User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, ...show all 24 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 462 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I started taking dox around 2 years ago- I have really oily skin and have regular breakouts around my T-Zone. I never thought my acne was that bad until my mum eventually convinced me to book an appointment. I was skeptical at first; the creams didn't work for me and just dried my skin badly, but the thought of taking a tablet freaked me out a little. Despite this, I agreed to a 3 month course. By the time the course was finished, my skin was completely clear, I looked like a completely different person! It's important to remember, however, that this medication is incredible, but It does take time! You can't expect your skin to be crystal clear within 3 weeks! There's a reason for the course times, so be patient! Good luck!"

poldood February 5, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for 12 weeks (3 months). So far there has been some improvement but I still get new ones on my face frequently. It is barely working and I still look like crap. Those of you who are on week 2 and complaining about it not working it takes time IT WILL NEVER CLEAR UP IN 2 WEEKS. The sooner you realize this the happier you will become. If this med doesn't start working soon it looks like I am heading towards accutane. I wish you all good luck on your journey. P.S. I also am applying retina-a and clindamycine daily."

Alex12345678910 February 5, 2016

"I have moderately severe acne. I've tried all topicals and nothing has worked for me. I finally went to a dermatologist March of 2015, 90 days of doxy 100mg as well as differin cream. I noticed a huge difference fairly quick. At the end of I would say 30 days my skin was totally clear, minus my scaring! I continued to take the rest of my prescription. This antibiotic doesn't have permanent results. I was 100% clear for 7 months, it slowly came back around month 6 and now I am starting a new cycle of the same thing. The side effects were zero for me, I've heard accutane (where the results are a lot more permanent) has made some people suicidal so I have no objections to doing this once a year!"

hayley44 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2016

"I've suffered from acne for about 7 years and finally decided to go to the doctors about it. It was the best decision I've ever made. I've been on this drug for just over a month along with a cream I use every night (duac). My skin has cleared up dramatically. It has been amazing. I've experienced no side effects from using the drug but I know everyone is different. It has seriously changed my life"

Anonymous February 1, 2016

"I currently have moderately severe acne which has resulted in anxiety, depression and generally feeling hopeless and i cannot tell you how hopeful I am that this may be the answer. I have only been taking this medication for 6 days (50mg a day) alongside birth control pill Diannette (brenda) and my skin already appears to be clearing, I am amazed because I have tried absolutely everything including accutane which gave me some horrendous side effects. Initially I had a small break out but these pimples already seem to be healing. The only side effect I have experienced is feeling like throwing up I will post a further update when I have finished the course. But I am Hopeful!"

SaraOwen06 February 1, 2016

"I have been on doxy almost three weeks and have seen no improvement whatsoever. Absolute waste of time, I do not recommend it."

moz1 January 29, 2016

"So I am on day 2 of doxycycilne I have had acne for almost a year now it went from moderate to severe. Thats when I decided to go to a dermatologist. So I haven't had any side affects eating a big meal and drinking a lot of water with the pill helps from having nausea and stomach aches well I will check in in a few weeks about my progress."

Nice90 January 29, 2016

"I have inflammed acne and I was on a different medication that made my skin super sensitive and extremely red, but took away the swelling of pimples but every time I would touch it it turned bright red so I switched to doxycycline and after week 2 my skin has been pretty strong and less red! I'm liking it better than the other one, I'm on week 3 and I'm seeing some improvement, hope it keeps going this way! I would definitely recommend it!"

Anonymous January 29, 2016

"I have been on dox for 2 months and it has proved a miracle for me ! I just hope my acne wouldn't come back after stopping. I'm using it with no topical cream ! I'm taking 100 mg once daily after 2 hours of dinner ( prescribed by my doctor) and good results !"

Ujala January 24, 2016

"It works like a charm. Thank you doxycycline."

Bobo7 January 22, 2016

"Was prescribed Doxy for unrelated condition. Face began clearing of redness within the first week. Almost normal by second. Didn't expect this!"

Klaatu42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"My 17 year old son began Doxycycline 7 weeks ago. When the Dermatologist said it would "probably get worse before it gets better", she wasn't kidding. He broke out in places that he never had acne before....especially on the forehead and they were large, red, and painful. He became so discouraged and wanted to stop taking it, but after reading reviews about keeping up with it, I encouraged him to stick it out. Now, starting week 7, we are finally seeing results. The pimples are fewer and smaller in size and the red spots from old pimples are fading. I have to admit that I had my doubts, but the change us definitely happening. Bottom line......stay the course. Also, my son is using Tretinoin as a topical cream in conjunction to Doxy."

