User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, Ocudox, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Review by james413:

I could say that I would recommend this to people with mild to severe acne. I have been on doxycycline for a about 1 month and a couple of weeks close to 2 months and my acne has improved so, so much. I'm supposed to be on this for three months and I'm already close to flawless acnefree skin but of course with a combination of Epiduo, chemical peels and a gentle cleanser. Overall Doxy has been great and with no doubt would suggest it.

September 3, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by Anonymous_1_7:

I've had acne for two years (currently in year 9) and have tried all creams, but the creams never used to work for me since it wasn't my skin that caused the pimples, apparently there was just too much hormone production, so the Dr. prescribed me with 50mg of Doxycycline about two and a half weeks ago. The first week there weren't any signs of success, the second week it just seemed to get worse, (which everyone says is the side affect of this drug) but i haven't experienced the third week of being on this drug so i just hope my pimples clear up.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 2:57 AM

Review by Emma's mama (taken for less than 1 month):

Week 1: no results Week2: acne got WORSE ( to the point where I almost gave up) Week 3: clear skin!

August 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Review by madeezy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

In 6th grade, I had horrible acne. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed some kind of face wash. I don't Remember what it was, but it stunk and it was very strong. It helped combined with Epiduo, but it peeled my skin off. My acne cleared up very well AFTER stopping it, but in my freshman year in high school, I broke out HORRIBLY.. worse than ever. I went to my family doctor and he sent me back to the dermatologist and the dermatologist said I had a very bad case of cystic acne. My doctor prescribed Doxycycline and within about 2 weeks, my skin showed tremendous improvement. By a month, my skin was so smooth. I tried everything and nothing worked. I'm a junior in high school now and I'm still on it and very happy.

August 25, 2014 6:36 PM

Review by jared324:

Well I've been on doxycycline for a month and I'm pretty sure it's 100 mg. I've seen no improvement to my face and it has actually made my face worse. I'm starting to wash my face more to see if that will help but my overall experience has so far been terrible.

August 16, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by MalcolmHall21:

I used this med for my acne and in about two days I saw a complete difference. I had really bad acne cause of my oily skin but as soon as I started taking it and kept taking it people really couldnt believe I had acne. I used everything from clean and clear to proactive and NOTHING! This stuff is great APlus

August 14, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by momofmedkid:

Monodox (doxycycline): My 15 year old daughter started on this 2.5 weeks ago. Week 1 we saw no change. Week 2 the acne was significantly worse (the medicine paper warns that this may happen). As soon as week 3 started, like magic her face started to clear. We are happy with the results and hopeful for continued improvement.

August 4, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by thank god:

I've had acne for nearly three years. I tried everything Clearsil, Proactive EVERYTHING, nothing worked. I finally went to the doctors and he put me on 50mg of doxycycline a day for 6 months. I'm 2 months in and have seen some very up and down results. Within the first week my skin had gone completely smooth, I still had acne but nothing was raised, within two weeks no new acne seemed to be appearing and by third week 70% of my scarring had disappeared. One month in my acne came back with a vengeance along the side of my face and all down my neck. Now at the two month mark, my acne is about 80% gone and could not be happier. Word of advice be patient and expect it to get worse before it gets better. I suffered really bad nausea also.

August 3, 2014 9:52 AM

Review by Alyssandra:

I really like doxycycline. I have had mild acne since I was 11, however once I turned 19 I began having more frequent outbreaks on my face and severe outbreaks on my neck and chest. At first when I began taking this medicine it literally made me feel like my skin was on fire and caused excessive feeling. I then realized that the cleanser (clean and clear) that I was using along with doxycycline was causing this to happen. This makes your skin EXTREMELY sensitive, so be careful not to use anything too harsh on your skin or anything that will dry it out too much. Other than that, I love it! I have mild stomach discomfort, but it doesn't bother me too much. I was on it for six months and my face had cleared entirely and my back almost entirely!

July 18, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by 65478 (taken for less than 1 month):

Im taking these pills once a day as prescribed by my Doctor and it feels like my skin has gotten worse. Every morning with mini pimple on my face and read bumps on my cheek.

July 16, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Bethany111:

I used doxycycline and I really loved the results. The reason why I'm writing here is that I see everyone's getting sore stomachs or discomfort, and I did get that too. I went to my beautician, and she said to take a prebiotic before you take doxycycline. I tried and it, and it really worked! My stomach pains where gone and my skin was clearing. No harm in trying, so go for it.

July 8, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by moderate acne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I would always get painful, under the skin acne around my time of the month. Two or three would be on my face and lost for weeks. When I first went on doxycycline, my skin actually got worse at first. However after the 1st month my skin has never looked better. Your skin will get worse at first, but stick with it! I'm now on my second month and really happy I tried it out.

June 23, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Mellg:

Monodox (doxycycline): This completely made every zit I had disappear..... BUT it makes me feel very sick. Depends on which outweighs the other but it did work for acne.

June 3, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by rony135:

I had mild acne for almost 2 years and kept it at bay using over the counter treatments such as face washes and proactive (which didn't work at all). As I approached the 9th grade my doctor put me on doxycycline to prevent scarring. Even after the first week I saw immediate results! It was truly amazing after 6 weeks. I sometimes have bad stomach pain and peeling skin but it's really a small price to pay for good skin. Even though I still have mild breakouts and small larger pimples I have another month to go on my prescription. HIGHLY RECOMMEND, IT KEPT ME OFF ACCUTANE.

