User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016

"Too strong for me; slept for 10+ hours and felt groggy for most of the next day when I took it. Is worth a try if you suffer from severe insomnia- because in that regard, it did work."

Kbird91 April 20, 2016

"Have been taking doxepin 10mg for sleep for at least 10 years. When I found this, I felt like I might actually manage life. Have problems staying asleep since onset of menopause and doxepin really helps. Since I am overweight my doctor will only prescribe for me to take every other night as he believes it causes weight gain. We disagree on this subject."

mskrazy April 17, 2016

"Oh dear. I thought I would give Doxepin a try just to compare it to my usual low dose of Amitriptyline and see if I slept any better. I lasted on this (25mg) just one night, and with less than an hour of sleep. It felt more like a stimulant for me and at one stage I thought I might be experiencing a nasty frightening panic attack. I don't know what is was but it didn't agree with me. I find low dose Elavil very sedating next to Doxepin (and more sedating than Mirtazapine). I have never tried Trazodone. Best of luck. :)"

In Shock In Australia (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

"Wonderful good sleep...."

f2ffhjh cb no outcast Program (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"Doxepin for sleep?. My new psychiatrist has prescribed this drug . New because my previous doctor passed away. That man was a God send for years and years to me. I don't sleep but 4 or 5 hours a night. Broken up 2 hours at a time. But doxepin? Seriously? Is this some kind of cruel joke? Can anyone hear me? I CAN NOT SLEEP!!! HERE I AM RIGHT NOW 2:12AM. Perhaps next he will add melatonin, a warm glass of milk and journaling before bed....lol. Maybe Yoga, chanting and acupuncture. I give up. It has been 47 days now on this drug. My last night of this ridiculousness."

Sleepless in St Louis March 18, 2016

"I take about 10 milligrams of Doxaprin about four nights a week. I've been doing this for about 8 months now .I don't have trouble falling asleep I have trouble staying asleep and Doxaprin keeps me asleep. I now sleep like a baby on this 4 nights. I don't really build a tolerance up to it like I did with xanax. I find virtually no side effects other than I don't want to get out of bed in the morning but a cup of coffee solves that. Unless there is some long term side effects I don't know about I can't say anything negative about this substance good luck."

Boddie66 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Worked very well for the first 2 nights then made me toss and turn all night the next 5 nights...way worse a night than if I hadn't taken anything. Not worth Continuing."

Awaken chicago February 23, 2016

"My doctor prescribed Doxepin 45 mg "at bedtime" to help me move my sleep cycle back to a normal time - it had gradually slipped later and later until I wasn't getting sleepy until 4-6 am. My experience is that Doxepin is useless for this purpose (confirmed by my pharmacist) - it does not help me fall asleep at all, but it will keep me asleep for much longer which unfortunately is just reinforcing my shifted sleep cycle. In addition I've had lots of side-effects, ranging from a mild headache to migraine halos, irritability, anxiety, and worst of all, a 20 point rise in the first blood glucose reading after waking. If your problem is staying asleep this will probably help, but if your problem is falling asleep it's pretty useless,"

Sleepless in Arizona (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"I was prescribed doxepin for my depression and around the time that my doxepin was introduced, I started sleeping worse than I had been ( I had used to be able to fall asleep easily with the trazodone I took, but upon taking the doxepin, I was finding myself unable to even fall asleep) and when the doctor increased the dose because it had stopped working for my depression, I ended up with full blown insomnia where I couldn't fall asleep most days and if I did manage to fall asleep halfway through the night, I couldn't stay asleep. About a week after I stopped the doxepin, my insomnia started going away"

Crickina February 9, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

"I got this for depression, I took 150 mg a day. Now I need 50 mg to fall asleep, sometimes even 100mg. I don't know how this works for people who take only 10-20 mg. Yes, I get a dry mouth, but that's ok. I noticed that I have very realistic dreams and sometimes a hangover for the next day (after 100mg)."

Jayden California January 10, 2016

"Had a brain injury, sleep 2 to 3 hours a night. Take Doxepin 10 mg I have found to take the capsule a part dump out about 5 mg of medicine. I can sleep 6 to 7 hours and wake up feeling great. No hangover. Even if I wake up during the night I can go back to sleep. This drug is wonderful if used correctly"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"These were awful for me!! At first I felt like a zombie. I've lost all all intrested and motivation to do anything! I'm extremely irritable and have pretty well yelled at everone I've talked to. I feel I don't have any control. The only thing I want to do is sleep for 48 hours straight. I'll take a week with no sleep over this thanks!"

Jaxc03 November 14, 2015

"Doxepin at 150 mg. saved my life! I've had chronic insomnia for as long as I can remember with sometimes several nights resulting in no sleep at all. I was diagnosed with a number of major medical problems from early adulthood, the worst of which being Type 1 Diabetes at age 24, so managing my overall healthcare now at age 55 is complicated by the severe sleep deprivation. I inherited all of the medical problems from both sides of the family tree and from my father, inherited a unique tolerance to any sedating medications, so no sleep aid I was ever prescribed was effective. About 8 mos. ago a new psychiatrist asked about sleep problems resulting in a script for 150 mg. Doxepin. Every night since-a full, deep night's restorative sleep!!"

gingersgone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2015

"I was prescribed 10mg pills for insomnia; I fall asleep readily, but can't stay asleep for more than 2 hours at a time. That's partially due to having dry mouth; drink something, have to go to the bathroom, wake up with a dry mouth, drink something, go to bathroom - vicious cycle. I'm awake for about 15 minutes after each episode. I took doxepin for 4 days out of 9. I started having very vivid dreams, to the point that I did not know what was actually real the next day. I also started feeling "who am I?", "where am I?","what am I doing here? - in other words, very disoriented. I had walked to a neighbor's house to get paperwork for the Civic Assn. I truly had no clue what the lists were, or what they were for. I glad I made it back home."

auntijoan (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

"For fifteen years I only slept 2 to 4 hours each night. I tried many medications and could not even sleep with barbiturates. I have been taking Doxepin now for ten years and sleep 7-8 hours each night. I take a high dose of 150mg. The downside is constipation and some dizziness. A worthwhile trade off."

CRUNJIX August 6, 2015

"I was having trouble falling asleep. I would lay there for hours. Still even with this drug I can't "fall" asleep and still I lay there for hours. This drug makes my eyes red watery and blurry. The next day after taking this med I am sooo sleepy. I just don't think this is the drug I need."

Sleepy grumpy dopey scary (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

"This drug barely did anything for me at 12 mgs and I find it pretty useless. Plus it made me shaky and nauseous the next day. Ugh. I hate insomnia but I will stick to benzos if I can right now. The only way I can sleep!"

Sleepless in Canada June 24, 2015

"This made me sooooooo tired and drugged feeling I could barely wake up! It was terrible! I hate insomnia but this was ridiculous! This stuff is not a solution! Unless all you do is sleep. So frustrated! Thought this was the one!"

Benzo addict May 18, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

"Prescribed doxepin in detox/rehab after traxadone did not work well. 25mg of doxepin works really well for me. 120 lb female age 26. Helps with anxiety and keeps me asleep even if I wake up to pee or something. I have gained some weight but I can't attribute it to the doxepin since I am only two months clean off opiates. But for addicts, definitely give it a try cause it worked wonders for me. Non habit forming too."

Olsensan February 9, 2015

"Helped me a lot with my insomnia. But gained over 50 pounds in the last 4 months. I have also noticed my hair getting thinner. I will not take this anymore. Going back to the dr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next