days I saw an improvement. Now after 2 weeks I have had no new spots. The first few days it made me feel really nauseous but more bearable if I take it with a meal and lots of water.

November 7, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Kevin 93:

I was issued this when I went to Afghanistan to prevent malaria. I didn't take it like many of us in my unit. Ever since moving to Georgia and joining the military I've had acne, it breaks out very badly. My medic overseas asked me if I was taking my doxy and I told him I wasnt. He let me know that it was commonly used as acne medication and that's when I started using it. 100-200mg per day after a few days completely cleared up my skin, after a week I looked like I did in highschool I've never been happier and th rest is history, I highly recommend this product

November 6, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by Dinaxo:

I've been taking Doxycycline 50 mg once a day for my acne for about 3 weeks now and I'm finally seeing results. My skin is looking so good and better than ever. I'm so happy I can cry. The first 2 weeks seemed to almost make it worse but I didn't give up and I'm glad I didn't. I recommend it!

October 30, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by InfoSecMom4 (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication is effective for acne. Within a couple days I noticed a difference. I had to stop using it because it caused severe nausea and occasional vomiting.

October 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Luis K. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm writing as a dad, age 46, for my son age 14. My boy has relatively bad acne problems for 2 years and it has been worrying.. I brought him to a family doctor (General Practitioner) for advice and was prescribed with Doxycycline 100MG (1 tab every night). It has been a month now and his condition has improved quite substantially, about 70% improvement. He also washes his face more regularly, about every 3-4 hours using very quick gentle/light rinse with water on very mild facial-wash. I would definitely recommend people with acne problems to seek his/her doctor's approval for this medication. It helps.

October 25, 2014 4:02 PM