User Reviews for Doryx

Learn more about Doryx.

Doryx Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doryx to treat Acne

"My dermatologist put me on Doryx a couple months back. My acne was bad, inflamed and painful all over my cheeks. I took half the pill once a day and at first it made my skin dry out. But my acne disappeared within a week and a half. Afterwards I stopped using it. Then noticed my skin breaking out again. So I'm back on it again and it has settled my skin. I quit eating dairy as well while taking it and I have yet to have a breakout. I now take it every other day as it dries out the skin all over my body. But totally worth the results !!"

Jennuhpurr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

"I have been taking this medication for about three months now. It has cleared up 80% of my acne, and I have not gotten any new acne since I've been on it. Also, I haven't lost any hair, or had any side effects/problems while on this medication."

SofiaI July 2, 2015

"I have only been on doryx for about a week, but my acne has almost completely cleared up. And I have had no new acne since starting. Definitely the best acne treatment I've tried."

Sean O June 15, 2015

"Hi Everyone I have been on Doryx for nearly 3 months. The pimples on my face and back have gotten worse and worse I am constantly breaking out to be honest my face is worse being on this medication then it was before i started it."

sydaust88 May 25, 2015

"Cleared my acne. Takes about a good 2-3 months, then scarring is left over. Don't confuse scarring with acne. The scarring will go away. Go with the Doxycyclines and Minocyclines."

vinpb90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2014

"I've been taking Doryx for about a week now and so far so good. It hasn't really made my pimples go away but I haven't had any new ones since I've been on it."

Qwerty10009 January 4, 2014

"The pill worked within a month. I stopped taking it and my acne came back so I'm back on the pill and now it's taking quite a bit of time to go away."

Kiee December 29, 2013

"I suffered from cystic acne for years. Doryx totally and completely has changed my life. I rarely even get a pimple around the time of my period anymore. When I first started Doryx, (5 months ago) I was taking 150 mg daily. Now, I take 75mg every other day. I can't praise this drug enough! Life changing, I wish I had started taking it years ago."

MartaSpicoli November 11, 2013

"I am 37. After my last child was born, I started getting these really deep, painful pimples all around my mouth and nose. According to the dermatologist I have a type of acne that's actually some kind of hybrid between rosacea and acne. The pustules hurt so much and they looked so gross. I was wearing a ton of makeup to hide them but even with all the cover up, you could still see my skin looked terrible with huge bumps and crusted over scabs from the ones I popped. I tried all sorts of OTC stuff before I finally went to the dermatologist. He put me on Doryx and within a week, the pustules were all gone and I have not had any new ones in the two months since I started this medication. I can't believe how quickly, and how well, it worked."

October1976 October 4, 2013

"I had tried every combination of topical skincare routines for years and had had no luck with clearing up my acne. Doryx cleared up my acne almost overnight and I have been taking it for several weeks and have been almost completely clear--I can't even remember the last time I was!. Very satisfied!"

Teresa S (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2013

"I'm 38 and have acne since 13. I have tried everything and finally a few years ago, just decided to live with it. I had a spot on my forehead that never seems to clear up, so the dermatologist put me on this and my acne has cleared up, similar to the results I had years ago from being on birth control pills. Although my acne is cleared up, the spot I was concerned about hasn't changed, and next dermatologist appointment I'll have to have it biopsied. The only side effect is that I have more hair loss than what I consider normal in a day. My Dermatologist had a $25 coupon for the prescription. Otherwise even with insurance it is very expensive. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013

"I've been struggling with mild acne on my face and severe acne on my shoulders (mostly sports related) for the past 2 years or so, and absolutely NOTHING worked. However, I've been taking Doryx for a week now and my face is almost completely clear, and my shoulders are clearing up FAST. however, I did experience a lot of drying out on my face, as well as (oddly enough) a decreased sex drive. I HIGHLY recommend refraining from alcohol while on this medicine, as it will only worsen the drying of your face. Stick with it. Remember, your face will get worse before it gets better."

Nickname already in use July 6, 2013

"I am 17 years old, I don't have acne I just have the teenage pimples. But theses pimples control my life and make me depressed. I have taken one tablet and my face is clear, one pimple on my face. So happy."

Wooiooohh June 12, 2013

"I have had Acne from 13 yrs old on and was on Accutane for most all of high school. I have tried everything - all cleansers, peels, topicals and nothing worked. Proactive seemed to moderately work (but dried my skin out and bleached every towel & pillow case in sight). I'm now 36 and in March 2012 I was totally fed up with my constant struggle with adult acne so I went to a dermatologist in San Francisco. She put me on Doryx, Epiduo & CereVe hydrating (non-foaming) cleanser- Hallelujah! It took ~2 months & my face was breakout free. I haven't had a zit since). It works- call your dermatologist as soon as possible. P.S I'm also on Ocella birth control (which is key to regulating hormone levels)."

