User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

"I got this for depression, I took 150 mg a day. Now I need 50 mg to fall asleep, sometimes even 100mg. I don't know how this works for people who take only 10-20 mg. Yes, I get a dry mouth, but that's ok. I noticed that I have very realistic dreams and sometimes a hangover for the next day (after 100mg)."

Jayden California January 10, 2016

"Had a brain injury, sleep 2 to 3 hours a night. Take Doxepin 10 mg I have found to take the capsule a part dump out about 5 mg of medicine. I can sleep 6 to 7 hours and wake up feeling great. No hangover. Even if I wake up during the night I can go back to sleep. This drug is wonderful if used correctly"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"These were awful for me!! At first I felt like a zombie. I've lost all all intrested and motivation to do anything! I'm extremely irritable and have pretty well yelled at everone I've talked to. I feel I don't have any control. The only thing I want to do is sleep for 48 hours straight. I'll take a week with no sleep over this thanks!"

Jaxc03 November 14, 2015

"Doxepin at 150 mg. saved my life! I've had chronic insomnia for as long as I can remember with sometimes several nights resulting in no sleep at all. I was diagnosed with a number of major medical problems from early adulthood, the worst of which being Type 1 Diabetes at age 24, so managing my overall healthcare now at age 55 is complicated by the severe sleep deprivation. I inherited all of the medical problems from both sides of the family tree and from my father, inherited a unique tolerance to any sedating medications, so no sleep aid I was ever prescribed was effective. About 8 mos. ago a new psychiatrist asked about sleep problems resulting in a script for 150 mg. Doxepin. Every night since-a full, deep night's restorative sleep!!"

gingersgone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2015

"I was prescribed 10mg pills for insomnia; I fall asleep readily, but can't stay asleep for more than 2 hours at a time. That's partially due to having dry mouth; drink something, have to go to the bathroom, wake up with a dry mouth, drink something, go to bathroom - vicious cycle. I'm awake for about 15 minutes after each episode. I took doxepin for 4 days out of 9. I started having very vivid dreams, to the point that I did not know what was actually real the next day. I also started feeling "who am I?", "where am I?","what am I doing here? - in other words, very disoriented. I had walked to a neighbor's house to get paperwork for the Civic Assn. I truly had no clue what the lists were, or what they were for. I glad I made it back home."

auntijoan (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

"For fifteen years I only slept 2 to 4 hours each night. I tried many medications and could not even sleep with barbiturates. I have been taking Doxepin now for ten years and sleep 7-8 hours each night. I take a high dose of 150mg. The downside is constipation and some dizziness. A worthwhile trade off."

CRUNJIX August 6, 2015

"I was having trouble falling asleep. I would lay there for hours. Still even with this drug I can't "fall" asleep and still I lay there for hours. This drug makes my eyes red watery and blurry. The next day after taking this med I am sooo sleepy. I just don't think this is the drug I need."

Sleepy grumpy dopey scary (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

"This drug barely did anything for me at 12 mgs and I find it pretty useless. Plus it made me shaky and nauseous the next day. Ugh. I hate insomnia but I will stick to benzos if I can right now. The only way I can sleep!"

Sleepless in Canada June 24, 2015

"This made me sooooooo tired and drugged feeling I could barely wake up! It was terrible! I hate insomnia but this was ridiculous! This stuff is not a solution! Unless all you do is sleep. So frustrated! Thought this was the one!"

Benzo addict May 18, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

"Prescribed doxepin in detox/rehab after traxadone did not work well. 25mg of doxepin works really well for me. 120 lb female age 26. Helps with anxiety and keeps me asleep even if I wake up to pee or something. I have gained some weight but I can't attribute it to the doxepin since I am only two months clean off opiates. But for addicts, definitely give it a try cause it worked wonders for me. Non habit forming too."

Olsensan February 9, 2015

"Helped me a lot with my insomnia. But gained over 50 pounds in the last 4 months. I have also noticed my hair getting thinner. I will not take this anymore. Going back to the dr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

Silenor (doxepin): "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

"I am an addict and have had chronic insomnia for 20 years, so as you would imagine I've tried everything and abused everything. Doxepin is a miracle med for me. I take 10 to 30mg depending on how sleepy I am. I have no side effects, no weight gain, no sleepiness the next day. Want extra help? Read up on Magnesium. Just added that with amazing results. Depression and anxiety...well haven't found the miracle for those yet."

EverydayAddict (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin): "Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow."

ann702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49."

zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2014

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin): "I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not."

Bccmor September 8, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication is the first I've tried for insomnia and it's better than nothing, but there has to be something better. I have problems staying asleep and 80% of the time it helps that, and if I wake up for the bathroom or a snack (okay two snacks), I can fall back asleep quickly. But the weight gain! I had no idea it would cause me to gain so much in a short period. 25 or so pounds in 3 months. I will be looking into Prosom instead and hopefully be able to drop this weight."

Veronica M August 22, 2014

"I started this medication about 10 days ago. Doxepin, 10mg, has been working more days than not. Like most medicines, the first few days it worked like a charm. I took it and I slept about 5.5 hours straight. Sometimes can go back to sleep for another 1/2 an hour. I do feel a little help in the anxiety category. Not a lot but it does help a bit. The bad thing about this medicine is that you feel very sedated throughout the day. You know you slept because of the vivid dreams and you don't wake up the whole night. Nevertheless, you feel extremely tired the whole day. I wish I didn't have to take medicines. But I rather be feeling sleepy and knowing that I slept as opposed to feeling sleepy due to no sleep."

aquabohdi August 10, 2014

"I've suffered with insomnia fire several years now. At times sleeping only 1 hour before having to get up to go to work. My Dr. prescribed Silenor but my insurance gave me Doxepin (25mg). Biggest mistake I made was taking right before bed because it doesn't help you fall asleep, only helps you stay asleep. Once I fell asleep, I didn't wake up at all until the following morning. If you have children or anyone else to depend on you for care, I wouldn't recommend it. I was actually awakened by my boys and I felt very drowsy, groggy, and irritable. So much so that I caught myself yelling at my kids. I wasn't able to function 100%. This would ONLY be good if you have nothing to do or no-one to care for the next day. "

Anonymous221098 June 14, 2014

"I love it."

Anonymous June 12, 2014

Silenor (doxepin): "I find it works really well keeping me asleep all night, I do have some wild vivid dreams but not that often, only down side for me is I am gaining weight"

Hot mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin): "I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back."

AnnieSmith11 May 13, 2014

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next