User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 454 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I have suffered from acne since I can remember! I'm now 16 and it's hopefully starting to go forever. I've tried so many different types of diets, creams, pills and anything that might help my acne. I have been on roacutane which was AMAZING.. But my acne sadly came crawling right back. I left it a few years till I finally went back to the dermatologist and they put me on doxycycline. At first my skin cleared up right away then I started to get a few blemishes here and there but my skin is definitely way better than it used to be and I really recommend doxycycline if you don't want to go on very harsh treatments like roacutane. I'm also using differin cream and originally used the gel but that was too harsh so I changed to the cream."

Janosieber (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2015

"I have had cystic acne for about 5 years now I have tried almost everything to clear my skin, from proactive to neutrogena to benzoyl peroxide cream,etc I mean almost EVERYTHING & now I'm just tired of it! So me and my mom made a appointment with the doctor to get a referral for the dermatologist but the doctor said Accutane is like the last choice... so she just prescribed me doxycycline for my acne. I've been on it for only about 4 days and I'm already seeing great results , hopefully it keeps working and doesn't get WORST... By the way I also have it on my chest, arms, shoulders, & back, this is my last hope.:/"

Cocoa_100 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

"I've suffered from acne since I was 11, and I am now 16. My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline twice a day when I was 15. After a few weeks of faithfully taking it like she said, my skin started to clear up nicely. I still proceeded to have a few blemishes but nothing major. After three months, my dermatologist took me off doxycycline after seeing my improvement. She left me with the topical Ziana. My skin stayed pretty good after that. But about two months later, my acne started to get worse again. The Ziana didn't help me at all. So she gave me a new topical but it just dries my skin out very badly so I don't use it often. Last week, she put me back on doxycycline. No improvement yet, but I'm hoping it will clear my skin up."

Pnut7155 June 27, 2015

"I have suffered with various forms of acne since I was a child of nine years of age and I am now 54 years old. I had taken Accutane for cystic acne and finished a course in 2013 when I started to break out again in small pimples in late 2013. I started Periostat in 2014 and have not gotten any better. The pimples have gotten worse. They are all over my face, raised and hard. It looks like I have a rash. I am African-American and have hyperpigmentation so when every pimple heals it turns brown. My face is a mess and my dermatologist doesn't really know what to do. I take the pills twice a day and use clindamycin topical lotion all to no avail."

mp5442st (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

"I have adult cystic acne that was very painful all along the chin and around the mouth. A week on the doxycycline cleared up my face and I had only very minimal pimples (and not cystic) for a few weeks after. But after three months it is completely gone. Not sure what will happen when I come off it! Keep your fingers crossed for me."

Hjpease June 20, 2015

"This helped my moderate hormonal acne so much. At first I was scared to use it because of all the reviews I read saying how it causes you to purge before it gets better. Luckily for me I did not have to go through that. It worked immediately! I was taking 50 mg doxy bid with tretinoin 0.05% gel applied topically at night. My face was smooth as butter. Eventually I stopped using the gel and just the doxy and it cleared my skin right up. Now I get a few pimples here and there around the time of my period."

Pampampam (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "I have only been on doryx for about a week, but my acne has almost completely cleared up. And I have had no new acne since starting. Definitely the best acne treatment I've tried."

Sean O June 15, 2015

"I've had acne since I was 12 and had tried several topical antibiotics but they never seemed to work. I went to the Dr and he prescribed me 100 mg doxycycline hyclate once a day and duac gel twice a day. The first few weeks it dried my face out but not TOO bad.. Just be sure to stay moisturized and drink lots of water other wise it'll be worse. After about a month I seen results here and there but I'd still break out. 2nd month started to get a little better. I'm now on my 3rd month (almost finished) and I honestly can't believe how much of a difference I see from when I first started taking it. All I have is a few scars but that's NOTHING. I'm so excited!! I've been waiting for this day forever :) I highly recommend it."

Miriam Petty June 13, 2015

"I had severe acne and after a few months since starting the medication, I saw extreme results. Now, 1.5 years since starting the medication, I have been acne free for over a year. Best choice my doctor and I have ever made."

far456 June 9, 2015

"I had to take doxy when I went to Laos to prevent malaria. When my doctor was prescribing my medication, he noticed that I had pretty bad acne and he mentioned that doxy helps to clear it up. I have had no side effect over the 13 or 14 days that I've been using it, and when I got back from Laos, my skin was honestly so much better. I actually expected it to be worse due to the sanitation levels there, but it's smooth, its less red, the pimples are leaving my face, and honestly it has been a godsent for me. The only problem would be how to get more and if I should stop, because I don't have a dermatologist and I don't really want to continue on antibiotics for a long time."

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

"Hello I have had severe acne for almost 10 years. I carried on because I don't have enough money to check in dermatologists. And thankful of my boss he bought me to the hospital here in Kuwait Adan. Doctors give me the medicine doxycycline and taking for 1 month and also cream Ipeduo and now thanks be to God the acne cleared. And now am comfortable with my face and when I look in the mirror happy and can smile without curiosity. Thanks doxycycline and Ipidou cream"

Star1517 June 4, 2015

"I've been on the medication for like 2 weeks and have seen no difference I hope it starts to work soon"

Katie27843 June 1, 2015

"Only got a 5 because it worked amazingly with my cystic acne, but after almost 3 months the side effects have become unbearable. My chest and throat hurt like hell, swallowing water feels like I tried to eat a brillo pad. I've been avoiding eating because it hurts so much. Doctor took me off it, but says my body has to heal up on it's own. If you start having stomach problems, beware. I told my doctor and she said to take it with food and I'll be fine. BULL! This throat is chest pain is almost as bad as when I got my tonsils out. My Primary Care recommended birth control as an alternative. We'll see how that works."