Iannella123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2012

"I have awful acne everywhere on my face, between my eyebrows, forehead, chin, back and chest. I have been taking Doryx for a month, along with Ziana and a face wash. The acne I actually care about (in between my eyebrows, and my chin) has gotten much worse. The acne on my forehead has gotten a lot better, but is starting to get worse again, and the acne on my chest has gotten better. The Pill has no side effects on me, except it is huge and I usually can't swallow it until about my 3rd try. I'm praying that it will be effective."

thebawss (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2012

"I have had problems with acne all my life. I tried everything from creams, gels, pills and even Accutane. Accutane was extremely harsh and my acne was back within 3 months. I finally was prescribed Doryx along with Acanya in the morning and Epiduo at night. Please be patient as this will make you break out really bad at first but I promise you after 2 months you will see the results. What's great too is you can adjust the dosage once your face clears up so you don't have to take 150mg all the time. My face is all cleared up now and I only take it the week of my period to prevent breakouts."

lp0820 March 10, 2012

"Acne cleared up but I'm tired of the side effects. Shortness of breath is the main one, I go up a flight of stairs and I have to give myself a minute before I can speak. I'm 33 years old 6'2" 200lbs and I exercise so this is totally new to me. I also feel more tired now than ever before. Other side effects I've read about were hair loss, teeth discoloration, yeast infection in women."

donotusethispill January 28, 2012

"23, have adult and adolescence acne. Was prescribed Doryx, Acanya gel and Atralin gel. They work wonders together. My skin is completely clear. Highly recommended."

Anonymous December 17, 2011

"I went on Doryx almost 3 months ago because I had severe cystic acne. It was awful, I was mortified to the point where I would even call out of work. Not only was it embarrassing, but at times it was also painful. My dermatologist put me on Doryx and I noticed NO change until about the 6 week mark. By the 8 week mark my cysts were gone! It took time, but I am SO glad I stuck with it. I have had people tell me how much better my skin looks. It is not 100% clear as it had been a year ago, but I am very pleased with it so far. The doctor told me it takes up to 6 months to get the full effect. So be patient. In addition to the pill I also wash my face once a day with Neutrogena Red Reducer (Green), Proactive and I use Clinique Acne foundation."

Anonymous December 12, 2011

"I am 26 and nothing has worked for my Acne....NOTHING! I have tried pills, creams, Proactiv, herbals, almost everything. But finally I got something that WORKS! This pill cleared all my acne and I even forgot to take it more than a few times... still nothing. I don't wash my face a thousand times a day... Don't apply any acne cream.. and there is never a pimple on my skin. There have been no side effects for me. So you should definitely give this a try. Its the ONLY thing that has WORKED for me."

The Aryan December 8, 2011

"I started taking Doryx about 4 months ago for cystic acne. SO GLAD I DID. It took almost 2 months to see results but it was definitely worth the wait. It doesn't bother me to leave the house now without makeup. Occasionally I'll still get cysts but they only last a couple of days or so and it's usually around the time of my period. I do notice though that it makes me thirsty and it dries my skin/chaps my lips. But it's totally worth it. Just be patient! I almost gave up after the first month. I'm so glad I didn't."

Anonymous November 21, 2011

"I'm 23 and my acne has always been bad since I was a teenager. I have blemishes all over and I'm always breaking out. I tried just about everything, soaps, creams, facial washes, etc. Recently I asked my physician what can he give me for my acne, he prescribed me 'Tretinoin Cream, USP, 0.025%'. At first this cream broke me out bad so I stopped using it. So I finally went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me 'Differin', 'Doryx', and a facial wash. I take the Doryx in the morning on an empty stomach, then I use the Differin after I wash my face with Irish Spring Aloe and at night I mix the Differin with the Tretinoin. I've been doing for a week now and it is clearing up my skin pretty good. I can't wait to see the results after a month."

Anonymous October 28, 2011

"I am a teen who suffered from borderline mild-severe acne. My dermatologist prescribed Epiduo. Nothing over the 6 weeks. She then put me on Doryx with it. I fell in love with my skin after about a week. It dried up current problem spots and never got a breakout. However, do NOT take in calcium while on this. The medicine will bind to the calcium and will not take effect. Whenever I eat a good amount of cheese, milk, or dairy, I break out. You should experiment with your diet if this medicine does not work for you."

Anonymous September 5, 2011

"Worked wonders on my skin. Everything was clear within 72 hours."

Anonymous August 8, 2011

"I have tried many acne medications, but this is the only one that consistently worked for me. I took it for a few weeks, and I don't even have to use it anymore. My face is acne free. I didn't feel any side effects."

Anonymous July 7, 2011