User Reviews for Donepezil

Also known as: Aricept, Aricept ODT

Learn more about Donepezil.

Lewy Body Dementia 3 reviews 0 medications

9.3
Alzheimer's Disease 23 reviews 26 medications

5.6
Mild Cognitive Impairment 7 reviews 0 medications

5.5
Summary of Donepezil reviews 33 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Donepezil

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife has taken Donepezil (first 5mg then after a year 10mg) for some three years. Initially her Folstein MMS score was 28/30 and is now 17/30. She has no apparent side effects. I cannot tell what my wife would be like without it - now her forgetfulness is almost instantaneous and she is now incapable of independent living."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Our mother was put on 10mg Aricept (started with 5mg) and after 2 months, had a completely different personality and had lost 16 pounds. (She started at 114 - lost almost 15% of her body weight.) It was AWFUL!! She had no appetite, was depressed, angry, and just a completely different person. I have read many terrible reviews now that we have been through this experience. Stay away from Aricept."

Julia H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "My husband took this drug for 3-4 weeks and got worse and worse that we took him off of it. Horrible drug!!!!!!!!!! He began to hallucinate, could not sleep, memory was worse, loss of appetite, talking in his sleep all night long, started falling, just awful side effects. Would never want him on this drug again."

Lorraine Melms November 30, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have taken Namenda and Ariceptfor years. Memory has improved! Have had the vivid dreams others have described, also muscle cramps. Is am going to cut back on the Aricept and see if it helps....although usually enjoy my dreams!"

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Mum has first stage Alzheimer's and was put on drug 8 weeks ago. She has gone from someone who was pleasantly confused, is now incontinent, won't eat or drink, sleeping all the time, and is now in hospital because she was found unresponsive! Had been examined by 4 doctors with in the 8 wks who all said she must stay on the drug! Even though it was blatantly obvious to the family it was the drug causing the symptoms! The drug was stopped 2 days ago and she is alert and talking"

Sandy cove November 4, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Trouble sleeping,stomach pain,headache,constipation,fever,"

SKC4767 October 26, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother was on this and had negative side effects, diarrhea, weakness, changes in behaviors, combative, using foul language, on 10 mgs. I complained and the MD took her off , then put her back on 3 months later, same side effects. I am disgusted at how these meds are prescribed and the side effects are WORSE that the behaviors. I am an RN, and this is abuse of our elder patients."

daughter, RN (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Mom is on this stuff just a short time now. Put on 5 mg, then 10, now to 20/day in an 8 week span. Her confusion got much worse, daily nausea set in no matter if taken with meal or not, sleep pattern really changed and attitude became combative and nasty. I am weaning her down to 10 mg/day and if no change I will take her to 5 then stop all together. This stuff may work for mild cases of alzheimer's but not for my mom"

Think not September 24, 2015

For Lewy Body Dementia: "My husband was recently diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, and the worst part was the hallucinations he was having of people coming in the house, threatening him, stealing things, hiding things and pretending to be me or one of his daughters. There was no dealing with these imaginary people. Our Neurologist suggested trying Donepezil (Aricept) and we started with 5 mg. and moved to 10 mgs since he had no side affects. It was amazing: his hallucinations stopped completely by the third day! They have never come back."

Onetoothree September 15, 2015

Mitzi2 September 15, 2015

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My 82 year old dad went on this med to slow the memory loss. It did seem to help that but we have had uncharacteristic behavioral issues where he can't keep his hands off the ladies. So much that it is a problem in the assisted living memory care unit he lives in and now he has to go to a behavioral place to change his Medicene. Sheeeesh!"

My dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Husband diagnosed 1/2014 at age 57. Put on donepezil at that time. Doesn't seem to have made much of a difference for him. His memory is not the issue as much, he has problems with judgement, spatial, sequencing, and vision. When first prescribed he was taking at night and had vivid dreams. He rather enjoyed them as most included friends family from years ago. Dr instructed he take the medicines in the morning as to not interrupt his sleep. The medicines also cause diarrhea. Modifying diet to try to compensate. Want to stay on the medicine in hopes of slower decline."