Rayne Blackfire May 29, 2015

"I am a 27 year old female and I never had acne in my life up until about 8 months ago which continued to worsen over time. Eventually it got so bad I decided to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline and I was quite skeptical. The first three weeks I saw little to no improvement but after the fourth week everything cleared up so I decided I wouldn't need another prescription, this was a bad idea as after a week of being off doxycycline I started getting large painful zits in random spots so I asked my dermatologist for another prescription. I am on day 3 of my second prescription of doxycycline and everything is clear again. My only fear is that I can not have clear skin without taking antibiotics."

Rosie T May 29, 2015

"I was put on Solodyn but within days, my acne was getting worse and worse, which forced me to go to my dermatologist and ask for something else. She told me that antibiotics shouldn't make you "worst before it gets better", considering how it's supposed to work. After getting cortisone steroid shots on them, she put me on doxycycline and within days, my skin was getting better and better. I've been on it for 2 months now and I've only gotten maybe 1 or 2 small pimples and they would go away in 2-3 days tops. I'm also using clindamycin phosphate lotion 1% once a day at night and this combination has been amazing."

finally clear (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

Doryx (doxycycline): "Hi Everyone I have been on Doryx for nearly 3 months. The pimples on my face and back have gotten worse and worse I am constantly breaking out to be honest my face is worse being on this medication then it was before i started it."

sydaust88 May 25, 2015

"I've had acne for a long time, all my teen years into adulthood. I'm 29 now and finally asked my doctor to prescribe something. I'm about 3 wks into taking Doxycycline and I had noticed slight improvement until a few days ago. I just got my period and dear god, my acne is more cystic and crazy than ever! It's mainly on my cheeks and chin now (which seems to be what others have experienced on this medication) and they are large, painful and ugly. Ugh. I'm truly hoping this is the whole "getting worse before it gets better" thing. I'm gonna stick with it and hope that this is just a one time thing. I also began using the Acne Free Severe system with this med, so we shall see. Oh, and the first day I took the med, I vomited. Must eat prior!"

amylaub0707 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"I switched to doxycycline for my acne after Solodyn (which reduced the acne I was getting by about 50%). Prior to taking doxycycline, I had borderline cystic acne and lots of PIH/redness. Within two weeks, a lot of my acne sunk into my face and went 'inactive.' I still get about 5% of acne that I got prior to taking any medicine, but no more lingering cysts, just small pimples. I feel that doxycycline has been very effective for me, and the only side effect I have noticed some slight photosensitivity/higher chance of sunburn (this would be the case with any antibiotic). I've been on doxycycline for almost 3 months and plan to continue taking it. Now I'm just dealing with PIH!"

Alexander Noonz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I've been on doxycycline for about a week now and I am in love with how my skin looks! I've been reading reviews about people's skin getting really bad so I'm scared that will happen to me because I've struggled with severe acne for so many years and this is the best my skin has ever looked, I'm pretty much almost acne free!! I'm also using differin cream 0.1% and that is a lot nicer on my skin than the gel was. I highly recommend going to see if you are able to take this medication."

Janosieber (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"This is far from the godsend every one else has claimed it to be. I'm two months in and have witnessed almost no results, other than the zits are less large and less painful. But in no way are their less zits. As an added "bonus", my acne scare like never before. The scarring is impossible to get rid of and impossible to cover up. My acne was only moderate, so I had expected it to work. I'm frustrated, and disappointed. This was my last hope."

TrevorAllen1269 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

"I'm 16 and have mild acne and this helps and almost clears my acne fully, but it makes me gain weight, get headaches, and feel nauseous. So it's sort of a win-lose situation."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2015

"I was told by my doctor to take the doxycycline 100mg once a day for 3 months. So far it has been 3 weeks and I think my acne is getting worst. The first week my acne seemed to be improving. That was until the 2nd week it started getting worst. I'm starting to think it might be my period causing me to break out again. So I'm hoping I will see an improvement when its over. I have had no bad side effects which is great. After reading positive feedback on this I am really hoping to see a huge difference!! BE PATIENT"

bells2477 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"This is my 3rd month on doxycycline and my face have shown great improvements! I'm 19 with oily skin and before I had moderately severe acne with cysts, papules and pustules. At one point it hurt and annoyed me so much plus lowered my self esteem that I decided to meet a dermatologist . She prescribed 100mg of doxycycline along with 5% benzoyl peroxide to be taken daily . During the first month, it was horrible. My face broke out terribly but I guess that was a part of it, clearing out the disgusting stuff inside our face . In the second month my skin start to clear up, and now I can say that I'm 95% acne free with occasional small zits during period but nothing hurt as much as before. The point is, don't give up :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"While using this medication I have seen a huge difference my acne was so bad to where when I changed my facial expression it would hurt. I have been taking this pill for about four months now. My face is less oily for sure. But one thing I have noticed is that I have gotten back acne but it's not bad it just looks like scars. But about a month ago my eyes were starting to get really dry I am not sure if the pill did that or what but I had to take eye drops. I am supposed to take the pill in the morning and at night but since I go to school I don't have time to eat in the morning I don't take the pill in the morning. During my spring break I started to take it In The morning again and my eyes started to get dry agian. But I to recommend it"

Anonymous April 28, 2015

"Hey it's the high school student, and I'm on my 3 week. omg my skin has been clearing up, my friend has told me the difference, I still have loads left but I've just began to third week and I can see that the cystic acne has cleared up, I'm never gonna give up."

!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015