User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"HOLY CRAP I FINALLY FOUND ME A HOLY GRAIL.I'm a teenager who doesn't really suffer from cold sores I've had it 3 times in my life.In 5th grade, 10th grade and right now.The other two times I had a cold sore were not that bad I recall. My lip was not as swollen as it is this time .I woke up two days ago feeling a tingling and seeing a few little blisters and thought yes I caught it right before it gets too bad.I found some lysine. I was sure by that time the next day I'd be all set to go to work and no one would even know I had a cold sore.Turns out the lysine was expired which I didn't know so my lip kept getting worse.The next day my lip was huge and I was in a bunch of pain after work I bought abreva and followed direction. Now I'm way better"

Cold sore girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

"I felt the very 1st symptoms. . . Tingling mostly. I went to the pharmacy at 2am. Spoke to the pharmacist with a handful of treatment options from the shelf. The pharmacist chose Abreva explaining that the others were just for pain relief. Since I addressed the problem immediately & consistently, I never broke out in what I dreaded. A cold sore. I am so thankful!!"

GetRightOnIt! August 18, 2015

"It seems that using Abreva is a hit and miss for me. I always apply it at the first sign of tingling. Last time I used it, it stopped the Cold Sore immediately. This time, didn't have an ounce of affect! My optional cure when I realise the Abreva is not going to work is Carmex. Amazing!"

Fre2drm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2015

"I have suffered from cold sores since I was a teenager. Nothing worked! I've tried carmex,lysine,cold sore capsticks and nothing prevented nor stopped the process til abreva. I used to suffer the painfully swollen lip, ugly crusted scabs, and the pitying but slightly disgusted stares in silence and mortification. Now I have a remedy that completely ends the cycle and I couldn't be more happy! I will say that to see results you have to be diligent in your application of this product. I know the bottle says 4 times a day but I put the cream on every hour after the redness started and the cold sore never grew or left a scab! I know the cost is a little high but believe me it's so worth it. Another tip is to not buy the pump of abreva."

Very desperate individual! (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I've had cold sores my entire life. I have been on prescription pills to keep the cold sores from becoming too bad! Then I found Abreva. It works so well with the pills. I use it on the first sign a cold sore. I also put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and apply it on the first sign. This usually stops the blister from ever occurring! I would buy Abreva again."

The curse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2015

"Every few months I get a cold sore on my bottom lip. I have naturally plump lips so you can only imagine what this looks like with a plump cold sore smack right in the middle. It makes me want to hide inside for a few days :( I've been prescribed Valtrex, however, I don't always have time to get a new prescription so about a month ago, I went to the pharmacy next door and bought Abreva at the first sign of my cold sore (slightly swelling blister in tact under my skin). The first time I used it, it only decreased the speed which the cold sore formed and I was a bit disappointed. However, today, I've been applying it religiously since morning (kid you not like 3x an hour) and though it has taken nearly all day, my cold sore had reduced!!"

Lisa Leona Lelee August 7, 2015

"This is amazing. Never had sores until in my 20's and the first outbreak and several after that were horrifying...entire top and bottom lip covered in enormous sores at least ten on top and ten on bottom. I couldn't eat or drink unless from a straw it was that bad.I couldn't leave the house or people stared like I was a monster. Got an rx for valtrex and if I feel the tingle I take 2 pills then another 2 pills 8/12 hrs later I forget which it is, and I immediately dab abreva on (always with tissue I never directly touch the sore) and continue to apply it every few hrs as it states on package. Usually they may look like a tiny pimple and thats as big as they get then they just disappear. Valtrex alone doesn't help me I need abreva too. Great stuff!"

Dk808 July 28, 2015

"I caught my first cold sore in 3rd grade from a friend not realizing you shouldn't share water and am stuck with this virus for the rest of my life. Usually I'll get one annoying sore outbreak every 2-4 years (lucky I know but my immune system is strong and my behavior isn't risky for them) I was up late in my room on a Friday due to summer (aprox 1 am) and got that terrifying itch. Immediately I tore my bathroom apart looking for abreva. I put a bunch on but the sore still broke out. Since its summer I was able to stay home with no makeup and get lots of sleep. I put abreva on about 4 times a day along with sterilizing with rubbing alcohol and by Monday it was gone! Life saver if you have time to be antisocial."

High school student (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"I usually get cold sores twice a year, but this year they've appeared way more. I usually have Valtrex and they dissapeared in hours, but this time I had run out of them. So when i first noticed a single blister between my lip and chin I run to the pharmacy to buy Abreva. I applied it as indicated and sadly it didn't work for me at all. It might work for some as medicines are like that, but for me it didn't do anything at all."

Hope12 July 20, 2015

"I have suffered from impetigo a yellow brown crusting severe type of cold sore ever since I was a child. I get them when the seasons change or when I'm a little stressed out, or even just because the humidity in my house changes. It really sucks most of the time and I have went to my doctor and have gotten a prescription for antibiotic cream and even pills for impetigo. But they have never worked as effective as abreva has. If you want your cold sore to just go straight to the scabbing stage after it occurs then use abreva. It's only been the second day and it's already pretty much gone."

