User Reviews for Silenor

Learn more about Silenor.

Insomnia 67 reviews 100 medications

7.4
Summary of Silenor reviews 67 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Silenor

Review by ann702 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow.

October 8, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49.

September 8, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Bccmor:

For Insomnia: I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not.

September 8, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by Hot mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I find it works really well keeping me asleep all night, I do have some wild vivid dreams but not that often, only down side for me is I am gaining weight

June 7, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by AnnieSmith11:

For Insomnia: I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 10:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Silenor was a nightmare for me. I stuck with it for about 3 weeks and thought I was going out of my mind. I did not sleep at all for the first 4 days and then the hallucinations began. If I did sleep it was in for about 30 minutes at a time and then the terrible nightmares kept me awake for the rest of the night.

April 19, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else.

April 7, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing.

December 15, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Dukemannn:

For Insomnia: Makes you sleep fast, and well.

June 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by Good to know (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: This medicine worked beautifully for me; I have no complaints. But when my insurance changed and I couldn't take it any longer, I had to try and go without it. I didn't realize that it had been the source of my weight gain and why I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I tried. After stopping taking it I dropped 10 lbs almost immediately WHILE I WAS ON SPRING BREAK and eating way more than usual and not working out 4 times a week as usual. I'm glad I took it and that it helped me, but I just wanted to share this experience so that others won't mistakenly think that age was causing them to gain weight and not lose it no matter what they tried.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2013 5:12 PM

Review by Ktired:

For Insomnia: I had horrible nightmares and intermittent sleep. Very frustrated. Woke up tired.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by johns285 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: This medicine was just like taking Benadryl, only more expensive. An hour to two hours after taking Silenor, I still couldn't fall asleep...not even the slightest bit tired. Once I had fallen asleep, I would wake up 2-4 hours later and be wide awake for the rest of the night.

March 24, 2013 6:33 AM

Review by SleepyNess:

For Insomnia: I too have tried Ambien and since I heard many of my friends become slightly addicted to it, my doctor switched me to Silenor. It definitely works! And it doesn't give me that weird feeling like Ambien did at times. Couple of my other friends also say it worked for them. Copay was just as much as Ambien on my insurance.

March 2, 2013 8:46 AM

Review by Mikeodean (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Medicine kept me from sleep. It had the opposite effect.

February 17, 2013 11:02 PM

For Insomnia: This medication has been working well for me so far and I've tried them all. Glad it comes in 2 doses. I figure I can get good results with 3mg why bump up to 6mg. Side effects are nothing compared to others I have tried. I hope I don't get used to it but my doctor said it's not addicting.

May 21, 2012 7:53 PM

For Insomnia: I had been on several medicines like Ambien and Lunesta. All of a sudden I needed a pill to sleep! Not only that but I was a walking zombie the next day. Mood swings were bad. My family became concerened. I switched to Silenor, not as potent but it did the trick.

February 28, 2012 11:12 AM

For Insomnia: The medication works well, but the cost is to much. I can not afford this medication at all.

January 18, 2012 10:37 PM

I have trouble falling asleep, and staying asleep. I have tried lunesta in the past and it didn't work. It put a terrible taste in my mouth for days. I have been on silenor for 3 nights now, and it isn't working for me. I took 6 mg at 9 pm, and was still awake at 3 am this morning, hadn't slept at all. It has been this way for all 3 nights. I have again developed a terrible taste in my mouth, so bad that I am going off this pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2012 11:51 AM

Review by NCAnonymous:

For Insomnia: I have been using Ambien for several years and I seem to have built a tolerance so that I am no longer falling asleep nor staying asleep. (Note: I have used both Ambien and Ambien CR). I was on a "local" trip and had forgotten my Ambien, so I asked my Dr if she had samples of anything that would help me sleep. She gave me Silenor samples. While I was extremely happy with the sleep, I did wake up "hungover" and had a hard time getting moving. I also experienced very real hallucinations. Don't know if they will lessen with use, but I am going to ask for a months supply to see if it works out after an adjustment period.

December 15, 2011 1:39 AM

Review by debhayley:

For Insomnia: This medicine did not work as well for me as Lunesta or Ambien, but I like that it is not addicting. It is definitely better than nothing. I did feel mildly hungover the next day.

November 18, 2011 1:18 AM

For Insomnia: No matter what medication I take I only sleep between 4 - 6 hours before waking. After trying Silenor, I tossed and turned all night, waking up every few hours and felt a bit nauseous in the morning. I was so hopeful by all the good reviews on here, I figured I'd give it a shot.

November 17, 2011 9:32 PM

For Insomnia: I was given samples of Silenor, and I've been taking it for about two weeks. My problem is not only that I can't sleep for more than 2 hours straight, but it also takes around 3 hours to fall asleep. Anyway, I noticed that I was getting a lot of terrible nightmares right away with the Silenor. As someone who hardly ever even remembers her dreams, the nightmares were quite obviously related to the medicine. Also, the Silenor didn't help me fall asleep/stay asleep at all. My doctor switched me to Ambien, and I'm trying that for the first time tonight. Most of you had a bad experience with Ambien and are loving the Silenor, so I'm not sure how this will work out.

November 15, 2011 9:33 PM

Review by Manny5067:

For Insomnia: The only medication that really works! I have tried Ambien and Lunesta and Silenor is superior to both of them.

October 30, 2011 9:28 PM

Review by Sleepless in San Diego:

For Insomnia: OUTSTANDING. It sustains sleep!! But the COST of this medicine is, well, stunning. But I still think this is a near-miraculous medicine. I am menopausal and had a "pattern" of waking at 3:30AM. Horrible. By taking Silenor -- and ONLY Silenor -- I am guaranteed sustained and uninterrupted sleep. THE DOWNSIDE. The cost. I cannot afford Silenor at this time... And it makes me very, very sad.

September 21, 2011 2:18 AM

For Insomnia: I don't know how all these people are saying this is amazing. 6 mg...wide awake. Brain never shut up all night, crazy dreams when I did sleep which was maybe a couple of hours.

September 14, 2011 3:33 PM