June 1, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by SCG:

I am a 22 year old female and I have suffered from acne on my face, back and chest since I was 15. My face is constantly broken out in huge, painful, red pimples and little bumps. I finally went to a dermatologist and she put me on 100 mg of doxycycline twice a day. I've been taking it for 18 days and my face is already clearing up quite a bit. And I usually can feel new pimples forming under the skin, I haven't felt one since. The directions say to take before eating or 2 hours after eating, but that makes me nauseous. I usually eat and then wait 30 minutes or so. Even with some of the medicine absorbing into the food, I'm still getting results. I highly reccommend this!

May 28, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Esmith___:

Monodox (doxycycline): I have had bad acne since the 4th grade. During my senior year in high school, I was put on Accutane which worked for the duration of time that I was on it (moderately, mild breakouts but the redness went away, a huge step up from my ridiculous acne!) but returned in moderation when I went to college in the fall. I waited until the spring to visit my dermatologist and she put me on two facial creams and Monodox. I tried the facial creams alone, didn't work. Then tried Monodox and within a week, I saw a huge difference. Not only did my acne almost disappear, but my breakouts were 1-2 mild, small pimples that went away leaving no scars in 2 days. I have been on it about 3 months and I couldn't be happier. My face is clear! Highly recommend.

May 22, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by KittyDDS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have suffered from acne for 10 years (currently 25). I have cystic type acne, lots of blackheads and oily skin. I have been to multiple dermatologists throughout the years and tried countless products, both OTC and prescription. I have had amazing results with my current regimen which includes doxycycline, Aczone topical gel applied at night and Panoxyl face wash (OTC). The doxycycline made a difference right away! I still got maybe 1 cystic type zit a month for the first 3 months and now basically not at all. The Aczone and Panoxyl help combat the blackheads and tiny zits the antibiotics doesn't. The biggest downfall is the nausea. I highly recommended this for those with cystic acne and be sure to take after meals. I am happy to finally be acne free!

April 22, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by Jonny boi (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medicine for about 2 1/2 months and it has been clearing up my back well but my back only, it hasn't done anything good to my face or chest still get breakouts and it annoys me because this medicine is my last chance because my doctor said I am not allowed to go on Accutane. I don't know why it only helps my back and not my face but I'm hoping these last 2/3 weeks clear up my face also.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2014 10:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had an awful experience with this medication. It hardly cleared my acne and made me have a menstrual cycle every two weeks!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 12:23 AM

Review by SHAUMAN:

Doxy 100 (doxycycline): My doctor prescribed Doxy for and put me on 100mg twice a day for 4 months. So far its 2 months and already there is very big improvement in that am confident with my face and every one is commenting on how flawless my skin is.

April 13, 2014 2:33 AM

Review by Mimitee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Update!- As below I stated that doxycycline and Epiduo did an outstanding job. It continued to do so for 1 and a half months but they say all good things come to an end. Because I was getting used to the tetracycline antibiotic, I started getting little pimples-definitely not as bad as before so my dermatologist switched me over to Oratane for the cure. I really am so happy doxycycline kick started my clear skin. Don't forget to moisturize and sunscreen!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by TriciaRod:

I've tried every over the counter cream/face wash/spot treatment, eating healthier, cutting certain foods out of my diet, and home remedies with little to no success. After 10 years, I finally gave in to going to a dermatologist. I have been taking this antibiotic along with forms of the cream Ziana, and my face looks great! I still have a small bump here and there but the creams I use will either get rid of it or largely reduce it by the next morning. I wish I did this earlier. The sun sensitivity between the antibiotic and the creams is the only down side. I live in South Florida, so it is very hard to avoid the sun!

April 2, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by Hopeful101 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 18, I have suffered from severe acne since I was 13. I tried everything and wasted my money on over the counter treatments that did absolutely nothing but dry up my skin. About 6 months ago I finally decided that I was tired of having acne and made an appointment with a dermatologist. I am so glad I did, she prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate pills and Epiduo and explained how acne is like an infection. This medication worked like magic! Within 2 weeks of taking 2 pills every day and using Epiduo over night I saw results. I am still taking it and it has honestly been one of my best decisions yet. Trust me you will not regret it.

March 30, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by Angie88 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have previously taken Doxycycline before at the age of 14 due to acne and I found it really effective for about one year, afterwards I went on a course of Roaccutane for 6 months and my skin was crystal clear. About one year ago my skin started to break out again. Really bad breakouts and in such noticeable places. I am 18 now and I have started on a course of Doxycycline again and this is my first week of treatment, I am already noticing results. I have had a few small breakouts but nothing like before. My skin is healing quicker and the redness is slowly going away. I expect to see better results around the one month stage but so far I am happy with my results.

March 28, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Nmes:

This medication is worth to try! I am 28 years old and I still can't believe I suffer from acne. I wash my face twice a day and also tried many products that claim to cure the acne! This medication is a miracle! No acne and my face looks great!

March 22, 2014 11:59 AM