Mardygrahhh (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

"I had a cold sore on my lip and as soon as it went away two others popped up. They were so bad and I was so miserable so I finally went out and got abreva. I'm on day six of using the medicine and my cold sore is already gone! It would've went away so much sooner if I hadn't waited so long to get the medicine, it's expensive but it's definitely worth the price! I'd recommend abreva to anyone who has a cold sore you will not regret it."

TheUsed920 July 9, 2015

"Made my cold sore worse. It re-activated the cold sore and caused it to spread further. Do not buy this product. Bleach and clay masks have a much better effectiveness."

Jr124578 June 28, 2015

"I am in my 60's and have suffered cold sores most of my life. My first use of Abreva was a year ago.....I now use it a few times per year when I feel a cold sore coming on. I never have scabs or sores any more. The cold sore does not develop! I wish I had known sooner. It has made my life better. I cannot stand how big my cold sores get."

MzKK June 19, 2015

"There are reviews that may make you question it. But I've had cold sores I left untreated that left scars and lasted for weeks. This isn't a cure but it significantly reduced the size and time of my cold sore. It's worth the twenty bucks."

Krtsawnms (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

"First Major break out with cold sores, started on the lower lip and moved to the corner. I found this on the self and was going to pass it up when i saw the price...thank goodness i spent the money and went for it. This stuff works fast!!!!"

Graywolf1966 June 11, 2015

"This product works so good . felt a tingle early that morning cryed was depressed applies this for the first time five times a day the next day I'm usually use to huge oozing clusters all on my chin but I was amazed no Of that. It is now day 3 and it's completely gone ."

AllyTee (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Damn this stuff really works. I first got a cold sore 4 years ago and it usually happens every 6 months or once a year. And I knew it was due for an outbreak and once I felt a bump coming I told myself I'd buy a cold sore treatment and WOW in 3 days its already gone. BEST part is the swelling and pain goes away and its not even noticeable. I will always buy this product. There might not be a cure but Thank God for whoever made this product to ACTUALLY work. I'd pay double for this if that was the price. Who ever hasn't tried this and is hsv1 I very highly recommend to try product."

anthony160 June 3, 2015

"It really works!! Ive got cold sores twice before, the first outbreak was in the middle of my bottom lip and the corner of my mouth- at the same time!! It was so bad I still have a faint scar!! The second one was bad as well. This time by the time I felt the burning tingle and ran to the bathroom mirror there were already 2 tiny blisters!! I got Abreva immediately, but all reviews and directions say get it BEFORE the first blister shows. Well it didn't make the 2 tiny blisters I already had disappear (I normally have a cluster of 10+) but it made it so there was NO redness & it stopped any new blisters. Normally it takes 1-2 weeks to heal, I'm on day 3 and I'm amazed! Its expensive, but its 110% worth it"

KayKay305 May 17, 2015

"I have been plagued with cold sores my entire life and this is the only topical cream that works at all. My doctor also prescribed me Valtrex and when I pair the two my cold sore disappears within hours."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

"When it comes to cold sores, I've tried every remedy there is, both medical and home remedies. When I read all of the 'amazing' reviews of abreva I was pretty skeptical because I thought they might have been paid, but I after I bought and used abreva I felt compelled to write a review. It is the best! My cold sores tend to last for about 10 days and when I use abreva, the usually only last about 3. I'm pretty diligent with reapplying throughout the day, but I'm seriously so happy to have finally found a product that actually works."

Samus12873 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

"At first when I was reading these reviews I thought they were a bit excessive and was sure the company was paying people to write positive reviews. But after my experience I now can see they true. It was the first morning of my 3 week vacation in LA and I woke up with a cold sore. Awesome. It already was at its blister stage and so swollen and painful (top left side of lip). I got the abreva pump from cvs and spent a whole day continuously reapplying. It completely reduced the swelling and blister and now its completely shrunk and about to disappear and its day 2. Usually I get cold sores once or twice a year that last 10-14 days. I cannot believe this actually worked. definitely worth the $22"

ashley k April 12, 2015

"My experience with abreva was quite upsetting. I had a light coldsore breakout and used abreva on the first day. Three days later, not much difference at all. I even bought two tubes $44..wow Control this the proper way and have valtrex on hand."

PeterJS April 12, 2015

"Less than 2 days ago I noticed a large herpes bump on my upper lip and immedietly my heart sank. I grabbed the Abreva I had and applied it right away but I figured it was to late. My first time trying it and in less than 48 hours of application the "bump" shrunk down and has practically dissapeared. No outbreak, no redness or scabbing stage. It's like I completly skipped the entire outbreak!:) Im gonna start hordeing Abreva. 5 star experience!"

Hockaday95 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2015

"I haven't had a full on cold sore in 10 years. All due to Abreva. As soon as I feel that warm feeling and see a little red on my lip I apply it and an hour later it's gone. I keep a tube at home and in my car. I'll even apply some before a big date or event just in case. This stuff is amazing. I deal with clients daily, a cold sore is a deal breaker. Miracle."

ChuckyMeyers March 25, 2015

"I love this product. I've been getting cold sores for years and every time I felt one coming on I felt hopeless! Now when I feel the tingling/itchy I immediately use my Abreva and the cold sore never comes out! The trick is to use it as soon as you feel the tingling and you will be good!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015