User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Monodox, Morgidox, Ocudox, ...show all 21 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been taking this for awhile and it's worked the best out of everything I've tried. I still do get the occasional breakout and pimple around my period, but has drastically reduced my acne overall.

November 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by Kevin 93:

I was issued this when I went to Afghanistan to prevent malaria. I didn't take it like many of us in my unit. Ever since moving to Georgia and joining the military I've had acne, it breaks out very badly. My medic overseas asked me if I was taking my doxy and I told him I wasnt. He let me know that it was commonly used as acne medication and that's when I started using it. 100-200mg per day after a few days completely cleared up my skin, after a week I looked like I did in highschool I've never been happier and th rest is history, I highly recommend this product

November 6, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by Dinaxo:

I've been taking Doxycycline 50 mg once a day for my acne for about 3 weeks now and I'm finally seeing results. My skin is looking so good and better than ever. I'm so happy I can cry. The first 2 weeks seemed to almost make it worse but I didn't give up and I'm glad I didn't. I recommend it!

October 30, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by InfoSecMom4 (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication is effective for acne. Within a couple days I noticed a difference. I had to stop using it because it caused severe nausea and occasional vomiting.

October 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by taller om (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 35 and never had acne in my youthful ages until now. Acne all over my face and went to see a dermatologist who prescribed doxycycline for me. I have been taking this medicine for a month now and always experiencing acne on my face. Hope it gets better. Somebody help me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Anonymous_1_8:

About a month ago I wrote a review on this (username: anonymous_1_7). And there has been some results. Not all my pimples have cleared up, but since my Dr. prescribed me to 100mg of Doxycycline rather than the 50mg, there's been improvements. For many or you experiencing mild-severe pimples, I would recommend using this as well as some face scrub and cream.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 2:06 AM

Review by delrey5254:

I'm 27 and I just started taking doxycycline 2x a day 100mg. I saw my skin clearing up or at least no new pimples since day 1! I also use tretinoin cream at night and benzaclin/clindamycin in the morning. I had an upset stomach so far only for one day but the past two days I've been dealing with a bad headache. I'm hoping it'll go away soon. Other than that, this medicine works great on me!

September 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by Katie5832 (taken for less than 1 month):

I never really had acne until my senior year in high school. I always washed my face before I went to bed, and I tried about every type of face wash you can think of. It took me a year to go to the dermatologist just because when my acne seemed to be getting bad it would clear up again. I never had cystic acne, but I still felt uncomfortable with my skin. I finally decided to go to a dermatologist, and I'm so thankful I did. I've been on this medicine for almost a month, and my skin is just so much better. The doctor put me on the 100 mg medicine for a total of 3 months, & I also use Tretinoin cream a few times a week. Cetaphil face wash, and Aveeno moisturizer are also things I use on the daily to keep my skin clean and from drying out.

September 22, 2014 6:59 PM

Review by nuuuru (taken for 1 to 6 months):

All I can say is that it changed my life. I had severe acne but this year January I started doxycycline. In March stopped because my face was now clear. Till now, no doxycycline, no acne. Am really happy.

September 17, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Unintentional Clear Skin:

I've always had moderate acne around my chin and forehead. I tend to get white heads and occasional cystic acne. Now in my twenties, I've been able to manage my skin fairly well, I know my acne triggers and to keep my face clean every night. I ended up using doxycycline for a medical purpose (I went to South America and got bit by a nasty bug) and found myself with clear skin. I've only been using doxycycline for about 2 weeks but I haven't had a single pimple since I started. It's completely amazing, and fixing my gross bug bites at the same time. I'll just have to see how long my skin can stay clear.

September 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by james413:

I could say that I would recommend this to people with mild to severe acne. I have been on doxycycline for a about 1 month and a couple of weeks close to 2 months and my acne has improved so, so much. I'm supposed to be on this for three months and I'm already close to flawless acnefree skin but of course with a combination of Epiduo, chemical peels and a gentle cleanser. Overall Doxy has been great and with no doubt would suggest it.

September 3, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by Anonymous_1_7:

I've had acne for two years (currently in year 9) and have tried all creams, but the creams never used to work for me since it wasn't my skin that caused the pimples, apparently there was just too much hormone production, so the Dr. prescribed me with 50mg of Doxycycline about two and a half weeks ago. The first week there weren't any signs of success, the second week it just seemed to get worse, (which everyone says is the side affect of this drug) but i haven't experienced the third week of being on this drug so i just hope my pimples clear up.

