User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

"I was having trouble falling asleep. I would lay there for hours. Still even with this drug I can't "fall" asleep and still I lay there for hours. This drug makes my eyes red watery and blurry. The next day after taking this med I am sooo sleepy. I just don't think this is the drug I need."

Sleepy grumpy dopey scary (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

"This drug barely did anything for me at 12 mgs and I find it pretty useless. Plus it made me shaky and nauseous the next day. Ugh. I hate insomnia but I will stick to benzos if I can right now. The only way I can sleep!"

Sleepless in Canada June 24, 2015

"This made me sooooooo tired and drugged feeling I could barely wake up! It was terrible! I hate insomnia but this was ridiculous! This stuff is not a solution! Unless all you do is sleep. So frustrated! Thought this was the one!"

Benzo addict May 18, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

"Prescribed doxepin in detox/rehab after traxadone did not work well. 25mg of doxepin works really well for me. 120 lb female age 26. Helps with anxiety and keeps me asleep even if I wake up to pee or something. I have gained some weight but I can't attribute it to the doxepin since I am only two months clean off opiates. But for addicts, definitely give it a try cause it worked wonders for me. Non habit forming too."

Olsensan February 9, 2015

"Helped me a lot with my insomnia. But gained over 50 pounds in the last 4 months. I have also noticed my hair getting thinner. I will not take this anymore. Going back to the dr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

"I am an addict and have had chronic insomnia for 20 years, so as you would imagine I've tried everything and abused everything. Doxepin is a miracle med for me. I take 10 to 30mg depending on how sleepy I am. I have no side effects, no weight gain, no sleepiness the next day. Want extra help? Read up on Magnesium. Just added that with amazing results. Depression and anxiety...well haven't found the miracle for those yet."

EverydayAddict (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow."

ann702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49."

zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin): "I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not."

Bccmor September 8, 2014

"This medication is the first I've tried for insomnia and it's better than nothing, but there has to be something better. I have problems staying asleep and 80% of the time it helps that, and if I wake up for the bathroom or a snack (okay two snacks), I can fall back asleep quickly. But the weight gain! I had no idea it would cause me to gain so much in a short period. 25 or so pounds in 3 months. I will be looking into Prosom instead and hopefully be able to drop this weight."

Veronica M August 22, 2014

"I started this medication about 10 days ago. Doxepin, 10mg, has been working more days than not. Like most medicines, the first few days it worked like a charm. I took it and I slept about 5.5 hours straight. Sometimes can go back to sleep for another 1/2 an hour. I do feel a little help in the anxiety category. Not a lot but it does help a bit. The bad thing about this medicine is that you feel very sedated throughout the day. You know you slept because of the vivid dreams and you don't wake up the whole night. Nevertheless, you feel extremely tired the whole day. I wish I didn't have to take medicines. But I rather be feeling sleepy and knowing that I slept as opposed to feeling sleepy due to no sleep."

aquabohdi August 10, 2014

"I've suffered with insomnia fire several years now. At times sleeping only 1 hour before having to get up to go to work. My Dr. prescribed Silenor but my insurance gave me Doxepin (25mg). Biggest mistake I made was taking right before bed because it doesn't help you fall asleep, only helps you stay asleep. Once I fell asleep, I didn't wake up at all until the following morning. If you have children or anyone else to depend on you for care, I wouldn't recommend it. I was actually awakened by my boys and I felt very drowsy, groggy, and irritable. So much so that I caught myself yelling at my kids. I wasn't able to function 100%. This would ONLY be good if you have nothing to do or no-one to care for the next day. "

Anonymous221098 June 14, 2014

"I love it."

Anonymous June 12, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "I find it works really well keeping me asleep all night, I do have some wild vivid dreams but not that often, only down side for me is I am gaining weight"

Hot mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back."

AnnieSmith11 May 13, 2014

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Doxepin is great at keeping me asleep. The only major problem is the rapid weight gain. I went from 155lbs to 185lbs in only 2 weeks. "

No Doze (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2014

"Developed acute insomnia immediately following a bad concussion. I would doze off but would wake up within 30 minutes, unable to fall back asleep for hours at a stretch. Tried several sleeping medications (off-label use trazodone, Ambien, melatonin, OTC sleep aids. with no success for several weeks and was getting desperate. A mere 3mg of Doxepin saved my life. I slept for six straight hours the first night and it only got better and better. I take 3mg around 9pm, sleep from 11pm to 6am very reliably and have few side effects besides a small amount of weight gain (about five pounds in my first two weeks) and slight drowsiness in the mornings and mid-afternoons. I'm so grateful to have my sleep back."

Post concussion April 24, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "Silenor was a nightmare for me. I stuck with it for about 3 weeks and thought I was going out of my mind. I did not sleep at all for the first 4 days and then the hallucinations began. If I did sleep it was in for about 30 minutes at a time and then the terrible nightmares kept me awake for the rest of the night. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else. "

luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2014

"First night on 10mg didn't fall asleep until 5:15 am after 4 am popcorn binge. Woke up about 7:30 am. Same on next 3 nights with middle-of-the night coffee-cake, chocolates and even a couple of frozen dinners. Dr. upped to 20mg. Same result. Hardly any sleep, night snacking, and started eating more during the day. People have commented about rapid weight gain. They're right. I gained 8 lbs. the first week! My weight has been pretty consistent by 2-3 lbs. for years. Going back to Ambien!"

KathS (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2014

"I was given doxepin 50mg after a very bad experience using Xanax for insomnia. It works fine for my depression, I have a good energy level during the day, but it doesn't do a thing for my insomnia. I feel that if I can solve my insomnia it would go a long way to helping my depression."

Arthur Dent February 9, 2014

"I have taken doxepin every day for 29 years. I started taking 75 to 150 mg for depression, but once the depression lifted, I continued taking 10-25 mg a day for insomnia. It has been a lifesaver for me as, since my teens, I have not been able to sleep without a sleep aid, over-the-counter, prescription. Doxepin allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep for 6-8 hours. When I started taking it I gained 10 lbs. in a week and have never lost it. I have dry mouth, but that is an inconvenience that I am willing to put with. I tried to wean myself off once, about 10 years ago, but felt very bad flu-like symptoms so I started taking them again. In the past 5 years so 10mg doesn't always do the job and so I often take 20 mg."

Krystalp December 19, 2013

Silenor (doxepin): "I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing."

ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next