User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Review by luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2014 8:08 PM
Review by KathS (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin: First night on 10mg didn't fall asleep until 5:15 am after 4 am popcorn binge. Woke up about 7:30 am. Same on next 3 nights with middle-of-the night coffee-cake, chocolates and even a couple of frozen dinners. Dr. upped to 20mg. Same result. Hardly any sleep, night snacking, and started eating more during the day. People have commented about rapid weight gain. They're right. I gained 8 lbs. the first week! My weight has been pretty consistent by 2-3 lbs. for years. Going back to Ambien!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 2:19 PM
Review by Arthur Dent: User Rating:

doxepin: I was given doxepin 50mg after a very bad experience using Xanax for insomnia. It works fine for my depression, I have a good energy level during the day, but it doesn't do a thing for my insomnia. I feel that if I can solve my insomnia it would go a long way to helping my depression.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 9, 2014 8:05 PM
Review by Krystalp: User Rating:

doxepin: I have taken doxepin every day for 29 years. I started taking 75 to 150 mg for depression, but once the depression lifted, I continued taking 10-25 mg a day for insomnia. It has been a lifesaver for me as, since my teens, I have not been able to sleep without a sleep aid, over-the-counter, prescription. Doxepin allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep for 6-8 hours. When I started taking it I gained 10 lbs. in a week and have never lost it. I have dry mouth, but that is an inconvenience that I am willing to put with. I tried to wean myself off once, about 10 years ago, but felt very bad flu-like symptoms so I started taking them again. In the past 5 years so 10mg doesn't always do the job and so I often take 20 mg.

December 19, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing.

December 15, 2013 10:45 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin: I've been battling insomnia for almost 4 years. I had tried Ambien but always wound up digging in the fridge at 3am. It made me sleep walk really bad. Now with Doxepin, I'm able to sleep through the night and no digging in the fridge at 3am.

December 12, 2013 9:12 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

doxepin: This medicine has helped me tremendously! This has been the only medicine that has helped me. The only part I don't like about it is that when I wake up I have a really bad dry mouth. Other than that it is great!

September 17, 2013 12:58 AM
Review by georgie54 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin: Did not take too long to go to sleep. Had some dreams but not nightmares. Woke with dry mouth and a little groggy. Within an hour of being up, I feel very alert, almost energetic, not sure how to explain it, just overall feel better than I have in weeks. Last night was my first dose of 25 mg. So we will see how it goes, hope I don't gain weight, as I have read about. I have had sleep issues for years and tried everything, hope this continues to work.

September 5, 2013 9:01 AM
Review by Jabber Wakky: User Rating:

doxepin: I've been using doxepin for about 2 years for insomnia. I used to wake every night after 2-3 hours of sleep and then was unable to get back to sleep for 1-2 hours. This has helped tremendously. I now sleep through the night, dream and feel better through the day. If I do wake, I am able to roll over and get back to sleep quickly. I take it just prior to bed, and get about 7 solid hours of sleep. I experience some dry mouth in the morning, but nothing severe, and it can be a bit difficult to get going in the morning. Overall, I'm much better than before.

August 30, 2013 3:33 PM
Review by Dukemannn: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): Makes you sleep fast, and well.

June 23, 2013 4:04 PM
Review by 456poohgirl: User Rating:

doxepin: I have been taking 25 mg of Doxepin for 17 years, I always could fall asleep, but if I woke up during the night, I couldn't go back to sleep for hours. Doxepin was like a miracle to me, I was never groggy the next morning and it didn't make me sleepy and groggy right after taking it. It just lets me go right back to sleep if I get up to use the bathroom. It still works after all these years, not as well though. I have weaned myself off of it, but I start having hot flashes off and on all day...so I start taking it again. And after being off of it for a few days the sleep problems seem to be back...so I may be on this for the rest of my life. I have recommended this to several friends and it has also helped them.

June 19, 2013 12:32 AM
Review by jmmh: User Rating:

doxepin: This medication knocked me out every night and so it was great to catch up on years of sleep debt. Overall, a very positive experience. However, like other users, I slowly gained 10-20 pounds over the course of taking doxepin. I stopped taking it in the last couple of months, and suddenly, my appetite significantly decreased and weight just started dropping off. I had no idea that the medication caused this increased appetite/weight gain. Honestly I thought I was just growing older and my metabolism was changing. I'm glad I took this medication for insomnia, and also that the side effect of weight gain faded away as soon as I stopped taking it. Overall, the value of the sleep I gained far outweighed the con of the weight I gained.

