User Reviews for Depakote ER

Learn more about Depakote ER.

Mania 3 reviews 14 medications

Epilepsy 14 reviews 29 medications

Bipolar Disorder 15 reviews 46 medications

Migraine Prevention 20 reviews 32 medications

7.3
Hyperekplexia 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depakote ER reviews 52 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Depakote ER

For Bipolar Disorder "Very smooth mood stabilizer, no side effects. I take 1200 mg/d."

be2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I ben taking 1,000mg a day .I split up 500 in morning and 500 at night for 3 months. I gained 35pounds in the first month. Its a great mood stabilizer, but it only works part of the time. I have the shakes ,acne , vision problems from it. I took topimax before it was great but I got kidney stones from it . I need to get another med that actually works!"

d273 June 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose"

livelife52 October 13, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "I have only been taking Depakote ER 500 mg for 10 days now, or maybe I should say nights. I take it at bed time, & was supposed to start taking it twice a day after a week but the upset stomach, the shakes, (or extra nervousness), no sign of relief of my migraines, & I haven't been able to sleep at night either.. I'm going to tell my Dr. that I just can't take it any more."

Cowboy 61 June 22, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually."

X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Caused suicidal depression"

i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "After being on Depakote Er for 8 months, it was really effective in reducing the migraines. As side effects, I never gained one single pound, but the hair loss was just unbearable. I lost half of all my hair. I had to stop taking it, unfortunately. I have always had headaches, since I was a child. Before Depakote, I stayed one month having headaches every single day, had to stay in bed, couldn't even walk, and I felt like I reached the lowest point in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with the pain anymore, I had no life. After 2 weeks on Depakote er 500mg I started getting better. I was having only 8/10 per month. Now I'm on topiramate for 2 weeks, the hair is still falling a lot and the migraines are back, almost everyday."

PamelaCosta February 5, 2014

For Epilepsy "51 yr old female, I've had seizures since I was 12, every kind, I was on every medicine under the sun. Taking Depakote ER and Carbatrol ER seems to be only meds that work for me. some side effects nothing I can't handle, better than having seizures all day. (tired, sometimes depressed, trembles, jerks). I have gran mal / tonic clonic about 1 every 10 years."

ved (taken for 10 years or more) October 18, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "I've also been trying different preventive medication for migraines with my doctor and so far Depakote is working the best. I started with 250mg a day for the first week, now at 500 mg a day. Before this medication, I would wake up daily with chronic head pain in the neck or behind the eyes. Now I wake up almost every morning with a clear head. I haven't seen any side effects yet at this dosage and I've even lost weight since I've been proactive with daily exercise. I started walking 2 miles daily since taking this medication. With proactive exercise and eating habits, I think anyone can keep potential side effects at bay. Previously, I was on Topamax and had to stop taking it as the nausea/head fuzz was too severe for my line of work."

Toban M October 15, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine has been great for me. I do not feel any side effects. I actually lost 25 pounds... I had been on lithium for 28 years."

Anita Key (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2013

For Migraine Prevention "Medication was very effective at controlling silent migraines but long term use (more than 10 years) has resulted in a 60 pound weight gain, hair loss and shakiness. Recently have felt very fatigued and confused. "

CharlotteRosa May 21, 2013

For Epilepsy "Severe pain all over after taking, so I had to stop."

why45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was recently hospitalized during a manic episode. I have been treated for bipolar going on 20 years ( I'm 41). I have been on Zyprexa and other medicines for anxiety. I am a rapid cycler (frequent manic episodes). I have tried all the meds from A-Z. It's been a awhile since I've tried Depakote, but it's the first thing they put me on in the hospital. It's been 15 days I think it's ok, but when I lay down I feel like weights are holding me to the bed and I seem to get disorientated as to my location in the house ( weird right??). When I get up all is fine again. If anyone has experienced this please share, it would really help. Let's face it "regular" people would freak just having this discussion. "

Stacey M April 25, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote ER is the only medicine I can take for my bi-polar. I have side effects to every medicine I've been on for bi-polar. I can't take the generic. It really bothers my stomach. It doesn't do much for depression. Anything I take for depression makes me manic. I have been on almost medications on the market. I have to learn to live with depression and work my hardest to accept it. I've been living with bi-polar for 38 years. I wish that the brand name wasn't so expensive. It's very hard for me to afford but it must come before food if necessary."

Kirdar (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "It did help a bit, but you really have to watch out for side effects. I recommend starting a mood journal if you haven't already while taking this medicine. It made me very violent without realizing it."

Eli Kaito (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2013

For Mania "Depakote has really helped to get me out of the fog of mania. By the same token, so has lithium. I have found, though, that taking both together (by a doctor's suggestion) keeps the number of episodes pretty low. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes when I get manic, I spiral out of control and actually experience psychosis ( which is terrible). Good medicine though...better with other medicines."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2012

For Migraine Prevention "I had used this medication for more than 15 years, before it stopped preventing my chronic migraine headaches. I was taking it up to 2000 mg per: night daily and didn't have any side effects of it since the very beginning of taking it (in lower dose, of course) and even when took max dose as described. Had a very easy adjusting to it, also and no unpleasanties whatsoever."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

For Migraine Prevention "I along with most people here have had an excellent result with Depakote ER, however the biggest side affect for me is the weight gain. (10 lbs in a month!!)May I add, I eat healthy and work out...it just keeps coming. I've been on Topamax for 17 months with no relief. I hope there's something else I can try that's comparable to Depakote ER, I really don't want to be obese from medicine."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

For Migraine Prevention "My 12 year old son has been having migraines for 2 years now. At first it was only once every few months. However, it progressed to once or twice a week - with vision aura and speech disturbance. I took him to a Pediatric Neurologist and he said it was likely from puberty. He prescribed 500 mg of Depakote ER. It seemed to start working right away. It has been almost 2 months now and he has only had one migraine now in almost 2 months. Far better than before. He hasn't had any of the noticeable side effects - hair loss, weight gain. He takes it before bedtime. It is hard to get him up in the morning but don't know if that is from the medicine or from going to bed too late!"

seanhanamom February 6, 2012

For Migraine Prevention "This has worked better then anything else I've tried. I have gained weight though and I still get the flashes of light and dark spots. "

crimsonbelle70 January 14, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on DEpakote ER for about 7 years and regularly for 5 years before. I am a rapid cycler I think. Currently prescribed 2000mg/day (1000 in the morning and 1000 in the evening). I notice weight gain (though could be due to less nightly manic behavior and age), some upset stomach at times, overall, I think it stabilizes me. Caffeine does make me feel more alive when on ER. Otherwise feel quite lethargic, apathetic, less motivated. I tend to feel more like I am depressed when taking this medicine. Will look into combination of Anti-depressive. "

whollottamanicactivityhere October 24, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "Excellent mood stabilizer, it takes a while to kick in but it's worth it."

qwerty123312 October 4, 2011

For Migraine Prevention "I have been on Depakote ER for three weeks. I've had 4 migraines during this time, which is less than before the Depakote ER. My GP had me on three different medicines for prevention but the neurologist switched me to Depakote ER. I've had a little weight gain. The problem is I'm on weight watchers and should be losing weight. There have been times where my hands have felt shaky (similar to too much caffeine intake). I think its also effecting my vision. I'm going to call the doctor and ask to switch to something else. Basically its helped reduced my migraine frequency but not enough to live with the side effects."

Joani S September 7, 2011