User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"Only downfall is price."

Bri24 April 28, 2016

"I started taking Abreva after my cold sore had surfaced so it was not as effective as it could have been. What I liked about It is from the 1st day I started using it, it was already working to shrink my cold sore. I felt like every time I used abreva it would get smaller and smaller. I would apply Abreva and then a small amount of concealer make up to the area, and no one noticed that I had a cold sore while I was in public. Very glad I spent the extra money and went with Abreva; ain't nothin like the real thing baby! The only knock I have is for that small tube a they charge $20! That is highway robbery. It should be twice the size for the price. @ the end of my 1 wk cold sore I was scraping the bottom of the barrel, that is inadequate."

Jayce in Oz (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"On Tuesday evening I felt the familiar tingle/pain. By morning a tiny blister had started to form on my lower lip, on my way to work I picked up a tube (non-pump) of Abreva. I applied it liberally all day. Package says 5 times a day, but I probably doubled that. I rub a tiny amount into the skin and then gob on more that sat on top. I haven't had any bad side effects from using more than it says, but this is just my experience. It is now Friday afternoon, the blister has shrunk and still not popped. It's practically unnoticeable. I can feel that it's slightly raised and it's slightly pinker than the surrounding skin, but it's very slight. No pain at all. fingers crossed it will be gone soon! Hoping for 5 days tops."

HMarieMarieMarie April 22, 2016

"I am on my 2nd day using Abreva®, so far so good. I like how it numbs the area and stops the Itching. Very Relieving! In regards to "quicker healing", It has helped in avoiding a larger breakout. My breakout isn't as big and nasty as it gets without treatment so I am pleased so far, some things work different for others so I can only speak for myself but it never hurts to try!"

La Yekala (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"Every time I've used Abreva, it's knocked maybe 1 or 2 days off of the usual 10 days to 2 weeks of healing. I came here more to spread the word about LYSINE supplements. After tons of reading I heard about these pills and ran out to whole foods and bought super lysine (10$) after a very big breakout on my nose. I'm on day 5 and it's GONE. Yesterday I was able to conceal the healing very easily with makeup. Usually the experience of a cold sore breakout is traumatizing for me, putting it lightly. I could cry of happiness for finding these miracle pills. I took 600mg a day during my active infection, 500-1000mg for a week to make sure the infection is completely gone!"

Misses1234567890 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

"Way to expensive and does not work !!! Very disappointed !!"

Anonymous April 2, 2016

"Used it for 9 days straight. It didn't even touch it. Why doesn't anything ever work as advertised. :o/"

Cold Sore in corner of mouth (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"Absolutely did NOT work! Waste of $20 and there's no way to get a refund!"

Hatecoldsores March 23, 2016

"Twice now felt that dreadfull tingle in my lip, whipped out the abreva and boom it kept away the full blown breakout. Just a non painful small bump for 3 days. I kept up applying for 4 days and it never blistered never progressed abreva WORKS I am proof. I get a cold sore 2 times a year on my lip same spot. What use to take 7-9 days for it to run its corse now is 4 with no blister and no pain and nobody can even tell. Abreva A+"

Wardog19 March 12, 2016

"In the beginning when I felt the symptoms of herpes on my lip I went to pharmacy, which has offered abreva. I was using as per instructions - 5 times per day. 7 days later my lip looked as bad as 3rd day. When I finished first tube of abreva I went to another pharmacy and they again offered the same abreva. It's totally marketing and I am sure pharmacists are getting paid by selling this particular lip cream. It does nothing! It's expensive regular moisturizing cream!"

SimonaD March 1, 2016

"This is the only thing that works for fully grown cold sores, I have never tried to use it to stop a cold sore ( the only thing that stop an oncoming cold sore is wrapping a piece of ice in a napkin and letting it melt on the cold sore area) abreva is to speed of the healing process which it does very accurately, it basically just shrinks everytime u apply it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

"Just made it bigger and it started to bleed. Day 5 and no relief in sight. waste of time and money, I just hope it did not cause more damage."

Bla2 February 7, 2016

"The thing about cold sore virus is that they mutate very quickly. That means, they evolve quickly and thus will be able to fight off the cream. Therefore, everytime another cold sore appears, it is better to use a different cream that you have not used before. Or apply manuka honey on it, it will help lessen the itchiness, and may speed up healing time."

Zoe Tran (Duong) February 6, 2016

"the only thing that works. completely awesome."

wilson 3 February 5, 2016

"I did a CAMPHO PHENIQUE and ABREVA combo every 2 hours and knocked it out in about a week!!"

Her123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"Cold sores last up to 1 week to even 2 weeks if you don't use treatment. By using Abreva, you can shorten that time to around 4-6 days. Abreva isn't used to lower your cold sore nor get rid of it completely after only a couple of uses. It's used to shorten the length of your cold sore, very effectively."

zhdbshjaghdj January 27, 2016

"Abreva used to work for me, but the last couple of times I've used it.. it seemed liked it didn't do anything to help supress the sore.. this time my sore keeps getting bigger and bigger! I started applying as soon as I felt the sore coming on and it just didn't help at all! Same thing the last time."

Ugh! January 24, 2016

"I get a cold sore every one to two years. I've tried home remedies and haven't had much luck. It was my first time using Abreva yesterday. Felt the cold sore coming on in the morning around 5am. I made a trip to the store after a 9 hour work day. Thought I would give it a try as it was the most expensive. I applied it immediately when I got into the car and every 2 hours after that. By 10pm it had already blistered and started to decrease in size. I've applied it three more times today and by 1pm you could barely notice it. Abreva knocked out my cold sore like boss!"

First Time User (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"Had cold sores since I was 4 years old, when the core sore would first form it would feel tingly (NEVER ITCHY) and then as the cold sore grew it would be severely painful that if it was accidentally bumped into I would feel like going through the roof. sometimes it would grow as big as an adult males thumb nail and be about 1/2 inch thick. Initially I tried Lipactin Which I have to admit worked to make the cold sore a reasonable size. All I can say is Thank-God for Abreva because of this medicine, I can put it on and my cold sore reduces to the size of a pea or even smaller. For people that haven't had results I think it matters on how you feel when the cold sore is coming on, if yours is itchy this stuff might not work."

Sufferinginsilence (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

"Abreva is a expensive cold sore medicine that does not work. There was one that worked well, but I figure the manufactures of Abreva paid them off. It was called Viactrine and it worked well. I am not sure of the spelling as I have not been able to locate it for years"

k mcc (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I had a cold sore coming on and bought abreva put it on as directed the next day woke up with four more. I need to find something that works unlike this. Total waste of money."

Raynee January 9, 2016

"I've tried this product twice and both times it did zero to help even when applying at first "tingling". The cold sore took just as long to heal as when I use nothing. Plus it continued to spread on the third day. I applied 5 times a day as recommended and ran out on the 3rd day. Waste of money."

Walter12 January 7, 2016

"I woke up 3 days ago with a huge painful outbreak on my upper lip. I ran to the pharmacy and bought abreva and the cold sore is completely gone now. This stuff is a miracle. Worth every penny!!"

cold sore (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

"Abreva sucks. It is very expensive and never helps. The only thing that works is valtrex"

Aims as January 3, 2016

"Abreva sucks I don't get cold sores myself but my boyfriend does and every time he used abreva like it says when you start to feel it coming on he'd use it but abreva seems to only make it WORSE and puff out. So some lady said to try GLY OXIDE you can find it at any drug store but it works 10000 times better than abreva. Just thought I'd leave this thought with some of you maybe you can try it too."

cystal December 31, 2015