User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"Just made it bigger and it started to bleed. Day 5 and no relief in sight. waste of time and money, I just hope it did not cause more damage."

Bla2 February 7, 2016

"The thing about cold sore virus is that they mutate very quickly. That means, they evolve quickly and thus will be able to fight off the cream. Therefore, everytime another cold sore appears, it is better to use a different cream that you have not used before. Or apply manuka honey on it, it will help lessen the itchiness, and may speed up healing time."

Zoe Tran (Duong) February 6, 2016

"the only thing that works. completely awesome."

wilson 3 February 5, 2016

"I did a CAMPHO PHENIQUE and ABREVA combo every 2 hours and knocked it out in about a week!!"

Her123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"Abreva used to work for me, but the last couple of times I've used it.. it seemed liked it didn't do anything to help supress the sore.. this time my sore keeps getting bigger and bigger! I started applying as soon as I felt the sore coming on and it just didn't help at all! Same thing the last time."

Ugh! January 24, 2016

"I get a cold sore every one to two years. I've tried home remedies and haven't had much luck. It was my first time using Abreva yesterday. Felt the cold sore coming on in the morning around 5am. I made a trip to the store after a 9 hour work day. Thought I would give it a try as it was the most expensive. I applied it immediately when I got into the car and every 2 hours after that. By 10pm it had already blistered and started to decrease in size. I've applied it three more times today and by 1pm you could barely notice it. Abreva knocked out my cold sore like boss!"

First Time User (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"Had cold sores since I was 4 years old, when the core sore would first form it would feel tingly (NEVER ITCHY) and then as the cold sore grew it would be severely painful that if it was accidentally bumped into I would feel like going through the roof. sometimes it would grow as big as an adult males thumb nail and be about 1/2 inch thick. Initially I tried Lipactin Which I have to admit worked to make the cold sore a reasonable size. All I can say is Thank-God for Abreva because of this medicine, I can put it on and my cold sore reduces to the size of a pea or even smaller. For people that haven't had results I think it matters on how you feel when the cold sore is coming on, if yours is itchy this stuff might not work."

Sufferinginsilence (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

"Abreva is a expensive cold sore medicine that does not work. There was one that worked well, but I figure the manufactures of Abreva paid them off. It was called Viactrine and it worked well. I am not sure of the spelling as I have not been able to locate it for years"

k mcc (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I had a cold sore coming on and bought abreva put it on as directed the next day woke up with four more. I need to find something that works unlike this. Total waste of money."

Raynee January 9, 2016

"I've tried this product twice and both times it did zero to help even when applying at first "tingling". The cold sore took just as long to heal as when I use nothing. Plus it continued to spread on the third day. I applied 5 times a day as recommended and ran out on the 3rd day. Waste of money."

Walter12 January 7, 2016

"I woke up 3 days ago with a huge painful outbreak on my upper lip. I ran to the pharmacy and bought abreva and the cold sore is completely gone now. This stuff is a miracle. Worth every penny!!"

cold sore (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

"Abreva sucks. It is very expensive and never helps. The only thing that works is valtrex"

Aims as January 3, 2016

"Abreva sucks I don't get cold sores myself but my boyfriend does and every time he used abreva like it says when you start to feel it coming on he'd use it but abreva seems to only make it WORSE and puff out. So some lady said to try GLY OXIDE you can find it at any drug store but it works 10000 times better than abreva. Just thought I'd leave this thought with some of you maybe you can try it too."

cystal December 31, 2015

"I have used this product for years. I had no idea how well it was working till I went without it one time recently and had the most painful coldsore in recent memory. I will never leave home without it again. Yes it's expensive but when you think of it like paying 18 dollars to get rid of a couple cold sores faster and with less impact it is well worth the cost."

the worst (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 31, 2015

"I just had the second worst experience with cold sores. I have had them my entire life. Once I had two of them on my bottom lip in the sixth grade, horrible experience. Anyways. I just had one on my upper lip 2 weeks ago, Then got a cold. (Don't wipe your nose too hard!!) - caused me a minor cold sore, that was gone within a day with Abreva because I caught it soon. And if things couldn't get any better. The next morning I woke up with a fat lip and a nasty cold sore. I suspect it was due to my dry lips. Keep your lips moisturized! Abreva works guys. Trust me. My suggestion?? Pop those blisters and quickly dry them up with a tissue. and put Abreva over the blister for faster results. Think about it-- you're essentially speeding up the work."

Cold sore Vet (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 22, 2015

"Used Abreva once before - 2 yrs. and it worked. Have been using it once more (5 days now) with no results. If anything, the cold sore has gotten bigger. $20 wasted."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

"I've struggled with cold sores for about 25 years and this is the 1st product I've come across that actually keeps my sores under control. I use at 1st signs, and the sore is gone within a few days. I won't use anything else now."

Ang-pai December 14, 2015

"Did not work in reducing anything but the pain. Sore remained to get bigger and bigger, regardless of how many time I wash my hands and apply cleanly. Try garlic and apple cider vinegar. Cost less and works so much better than this stuff"

Zaraboo December 11, 2015

"I get cold sores about 2-3 times per year. Abreva has worked for me, but with caveats. If I can catch the sore at the very first tingle, I can limit its spread and it will heal up and go away in 3-5 days. It still looks bad for a couple of days, but at least it's not two weeks. The second to last time I used Abreva, I was traveling and couldn't get to it until about 12 hours after the first tingle. I applied Abreva, but it didn't have much effect, maybe quickening healing at best (the sore lasted seven days, untreated I'd expect a week and a half). In short, you really have to rush to apply it (and keep applying it every few hours), and it's a race against time with that first tingle, even if you aren't 100% sure it's an oncoming outbreak."

Bacith December 8, 2015

"I used to swear by this stuff... until today! I woke up this morning and thought I was beginning to feel it. I immediately went to the bathroom and put some on just in case. I reapplied a few times after realising it was definately a cold sore coming on. I usually can use it and they never fully develop. Not this time... this thing has exploded in blisters all over the right side of my top lip and this is the most painful one I ever remember having. Every time I reapply takes the pain away for a short time but then it's back with a vengeance!! I'm not sure if because my lips were kind of chapped maybe it was able to take off or its a real aggressive one this time or my body is used to abreva and its lost its super power?"

HDLew (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

"I get about one or two a year and always used abreva. Some how it never really works for me that well and wonder why they lasted up to a month. "

Me who December 3, 2015

"Idk why I continue to waste my money trying abreva. I put it on at the first sign of a cold sore. And I've been applying it as recommended, well. My cold sore is still progressing at the same rate that it would have I not used abreva. Its too expensive. I won't try it again."

Deni23 December 3, 2015

"I use this products on cold sores and it is a dream come true. Works great on keeping cold sores under control (but only if you catch it early) and even works on acne! I noticed a big red pimple on my cheek, dabbed some abreva on it before I went to bed, and it was 99% gone in the morning!"

:) December 2, 2015

"This product works great provided that you use it immediately at the first sign of a cold sore. If you wait too long to use it's like dousing a fire after it has already burned your house."

Joe America November 23, 2015

"I go into crisis mode when I start to get a cold sore. I get approx. 4-5 a year. Its very depressing especially if you have to do a lot of interaction at work. Abreva is over hyped. It does help but for me it only knocks 2-3 days off the healing which is still great but its not the miracle drug for me like others profess. I try to use abreva during the day and when I go to bed I put on Zovirax (prescription). Sore usually lasts 5-7 days whereas if I don't use anything it could last 2 weeks. God, how I hate cold sores!"

Why me! November 21, 2015