User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

Review by Trupes (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been effected by this virus all my life. I found Abreva and the blisters disappear within a few days of treatment. I have no side effects from this cream. The key is to catch it early and treat the blister(s) promptly and as prescribed. I am grateful for Abreva being an over the counter medication.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Jess893478274:

I was in Mexico and spent the whole day drinking at the pool (I think they did not wash glasses properly and I contracted it there). I went for dinner and just as I finished my meal I licked my lips and right away could feel the tingle, then bit my bottom lip where it was and had that very sharp pain. Could tell right away, having had several when I was younger. A single small blister had formed on my lip already and luckily I carry Abreva everywhere so I put some of that on right away. Next day it had "popped", I soaked that and put more Abreva. Was starting to heal and crust within 2 days. This is why the ladies in my family carry it everywhere. You have to use it straight away to stop the spreading, but its a life saver.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Mommy&wife (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medicine is amazing! It works wonders.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2014 2:10 PM

Review by alleycatj:

As soon as I feel a tingling on my lip I apply Abreva - have a tube at work, in car and at home. In 5 yrs I have not had a cold sore break out if I apply Abreva in time. LOVE THIS STUFF and would pay a lot more than the $20 cost - also HARMON has it for $15.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 11:14 AM

Review by Dusss (taken for less than 1 month):

Got a cold sore at the worst possible time.. Met a chick.. Cute chick.. Everything was perfect...really like her.. (who knows I might marry her). Anyway, after our first date I started getting a fever blister. She wanted me to come to her place the next day....Of course I couldn't do so...Checked into how to remove the blisters, found some Abreva and paid $20.. reluctantly for a small tube. Used it for 2 days.. using it almost every 2 hours. On the 3rd day its totally gone. No Blister at all. Could have lost the lady of my dreams. Woohoo Thanks Abreva.

December 22, 2012 2:17 AM

I love this product. Usually my cold sores are anywhere from 1-2 weeks, I woke up with a cold sore Friday got the cream and applied it at least every hour and that very day the sore burst on its own and it is Monday morning and its already healing and has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and I noticed its not as red as it was so its hardly noticeable. I'm sure this will be gone by Weds/Thurs the latest. It is very small packaging but every time I put some on I use a Qtip and a little goes a long way. It still looks unused and I've put it on at least every hour since I got it. Honestly at first I was discouraged from using it because of the reviews but I'm so glad I still got it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2012 1:44 AM

If you use Abreva at the onset of itching where the cold sore (herpes simplex) begins, apply it immediately at the dosage on the bottle (as with any prescription) - the cold sore does NOT crust over, this medication actually starts the healing process within by absorption. I'm just getting over one, and it was gone in 3 days without the crusty look, or scab formation that is the most embarrassing part of a cold sore and with Abreva; this does not happen. I highly recommend it, also, talk to your Dr. about Zovirax (Acyclovir). Using it in conjunction with the Abreva, works wonders!

December 11, 2011 7:20 PM

I recently got an ugly cold sore on the bottom of my lips but did not catch it early enough. I used Abreva during the blistering stage and already it has made a difference. The product is too dry for my lips however so I am using it in conjunction with Carmex. I am on the fourth day and the sore has gone down quite a bit.

July 1, 2011 1:46 AM

Review by ssscccssss:

I get cold sores once or twice a year, and Abreva has made them less noticeable and has shortened their length significantly. You have to catch them the first day though, or it makes little difference. It skips the blistering stage entirely - it goes from a tingle to having already crusted over.

November 30, 2009 12:48 PM

Review by PeteSFul:

The first two or three times I used this medication my lesions were past the "weeping" stage of the virus and on to healing. Subsequent applications of this medication now seem to have no effect. I've moved on to using Zovirax which seems like it not only halts any progress of the outbreak and my healing times are faster than any other medication I've used. Abreva just seems to not work at all now.

January 30, 2009 5:03 PM

Abreva makes my cold sores smaller and less noticeable. Before Abreva my cold sores would hang around for a couple of weeks but now it is less, maybe a week or a week and a half but the big difference is the size. You have to catch it first day though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2009 7:52 PM

I have used abreva everytime I get a coldsore/fever blister. I get them really bad all the time. I usually have coldsores/fever blisters any where from 3-4 weeks. Abreva has cut down how long I have them down to a week or a week and a half. It has also gradually made them smaller until they are gone.

November 14, 2008 4:18 PM