Anonymous November 12, 2014

For Lewy Body Dementia: "Within a week of starting on 1/2 5 mg pill, Aricept generic, my spouse's verbalization improved to the point where others noticed and volunteered a positive comment. Now on the full 5 mg pill per day, there are no side effects. And the psychoses have become fewer, shorter lasting, and less bizarre. The long and short term memory, though, has neither improved nor worsened. And my spouse has virtually no spatial or temporal awareness, which is no better or worse than before the meds."

eyeonthescreen (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2014

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "63 yr old woman, early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed July 2013. Prescribed Aricept 5 mg and Namenda. Found Namenda made me agitated and angry so quit. 10 mg Aricept and serious side effects. While waiting for new doctor to take over past neurologist's care, have adjusted meds myself to keep the memory help - which is astounding - and lessens side effects which includes severe muscle cramps in legs, water retention, ankle and hand swelling, back pain, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations. I now take 1/2 of the 5 mg tablet in morning and am still retaining benefits with reduced side effects. Aricept restored my ability to read and gave me energy and focus I have not had in 3 years. Lower dose on most meds always works better for me."

ALZ+ (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2013

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept ODT (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "5 mg helped but eventually it worked less well. 10 mg helped a lot for a long time but I think it stopped working again. No side effects."

minerva354 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2013

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I noticed a big difference once starting this medication. I do Suduko puzzles everyday. Eventually, I stopped taking this medicine because of leg cramps that kept me up at night, and I could not do Suduko as well. Once I went back on the medicine, I could resume my puzzles. My pharmacist gave me Hylands for leg cramps and now I sleep better and am not so foggy. Very happy."

Dementia patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom has been on Aricept for 5 months, 5 mg. Mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Medication has helped her be more alert, making longer conversations, better effect. Short memory exists but her condition had not worsened. Will see neurologist to determine to increase medication to 10 mg. Mom's condition has been stable and we are hoping to slow the disease."

Aldrich loop May 11, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "My spouse has been taking donepezil for about about three months. I notice some stability on her memory. The medicine does prevent her from sleeping normally. I notice she is restless for about two to three hours after taking it. She will be taking Aricept 10mg starting today 17 Aug 2012. I'm hoping that the medicine will continue to help her."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2012

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Our Mother has been on this medicine for sometime now and not sure if it's helping or not. She gets angry all the time and see's things and people. Whats to go home even when she is home and doesn't understand why she can't see her family. She seems to be stuck at this stage and isn't moving forward (not getting better not getting worse). She is losing weight and not sleeping and falling a lot. Don't know what to do, take her off or leave her on it. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2012

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, memory loss worsened."

kennm (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2012

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "In 2000, my mother suffered persistent diarrhea with this medicine, could not get rid of it until the medicine was stopped. My mother-in-law had the same problem this year. She also had delusions and paranoia, which have been almost eliminated by a medicine she started a month ago, Risperdone. If you try Risperdone, start with lowest dose, it makes her very sleepy and a side effect is depressed heart rate, can be dangerous. It also stimulates appetite, which was good for Mom, she was losing 1-2 pounds per week but the doctor cautioned against excess weight gain and concerns regarding diabetes. We're going to try 100 mg niacin, I've read that it can help cognitive function. Even when they don't know your name, they know when they are loved. Show them."

thewarner1 October 27, 2011

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Mother took Aricept 5 mg. for one week. She has vivid dreams and can not tell if they are in fact dreams or real. Also very tired."

Anonymous August 2, 2011

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept ODT (donepezil) for Mild Cognitive Impairment: "Within 3 days of a 5 mg dose my husband was a different person with a zest for life and stopping his 'shuffle' walk to a brisk walking pace. His mind is clear to tackle his Income Tax Return though his short term memory is still impaired but we can live with that."

kroner July 29, 2011

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have been on this medication for 4 months now. I am 55 with early-onset Alzheimer's. I have noticed a significant improvement. I do not feel so much anymore as if I am walking around in a fog. I have not had any side-effects at all from this medication. I am hopeful that it will stave off a rapid progression of this disease."

annemdougb November 22, 2010

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Two years ago my Mom used 5mg of Aricept for one month, she became almost a total zombie taking this medicine. Would not get out of bed, her mind was a lot worse than before she started taking it. A month ago she was put on 10mg of Aricept and after two doses was taken to the hospital, she was totally out of control and knew nothing of what was going on. It is not for everyone."

cjrowland September 13, 2010

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate