User Reviews for Silenor

Learn more about Silenor.

Insomnia 74 reviews 110 medications

7.2
Summary of Silenor reviews 74 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Silenor

For Insomnia "I tried the 3 mg dose last night. I slept worse than when I take nothing. I felt so agitated and miserable. Tossed and turned all night. Will not take it again!"

Needshuteye (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Insomnia "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016

For Insomnia "Worked very well for the first 2 nights then made me toss and turn all night the next 5 nights...way worse a night than if I hadn't taken anything. Not worth Continuing."

Awaken chicago February 23, 2016

For Insomnia "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

For Insomnia "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Insomnia "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow."

ann702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

For Insomnia "For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49."

zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2014

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not."

Bccmor September 8, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I find it works really well keeping me asleep all night, I do have some wild vivid dreams but not that often, only down side for me is I am gaining weight"

Hot mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back."

AnnieSmith11 May 13, 2014

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Silenor was a nightmare for me. I stuck with it for about 3 weeks and thought I was going out of my mind. I did not sleep at all for the first 4 days and then the hallucinations began. If I did sleep it was in for about 30 minutes at a time and then the terrible nightmares kept me awake for the rest of the night. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else. "

luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2014

For Insomnia "I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing."

ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Makes you sleep fast, and well."

Dukemannn June 23, 2013

For Insomnia "This medicine worked beautifully for me; I have no complaints. But when my insurance changed and I couldn't take it any longer, I had to try and go without it. I didn't realize that it had been the source of my weight gain and why I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I tried. After stopping taking it I dropped 10 lbs almost immediately WHILE I WAS ON SPRING BREAK and eating way more than usual and not working out 4 times a week as usual. I'm glad I took it and that it helped me, but I just wanted to share this experience so that others won't mistakenly think that age was causing them to gain weight and not lose it no matter what they tried."

Good to know (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2013

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "I had horrible nightmares and intermittent sleep. Very frustrated. Woke up tired."

Ktired April 15, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "This medicine was just like taking Benadryl, only more expensive. An hour to two hours after taking Silenor, I still couldn't fall asleep...not even the slightest bit tired. Once I had fallen asleep, I would wake up 2-4 hours later and be wide awake for the rest of the night. "

johns285 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2013

For Insomnia "I too have tried Ambien and since I heard many of my friends become slightly addicted to it, my doctor switched me to Silenor. It definitely works! And it doesn't give me that weird feeling like Ambien did at times. Couple of my other friends also say it worked for them. Copay was just as much as Ambien on my insurance. "

SleepyNess March 2, 2013

For Insomnia "Medicine kept me from sleep. It had the opposite effect."

Mikeodean (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2013

For Insomnia "This medication has been working well for me so far and I've tried them all. Glad it comes in 2 doses. I figure I can get good results with 3mg why bump up to 6mg. Side effects are nothing compared to others I have tried. I hope I don't get used to it but my doctor said it's not addicting."

Anonymous May 21, 2012

For Insomnia "I had been on several medicines like Ambien and Lunesta. All of a sudden I needed a pill to sleep! Not only that but I was a walking zombie the next day. Mood swings were bad. My family became concerened. I switched to Silenor, not as potent but it did the trick."

Anonymous February 28, 2012

For Insomnia "The medication works well, but the cost is to much. I can not afford this medication at all."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

"I have trouble falling asleep, and staying asleep. I have tried lunesta in the past and it didn't work. It put a terrible taste in my mouth for days. I have been on silenor for 3 nights now, and it isn't working for me. I took 6 mg at 9 pm, and was still awake at 3 am this morning, hadn't slept at all. It has been this way for all 3 nights. I have again developed a terrible taste in my mouth, so bad that I am going off this pill."

Anonymous January 7, 2012