May 23, 2013 7:23 AM
Review by Good to know (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Silenor (doxepin): This medicine worked beautifully for me; I have no complaints. But when my insurance changed and I couldn't take it any longer, I had to try and go without it. I didn't realize that it had been the source of my weight gain and why I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I tried. After stopping taking it I dropped 10 lbs almost immediately WHILE I WAS ON SPRING BREAK and eating way more than usual and not working out 4 times a week as usual. I'm glad I took it and that it helped me, but I just wanted to share this experience so that others won't mistakenly think that age was causing them to gain weight and not lose it no matter what they tried.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2013 5:12 PM
Review by Ktired: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): I had horrible nightmares and intermittent sleep. Very frustrated. Woke up tired.

April 15, 2013 12:00 PM
Review by johns285 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): This medicine was just like taking Benadryl, only more expensive. An hour to two hours after taking Silenor, I still couldn't fall asleep...not even the slightest bit tired. Once I had fallen asleep, I would wake up 2-4 hours later and be wide awake for the rest of the night.

March 24, 2013 6:33 AM
Review by SleepyNess: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): I too have tried Ambien and since I heard many of my friends become slightly addicted to it, my doctor switched me to Silenor. It definitely works! And it doesn't give me that weird feeling like Ambien did at times. Couple of my other friends also say it worked for them. Copay was just as much as Ambien on my insurance.

March 2, 2013 8:46 AM
Review by Mikeodean (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): Medicine kept me from sleep. It had the opposite effect.

February 17, 2013 11:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

doxepin: Doxepin was prescribed to me by my neurologist as an adjunct therapy with Topamax for migraine prevention. I have only been on this for four months; two severe migraines! One trigger is lack of sleep. I have terrible insomnia. And if I do sleep, I sleep walk. Doxepin keeps me calm, migraine free, asleep and most of all I could have done with the weight gain.

August 17, 2012 2:09 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): This medication has been working well for me so far and I've tried them all. Glad it comes in 2 doses. I figure I can get good results with 3mg why bump up to 6mg. Side effects are nothing compared to others I have tried. I hope I don't get used to it but my doctor said it's not addicting.

May 21, 2012 7:53 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): I had been on several medicines like Ambien and Lunesta. All of a sudden I needed a pill to sleep! Not only that but I was a walking zombie the next day. Mood swings were bad. My family became concerened. I switched to Silenor, not as potent but it did the trick.

February 28, 2012 11:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

doxepin: If you have trouble staying asleep, give Doxepin a try. It has worked wonders for me. I've experienced no side effects and it is non-addictive. The is often dispensed under the name Silenor in 3 and 6 mg doses.

February 24, 2012 8:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin): The medication works well, but the cost is to much. I can not afford this medication at all.

January 18, 2012 10:37 PM
Review by susieqq: User Rating:

doxepin: Was prescribed this medication (Doxepin 50mg) for sleep. It didn't even make me tired. Haven't been able to sleep since then. This just didn't work for me!

January 4, 2012 2:13 PM
Review by can't sleep: User Rating:

doxepin: I took this as prescribed (3 hours after eating, already in bed). It took me 90 minutes to go to sleep. I woke up 2 hours later and stayed up until 7 am in the morning (5 hours). I've got to have some strange biochemistry going on - Ambien gave me an anxiety attack and kept me up too. Both medicines seemed to depress my breathing rhythm.

December 30, 2011 11:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

doxepin: I give it a 5/10 because it worked for about 1-1/2 weeks and then I built up a tolerance (like I always do with all sleep medicines.. sighh..). I was on 10 mg. I bumped it up to 20 mg for about a week after the 10 mg lost its kick but still nothing. I had very vivid dreams those 2 weeks.. it almost felt like I wasn't sleeping deep enough the dreams were so vivid. But I had more energy during the day so it must have worked. It was nice to have my schedule back to "normal" for about a month (staying awake during the day). Now I've flip-flopped back to sleeping during the day again. I'm a chronic insomniac. My sleep specialist even jokes that I need a sledgehammer just to knock me out. I've tried just about every pill both over the counter and prescription.

December 19, 2011 6:42 AM