Momoftwinsplus1 January 18, 2016

"I started using doxycycline tablets around 1 month ago for my comadonal acne/pustules. During the first week, I did not think it would work and actually got even more breakouts, I almost gave up. After that it was amazing, The inflammation reduced significantly and the redness almost completely stopped. I recommend a regimen including Retin-A topical cream 0.1%, Doxycycline tablets and Cerave Moisturizer along with any cleanser you choose. I recommend taking the tablet with food and water to reduce bloating and nausea. Take as prescribed. The regimen and doxycycline should work on regular-oily skin type. I hope this helps, check out the other items in the regimen. Thanks guys!!!!"

Dr. Gorantla January 15, 2016

"Only been taking it for a week and it is great though it makes you really nauseous"

jack0001 January 12, 2016

"I have severe acne and this did close to nothing as well as every other thing dermantologists prescribe. :)"

Jacob317285 January 11, 2016

Monodox (doxycycline): "I've been using this medication for nearly 3 months now and I had under skin acne or blackheads I tried deep cleansing for a year and many other medications I tried retin-a and it removed my under skin blackheads but made my skin red .. After I used this pill it actually worked really well at least until now. I recommend this as it made my skin better. But I don't know if I stop taking it my acne will come back or not. And the beautiful thing about this medication is that u don't have to worry about your skin anymore because its clear"

Nazakur January 2, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline antibiotics for 4 weeks and started epiduo 3 weeks prior. My Skin is dramatically worse than it ever was before and I wish I had never gone to my dermatologist regarding my skin. I had minor breakouts on my cheeks but was ungrateful of my otherwise clear skin and now I have terrible acne everywhere. Some say that it will eventually get better and my skin will be glowing... But my skin was not bad enough in the first place to go through this hell for clear skin."

P24h (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

"I started breaking out all around my chin and cheeks a week ago and the pimples got really red and started burning like crazy and I couldn't take it anymore so I went to a doctor who prescribed me doxycycline and all of the burning craziness was gone virtually the next day. It did make my skin peel a little where the pimples had been but nothing a good moisturizer couldn't fix."

Potatoesgonnapotate (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2016

"I've been taking dox for 3 months and I'll be stopping soon because I was only prescribed for 3 months. At first I thought it would not work but I kept taking it and after 1 and a half month my face cleared. There was no acne on my face anymore, and even tho when it is my time of the month I don't get acne. But be sure to take full meal before taking it, I think I threw up 3 times because I forgot to take it after I had eaten. My only problem now is that I hope after I stop the acne won't come back anymore. Fingers crossed."

bbeggy December 29, 2015

"I have been suffering moderate acne all my life that has left me with some scars. I tried over the counter products such as benzac, epi duo, yet nothing worked so I went to see my doctor and they prescribed me doxycycline (50mg) and within the first 3 days of using the medicine combined with epi duo cream about 50% of my face has already cleared up."

JensenWinchester20 December 25, 2015

"I've been on doxy for almost 20 days and have seen no improvement. I'm hoping that it begins to work for me soon. Also, I took my pill one morning before I had eaten breakfast and became very nauseous. I was driving and had to pull over and then I threw up. Make sure you take it with a full meal."

Sad skin (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"OH. MY. GOD. This medication is an absolute MIRACLE!! I started having terrible acne when I got into my early 20s, it was all over my t-zone. My family, friends, coworkers... Basically everyone put me down about it for years until I had zero self-esteem left. It was the worst time of my life. I tried countless over the counter creams & if anything, they all made it worse. So I knew I had to go see a dermatologist asap. First, he prescribed me a topical cream which of course, made it worse. I went back & told him I need oral medication because no topical creams work on me. He finally prescribed me Acticlate & within a month or two, my face cleared up dramatically. People now tell me how great my skin looks!"

T.S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"For the past couple of months my face just exploded with acne really bad. My whole face was covered and even my neck. Lots and lots of blackheads and lots of acne deep in my cheeks. I went to the Doctor and was prescribed doxycycline to take one every night and a topical cream duac to also be used at night. For me it definitely became worse before it got better. At the three week mark I got more acne and it was red and I was going to give up but I kept going and at 7 weeks it's now mostly gone. I do have a few left but my skin is so much smoother and clearer. I also want to say that during this I had began a new lifestyle change where I became vegetarian and cut out dairy. I also go to the gym regularly so I'm sure all these combined helped me."

Nikkinikki December 15, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "I got this medicine in September and my face got bad then cleared up, but i kept going through a cycle: clear up, get better over and over. It's mid December now and I haven't cleared up in weeks. I also have back, shoulder, and chest acne. It did nothing to that. I'm going to switch antibiotics soon"

B$ December 15, 2015

"I always had pretty great skin until now, and although I wasn't appreciative at the time, I would give anything to have it back. A few months ago I started breaking out on my cheeks very badly and it has been constantly bad since. My doctor prescribed me a topical cream that has done nothing. Now for the past few weeks my forehead has been breaking out horribly which has never happened before. I've been on doxy for a week now (100mg twice a day) and I have seen no improvement. Granted I have only been on it for a week, but it definitely does not seem like a miracle drug. I am trying to stay hopeful though!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015