September 2, 2014 2:57 AM

Review by Emma's mama (taken for less than 1 month):

Week 1: no results Week2: acne got WORSE ( to the point where I almost gave up) Week 3: clear skin!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Review by madeezy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

In 6th grade, I had horrible acne. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed some kind of face wash. I don't Remember what it was, but it stunk and it was very strong. It helped combined with Epiduo, but it peeled my skin off. My acne cleared up very well AFTER stopping it, but in my freshman year in high school, I broke out HORRIBLY.. worse than ever. I went to my family doctor and he sent me back to the dermatologist and the dermatologist said I had a very bad case of cystic acne. My doctor prescribed Doxycycline and within about 2 weeks, my skin showed tremendous improvement. By a month, my skin was so smooth. I tried everything and nothing worked. I'm a junior in high school now and I'm still on it and very happy.

August 25, 2014 6:36 PM

Review by jared324:

Well I've been on doxycycline for a month and I'm pretty sure it's 100 mg. I've seen no improvement to my face and it has actually made my face worse. I'm starting to wash my face more to see if that will help but my overall experience has so far been terrible.

August 16, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by MalcolmHall21:

I used this med for my acne and in about two days I saw a complete difference. I had really bad acne cause of my oily skin but as soon as I started taking it and kept taking it people really couldnt believe I had acne. I used everything from clean and clear to proactive and NOTHING! This stuff is great APlus

August 14, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by momofmedkid:

Monodox (doxycycline): My 15 year old daughter started on this 2.5 weeks ago. Week 1 we saw no change. Week 2 the acne was significantly worse (the medicine paper warns that this may happen). As soon as week 3 started, like magic her face started to clear. We are happy with the results and hopeful for continued improvement.

August 4, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by thank god:

I've had acne for nearly three years. I tried everything Clearsil, Proactive EVERYTHING, nothing worked. I finally went to the doctors and he put me on 50mg of doxycycline a day for 6 months. I'm 2 months in and have seen some very up and down results. Within the first week my skin had gone completely smooth, I still had acne but nothing was raised, within two weeks no new acne seemed to be appearing and by third week 70% of my scarring had disappeared. One month in my acne came back with a vengeance along the side of my face and all down my neck. Now at the two month mark, my acne is about 80% gone and could not be happier. Word of advice be patient and expect it to get worse before it gets better. I suffered really bad nausea also.

August 3, 2014 9:52 AM

Review by Alyssandra:

I really like doxycycline. I have had mild acne since I was 11, however once I turned 19 I began having more frequent outbreaks on my face and severe outbreaks on my neck and chest. At first when I began taking this medicine it literally made me feel like my skin was on fire and caused excessive feeling. I then realized that the cleanser (clean and clear) that I was using along with doxycycline was causing this to happen. This makes your skin EXTREMELY sensitive, so be careful not to use anything too harsh on your skin or anything that will dry it out too much. Other than that, I love it! I have mild stomach discomfort, but it doesn't bother me too much. I was on it for six months and my face had cleared entirely and my back almost entirely!

July 18, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by 65478 (taken for less than 1 month):

Im taking these pills once a day as prescribed by my Doctor and it feels like my skin has gotten worse. Every morning with mini pimple on my face and read bumps on my cheek.

July 16, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Bethany111:

I used doxycycline and I really loved the results. The reason why I'm writing here is that I see everyone's getting sore stomachs or discomfort, and I did get that too. I went to my beautician, and she said to take a prebiotic before you take doxycycline. I tried and it, and it really worked! My stomach pains where gone and my skin was clearing. No harm in trying, so go for it.

July 8, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by moderate acne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I would always get painful, under the skin acne around my time of the month. Two or three would be on my face and lost for weeks. When I first went on doxycycline, my skin actually got worse at first. However after the 1st month my skin has never looked better. Your skin will get worse at first, but stick with it! I'm now on my second month and really happy I tried it out.

June 23, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Mellg:

Monodox (doxycycline): This completely made every zit I had disappear..... BUT it makes me feel very sick. Depends on which outweighs the other but it did work for acne.

June 3, 2014 9:46 AM

Review by rony135:

I had mild acne for almost 2 years and kept it at bay using over the counter treatments such as face washes and proactive (which didn't work at all). As I approached the 9th grade my doctor put me on doxycycline to prevent scarring. Even after the first week I saw immediate results! It was truly amazing after 6 weeks. I sometimes have bad stomach pain and peeling skin but it's really a small price to pay for good skin. Even though I still have mild breakouts and small larger pimples I have another month to go on my prescription. HIGHLY RECOMMEND, IT KEPT ME OFF ACCUTANE.

June 1, 2014 7:42 PM

Review by SCG:

I am a 22 year old female and I have suffered from acne on my face, back and chest since I was 15. My face is constantly broken out in huge, painful, red pimples and little bumps. I finally went to a dermatologist and she put me on 100 mg of doxycycline twice a day. I've been taking it for 18 days and my face is already clearing up quite a bit. And I usually can feel new pimples forming under the skin, I haven't felt one since. The directions say to take before eating or 2 hours after eating, but that makes me nauseous. I usually eat and then wait 30 minutes or so. Even with some of the medicine absorbing into the food, I'm still getting results. I highly reccommend this!

May 28, 2014 1:05 PM